PDA

View Full Version : ASU/UM not in top 100 stories of '07- ESPN magazine

terrierbob
December 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I've just read and re-read ESPN magazine's top 100 stories in sport for 2007( DEC.31 issue) and didn't find a mention of the biggest upset in college football. Have I missed it? Anyone out there that subscribes?

ERASU2113
December 26th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I subscribe but haven't seen it yet. I have it delivered to my school address and I'm at home for Christmas.

When SportsCenter did the Year in Review today they mentioned it. Chris Berman had it in his Top 10 Plays of '07. So I'd guess you missed it most likely.

FCS Preview
December 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I've just read and re-read ESPN magazine's top 100 stories in sport for 2007( DEC.31 issue) and didn't find a mention of the biggest upset in college football. Have I missed it? Anyone out there that subscribes?

Is the list on-line somewhere?

RadMann
December 26th, 2007, 07:31 PM
They probably had a UM grad on the board that votes on the top 100 stories... (with a veto vote) lol

terrierbob
December 26th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I found it mentioned as a fine-print three line blurb in a side bar within the write-up in # 32: college football's year of the upset and upstart. I certainly think it deserves its own numerical ranking.

FCS Preview
December 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I found it mentioned as a fine-print three line blurb in a side bar within the write-up in # 32: college football's year of the upset and upstart. I certainly think it deserves its own numerical ranking.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 26th, 2007, 08:11 PM

I found this but I didn't see the top 10 on there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3161805

terrierbob
December 26th, 2007, 08:22 PM
top ten:1. Barry Bonds 2. Michael Vick 3. Manning/Dungy 4. U FL dual championships 5. Tim Donaghy, dirty NBA ref 6.Mitchell report 7. Duke LaCrosse 8. Marion Jones 9.Patriots 10. A-Rod
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3161504&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab7pos1

AppStsGr8
December 27th, 2007, 07:06 AM
It's a pretty sad day when so many of the Top 10 stories are about things gone wrong ... steroids, dog fighting, cheating, false accusations, doping, etc. It would have been nice to see a "clean" Top 10.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 27th, 2007, 07:47 AM
It's a pretty sad day when so many of the Top 10 stories are about things gone wrong ... steroids, dog fighting, cheating, false accusations, doping, etc. It would have been nice to see a "clean" Top 10.

Ditto.................pretty sad.....

GrizFoo
December 27th, 2007, 02:35 PM
They probably had a UM grad on the board that votes on the top 100 stories... (with a veto vote) lol

More than just UM, most FBS people probably want to sweep this under the rug...just that little conspiracy theory part of my brain whirling.

It doesn't make the FBS look good, doesn't really make their system look all that good, IMHO. About the only thing good about it for them is that ASU won it all in the "better" division.

The FBS clowns don't even want the money spread out in their conference, I'm sure anything that shows and even "lower" division having great talent, great games, and a true National Champion has to bite a bit, even if the FCS is but a pesky fly in their meal.

****, look at Deleware, great story if you ask me. Beating another Bowl team in Navy. Has anyone done a consolidated FCS over FBS study for the season..I've been off the boards and out of the loop for sports news for quite a while and trying to catch up a bit. But the fact that ASU and Delaware both had losses, yet reached the title game, and the fact that undefeated teams went down, in some cases pretty early in the playoffs, I think it is just a great story, and a great example of how awesome the playoffs are.
F%*! the big news and big money grubbing, collusioning, asshats.

damn, didn't mean to go mental there. peace.

CamelCityAppFan
December 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM
It's hard to believe that the only time a I-AA has ever beaten a ranked I-A did not make the list, but this did:

34. Trinity completes an improbable comeback against Division III Millsaps with a Play-of-the-Year 15-lateral game-winner.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 27th, 2007, 03:03 PM
top ten:1. Barry Bonds 2. Michael Vick 3. Manning/Dungy 4. U FL dual championships 5. Tim Donaghy, dirty NBA ref 6.Mitchell report 7. Duke LaCrosse 8. Marion Jones 9.Patriots 10. A-Rod
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3161504&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab7pos1

Manning/Dungy's VICTORY TOURS were a bigger story than the upset?

A-Rod's season (and offseason) was more of a story than the upset AND the Red Sox's second World Series title in four years? They didn't even have the common decency to talk about Stray-Rod the married guy bringing a Toronto stripper into his hotel room.

Donaghy SHOULD be a big story, but it's hard to say since absolutely nothing has been done about it and none of the NBA fans seem to care that their games are fixed.

What about Delaware State and Delaware finally playing in football? Did that make the list? It probably should have...

CSN-info
December 27th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Has anyone done a consolidated FCS over FBS study for the season.Of course CSN maintains a running list:

FCS vs. FBS ('00-'07)
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=87537

xthumbsupx

terrierbob
December 27th, 2007, 03:55 PM
http://re3.mm-a6.yimg.com/image/3649853131
More than just UM, most FBS people probably want to sweep this under the rug...just that little conspiracy theory part of my brain whirling.

It doesn't make the FBS look good, doesn't really make their system look all that good, IMHO. About the only thing good about it for them is that ASU won it all in the "better" division.

The FBS clowns don't even want the money spread out in their conference, I'm sure anything that shows and even "lower" division having great talent, great games, and a true National Champion has to bite a bit, even if the FCS is but a pesky fly in their meal.

****, look at Deleware, great story if you ask me. Beating another Bowl team in Navy. Has anyone done a consolidated FCS over FBS study for the season..I've been off the boards and out of the loop for sports news for quite a while and trying to catch up a bit. But the fact that ASU and Delaware both had losses, yet reached the title game, and the fact that undefeated teams went down, in some cases pretty early in the playoffs, I think it is just a great story, and a great example of how awesome the playoffs are.
F%*! the big news and big money grubbing, collusioning, asshats.

damn, didn't mean to go mental there. peace.

asshat. Ilike typing it. asshat. I like saying it. asshat

bench
December 27th, 2007, 04:03 PM
It would have been nice to get a blurb of our own, but we were at least mentioned, so that was nice. Besides, it's not like we're not getting any love. I read three consecutive stories on ESPN.com and Deadspin yesterday that mentioned us, and the FCS write-up in Sports Illustrated was very nice.

fjblair
December 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM
ESPN is like a petulant child. Looks like they are intentionally snubbing ASU and/or FCS becuase of their botched broadcasts and the negative feedback they must have received. If the ASU/Michigan can't make it then the list is a farce imo. For that matter 3 championships in a row should make the top 100.

What a load.....

Proud Griz Man
December 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Picked up the LA Times and ... there is another article and picture of ASU over Michigan.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2007-12/34441595.jpg

Appalachian State's Hans Batichon, left, and Dexter Jackson celebrate during the stunning 34-32 victory over No. 5 Michigan at Ann Arbor on Sept. 1.

Season of the switch
Down was up, up was down and the upsets just kept on comin' in the most topsy-turvy college football season ever.
December 27, 2007

Rapid-fire recap of the craziest college football season on record, typed with flying fingers while listening to Chopin's "Minute Waltz."

* Sept. 1: Appalachian State shocks No. 5 Michigan in Ann Arbor, 34-32; sets topsy-turvy tone for a Looney Tunes season; world wouldn't see another upset like it for . . . days (See: Stanford boards plane for Los Angeles, Oct. 5).

* Notre Dame botches opener to Georgia Tech, 33-3; don't call it a rebuilding year. "May God strike me dead if I use that word." (See: Irish Coach Charlie Weis, media day, August 2007).

* Sept. 15: Poor 0-2, injury-savaged Utah must face relatively uninjured UCLA, ranked No. 11, in Salt Lake City. Bruins go down, 44-6.

Notre Dame falls to 0-3; God prepares to strike?

* Sept. 22: USC crushes Washington State; Appalachian State, winner over Michigan, loses to . . . Wofford.
* Sept. 28 (Friday). No. 5 West Virginia sets off weekend Rube Goldberg-like chain reaction with a four-turnover loss at South Florida.

* Sept. 29 (Saturday): For the love of Barry Switzer . . . No. 2 Oklahoma loses at Colorado; Auburn upends No. 4 Florida (so much for a sophomore winning the Heisman Trophy); No. 7 Texas tumbles; No. 10 Rutgers falls flat, as does No. 11 Oregon, to California, which looks like the team to beat this year.

USC ekes out win at Washington, looks to extend home winning streak to 36 against Stanford.

* Oct. 6: Western Union wire: 41-Point Underdog Stanford Shocks USC, 24-23. . . . STOP. . . . Winning QB's first name is "Tavita." . . . STOP. . . . Pig seen flying over Coliseum. . . . STOP.

Notre Dame returns to Rose Bowl for first time since 1925; needs seven turnovers to score 20 points in a win over UCLA, which needs a quarterback.

* Oct. 13: Associated Press' No. 1 and No. 2 fall on the same weekend for the first time since 1996, as No. 1 Louisiana State bows in triple overtime at Kentucky and Cal, poised to be No. 1 for first time since 1951, falls to Oregon State when backup quarterback Kevin Riley lets time expire before Bears can win or send the game to overtime with a field goal; Cal Coach Jeff Tedford slams headset to ground.

* Oct. 14 (Sunday): First BCS standings released. Ohio State is No. 1, followed by South Florida, actually located in Tampa.

* Oct. 18: (Thursday). South Florida no longer No. 2 after loss at Rutgers; Scarlet Knights fans storm field; first time anyone storms field after win over South Florida.

* Oct. 20: LSU needs only a field goal to beat Auburn; Coach Les Miles prefers the heart-attack risk; clock ticks toward zero; quarterback Matt Flynn throws a 22-yard scoring pass to Demetrius Byrd with one second left; Tigers win, 30-24.

Temple (yes, Temple) wins third straight game; wonder if Owls Coach Al Golden has ever interviewed with a chancellor in Westwood?

UCLA shocks Cal, 30-21; locker-room hugs for Karl Dorrell; Bruins control Pac-10 destiny.

Rocky plane ride to South Bend for USC; game not rocky, Trojans win, 38-0; pollsters not impressed.

Kansas finally leaves state to play, wins at Colorado, improves to 7-0, moves to No. 12 in AP poll; no one expects it will last.

* Oct. 25 (Thursday) Boston College is two minutes from becoming the fourth straight No. 2 casualty; Matt Ryan rallies Eagles with two late touchdowns to beat Virginia Tech, 14-10; Red Sox poised to sweep Colorado in World Series, read about it on Curt Schilling's blog; Patriots still unbeaten.

* Oct 27: Seven of top 16 BCS schools lose; four out of five dentists think season is "officially nuts"; USC loses at Oregon; is there a better player than Dennis Dixon?

Georgia beats Florida (repeat: no way a sophomore wins the Heisman).

Most misleading scoring summary from weekend: "Riley Curry 44 pass from Blake Barmore. 1 play, 60 yards." Last play between Trinity and Millsaps actually involved 15 laterals.

* Nov. 3: Joy in Mudville (Eugene); No. 4 Oregon beats Arizona State on the same day Florida State upsets No. 2 Boston College; Heisman Trophy appears to be Dixon's to lose; left knee tweak suffered with 13:01 left is deemed not serious; "knee is fine," coach says.

Navy ends 43-game losing streak to Notre Dame; Kansas crushes Nebraska, 76-39; Cornhuskers Coach Bill Callahan starts counting down the days; Hawaii improves to 8-0 but still can't crack the BCS top 15.

* Nov. 10: Illinois shocks No. 1 Ohio State in Columbus; visitors run out the final 8:09 on vaunted Buckeyes defense; LSU headed back to No. 1; things have never looked better for No. 3 Oregon.

Navy beats North Texas, 74-62; it's not a basketball score; teams combined for 63 second-quarter points.

Kansas and Hawaii are the only unbeaten teams left.

* Nov. 11 (Sunday): Ohio State crashes to No. 7 in BCS standings, national title hopes DOA; Kansas rides deplorable schedule to No. 3 BCS ranking; Hawaii rides deplorable schedule to No. 16; what's wrong with this BCS picture?

* Nov. 15 (Thursday): Dixon's knee is the opposite of fine; Oregon keeps his injury a secret at player's request; Dixon plays against Arizona; knee buckles with 6:01 left in the first quarter; it's a torn ACL. Arizona beats Oregon; another No. 2 goes down; Dixon's Heisman hopes are dashed; ditto for Oregon's national title bid.

* Nov. 16 (Friday). Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan sits out most of Nevada game because of a concussion. Dan Kelly kicks game-winning field goal to make Hawaii 10-0; BCS hopes still alive. Whew.

* Nov. 17: Oklahoma doesn't get a chance to become new No. 2, loses at Texas Tech; Ohio State beats Michigan, clinches Rose Bowl bid unless something really screwy happens; Kansas and Missouri win to set up most important "Border War" game in history of rivalry.

Cal drops to 6-5 after loss at Washington.

* Nov. 22 (Thursday): USC runs over Arizona State; where was this Trojans team all year?

* Nov. 23 (Friday): No. 1 LSU loses another triple-overtime game, this time to Arkansas; Hawaii wins WAC title with home victory over Boise State.

Nebraska blows lead to Colorado, giving up 34 unanswered points; interim AD Tom Osborne to meet soon with Callahan.

* Nov. 24: Callahan fired; No. 2 Kansas loses to Missouri; Oregon, without Dixon, fails to score against UCLA; Bruins athletic director jots down name of Oregon coach.

* Nov. 25 (Sunday) BCS standings: Missouri is No. 1, West Virginia No. 2.

* Dec. 1 (Saturday morning): Miles will be next Michigan coach; wait, no he won't, Miles says in pregame news conference. LSU beats Tennessee to win SEC title; Ohio State hasn't played since Nov. 17; (Saturday night): No. 1 (Missouri, to Oklahoma) and No. 2 (West Virginia, to Pittsburgh) lose on same weekend for the third time this season.

Hawaii defeats Washington to complete a 12-0 season.

* Dec. 2 (Sunday). Ohio State and LSU end up 1-2 in BCS standings, will play for national title; LSU jumps from No. 7 to No. 2, Georgia coach is upset; Rose Bowl picks 9-3 Illinois to play USC; Hawaii finishes No. 10, earns Sugar Bowl bid; national columnists decry corrupt BCS system, many demand playoff; bottom line: hell will freeze first.

* Dec. 3 (Monday): UCLA fires Karl Dorrell and hires . . . ?

* Dec. 8 (Saturday): A sophomore does win the Heisman.

* Dec. 14 (Friday): Appalachian State beats "Big Blue" to start season and "Blue Hens" (of Delaware) to end it.
* Dec. 16 (Sunday): Miles doesn't take Michigan job, but West Virginia coach does.

* Also: Notre Dame finishes 3-9 but wins final two games; Irish own longer winning streak than either team playing for BCS national title.

'Twas the season.
[email protected]

terrierbob
December 27th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Notre Dame finishes 3-9 but wins final two games; Irish own longer winning streak than either team playing for BCS national title.

xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx xlolx

rjg129
December 29th, 2007, 07:33 AM
That just confirms that mag is not worth the paper its printed on....I have a subscription thats up for renewal (subscription was free with airline miles)....I will not be wastin my time or money with that rag...