PDA

View Full Version : Savannah State Hires a New Head Coach . . .

gatadotcom
December 23rd, 2007, 09:02 AM
. . . and he's white!

http://savannahnow.com/node/420252

Laserlips
December 23rd, 2007, 09:59 AM
And...

Hope he's being well paid, because he's going to earn every cent if he hopes to turn that program around....

JP

blueballs
December 23rd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Congratulations to Coach Wells...

... and also to former GSU great Raymond Gross (one of the greatest QB's EVER in 1-AA) for NOT being hired, Raymond will find much greener pastures in his future.

GAD
December 23rd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Sounds like a good hire, I just hope he's given the time and resources he needs to be successful

Panther88
December 23rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
. . . and he's white!

That's supposed to mean what? Was there a quota or AA in place or something? xconfusedx

Boy, some of you need to really, seriously take a looooooooooooooooooooong look @ your mindset before you meet your own creator/maker.

Franks Tanks
December 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
It says in the article that the previous HC Lemon was only making 65k a year!!! Thats incredible-- no wonder they were having difficulty finding a good coach with that pay.

SU Jag
December 23rd, 2007, 02:42 PM
. . . and he's white!

And your point is...............?xrolleyesx

DFW HOYA
December 23rd, 2007, 02:45 PM
It says in the article that the previous HC Lemon was only making 65k a year!!! Thats incredible-- no wonder they were having difficulty finding a good coach with that pay.

That's not unusual at some schools... xeyebrowx

eaglesrthe1
December 23rd, 2007, 03:26 PM

I don't know if its the point, but Wells would be the first white fb coach at SSU... AFAIK.

Franks Tanks
December 23rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
That's not unusual at some schools... xeyebrowx

Really? what does Kelly at G-town make ?

TexasTerror
December 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM

I think the point that he is white, race is going to come up -- and according to the article, already has as some SSU folks are not too happy.

SSU -- if you want a strong program and eventually a conference invite (which you continue to lack), your going to have to do something, a gamble perhaps. Not sure what it is, but if this is it -- so be it.

SSU, time to pour some resources out there into several areas of your program...

lc83
December 23rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
When I read the first post of this thread I thought: "I bet someone will jump on him for making a comment about race."

I don't understand that whenever someone mentions race there is someone else who will make something out of nothing or label that person as a racist.

It's like the kid in elementary school who always has to be the person who tells on the kid who did something bad. This is the same person who will be trying to tell someone that they're wrong for saying something about race.

SU Jag
December 23rd, 2007, 05:11 PM
I think the point that he is white, race is going to come up -- and according to the article, already has as some SSU folks are not too happy.

SSU -- if you want a strong program and eventually a conference invite (which you continue to lack), your going to have to do something, a gamble perhaps. Not sure what it is, but if this is it -- so be it.

SSU, time to pour some resources out there into several areas of your program...

Then the SSU people are jackasses then! If he's the best guy it doesnt matter what color the guy is.

SU Jag
December 23rd, 2007, 05:11 PM
When I read the first post of this thread I thought: "I bet someone will jump on him for making a comment about race."

I don't understand that whenever someone mentions race there is someone else who will make something out of nothing or label that person as a racist.

It's like the kid in elementary school who always has to be the person who tells on the kid who did something bad. This is the same person who will be trying to tell someone that they're wrong for saying something about race.

Who labeled him?

mathman
December 23rd, 2007, 05:12 PM
That's supposed to mean what? Was there a quota or AA in place or something? xconfusedx

Boy, some of you need to really, seriously take a looooooooooooooooooooong look @ your mindset before you meet your own creator/maker.
Savannah State is an HBCU so they have a 'mission' to support and advance the black (or African American if you prefer) community. They aren't and can't be exclusively black but they would want to do all they can to help further the careers of black individuals. Coaching is one area I'm sure they'd like to see more blacks participate in so yes, hiring a white coach is somewhat surprising.

SU Jag
December 23rd, 2007, 05:19 PM
Savannah State is an HBCU so they have a 'mission' to support and advance the black (or African American if you prefer) community. They aren't and can't be exclusively black but they would want to do all they can to help further the careers of black individuals. Coaching is one area I'm sure they'd like to see more blacks participate in so yes, hiring a white coach is somewhat surprising.

You make a great point. We had a public forum at Southern when I was a student about white coaches at HBCUs. Because outside of HBCUs there are not many black coaches in college football, despite their being many and I do mean many qualified canidates. Their have been many cases where schools have overlooked black coaches to hire whites who have been recycled.

Kill'em
December 23rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Agreed about good black coaches being overlooked. What pleases me about this hire is that the new SSU administration is willing to look "outside the box." It is important to find the best candidate, not the best black candidate. Mr. Flythe really wants to build a winner there and I guess he feels Coach Wells is the one to get SSU headed in that direction. I hope Coach Wells has lots of success and those who are angry at his hiring will eventually embrace him.

Panther88
December 23rd, 2007, 07:13 PM

Where does it say that in THEIR mission statement ol' all-HBCUism-knowing one?

jesus *F'N* christ some of y'all are stuck on _ _ _ _ _ _. xbawlingx

Zoo
December 23rd, 2007, 07:37 PM
And...

Hope he's being well paid, because he's going to earn every cent if he hopes to turn that program around....

JP

Seriously.

That program down there at Savannah State is a complete mess right now.

Kill'em
December 23rd, 2007, 07:37 PM
The biggest hurdle any coach has to overcome is if the players buy into what he is saying. Even though there was only one player in attendance because of the winter break, he seemed very impressed. This, is most important and it looks like Coach Wells is off to a good start. It is easier to be successful if the players believe in the coach and what he is trying to do.

Seawolf97
December 23rd, 2007, 07:44 PM
Bottom line if he makes them competitve and moves the program along- maybe into a conference such as the Big South in few years-then the athletes ans school are better for it.

nothingbutjsu
December 23rd, 2007, 08:04 PM
I'm happy to see Savannah State making a change. I don't give a crap if his skin is green, if he can bring that program out of the cellar, I'll be thrilled.

Model Citizen
December 23rd, 2007, 08:33 PM
If they were going to break barriers, they should've hired Goldie Hawn. She turned that other team into winners.

nothingbutjsu
December 23rd, 2007, 08:49 PM
If they were going to break barriers, they should've hired Goldie Hawn. She turned that other team into winners.

LOL...xthumbsupx

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 24th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Put it this way, Valdosta High School has a better football program right now than Savannah State University. VHS has better facilities, support, etc. It's really sad but it is true.

I honestly wouldn't even be surprised if VHS would beat them in game (although the two teams will never meet).

And to the guy who asked what does it matter what color the coach is, you really don't know how SSU has traditionally operated. SSU is in a not so nice area of one of the most racially divided cities in America. If you are under the impression that black vs. white politics and power struggle doesn't exist in 2007, you haven't lived in the South for any length of time (especially in cities like Charlestown, Savannah, Augusta, Montgomery, New Orleans, etc.). It may not be right, but it is the reality of the situation. Historically, racially entrenched cities in the South have naturally segregated. That is one of the biggest reasons there are more HBCU's in the South than any other region. So for a struggling HBCU in Savannah, Georgia to reach out and hire a white guy who went to Furman (pretty much the polar opposite of Sav. State) to coach football, it is certainly noteworthy.

mrklean
December 24th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Put it this way, Valdosta High School has a better football program right now than Savannah State University. VHS has better facilities, support, etc. It's really sad but it is true.

I honestly wouldn't even be surprised if VHS would beat them in game (although the two teams will never meet).

And to the guy who asked what does it matter what color the coach is, you really don't know how SSU has traditionally operated. SSU is in a not so nice area of one of the most racially divided cities in America. If you are under the impression that black vs. white politics and power struggle doesn't exist in 2007, you haven't lived in the South for any length of time (especially in cities like Charlestown, Savannah, Augusta, Montgomery, New Orleans, etc.). It may not be right, but it is the reality of the situation. Historically, racially entrenched cities in the South have naturally segregated. That is one of the biggest reasons there are more HBCU's in the South than any other region. So for a struggling HBCU in Savannah, Georgia to reach out and hire a white guy who went to Furman (pretty much the polar opposite of Sav. State) to coach football, it is certainly noteworthy.

What the hell are you talking about?????

As far as neighborhood, SSU is in a better neighborhood than most of HBCU's. I can walk from campus and not see crack heads and Hoes ruuning from the cops. Unlike, Howard, Morehouse and Bama St or FAMU.

Why dont you think that a HBCU would hire a white coach. Unlike you, some people dont give a damn what color a person as long as they get the job done.

And you wonder why we still have Affirimitive Action!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 24th, 2007, 08:01 AM

As far as neighborhood, SSU is in a better neighborhood than most of HBCU's. I can walk from campus and not see crack heads and Hoes ruuning from the cops. Unlike, Howard, Morehouse and Bama St or FAMU.

xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

lizrdgizrd
December 24th, 2007, 11:03 AM
While some people here are focused on race, I think the biggest problem here is that this new coach is a Furple. xeekx xeekx xeekx

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Why dont you think that a HBCU would hire a white coach. Unlike you, some people dont give a damn what color a person as long as they get the job done.

And you wonder why we still have Affirimitive Action!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't wonder why we still have Affirmative Action (which btw, is not ONLY for African Americans....). I'm glad to attend a University that is so diverse. GSU has always been a front runner in the state for civil rights and promoting the educational opportunities of minorities (google Marvin Pittman or Dale Lick). I grew up in an affluent golf suburb of Augusta. There were more Indian kids at my high school school than African American kids. Then I came to college and over 1/3 of my school is African American. But I think that is really cool. I love my black friends to death and would do anything for them. I have learned a ton from them and it is normal for us to discuss our differences and learn from each other. So please, don't think that I am ignorant or close minded because I assure you that is not the case.

And true, Sav. State might not be in as rough an area as some other schools but that doesn't take away from the fact that the area is still pretty rough. A few years ago Savannah had the highest homicide rate per capita in the country. Their general crime rate was also through the roof. We did a case study on it in sociology. Guess what part of town was the epicenter? Not that far from Savannah State, about a 2 minute drive. You can find crack heads and hos in Hollywood and Laguna Beach. I was talking about the poverty and crime that plagues inner cities.

Why would I think an HBCU wouldn't hire a non-black coach? Maybe because one of the biggest themes of HBCU's is promoting the advancement of African Americans. Football coaches, especially at these schools, are like father figures to their players. A lot of the players at these schools didn't have the best home life growing up and many of them grew up without a father figure. It would make sense to choose a coach that would provide the best guidance on and off the field to help develop these young men. That most likely would come from someone who has been there before and has faced the same struggles as his players. Someone who they can look up to as a role model who overcame the adversity and who they can learn from. Yea, a white guy from Furman (gag) can coach football but he won't be able to empathize with certain aspects of what are going on in his players lives. He may be able to sympathize, but not empathize.

With that said I hope Savannah State is able to turn around. They have only one place to go and that is up. Still, the truth is it is not a good situation and I can see this not working out.

Kill'em
December 24th, 2007, 04:16 PM
While I agree the east side of Savannah is rough (I have a scar in my back to forever remind me of my encounter with the Ricky Jivens Gang), Savannah St is not in that bad of an area.

Back to the topic, I really hope one day we can not use race in any discussion. It doesn't matter to me and I doubt the players care, either. What they want is someone who can lead them to respectability.

Ruler 79
December 26th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Does anyone know if they give the full allotment of 63 scholarships? As bad as they have been I don't imagine they do but I could be wrong.

Eaglesrus
December 26th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Does anyone know if they give the full allotment of 63 scholarships? As bad as they have been I don't imagine they do but I could be wrong.

They definitely do not. I've seen it in the newspaper, and although I don't remember what the exact number was, I think it was only around 30.

MarkCCU
December 26th, 2007, 08:47 AM
. . . and he's white!

He's white? Who cares as long as he can help Savannah State not suck!xrolleyesx xnonono2x

MarkCCU
December 26th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Then the SSU people are jackasses then! If he's the best guy it doesnt matter what color the guy is.

As long as he ain't Red. I hate them Injunsxmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xlolx

j/k

Panther88
December 26th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Why would I think an HBCU wouldn't hire a non-black coach? Maybe because one of the biggest themes of HBCU's is promoting the advancement of African Americans. Football coaches, especially at these schools, are like father figures to their players. A lot of the players at these schools didn't have the best home life growing up and many of them grew up without a father figure. It would make sense to choose a coach that would provide the best guidance on and off the field to help develop these young men. That most likely would come from someone who has been there before and has faced the same struggles as his players. Someone who they can look up to as a role model who overcame the adversity and who they can learn from. Yea, a white guy from Furman (gag) can coach football but he won't be able to empathize with certain aspects of what are going on in his players lives. He may be able to sympathize, but not empathize.

This makes for a very compelling argument and thesis Blueandwhitefightfight. :)

I thought HBCUs were for the advancement of all though? xconfusedx I never saw anything in HBCUs creationisms that said it was segregated and delegated to educate ONLY people of color. xconfusedx Just like PWCUS, or not (as evidenced by the fact that most PWCUs didn't integrate until it was shown lol that the SPORTS FIELD OF PLAY should be the FIRST entity to integrate so that all could achieve that ever elusive victory/"W"/nat'l champ/conf champ/et al. xconfusedx And... If that's true, why in the heck do I see "black" (pun intended lol) when I look along the sidelines of ut-austin, oklahoma univ, okl st, et al PWCUs and their HCs and asst coaches are white whilst lol having a SURPLUS # of blacks along the sidelines in pads? Double-ditto for basketball players @ ohio state, kentucky, memphis, et al PWCUs (BCS schools). :) Surely those aren't the same "father" figures you speak of, eh? Since those black guys come from "broken homes" and such. (paraphrasing):(

Interesting. :) Discuss. :)

Laserlips
December 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Savannah State is an HBCU so they have a 'mission' to support and advance the black (or African American if you prefer) community. Coaching is one area I'm sure they'd like to see more blacks participate in so yes, hiring a white coach is somewhat surprising.

FWIW:

I think if I were a Savannah State fan I'd be more concerned about winning a football game every now and then than worrying about whether the coach is black or not.

Perhaps a coach who can concentrate 100% on FOOTBALL rather than the aspects OTHER than of being a head football coach in an HBCU is a good thing?

Time will tell.

JMOFO

J.Pomeroy

GaSouthern
December 26th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Not sure if anyone realized or mentioned this yet but he was adopted by a black family and grew up in a black household. Interesting TidBit! xnodx

paward
December 26th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I wish him well. Would love to see Savannah State and Georgia Southern renew that game.

Kill'em
December 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I wish him well. Would love to see Savannah State and Georgia Southern renew that game.

I would too, but not until the program becomes more competitive. I don't know if it would be in the best interest of either program, right now. Georgia Southern needs to beef up its out-of-conference schedule and Savannah St needs to beat the ones on their schedule (specifically, the D-II's and NAIA's). We'll see what Coach Wells can do.

SU Jag
December 26th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Hopefully he can get them on track.

Kill'em
December 27th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I just hope the administration and the fans will be patient. He has a lot of work to do and little talent. This is going to be a major building job. I thought Coach Lemon had a good recruiting class last year and if those kids stick with the program then Coach Wells might have some blocks on which he can lay his foundation.

mathman
December 27th, 2007, 06:14 PM
FWIW:

I think if I were a Savannah State fan I'd be more concerned about winning a football game every now and then than worrying about whether the coach is black or not.

Perhaps a coach who can concentrate 100% on FOOTBALL rather than the aspects OTHER than of being a head football coach in an HBCU is a good thing?

Time will tell.
In principle, I agree. But as the acronym HBCU suggests, whether or not the coach is black is a big deal. He's a very high profile figure. I would also understand if the student body at an HBCU insists that its president be black and as well as at least a majority of its faculty.

SU Jag
December 27th, 2007, 06:45 PM
In principle, I agree. But as the acronym HBCU suggests, whether or not the coach is black is a big deal. He's a very high profile figure. I would also understand if the student body at an HBCU insists that its president be black and as well as at least a majority of its faculty.

No the acroym means Historically Black Colleges/Universities. There are HBCUs with majority white students and falculty. Go back to the drawing board!
http://www.nyfiskalumni.com/HBCU.htm

mathman
December 27th, 2007, 06:56 PM
No the acroym means Historically Black Colleges/Universities. There are HBCUs with majority white students and falculty. Go back to the drawing board!
Well, yuh learn somethin' noo evr' day! :)

Not sure what the HBCU tag means anymore then. Of what need is it?

eaglesrthe1
December 27th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Not sure if anyone realized or mentioned this yet but he was adopted by a black family and grew up in a black household. Interesting TidBit! xnodx

Pretty sure his adoptive parents are white.

Eaglesrus
December 28th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I said earlier that I thought that SSU gives out about 30 scholarships; today's paper says it's just 24! Also in today's paper the new coach talks about his hopes of playing teams like UGA and GA Tech in a couple of years. I guess it's good to dream big.

UAalum72
December 28th, 2007, 08:10 AM
I said earlier that I thought that SSU gives out about 30 scholarships; today's paper says it's just 24!
That's fewer than the NEC limit; Boogs and Pete better take SSU out of their power rankings for a couple of years.

The coach seems to have heard about App's upset this year

""In fact, this past year I believe one of those (FCS) teams (Appalachian State (http://savannahnow.com/content/related?topic=Appalachian+State+University)) went up to The Big House (Michigan (http://savannahnow.com/content/related?topic=Michigan)) and won. "

http://savannahnow.com/node/422160

terrierbob
December 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM

What HBCU has a white majority?

Ruler 79
December 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM
As I have posted before I would love to take this job if I were a coach. The school may be in a tough area but the overall region is beautiful (isin't it?) if my memeory serves me correctly.

Football wise they are below the NEC, PL, and the Pioneer in terms of scholarships/aid at this point. They should schedule these teams although I think the upper echelon teams in all 3 conferences would run over them at this point. Think Valpo, Butler, Georgetown, Bucknell, St. Francis, Sacred Heart. They could probably squeeze out 4 wins right there. I know travel is involved and they are going to need to spend some $ to right this ship but in scheduling these teams they would be eliminating the DII's and NAIA teams and give them a shot at a winning season right away. Combine this with their regular schedule they could get to 6-5 pretty quickly.

SU Jag
December 28th, 2007, 10:46 AM
What HBCU has a white majority?

West Virginia State, Bluefield State, and there is one other but the name escapes me.

mathman
December 28th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Savannah State has only a little over 3,000 students and an endowment of only $2.5 million. I don't think it is big or rich enough to play at the FCS level.

Armstrong Atlantic isn't much bigger at a little over 6,000. Maybe in the spirit of integration and to give Savannah a somewhat significant school other than the Savannah College of Art and Design, SSU and AASU perhaps should merge. Maybe call it the University of Savannah. Savannah shouldn't have to rely on a school 50 miles away. It should have its own major university...and then they could possibly have their own decent FCS team.

Eaglesrus
December 29th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Savannah State has only a little over 3,000 students and an endowment of only $2.5 million. I don't think it is big or rich enough to play at the FCS level.

Armstrong Atlantic isn't much bigger at a little over 6,000. Maybe in the spirit of integration and to give Savannah a somewhat significant school other than the Savannah College of Art and Design, SSU and AASU perhaps should merge. Maybe call it the University of Savannah. Savannah shouldn't have to rely on a school 50 miles away. It should have its own major university...and then they could possibly have their own decent FCS team.

I am relatively certain that this will never happen. There would be a huge negative outcry on the SSU side related to diminishing their status as an HBCU. They are set up to avoid some overlapping programs, i.e. SSU has a business major while Armstrong doesn't, and it's the reverse with nursing and education majors, but I think that's the closest to a merger we'll ever see.

mathman
December 29th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I am relatively certain that this will never happen. There would be a huge negative outcry on the SSU side related to diminishing their status as an HBCU. They are set up to avoid some overlapping programs, i.e. SSU has a business major while Armstrong doesn't, and it's the reverse with nursing and education majors, but I think that's the closest to a merger we'll ever see.

Sure, I can see it being politically unpopular but as pointed out earlier, being HBCU doesn't seem to be imply a school's future makeup. I wasn't aware about efforts to avoid overlap of programs so that would make an even better case merging the two schools. The present result is both schools are academically weaker and kills off any hope for a decent sports program in Savannah. Like I said, unless they can get a lot of money, Savannah State should not be FCS and I think even AASU is too small. There is no professional sports program to compete with so I'd think Savannah is ripe for its own college sports team that is in Savannah. And for Savannah's economic future, it really needs a decent university and it sounds as if resources are being split between two schools and the result is both are mediocre. Here in Atlanta, there doesn't seem to be much concern about overlapping of programs. Georgia State was in a position to be the largest university in the state but Kennesaw State has siphoned off a lot of that growth. Now Kennesaw State is almost as large (enrollmentwise) as Georgia State. I think it would have been better to concentrate and put all that money and advanced programs at Georgia State. As a result, Georgia State is not as great as it could have been and Kennesaw State is likewise a low-tiered school. Fortunately we have Georgia Tech and Emory. In general, I think the state of Georgia did poor placement of schools around the state. Augusta, Savannah, Macon, and Columbus should have regional universities to promote and support their economies.

Anyway, back to the point, yeah, I'm sure merging SSU and AASU would be difficult but it would be for the best. I see the problem with overlap but I think dividing programs between schools is just a bad.

Tribe4SF
December 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Sure, I can see it being politically unpopular but as pointed out earlier, being HBCU doesn't seem to be imply a school's future makeup. I wasn't aware about efforts to avoid overlap of programs so that would make an even better case merging the two schools. The present result is both schools are academically weaker and kills off any hope for a decent sports program in Savannah. Like I said, unless they can get a lot of money, Savannah State should not be FCS and I think even AASU is too small. There is no professional sports program to compete with so I'd think Savannah is ripe for its own college sports team that is in Savannah. And for Savannah's economic future, it really needs a decent university and it sounds as if resources are being split between two schools and the result is both are mediocre. Here in Atlanta, there doesn't seem to be much concern about overlapping of programs. Georgia State was in a position to be the largest university in the state but Kennesaw State has siphoned off a lot of that growth. Now Kennesaw State is almost as large (enrollmentwise) as Georgia State. I think it would have been better to concentrate and put all that money and advanced programs at Georgia State. As a result, Georgia State is not as great as it could have been and Kennesaw State is likewise a low-tiered school. Fortunately we have Georgia Tech and Emory. In general, I think the state of Georgia did poor placement of schools around the state. Augusta, Savannah, Macon, and Columbus should have regional universities to promote and support their economies.

Anyway, back to the point, yeah, I'm sure merging SSU and AASU would be difficult but it would be for the best. I see the problem with overlap but I think dividing programs between schools is just a bad.

Savannah's resurgence as a city has been closely tied to the development of the Savannah College of Art and Design. SCAD has led the reclamation of many buildings in the historic district, and the infusion of capital into the city continues to grow. SCAD now has over 9,000 students, and was named last spring as the hottest school in the country to study art. My son is a Freshman there.

Eaglesrus
December 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM

I don't disagree that a true merger would make sense in a lot of ways, I just say it won't happen unless the BOR decides to do away with Armstrong Atlantic as a seperate entity (even though it's larger) and fold it into Savannah State. I've heard absolutely no discussion of that, and don't think it would ever happen, either. I don't think you can compare GA State - Kennesaw to Savannah State - Armstrong as there isn't the dynamic of one being an HBCU, nor is their a comparison between the students they target to serve.

mathman
December 30th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I don't disagree that a true merger would make sense in a lot of ways, I just say it won't happen unless the BOR decides to do away with Armstrong Atlantic as a seperate entity (even though it's larger) and fold it into Savannah State. I've heard absolutely no discussion of that, and don't think it would ever happen, either. I don't think you can compare GA State - Kennesaw to Savannah State - Armstrong as there isn't the dynamic of one being an HBCU, nor is their a comparison between the students they target to serve.
True there is no merger discussion of the two schools. I was just saying that it would probably be for the best. I think both schools should be done away with a recreate it as the University of Savannah. Right now SSU is 95% black and AASU is about 23% black. Merge the schools and it will have about 10,000 students and it would be about 45% black. I suppose most students in Savannah aspire to go to Georgia Southern over AASU and SSU.

I was just using the Georgia State/Kennesaw State comparison to show how splitting of programs and resources enervates a region's schools. Although in my example, it weakened Georgia State more and deprived it of being among the leading universities of the state. Which probably suits UGA just fine.

mathman
December 30th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Savannah's resurgence as a city has been closely tied to the development of the Savannah College of Art and Design. SCAD has led the reclamation of many buildings in the historic district, and the infusion of capital into the city continues to grow. SCAD now has over 9,000 students, and was named last spring as the hottest school in the country to study art. My son is a Freshman there.
I certainly noted SCAD's contribution in an earlier post. But it is only in art and design and whatever economic impact its presence has. (SCAD even now has a branch campus in Atlanta as does Mercer, as does UGA, and stangely Troy University.) My point was that Savannah needs a stronger comprehensive university to support its economy and Georgia Southern is too far away. UGA is roughly 80 miles from Atlanta's center but we really don't figure in UGA's impact on our economy and UGA keeps trying to muscle in on Atlanta's eduction market. I don't know why the BOR allows it. I thought that's why we have Georgia State, Georgia Tech, Kennesaw State, Clayton State, Georgia Perimeter, Southern Poly, and the new Georgia Gwinnett . Atlanta is not so underseverd that we need UGA's presence as well. xmadx But I digress. :D

bluedog
December 30th, 2007, 02:33 PM
The 18-year coaching veteran began his career as an assistant coach at Greer High School from 1990-1995. Wells received his first opportunity as a head coach at Murray High School from 1995-1997.

As a player, Wells was a four-year letterman at Furman University as a fullback and wide receiver (1986-89). He was a member of the 1988 Furman NCAA Division I-AA National Championship team.

Wells received his bachelor's in health and physical education from Furman in 1990 and his master's in adult education from the University of South Carolina in 2000.
xreadx

soweagle
December 31st, 2007, 08:49 AM

Maybe Furman and Wofford should merge.;) :D

mathman
December 31st, 2007, 10:22 AM
I did note your emoticons. But it's worth noting that the difference with Furman and Wofford is that they have money. Furman has close to $500 million and Wofford has $130 million. Besides, they are cities apart. Armstrong Atlantic and Savannah State are both in Savannah just 9 miles apart.

OL FU
December 31st, 2007, 11:17 AM

I like Furford better than Woffmanxnodx

Monarch History
December 31st, 2007, 03:18 PM
Bottom line if he makes them competitve and moves the program along- maybe into a conference such as the Big South in few years-then the athletes ans school are better for it.

I so agree with this statement. Pete Adrian took Norfolk State to its first winning season since joining the MEAC. xbowx Ask the team and Alumni if they care if he is white?xsmhx

jonmac
December 31st, 2007, 06:24 PM
Where does it say that in THEIR mission statement ol' all-HBCUism-knowing one?

jesus *F'N* christ some of y'all are stuck on _ _ _ _ _ _. xbawlingx

Ok, couldn't let this go, as hard as I tried. Funny(not at all, actually) how you have a problem with someone mentioning the race of a coach but you obviously seem comfortable using this phrase. Please ease up just a bit, dude.xeyebrowx