PDA

View Full Version : Biggest FCS stories of 2007

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM
Well, at least the ones that stick out in my mind...

1. App. State beating Michigan (by a mile, and will probably be the FCS story of this decade)

2. App. State winning a third straight national championship, first time anyone in DI has done it in (at least) a long time. Also, Jerry Moore becomes one of three coaches to win more than two trophies.

3. CAA setting a record with five teams in the playoffs (4 AL bids)

4. First ever Delaware versus Delaware State game.

5. Controversial firing of Montana State's Mike Kramer

6. Rhode Island's upset of UMass (not only that, but also UMass matching Rhode Island's field goals with three safeties).

7. Brian VanGorder's quasi-benchwarmer wins Walter Payton award.

oh yeah, and...

8. The streak of "The Rock" ends and Armanti Edwards gets his first and only true loss as a starter. :D

any others?

ElonPride
December 21st, 2007, 10:14 PM
How about Elon true Frosh QB Riddle throws for almost 4,000 yards and nearly leads a team, picked last in the SoCon, to an auto bid and the SoCon title. Oh, and Riddle also broke Covington's SoCon record of TDs responsible for :)

HaveFunKc
December 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM
How about three undefeated teams in the playoffs and none make it past the quarter-final round?

WrenFGun
December 21st, 2007, 10:58 PM
CAA has SEVEN Teams with SEVEN wins.

TheBisonator
December 21st, 2007, 11:12 PM
NDSU beating two FBS teams in the same year, first since Citadel in 1992.

grizband
December 21st, 2007, 11:27 PM
Northern Colorado beating Montana State for their first Big Sky win since joining the conference in 2006.

Eyes of Old Main
December 21st, 2007, 11:54 PM
Kent Briggs gets fired paving the way (maybe) for much needed improvement for long-suffering Western Carolina Catamount fans. :)

RadMann
December 22nd, 2007, 09:04 AM
Long suffering UD fans have hope as the University gets a new president who actually discusses replacing Delaware Stadium with a state of the art facility.

Seawolf97
December 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
How about Stonybrook way up north playing in the Big South in 2008!

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2007, 10:57 AM
Some from my side...

1) Jackson St vs Grambling -- Return of SWAC megapowers
2) Steven Whitehead of McNeese, one of the most explosive players in FCS, misses season, granted a medical redshirt
3) UCA competes for Southland Conference championship in first year in SLC

The Moody1
December 22nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Fixed it!

8. The streak of "The Rock" ends and Armanti Edwards, returning for his first game and coming back from his injury a game too early, gets his first and only true loss as a starter. :D :D :D :D :D

SuperJon
December 22nd, 2007, 12:19 PM
Maybe this wasn't big nationally, but it was big for us:

Liberty Dominates Conference Two Years After Being 1-10.

ElonPride
December 22nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
Maybe this wasn't big nationally, but it was big for us:

Liberty Dominates Conference Two Years After Being 1-10.

That is a HUGE turnaround! Going from 1-10, to 8-3 and a conference title 2 years later.....really a big accomplisment!

SuperJon
December 22nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
The only game we weren't in was against you guys. I think the turning point for our program was the CSU game. We lost two close games (Toledo and W&M) and got down early against CSU, then came back and our scored them 43-0.

93henfan
December 22nd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Villanova allows Delaware to use its offices to prepare for SIU semifinal game after server at UD facility crashes during short week after return from icy UNI. Now that's burying the hatchet!

Also, TapeGate, atrocious officiating by MEAC officials, and Keeler blowing off Michigan.

citdog
December 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
NDSU beating two FBS teams in the same year, first since THE Citadel in 1992.

fixed itxmadx

how about a Military College finishing third in the best FCS Conference and doing it in the last three games with a Freshman QB?

citdog
December 22nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
How about Stonybrook way up north playing in the Big South in 2008!

damn yankees invading again!xnodx

Grizalltheway
December 22nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
fixed itxmadx

how about a Military College finishing third in the second best FCS Conference and doing it in the last three games with a Freshman QB?

Accurate

UMass922
December 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
It seems you're going for in-season stories, but the passing of Eddie Robinson warrants a mention nonetheless.

DetroitFlyer
December 22nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
PFL excluded from the playoffs for the 15th season in a row. Dayton goes 10-1, defeats PL Champion Fordham at Fordham and is exluded from the playoffs!

Mountaineer
December 22nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
PFL excluded from the playoffs for the 15th season in a row.

That's no longer a story, it's a tradition. :D

lizrdgizrd
December 22nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
fixed itxmadx

how about a Military College finishing in a four-way tie for third in the best FCS Conference and doing it in the last three games with a Freshman QB?
Accuracy. :D

lizrdgizrd
December 22nd, 2007, 07:49 PM
PFL excluded from the playoffs for the 15th season in a row. Dayton goes 10-1, defeats PL Champion Fordham at Fordham and is exluded from the playoffs!
That's no story. That's the expected result given your OOC schedule. xrolleyesx

Screamin_Eagle174
December 31st, 2007, 11:22 PM
How about a 3006 3-8 Eastern Washington team going 8-3 a year later, thumping the undefeated no. 2 seed in the first round, and losing by a FG to the eventual three-peat national champs? :D

Ivytalk
December 31st, 2007, 11:25 PM
Harvard overtakes Yale in The Game to win its third outright Ivy title in the 2000's!xnodx xbowx xthumbsupx :D

Purple For Life
January 1st, 2008, 07:07 AM
UNI posting the first undefeated regular season in Gateway Conference history.

FCS Preview
January 1st, 2008, 07:31 AM
How about a 3006 3-8 Eastern Washington team going 8-3 a year later, thumping the undefeated no. 2 seed in the first round, and losing by a FG to the eventual three-peat national champs? :D

Screamin_Eagle174 got a DeLorean from Doc Brown for Christmas. xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
January 1st, 2008, 05:58 PM

And a sixer of tallboys, which turns out, doesn't actually improve my typing skills! xlolx

AmsterBison
January 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM
I think the conference shuffling is kind of a big deal since it will affect the FCS for years to come (e.g. North and South Dakota State go to the Gateweay and the U's of North and South Dakota going to the Great West to keep it on life support).

SoDakState
January 1st, 2008, 07:50 PM
xrotatehx
NDSU beating two FBS teams in the same year, first since Citadel in 1992.

That's cool and very respectable, but your forgeting about SDState beating NDSU who beat two FBS teams in one year. This victory also secured SDSU's first conference title since the 60's.......(I know exactly what's coming next, someone is bound to crack a joke about displaying the trophy right next to our port o potties because the plywood trophy case broke)

GABison
January 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM
You have a trophy case?:)

Thunderstruck84
January 2nd, 2008, 09:38 AM
That's cool and very respectable, but your forgeting about SDState beating NDSU who beat two FBS teams in one year. This victory also secured SDSU's first conference title since the 60's.......(I know exactly what's coming next, someone is bound to crack a joke about displaying the trophy right next to our port o potties because the plywood trophy case broke)
Good for SDSU, a conference title is something to proud of and to win it in a rivalry game is even sweeter. But that doesn't diminish any of NDSU's previous victories. I'm proud of the fact that the Bison were able to handily defeat the MAC champs and get the first win in school history against Minnesota, albeit and regardless of that team's 1-11 finish. I would've loved to see the Bison win the Great West and finish undefeated but they didn't, kudos to SDSU for denying them but I'm still very proud of the season NDSU had as a whole.

appfan2008
January 2nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
I love having the top two stories of the year!!!

BEAR
January 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx ....Bwaaaahhaaaaaa! Made my day! I noticed his year too but ignored it...that was classic FCS Preview! Hey, where is UCA in 3006??? xlolx xlolx

Walkon79
January 2nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Northern Colorado beating Montana State for their first Big Sky win since joining the conference in 2006.

Nice little dig at your rival, but hardly a top-ten