PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Buck Buchanan/Walter Payton Award Candidates

smallcollegefbfan
December 21st, 2007, 08:53 PM
With Mr. C at the helm I have a feeling we might see more interesting picks such as the inclusion of offensive linemen and there will probably be less of two players from one team making each list. With that among my thoughts here is a look at who I am guessing will be on the preseason lists.

What do you guys think? Anyone missing?

PAYTON

QB Armanti Edwards, App State
QB Matt Nicholls, EWU
QB Liam Coen, UMASS
QB Rodney Landers, JMU
QB Rhett Bomar, SHSU
QB Dominic Randolph, Holy Cross
QB Allan Holland, EKU
RB Tyler Roehl, NDSU
RB Herb Donaldson, WIU
RB Jordan Scott, Colgate
RB Corey Lewis, UNI
RB Rashad Jennings, Liberty
RB Mike McLeod, Yale
WR Ramses Barden, Cal Poly
WR Terrell Hudgins, Elon
WR Andre Roberts, Citadel

Just Missed: QB Scott Riddle, Elon; C Stephen Field, Cal Poly; OT Joel Bell, Furman; QB Jonathan Dally, Cal Poly; WR/RS Jeremy Gilchrist, Hampton; QB Nathan Brown, UCA

BUCHANAN

DE Greg Peach, EWU
DE Gary Tharrington, App State
DE Matt Marcorelle, Delaware
DE Pierre Walters, EIU
DE Jovan Belcher, Maine
DT Mark Huygens, UNI
DT Mychal Savage, YSU
LB Bobby Daly, Montana State
LB Jason Williams, WIU
LB Russell Reaves, Delaware State
LB Mario Brown, Gardner-Webb
LB Andy Romans, Lafayette
CB Al Donaldson, Alabama A&M
CB Sean Smalls, UMASS
S Colt Anderson, Montana
S Ladarius Webb, Nicholls State

Just Missed: LB DJ Smith, App State; S Brandon Gathof, EKU; CB K.J. Gerard, NAU; DT Bryce Scanlon, Weber State

NDSUFREAK
December 21st, 2007, 09:51 PM
Tyler Roehl definitely has the ability to be rated the best back in the country

seantaylor
December 21st, 2007, 11:56 PM
For GSU, if Zeke Rozier returns from full strength, he could be the surprise player in the Socon. On defense, I think that Chris Covington has to be mentioned. He is going to have a monster year next season with a year under his belt at safety.

Poly Pigskin
December 22nd, 2007, 02:34 AM
It still confuses me to see Cal Poly players as Payton candidates. I love it, but I'm just so used to the defense being the dominant half of the team. With our young defense gaining experience this past season, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Buchanan candidate sometime during the season.

Tribe4SF
December 22nd, 2007, 03:23 AM
Payton...

QB Jake Phillips, W&M

mvemjsunpx
December 22nd, 2007, 05:14 AM
I think Cole Bergquist is a possibility, though he likely wouldn't be on the initial watch list.

Tod
December 22nd, 2007, 05:37 AM
I think Cole Bergquist is a possibility, though he likely wouldn't be on the initial watch list.

No. He might be good, or better, but he'd have to jump by leaps and bounds to have a shot. I don't see that happening.

Brad82
December 22nd, 2007, 06:38 AM
Joe Casey

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2007, 08:21 AM
My early non-Armanti picks (since everyone will go straight to him)...

QB Rhett Bomar, SHSU (if healthy, may be Chris Poullard, RB SHSU)
RB Tyler Roehl, NDSU

UDBlueLotFan
December 22nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
BUCHANAN

DE Greg Peach, EWU
DE Pierre Walters, EIU
DE Jovan Belcher, Maine
DT Mark Huygens, UNI
DT Mychal Savage, YSU
LB Jason Williams, WIU
CB Sean Smalls, UMASS
S Colt Anderson, Montana

if he stays healthy xthumbsupx I'd personally like to see him moved to LB, but...we'll seexcoffeex

ASUMountaineer
December 22nd, 2007, 10:50 AM
I can't say Armanti without people calling me a homer, which is fine. I really think Matt Nicholls EWU has a good shot. If he can put up the kind of numbers next year like he did this year, and get back to the playoffs with a new coach, I think he has to be finalist.

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Oh, wildcard for next year...

The return of 2006 SLC Offensive Player of the Year -- STEVEN WHITEHEAD, McNeese...

catbob
December 22nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
I'd say Bobby Daly, but I really can't see how you could have much of a better season statistically than he had last season. I guess he'd have to get a few more sacks and maybe an INT or two.

mvemjsunpx
December 22nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
No. He might be good, or better, but he'd have to jump by leaps and bounds to have a shot. I don't see that happening.

I don't think he'd need to improve by leaps & bounds. He was already 22nd. in passing efficiency & had decent rushing stats. Remember, this is Montana, so he likely wouldn't need Josh Johnson-type numbers to win or come close to winning the Payton. John Edwards finished 4th. in the voting in 2002, & his stats weren't that impressive. In fact, Bergquist's stats this year were much better than Edwards's were in '02.

smallcollegefbfan
December 22nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Oh, wildcard for next year...

The return of 2006 SLC Offensive Player of the Year -- STEVEN WHITEHEAD, McNeese...

I don't see him on the preseason list due to injury but he definitely has a shot to be on the final list. He is a good one!

smallcollegefbfan
December 22nd, 2007, 10:33 PM
I updated the list. Anyone else?

PAYTON

QB Matt Nicholls, EWU
QB Liam Coen, UMASS
QB Rodney Landers, JMU
QB Rhett Bomar, SHSU
QB Allan Holland, EKU
RB Tyler Roehl, NDSU
RB Herb Donaldson, WIU
RB Jordan Scott, Colgate
RB Corey Lewis, UNI
RB Mike McLeod, Yale
WR Terrell Hudgins, Elon

Just Missed: QB Scott Riddle, Elon; C Stephen Field, Cal Poly; OT Joel Bell, Furman; QB Jonathan Dally, Cal Poly; WR/RS Jeremy Gilchrist, Hampton; QB Nathan Brown, UCA; WR Steven Whitehead, McNeese State; QB Jake Phillips, W&M

BUCHANAN

DE Greg Peach, EWU
DE Pierre Walters, EIU
DE Jovan Belcher, Maine
DT Mark Huygens, UNI
DT Mychal Savage, YSU
LB Jason Williams, WIU
CB Sean Smalls, UMASS
S Colt Anderson, Montana

Just Missed: LB DJ Smith, App State; S Brandon Gathof, EKU; CB K.J. Gerard, NAU; DT Bryce Scanlon, Weber State; S Chris Covington, GSU

seantaylor
December 22nd, 2007, 10:57 PM
How do you have on offensive lineman from Furman on the Payton list? Never going to happen. Plus, he's not even the best O lineman in the conference.

smallcollegefbfan
December 23rd, 2007, 10:00 AM
How do you have on offensive lineman from Furman on the Payton list? Never going to happen. Plus, he's not even the best O lineman in the conference.

You guys are losing Estrada and Orr and ASU is losing Brown and Suttle. He has to be the top returning OL in the SoCon for next year and he will be a draft pick next year. Mr. C has said before that OL will be considered for spots on the Payton list. They will have to be dominate like Kerry Brown or Chad Rinehart but they can get on the list. Who do you think will be better than him next year? Bell has to be the frontrunner for the Blocking Trophy in '08.

eaglesrthe1
December 23rd, 2007, 10:43 AM
That's sort of like putting a NASCAR pit crew team member on the list for the drivers championship points.xcoolx

Are punters going to be next?

smallcollegefbfan
December 23rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
That's sort of like putting a NASCAR pit crew team member on the list for the drivers championship points.xcoolx

Are punters going to be next?

If offensive linemen can be the top pick of the draft then why not name them as a player of the year, if they deserve it. It would take a truly dominating performance but why have a QB on there with no shot over the top OL in the nation. I just had Bell on the list as a top player who didn't make it. Not like he took someone's spot. Linemen need to be recognized. There are so many great ones who never receive the credit they deserve. Just ask the QBs on the Payton list and I am sure many of them will tell you their blockers are just as much responsible for it as they are. I only put OL on because Coulson has said he would do it. I am just trying to accurately project how it might look.

gmoney55
December 23rd, 2007, 11:24 PM
And how are people supposed to evaluate OL against positional players. It would be a bit ridiculous...though it would be good to see an award solely for O-Line.

smallcollegefbfan
December 23rd, 2007, 11:35 PM
And how are people supposed to evaluate OL against positional players. It would be a bit ridiculous...though it would be good to see an award solely for O-Line.

Knockdowns or defenders grounded, past awards, etc? Not sure what all. You would have to watch them for sure. This year Kerry Brown, Chad Rinehart, and Demetrius Bell all deserved attention for it. They dominated their opponents. They should create an award for OL. Put together a 8 man list for it.

grizband
December 24th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Knockdowns or defenders grounded, NFL Draft stock, etc. This year Kerry Brown, Chad Rinehart, and Demetrius Bell all deserved attention for it. They dominated their opponents. They should create an award for OL. Put together a 8 man list for it.
NFL draft stock should have no baring on individual college awards. These awards are about their performance and success in college, not their projected ability at the professional levels.

smallcollegefbfan
December 24th, 2007, 01:12 AM
NFL draft stock should have no baring on individual college awards. These awards are about their performance and success in college, not their projected ability at the professional levels.

Well it shouldn't mean you get an award for sure but a player who has draft grades by the NFL that is 6'6 should get looks over one who is 6'6 and not getting graded. There are players out there who get all-conference who are just too slow to be considered a top player in the nation and yet they are because their team was good.

smallcollegefbfan
December 24th, 2007, 01:26 PM
PAYTON

QB Matt Nicholls, EWU
QB Liam Coen, UMASS
QB Rodney Landers, JMU
QB Rhett Bomar, SHSU
QB Allan Holland, EKU
RB Tyler Roehl, NDSU
RB Herb Donaldson, WIU
RB Jordan Scott, Colgate
RB Corey Lewis, UNI
RB Mike McLeod, Yale
WR Terrell Hudgins, Elon

Just Missed: QB Scott Riddle, Elon; C Stephen Field, Cal Poly; OT Joel Bell, Furman; QB Jonathan Dally, Cal Poly; WR/RS Jeremy Gilchrist, Hampton; QB Nathan Brown, UCA; WR Steven Whitehead, McNeese State; QB Jake Phillips, W&M

BUCHANAN

DE Greg Peach, EWU
DE Pierre Walters, EIU
DE Jovan Belcher, Maine
DT Mark Huygens, UNI
DT Mychal Savage, YSU
LB Jason Williams, WIU
CB Sean Smalls, UMASS
CB K.J. Gerard, NAU
S Colt Anderson, Montana

Just Missed: LB DJ Smith, App State; S Brandon Gathof, EKU; DT Bryce Scanlon, Weber State; S Chris Covington, GSU

already123
December 28th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I think you have to put Cyrus Mulitalo LB (Sac St.) on their for buchannon....anyone who has watched him play knows why. Also, I like Aaron Boyce's chances better than any almost any other reciever.

And just to be a homer, Ill throw CB K.J. Gerard (all american), QB Lance Kriesien (Top 5 best dual-threat QB in FCS returning), and S Cyrus Igono in there (nat'l defensive and spec teams player of the week)

Go Jacks

Sly Fox
December 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I'm just dumbfounded to see a Liberty player listed (or anyone else from the Big South).

That receiver for Elon is the real deal.

smallcollegefbfan
December 28th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I'm just dumbfounded to see a Liberty player listed (or anyone else from the Big South).

That receiver for Elon is the real deal.

This is just my guess, not the official list. Those guys still deserve to be on it and I would be shocked if Jennings isn't on it. He had a great year. Hudgins is a stud who will play at the next level, i'm sure.

bench
December 28th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I don't see Tharrington being on the list over DJ Smith, and I'm not sure DJ has done enough yet to earn such an honor. Tharrington may be better at DT than DE. His only consistent contribution at DE has been on pass-rush; he gets too deep in the backfield on running plays and can't contain.

smallcollegefbfan
December 29th, 2007, 12:26 AM
I don't see Tharrington being on the list over DJ Smith, and I'm not sure DJ has done enough yet to earn such an honor. Tharrington may be better at DT than DE. His only consistent contribution at DE has been on pass-rush; he gets too deep in the backfield on running plays and can't contain.

I agree that Smith might be the better player but in the preseason between a sophomore who hasn't been named all-socon yet or a junior with AP All-America and two-time all-socon you take that junior. Tharrington has done that and should be a preseason candidate. I agree with you and feel Smith will be on there at some point. He is probably the best freshman LB I saw in the playoffs.

furpal87
December 29th, 2007, 01:37 AM
So, who would you name the O-linemen award for???
I'm sure there are some names out there I just can't think of any right now.

smallcollegefbfan
December 29th, 2007, 11:03 AM
So, who would you name the O-linemen award for???
I'm sure there are some names out there I just can't think of any right now.

What do you mean? For top OL this year or next year?

This year's names would be Chad Rinehart, Kerry Brown, and Demetrius Bell. Those are the top 3 and the only ones who are locks to get drafted out of the FCS from what I have seen.

slostang
December 29th, 2007, 09:17 PM
What do you mean? For top OL this year or next year?

This year's names would be Chad Rinehart, Kerry Brown, and Demetrius Bell. Those are the top 3 and the only ones who are locks to get drafted out of the FCS from what I have seen.

I think he means what former I-AA/FCS lineman would you name the award after. Like the award for th top offensive player is named after Walter Payton and the award for the top defensive player is named after Buck Buchanan.

smallcollegefbfan
December 30th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I think he means what former I-AA/FCS lineman would you name the award after. Like the award for th top offensive player is named after Walter Payton and the award for the top defensive player is named after Buck Buchanan.

That would be a good question. I would say the player should be a 2 or 3 time FCS All-American and a unanimous All-American his senior year and maybe even junior year. Time for people to start naming players from the last 20 years to consider!

smallcollegefbfan
December 30th, 2007, 12:15 AM
OT Steve McAdoo of MTSU was a 3-time All-American (2-time 2nd team, 1st team as a senior) from 1990-1992.

OL Mike Agee of Montana was a 2-time 1st team All-American from 1995-1996.

OL Mark Williams of GSU was a 2-time 1st team All-American from 1998-1999.

OL Thatcher Szalay of Montana was a 2-time 1st team All-American from 2000-2001.

OL Buster Ashley of WKU was a 3-time All-American (2nd team in 2002, 1st team in 2003, and 2nd team in 2004) from 2002-2004.

The most recent dominant lineman is current App State senior Kerry Brown. 3-time 1st team all-socon, 2-time 1st team all-american, 2-time jacobs blocking trophy winner, and 1st OL ever to receive votes for the Payton Award. You could also mention OT Chad Rinehart of UNI who has been an All-American for the last two years, earned a vote for the Payton Award this year, and has earned All-Gateway honors for three years. Rinehart and Brown are both expected to be drafted.

Who should we name it after among this group? Anyone since 1985 or so who has been a perennial pro bowler in the NFL that I might be missing?