PDA

View Full Version : FCS vs. FBS Conference Comparison

bonarae
February 10th, 2024, 05:54 PM
Not sure what to think of this... xrulesx But somewhat hilarious.

https://i.postimg.cc/d0yjgxm2/425861599-10210795221513726-7079860100163050008-n.jpg

taper
February 10th, 2024, 08:57 PM
School culture, not too bad. Football strength, lots of problems.
Though Sagarin has South Dakota State at 18, which is higher than any G5 team.

Libertine
February 10th, 2024, 11:13 PM
Aside from the fact that they are all technically academic institutions, there is no correlation of any kind between the Patriot League and the Sun Belt.

NY Crusader 2010
February 12th, 2024, 06:50 AM
Aside from the fact that they are all technically academic institutions, there is no correlation of any kind between the Patriot League and the Sun Belt.

There's the Holy Cross-JMU connection.

Head Coach Bob Chesney as well as several star players from our recent squads heading down to Harrisonburg, VA as grad transfers.

MAC would be a better comparison to the PL => conference stability + you have a couple borderline public Ivies in there with Miami and Ohio U. Plus, Buffalo is our FBS whipping boy!!!

NY Crusader 2010
February 13th, 2024, 06:22 PM
I don't get the Colorado reference. Did the Southland once have a geographically misplaced party school that was good at football in the early 2000's, now stinks but hired a loud big-name coach? Or something like that?

Go...gate
February 13th, 2024, 11:58 PM
xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 14th, 2024, 09:57 AM
The PL really doesn't have a FBS peer. The MAC fits in terms of geographical and membership continuity. However, the PL programs are far more ingrained college football history. Also, the PL has had significantly more teams that are nationally relevant to their FCS peers than the MAC has in relation to FBS. Heck, going back to the first half of the 20th century, (Colgate, Fordham, Georgetown and Lafayette) were among the best in "big time" college football. The PL programs have much better facilities relative to the rest of FCS than the MAC does compared to others in their subdivision.

I will say this, the MAC is quite a bit better academically than MOST give it credit for. Buffalo and Miami (OH) are two of the better public institutions in the country with Ohio being "right there" while Kent State, Bowling Green (awesome education programs) and Ball State attract a wide range of applicants too. Even EMU, CMU, WMU and Akron (specifically engineering) have some intrigue. Toledo and Northern Illinois probably offer the "least". I briefly considered applying to a doctoral program at NIU (due to my ties to Chicago/Midwest) a couple of years ago but was advised against it given other options.

The PL is a bit more like the ACC minus the coast to coast presence and Clemson's, Miami's, and Florida State's trophy case. Virginia, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse, North Carolina, SMU, Cal, Stanford, and Miami all give off PL academic vibes....

Redbird 4th & short
February 15th, 2024, 04:25 PM
I assume this offseason exercise is more for fun and historical in nature ... that said, it sure seems like Big Sky would be most analogous to Pac 10/12/0