PDA

View Full Version : Most beautiful place to watch FCS

schmofstra
December 20th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Friends,

Although the Schmofstras rarely leave Hempstead, the Schmofstras have still been to many nice I-AA stadiums, and a few dumps.

What's your opinion on the most beautiful setting in which to watch Our Subdivision perform?

Now, of course, we're real football fans here, and we must stress that the aesthetics aren't as important as the quality of the action on the field -- tremendous collisions to the point of seeing snot fly out of players' noses, etc.

In reality, though, our ability to even get permission to go to a game on a cold Saturday in November (especially if you're married like Papa Schmofstra or you're circle of friends isn't as insane about I-AA football as you may be) depends on 'intangibles' the natural and architectural beauty of the stadium and campus (particulary the tailgating backdrop).

The Schmofstras have already waxed poetic on the topnotch experience at Wagner in a previous thread, so we'll spare you from that here.

By far the nicest stadium we've been to thus far is Princeton's. They did a great job designing the new stadium, and the walk through campus is impressive. The collegiate atmosphere almost makes you feel guilty that you're going to a football game instead of visiting the Firestone Library to study ancient manuscripts or stuff like that.

Papa Schmofstra also wants to put in a good word for his alma mater Moreahead. The campus is basically carved out of the Daniel Boone National Forest, and it's quite lovely in the fall when the leaves change colors.

We'll also put in a good word for Colgate, and you might be surprised how nice the Fordham campus is (don't be put off by the dateline Bronx, N.Y.!)

What we'd really like to know is if anyone in this forum has ever seen a game at Southern Utah. Can you see snowcapped peaks while watching the game there? Or just while driving there?

Any thoughts?

WVAPPmountaineer
December 20th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Now, I know most everyone is sick of hearing about App State but if you had ever attended a game at The Rock when the fall leaves were in full color with the stadium surrounded by hills and mountains it would be hard to beat - Of course, the beauty of the stadium itself is undergoing construction so that part is now rather unattractive - As for electricity ask the Richmond fans that attended the semi-final game --- The place was electric!!!

appstate38
December 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM
JMU has one of the nicest campus settings. The stadium is right in the middle of campus. It is one of my favorites. Furman is another great place to watch a ball game. I think the overall look of a University adds to the experience. Those are 2 of my favorites.

GannonFan
December 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Plenty of great places:

Delaware - biased, of course, but big stadium, always full, great sightlines, right on top of the field, and farms and forests around the place. Gorgeous.

Lehigh - Quite picturesque up on the mountain. Good stadium too, although not as full as I would like it.

Youngstown St - well, you have to avoid actually looking at the town on the way in and the way out, but the stadium is gorgeous, and the area right around the stadium is quaint (we parked in someone's backyard - they offered, we paid - and they even came out and provided trash bags). Plus, my wife really got a kick out of the fire hydrants being painted to look like penguins.

William and Mary - You won't likely find a better looking stadium and a better looking surrounding. It's colonial architecture-meet-FCS football. Kinda weird that the 50 yard line seats are a tunnel on one side of the stadium and half of the stadium has rotten sight lines (if you're not up high, don't go) but the place has a great buzz on gameday.

Just to name a few.

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Now, I know most everyone is sick of hearing about App State but if you had ever attended a game at The Rock when the fall leaves were in full color with the stadium surrounded by hills and mountains it would be hard to beat - Of course, the beauty of the stadium itself is undergoing construction so that part is now rather unattractive - As for electricity ask the Richmond fans that attended the semi-final game --- The place was electric!!!

I have been to games at:

JMU
Richmond
W&M
Villanova
ASU
Chattanooga
and
ETSU

Of these, I would have to choose ASU with W&M a close second. For me, the drive to ASU from E. Tennessee is beautiful. And the stadium setting is also great (as pointed out above).

For W&M, I love the design of Zable Stadium and the surrounding Williamsburg area (always makes for a nice breakfast or lunch meal the morning after the game, too!). Plus, you can leave the stadium and walk right to one of the great delis (bars)!

ETSU is dead last...by a long shot. The mini-dome was attrocious.

ur2k
December 20th, 2007, 09:13 AM

It was electric - I was most impressed with the asthetic beauty of the port-a-potties on the visitors' side. xthumbsupx

I kid - I think the beauty of the Rock was lost on us with the night game. Our stadium is a dump, but the new one on campus should be nice when it's finally built - UR has consistently been named as one of the nicest campuses in the country.

lizrdgizrd
December 20th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I'll second ASU, W&M and JMU.

Elon has the lovely Rhodes stadium that I think could be perfected with just a few changes when the inevitable expansion comes around.

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2007, 09:28 AM
It was electric - I was most impressed with the asthetic beauty of the port-a-potties on the visitors' side. xthumbsupx

I kid - I think the beauty of the Rock was lost on us with the night game. Our stadium is a dump, but the new one on campus should be nice when it's finally built - UR has consistently been named as one of the nicest campuses in the country.

I'm excited about seeing UR's stadium on campus. It is a beautiful campus. The current stadium isn't that bad, but the surroundings are less than desirable.

Seahawks Fan
December 20th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Monmouth University's campus, on the Jersey shore, is quite nice. Included on the campus is Wilson Hall which is designated as a National Historic Landmark.

Borat
December 20th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Don't want to sound like a homer, but Kidd Brewer is tops in my book.
The view of Howard's Knob is pretty cool.

McNeese_beat
December 20th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Wash-Griz...can't beat the mountains in the backdrop. I recall Weber State being pretty in much the same way. Southern Utah's little venue is like that.

But Lamar will beat all when they re-start football. The view of the chemical refinery behind he stadium is breathtaking...literally...

Note the sarcasm...

TTUEagles
December 20th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I played at Appy St. a long time ago and it was one of my favorite road venues...Morehead St. was hideous - except for the mountainous backdrop - of course, that was as a player, the place was dead, town was dead, locker rooms and field were the worst ever.
My favorite place to see a game was VMI - with the drive in Oct. through southeast Virginia, the campus(es) ((Washington & Lee U.)) and the military 'pagentry' was pretty cool.
EKU has a great stadium/atmophere.

gophoenix
December 20th, 2007, 09:55 AM

If you are going for fall colors and natural Beauty, Boone, especially the University side, is not what it once was. Western has App beat on this front hands down.

lizrdgizrd
December 20th, 2007, 09:58 AM
If you are going for fall colors and natural Beauty, Boone, especially the University side, is not what it once was. Western has App beat on this front hands down.
That's what we get for building and building and building....xoopsx

appstate38
December 20th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Man, as posted before.... Elon does have some nice digs to play ball in now.

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Don't want to sound like a homer, but Kidd Brewer is tops in my book.
The view of Howard's Knob is pretty cool.

Um...you might want to get tickets a few seats away from Howard next year...

The Moody1
December 20th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Beware. Here is a web cam view from the end of Howard's Knob.

http://booneweb.com/webcam/1

813Jag
December 20th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Wash-Griz...can't beat the mountains in the backdrop. I recall Weber State being pretty in much the same way. Southern Utah's little venue is like that.

But Lamar will beat all when they re-start football. The view of the chemical refinery behind he stadium is breathtaking...literally...

Note the sarcasm...
Don't forget the fact that it's literally right behind you. I also like watching games at Alcorn, even though you're in the woods. xlolx

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Beware. Here is a web cam view from the end of Howard's Knob.

http://booneweb.com/webcam/1

I'm going to deem that NSFW!! xlolx xlolx

I'm afraid if I open it I'll be fired!

citdog
December 20th, 2007, 10:23 AM
The Cradle of Secession. hands down

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2007, 10:27 AM
The Cradle of Secession. hands down

We already went over this...UR's stadium isn't great right now, but their stadium campus should be very nice...

If you were thinking further south (which I'm sure you were) I do like the pictures of Wofford's stadium.

catbob
December 20th, 2007, 10:27 AM
All you get in Bozeman is a view of this

http://www.montana.edu/cpa/gallery/051202/mediafiles/l1.jpg

http://www.montana.edu/cpa/gallery/051202/mediafiles/l3.jpg

Proud Griz Man
December 20th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Note the sarcasm...

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/grizpics/2004/football/unh/normal_grizzlysunset.jpg

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

lizrdgizrd
December 20th, 2007, 10:30 AM
It doesn't matter where you sit in KBS, you can't miss Howard's Knob. xeekx

bostonspider
December 20th, 2007, 10:31 AM
We already went over this...UR's stadium isn't great right now, but their stadium campus should be very nice...

If you were thinking further south (which I'm sure you were) I do like the pictures of Wofford's stadium.

I think he means at the Citadel in Charleston "the cradle of secession"

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM
It doesn't matter where you sit in KBS, you can't miss Howard's Knob. xeekx

HE. IS. THE. MAN!!

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I think he means at the Citadel in Charleston "the cradle of secession"

I know...but it was a feeble attempt at getting the dog riled...

citdog
December 20th, 2007, 10:36 AM

work on those reading comprehension skills. the CRADLE of Secession. not the Capitol of the Confederacy.

Seahawks Fan
December 20th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Wagner

Student Union View:

http://www.wagner.edu/admissions/sites/wagner.edu.admissions/files/images/eb_students_large.jpg

Dorms:

http://www.wagner.edu/admissions/sites/wagner.edu.admissions/files/images/fb_view2_large.jpg

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2007, 10:40 AM
work on those reading comprehension skills. the CRADLE of Secession. not the Capitol of the Confederacy.

xoopsx xoopsx

Yea, I haven't seen Chuch South's stadium either...

wapiti
December 20th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Great pics.
Looks like the 2nd one is from top of the alumni building and the 1st from the 'M' xthumbsupx

APPride
December 20th, 2007, 10:43 AM

that IS beautiful and impressive...my brother moved to Livingston this year...can't wait to go out for a "Livingston Saturday night"!...

(might just have to put "Rancho Deluxe" in the que again...great movie)xthumbsupx

ASUG8
December 20th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Hate it for you - that's just plain ugly.....j/k

Beautiful surroundings.

andy7171
December 20th, 2007, 10:51 AM
that IS beautiful and impressive...my brother moved to Livingston this year...can't wait to go out for a "Livingston Saturday night"!...
(might just have to put "Rancho Deluxe" in the que again...great movie)xthumbsupx
Jimmy Buffett song? xthumbsupx

My vote goes to William and Mary. Beautiful campus, beautiful town, beautiful stadium, great fans.

Griz40
December 20th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Livingston is a beautiful town but you might want to make the 30 mile drive over to Bozeman for a night out.

schmofstra
December 20th, 2007, 10:53 AM
OMG -- Papa Schmofstra gotta figure out a way to convince Mama Schmofstra that we need to make an autumn weekend trip to Bozeman! That is truly breaktaking.

Someone mentioned the Delaware Blue Hens. The Schmofstras made another rare trek outside Hempstead last month to attend the first-ever Delaware vs. Delaware State game. It was historic for one other reason too. It was the first time Papa Schmofstra ever peed against a wall without breaking the law! No kidding! You go into the men's room, and you simply pee against a wall! You don't even pee into a trough. So basically all you have to do is be sober enough to hit the broad side of a barn, and you're golden (actually, 'golden' isn't quite the appropriate word here, now that we think about it).

You just go it, pick any wall, and pee on it. I wasn't really looking down, but I guess it just runs down into a little trough under the floor or something. Sounds disgusting but it was quite efficient. No need to queue up behind a row of toilets. If you can find enough space to stand, just step right up. But, gentlemen, feet no wider than shoulder width apart please!

The Blue Hens fan is right about the atmosphere in the stadium. It's great. It's really I-A level. Nice to hang with 20,000 bonkers fans at a I-AA game, instead of the 2,000 or so subdued semi-fans you get in so many other places.

93henfan
December 20th, 2007, 11:14 AM
It was the first time Papa Schmofstra ever peed against a wall without breaking the law! No kidding! You go into the men's room, and you simply pee against a wall! You don't even pee into a trough. So basically all you have to do is be sober enough to hit the broad side of a barn, and you're golden (actually, 'golden' isn't quite the appropriate word here, now that we think about it).

You just go it, pick any wall, and pee on it. I wasn't really looking down, but I guess it just runs down into a little trough under the floor or something. Sounds disgusting but it was quite efficient. No need to queue up behind a row of toilets. If you can find enough space to stand, just step right up. But, gentlemen, feet no wider than shoulder width apart please!

The Blue Hens fan is right about the atmosphere in the stadium. It's great. It's really I-A level. Nice to hang with 20,000 bonkers fans at a I-AA game, instead of the 2,000 or so subdued semi-fans you get in so many other places.

You forgot one important detail. That wall you're peeing on is a fine marble. It's quite literally the nicest pee wall in America.

Our fans have already made it clear to the administration that the anticipated upcoming stadium improvements MUST include keeping "the wall", aka the GWOP.

We are quite fond of it.

McNeese_beat
December 20th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Don't forget the fact that it's literally right behind you. I also like watching games at Alcorn, even though you're in the woods. xlolx

Great view at Alcorn...of trees...and more trees...

I've never seen a school so isolated. Nice little campus though.

grizband
December 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Any App or Griz fans who have seen both, what are you comparisons between Washington-Grizzly and "The Rock?"

biggie
December 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM

If you are looking for un-subdued fans and plenty of them, make it to Boone next year. If we get that new level/seats added I wouldn't be shocked to see our first couple home games be over 30,000.

I do enjoy the Rock the most, but admittedly I'm biased. But the view is nice being down in the valley like Boone is. But after this thread, not sure I want to look at Howard's Knob ever again.

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2007, 11:28 AM
If you are looking for un-subdued fans and plenty of them, make it to Boone next year. If we get that new level/seats added I wouldn't be shocked to see our first couple home games be over 30,000.

I do enjoy the Rock the most, but admittedly I'm biased. But the view is nice being down in the valley like Boone is. But after this thread, not sure I want to look at Howard's Knob ever again.

catbob
December 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM
OMG the pee wall sounds like the best thing I've ever heard.

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2007, 11:30 AM
OMG the pee wall sounds like the best thing I've ever heard.

I think you mean heard OF

At least I hope that's what you meant.

Oh yea, and...

BloomHusky'01
December 20th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Of the FCS stadiums I've been too, I'd rate Lehigh and Elon as the nicest. The stadiums are nice, but the settings are just beautiful. Bucknell has a great old stadium but its right next to a busy road. I went to JMU once and the atmosphere was awesome! The fans were really into it, until midway through the second quarter when they realized they were being soundly outplayed by my division 2 alma mater. Still, awesome game day atmosphere.

ngineer
December 20th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Goodman Stadium with South Mountain draped in its fall finery in October in the background is as perfect a place to tailgate and enjoy college football. In the immortal words of Chris Schenkel, "What better way to spend an autumn afternoon?" I have not been to a huge number of other stadiums,however, I will acknowledge that William & Mary's stadium and campus are a horticulturalist's dream, and that, in terms of sight lines, efficiencies, and amibiance, Princeton's is superb.

93henfan
December 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Goodman Stadium with South Mountain draped in its fall finery in October in the background is as perfect a place to tailgate and enjoy college football. In the immortal words of Chris Schenkel, "What better way to spend an autumn afternoon?" I have not been to a huge number of other stadiums,however, I will acknowledge that William & Mary's stadium and campus are a horticulturalist's dream, and that, in terms of sight lines, efficiencies, and amibiance, Princeton's is superb.

+1 on Lehigh. Though I've never been to a game there or even been in the stadium proper, I usually make it up for a day or two of Philadelphia Eagles training camp every year. The surrounding area is gorgeous.

Black and Gold Express
December 20th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Any App or Griz fans who have seen both, what are you comparisons between Washington-Grizzly and "The Rock?"

Different animals really to me. I was at Wash-Griz for the 2000 semifinals, and I recall the tailgaiting being really spread out. Of course having never been there I was lost so I may have been walking in circles...

The one things Wash-Griz stadium has that is different is that the seats are right on top of the field. Hence the noise factor that to me is still unmatched in I-AA. Ya'll can make 23,000 fans sound as loud as 85,000 did at Auburn.

Kidd-Brewer will obviously hold a special place in my heart, so I'm seriously biased there. The only thing I will crack on ASU about is that in recent years, the behavior of the students has degraded slowly but surely. Probably the one drawback to the extended tailgaiting that has been in effect the last couple of years. I believe that ASU gets a lot of bad and unwarranted publicity for alleged student behavior. Meaning that I think people right now are way overblown on the true scope of it. But it is getting worse than it was before, I firmly believe that. Something has to be done about alcohol enforcement sooner or later.

bluehenbillk
December 20th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Hey "the wall" under the home stands at the Tub is legendary. If there ever is a new Tub it'll include a wall.

putter
December 20th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Wa/Griz has to be one of the best sitting at the mouth of Hellgate Canyon and Mt. Sentinel being right behind the stadium to the east. Looking to the west is cool because you see the Bitteroot mountain chain.

Weber St. is pretty cool also because it sits at the base of the Wasatch range.

Kitty stadium is picturesque, as the pictures before show.

danefan
December 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7739&d=1198171814

HAHA....greatest line of all time. Goes with just about everything and its still funny.

And that IS what she said.

APPride
December 20th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Jimmy Buffett song? xthumbsupx

yes, get the movie, Rancho Deluxe Jeff Bridges circa 1975, netflix...classic laid back flick...stay w/ it till the end!

griz40 I hear ya 'bout Bozeman...will do...xnodx

terrierbob
December 20th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Note the sarcasm...

I remember watching the playoff game and thinking for a minute that the cheesy prodicers had glare all around the field of vision. Until I realized it was snow covered hills and mountains. Beautiful.

HighRyder08
December 20th, 2007, 01:12 PM
call me crazy but i really enjoyed chattanooga's stadium for the national championship this year... it was first trip there and the mocs stadium is quite nice

GannonFan
December 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM
call me crazy but i really enjoyed chattanooga's stadium for the national championship this year... it was first trip there and the mocs stadium is quite nice

I agree, it's a great stadium, the only thing I didn't like about the stadium was the slope of the stands - I was only 13 rows up and I was much further away from the field than I would've thought. Darn modern building codes. :p

otto4pres
December 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM
aside from the obvious one, Bucknell has a beautiful stadium and the Yale Bowl is a great place to watch a game

GannonFan
December 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I have to get back to Bucknell sometime - I saw a game there (Bucknell versus Holy Cross) and I didn't think much of the stadium at all. Thought it was kinda old - have they redone it since the early 90's???

89Hen
December 20th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Stadium was great. However, I surprised they haven't cleaned up that building shell next to the pavillion. Big graffiti on it. xeyebrowx

OL FU
December 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM
It is not the Rockies, not even the smokies, but we have our own little hill for the the home side to viewxnodx
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/south_carolina/greenville_paladin.jpg
So considering we are in the Piedmont, not too bad.

otto4pres
December 20th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I have to get back to Bucknell sometime - I saw a game there (Bucknell versus Holy Cross) and I didn't think much of the stadium at all. Thought it was kinda old - have they redone it since the early 90's???

xnodx

here's how it looks now

http://bucknellbison.cstv.com/genrel/051206aaa.html?pic=2

BloomHusky'01
December 20th, 2007, 03:35 PM
xnodx

here's how it looks now

http://bucknellbison.cstv.com/genrel/051206aaa.html?pic=2

Here are a few additional pics of my own.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559926839TXvmwl?vhost=good-times&start=60

furpal87
December 20th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I still consider our place the best looking I've ever watched a game FBS or FCS. App State the drive is nice, scenery, beautiful, but I've seen way to many horrible things on the field. Elon has built a nice stadium in a nice setting, loved going there the two visits we made. Trying to forget ETSU, Davidson, and the old Chattanooga stadium. W&M was nice even though it was waterlogged after the hurricane (Floyd?), didn't really get a fair picture that day. VMI was okay for the pageantry, lousy stadium, though.

ERASU2113
December 20th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Even with the construction of KBS happening right now. A game in Boone during the early fall is quite possibly one of the most beautiful places for a game. Sitting in the Blue Ridge Mountains with leaves changing all around you. People come to Boone to see the foliage, and usually stay to watch a game :D

How come whenever someone mentions App State it always involves fans and attitudes? Jeez get over it guys. It's an old story...you're doing nothing by moaning over it, over and over again. xdeadhorsex

OldRef
December 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I vote for Zable Stadium in Williamsburg. I love being do close to the action. I was in awe of the size of Harvard's stadium. Conrad, (there I go showing my age)... I mean Kidd-Brewer will be something when the renovations/expansions are done

boonegoon
December 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Old Marshall stadium was great and if you still consider VMI 1 AA they have a great little, historic setting for football. I felt like I needed a fur coat and a pennant on a stick when I saw a game there years ago.

93henfan
December 20th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Awesome gallery, all 8 pages worth! Did you take them all yourself?

bostonspider
December 20th, 2007, 06:04 PM
UR's certainly is not the prettiest now, and is not in the nicest area of town

http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/36828/1501693501081159551S600x600Q85.jpg

But hopefully the new one will be among the prettiest

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/aerialwithendzonestands-500.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/overall_FINALreduced-500.jpg

If there is one thing UR seems to do well it is new buildings. Everthing that has been built on the campus in the last 15 years, which is a lot, has been built to the best collegiate gothic designs that we could get... The new stadium, tucked in the tree topped hill on one endzone, with campus leading out the other should be quite beautiful, if we can just get it built and soon.

whoanellie
December 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM

Elon has the lovely Rhodes stadium that I think could be perfected with just a few changes when the inevitable expansion comes around.

thanks for the endorsement!!!! Rhodes is such a special place to the former Fight'n Christians!!! Turf is real grass to boot Sam Wyche as TV analyst during GSU game thought it was artificial..... Furman Grad.....Still a great recruiting tool.
Now that We have a solid product from coach Lembo on the field. The excitement will be awesome with more student and area enthusiasm on the rise.

kalm
December 20th, 2007, 06:11 PM
This is the view from Woodward Field in Cheney:

http://http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif

OK, not really, this was taken from Steptoe Butte about 40 miles to the south - which you can see from Woodward. I couldn't find any quality photo's taken from Woodward itself.

The beauty of the Palouse is not for everyone, but if you like wide open spaces and expansive vistas, Woodward is pretty cool. Cheney is the highest incorporated city in the state of Washington, and Woodward is around 2800 feet, just a few hundred feet below the summit of Snoqualmie Pass. So the view from the main grand stands looking southeast and to the moutains of Idaho is a good one.

Seawolf97
December 20th, 2007, 07:36 PM
http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/grizpics/2004/football/unh/normal_grizzlysunset.jpg

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

That is pretty !xthumbsupx

BigApp
December 20th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Michigan Stadium

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

TheCatamount
December 20th, 2007, 08:56 PM
During constuction :

http://www.astroturfusa.com/resources/images/WCU.jpg

Lovely Cullowhee:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Athletic-Facilities/g-WatersField-lg.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Athletic-Facilities/g-WhitmireStadium-lg.jpg

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9345/campusfy9.jpg

Grizo406
December 20th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I'm a bit late to this party and don't really give a ***** about my tardiness...but I feel compelled to add my .02 cents, as some other Griz fans have:

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/grizpics/2004/football/unh/normal_12-4-2004-034.jpg

The view at MSU is a bit more spectacular, but it is Western Montana...be it Missoula, or Bozeman...both places are a very LARGE treat for the eyes, and a great place to watch a football game!!!

Tailbone
December 20th, 2007, 09:43 PM
OMG -- Papa Schmofstra gotta figure out a way to convince Mama Schmofstra that we need to make an autumn weekend trip to Bozeman! That is truly breaktaking.

If you do convince Mama S. - better plan on taking a week.
I recommend wandering around western Montana a bit......see Yellowstone park, Glacier Park if still open, Swan valley, Flathead Lake, etc. etc. etc.

Lots to see, all of which you will be glad to have seen.

ask anyone who's made the trip.

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I think people are mixing location with atmosphere. Clearly, there can be a "beautiful" stadium without a sold out crowd (Cornell) or even in an urban area (Columbia, overlooking the Hudson River).

Realistically, few I-AA/FCS stadiums have the wow factor of a fall afternoon at Michie Stadium, the boats pulling up to UW's Husky Stadium, or the timeless appeal of the sun setting over Pasadena. Still, (almost) every school has a facility to be proud of.

Hoyadestroya85
December 20th, 2007, 09:50 PM
McAndrew Stadium.. you have that beautiful view of the coal plant in the background... hahaha

rancher griz
December 20th, 2007, 09:55 PM
The Gallatin Valley is a treasure. Some of the prettiest mountains you'll find, some of the best skiing, some of the best fishing, and some of the best hiking. It's a shame it's getting so expensive to live there anymore. Missoula has the prettier campus, but as far as the surrounding areas, Bozeman is much prettier IMO. If you ever get a chance to hike the Spanish Peaks don't pass it up. Gorgeous.

Oh, and a eat ***** Bobcats. Sorry, if I compliment you that much I have to throw that out there.xsmiley_wix

GoGuins
December 20th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Plenty of great places:
Youngstown St - well, you have to avoid actually looking at the town on the way in and the way out, but the stadium is gorgeous, and the area right around the stadium is quaint (we parked in someone's backyard - they offered, we paid - and they even came out and provided trash bags). Plus, my wife really got a kick out of the fire hydrants being painted to look like penguins.

Thanks for the kind words. I joke about Ytown a lot, and for good reason at times, but the downtown area is actually getting a lot better. Many new buildings have went up over the last few years including the downtown arena, the Chevrolet Center. Many of the rundown houses & buildings near campus are being torn down and the city and the university have plans to connect & blend downtown & the campus since they are so close. They are set to build a new Business College and indoor practice facility which will expand the campus even more. The area is shaping up nicely.

ASUG8
December 20th, 2007, 11:09 PM
During constuction :

Lovely Cullowhee:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Athletic-Facilities/g-WatersField-lg.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Athletic-Facilities/g-WhitmireStadium-lg.jpg

Like night and day from when I visited there - I'm from Waynesville - excellent improvement!

bamamountaineer1013
December 21st, 2007, 08:27 AM
aka the GWOP.

The Great Wall of Pee???

phillyAPP
December 21st, 2007, 09:39 AM
Where have you been GoGuins? Roger said you have gotten a new job. I hope its going well. I see that you have gone back to the Guin helmit.

Would YSU have the infrostructure to bid for the NC game in the future? The location would not be bad. And I do like Chattanooga.

Merry Christmas !!

Soar7
December 21st, 2007, 01:13 PM
I would have to agree that "The Rock" is a great atmosphere for college football. The only suggestion I would have for "The Rock" would be to update the box seats on the home side. The box seats look outdated. However, the surrounding scenery looks great as a backdrop to the stadium.

The Moody1
December 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM
I would have to agree that "The Rock" is a great atmosphere for college football. The only suggestion I would have for "The Rock" would be to update the box seats on the home side. The box seats look outdated. However, the surrounding scenery looks great as a backdrop to the stadium.

It looks like they are taking your advice. xthumbsupx

http://www.goasu.com/page/176/

furman94
December 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM
Paladin Stadium is kinda like the Fenway of FCS, to me at least. To sit down on steel seats with no backs on a concrete base and cheer on your team, it is amazing... ok not really. I love the location of our stadium, right under Paris Mountain, but the stadium itself needs alot. Our pressbox with a few boxes is outdated, to say the least. We have a great etrance to the stadium, Paladin Plaza, but I would love to see us keep an oldstyle brick feel, with modern touches.

Built in 81, our stadium hasn't really been touched, except for a light-board scoarboard and a few thousand seats on the visitors side. I'd love for us to add a couple of levels onto the highscholish looking fieldhouse and throw in a couple of luxury boxes. A video board wouldn't be bad either. Hey, if Byrnes can do it, why can't we?

We have a huge endowment, and have started a new campaign along the ligns of MILLIONS, to fund acedemics. Well folks, we have great acedemics, and great classrooms. Walk into one of the renovated buildings on campus and take a stroll into one of the granite and marble floored bathrooms. The classrooms all have modern projectors and video/prometheum boards. If we can have this in our bathrooms, why can't we have an up to date STADIUM!? Our soccer stadium is one of the best in the NCAA. Why can't our football stadium be too? After all, it is our biggest income for athletics.

Not to go on a rant, but does anyone else have the same feelings I do?

ElonPride
December 21st, 2007, 09:18 PM
Paladin Stadium is kinda like the Fenway of FCS, to me at least. To sit down on steel seats with no backs on a concrete base and cheer on your team, it is amazing... ok not really. I love the location of our stadium, right under Paris Mountain, but the stadium itself needs alot. Our pressbox with a few boxes is outdated, to say the least. We have a great etrance to the stadium, Paladin Plaza, but I would love to see us keep an oldstyle brick feel, with modern touches.

Built in 81, our stadium hasn't really been touched, except for a light-board scoarboard and a few thousand seats on the visitors side. I'd love for us to add a couple of levels onto the highscholish looking fieldhouse and throw in a couple of luxury boxes. A video board wouldn't be bad either. Hey, if Byrnes can do it, why can't we?

We have a huge endowment, and have started a new campaign along the ligns of MILLIONS, to fund acedemics. Well folks, we have great acedemics, and great classrooms. Walk into one of the renovated buildings on campus and take a stroll into one of the granite and marble floored bathrooms. The classrooms all have modern projectors and video/prometheum boards. If we can have this in our bathrooms, why can't we have an up to date STADIUM!? Our soccer stadium is one of the best in the NCAA. Why can't our football stadium be too? After all, it is our biggest income for athletics.

Not to go on a rant, but does anyone else have the same feelings I do?

You know, Furman has a BEAUTIFUL campus. It's one of three I put above Elon in beauty. Please do not take offense to this.....but I never could understand how Furman could have a campus that is so stunning, but have a lack luster facility for the FANS. I got a tour of the locker rooms (one of my best friends that graduated from Elon went to grad school at Furman for athletic training.....and I did meet Louis Ivory), and the rest of the facility is awesome. I never figured out why the stadium didn't really compliment everything else "Furman."

UDBlueLotFan
December 22nd, 2007, 08:42 AM

Thanks for sharing. You have the east coast covered. Cudos to Lehigh and Laff xthumbsupx I would leave the Tub for a home/home with you two; nice scenery and venues.

UDBlueLotFan
December 22nd, 2007, 08:50 AM
It is not the Rockies, not even the smokies, but we have our own little hill for the the home side to viewxnodx
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/south_carolina/greenville_paladin.jpg

Already planning that '08 road-trip. 593 miles and 10 hours on the road or rent a plane and fly down with flag pole, grill and get there in 3.5 hours xconfusedx It'll depend on how many our my group of 10 are going to make the trip. But, it's do-able. UNH was 10 hours up due to a 2.5 hour log-jam around the Boston-beltway xbawlingx

unicat87
December 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM

It is! :) -unicat87

unicat87
December 22nd, 2007, 09:57 AM
I certainly like the facility we have with the UNI-Dome. Other FCS stadiums I like include Cal Poly and Coughlin-Alumni Stadium in Brookings, SD for SDSU. The view of the palm trees and the mountains from Cal Poly is fine and it is almost always warm there. Coughlin-Alumni Stadium is the quintessential outdoor crisp fall afternoon or evening open air stadium, a very fine place for the pagentry of FCS football. Seems timeless in a way. -unicat87

BloomHusky'01
December 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Awesome gallery, all 8 pages worth! Did you take them all yourself?

Yes, I took every one of 'em. Visiting college campuses (more specifically, football stadiums ;) ) is a hobby of mine. If interested, here are some other stadium albums from all divisions.

Division 2 and 3
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/553839023BICqTz?vhost=good-times

FBS / FCS
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559926839TXvmwl?vhost=good-times

PSAC (division 2)
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/554978535hlNvqk?vhost=good-times

Seawolf97
December 22nd, 2007, 11:02 AM
Wagner

Student Union View:

http://www.wagner.edu/admissions/sites/wagner.edu.admissions/files/images/eb_students_large.jpg

Dorms:

http://www.wagner.edu/admissions/sites/wagner.edu.admissions/files/images/fb_view2_large.jpg

I have been to Wagner twice for Stonybrook games. Really nice campus and the view as you see is great-and their field is great!xpeacex

Eyes of Old Main
December 22nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Yes, I took every one of 'em. Visiting college campuses (more specifically, football stadiums ;) ) is a hobby of mine. If interested, here are some other stadium albums from all divisions.

Division 2 and 3
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/553839023BICqTz?vhost=good-times

FBS / FCS
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559926839TXvmwl?vhost=good-times

PSAC (division 2)
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/554978535hlNvqk?vhost=good-times

Nice pics! Thanks for posting!

Aho_Old_Guy
December 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Kenan Memorial Stadium in Chapel Hill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenan_Stadium

Oh. I forgot. They play Division III football at Carolina :)

Griz40
December 22nd, 2007, 10:41 PM
Wa/Griz has to be one of the best sitting at the mouth of Hellgate Canyon and Mt. Sentinel being right behind the stadium to the east. Looking to the west is cool because you see the Bitteroot mountain chain.

Weber St. is pretty cool also because it sits at the base of the Wasatch range.

Bozeman is picturesque, as the pictures before show.

Fixed it for ya!xthumbsupx

Griz40
December 22nd, 2007, 10:44 PM
I'm a bit late to this party and don't really give a ***** about my tardiness...but I feel compelled to add my .02 cents, as some other Griz fans have:

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/grizpics/2004/football/unh/normal_12-4-2004-034.jpg

The view at MSU is a bit more spectacular, but it is Western Montana...be it Missoula, or Bozeman...both places are a very LARGE treat for the eyes, and a great place to watch a football game!!!

Ahhhhhh...home sweet home!!!! xthumbsupx

gofurman
December 22nd, 2007, 11:32 PM

I think Furman is a GREAT place to watch a game... whole campus feel, etc.. .. Western Carolina is very pretty in the fall ....

Does anyone have a stadium with a view right to water?

seantaylor
December 23rd, 2007, 01:54 AM
After renovations going on now to the visitors concessions/restrooms, and possible expansion of seats to bowl in the Bishop side, along with rumors of a bigger jumbotron, Paulson would have to rate right up there. We rate up there now, but next year's product should impress.

AppMan
December 23rd, 2007, 06:57 AM

Inevitable expansion? Seating capacity is listed at 8,000, but some say total capacity is 12,000 with people sitting on the banks. Elon has averaged 6782 over the 7 seasons in Rhodes Stadium. with this season's average of 7734 being their highest ever. However, the ASU crowd of 13,100 - largest in stadium history by almost 2500 - had a lot to do with that. No question Elon has a nice facility, but expansion is quite a ways off.

AppMan
December 23rd, 2007, 07:17 AM
Hard to beat The Rock!

AppMan
December 23rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
Hard to beat the Rock!

93henfan
December 23rd, 2007, 08:01 AM
Tub Sweet Tub:

http://www.bluehenfootball.com/StadiumWest-East3.jpg

catamount man
December 23rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
During constuction :

Lovely Cullowhee:

Brings a tear to me old Scottish eye!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I still, sometimes, miss the old one sided stadium. 1994 vs ASU, we had 15,247 packed in like sardines on that one side for a battle between 2 ranked rivals.

Alas, ASU won 12-7.:(

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

furman94
December 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM
You know, Furman has a BEAUTIFUL campus. It's one of three I put above Elon in beauty. Please do not take offense to this.....but I never could understand how Furman could have a campus that is so stunning, but have a lack luster facility for the FANS. I got a tour of the locker rooms (one of my best friends that graduated from Elon went to grad school at Furman for athletic training.....and I did meet Louis Ivory), and the rest of the facility is awesome. I never figured out why the stadium didn't really compliment everything else "Furman."

I know right!? You would think that FU's stadium would be the best in the conference, since we have money coming out the waazoo! (President Shi gave 1mil to the Because FU Maters Campaign xeekx ) Why can't we at least have a completed concourse area, a few decent restrooms, a new scoreboard and some purple stadium chairs?

Jerbearasu
December 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Does anyone have a stadium with a view right to water?

I've seen pics of SIU's campus overlooking a river with the stadium in the background but I'm not sure if you can see the river from inside the stadium. Also, at Gardner Webb you can see a pond outside of one endzone but I'm not sure if that is the body of water you were looking for...

ASUPATCH
December 23rd, 2007, 07:58 PM

You got my vote. I would love to see a game with that view.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 24th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Different animals really to me. I was at Wash-Griz for the 2000 semifinals, and I recall the tailgaiting being really spread out. Of course having never been there I was lost so I may have been walking in circles...

The one things Wash-Griz stadium has that is different is that the seats are right on top of the field. Hence the noise factor that to me is still unmatched in I-AA. Ya'll can make 23,000 fans sound as loud as 85,000 did at Auburn.

Kidd-Brewer will obviously hold a special place in my heart, so I'm seriously biased there. The only thing I will crack on ASU about is that in recent years, the behavior of the students has degraded slowly but surely. Probably the one drawback to the extended tailgaiting that has been in effect the last couple of years. I believe that ASU gets a lot of bad and unwarranted publicity for alleged student behavior. Meaning that I think people right now are way overblown on the true scope of it. But it is getting worse than it was before, I firmly believe that. Something has to be done about alcohol enforcement sooner or later.

Ya know, I'll have to dispute the fact that about the ASU students, sure there are some bad apples, but when I went to school at App. 20 years ago, the students left the games at halftime. At least they are fans nowadays.

I'll give a nod to Wofford. It's a great little stadium with a serious hill at one end and a nice campus as well. Looks like The Citadel is going first-class with their upgrades and Chatt has a nice stadium, albeit in a pretty rough area.

Mountaineer#96
December 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM
What is 1-AA football? xthumbsupx

McTailGator
December 24th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Note the sarcasm...

LOL... I forgot about the Chem. Complex there. THat will be an interesting site on TV. (:

Of course, I'm bias, but your seat in that pressbox in your photo, does not suck. (;

And Of couse, when I can't be there. The view of the game on the internet or on my outdoor TV in my back yard is nice too. (:

http://people.delphiforums.com/tailgateguy/backyard.jpg

Grizalltheway
December 24th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I've seen pics of SIU's campus overlooking a river with the stadium in the background but I'm not sure if you can see the river from inside the stadium. Also, at Gardner Webb you can see a pond outside of one endzone but I'm not sure if that is the body of water you were looking for...

The Clark-Fork River flows about 100 yards from Wa-Griz, same deal though, not sure if you can see it from the stadium.

McTailGator
December 24th, 2007, 03:16 PM
The Clark-Fork River flows about 100 yards from Wa-Griz, same deal though, not sure if you can see it from the stadium.

LOL...

Would that be the same river listed on the SUPERFUND list of most polluted rivers in the nation? xsmiley_wix

Grizalltheway
December 24th, 2007, 04:34 PM
LOL...

Would that be the same river listed on the SUPERFUND list of most polluted rivers in the nation? xsmiley_wix

xnonox
Hey now, that's in the Butte/Anaconda area. I doubt you'd see as many fly fishers and kayakers as you do if it were as polluted around Missoula.

GOKATS
December 24th, 2007, 05:03 PM
xnonox
Hey now, that's in the Butte/Anaconda area. I doubt you'd see as many fly fishers and kayakers as you do if it were as polluted around Missoula.

Not to be an ass, but the Milltown Dam superfund project is only a few miles upstream from wa/griz. Granted, the mining pollution came from the Butte/Anaconda area, but much of it resides in sediment behind the Milltown dam. Ultimately, getting rid of that dam and cleaning up the sediment (pollution) will be of great benefit to the Missoula area.xthumbsupx

YaleFootballFan
December 25th, 2007, 01:07 PM
aside from the obvious one, Bucknell has a beautiful stadium and the Yale Bowl is a great place to watch a game

Never been to Bucknell, but of all the Patriot League stadiums I've been to, Colgate is my favorite. Nice campus, nice setting and a good place to watch a game.

In the Ivy, you just can't beat Dartmouth during Homecoming Weekend. Between the fall foliage, the Friday night Bonfire & Rally and the game on Saturday, it's a great college football experience. Plus the town of Hanover is one of New England's most beautiful towns.

McTailGator
December 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM
xnonox

Well, that is where the contamination started about 90 years ago.

It has made it's way all the way to Missoula according to the MDEQ and the Governor. xliarx

BTW, Arsenic levels anywhere along that river is LESS than the naturally occuring levels of arsenic anywhere around Jackson Hole, Wy. and in the Yellowstone area. Just a little useless data to think about during the Holidays. xcoffeex

WrenFGun
December 25th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Never been to Bucknell, but of all the Patriot League stadiums I've been to, Colgate is my favorite. Nice campus, nice setting and a good place to watch a game.

In the Ivy, you just can't beat Dartmouth during Homecoming Weekend. Between the fall foliage, the Friday night Bonfire & Rally and the game on Saturday, it's a great college football experience. Plus the town of Hanover is one of New England's most beautiful towns.

Goodness, the drive to Hanover is unbearable, though. Just absolutely nothing for hours. Wonderful stadium and campus, of course.

schmofstra
December 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Papa Schmofstra just shelled out 700 Paul McFaddens for diamond earrings for Mama Schmofstra's Festivus gift. So Papa is now hoping that Mama will allow him to venture out of Hempstead next fall to see one of these bucolic venues. He may not get to visit Montana State or even William & Mary, Furman or Western Carolina, but maybe he can at least go to Iona!

By the way, friends, the 'Delaware stadium's pee wall' thread was moved over to the AGS Lounge board, fyi.

ngineer
December 26th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Papa Schmofstra just shelled out 700 Paul McFaddens for diamond earrings for Mama Schmofstra's Festivus gift. So Papa is now hoping that Mama will allow him to venture out of Hempstead next fall to see one of these bucolic venues. He may not get to visit Montana State or even William & Mary, Furman or Western Carolina, but maybe he can at least go to Iona!

By the way, friends, the 'Delaware stadium's pee wall' thread was moved over to the AGS Lounge board, fyi.

I thought it would be 'streaming' by now....;)

UDBlueLotFan
December 26th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Perfect time to visit Furman when your CAA-bro is there? xeyebrowx

schmofstra
January 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM
The AGS Lounge must have needed a pee wall. Indeed, every lounge needs a pee wall!

trouthunter
January 9th, 2008, 01:58 PM
xnonox

Why do you think we wear gore-tex waders, and release the fish after we catch themxsmiley_wix !

GOKATS
January 9th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Why do you think we wear gore-tex waders, and release the fish after we catch themxsmiley_wix !

Best time to fish the Clark Fork is at night- they glow in the dark.:D

ButlerGSU
January 9th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I'm partial to Paulson...

http://a32.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/101/l_aad6a64bbfac72eb521e21ed3ce81baf.jpg

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I'm partial to Paulson...

http://a32.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/101/l_aad6a64bbfac72eb521e21ed3ce81baf.jpg

Well for a nice gameday experience, but beautiful place to watch a game? Not even close.

In my eyes, the campus at Furman is tough to beat, however, I love watching a game in Cullowhee. It's like going to a game in Boone, but without having to put up with that annoying city.

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 9th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I'm going with Richmond......

It has nothing to do with the stadium, campus, or town.

The sun dresses.......soft summer breezes and sun dresses.xthumbsupx

Hundreds and hundreds of sun dresses.

GOKATS
January 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Sheesh! In Montana you're lucky to find a gal wearing a sun dress in July or August-no way in hell you're gonna see that at a football game.

Searching for the 'envious' emoticon.......................................... .

lizrdgizrd
January 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Well for a nice gameday experience, but beautiful place to watch a game? Not even close.

In my eyes, the campus at Furman is tough to beat, however, I love watching a game in Cullowhee. It's like going to a game in Boone, but without having to put up with that annoying city.
There's a city near Boone? xconfusedx

xlolx

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2008, 10:29 PM
There's a city near Boone? xconfusedx

xlolx

more so than around Cullowhee xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
January 10th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Yeah, I guess something is more than nothing. xlolx

bandl
January 10th, 2008, 07:55 AM

JMU is even better in that regard xthumbsupx

The girls aren't nearly as stuck-up as JMU, at Richmond they expect everything and then some to be handed to them on a silver platter driven in a BMW given to them from their daddy. xnodx

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 10th, 2008, 08:01 AM
JMU is even better in that regard xthumbsupx

The girls aren't nearly as stuck-up as JMU, at Richmond they expect everything and then some to be handed to them on a silver platter driven in a BMW given to them from their daddy. xnodx

I had a good time talking with the people at JMU this year when I was there, but it was soooooo f'in HOT that day I couldn't focus. I'll have to take your word for it.

Plus a couple of the co-eds I tailgated with were daughters of friends of mine.:o

Cocky
January 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Visits:
JSU of course
Samford
Western Kentucky-They were FCS when I visited.
JMU
Tennessee State
Chattanooga
Cal-Davis
SEMO
Jackson State
Alabama State
Alabama A&M

Tenn State and Alabama State are views of downtown. I've never been to TSU's campus stadium.

All of the other were very enjoyable. To me JMU is the prettiest with WKU the least favorite. Of course the Snow is the best of them all.

trusty
January 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Paulson has my biased vote.

HIU 93
January 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Are we talking about the stadiums or the campuses? If stadiums, my vote is none of the above. I have never seen a "beautiful" stadium.

TTUEagles
January 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM
TSU's on campus stadium was nicknamed "The Hole" - they left out a word before "hole" and it was every bit of that. An absolute dump.

UDBlueLotFan
January 10th, 2008, 11:50 PM

Did you say sun dresses? :p

Appaholic
January 11th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Cullowhee is a campus with no town......they are trying to build a "town center" across te street from campus......kind of like putting the cart beforethe horse.....xeyebrowx

DuckDuckGriz
January 11th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Sheesh! In Montana you're lucky to find a gal wearing a sun dress in July or August-no way in hell you're gonna see that at a football game.

Searching for the 'envious' emoticon.......................................... .

Here ya go.

http://www.teamline.cc/static/images/logos/montstat.gif
xlolx ;) xpeacex
congrats on saturday's basketball win

UDBlueLotFan
January 11th, 2008, 10:01 PM

Come on you guys have girls with sun dresses out there! xrulesx Here's a few pics to prove it! xsmiley_wix xlolx xrotatehx Just so I'm not biased, that's a Bobcat in pic #2 xoopsx

Ivytalk
January 12th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Cornell at the peak of fall foliage season is very pretty. It usually occurs around the time of the Harvard game.

appfan2008
January 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I have been to...
ASU... duh
WCU
Gardner Webb
Elon
Furman
UTC... for three straight mid december games

of those
Elon has a very pretty little stadium and gardner webb isnt bad... i love utc but i only go there for the national title game so that may have something to do with it?!?! furman is nice but a stadium that doesnt get filled up even for huge games with asu is not cool... wcu was not much fun or pretty but of course the fact it was pouring rain all game and in the mid 40s may have something to do with it... ASU is the prettiest you cant beat that view(in the eastern USA!)

PaladinFan
January 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I have been to...
ASU... duh
WCU
Gardner Webb
Elon
Furman
UTC... for three straight mid december games

of those
Elon has a very pretty little stadium and gardner webb isnt bad... i love utc but i only go there for the national title game so that may have something to do with it?!?! furman is nice but a stadium that doesnt get filled up even for huge games with asu is not cool... wcu was not much fun or pretty but of course the fact it was pouring rain all game and in the mid 40s may have something to do with it... ASU is the prettiest you cant beat that view(in the eastern USA!)

The last time I remember Paladin Stadium completely filled was homecoming 2004 when we entertained GSU in a #2 v. #3 matchup. Furman simply just does not have enough people (only 2600 students) to pack out the stadium every week, esp. with Clemson 20 min away.

Compare, though, Furman's attendance with other schools of it's size and the attendance is off the charts. One issue we face is that all of our home fans sit on the home side and visiting fans on the visiting side, but the visiting side rarely comes near filling up. Only GSU comes close to packing out the East Stands.

ButlerGSU
January 12th, 2008, 12:46 PM
The last time I remember Paladin Stadium completely filled was homecoming 2004 when we entertained GSU in a #2 v. #3 matchup. Furman simply just does not have enough people (only 2600 students) to pack out the stadium every week, esp. with Clemson 20 min away.

Compare, though, Furman's attendance with other schools of it's size and the attendance is off the charts. One issue we face is that all of our home fans sit on the home side and visiting fans on the visiting side, but the visiting side rarely comes near filling up. Only GSU comes close to packing out the East Stands.

I was at the game in 2004 and can say it was packed.

catamount man
January 12th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Cullowhee is a campus with no town......they are trying to build a "town center" across te street from campus......kind of like putting the cart beforethe horse.....xeyebrowx

Cullowhee, to be technically correct, is a CDP that just happens to be the location of Western Carolina University.

If they would tear down some of the old eyesores on the backside of campus, aka Old Cullowhee Rd, and put some new businesses in there, it would look 100% better.

Word is that that will come. When, who knows?

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

AppMan
January 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Paulson has my biased vote.

My biggest problem with Paulson (much like the lower levels of KBS) is the rise of the stadium is so slight if someone 6' or better sits in front of you, you have no shot of seeing the game. Somehow stadium designers need go into the process with the thought of a person 6' 2" people sitting in front of you. Leg room and sight lines. That's all I want.

Tribe4SF
January 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Are we talking about the stadiums or the campuses? If stadiums, my vote is none of the above. I have never seen a "beautiful" stadium.

Zable might qualify.

furman94
January 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Sorry, but the Track kills Zable. I love the architecture, but intimacy is a HUGE factor.

lizrdgizrd
January 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Zable might qualify.

Sorry, but the Track kills Zable. I love the architecture, but intimacy is a HUGE factor.

It's not so much the track as it is that rickety set of green stands in the end zone. :pumpuke:

SuperEagle
January 14th, 2008, 09:09 AM
My biggest problem with Paulson (much like the lower levels of KBS) is the rise of the stadium is so slight if someone 6' or better sits in front of you, you have no shot of seeing the game. Somehow stadium designers need go into the process with the thought of a person 6' 2" people sitting in front of you. Leg room and sight lines. That's all I want.
Paulson itself is quite nice IMO. But I'll admit the backdrop of other stadiums is much nicer. Many stadiums you'll see a backdrop of mountains and beautiful sky lines, you don't get that at Paulson. But you can see a parking lot and a gas station :)

Tribe4SF
January 14th, 2008, 01:27 PM
It's not so much the track as it is that rickety set of green stands in the end zone. :pumpuke:

Those stands are anything but rickety.

As they look on gameday.

lizrdgizrd
January 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Those stands are anything but rickety.

As they look on gameday.
I've sat in them and they creaked and shook whenever anyone walked by.

Tribe4SF
January 14th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Lost picture somehow.

HIU 93
January 14th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Zable might qualify.

I've watched several games at Zable. Sorry, still no dice.

grizband
January 14th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Bozeman definitely has great scenery, but how much of this is viewable from the stadium? I have only been twice, and don't remember how much of those mountains can be seen from inside the stadium.

griz8791
January 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Pretty much all of it.

brownbear
January 14th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Bozeman definitely has great scenery, but how much of this is viewable from the stadium? I have only been twice, and don't remember how much of those mountains can be seen from inside the stadium.

I have these two photos from when I went to Bozeman. I took these on a cloudy day when there was a snowstorm in the mountains. On a clear day from the upper seats, I'm sure you could get a great view of the mountains.

Seawolf97
January 14th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Cullowhee, to be technically correct, is a CDP that just happens to be the location of Western Carolina University.

If they would tear down some of the old eyesores on the backside of campus, aka Old Cullowhee Rd, and put some new businesses in there, it would look 100% better.

Word is that that will come. When, who knows?

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Just curious. What is a CDP? On Long Island we have villages, hamlets, townships but no CDP's.

brownbear
January 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Just curious. What is a CDP? On Long Island we have villages, hamlets, townships but no CDP's.

Census Designated Place, they don't have municipal governments, they're basically just landmarks on maps.

Seawolf97
January 14th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Census Designated Place, they don't have municipal governments, they're basically just landmarks on maps.

Good to know. Hamlets on LI are similar they are within townships usually have their own school district but thats all. All other services are at the township or county level.

furman94
January 15th, 2008, 05:27 PM
The Whee is basically a pit stop to Boone or Asheville!

whoanellie
January 15th, 2008, 09:48 PM
take the left fork at the second intersection proceed past the hollow tree etc.

WUTNDITWAA
January 15th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Zable might qualify.

Cool! I've got seats on the 50 yard line. xsmiley_wix

Tribe4SF
January 16th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Cool! I've got seats on the 50 yard line. xsmiley_wix

Then you're a VIP! Under the awning, with no clamor in front of you.xthumbsupx

schmofstra
January 18th, 2008, 10:44 AM
For the people who earlier were asking if any stadium has a water view, I refer you to the Wagner College photos posted by our friend Seahawks Fan. You can see the Verrazano Narrow bridge, much of New York Harbor and part of Brooklyn right there from your seat. After the game, if you take a short walk to the left of the stadium exit, you get that full view of Lower Manhattan and the harbor like the one that's in Seahawk Fan's photo from that dorm.

Now, a question for you Georgia Southern people. In those photos that you posted, it looks like the endzone seating is just a grassy embankment, right? Does that mean you can spread out a picnic blanket there? Now for us up here in New York, that isn't exactly an enticing thought, especially for a November game. But in southern Georgia in September, I bet it's GRRRRREAT! Did someone mention sundresses?

Seahawks Fan
January 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Seahawks Stadium

That is the Verrazano Bridge in the background and the New York harbour.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wagn/galleries/images/_l3w2212-lg.jpg

Seawolf97
January 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Seahawks Stadium

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wagn/galleries/images/_l3w2212-lg.jpg

The view is great and the field is really maintained wellxthumbsupx

UCAMonkey
January 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Seahawks Stadium

Awesome view. Are you suppose to bring a picnic basket and blanket to sit on or just some lawn chairs? xwhistlex

Fear The Beard
January 19th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Got to love KBS. Always the most beautiful with 28,000 of your best friends!xeekx xeekx xeekx

AppSt.09
January 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
thanks for the endorsement!!!! Rhodes is such a special place to the former Fight'n Christians!!! Turf is real grass to boot Sam Wyche as TV analyst during GSU game thought it was artificial..... Furman Grad.....Still a great recruiting tool.
Now that We have a solid product from coach Lembo on the field. The excitement will be awesome with more student and area enthusiasm on the rise.

My best friend goes to Elon and over the years I have been to quite a few games there and I will say that I have never seen the student involvement at that stadium be any higher than last year's Elon/App game and I was very impressed about how the students are finally backing their school's football team.

93henfan
January 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Got to love KBS. Always the most beautiful with 28,000 of your best friends!xeekx xeekx xeekx

Holy crap are the end zone seats a long way from the field! Has the shot-put team ever come out and practiced while a football game was being played? They'd have plenty of room.

Appinator
January 22nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Holy crap are the end zone seats a long way from the field! Has the shot-put team ever come out and practiced while a football game was being played? They'd have plenty of room.

They put a temporary fence up for the GSU game that they were expecting over 28,000 this year along the endzone, but there were only a few students that went to stand along it. The grass area where everyone is sitting in that picture is a great seat if you're along the top, but it might be the worst place to watch the game if you're along the fence that boarders the track

ERASU2113
January 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
They put a temporary fence up for the GSU game that they were expecting over 28,000 this year along the endzone, but there were only a few students that went to stand along it. The grass area where everyone is sitting in that picture is a great seat if you're along the top, but it might be the worst place to watch the game if you're along the fence that boarders the track

A few? There were countless students along that fence. I was one of them....one of the few games I didn't cover. It was great, ASU students and GSU students side by side. One of the funnest experiences of the season.

There's a picture I have at home from the game with the gate behind the endzone. It's home on my computer at home. I'll try to find it later tonight when I get off work.

ASU
January 23rd, 2008, 12:44 AM
Hey "the wall" under the home stands at the Tub is legendary. If there ever is a new Tub it'll include a wall.

I thought all the piss walls went out back in the 1950's. I remember using some when I was a kid. xnonox

uofmman1122
January 23rd, 2008, 12:48 AM
Got to love KBS. Always the most beautiful with 28,000 of your best friends!xeekx xeekx xeekxI know everyone's said it before, but.....God......that freaking track........xlolx

JaxSinfonian
January 23rd, 2008, 07:56 AM
I've visited FCS stadiums at:

Samford
Furman
Chattanooga
Alabama State
Troy State (I-AA at the time)

And maybe a few more I'm forgetting. All were nice places to watch a game. And of course, there's our own.

As for beauty? Paul Snow does OK, I think. From the south side stands, there's a nice view of the ridge and Chimney Peak east of town. My only complaint about the new scoreboard is it blocks a portion of that view.

http://lh6.google.com/bcunningham.star/R5dGcQ6xliI/AAAAAAAAAhs/wnXS4yHhrgM/ps-cp-view2.jpg

TTUEagles
January 23rd, 2008, 08:02 AM
I happen to like Autumn Saturdays up on the plateau, at Tennessee Tech. Of course, the coming games will be much better to go with my new son, born last night!!! A future Golden Eagle and FCS guy!

(sorry, I'm excited and couldn't help myself!!!)

AshevilleApp2
January 23rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
I happen to like Autumn Saturdays up on the plateau, at Tennessee Tech. Of course, the coming games will be much better to go with my new son, born last night!!! A future Golden Eagle and FCS guy!

Congratulations! No need to apologize, you should be excited!xthumbsupx
I predict very little sleep in your near future.xrotatehx

proasu89
January 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM

xthumbsupx

Touchdown Yosef
January 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM

Those seats are actually just a grass hill. Glad I didn't have to sit there but always glad to pack in a few more screaming fans.

ERASU2113
January 23rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Here are 2 pictures from the GSU/ASU game this year. This was from the view from the fence at the endzone at Kidd Brewer Stadium. All along the fence students were standing, both ASU and GSU. It was crazy.

By the way that's me in the black with sunglasses, in case you wonder xwhistlex
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v129/73/44/29701038/n29701038_33329006_3063.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v129/73/44/29701038/n29701038_33329005_2018.jpg

ERASU2113
January 23rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
I know everyone's said it before, but.....God......that freaking track........xlolx

Yea in '05, when Montana State came here. Everyone wanted to ask the MSU coach what it is like playing here rather than at Montana.

Of course everything was pretty similar, except the track xwhistlex

GOKATS
January 23rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Yea in '05, when Montana State came here. Everyone wanted to ask the MSU coach what it is like playing here rather than at Montana.

I assume you meant '06.xnodx

Bettina90
January 24th, 2008, 08:01 AM
The Hands down winner in this category is:

"On a 60" HDTV in Scarlett Johannsen's (or insert favorite Hollywood Starlet's name here) bed".

Winner.

AshevilleApp2
January 24th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Here are 2 pictures from the GSU/ASU game this year. This was from the view from the fence at the endzone at Kidd Brewer Stadium. All along the fence students were standing, both ASU and GSU. It was crazy.

By the way that's me in the black with sunglasses, in case you wonder xwhistlex
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v129/73/44/29701038/n29701038_33329006_3063.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v129/73/44/29701038/n29701038_33329005_2018.jpg

Nice pictures. Early fall in the High Country! Kidd Brewer may not be the most beautiful stadium, but Boone has to be one of the best settings for a game in the country.

ERASU2113
January 24th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I assume you meant '06.xnodx

Doh! Typo xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

ERASU2113
January 24th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Nice pictures. Early fall in the High Country! Kidd Brewer may not be the most beautiful stadium, but Boone has to be one of the best settings for a game in the country.

Sitting on the West side with the campus and mountains in the background is spectacular. Especially when the leaves begin changing it's awesome.

If you ever make a trip into the mountains of NC to look at the fall foilage, make a trip to Boone to watch an ASU game. Purely amazing.

An image of KBS from a few years ago...before renovations began and even the entrance & ticket booth were added on the East side.
http://www.tour.appstate.edu/images/athletics/varsity8.jpg

ERASU2113
January 24th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Sorry to keep goin on about Kidd Brewer Stadium but here's a picture of what a gameday looked like this year.

Black Saturday vs. Georgia Southern. Packed house, even though we lost you can clearly see the fence and not just a handful of students there :D

Now you guys can see where people sit when the seats are gone :D. Gotta love gamedays at ASU

FYI: That siliver building at the left behind the east side is the temporary boxes they put up after they tore down the press box...which is missing from one of the earlier pictures I put up earlier. The opening box in the center is where the press and SIDs sat during each game.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/KiddBrewerStadium.jpg

AshevilleApp2
January 24th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Sorry to keep goin on about Kidd Brewer Stadium but here's a picture of what a gameday looked like this year.

Black Saturday vs. Georgia Southern. Packed house, even though we lost you can clearly see the fence and not just a handful of students there :D

Now you guys can see where people sit when the seats are gone :D. Gotta love gamedays at ASU

FYI: That siliver building at the left behind the east side is the temporary boxes they put up after they tore down the press box...which is missing from one of the earlier pictures I put up earlier. The opening box in the center is where the press and SIDs sat during each game.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/KiddBrewerStadium.jpg

Yeah it is a great place to see a game. (Unfortunately I was at that little butt whipping courtesy of a team not to be mentioned.) Be glad you got to attend in this era, I remember when KB was Conrad Stadium and sat mostly empty.

ERASU2113
January 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah it is a great place to see a game. (Unfortunately I was at that little butt whipping courtesy of a team not to be mentioned.) Be glad you got to attend in this era, I remember when KB was Conrad Stadium and sat mostly empty.

Yea I know. I went to all the games in '04 when they knew how to win at home, but couldn't win anywhere else. Was a shame. Then came 2005.....and the rest was history.

Grizaholic17
January 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Everyone in these threads can say that they have the best setting and/or atmosphere, but Washington Griz is the one for everyone to experience. The crowd is 8 feet away from the players and the the sound was measured by an ESPN crew back in '04, and the decibel level was equal to that of a jet engine. Kid Brewer fans can hype up there crowd of 28,000, but the 23,000 and soon to be 25000 at Wash-Griz is unmatched in sound and scenery.

citdog
January 24th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Everyone in these threads can say that they have the best setting and/or atmosphere, but Washington Griz is the one for everyone to experience. The crowd is 8 feet away from the players and the the sound was measured by an ESPN crew back in '04, and the decibel level was equal to that of a jet engine. Kid Brewer fans can hype up there crowd of 28,000, but the 23,000 and soon to be 25000 at Wash-Griz is unmatched in sound and scenery.

with that OOC schedule no one gives a rats ass. I'll take Charleston, and The South Carolina Corps of Cadets anyday!

Grizaholic17
January 24th, 2008, 05:42 PM
with that OOC schedule no one gives a rats ass. I'll take Charleston, and The South Carolina Corps of Cadets anyday!

Well, last time I checked, no one ever does. It's the griz envy.

ERASU2113
January 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM

I wouldn't doubt it. That's the one thing I'm jealous about regarding Washington Griz..you guys are right on top of the action. KBS you've got the track in the way from being like that.

Edit: IMO: I truly believe that if KBS didn't have the track, it would make it one of the loudest places...along with Washington Griz.

Both places are top notch, believe me. I've never experience a game in Missoula but I want to one day. Just to see what it's like and because so many say KBS and Wash-Griz are two of the loudest/best places to watch a FCS game.

UDBlueLotFan
January 24th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't doubt it. That's the one thing I'm jealous about regarding Washington Griz..you guys are right on top of the action. KBS you've got the track in the way from being like that.

Edit: IMO: I truly believe that if KBS didn't have the track, it would make it one of the loudest places...along with Washington Griz.

Both places are top notch, believe me. I've never experience a game in Missoula but I want to one day. Just to see what it's like and because so many say KBS and Wash-Griz are two of the loudest/best places to watch a FCS game.

You could possibly travel there in the semi's during the playoffs? Last season would have been a good scenario, when App. was an at-large and the Griz is seeded and at home throughout.....BUT,.... then again, the Griz have to get out of the 1st Rd..jk,..jk guys xlolx xlolx xlolx

ERASU2113
January 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM
If that were to ever happen, an ASU/UofM meeting in Missoula. I'm there :D

uofmman1122
January 24th, 2008, 09:16 PM
If that were to ever happen, an ASU/UofM meeting in Missoula. I'm there :DJust drop a line, and we'd be glad to have you. Like I've been saying, though, not next year. I can't very well fly home from Japan for one game. xlolx

Nah, I'd be tickled if we got a chance to play ASU next year. From what I've heard, though, I'd have to get up at 4:00 a.m. roughly to catch the game live online....Not something I'm looking forward to, but damnit, I'm not missing Griz football next year! xlolx

ERASU2113
January 24th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks man, same to you.

Ever since I got to ASU when it comes to I-AA footbal...on a national stage all I hear about is UofM.

Before last season I know our AD was in talks with Montana about scheduling eachother. Not sure if it was for a home-and-home style game or just a filler. It was played as just a school (ASU) looking to fill a schedule. When people heard about it around campus, it got people excited.

Granted money is a big problem for the schools to really play each other often. But a home-and-home would be amazing.

Grizo406
January 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Although there are a ton of beautiful places to watch an FCS football game, the Grizo most wants to see one at, (in no particular order): Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, and Delaware.

AshevilleApp2
January 25th, 2008, 07:52 AM

I'd love to see a game there. How about a home and home series?xthumbsupx