PDA

View Full Version : Wagner kicker Piotr Czech

schmofstra
December 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM
In honor of those nice Wagner alums who replied to "Our Subdivision, Old-School", I'm starting a new thread about Piotr Czech. From Grymes Hill to the NFL, eh? With field goals of 56, 54 and 53 yards, this Jersey boy should turn some heads among the Sunday league scouts. I wonder where he will rank with Mel Kiper, who of course never strapped one on (a kicking shoe, I mean). Which NFL teams are in particular need of a PK? I think the New York Football Giants may be one, eh?

Seahawks Fan
December 19th, 2007, 12:14 PM
The Giants could definitely use Piotr Czech. xthumbsupx

http://wagnerathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121007aab.html

schmofstra
December 19th, 2007, 12:22 PM
BTW, that's a beautiful campus and a real nice setting for college football up there on that hill. You're watching the game -- and you have a panoramic view of New York Harbor and the Verrazano Bridge to boot. Nice halftime dancers too! And cheap grub. The only thing that would make it better for this old-school fan is if it were a real grass field.

DinoDex200
December 19th, 2007, 12:49 PM
In honor of those nice Wagner alums who replied to "Our Subdivision, Old-School", I'm starting a new thread about Piotr Czech. From Grymes Hill to the NFL, eh? With field goals of 56, 54 and 53 yards, this Jersey boy should turn some heads among the Sunday league scouts. I wonder where he will rank with Mel Kiper, who of course never strapped one on (a kicking shoe, I mean). Which NFL teams are in particular need of a PK? I think the New York Football Giants may be one, eh?

He's a pretty good goal keeper too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petr_Cech

How he can balance two sports on different continents is beyond me.

schmofstra
December 19th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Yes! And isn't Chelsea known as the Blues? Same as the NY Football Jints! What a coinkydink!

Seahawks Fan
December 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM
And they are both 6'5". xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

downbythebeach
December 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Wagner's the only DI school on S.I. right?

schmofstra
December 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Yep, only DI school on Staten Island. Interesting, though, that NYC is traditionally viewed as a crappy college football town, without a I-A program and everybody basically waiting for Notre Dame to come to the Meadowlands once in a while. However, if you are a I-AA junkie like the Schmofstras are, you have no less than three programs within the five boroughs -- Wagner, Fordham, Columbia. Then good old Hofstra and Stony Brook are right there too. And we're talking about all different leagues here, with five very different traditions. Pretty easy to find a game to go to on Saturdays! Monmouth and Princeton ain't far away either.

Seawolf97
December 19th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Yep, only DI school on Staten Island. Interesting, though, that NYC is traditionally viewed as a crappy college football town, without a I-A program and everybody basically waiting for Notre Dame to come to the Meadowlands once in a while. However, if you are a I-AA junkie like the Schmofstras are, you have no less than three programs within the five boroughs -- Wagner, Fordham, Columbia. Then good old Hofstra and Stony Brook are right there too. And we're talking about all different leagues here, with five very different traditions. Pretty easy to find a game to go to on Saturdays! Monmouth and Princeton ain't far away either.

Dont forget Iona just across the city line in New Rochelle

schmofstra
December 20th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Excellent point! The Schmofstras haven't visited Iona yet, and we should pencil it in for '08. Time to start a thread asking people their opinion on the nicest setting for I-AA football.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2007, 11:59 AM
This gives me a change to flog my perennial idea for NYC football:

"The Bloomberg Trophy" offered to the winner of the Columbia, Fordham, Wagner Series

This will never happen, though, until the Ivy League expands to 11 games (likelihood: slim). With three OOC games, those schedules are tough to crack, and having two locked up every year is a hard sell. Four would be easier.

Fordham and Columbia already play for the "Liberty Cup" and it is developing into a pretty nice rivalry. Why not invite Wagner to the party, too? It would be great for football in the tri-state area.

Seahawks Fan
December 20th, 2007, 12:03 PM
This gives me a change to flog my perennial idea for NYC football:

"The Bloomberg Trophy" offered to the winner of the Columbia, Fordham, Wagner Series

I'm all for it! xthumbsupx

schmofstra
December 20th, 2007, 02:18 PM
That Bloomberg Trophy idea for a three-way NYC series is a TREMENDOUS idea. It would definitely generate some interest in the five boroughs and would bring more media coverage to those matchups. Can't it be done under the teams' current scheduling format? Could Columbia add Wagner early in the season? We'd say it'd be pretty competitive too. Maybe the Fordham Rams would usually have a bit of an edge most of the time. I wonder how many people know that the five boroughs have three I-AA football programs.