PDA

View Full Version : FCS All-Freshman Team?

Smendy
December 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Folks, I was looking all over for a link that would give an FCS All-Freshman team, but couldn't find one xnonox

Anyway, I logged onto a website today and they posted freshman watchlist:

http://www.draftdaddy.com/nfldraft/bestfresh.cfm

I don't know how well they know FCS football, but I used that list as reference in hopes of creating my own FCS All-Freshman team.....I came up with some more names

Anyway, I'd love to get input from the posters here on players they and I may've missed, so I could tweak the list.

My Lame attempt at an FCS All-Freshman Team (I could care less about a players Pro Potential)

QB Jeff Ehrhardt ~ Murray State
RB Karrington Bush ~ Texas State
RB Philip Sylvester -- Florida A&M or Joe Trombetta ~ UC Davis
WR Kevin Grayson ~ Richmond
WR Marquel Pittman ~ Western Carolina or Anthony Nelson -- Hofstra
OT David Arkin ~ Missouri State
OT Kevin Uhll -- Delware
OC Jason Cox -- Cal Poly [thanks to Slostang's tip]
OG ?????
OG ?????

DE Victor Visoky ~ Western Illinois
DL Justin Lawrence -- Morgan State
DL ?????
LB Scott Lewis -- St. Francis (Pa.)
LB D.J. Smith ~ Appalachian State
LB Ryan Pederson -- Portland State (should absolutely be on DD's list!)
LB Jeffrey Williams ~ Gardner-Webb
CB Anthony Walters ~ Delaware
CB Rashad Haynes ~ Eastern Illinois
S Martel Moody ~ Villanova
S Darrius Middlebrooks ~ Indiana State

xcoffeex

UNHWildCats
December 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I think Scott Riddle from Elon is the QB, not only are his numbers a lot better, but he also had his team in the playoff hunt.

Fordham
December 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM
RB - Xavier Martin, Fordham; 2nd Team All-Conference; PL Rookie of the Year

bamamountaineer1013
December 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM
That Grayson kid from Richmond is only a freshman...wow

Smendy
December 18th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Good point Wildcat. Of the three FCS QB's they listed, I only considered Erhardt and Riddle, so I may change that....Fink's stats are awesome, but he plays in a weaker Conference, so I went with Erhardt or Riddle....

P.S: Any young New Hampshire stars worth noting, Wildcat?

UNHWildCats
December 18th, 2007, 05:11 PM
there were a few freshman who had decent years like JT Wright and Hugo Souza

ERASU2113
December 18th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Yea I was gonna suggest D.J. Smith ::D

WVAPPmountaineer
December 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I think I would add CoCo Hillary (APP) as a WR/KR

slostang
December 18th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Cal Poly OL Jason Cox should be on a FCS All-Freshman team. He was the freshman of the year in the GWFC.

Also UC Davis RB Joe Trombetta had a good freshman year.

Smendy
December 18th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies....

Hugo Souza had really good stats, Wildcat....He's definitely worthy of mention and when I watch the Cats' next season (I'm in the Northeast), I'll follow him closely.

Slostang, just looked up Jason Cox, while he looks like a non pro prospect as a ex-walk-on and only being listed at 6', he's good enough to make a FCS All-Freshman team. Thanks for the tip xpeacex

ElonPride
December 18th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I think Scott Riddle from Elon is the QB, not only are his numbers a lot better, but he also had his team in the playoff hunt.

I would put Riddle there too, the guy threw for almost 4,000 yards and accounted for 40 TDs (31 passing and 9 rushing). Not only did he have Elon in the playoff hunt, they darn nearly won the confernce title.

EVerything else looks pretty good.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I, too, would include Riddle - he was as composed in the pocket as anyone I have seen in some time

DTSpider
December 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I don't know if other conferences announce freshmen of the year, but Grayson was the CAA's Offensive Freshmen of the Year and McBride was the CAA's Defensive Freshmen of the Year. I'd have to think those two would garner spots on this list (although I know Grayons is already on the list).

I think the key for UR is keeping the all the freshmen & sophomores on the team for all 4 years. Too many times in the past we've had starters leave after their junior season when they graduate. We've also had a number of guys transfer recently.

JmuSkinsfan
December 18th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Griff Yancey from JMU played very well for a freshman RB and his level of competition is much higher than most of these kids playing on crap teams against crap opponents. Except for Grayson on offense....he was good for UR

smallcollegefbfan
December 18th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I would consider LB EJ Webb of GSU. He is a good one as well.

Lionsrking
December 18th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Folks, I was looking all over for a link that would give an FCS All-Freshman team, but couldn't find one xnonox

I don't know how well they know FCS football, but I used that list as reference in hopes of creating my own FCS All-Freshman team.....I came up with some more names

Anyway, I'd love to get input from the posters here on players they and I may've missed, so I could tweak the list.

My Lame attempt at an FCS All-Freshman Team (I could care less about a players Pro Potential)

OT Kevin Uhll -- Delware
OG ?????
OG ?????

DL ?????

xcoffeex

Mark Newbill, Southeastern Louisiana, without question should be considered as a freshman All-American at Middle LB. He didn't become a full-time starter until SLC play started and finished third in the league in tackles (84 total, 57 solo...we don't pad assists like a lot of schools do), eighth in tackles for loss (8), and tied for 6th in sacks (3). He was as good a LB as there was in the league by the end of the year and I predict will win many awards before his career is done.

Hoyadestroya85
December 18th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Martel Moody is dirty

ngineer
December 18th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Lehigh's freshman middle guard Phil Winnett, 6'1", 295 lbs., from Massilon, OH, had a very good year seeing alot of time in the trenches, and kickoff returner John Kennedy out of Central HS in Philadelphia was in the top 20 in FCS for most the season..not sure how he ended up. I suspect you'll be hearing of these guys down the road.

Hoyadestroya85
December 19th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Don't Forget about Matt Szczur from Villanova as a ST/KR/PR.. he is a very gifted athlete.. and if we needed him to he could play anything from QB (which he did in certain situations), to RB, to DB considering some of the hits he had playing on special teams.

GeauxLions94
December 19th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Mark Newbill, Southeastern Louisiana, without question should be considered as a freshman All-American at Middle LB. He didn't become a full-time starter until SLC play started and finished third in the league in tackles (84 total, 57 solo...we don't pad assists like a lot of schools do), eighth in tackles for loss (8), and tied for 6th in sacks (3). He was as good a LB as there was in the league by the end of the year and I predict will win many awards before his career is done.

Agreed on Newbill. Not mention future pub for Ryan Godare (LB), Jared Byers (DB) and John Williams (DL). The fact we had as many as seven freshmen on the field at any given time and still had chances to win. One game in particular that stood out (WE HAD NO SHOT IN WINNING) was the Kansas game where we stopped them late on fourth down with a few KU starters still in the game. That was pretty impressive

Lionsrking
December 19th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Agreed on Newbill. Not mention future pub for Ryan Godare (LB), Jared Byers (DB) and John Williams (DL). The fact we had as many as seven freshmen on the field at any given time and still had chances to win. One game in particular that stood out (WE HAD NO SHOT IN WINNING) was the Kansas game where we stopped them late on fourth down with a few KU starters still in the game. That was pretty impressive

Don't forget Ryan Anderson (DE) as well.

As far as that stop against Kansas, they had their ENTIRE starting offense in the game when we held them to a four and out right before the half. We had seven freshmen on the field at the time, six of them true freshmen.

Of course we played as many seven true freshmen on defense at one time in most of our conference games, and had chances to win them all except for McNeese. Future is very bright for the Lions!!!

Brad82
December 19th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Matt Hanson and Anthony Ferrer from Rhody merit consideration.

touchdown
December 19th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Godfrey Smith Wide receiver- San Diego 6'1 177
35 catches and 5 touchdowns

Eight Legger
December 19th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Our kick returner Justin Rogers would probably also be on this list. He led the nation in return yards most of the season until the end when teams stopped kicking to him, and even then he would bust one for 40-50 yards occasionally.

Ud1Hens
December 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Our kick returner Justin Rogers would probably also be on this list. He led the nation in return yards most of the season until the end when teams stopped kicking to him, and even then he would bust one for 40-50 yards occasionally.

I agree...He forced teams to do something different because of his presence. See Delaware's Sky-Kicks...

lc83
December 19th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Scott Gray - Butler University

141 car./571 yrds./15 TDS. (9 games)

http://butlersports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gray_scott01.html

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I like the effort, but it's important to remember that some of these guys are TRUE freshmen while others are redshirt freshmen. For example, none of the Patriot League guys are redshirts, while I believe Rodgers and Grayson on Richmond are redshirts.

Smendy
December 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Great replies. Thanks to all that have taken the time to reply, I've checked out every single player suggested in this thread.

Actually, this has turned into a terrific post, as we are shedding some light on some future small school gems.....The FBS freshman get All-American's accolades by the mainstream sports media (Sporting News, Rivals, ect.), so, at the very least, we can give these young FCS stars credit here at AGS xnodx

Comments:

** I've noticed there are a ton of great young LB's and RB's, but few OL's and DL's put forth. Talented LB's, that should be one this list would include Mark Newbill and the kid from Richmond.

** I saw Matt Szczur play....I thought he was only a QB, but I didn't realize how good of an all-around athlete he was.

**Looked up the Rhody players -- both are impressive, but Matt Hansen looks like he could be a future star for the Rams.....but as a bulked LB or SS?

**Good point Lehigh fan on the distinction between R-Shirts & true freshmen...

I'll tweak my original list when I get more time.....It's looking more and more like I'll go with Riddle or Erhardt at QB xpeacex

elonballer
December 19th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Don't overlook Elon's OLB Wiggins. I know he made Soutehrn Pigskin's all frosh team.

terrierbob
December 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Sean Lees, Wofford.

He won special teams player of the week in the SoCon Nov. 24. he's fast and durable.

Wofford’s Sean Lees (Libertyville, Ill.) was named SoCon Special Teams Player of the Week. Lees returned three kickoffs for a total of 115 yards in a 42-16 triumph at Chattanooga. Lees returned
a kickoff 79 yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter,his first career touchdown, as the Terriers put the game out of reach.

Smendy
December 19th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Folks, thanks for all input. It was so good, I decided to go with a second team, also xrulesx

But, as with the first team, I had to leave out several very good RB's WR's and LB's, while I'm having trouble finding any linemen and tight ends xeyebrowx

QB Scott Riddle -- Elon
RB Karrington Bush -- Texas State
RB Joe Trombetta -- UC Davis
WR Kevin Grayson -- Richmond
WR Marquel Pittman -- Western Carolina or Anthony Nelson -- Hofstra
OT Kevin Uhll -- Delware
OC Jason Cox -- Cal Poly
OG ?????
OG ?????

DE Victor Visoky -- Western Illinois
DL ?????
LB Eric McBride -- Richmond
LB D.J. Smith -- Appalachian State
LB Ryan Pederson -- Portland State
LB EJ Webb -- Georgia Southern
CB Anthony Walters -- Delaware
CB Rashad Haynes -- Eastern Illinois
S Martel Moody -- Villanova
S Darrius Middlebrooks -- Indiana State

Second Team:

QB Jef Erhardt -- Murray State
RB Xavier Martin -- Fordham
RB Philip Sylvester -- Florida A&M
WR CoCo Hilliary -- Appalachian State
WR Anthony Nelson -- Hofstra
OT ?????
OT ?????
OC Brett Irvin, Appalachian State
OG ?????
OG ?????

DE ?????
DL John Williams -- Southeastern Louisiana
DL Phil Winnett -- Lehigh
LB Mark Newbill -- Southeastern Louisiana
LB Brandon Wiggins -- Elon
LB Jeffrey Williams -- Gardner-Webb
CB ?????
CB Justin Rogers --Richmond (KR)
S Matt Hansen -- Rhode Island

Thanks for the help.....Maybe doing a sophomore team would be easier xlolx

mikebigg
December 20th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Grambling's Frank Warren rushed for over 800 yards and averaged nearly 5.0 per carry in winning the SWAC's Frosh of the Year Award. Was also second team all-conference.

Hoyadestroya85
December 20th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Terrence Thomas Villanova True Freshman linebacker.. not sure on the stats but i believe he sacked Flacco twice and was Rookie of the week once or twice

Green Cookie Monster
December 20th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Sacramento State Bryan Hilliard

'Freshman running back Bryan Hilliard was the team's lone selection at running back. Hilliard led the Hornets with 826 rushing yards and seven touchdowns. He ended the year with three straight 100-yard games, including a career high 243 yard, three touchdown effort in the win over Idaho State on Nov. 17.'

243 yds. in one game is not bad for a freshman. And to close out the year with three straight 100+ yds.

OLDLCOACH111
December 20th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Folks, thanks for all input. It was so good, I decided to go with a second team, also xrulesx

But, as with the first team, I had to leave out several very good RB's WR's and LB's, while I'm having trouble finding any linemen and tight ends xeyebrowx

QB Scott Riddle -- Elon
RB Karrington Bush -- Texas State
RB Joe Trombetta -- UC Davis
WR Kevin Grayson -- Richmond
WR Marquel Pittman -- Western Carolina or Anthony Nelson -- Hofstra
OT Kevin Uhll -- Delware
OC Jason Cox -- Cal Poly
OG ?????
OG ?????

DE Victor Visoky -- Western Illinois
DL ?????
LB Eric McBride -- Richmond
LB D.J. Smith -- Appalachian State
LB Ryan Pederson -- Portland State
LB EJ Webb -- Georgia Southern
CB Anthony Walters -- Delaware
CB Rashad Haynes -- Eastern Illinois
S Martel Moody -- Villanova

Second Team:

QB Jef Erhardt -- Murray State
RB Xavier Martin -- Fordham
RB Philip Sylvester -- Florida A&M
WR CoCo Hilliary -- Appalachian State
WR Anthony Nelson -- Hofstra
OT ?????
OT ?????
OC Brett Irvin, Appalachian State
OG ?????
OG ?????

DE ?????
DL John Williams -- Southeastern Louisiana
DL Phil Winnett -- Lehigh
LB Mark Newbill -- Southeastern Louisiana
LB Brandon Wiggins -- Elon
LB Jeffrey Williams -- Gardner-Webb
CB ?????
CB Justin Rogers --Richmond (KR)
S Matt Hansen -- Rhode Island

Thanks for the help.....Maybe doing a sophomore team would be easier xlolx

I think you put together a great list, yet I would argue Jeffrey Williams of Gardner Webb to be first team...

# 17 in the nation total tackles
# 2 freshman in the nation total tackles

Stats in big games: Ohio u- 10 hits Mississippi State-11 hits Appalachian State- 12 hits Wofford -13 hits not to mention: 16 hits vs VMI and 17 vs Liberty.

bobcatalum05
December 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM

OT Kevin Uhll -- Delware
OG ?????
OG ?????

DL ?????

xcoffeex

I think you missed another Texas State player. Marcus Clark is also listed under the LB's.

JmuSkinsfan
December 20th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I just looked up Yancey's stats and they weren't as good as I had thought. He only had 665 yards on 103 carries and 8 Tds. Averaged 6.3 YPC...

He split carries with Bolton most of the season and both essentially played second fiddle to Landers. Either way he had a great season and figured it would be worth mentioning...

AshevilleApp
December 21st, 2007, 06:52 AM
DJ Smith's Stats: 121 Tackles, 2 Interceptions, 11 Pass Break-Ups, 5.5 TFLs.