PDA

View Full Version : Pirates get National Exposure

Menudo
December 18th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Pirates get national exposure
ESPN to feature the HU football program on a show about NCAA athletics.
By MARTY O'BRIEN | 247-4963
December 18, 2007

HAMPTON - — Santa Claus and ESPN brought Hampton University a much-appreciated present, just in time for the recruiting season: national exposure. The football program will be featured this month in a segment of the "NCAA On Campus" television program.

The show airs five times this month, beginning at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday on ESPN Classic. It will air four times on ESPNU, with the first set for 2:30 p.m. Friday.

ESPN followed the Pirates as they prepared for their game in November against Southern Illinois. Hampton coach Joe Taylor is the primary focus of the segment.

But ESPN also airs game highlights, player interviews and the football team's gospel choir. Taylor found it hilarious that the gospel choir is featured immediately before a segment on Harvard fullback Noah Van Niel, who is an accomplished opera singer.

"About five of our 40 guys can sing and the other 35 hum real well," Taylor said. "But the choir has brought about a spirit and team unity."

The school already is using the On Campus segment as a recruiting tool.

Defensive back John Carter of Feather River College — a two-year school in California — visited HU last weekend.

He said that he and the other seven players considering transfers to Hampton viewed an advance copy of the show.

"It told me everything about Hampton and I found it entertaining," he said. "It had a slight influence on my decision to commit to Hampton.

"After watching it, I called my friends back home and told them that Hampton University is more than just about football."

HU football on ESPN show
ESPN will feature Hampton University's football program five times this month on its "NCAA On Campus" program. The show airs on the following dates:

• 12:30 p.m. Wednesday on ESPN Classic

• 2:30 p.m. Friday on ESPNU

• 5:30 a.m. Sunday on ESPNU

• 3 p.m. Dec. 26 on ESPNU

• 9:30 p.m. Dec. 27 on ESPNU

slostang
December 18th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Always nice to get free pub.

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Sweet deal for HU! xthumbsupx