PDA

View Full Version : MEAC Expansion?

WestCoastAggie
January 30th, 2024, 11:32 AM
And no, A&T is not involved. At least for now...

Right now, rumors are beginning to bubble up that the MEAC will be inviting Morehouse and Tuskegee to join the conference.

Both schools have a rich academic history and history playing Howard in multiple sports for decades now.

https://youtu.be/hDR3u5o-0mU?si=YWnahd1PdRokgmnp

caribbeanhen
January 30th, 2024, 02:38 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Airmen

So many Hero’s

DFW HOYA
January 30th, 2024, 03:37 PM
Morehouse enrollment: 2,260.

Athletic budget (2020): $5.1 million.

clenz
January 30th, 2024, 03:44 PM
I normally disagree when the Dakota fans (mostly, but also Montana and a few others at times) talk about the FCS becoming watered down and a shell....I'm getting close to joining them.

Morehouse's numbers posted by DFW and this is their stadium

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/B._T._Harvey_Stadium%2C_Morehouse_College.jpg/1200px-B._T._Harvey_Stadium%2C_Morehouse_College.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FKiBrNLWUAE1WVg.jpg:large

Then Tuskegee has an enrollment of 3,000 and an athletic budget of 4.1 million
https://goldentigersports.com/images/2022/2/4/Cleve_L_Abbott_Memorial_Stadium.png?width=1128&height=635&mode=crop

https://goldentigersports.com/images/2022/10/19/DJI_0038.jpg?width=1024&height=575

Also puts us over 130 FCS schools again and the newer and newer the additions the smaller and smaller the schools, lower and lower the budgets, smaller and smaller fan base bases/alumni to draw.

Hope being the MEAC is great for them in terms of enrollment and engagement though. We all need it at this level.

DFW HOYA
January 30th, 2024, 04:08 PM
I normally disagree when the Dakota fans (mostly, but also Montana and a few others at times) talk about the FCS becoming watered down and a shell....I'm getting close to joining them.

The risk is that costs go up significantly in Div. I -- coaching, insurance, travel, staffs, scholarships, etc.-- and DII schools can struggle as a result without the backstop of state funding.

WestCoastAggie
January 30th, 2024, 04:17 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/B._T._Harvey_Stadium%2C_Morehouse_College.jpg/1200px-B._T._Harvey_Stadium%2C_Morehouse_College.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FKiBrNLWUAE1WVg.jpg:large

https://goldentigersports.com/images/2022/2/4/Cleve_L_Abbott_Memorial_Stadium.png?width=1128&height=635&mode=crop

https://goldentigersports.com/images/2022/10/19/DJI_0038.jpg?width=1024&height=575

I need for you to stop applying common damn sense to these shenanigans.

From what I've heard, both institutions have the money for such a move and will FINALLY provide the resources to Athletics to make that happen. Not sure what that means but hey. I'm here for the circus of my Alma Mater's former conference.

clenz
January 30th, 2024, 04:18 PM
The risk is that costs go up significantly in Div. I -- coaching, insurance, travel, staffs, scholarships, etc.-- and DII schools can struggle as a result without the backstop of state funding.
Morehouse is private, are they not? There isn't much/any state funding.

They are going to have to double, minimum, their budgets but that still leaves both of them sub-12, which is still bottom 10% of D1 football schools IIRC. All that extra costs and is there another 7m laying around in revnue just waiting for them to have FCS and not D2 next to their name?

Also from a football competitiveness standpoint

Massey ratings for last season
Tuskegee was 118
Morehouse was 154 (1-9)

out of 164

WestCoastAggie
January 30th, 2024, 04:21 PM
Morehouse is private, are they not? There isn't much/any state funding.

They are going to have to double, minimum, their budgets but that still leaves both of them sub-12, which is still bottom 10% of D1 football schools IIRC. All that extra costs and is there another 7m laying around in revnue just waiting for them to have FCS and not D2 next to their name?

Also from a football competitiveness standpoint

Massey ratings for last season
Tuskegee was 118
Morehouse was 154 (1-9)

out of 164

My best guess, they're going to pull the money out of thin air or their endowment.

OhioHen
January 30th, 2024, 04:21 PM
If the goal is to raise the academic profile of the conference, job well done. Athletically? No comment because my overall knowledge of the sports teams at the two schools is insufficient to provide substance.

KPSUL
January 30th, 2024, 04:24 PM
I'd like to see the MEAC grow annd survive, but not these two schools.

Division 3 facilities and athletic budgets. Too big a jump for both programs.

taper
January 30th, 2024, 04:32 PM
Any D2 looking to jump *really* needs to wait for House v NCAA to finish in the courts. Pay for play is inevitable, only question is what form it takes. D1 costs may rise significantly.

DFW HOYA
January 30th, 2024, 04:49 PM
Any D2 looking to jump *really* needs to wait for House v NCAA to finish in the courts. Pay for play is inevitable, only question is what form it takes. D1 costs may rise significantly.

Doesn't this depend on the conference? The Ivy League wouldn't have to pay anyone, while other FCS conferences lack the revenues to even justify it. The annual TV contract for Patriot League football is $100,000.

https://hbcumoney.com/2022/09/12/the-2019-2020-swac-meac-athletic-financial-review/

WestCoastAggie
January 30th, 2024, 04:56 PM
Doesn't this depend on the conference? The Ivy League wouldn't have to pay anyone, while other FCS conferences lack the revenues to even justify it. The annual TV contract for Patriot League football is $100,000.

https://hbcumoney.com/2022/09/12/the-2019-2020-swac-meac-athletic-financial-review/

You'll have to speak to the scamm.... I mean TV Executives that are pushing the MEAC to send these invites and for Morehouse and Tuskegee to accept them.

taper
January 30th, 2024, 05:04 PM

We won't know until the court case is done, but you can put me on record saying I really doubt anyone can stay in D1 without paying players. Your media deal will not matter at all. I agree a lot of schools can't justify the costs.

Go...gate
January 30th, 2024, 06:54 PM
If the goal is to raise the academic profile of the conference, job well done. Athletically? No comment because my overall knowledge of the sports teams at the two schools is insufficient to provide substance.

I like the idea. xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
January 30th, 2024, 07:53 PM
We won't know until the court case is done, but you can put me on record saying I really doubt anyone can stay in D1 without paying players. Your media deal will not matter at all. I agree a lot of schools can't justify the costs.

I don't understand. Why would "anyone" not be able to stay?

WestCoastAggie
January 30th, 2024, 09:00 PM
So according to a Twitter Spaces I was in, this is very legit with people seemingly in the know saying Morehouse completed a feasibility study. Therefore, they know how much they'll need to chip in to Athletics in order to make it work.

Tuskegee too, though they're a little further behind than Morehouse at the moment. Both schools have some of the largest endowments of any HBCU and will be likely willing to dip into that to pay for this.

Lastly, the MEAC has a media rights deal coming up and according to them, adding the Atlanta Market would almost certainly double the amount of money they could, would, and should get. Oh, and someone said Hampton AD's put out a press release saying they "are committed to the CAA," although I could not find said press release yet.

I don't know if people are living in LaLa land or what but it was comedy.

xlolx

VandalBasher
January 30th, 2024, 09:48 PM
I am happy they are making the move. I wish there was another "west coast" FCS conference. Part of that wish is for the Big West to bring back football with Long Beach State, Northridge, Pacific and Irvine. There are a couple of Big Sky teams that could split off to help add to this conference.

caribbeanhen
January 31st, 2024, 06:09 AM
I need for you to stop applying common damn sense to these shenanigans.

From what I've heard, both institutions have the money for such a move and will FINALLY provide the resources to Athletics to make that happen. Not sure what that means but hey. I'm here for the circus of my Alma Mater's former conference.

This sounds a lot like there goes the neighborhood talk

taper
January 31st, 2024, 08:04 AM
I don't understand. Why would "anyone" not be able to stay?
If/when the courts rule D1 athletes are employees of the school, the school MUST pay them. If a school can't or won't, they'll be forced to drop out of D1, possibly out of NCAA completely.

Sir William
January 31st, 2024, 08:54 AM
Morehouse and Tuskegee joining the MEAC is a non-event when it comes to FCS football. In fact, the MEAC itself has become generally irrelevant when it comes to FCS football. NC A&T and Hampton were smart to get out when they did. If NC Central and/or SC State have the opportunity (conference invitation) at some point, they would be wise get out too...unless the goal is simply to compete in the Celebration Bowl. (And BTW, I was very glad to see NCCU participate in the FCS playoffs this year.)

Happy for Morehouse and Tuskegee. (yawn)

ElCid
January 31st, 2024, 09:26 AM
If/when the courts rule D1 athletes are employees of the school, the school MUST pay them. If a school can't or won't, they'll be forced to drop out of D1, possibly out of NCAA completely.

And that's why it won't, can't happen. Not sure why you are so supportive of this path and seemingly are always a cheerleader for it. It's hard for normal people to understand how anyone can see athletes and college sports as anything other than an extracurricular activity. Anything else is just a money grab by the various parties pushing for it. As I've said previously, if that's the route some people want to go, fine. Eliminate all scholarships and then charge full cost of attendance to anyone who wants to be an "employee." And if athletes are employees, then you should also agree that the cheerleaders and the band are also employees and deserve a cut of the pie. They should be just as legally entitled. They are part of the event. Right?

Sitting Bull
January 31st, 2024, 09:42 AM

Tresolini talk

aceinthehole
January 31st, 2024, 09:50 AM
Morehouse and Tuskegee joining the MEAC is a non-event when it comes to FCS football. In fact, the MEAC itself has become generally irrelevant when it comes to FCS football. NC A&T and Hampton were smart to get out when they did. If NC Central and/or SC State have the opportunity (conference invitation) at some point, they would be wise get out too...unless the goal is simply to compete in the Celebration Bowl. (And BTW, I was very glad to see NCCU participate in the FCS playoffs this year.)

Happy for Morehouse and Tuskegee. (yawn)

Delaware State and Morgan State had an invite out (to the NEC) and did not take it - why?

Howard had invited to the CAA and NEC and stayed out. I think they are holding this group together and everyone seems satisfied with that status quo.

You could basically split the MEAC schools between the NEC and Big South, but no one seems willing to leave yet. Only schools in big trouble would be UMES and Coppin State.

taper
January 31st, 2024, 09:59 AM
And that's why it won't, can't happen. Not sure why you are so supportive of this path and seemingly are always a cheerleader for it. It's hard for normal people to understand how anyone can see athletes and college sports as anything other than an extracurricular activity. Anything else is just a money grab by the various parties pushing for it. As I've said previously, if that's the route some people want to go, fine. Eliminate all scholarships and then charge full cost of attendance to anyone who wants to be an "employee." And if athletes are employees, then you should also agree that the cheerleaders and the band are also employees and deserve a cut of the pie. They should be just as legally entitled. They are part of the event. Right?
Please don't confuse my recognition of the inevitable as support for it. Simple truth is Power teams drive the bus and they haven't been amateur for a long time. It absolutely is going to happen, no matter what the fans want. You can either start planning on how to deal with it or wait for problems to find you.
Funny enough, I was paid when I was in the band. Was also paid when I was a TA.

WestCoastAggie
January 31st, 2024, 10:16 AM
Delaware State and Morgan State had an invite out (to the NEC) and did not take it - why?

Howard had invited to the CAA and NEC and stayed out. I think they are holding this group together and everyone seems satisfied with that status quo.

You could basically split the MEAC schools between the NEC and Big South, but no one seems willing to leave yet. Only schools in big trouble would be UMES and Coppin State.

Why? No one wanted to be the final shot to end a Black institution. And specifically with Howard, they were going to accept that invite until sources within the university leaked info to HBCU Gameday.

And regarding Morehouse and Tuskegee, they are pushing very hard for their Private "Black Ivy" HBCUs to join them. It's more of an elite status symbol with the most prestigious HBCUs with the highest endowments together academically and athletically in a conference.

There's also some pushing for Hampton to return and join their Black Elite brethren.

But the current reality is that Morehouse is frankly barely footing the bill for their athletic teams currently. So for those that are saying that they do have the money, why not actually start putting to good use for your current student athletes and do things such as hire a strength and conditioning coach and upgrade your facilities instead of waiting to move to the MEAC and spend $1 million as part of a D1 transition?

WestCoastAggie
January 31st, 2024, 10:21 AM

LOL. I see why you're (jokingly) saying this. But thing is that even Hampton, whose experiencing bad luck with football and basketball, is upgrading facilities and A&T is embarking on a $100 million dollar Athletics Capital campaign (currently in the prospect phase).

With Morehouse, the coach they just fired has said that they didn't even have a S&C coach let alone scholarships. Are we sure that this money for D1 wouldn't be better served giving their current D2 student athletes a better experience and a smaller tuition and fees bill?

caribbeanhen
January 31st, 2024, 10:44 AM
LOL. I see why you're (jokingly) saying this. But thing is that even Hampton, whose experiencing bad luck with football and basketball, is upgrading facilities and A&T is embarking on a $100 million dollar Athletics Capital campaign (currently in the prospect phase).

With Morehouse, the coach they just fired has said that they didn't even have a S&C coach let alone scholarships. Are we sure that this money for D1 wouldn't be better served giving their current D2 student athletes a better experience and a smaller tuition and fees bill?

I put my reputation (not always a good one) on the line on gohens by telling everybody that North Carolina A&T and Hampton should not be used in the same sentence when talking football. They didn’t believe me then and they will never believe me now. This is the general mindset …. Not that makes any difference at this point

wrote: ↑ (http://www.gohens.net/boards/viewtopic.php?p=439352#p439352)
Hengrad07 (http://www.gohens.net/boards/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=27484) wrote: ↑ (http://www.gohens.net/boards/viewtopic.php?p=439350#p439350)Did CR or DA vote for NC A&T to enter the CAA?I don't know, but it doesn't matter now. Hampton was the biggest failed addition, by far. Blame it all on Joey.From what I saw the other night, and in the fall, NC A&T has no business being in the CAA.

Go...gate
January 31st, 2024, 01:08 PM

Well said.

OhioHen
February 1st, 2024, 12:26 PM
And that's why it won't, can't happen. Not sure why you are so supportive of this path and seemingly are always a cheerleader for it. It's hard for normal people to understand how anyone can see athletes and college sports as anything other than an extracurricular activity. Anything else is just a money grab by the various parties pushing for it. As I've said previously, if that's the route some people want to go, fine. Eliminate all scholarships and then charge full cost of attendance to anyone who wants to be an "employee." And if athletes are employees, then you should also agree that the cheerleaders and the band are also employees and deserve a cut of the pie. They should be just as legally entitled. They are part of the event. Right?At many (most?) institutions, employees receive free or discounted tuition for themselves and their dependents.

KnightoftheRedFlash
February 1st, 2024, 03:37 PM

The NEC is the Catholic version of the MEAC.

Why would two black colleges leave a HBCU conference for that?

aceinthehole
February 1st, 2024, 03:54 PM
The NEC is the Catholic version of the MEAC.

Why would two black colleges leave a HBCU conference for that?

:)