PDA

View Full Version : It's Rizzi!

Brad82
December 17th, 2007, 09:16 PM
We have our man @ Rhody!!

WildCat In The Hat
December 17th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Nice..they hired Coach Nicholls?? JK-and I didn't take you up on that bet.
Good luck to Rhody this year.

xpeacex

Cobblestone
December 18th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Not a bad hire. Especially when you consider the crop we had to choose from.

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_fbc_uri18_12-18-07_FL8A02D_v10.2546fdd.html

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 18th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Good luck URI.

Looking froward to my trip down there next year.xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
December 18th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Good luck URI.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=yorkcountyUNHfan;805256]Good luck URI. xrulesx

Cobblestone
December 18th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Good luck URI.
Looking forward to my trip down there next year.xthumbsupx

So am I.

http://www.tuckermanbrewing.com/Images/bottles.jpg xrulesx

andy7171
December 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Hey I played against that guy! He tore up our defense in 91 and 92, but then again, everyone did. xnonono2x

dgreco
December 18th, 2007, 08:43 AM
http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_fbc_uri18_12-18-07_FL8A02D_v10.2546fdd.html

Tribe4SF
December 18th, 2007, 07:00 PM
So is Rizzi likely to stick with the option offense?

Brad82
December 18th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Tribe-are you kiddding?

Tribe4SF
December 19th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Tribe-are you kiddding?

No, I'm not kidding. Rizzi was reportedly "vague" about his offensive scheme in the press conference, and it was noted that Stowers spread was not his style. He noted the need to throw more. It's always been my opinion that URI's offense created recruiting challenges.

UDBlueLotFan
December 19th, 2007, 07:19 AM
"will probably divide his time between Rutgers and URI until the Scarlet Knights wrap up their appearance in the International Bowl on Jan. 5 in Toronto against Ball State".

International Bowl...give me a break xrolleyesx 110% of his time should be focused in Rhody. He has no time waste because the last time I looked, the CAA wasn't getting any easierxreadx

Hoyadestroya85
December 19th, 2007, 07:20 AM
The North division is beginning to...

Cobblestone
December 19th, 2007, 08:04 AM
In the words of Bruce Springsteen "These are better days". With 5 kids, he better be successful.

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_fbc_uriftb19a_12-19-07_QP8AFU2_v12.27dff55.html

bamamountaineer1013
December 19th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Good Luck URI

Cobblestone
December 19th, 2007, 08:21 AM
No, I'm not kidding. Rizzi was reportedly "vague" about his offensive scheme in the press conference, and it was noted that Stowers spread was not his style. He noted the need to throw more. It's always been my opinion that URI's offense created recruiting challenges.

Very valid opinion. A few of those challenges were QB and WR. If you were a QB you probably wouldn't want to come to URI for two reasons. Number one, with the Stowers type of offense you'd get banged up so badly that you most likely would never play an entire season. The two QB's we had under Stowers were Jayson Davis and Derek Cassidy, neither finished a full season without missing a game or two with an injury. As I stated before, in the Stowers offense the QB literally takes more of a beating than the OL do. Number 2, QBs also like to pass. Well, with the offense Stowers ran the QB got to do VERY little of that.

If you're a WR you wouldn't even give URI a sniff. If you were lucky you'd get maybe two passes a game thrown your way. Although we did throw more to Shaun Leonard as last season went on but it was too little too late. I saw many 3rd and 6 situations when we'd either run FB Joe Casey up the middle or pitch the ball back to one of our RB's.

The Stowers offense almost put me on blood pressure medication. I'm sure Rizzi will have a much more balanced attack. When Floyd Keith was our coach he did a good job of recruiting a couple of good WR's, namely Bobby Apgar and Cy Butler. We had a good passing game in those days and I see no reason why we can't go back to that. R.I. does not get that cold until mid November, in fact the September games are usually quite warm, sometimes hot. I see no reason why we cannot execute a west coast style offense. Some adjustments would have to be made by mid November but by then we only have a game or two left.

What I am really looking for from Rizzi is stability on the defensive side of the ball. Stowers went through too many defensive coordinators. It seemed like every season our defense guys were learning a new system with a new DC and position coaches as well. Needless to say this problem showed itself on the scoreboard.

I'm optimistic about this hire. With a football oriented A.D. and a former URI player as a coach I think we'll be contending in a few years.

Tim James
December 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM
This part here caught me eye:

Without mentioning names, there are a lot of schools in this conference that I don’t think have as much to sell as this university has to sell that are doing quite well for themselves. Five teams went to the playoffs. Why can’t that be us? On Friday night at a recruiting dinner at Rutgers all I could do was keep my eyes glued to the television set as Delaware was playing Appalachian State. Why can’t that be us?

He didnt mention names but who do you think he's refering to ? UNH is probably one of them.

Also I understand that he wants to aim for the top but he says why cant we be Delaware or App St. ?

Hmmm maybe because Delaware is a football school and URI is a basketball school thats why. App St. are in another universive.

I know he's got to be enthusiastic but perhaps he should be more realistic.

Bos8
December 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Another problem that hasn't been noted yet with the triple option... we have a very weak pass blocking offensive line. Offensive lines that block for the triple option are typically much smaller than a regular offensive line, as they have to be more athletic to get down the field and make blocks for the running backs. Some of our offensive line didn't even come in as lineman. One of our captians, Damien Gresko came in as a linebacker, but was moved to offensive line. Weighing in at 250lbs, he is undersized for a lineman. It was tough to pass because teams were constantly getting pressure on our QBs. On a related note, I wonder if our old coach's son, T.J. Stowers is going to remain on the team.
Rizzi does have some talent on the offensive side of the ball. Joe Casey is the best FB in the league, and has the ability to run, block and catch the ball out of the backfield. We have two good running backs in Jimmy Hughes and Tim Allen. Stefkovic has a good arm, and is fairly mobile. He was a two star QB on Rivals, and started the game against Umass. I would like to see him get more time at QB. Shawn Leonard is an above average receiver, and is very athletic. He is also a member of the schools track team. Tolbert Evans is our other WR, who has good size and decent speed.

Minuteman87
December 19th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Best of luck to the Rams and your new coach (except when you play UMass!).

As for your post Bos8, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I would think Rizzi will need to totally overhaul the roster, especially on offense, which has been built for the triple option. He needs bigger linemen and a QB who doesn't look to run first and WRs who expect the ball thrown their way more than 2 or 3 times a game. I might expect another year or two of struggles before things turn. I may be wrong. Would be nice to see URI among the conference elite again. I think a conference is much stronger when there is an ebb and flow of power, teams up and down the standings from year to year.

I know he's got to be enthusiastic but perhaps he should be more realistic.
As for you Tim James, what would you rather he say? "I just hope to break .500" ????
There's no reason he shouldn't aim for the top. URI has been a power and a playoff team in the past and could be again. He's right, he has a lot to sell at URI. Not sure if he necessarily has more than other CAA schools, but he certainly has some different things to sell.

When Mark Whipple was hired to coach a UMass team coming off a 2-9 season, he said his goal was to win a national championship. People laughed. Well guess what ...

And yeah, URI (darn, that whole state) is basketball mad, but with a new AD who's a football guy maybe things will turn. A couple of 8 or 9 win seasons and playoff appearances and URI will not be thought of as strictly a basketball school any more.

See you in Amherst next fall!

Minuteman87
December 19th, 2007, 03:57 PM
If he taps the NJ recruiting pool URI will do just fine.

Brad82
December 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I still can't believe any one is serious about him running the "pitch" offense.
Why would they hire him then?

Brad82
December 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM
see p. 1.

Ram Ball
December 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I'm excited about the hire. I'd expect an overhaul of the roster as well, but we'll see. As Bos8 pointed out, there are some talented players on the current team that should help during the transition. I'm excited to see Joe Casey as a running back instead of as an A Back.

Best of luck to Coach Rizzi.

Bos8
December 20th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Will Casey be used as a Running back? I believe Rutgers used traditional sets like I-Form and Pro Set, with 2 backs in the back field. Hughes and Allen are also very good out of the back field, although Hughes could potentially play TE. Casey will be a very good third down back. Another big question is will Cassidy be given the starting QB spot? He has the worst arm in the league, but did look impressive against Army. We have a back up with a better arm in Stefkovic, and a back up who is suppose to have better legs in Terrence Glenn. It will be interesting to see if he will stick with Cassidy, and if he does, how long he will stay with him.
I know he will have to bring in a new offensive coordinator, but I wonder if he is keeping around any of the staff, such as the defensive coordinator. Hopefully he brings a few talented transfers with him. We do have some talent on the defensive side of the ball. I've noticed the past couple of years we seem to have at least 1 player who was suppose to go D-1. We have a linebacker Steve Weedon who was a 3 star player out of high school who was going to go to West Virigina, but went to a Juco instead. He will be a senior next year, and I expect big things from him. Our secondary has always been weak, and we are graduating our best player, CB Raji El-Amin, as well as other starting CB Ki'Aimeer Johnson. We also are graduating our starting SS, Adrian Owens, who I was never impressed with. Rizzi should be working right now on bringing in at least 1 CB who can come in and play right away.

WrenFGun
December 20th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Potentially Casey will be used like Brian Leonard was at Rutgers. They seem to me like similar players, considering their level.

As for the comment on UNH's area in recruiting, URI cannot compete with them because of UNH's penchant for success (recent) and the amount of people they've put in the pros over the last few years. Jonathan Williams and Aaron Brown were both on rosters late in preseason, and both Corey Graham and David Ball made rosters. Ricky Santos' legacy and four straight playoff seasons surely help, too.

With that said, UNH has poor facilities and a poor fanbase, though both are, hopefully, improving. If Toman can continue the legacy beyond Santos and Ball, then UNH football should thrive. I don't think fans think they have it beyond Santos. With that said, you're right, there is no reason URI cannot recruit some quality talent and be a good CAA team.

Cobblestone
December 20th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Some good posts in this thread. First, Bos8 I welcome you to AGS. I remember you from the Projo board, which I have been away from for years. I think you have too much talent and knowledge to hang with the clueless idiots on that board who think a Safety blitz is something that happens when their condom breaks.

You make some good points in your post. Personally, I like the way we utilize Casey right now. Allen has potential and I really like Hughes. Another back who impressed me last season was Anthony Ferrer who originally came to us as an LB. I think we have a strong backfield, these guys just need (and deserve) a coach who makes better play calls and utilizes them properly.

QB could be interesting next season. Cassidy was adequate and durable enough for the Stowers type of offense. However, I know Rizzi is going to want to throw more and Cassidy's arm is not the greatest. Rizzi may need to stick with him though because of his experience and the fact that he does a pretty good job of managing the game.

On defense, I just hope he hires a Defensive Coordinator who he sticks with and gives the guy total control on defense which is something Stowers didn't do. Then again, I was never impressed with the DC's who Stowers hired. True, our secondary is weak but at least with El-Amin back there, they had some moments of success. He'll need to replaced and I hope Rizzi can bring with him some DB's who are on the Rutgers depth chart.

All in all, Rizzi will need to bring in an entire staff of his own and a get a few Freshmen and Sophs to transfer in from Rutgers. I fully expect him to spend 2008 cleaning up after Stowers. In 2009 I would expect to see his staff, players and game plans fully implemented. 2010, I'm looking at a serious run at either the CAA championship or a playoff appearance.

Bos8
December 20th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I think it will be interesting to see if any players leave the program. Will a player like Terrence Glenn or John Butler realize that they wont see time at QB, and leave the program? Will run blocking offensive linemen leave to go to a school were their skillset is a better fit? By the end of the season, Stowers wasn't overly popular with the players, so I don't think we will see players upset with him being fired, and leaving the program.

I would be excited about the coaching change if I were Akil Chester. Looking at the roster, he is the only player listed as a TE. The spread offensive doesn't really utilize a tight end, but the Pro Sets that Rutgers used last year did. A couple of season's ago we brought in a Rutgers transfer named Tre Timbers, who was a CB. I think he was a 3 star cb coming out of high school who ran a 4.5 40. He didn't see much time in 2006, only making 3 tackles. He was suppose to be a senior this year, but for some reason wasn't on the team.

I'm curious as to why you said Cassidy does a good job managing the game? I don't know as much football as people on the board, but isn't the triple option offense based off the quarter back making a read. For example, on a 3 and 12 play, wouldn't the QB have the option to give it to the full back on a dive, keep it himself, or make the pitch to the B back? Wouldn't part of the problem with our 3rd down fullback dives be Cassidy handing the ball off to the full back. He also seemed to be indecisive when in the pocket, causing him to be sacked more than he should have been.

Brad82
December 20th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Ferrer @ FB.
Casey @ TB.
work in Hughes and Allen.

Cobblestone
December 20th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I'm curious as to why you said Cassidy does a good job managing the game?

I think he did a good enough job keeping his head in the game and for the most part hanging on to the ball enough to get us into the red zone and at times, himself into the end zone. Cassidy could manage the game good enough to be considered serviceable.

You've got to take into consideration the pounding and bell ringing the QB takes in that type of offense. Cassidy has some durability but is nowhere nearly as good or durable as Jayson Davis was. I got to know Jayson a little bit during his time at URI and it seemed like the kid was constantly limping and banged up. I think whoever our QB is next year, he will not miss the Stowers type of offense. If your buddy Stefkovich has the arm you say he has then look for him to be the starter. I see us passing much more. Perhaps Rizzi might bring a QB who is down on the depth chart with him from Rutgers?

Bos8
December 21st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Jayson Davis was a much better option quarterback than Cassidy because he was a threat to run the ball. Cassidy just isn't fast enough to break a big run to the outside. He is a tough kid, but he needs to be faster to have been successful in Stowers system.

Anyone that he takes with him from Rutgers will be accepted with open arms. We need help at basically every position on the field. Hopefully he can bring in a few solid recruits for 08.

Seawolf97
December 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM
This all sounds really positive for you guys . Glad to hear itxthumbsupx

GSU Eagle
December 21st, 2007, 08:02 PM
I know Stowers had a few old Ga. Southern coaches as his assistants. Did the new coach Rizzi retain any of them or has he jetisoned all of Stowers assistants?

Brad82
December 22nd, 2007, 06:40 AM
I hope and think maybe Chuck Watson has a shot to stay (he played there).

Brad82
December 22nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
yes,I like John also. I am biased on behalf of both.
Being part of old regime will not help them.
I think Chuck is part time and John is full time?
More ramifications perhaps for John if not retained?

Ram Ball
December 23rd, 2007, 07:18 PM
Any chance of Greg Wicks moving up on the depth chart at QB? I heard he has a very strong arm, but have never seen him play. Ferrer was a beast in that last game of the season (Northeastern?), plus he is a local kid. Will Casey even be healed and ready to play by the start of the season. I'm really excited about Rizzi..... and intrigued by the backup Iowa QB!

Brad82
December 24th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Greg Wicks is a good looking prospect. May have better chance as dropback passer than others.