PDA

View Full Version : Rank the all-time FCS/1-AA programs

Saint3333
December 17th, 2007, 08:24 PM
With the 3rd national championship does this change the rankings of FCS programs? By championships ASU now ranks third behind GSU & YSU, but trail in final appearances and semi-final appearances to a couple others.

Rank/team/wins/semis/finals/championship
1. GSU 38/10/8/6
2. YSU 25/7/6/4
3. Marshall 23/7/6/2 (in only 8 appearances)
4. Montana 24/8/5/2
5. ASU 20/5/3/3
6. EKU 16/5/4/2
7. Delaware 19/6/3/1
8. Furman 17/6/3/1
9. UMass 10/3/3/1
10. Boise St. 8/4/2/1

Note that Marshall (8 appearances) was given the nod over Montana (17 appearances), due to the difference in the time span of their respective accomplishment. I am NOT a Marshall fanxmadx.

HM: UNI 16/6/1/0 - Best program without a NC.

appstate38
December 17th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Without being biased.... Those are all the teams I would expect to be on that list.

As far as UNI goes... Its only a matter of time before you guys get your 1st.

SuperEagle
December 17th, 2007, 08:47 PM
good list. can't really argue with anybody on there. would have loved to have seen Marshall stay in FCS. When they were at the top of their game they were handling us pretty good I must admit. But would have loved to have played them in the late 90's. Would have been some great games.

FCS Go!
December 17th, 2007, 09:03 PM
My personal rankings would exclude schools that are no longer FCS/I-AA and isn't as dependant on NC wins or appearances. I think I look at fanbase, stadiums, "tradition" and other intangibles:

In no particular order:

App. St.
Montana
McNeese St
Georgia Southern
Delaware
Youngstown St
Grambling

For me, App St is new to this list and wouldn't be there if they didn't make it to Chattanooga this year. In 2004 App St would have been no where in sight for my list.

Honorable mentions- N. Iowa, Furman and Southern.

Saint3333
December 17th, 2007, 09:14 PM
ASU wouldn't make your list after winning back to back titles, 14 playoff appearances, 16 wins, 4 semifinal appearances, top 20 in attendance since 1985, averaging 22K+ for two straight years.

ASU had an excellent tradition prior to the 3 peat, ever been to a "Black Saturday" (started in the mid-80's).

Why throw out one of the most dominant 1-AA programs Marshall? While they were in 1-AA they were an amazing program with wins, fansbase, stadium and the intangible you speak of.

ERASU2113
December 17th, 2007, 09:47 PM
For me, App St is new to this list and wouldn't be there if they didn't make it to Chattanooga this year. In 2004 App St would have been no where in sight for my list.

You're basing that solely on the NCs aren't you? Before '05 the program was still a strong program. 14 times in the playoffs, 4 semifinals, one play away from the NC in 2000, Top 20 in attendance for a number of years plus averaging 20k+ over the last two.

ASU has always been a strong program with it's up and down years like every other program. Are you basing your opinion on being more on a national stage with it's national titles?

I agree with the list of programs on here......once UNI wins the first they will immediately jump into the list.

Chi Panther
December 17th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Threads like this make me want to puke....I'm sure you can figure out why