PDA

View Full Version : ODU Gets Two More Commitments

Monarch History
December 17th, 2007, 05:29 PM
ODU received commitments from Charles Walls, an offensive lineman from Tallwood High School in Virginia Beach, and Carlos Davis Jr., a receiver from Friendly High School in Fort Washington, Md.

Walls had previously committed to Division I-A Kent State but said Sunday he was pulling out of that commitment. An offensive tackle, the 6' 2" 285 lb. recruit will play center at ODU.

He changed his mind after watching Delaware and Appalachian State in the Division I-AA national title game Friday night and visting ODU over the weekend. He stated that it was "obvious that the Colonial Athletic Association is the best overall conference in I-AA and that they get just as much media attention - maybe even more than the MAC.xthumbsupx

Davis is a 5-10, 165 lb. receiver with 4.51 speed in the 40-yard dash, caught 30 passes for 600 yards and 11 touchdowns this past season. He indicated that he had intended to visit Eastern Michigan, Hofstra and Delaware but was canceling those trips after visiting ODU. xnodx

This brings ODU's verbal commitments to four. Norfolk's Maury HS defensive back Ricky Nichols and VA Beach's Kellam HS defensive end Andrew Turner will join Walls and Davis on the team that will begin play in2009 and will play a full CAA slate in 2011. :)

http://hamptonroads.com/2007/12/lineman%2C-receiver-say-they%2526%2523039%3Bll-sign-odu-football

Seawolf97
December 17th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I think thats great! Maybe we will show up on one anothers schedule down the road as a non conference game.

Seawolf97
December 17th, 2007, 07:50 PM
who is ODU ?

Old Dominion University future home will be the CAA . Brand new FCS teamxnodx

Seawolf97
December 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM
OK i got it, this must be there 1st year coming up?

They will field a team in 2009-be full CAA in football in 2011 I believe. I beleive they had football at one time but disbanded the team.

ERASU2113
December 17th, 2007, 07:55 PM
They will field a team in 2009-be full CAA in football in 2011 I believe. I beleive they had football at one time but disbanded the team.

2009 first year ever or bringing back a program?

Either way congrats on the recruits ODU, and welcome to the FCS :D. Good luck in the CAA down the road. xthumbsupx

Seawolf97
December 17th, 2007, 08:17 PM

Either way congrats on the recruits ODU, and welcome to the FCS :D. Good luck in the CAA down the road. xthumbsupx

Dont be surprised to see them on App. States schedule- they are in Virginia and they will be probably lining up games for 2009 and 2010 and beyond.

ERASU2113
December 17th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Dont be surprised to see them on App. States schedule- they are in Virginia and they will be probably lining up games for 2009 and 2010 and beyond.

Already had thought about it. Always seems to be a Va team on the schedule every other year or so.

brownbear
December 17th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Have they set up a schedule for 2009? I wonder who they'll play in the first few seasons.

Monarch Nation
December 18th, 2007, 06:50 AM

We had football from 1930-1940 as the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary. We still have the stadium (Foreman Field) from that era and are renovating it for modern football use (it has been used for field hockey and lax). Stadium capacity after renovation will be about 22,000, plus 24 luxury boxes which have all been sold.

FCS Preview
December 18th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Have they set up a schedule for 2009? I wonder who they'll play in the first few seasons.
I'm sure a lot of CAA schools will be on their schedule. For the CAA teams, it will fill an OOC game against a known opponent.

Eight Legger
December 18th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Gonna be interesting to see what ODU can do. I suspect they'll compete pretty well in football before too long. They'll only have to pull in a fraction of the immense talent in their own backyard to do that.

Also will be interesting longer-term to see what becomes of the fledgling program at George Mason and closer to us, whether VCU ever considers football. Those at the two largest schools in Virginia, so you'd figure one of them would go all-out for football eventually, though VCU's current president has said it will not happen under his watch. But I bet the next guy in there, whenever that is, will revisit things.

89Hen
December 18th, 2007, 10:10 AM
I'm sure a lot of CAA schools will be on their schedule. For the CAA teams, it will fill an OOC game against a known opponent.
xnodx I would expect they may also try to play some other Virginia schools (Hampton, Norfolk, VMI, Liberty, etc...) and probably should have a couple DII's. If I were at ODU, I'd be shooting for...

W&M
Richmond
JMU
Delaware
Towson
Norfolk
Hampton
VMI
Charleston Southern
Elizabeth City State
Christopher Newport

Monarch History
December 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=89Hen;805512]xnodx I would expect they may also try to play some other Virginia schools (Hampton, Norfolk, VMI, Liberty, etc...) and probably should have a couple DII's. If I were at ODU, I'd be shooting for...

W&M
Richmond
JMU
Delaware
Towson
Norfolk
Hampton
VMI
Charleston Southern
Elizabeth City State
Christopher Newport[/QUOTE

ODU's first class next year will be redshirted. The first year's schedule (2009) will probably be scattered with low ranked FCS schools and several Division II teams. You probably won't see us playing W&M, Richmond, JMU, Delaware, Norfolk State or Hampton in the first year. We will schedule games with the goal of playing a full CAA schedule in 2011.

The Hampton Roads Metropolitan Area (Norfolk, Chesapeake, VA Beach, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Hampton and Newport News) is excited about the prospects of watching players from the 757 area staying home. xrotatehx

I have no doubts that ODU's program will be successful. xnodx I attend several games a year at W&M and love to follow CAA football, but it will be great following my own team.

Look for us at your favorite stadium in several years.xthumbsupx