PDA

View Full Version : App State fans: which was the bigger win?

ncman071
August 5th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hipothetically speaking, if ASU fans had to choose between a W over UM or a national title, which would you choose and why?

personally i cant really give a good answer here. it would be nothing short of amazing to go to the big house and beat a team like Michigan. However, if we didn't win the national title this year, i cant necessarily say that this season is as successful as the previous two seasons with App. however, if we actually beat UM could you imagine the media attention we would get and the possible recruits it would sway. I will say this, if we somehow beat UM and at least make a run deep into the FCS playoffs, i would consider this season to be just as magical as the previous two imo.

GGASU
August 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM
If I had to choose I would take a win at Michigan over another title.

DuckDuckGriz
August 5th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Take a national title. If you lose to Michigan, even get blown out, everyone will forget about it within a week since Michigan is a top 10 BCS team. If you win the national title you are the proven best in the FCS. If you beat UM and don't win the national title everyone will go "yeah but you lost in the playoffs to Montana so that means Montana is better than Michigan." :D

SIUallDay
August 5th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Take a national title. If you lose to Michigan, even get blown out, everyone will forget about it within a week since Michigan is a top 10 BCS team. If you win the national title you are the proven best in the FCS. If you beat UM and don't win the national title everyone will go "yeah but you lost in the playoffs to Montana so that means Montana is better than Michigan." :D

but Michigan is an established BCS powerhouse and if you were to knock them off it would be HUGE, it would be a top story in sports especially if they go on to a major bowl game

SIU beat up on a Indiana team that beat an Hawkeyes team that smacked around Montana that beat SIU in the playoffs last year...xrotatehx

DuckDuckGriz
August 5th, 2007, 12:34 PM
but Michigan is an established BCS powerhouse and if you were to knock them off it would be HUGE, it would be a top story in sports especially if they go on to a major bowl game

SIU beat up on a Indiana team that beat an Hawkeyes team that smacked around Montana that beat SIU in the playoffs last year...xrotatehx

Yeah I agree you'd get national attention but that can only last for so long. A national title trophy in the trophy case lasts forever.

mistersykes
August 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Usually when an FCS team beats a high-profile FBS team, the main focus is on "how did Michigan let this happen?" rather than "Wow, App State must be really good!". Sure, recruiting will benefit, but it will also benefit with a third straight national championship. Doing something as unprecedented as a three-peat will be on another level.

OL FU
August 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
It is a good thing that there are no "reality" requirements for threadsxsmiley_wix

CSUBUCDAD
August 5th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I take the championship over any W over anyone, anytime.

ncman071
August 5th, 2007, 12:53 PM
reality? i'm sorry but a win over Michigan could possibly happen although i know its not probable, but a 3rd consecutive national title could easily happen for App this year. The biggest question for App this year is their Defensive Line. However, with Tim Washington from LSU thrown in the mix, our defensive line could be very solid.

OL FU
August 5th, 2007, 12:55 PM
reality? i'm sorry but a win over Michigan could possibly happen although i know its not probable, but a 3rd consecutive national title could easily happen for App this year. The biggest question for App this year is their Defensive Line. However, with Tim Washington from LSU thrown in the mix, our defensive line could be very solid.

I should have put the smiley face on the post as a joke.

The third championship is definitely doable ( I wouldn't say easily) . The probability of beating Michigan has a decimal way in front of any numbers larger than zero.

Any way it is fun to imaginexnodx

Grizaholic17
August 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I'd take the championship any day.

SIUallDay
August 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM
a 3rd ship EASILY? The target gets bigger and bigger every year there is nothing easy about having to try and doubt people every time you play...I don't think they will get it this year anyway

UNHWildCats
August 5th, 2007, 01:05 PM
i say a win at Michigan would be better. Nothing can beat knocking off a top BCS team.

Had they not won a National Championship yet I would say that, but no need being greedy :p

ucdtim17
August 5th, 2007, 01:18 PM
A win over michigan would be one of the all-time upsets in college football history. Another championship is ho-hum. It's not even close

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 5th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Michigan is ranked #2 in the BCS in a lot of polls.

Appy is ranked #1 in the FCS in almost every poll.

If the #1 FCS team beat out the #2 BCS team, it'd shake up a LOT of people. I'd rather see them beat out Michigan and give some serious credibility to our conference and division.

Ronbo
August 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
A win over Michigan would make App. State the talk of College football nationwide for years. Everyone in the Country (that's a football fan) would remember them as the David that knocked off Goliath even 20 years from now. The FCS Championship is hardly even known about outside of FCS circles.

grayghost06
I agree that it's not even close. You Apps have won back to back titles which pretty much cements you as a top 5 contender year in and year out. You've proven you can do what only Geo. Sounthern and Youngstown have accomplished. But 10 years from now, people will remember ASU beating a top 10 Michigan team. No FCS team has ever beaten a ranked FBS team...EVER! Would they really remember a 3rd consecutive National title?

ncman071
ok, i shouldn't have said App could "easily" win a 3rd straight NC, however, with the talent they have returning esp. offensively, it could very well happen.

poly51
August 5th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I would take the win over Michigan. An FCS team wins a National Championship every year. An FCS win over a top 5 FBS/BCS team would be unique.

Appguy
August 5th, 2007, 02:19 PM
id take win over Michigan...it would give App and FCS much more credibility and followers.
Im going to the game just for that small chance we win....
the games gotta be played

BDKJMU
August 5th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Take a national title. If you lose to Michigan, even get blown out, everyone will forget about it within a week since Michigan is a top 10 BCS team.:D

Make that a top 5 BCS team. Most/all of the preseason polls I've seen (USA Today, Street & Smith's, Athlon's, Lindy's) have Michigan in the top 5.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindexxcoffeex

BDKJMU
August 5th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Take a national title. If you lose to Michigan, even get blown out, everyone will forget about it within a week since Michigan is a top 10 BCS team.:D

Make that a top 5 BCS team. Most/all of the preseason polls I've seen (USA Today, Street & Smith's, Athlon's, Lindy's) have Michigan in the top 5.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

If ASU hadn't won the national title the last 2 years, I'd take the national title. After all, didn't ASU not have a national title prior? But since ASU has won the last 2 national titles, I'd take the win over UM- that would be the biggest in the history of IAA over IA, and would generate a lot more publicity than another national title. It almost be like college football's version of that movie Hoosiers with Gene Hackman. xcoffeex

Tailbone
August 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Either would be great, neither will happen.
App will lose their first and last games.....both to UM.

:D

crunifan
August 5th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I say beat Michigan. Your fanbase would increase by at least 100,000 when all the Ohio State/Michigan State fans watch the downfall of their hated arch-rival.

Seawolf97
August 5th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Go for the 3 PEAT!;) ;) ;)

da_Bison
August 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM
National title, no question about it. "If" you were to catch Michigan sleeping and were to sweak out a W and not win a National title EVERYONE would say the Michigan win was nothing but a Fluke. Because realistically if App brings there A game and Michigan brings there A game or even B game they beat you by 35. This is Michigan were talkin about here not North Carolina State Nobodies, remember that one??

laxVik
August 5th, 2007, 03:08 PM
So who will have a better showing at UM, Oregon or ASU? They both play there early in the season. UM will be prepared for UO, and not that they won't be against ASU, but there is an obvious chance they'll over look them.

appisgreatest
August 5th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I'd prefer the Michigan win. If they were somehow able to win that one AND win the national title again, I'd seriously be wondering when the move to the FBS would be.

Mountain Panther
August 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Take the NC....only GSU and YSU have won it more than twice.

GolfingGriz
August 5th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I'd prefer the Michigan win. If they were somehow able to win that one AND win the national title again, I'd seriously be wondering when the move to the FBS would be.

MSU thought the same thing last year, then Chadron State came to Bozeman.xrotatehx

appisgreatest
August 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Good point. App would need to make a string of 1-a victories to prove the win was more than a fluke

GreatAppSt
August 5th, 2007, 04:37 PM
IMHO, If Michigan were to lose to the two time defending National Champions. I don't think the, How badly did mich play or how in the heck could they lose to these guys cry, will be as loud. I think many people and media would say App should not have won, but after all the team Mich faced was championship caliber football team. xthumbsupx

HiHiYikas
August 5th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I'd take the national championship, since nobody's ever won 3 in a row. Shoot, I'd take a win in Greenville over a win in Ann Arbor, if I had to pick one or the other.

And honestly, I really don't want to see an extra 100,000 App fans out there, though the attention would be pretty cool at first.

I wouldn't mind all the extra attention if it meant that a guy like me - who has been going to Mountaineer games since he was old enough to walk, who is the third generation of ASU/ASTC grads in his family, who (like 6 generations of his forebears) grew up about 30 minutes from the sleepy little hamlet that used to be Boone, but who now lives and works for a minister's salary over 300 miles away - could easily get decent tickets, easily get a decent parking spot, and easily take his family to one or two games per year without dropping a couple hundred dollars.

this soapbox is making me a little light-headed.

bustingnut
August 5th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Can anyone imagine how hard it would be to schedule a 1-A after a win at Michigan?

james_lawfirm
August 5th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I pick a National Championship.

All I got to say to you fine ASU fans who picked a W over Mich. over winning another title is this:
WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING? All this blather about gaining respect is for goobers! We don't need anyone's respect, but our own.

The U.Mich. game is nothing but a pre-season game. To win it would be GREAT (and I will be there) (although I am concerned about a possible mental lapse then at LRC the next weekend), but everyone expects us to lose big. If we just play solid football for most of the game, we're doing better than the UM fans expect. It's just one game - go have fun. Coach Moore said something to the effect of it's like they're a 42 long, and we're a 30 regular. They have the advantage.

Fortunately, I am sure that Coach Moore has his priorities set like this: 1) Win the Southern Conference outright; 2) Win the Nat'l Championship; and 3) beat Michigan.

Also, I want to comment on all the posters who say we are "defending our NC title". If Coach Moore is wise, and I know he is, he will preach to his team (over and over) that ASU is defending nothing, rather, ASU is in search a title again this year. A subtle difference maybe, but it is much easier to psychologically go after a concrete goal than it is to defend one's past achievements.

AppStateold299
August 5th, 2007, 05:11 PM
It is by far more important to win another National Championship. I agree that a win at Michigan would be fantastic, but a short lived success. It would give us attention for a second or two, but a 3rd championship in a row is unprecidented. I want us to play close and tight, although I want the National Title more.

JohnStOnge
August 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM
If I had to choose I would take a win at Michigan over another title.

It might be different since ASU already has two national titles. I know that, as a McNeese fan that's seen the Cowboys get to the national title game twice and fall short both times, I'd rather have McNeese win the FCS national title than get a single win over a FBS power of the status Michigan has.

Of course, I also think winning a FCS national title is more probable than beating a Michigan assuming Michigan is up to its usual standards. No I-AA team ever beaten a top 25 I-A. Some came pretty close to some really top level major teams. Eastern Washington lost by only 21-19 in 2000 to an Oregon State team that finished ranked #5 in both major polls. As noted earlier, Georgia Southern had the lead about midway through the fourth quarter against a Florida State team that finished ranked #3 in both major polls in 1988.

But nobody's ever gotten it done.

phillyAPP
August 5th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I pick a National Championship.

All I got to say to you fine ASU fans who picked a W over Mich. over winning another title is this:
WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING? All this blather about gaining respect is for goobers! We don't need anyone's respect, but our own.

The U.Mich. game is nothing but a pre-season game. To win it would be GREAT (and I will be there) (although I am concerned about a possible mental lapse then at LRC the next weekend), but everyone expects us to lose big. If we just play solid football for most of the game, we're doing better than the UM fans expect. It's just one game - go have fun. Coach Moore said something to the effect of it's like they're a 42 long, and we're a 30 regular. They have the advantage.

Fortunately, I am sure that Coach Moore has his priorities set like this: 1) Win the Southern Conference outright; 2) Win the Nat'l Championship; and 3) beat Michigan.

Also, I want to comment on all the posters who say we are "defending our NC title". If Coach Moore is wise, and I know he is, he will preach to his team (over and over) that ASU is defending nothing, rather, ASU is in search a title again this year. A subtle difference maybe, but it is much easier to psychologically go after a concrete goal than it is to defend one's past achievements.

AMEN,
Enjoy the Michigan game.
WIN #3 National Champions and be the first to do it.

GO APPS Can we get this game started yet.
xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

Grizball
August 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Good point. App would need to make a string of 1-a victories to prove the win was more than a fluke

Right... and it would take a string of victories not only from ASU, but a few top FCS wins over FBS teams to garner more nat'l attention for this division. Those that think one win would do it... I have to say that I think you're wrong.

Grizaholic17
August 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I know we all like to dream, and this is a good topic, I like it a lot. But let's not forget...App. St. is not beating Michigan, and Youngstown St. is not beating Ohio State.

OHOWIHATEOHIOSTATE!

GOKATS
August 5th, 2007, 06:47 PM
It is a good thing that there are no "reality" requirements for threadsxsmiley_wix

xthumbsupx xbowx xbowx xbowx

elkmcc
August 5th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I know we all like to dream, and this is a good topic, I like it a lot. But let's not forget...App. St. is not beating Michigan, and Youngstown St. is not beating Ohio State.

OHOWIHATEOHIOSTATE!

..and a team other than App St. will be the winner of the CS National Championship game.xsmiley_wix

WUTNDITWAA
August 5th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Sorry guys, we're taking both!!!! xnodx xnodx xnodx

JohnStOnge
August 5th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I don't think beating Michigan is absolutely impossible. Very improbable, yes. But not impossible.

When App played LSU in 2004, the Mountaineers played well enough to have a shot to win if LSU would've done something like turn the ball over a lot. The Tigers didn't do that, but sometimes teams have those games where they do it.

GOKATS
August 5th, 2007, 07:07 PM
MSU thought the same thing last year, then Chadron State came to Bozeman.xrotatehx

Probably one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen. Yes, the 'Cats beat CU and we felt damn good about it. Noone was pounding on their chests that the 'Cats would win the NC (though we did make it to the second round losing to ASU at their place) and unlike the griz, the 'Cats don't spend every other thread on their fan/message board talking about moving to the FBS.

Sit on your putter very firmly and practice your 'waggle'.xazzx

Ronbo
August 5th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Lose to Michigan and you'll need to run the table again to get 3 home playoff games. They only seed 1 and 2 to zero and one loss teams generally. If a Gateway or CAA team goes 10-1 and App. State is 9-2 they will seed higher. Don't slip up even once like you and we did last year.xthumbsupx Griz fans talked about that last year, how we would need to run the table after the Iowa loss.

proasu89
August 5th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Lose to Michigan and you'll need to run the table again to get 3 home playoff games. They only seed 1 and 2 to zero and one loss teams generally. If a Gateway or CAA team goes 10-1 and App. State is 9-2 they will seed higher. Don't slip up even once like you and we did last year.xthumbsupx Griz fans talked about that last year, how we would need to run the table after the Iowa loss.

Ronbo, I believe we were the #2 seed in 05 with an 8-3 record. Losses to Kansas, LSU, and Furman. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Like I had to ask someone to correct me on this board.xlolx

WUTNDITWAA
August 5th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Ronbo, I believe we were the #2 seed in 05 with an 8-3 record. Losses to Kansas, LSU, and Furman. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Like I had to ask someone to correct me on this board.xlolx

You're correct.

james_lawfirm
August 5th, 2007, 08:47 PM

At the risk of fanning this thread into the Smack section, I just have to add:

OK, Montana fans, when your strength of schedule is a tough one, the playoff committee seems to take that into account. Thus, an 8 - 3 team with a tough schedule could very well be seeded over a 9 - 2 or 10 - 1 or even 11 - 0 (Hampton), playing cupcake schedules.

The Cats
August 5th, 2007, 09:32 PM
i dont believe either is going to happen.

I think that's safe to say.

Ronbo
August 5th, 2007, 10:20 PM

2005, way down year, weakest field in the history of the playoffs probably. How many 1 loss teams were there??????? Two. Hampton, haha, and New Hampshire. Was New Hampshire the #1 seed at 10-1?

Boy that was a pretty weak field with mostly 3 loss teams in it. This year if you have two losses and there are two teams from any of the top Conferences with only one loss you will not get a top 2 seed.

SoCon48
August 5th, 2007, 10:23 PM

Which says a lot about the sometimes stupidity of the selection process. If App can't beat Michigan this year, I seriously doubt anyone else in the FCS could!! Thus App shouldn't be penalized for something that no one else could do either.xrolleyesx

Ronbo
August 5th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Which says a lot about the sometimes stupidity of the selection process. If App can't beat Michigan this year, I seriously doubt anyone else in the FCS could!! Thus App shouldn't be penalized for something that no one else could do either.xrolleyesx

They will though, it's the way it works. A 10-1 UNI or McNeese State will trump a 9-2 App. State I don't care who you played. It's the way of the seeding voters. Now Hampton is another story. They go 11-0 and they might not get a top 2 seed.

2007 seems to be lining up as a very strong year in comparison to 2005. Way stronger. I would bet there are 6 teams capable of going 10-1 this year.

BEAR
August 5th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Shouldn't this topic be on the App. boards? or in the smack thread? xconfusedx I don't see either happening..xlolx

Ronbo
August 5th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Montana, as strong a reputation as we have and as well as we draw, have never gotten a top two seed with 2 losses. A 3 seed or 4 seed but never a top 2. The years we got top 2 seeds we were 10-1, 11-1, or 12-0.

Last year after our loss to Big Ten Iowa we all knew we had to run the table to get a top 2 seed.

GolfingGriz
August 6th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Probably one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen. Yes, the 'Cats beat CU and we felt damn good about it. Noone was pounding on their chests that the 'Cats would win the NC (though we did make it to the second round losing to ASU at their place) and unlike the griz, the 'Cats don't spend every other thread on their fan/message board talking about moving to the FBS.

Sit on your putter very firmly and practice your 'waggle'.xazzx

When the final score of 35-24 was announced at the griz game against SDSU you could practically here bobcat nation deflating from 300 miles away. I've never seen a group of people so cocky one week and then so reserved the next. That was the point of my post.;)

GolfingGriz
August 6th, 2007, 12:17 AM

It depends on how they play against Michigan. If they have a strong showing like they did against LSU in 05, they shouldn't slip. If they get blown out completely they'll slip. I think they'll represent the FCS well and not slip. They won't win, but they will surprise some Michigan fans.

bluehenbillk
August 6th, 2007, 06:55 AM
With all the incessant talk from App fans about how they'll beat or take Michigan deep into the game, if the game isn't real close how far should they drop in the polls???

WUTNDITWAA
August 6th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Shouldn't this topic be on the App. boards? or in the smack thread? xconfusedx I don't see either happening..xlolx

Hey, it could be another NDU/NDSU thread.xrotatehx

andy7171
August 6th, 2007, 07:42 AM
I'll take the NC, three-peat or not, over a win over Michigan or any other FBS team for that matter. If you beat them you won't get the credit for it. The outcome out of an upset of that proportion will be people asking how Michigan could lose to a team like ASU. No one would give you guys credit for playing them tough and beating them.

james_lawfirm
August 6th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I'll take the NC, three-peat or not, over a win over Michigan or any other FBS team for that matter. If you beat them you won't get the credit for it. The outcome out of an upset of that proportion will be people asking how Michigan could lose to a team like ASU. No one would give you guys credit for playing them tough and beating them.

Agreed.

APPSTER
August 6th, 2007, 10:14 AM
You have to take the 3-peat, even though it would probably be the biggest upset in the history of I-AA vs. I-A. No college football team would be favored to beat Michigan at The Big House on Sept 1. It would take such an improbable amount of bad luck for Michigan (fumbles, injuries, picks) and good luck for The Apps for an upset to happen. As fun as it might be to win....the aftergame midfield celebration in Chatty is the ultimate thrill for a FCS fan. Those who have been there understand. No win over a FBS school comes close to that.

AZGrizFan
August 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Jesus. No *****. xsmhx

trusty
August 6th, 2007, 11:21 AM
xboringx xboringx xboringx xboringx xdeadhorsex

AZGrizFan
August 6th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Ironically, most Bobcat fans would tell you they'd rather have a win over a different UM than a national title as well....it truly is all they have to look forward to. xeyebrowx :D

CrazyCat
August 6th, 2007, 11:32 AM
xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xpeacex

ucdtim17
August 6th, 2007, 12:06 PM

I don't think that argument carries any water here. Who cares if people would say Michigan choked? It would be one of the all-time great upsets in college football history. Of course ASU would get some credit (and 10% of the credit for a win of this magnitude is about 10 times as much as an FCS championship). You'd have to be stupid not to want to be a part of that. Someone wins an FCS championship every year and (on the whole) no one cares. The voluntary FCS blinders/tunnel vision a lot of people have here is ridiculous

No_Skill
August 6th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I don't think that argument carries any water here. Who cares if people would say Michigan choked? It would be one of the all-time great upsets in college football history. Of course ASU would get some credit (and 10% of the credit for a win of this magnitude is about 10 times as much as an FCS championship). You'd have to be stupid not to want to be a part of that. Someone wins an FCS championship every year and (on the whole) no one cares. The voluntary FCS blinders/tunnel vision a lot of people have here is ridiculous

I'm with you on this one Tim. xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
August 6th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I'll take both! The threepeat + the win over a top 5 BCS team + extending the current win streak to 29 + extending the home win streak to at least 33 (more likely 36) + extending the FCS win streak to 34 + add another class of seniors who never lost at home. That sounds great to me. xnodx

Although I would prefer to win #3 than beat Michigan.

andy7171
August 6th, 2007, 12:58 PM
What is ridiculous is people who think Michigan is going to lose this game. And I'm not stupid for thinking winning a National Championship, getting a trophy and a ring is better than being involved in an upset, even as large as this would be. True, the vast majority of the population doesnt know or care about the FCS championship. Does that negate the legitimacy of it? What about womens basketball? Swimming? any of the other smaller sports that have NC honors every year? Should they just stop because no one knows or cares about them?

All I was saying was I'd rather have an FCS NC over being THAT team that Michigan lost to. Because in a year or two, no one will remember who Michigan lost to, only that Michigan lost.

pete4256
August 6th, 2007, 01:08 PM
No FCS team has ever beaten a ranked FBS team...EVER! Would they really remember a 3rd consecutive National title?

Has a I-AA team ever beaten a ranked I-A team? I'm pretty sure that's happened, but I'd have to consult with Arkansas State fans on the event that comes to mind.

ucdtim17
August 6th, 2007, 01:23 PM
What is ridiculous is people who think Michigan is going to lose this game. And I'm not stupid for thinking winning a National Championship, getting a trophy and a ring is better than being involved in an upset, even as large as this would be. True, the vast majority of the population doesnt know or care about the FCS championship. Does that negate the legitimacy of it? What about womens basketball? Swimming? any of the other smaller sports that have NC honors every year? Should they just stop because no one knows or cares about them?

All I was saying was I'd rather have an FCS NC over being THAT team that Michigan lost to. Because in a year or two, no one will remember who Michigan lost to, only that Michigan lost.

No of course it's not going to happen, which is exactly why it would be so amazing and 10 times better than any FCS championship. And sorry, but women's swimming is not as important as football. They shouldn't stop, but everyone knows it's not as big a deal as football. Sort of like how everyone (else in the world - not on this board) knows a win over Michigan would be a way bigger deal than any FCS championship

appstatejhall
August 6th, 2007, 01:36 PM
How do you expect us to beat Michigan when we got pounded by NCST? I love the enthusiasm, but chill out and enjoy being a dominant FCS Team.
I hope that we leave Ann Abour injury free and can keep going for the 3-peat.

appisgreatest
August 6th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I don't expect us to beat michigan. It would be miraculous if we did. But i don't consider the NC St game from last year a pounding. We played well during that game and just ran out of steam at the end.

JDC325
August 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Win over Michigan ...it is not even close as far as which would benifit the school more.

B&G
August 6th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Even though I know it is the longest of shots, I would have to take the upset over Michigan. I would compare that to a #16 seed finally beating a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Anyone saying that people would forget about this upset in a couple of years is delusional. Hell, they'll probably make a movie about it b/c Hollywood is so devoid of ideas right now. Either option would be great. Either would be historic. I feel like the 3rd National Championship is within the realm of possibility.

The only reason I would vote against the UM upset is that I will be there for the game and might not make it out alive if ASU did pull off the impossible.

DetroitFlyer
August 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM
On the overall scale of college football, a win by App over UM would be viewed as a much bigger deal than a third NC. Maybe not right, but that is the reality. Since App has two, back to back championships, I would vote for the upset of UM. Never going to happen, but I think the state of Michigan just might go out of business if App could pull it off....

Go...gate
August 6th, 2007, 03:45 PM
National Championship

james_lawfirm
August 6th, 2007, 03:50 PM
How do you expect us to beat Michigan when we got pounded by NCST? I love the enthusiasm, but chill out and enjoy being a dominant FCS Team.
I hope that we leave Ann Abour injury free and can keep going for the 3-peat.

Sage advice. xnodx xnodx xnodx

Saint3333
August 6th, 2007, 06:04 PM

How many people said App wouldn't win back to back titles last off season? xcoffeex

mrklean
August 6th, 2007, 06:32 PM
A win over BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

appsfan
August 6th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Since I have to pick on, I would choose a National Championship. A victory over Michigan would be huge, but another NC means we had another super season.

ucdtim17
August 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM
On the overall scale of college football, a win by App over UM would be viewed as a much bigger deal than a third NC. Maybe not right, but that is the reality.

Of course it's right - everyone here agrees it's a much more monumental task. No one thinks ASU can win. On the other hand they're ranked #1 in FCS - people obviously think they can win another championship. It would not be surprising

GGASU
August 6th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Of course it's right - everyone here agrees it's a much more monumental task. No one thinks ASU can win.

The entire 4000-5000 ASU ticket allotment was sold to Yosef members before any were released to the public. We have at least another 1000 fans going who are buying tickets from Michigan fans. I guarantee you that 9 out of 10 people making that 13 hour drive believe we can win....they may not say it out loud, but they think it. xnodx

Poly Pigskin
August 7th, 2007, 04:56 AM
I guarantee you that 9 out of 10 people making that 13 hour drive believe we can win....they may not say it out loud, but they think it. xnodx

What do you guys smoke out there? Whatever it is, I want some.

I'd take the win over UM, for pretty much the same reasons ucdtim17 has been giving.

Mountain Panther
August 7th, 2007, 11:11 AM
xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x UM-ASU can't kick off soon enoughxnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

lizrdgizrd
August 7th, 2007, 11:33 AM
xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x UM-ASU can't kick off soon enoughxnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

You're right! :D

Black Saturday
August 7th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Remember 2004, ASU 8-3, #2 seed. Money talks. We have the second best attendance behind you guys in the FCS. Running the table after Michigan is possible. However Wofford and Furman and others are scheduled.

JBB
August 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Beating Michigan on the road would be a real harbinger for the coming season.

AZGrizFan
August 7th, 2007, 12:02 PM
The entire 4000-5000 ASU ticket allotment was sold to Yosef members before any were released to the public. We have at least another 1000 fans going who are buying tickets from Michigan fans. I guarantee you that 9 out of 10 people making that 13 hour drive believe we can win....they may not say it out loud, but they think it. xnodx

Sounds like you've got a lot of delusional fans over there.... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Black Saturday
August 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM
National Championship over the other UM (Montana) would be sweeter in my eyes, since we owe them from the playoff game in Missoula years back.

It would be fine with me to open the season with a loss UM and close the season with a win over UM Montana in Chattanooga .:)

Thunderstruck84
December 17th, 2007, 02:29 PM
ASU fans, the best game thread got me wondering this.

What game would you consider as the biggest win of your season, the Michigan game or the National Title game?

Judging from the best game thread it seems like the Michigan game was a bigger win or maybe it was just the bigger highlight to your season, your thoughts.

Appstate29
December 17th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Ring.

AppHokie
December 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
A championship means more to most alum/students/fans but it is tough to argue against the national publicity of the Michigan game. Personally, I agree, it is the ring.

ASU_Grad
Gotta agree on the ring. National Championship is more important than beating Michigan, although Michigan gets the exposure.

Personally, the JMU game was almost more exciting than the Michigan game. That was a huge win for the program, even though we didn't really win that game.

I'm still shocked we survived that first round JMU game.

I only hope we can play better against them at home next year.

appstate38
Like AE said, Beating Michigan did not put a ring on our finger.

Still the UM win was a nice accent.

DLS
December 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM
anybody could have caught michigan sleeping but not just anybody can win three straight. championship.

AshevilleApp2
December 17th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Championship. Easy.

mountain_man
December 17th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Ring.

AMEN!

the michigan win was huge, but that ring means a whole lot more in the end. as Coach Moore said, if we would have lost friday night, the michigan win would have meant nothing.

back2back
December 17th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Win over Delaware was the biggest, but obviously the victory over Michigan brought us the most attention in the media and press. I have read countless articles about the national championship game in 7 or 8 newspapers and within the first three paragraphs of every story is mention of our 34-32 all-time upset of Michigan. How many people have not heard of this?

HiHiYikas
December 17th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Michigan was the biggest opponent.

The National Championship - no matter who the opponent - is always a bigger game.

If ASU had beaten anybody - WCU, Furman, GaSo, Lenoir-Rhyne, etc. - in the same fashion they beat Michigan, I would call it the most exciting game of the year.

On my list of "unlikely ASU endings," I'd put it somewhere below the Miracle on the Mountain, and somewhere abover Jason Hunter's 2005 title game strip.

To win in astounding fashion AND on the biggest stage in school history is a perfect storm of good publicity.

mountaineertider
December 17th, 2007, 03:01 PM
1. The Three Peat
2. UM (I bet my uncle that he'd give me $50 if ASU won, I'd give him nothing that UM won. THANK YOU UNCLE RICK!)
3. JMU

Bettina90
December 17th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Like AE said, Beating Michigan did not put a ring on our finger.

Still the UM win was a nice accent.

Wait. You guys get rings?

Thunderstruck84
December 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Well I see that this is a pretty one-sided argument. I don't think any D1AA/FCS team recently has had anything close to the kind of regular season victory that ASU had over Michigan this year but I'm glad to see that most App State fans put the NC game above it. That's why our division is called the Football Championship Subdivision. Congrats ASU and thanks for bringing a new level of respect for FCS football. xthumbsupx

ASU88
December 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM
The Michigan win did more to put us on the map. It brought us more publicity which could pay dividends in more publicity, recruiting, etc. for years to come.

So ... on the national stage from the outside perspective, the Michigan win was the bigger win.

As to which win I would take given choice of one. NC game easily. Nothing like those rings, especially one after another after another....

HiHiYikas
December 17th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Wait. You guys get rings?
The players do.

And, by the way, pretty much every fan - yourself included - refers to one team or another in improperly posessive terms on occasion. Most of us aren't terribly confused by this type of language. I'm sure you'll catch on in time.

You guys beat the worst Michigan team in the last 25 years and now you are sick of announcers talking about it. Wow.

The "guys" to whom this post refers are the ones who got rings.

james_lawfirm
December 17th, 2007, 03:33 PM
The NC & the Michigan game were great bookends to a fine season. It is like comparing apples & oranges though. If I had to choose, I would choose to win the NC, hands down. The fact that we actually won BOTH is amazing.

The fact that ASU beat Michigan and Delaware beat Navy was not lost on the ESPN2 announcers. It certainly does appear that the FCS is getting some recognition it otherwise would not have except for these games. I know ASU is getting more recognition.

Has anyone else noticed that Michigan's new coach, Rodriguez, brings the spread offense to Michigan (the one that ASU beat them with)? Could it be that the FCS has become the trend-setter because we have to do more with less?

It is clear to me that the gap of skills and abilities between the FCS & FBS schools is much narrower than ever before. One thing the NC did for ASU was prove that the Michigan game was no fluke. As Lou Holtz said, over the protestations of his counterparts, "the better team won." Yep, they did.

bench
December 17th, 2007, 04:11 PM
The Michigan victory was the bigger singular win; the National Championship was the bigger accomplishment. In a one-off game, a win over a legacy school in the top division is always going to be more impressive than a win against a team in your division, even with a title on the line. But a title isn't won by winning one game. It took 13 wins over the course of a long and injury-plagued season to pull it off, a body of work that includes both signature victories. Anyone can be excellent on a given day. It takes a champ to be consistently excellent from start to finish, and that's what is most impressive of all.

HaveFunKc
December 17th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Not even close... Ring game by far! Tons of hoopla with beating the Wolverines at the Big House, but nothing compares to raising a National Championship banner - period.

Appstate03
December 17th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Here is what my friend wrote about this subject.

Any of the coaches and players will tell you the Michigan game was nice, but the three championships are better. Three championships are great, but no one would speak to me when I wear my ASU apparel if that was all they had done. There would be no national media attention, no highlights on Sportscenter.. It's thanks to the win in Ann Arbor that this small, division IAA school gets more highlight time on ESPN than many larger Division IA schools. It's thanks to that first win of the season that strangers want to shake my hand when I wear the shirts (which I will today!). There are stories of ASU fans being applauded in cities all over... but especially in Ohio.

In my opinion the biggest win was the Michigan game.

AppStsGr8
December 17th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I must say the Michigan game was really sweet. The national recognition for Appalachian would have been difficult to accomplish in other ways. Being in a stadium with 109,000+ people and watching 107,000 of them go absolutely speechless was somewhere beyond priceless.

That said, no win over any single school from any single division can outshine a third national championship for Appalachian. Happiness comes and goes; joy lasts a lifetime.

Appinator
December 17th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I'm torn on this one. At the end of the day, the entire season would have felt empty when reminiscing the Michigan win without the National Championship to go along with it. However there are two huge things that the win in the big house gave us:

MONEY: Not only did that check for 400k not bounce, it was the priming fluid to our merchandising pipeline. Charlie Cobb said that we have sold over 10 MILLION dollars worth of ASU gear this year, before the 3-peat. We had to open up a separate warehouse to fill all of the out of state orders, not to mention the revenue from the licensing. We sold out all of our regular season games, which consists of ASU having to stop printing tickets because the fire marshal would shut us down if we didn't. Granted we were back to back champs, but do you really think 28K people wanted to see us play Lenoir-Rhyne, or they wanted to see the giant slayers who had a huge win the week before. After that game we should have changed our school colors to black, gold, and GREEN for the year.

LEGITAMACY: I hate talking to people who say, "Well yeah, you’re from division 2b or something, my high school team was better." In the words of Dan Hawkins "IT"S DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL BROTHER!" and no one seems to get that. The game at Michigan was a measuring stick to remind people we weren't just that team who used to beat up on Wake Forrest from time to time. Tell me a team in the ACC who would have wanted to play us this year (or next might I add)? Zero. Chalk that up to conference legitimacy too, after all we did have two conference losses, and I think Wofford and GSU had an FBS win in the chamber ready to fire if a few things had gone right for them.

Yes we all know that FCS is just as talented in some aspects, and even more talented at others, but this let the rest of the world know as well. McNeese annihilated LA-Monroe, UNI stomped ISU, and SIU punked NIU, but App did it in probably in most audacious way. On the inaugural Saturday on a network, in front of 110,000 fans, on a day "Cupcake" Herbstriet told a national audience we didn't even deserve to be in the same building, we won.

appsfan
December 17th, 2007, 04:50 PM
The Michigan victory was the bigger singular win; the National Championship was the bigger accomplishment. In a one-off game, a win over a legacy school in the top division is always going to be more impressive than a win against a team in your division, even with a title on the line. But a title isn't won by winning one game. It took 13 wins over the course of a long and injury-plagued season to pull it off, a body of work that includes both signature victories. Anyone can be excellent on a given day. It takes a champ to be consistently excellent from start to finish, and that's what is most impressive of all.

That's a good take on things. If you were to ask me which one I would keep if I had to give up one of the wins, I would keep the NC victory.

ASUMountaineer
December 17th, 2007, 05:27 PM
A lot of people asked me (especially my buddies from Michigan) which I would prefer more as a fan, beating Michigan or winning a third straight NC championship. I said beating Michigan. Maybe it's because it's Michigan, maybe it's because I used to live there, maybe it's because that was the best (and most cost effective way) for the entire nation to take notice of Appalachian, and all of FCS as a whole. Of course, it's great and more important to say ASU is the back to back to back champion, but it's also great to know, wherever you go in America, people now know Appalachian State. When I lived in Michigan (04-05) no one at school knew what/ where Appalachian State was. Now, they all do. That is why, I think Michigan is the biggest win in the school's history. That win will be discussed by ASU fans, Michigan fans, and everyone else forever.

OldRef
December 17th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Lets see...Since I enrolled I have seen Coach Brakefield, Working, Brown, Woods and Moore. I have seen Coach Moore go 6-5 and 4-7. Appalachain could play Michigan 20 times and only beaten them maybe 3..

The championship is far sweeter.

The Michigan win was just cool...and I got to give crap to my cousin that went to law school at Michigan!!

ASU_Pads
December 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM
For Appalachian, the championship was much bigger, but if you look at it from a national scale, the Michigan win was. Other FCS schools are benefiting from ASU's win in the Big House. It goes to show you that the gap is narrowing between divisions. Believe it or not, we do play football in the FCS... and yes it is tackle.

ERASU2113
December 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM
For Appalachian, the championship was much bigger, but if you look at it from a national scale, the Michigan win was. Other FCS schools are benefiting from ASU's win in the Big House. It goes to show you that the gap is narrowing between divisions. Believe it or not, we do play football in the FCS... and yes it is tackle.

I just had to say I know the guy in your avatar :D

Bettina90
December 17th, 2007, 08:48 PM
The players do.

And, by the way, pretty much every fan - yourself included - refers to one team or another in improperly posessive terms on occasion. Most of us aren't terribly confused by this type of language. I'm sure you'll catch on in time.

The "guys" to whom this post refers are the ones who got rings.

Apples, Oranges, and semantics. It's one thing to say "We" beat Michigan. It's a little more to say "put a ring on our finger". But maybe that's just me.

GreatAppSt
December 17th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Ding Ding Ding the third ring!xthumbsupx

MR. CHICKEN
December 17th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Gotta agree on the ring. National Championship is more important than beating Michigan, although Michigan gets the exposure.

Personally, the JMU game was almost more exciting than the Michigan game. That was a huge win for the program, even though we didn't really win that game.

YA'LL OWE MICKEY...UH X-MAS CARD.....FLOWERS......BOX UH CANDY.....VOTE HIM UH RING....SOMETHIN'!

feb18blacksunday
December 17th, 2007, 09:24 PM
The NC win was the culmination of a great season of goals. It should be the most important win, however when ya look at the $ side of things the Michigan win generated more exposure than money could buy. Biggest win=Michigan. Most important win=Delaware.
Go!
Fight!
Kick AZZ!

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 17th, 2007, 09:32 PM
It was incredible to see your alma mater blistered across every ESPN Channel, Sportscenter, the Sports Reporters, etc.

Truly a 48 hour high and to knock UM out of their National Championship hunt on Day 1 of the season was great!

However, you can't Three-Peat with two NC's and a win over UM.

The nail biting playoff experience culminating with a National Championship is the pinnacle. I vote for the NC!

KiddBrewer
December 17th, 2007, 11:52 PM
the "tshirt and hat games" are always bigger.

the ring.

'neers80
December 18th, 2007, 10:01 AM
ring!

'neers80
December 18th, 2007, 10:01 AM
ring!
excuse me ... 3 three rings!

AppChicago
December 18th, 2007, 10:58 AM
The 3peat was an outstanding moment in ASU and FCS history. Without it, I agree that the U of M win would have been hollow.

I live in the heart of Big Ten country, though. Every bar, every game. Michigan. Wisconsin. U of I. Etc. Big Ten plus Notre Dame. That's what counts in Chicago. To have OSU fans buying me drinks. To have people offer to buy my App shirt off of my back. To have folks PRONOUNCING THE NAME OF OUR SCHOOL CORRECTLY. That stuff is undeniably sweet.

More important for legacy and posterity? Ring.

More important for exposure and sheer excitement? Gotta be U of M.

APPride
December 18th, 2007, 11:33 AM

this nonsense about ASU "not really winning this game" has got to stop. I am sorry to call out a fellow alum...but c'mon. The final score says we won! That fumble w/ seconds to go speaks to EVERYTHING App has stood for the last few years.

1.) making opportunities
2.) taking advantage of opportunities
3.) NEVER giving up
4.) doing enough and more to WIN THE GAME

5.) intimidating other teams into plays that in hindsight were not the best calls. i.e., Mickey Matthews running the ball 1 last time in order to "center up" the angle on the field goal. He KNEW there was a strong chance App would block the kick from the right hash mark, or block it period, so why not possibly eliminate that by MAYBE running it in.

6.) that fumble was no gimme, here ya go kind of thing. A strong, well timed hit caused it. An alert linebacker who HAD HIS HEAD IN THE GAME recovered. Yes, in hindsight JMU should not have run the ball BUT APP STATE MADE THE MOST OF THE OPPORTUNITY THAT WAS PRESENT WHEN THEY DID. (BTW, Coach Moore KICKED ON 1ST DOWN @ MICH. and left too much time on the clock! so who's to say whats right?)

If JMU dominated in the stats, especially T.O.P., well by golly it STILL wasn't good enough, WAS IT ?

someone tell me if I'm on the right track. I thought we won against JMU fair and square!
xnodx xnodx xnodx

yosef1969
December 18th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I'm in the minority, but no doubt in my mind I'd take the Michigan win.

That win will do more for the school and the program in the long term than any number of FCS championships ever could/will.

Great thing is, I don't have to choose!

MountaineerGuy
December 18th, 2007, 11:48 AM
someone tell me if I'm on the right track. I thought we won against JMU fair and square!
xnodx xnodx xnodx

Amen. To that whole thing.

The NC is a big deal. But I'll be honest, if I could go back in time and trade my ticket to the NC for a ticket to A2, I would go to the Mich game in a second. I have to think a lot of people in that situation would do the same.

I know the ring (especially the third one in a row) is the most important thing in the season, but when you look back on all those great moments in sports history, a lot of them are teams winning games they're not supposed to. Not to disrespect anybody else in the FCS, because a lot of you proved that our boys are certainly not immortal in this league, but we were expected to win the NC this year, even before the Michigan win, and especially after it.

On the other hand, we weren't even supposed to be contenders in A2, but the boys did what brawlers do and ignored all the legacy and hype of the wolverines and pulled off "the greatest upset of all time." Bottom line, both of these wins made history, but I really think the U of M win was a more exclusive situation. I think it was a bigger win.

GGASU
December 18th, 2007, 11:57 AM
For me Michigan was bigger.

The Moody1
December 18th, 2007, 01:45 PM
It is a tie. xsmiley_wix

mcveyrl
December 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Amen. To that whole thing.

The NC is a big deal. But I'll be honest, if I could go back in time and trade my ticket to the NC for a ticket to A2, I would go to the Mich game in a second. I have to think a lot of people in that situation would do the same.

I know the ring (especially the third one in a row) is the most important thing in the season, but when you look back on all those great moments in sports history, a lot of them are teams winning games they're not supposed to. Not to disrespect anybody else in the FCS, because a lot of you proved that our boys are certainly not immortal in this league, but we were expected to win the NC this year, even before the Michigan win, and especially after it.

On the other hand, we weren't even supposed to be contenders in A2, but the boys did what brawlers do and ignored all the legacy and hype of the wolverines and pulled off "the greatest upset of all time." Bottom line, both of these wins made history, but I really think the U of M win was a more exclusive situation. I think it was a bigger win.

I have said this on here before, but there's no question that ASU deserved to win the JMU game. As others have pointed out, the fumble was forced and recovered by ASU AND ASU made the stop on 4th and 1 on the other end that would've ended the game.

Now regarding the two games...I can't speak for ASU fans, but I think the question should be not if you'd trade your ticket, but would you trade the games. In other words, would you rather beat Michigan and lose in the playoffs or vice versa? The funny thing is that a similar thread was started before the season started, but it was more in terms of trading one for the other...I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Here (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27358&page=10&highlight=title) it is. Pretty interesting reading...

Menudo
December 18th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I would say it would be the National Championship. It would almost be like New England going all the way and then losing the super bowl.

mcveyrl
December 18th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Hey!! You can't jack my link!!!xlolx xlolx

BTW, that's not as dirty as it sounds!

CamelCityAppFan
December 18th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I'm torn on this.

Winning the unprecedented 3rd title is huge. No question. I was there, loved every minute of it.

But personally, the Michigan game was special because I went to the game with my Dad, who graduated from Michigan in 1960. That day was the first time since November, 1959 he'd set foot inside the Big House. The Sunday morning after the game we walked all over campus, found his dorm, his classrooms, etc. Great weekend for the two of us, once in a lifetime opportunity. But I guess the weekend would have been special regardless of whether or not Corey blocked the kick...xthumbsupx

ASU_Pads
December 18th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I just had to say I know the guy in your avatar :D

I AM THE GUY IN MY AVATAR!!! Who are you?

bench
December 18th, 2007, 03:17 PM

I think I saw you in Steak 'n Shake after the game still in full regalia. It's a distinctive look.

Bettina90
December 18th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I think most ASU fans that have answered the NC win in this thread are kidding themselves. The lens of history will remember this team not for beating Michigan, Jr. to win it's 3rd straight FCS NC, but for beating Michigan, SENIOR in it's own house, when NOBODY expected them to win.

You cannot possibly tell me you regard a 3rd straight NC over that day in Ann Arbor.

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I think most ASU fans that have answered the NC win in this thread are kidding themselves. The lens of history will remember this team not for beating Michigan, Jr. to win it's 3rd straight FCS NC, but for beating Michigan, SENIOR in it's own house, when NOBODY expected them to win.

You cannot possibly tell me you regard a 3rd straight NC over that day in Ann Arbor.
Oh, sorry Betty, I guess you have the power to read minds. We're all just kidding ourselves that that's our preference. xrolleyesx

MaxASU'81
December 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM
...90 (Richmond Fan)
"You cannot possibly tell me you regard a 3rd straight NC over that day in Ann Arbor."

Win one first then tell us how the NC are 2nd to a win at Michigan

HiHiYikas
December 18th, 2007, 04:40 PM

That's how I regard it. I think there's a difference between how the long-time ASU fan sees it and the joe-schmoe ESPN-watcher who didn't know where Boone was before 9/1 sees it. In football as in nearly all things, I think joe-schmoe is wrong.

And sorry you have so low a regard for the FCS national champinship.

The lens of history can focus where it will. Lots and lots and lots of teams can say they've beaten Michigan - from Purdue to Cornell to U. of Chicago.

In 20 years, the Michigan win can be thrown on the trivia pile somewhere next to ASU's victory over Duke in basketball.

bamamountaineer1013
December 18th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Got to go with the National Championship game...no question.

ASU_Pads
December 18th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I think I saw you in Steak 'n Shake after the game still in full regalia. It's a distinctive look.

Haha, Steak 'n Shake after a National Championship... the best meal of the year... even if it took 3 months to get my food, and they got my order wrong. I've eaten at the same place after all three championships, and I'm looking forward to seeing you there again next year. xthumbsupx

APP91
December 18th, 2007, 08:52 PM
They cannot be compared. the michigan win brought more exposure than Bill Gates can buy. Everyone in the country, almost, knows who App. State is.

They give rings for NC games. That's what we play for.

AppChicago
December 19th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Reading through the old posts in this thread is a true delight.

ASU
December 19th, 2007, 01:36 AM

Your August 5, 2007 post is now really funny!!!!

Appstate29
December 19th, 2007, 01:43 AM

We aren't worthy!!! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx