PDA

View Full Version : Give me your real criticisms of the NC game...

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Ok, I am not looking for rants or bashing...I am looking for real ways to make the championship game a better experience.

Leave your thoughts here and I will compile them and give the to Chattanooga Sports Committee director Merrill Eckstein.

Here is what I saw that could be improved...

*Better crowd control on the field (duh)

*Sound system
(as I had mentioned, we had purchased a brand new system this year and unfortunately an inexperienced person blew the bass out before the game)

*More portalets outside of the stadium for tailgate
(while this is not really the responsibility of the sports committee...it is still something that needs to be addressed)

*Better explanation of how/where GA/SRO tickets are located
(I was asked this numerous times working the media pass gate...apparently part of the problem was that ASU officials downloaded a copy of UC's regular season stadium diagram...all but the blue seats are G.A. during the regular season...so many fans thought they could just use their SRO tickets anywhere in the stadium and were shocked to find out that they literally would be standing in an endzone...even though it was printed at the top of the ticket (plaza or scoreboard SRO)...this was really more of a communication error on ASU's part...but the committee can do a better job of explaining to future schools exactly where the SRO ticket areas are).

Anything else? Any good constructive thoughts? You can't fix a problem if you don't know it exists.

phillyAPP
December 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Ok, I am not looking for rants or bashing...I am looking for real ways to make the championship game a better experience.

Leave your thoughts here and I will compile them and give the to Chattanooga Sports Committee director Merrill Eckstein.

*Sound system
(as I had mentioned, we had purchased a brand new system this year and unfortunately an inexperienced person blew the bass out before the game)

(while this is not really the responsibility of the sports committee...it is still something that needs to be addressed)

(I was asked this numerous times working the media pass gate...apparently part of the problem was that ASU officials downloaded a copy of UC's regular season stadium diagram...all but the blue seats are G.A. during the regular season...so many fans thought they could just use their SRO tickets anywhere in the stadium and were shocked to find out that they literally would be standing in an endzone...this was really more of a communication error on ASU's part...but the committee can do a better job of explaining to future schools exactly where the SRO ticket areas are).

Anything else? Any good constructive thoughts? You can't fix a problem if you don't know it exists.

First of all, THANK YOU and Chattanooga for all you have done.

1-Restrict tailgating to 6-8 hours, NO KEGS.

2-More Potty's spread out around lot, near security station.

3-More security stations around tailgating lot, just in case. I couldn't find one if i tried. They drove by once.

4-More trained security in the stands.

5-More places to eat after the game or list of places that will cook after game. All booze & NO food , not good.

Positives:

Chattanooga town is great!
People are great.
Police are polite and helpful.
Hotels great.
Taxi's great.

Thanks AGAIN.

JayJ79
December 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I thought I remembered hearing (back in '05) NUMEROUS announcements over the PA for fans to remain in the stands and off the field. Granted, it was inevitable that people would end up on the field AFTER the game, but still.

From what other people are saying, it seems as if the officials almost encouraged people to leave the stands this year. Which seems mighty stupid to me. But I wasn't at the game this year, so I don't know for certain.

Borat
December 16th, 2007, 09:34 PM
more porta-potties
police in the main lot and lots near the stadium keeping tabs on excessive drinking - we were in our lot from 11:45 AM until 7:00 PM. Bike police came through at about 1:30 PM, never saw them again that day.
ushers checking tickets and ensuring that someone with an SRO ticket isn't sitting in my seat in section 109
better PA system - we couldn't hear the National Anthem, only every other word was audible
better officials

Positives:

nice stadium
bunch of hotels close by
the f-18 flyby
the hottie in the delaware boxer shorts in the next spot over from my buddy's tailgate spot
seeing App win on Friday and then going to the Warren Haynes Xmas Jam on Saturday :)

rjg129
December 16th, 2007, 09:47 PM
The section i was sitting the security guy did encourage us to come down, then promptly ran away...

I have gone to the last two NC games, i like chatty...

I would say the same things as above...

Have a designated officiating crew instead of rotating...MEAC crews are horrible at best

WUTNDITWAA
December 16th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Put up a fence between the hill and endzone and hang the guy who blew the speaker system by his pants on the flagpole, but other than that, I had no problems.

mountain man
December 16th, 2007, 09:55 PM
My wife and I were amazed at the amount of trash in the north parking lot before the game. It must have taken hours for the cleanup crews afterwards.

We parked on the street beside the north lot. The tailgaters beside us neatly put all their trash in a box to be hauled off. When I came back to get the car after late night wings, the box of trash had been kicked and dumped out in the street.

At other tailgates, I have seen crews on a golf cart going through during the tailgate handing out trash bags and hauling off the full bags. This wouldn't eliminate the trash problem, but would have to at least minimize the man hours of cleanup.

On a side note, it was very nice to be able to walk right into the stadium at 7:30ish and only have to wait a couple minutes to get through the line.

JayJ79
December 16th, 2007, 09:55 PM
ushers checking tickets and ensuring that someone with an SRO ticket isn't sitting in my seat in section 109

Did you try telling them that they were in your seat? Most of the time, that does the trick. And if it doesn't, THEN you get the ushers involved.

kappman
December 16th, 2007, 09:57 PM
1. As FC newbie and a first time visitor to Chatty I would recommend better signs/directions to Finley Stadium. Fix the PA system. I feel stupid for this but the outlandish price for the Championship shirt I got after the game.

As a FC newbie that really wanted to be in Chatty in '05 and in '06 I the experience exceeded my expectations. What a great time on the field and in town. Looking forward to another trip to Chatty for the App-nation.

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE=Borat;803784]

In my original post...it explains at least why some of the problem happened with the SRO tickets.

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 10:03 PM
The worst part of the PA is that this is the 2nd year in a row that someone has blown the system

it happen in '06...they rented the stadium for a band competition and they ruin the speakers...that is why they had to be replaced before this season

...then it happens again xsmhx

Someone on Frank Burke's staff should lose their job for that.

Borat
December 16th, 2007, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=Borat;803784]

In my original post...it explains at least why some of the problem happened with the SRO tickets.

These guys had a buddy whose seat was next to mine and moved themselves down there.

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 10:08 PM
As for tailgating, in the past, most people never showed up before noon (I think the fact that both schools had been here in the last couple of years gave their fans more knowledge on getting their early, if that makes sense)

Good suggestions on the tailgating, outside security, trash ans portalets.

...I do think there should probably be some controls on how much time people have to drink before the game...and if someone is falling down drunk, they should not be allowed in the game.

I think part of the problem is/has been that the sports committee and NCAA is mainly focused on the game itself (and the Pavilion)...the North lot is a bit more of an "as it goes" proposition.

Kind of like the naviety of no barrier in the endzone...they probably need to be less naive about the (sometimes excessive) amount of drinking going (for up to 12 hours before game time)...a little "curb on that enthusiasm" would probably lessen a lot of other problems during the actual event.

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Pertaining to cost of championship merchandise....that is all about the NCAA, not Chattanooga....their ridiculously priced merchandise :) is going to cost the same not matter what the venue.

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 10:16 PM
For any on here who had a spot for tailgating....

I believe it cost $5 a spot in the main lots nearest the stadium (which was primarily tailgating).

I thought of an idea that might help...

Would y'all be offended if it was $10 a space, instead of $5 ....IF, the extra money was used to more get police, portalets, trash pick up, etc?

(personally, I don't think $10 is terribly expensive to park that close to the stadium at a national championship game)

Borat
December 16th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Did you try telling them that they were in your seat? Most of the time, that does the trick. And if it doesn't, THEN you get the ushers involved.

Yes, I did tell them to move. Didn't do any good. There were so many of them that it was pointless trying to get them to move after a while.

At a sold-out game they should be checking tickets before allowing people into a section, particularly the lower sections. Our row probably had 6 extra people crowded in. Along with the need for extra security, extra ushers would help.

phillyAPP
December 16th, 2007, 10:25 PM
As for tailgating, in the past, most people never showed up before noon (I think the fact that both schools had been here in the last couple of years gave their fans more knowledge on getting their early, if that makes sense)

Good suggestions on the tailgating, outside security, trash ans portalets.

...I do think there should probably be some controls on how much time people have to drink before the game...and if someone is falling down drunk, they should not be allowed in the game.

I think part of the problem is/has been that the sports committee and NCAA is mainly focused on the game itself (and the Pavilion)...the North lot is a bit more of an "as it goes" proposition.

Kind of like the naviety of no barrier in the endzone...they probably need to be less naive about the (sometimes excessive) amount of drinking going (for up to 12 hours before game time)...a little "curb on that enthusiasm" would probably lessen a lot of other problems during the actual event.

I forgot More trash cans and or bags.

You know what to do from your postings.

Thanks Again. And tell #5 on the Mocs (linebacker) that Section 10 at APP loved cheering at him. We told him he was no OCHO CINCO. He was really funny.

Borat
December 16th, 2007, 10:39 PM

I believe it cost $5 a spot in the main lots nearest the stadium (which was primarily tailgating).

Would y'all be offended if it was $10 a space, instead of $5 ....IF, the extra money was used to more get police, portalets, trash pick up, etc?

(personally, I don't think $10 is terribly expensive to park that close to the stadium at a national championship game)

We parked in a lot on the corner of Main & Broad and it was free. We brought our own trash bags and cleaned up after ourselves.

I would have payed $10 to park where we were, if we had police, porta potties, and trash cleanup.

ASUPATCH
December 16th, 2007, 10:42 PM
1. Porta Potty's need to be at least tripled. And they were only in the main lot. Put some in the multiple satellite lots.
2. We all know the speaker system was crappy. And has been for a couple years now.
3. A fence like they had last year would have kept the students off the field. I couldn't believe when I walked to my seat and saw they were all standing on the wall with nothing but 6 cops to stop them. I know ESPN said they didn't want it. But they need to maybe make a permanent TV friendly structure for fan retention. Would have alleviated the crowding of the field until :00 IMO.
4. You could easily charge more for parking and it would help fund some of that.
5. Many many more trashcans were needed and would make clean up so much easier the next day if available.

Over all a great venue not to far from home this puts on a big show with less than capable employees.(cops, ticket takers, ETC) just don't seem ready for events that large.

B&G
December 16th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Ditto on the trash cans.

Applete
December 16th, 2007, 11:02 PM
It might be just me, but I think most stadiums need to have PA systems that surround the stadium and not just pumped from the scoreboard. This could help with the blowing of speakers because you wouldn't have to juice to volume so much to get the same effect. Just my xtwocentsx

phillyAPP
December 16th, 2007, 11:04 PM
It might be just me, but I think most stadiums need to have PA systems that surround the stadium and not just pumped from the scoreboard. This could help with the blowing of speakers because you wouldn't have to juice to volume so much to get the same effect. Just my xtwocentsx

Two cents worth thousands of $. I hope they spend it. xbowx

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2007, 12:33 AM
As I mentioned before...the new sound system was so loud during the regular season that other teams fans complained about it.

There was nothing wrong the system or the placement of the speakers...until a moron apprently turned up the bass dial to "11" before the game

(trivia: what musicians have amps that go up to 11? :))

Bobcat in NC
December 17th, 2007, 08:06 AM
As I mentioned before...the new sound system was so loud during the regular season that other teams fans complained about it.

There was nothing wrong the system or the placement of the speakers...until a moron apprently turned up the bass dial to "11" before the game

(trivia: what musicians have amps that go up to 11? :))

Spinal Tap! xpeacex

bamamountaineer1013
December 17th, 2007, 08:38 AM

I paid 15 dollars to park across the street from the stadium... which I think was a little more than what we paid last year to park in the same spot. Thought that was a bit much...

HiHiYikas
December 17th, 2007, 08:42 AM
I did see the golf-cart crew passing out trash bags. I was given one, and it really helped.

When Armanti Edwards has to be the one to tell the officials that the ESPN crew is still on the field, it becomes abundantly clear: small-time refs for the FCS's biggest game is a poor idea.

I for one don't think more porta-johns are needed. As long as the parking lot security doesn't give a rip about (semi) public urination, the number of porta-johns is just about right.

I'm not sure what the security folks were supposed to be doing...I broke up 2 fights right in front of a security truck. Meanwhile, the guy in the truck sat in his drivers' seat for 7 hours. I kinda think I should get a cut of his paycheck.

89Hen
December 17th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Pertaining to cost of championship merchandise....that is all about the NCAA, not Chattanooga....their ridiculously priced merchandise :) is going to cost the same not matter what the venue.
xconfusedx $22 for a championship t-shirt is pretty cheap IMO. :)

GGASU
December 17th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Paid $30 at Michigan, and was expecting at least $20 at Chattanooga.

Had my flags torn off my car in the $5 parking lot (large grass one), so I would have no problems with an extra $10 per car for security and portable toliets.

asu70
December 17th, 2007, 01:07 PM

I would gladly pay $20 a space!

Appdad
December 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM

*Sound system

(I was asked this numerous times working the media pass gate...apparently part of the problem was that ASU officials downloaded a copy of UC's regular season stadium diagram...all but the blue seats are G.A. during the regular season...so many fans thought they could just use their SRO tickets anywhere in the stadium and were shocked to find out that they literally would be standing in an endzone...even though it was printed at the top of the ticket (plaza or scoreboard SRO)...this was really more of a communication error on ASU's part...but the committee can do a better job of explaining to future schools exactly where the SRO ticket areas are).

We had a ticket problem. There were duplicate tickets printed for our seats. Both looked original

89Hen
December 17th, 2007, 01:32 PM
BTW, I have no complaints about Chatty. My only beef with the NCAA was allowing a ref crew from a conference that has notoriously bad refs. These refs should EARN their way to Chatty, not just rotate through. xtwocentsx

This will be the last time I mention the refs as I don't think they made a difference, in the outcome, but BOTH teams deserved better. xpeacex

appsfan
December 17th, 2007, 05:13 PM
This was my second trip to Chattanooga for the NC game and overall it was another good experience. I couls see charging more for parking ($5 is a steal.) I would recommend having someone there taking money for parking who looks like he is working (uniform, reflective vest or something) and to give a parking ticket stub to provve you have paid. As for as I know, I gave money to someone who was getting ready for a beer run.

I would be against having tailgating time limits. In future years this probably won't be a problem with teams not quite experienced as Del and ASU were with Chattanooga.

Ud1Hens
December 17th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Change:
-More Bathrooms outside the stadium
-More security
-Food options in the stadium
-More trash cans
-Sound system

Keep:
-Fly by
-Parachuting entrance
-Fireworks