20: UC Davis Aggies
21: Northern Iowa Panthers
22: Western Carolina Catamounts
23: Tarleton Texans
24: Central Arkansas Bears
25: North Carolina Central Eagles

Professor Chaos
January 9th, 2024, 12:59 PM
Final poll article: https://thefcswedge.com/ags-poll/ags-poll-final-2023-top-25-results/

Not much to say about this one - these final polls are just a formality really since I think the interesting part of poll discussion is how teams are shaping up for the playoffs and those are over.

Thanks to everyone who voted this year! If you're on the fence about voting give it a shot next year - it's a good way to educate yourself about the rest of the FCS and makes fall Saturdays a lot more interesting IMO.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 9th, 2024, 04:07 PM
1: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
2: Montana Grizzlies
3: Villanova Wildcats
4: North Dakota State Bison
5: Furman Paladins
6: Montana State Bobcats
7: Albany Great Danes
8: Idaho Vandals
9: South Dakota Coyotes
10: Southern Illinois Salukis
11: Chattanooga Mocs
12: Mercer Bears
13: Youngstown State Penguins
14: Austin Peay Governors
15: Sac State Hornets
16: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
17: Florida A&M Rattlers
18: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
19: Lafayette Leopards
20: Richmond Spiders
21: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
22: Holy Cross Crusaders
23: North Carolina Central Eagles
24: Western Carolina Catamounts
25: UC Davis Aggies

The Most Significant Win: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
The Most Significant Loss: Montana State Bobcats
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Patriot League

ysubigred
January 9th, 2024, 04:41 PM
Not getting the love for SIU? YSU knocked the stuffing out of em and is ranked much lower.. Logic would swop them around..

xhomerx

smilo
January 9th, 2024, 06:05 PM
3: North Dakota State Bison
4: Montana State Bobcats
5: Villanova Wildcats
6: Furman Paladins
7: South Dakota Coyotes
8: Albany Great Danes
9: Idaho Vandals
11: Sac State Hornets
12: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
13: Youngstown State Penguins
14: Mercer Bears
15: Chattanooga Mocs
16: Austin Peay Governors
17: Western Carolina Catamounts
18: Richmond Spiders
19: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
20: Lafayette Leopards
21: Holy Cross Crusaders
22: Yale Bulldogs
23: Harvard Crimson
24: UC Davis Aggies
25: Florida A&M Rattlers

Professor Chaos
January 9th, 2024, 06:34 PM
Not getting the love for SIU? YSU knocked the stuffing out of em and is ranked much lower.. Logic would swop them around..

xhomerx
Seems to be a lot of recency bias towards playoffs games in the final poll and SIU had a nice playoff run finishing perhaps a bad coaching decision away from the quarterfinals. I really wanted to rank SIU above YSU but kept them just behind them due to that head-to-head result. Same with wanting Nova over Albany but ended up having Albany on top due to head-to-head.

This was mine:

4: Furman Paladins
5: Albany Great Danes
6: Villanova Wildcats
7: Idaho Vandals
8: Montana State Bobcats
10: Youngstown State Penguins
11: Southern Illinois Salukis
12: Chattanooga Mocs
13: Mercer Bears
14: Delaware Fightin Blue Hens
15: Lafayette Leopards
16: UC Davis Aggies
17: Austin Peay Governors
18: Sac State Hornets
19: Richmond Spiders
20: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
21: Incarnate Word Cardinals
23: Florida A&M Rattlers
24: Eastern Illinois Panthers
25: Holy Cross Crusaders

ysubigred
January 9th, 2024, 07:41 PM
Seems to be a lot of recency bias towards playoffs games in the final poll and SIU had a nice playoff run finishing perhaps a bad coaching decision away from the quarterfinals. I really wanted to rank SIU above YSU but kept them just behind them due to that head-to-head result. Same with wanting Nova over Albany but ended up having Albany on top due to head-to-head.

This was mine:

6: Villanova Wildcats
7: Idaho Vandals
8: Montana State Bobcats
10: Youngstown State Penguins
11: Southern Illinois Salukis
13: Mercer Bears
14: Delaware Fightin Blue Hens
15: Lafayette Leopards
19: Richmond Spiders
23: Florida A&M Rattlers
24: Eastern Illinois Panthers
25: Holy Cross CrusadersThat's why you're the Professor.. wise choice esteem scholar xbowx

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

McCowboys
January 10th, 2024, 06:26 AM

xhomerx

That game was played on October 7, and I do believe most every team lays an egg at one time or another. Also, what have you done for me lately? Southern Illinois had a nice run to finish the season.
And it doesn't matter what because when any poll comes out, you are

xdeadhorsex

McCowboys
January 10th, 2024, 06:37 AM
That game was played on October 7, and I do believe most every team lays an egg at one time or another. Also, what have you done for me lately? Southern Illinois had a nice run to finish the season.

xdeadhorsex

Furthermore, the ice birds are still ranked in the top 25. You know who has a bigger beef than YSU? How about Nicholls.
I am not a Nicholls or a UIW fan, but Nicholls goes to UIW and beats them. Nicholls wins the SLC. UIW doesn't. Nicholls wins the SLC autobid to the playoffs. UIW doesn't. UIW isn't in the playoffs.
Yet in every poll not only is UIW voted ahead of Nicholls, Nicholls is not even ranked in the top 25. After Nicholls was slaughtered by SIU, maybe they don't deserve to be ranked, but then why does a team they beat according to your complaints?

ysubigred
January 10th, 2024, 06:45 AM

xdeadhorsexUmmm.. both finished 8-5 lost in the same round of the playoffs and YSU 5-3 in MVFC as opposed to 4-4 for the Dawgs.. they are getting credit for a MAC NIU W IMO.. YSU had tOSU instead.

Hey, since we have such knowledgeable folks on here who compare past games as a measuring tool. I believe SDSU could beat Ohio State since SDSU beat YSU worse the tOSU did.. [emoji848] and also SDSU would give meatchicken a run for the $$ since tOSU did..[emoji57]

Personally, IDGF about polls it's the off season we need something to bitch about [emoji1787]

ysubigred
January 10th, 2024, 08:11 AM
Furthermore, the ice birds are still ranked in the top 25. You know who has a bigger beef than YSU? How about Nicholls.
I am not a Nicholls or a UIW fan, but Nicholls goes to UIW and beats them. Nicholls wins the SLC. UIW doesn't. Nicholls wins the SLC autobid to the playoffs. UIW doesn't. UIW isn't in the playoffs.
Yet in every poll not only is UIW voted ahead of Nicholls, Nicholls is not even ranked in the top 25. After Nicholls was slaughtered by SIU, maybe they don't deserve to be ranked, but then why does a team they beat according to your complaints?That's why automatic bids need to cease.. weak ass teams carrying a participantion trophy into the playoffs and gets their ass handed to them.. take the 12-16 best teams on a strict playoff criteria format and stop the weenie games.If one conference gets 5 of their teams in, that should tell other conferences to step up their game or drop out to a different division.

TheKingpin28
January 10th, 2024, 08:29 AM
6: Idaho Vandals
7: Montana State Bobcats
8: Villanova Wildcats
11: Sac State Hornets
13: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
14: Youngstown State Penguins
15: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
16: Richmond Spiders
18: Mercer Bears
19: Lafayette Leopards
20: Florida A&M Rattlers
23: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
24: UC Davis Aggies
25: Tarleton Texans

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
January 10th, 2024, 08:32 AM
Another year of doing this. Been a blast since I think 2017 for doing this and almost a decade here.

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
January 10th, 2024, 08:54 AM
Proud of you AGS voters for getting it right and including Furman in the Top 4.

It’s really a no-brainer that we (people that know Football) saw almost no difference between Montana, NDSU, and Furman. Any order of those 3 is defensible. Any others in the Top 4 is not.

All 3 had their 1 ‘slip-up’ game (maybe 2 for the bizuns), the relative merits / demerits of which can be endlessly quibbled, but they showed nothing but parity in their 3 OT partial Playoff round-robin.

The STATS Poll and the Coaches Poll not having Furman in their Top 4 just solidifies everything that is wrong with both of those polls. It’s a shame that the STATS Poll has such a significant influence over Playoff selections and Playoff seedings.

SteelSD
January 10th, 2024, 09:42 AM
Kind of crazy that SDSU ended up beating 10 of the top 17 teams.

caribbeanhen
January 10th, 2024, 09:44 AM

It’s really a no-brainer that we (people that know Football) saw almost no difference between Montana, NDSU, and Furman. Any order of those 3 is defensible. Any others in the Top 4 is not.

All 3 had their 1 ‘slip-up’ game (maybe 2 for the bizuns), the relative merits / demerits of which can be endlessly quibbled, but they showed nothing but parity in their 3 OT partial Playoff round-robin.

The STATS Poll and the Coaches Poll not having Furman in their Top 4 just solidifies everything that is wrong with both of those polls. It’s a shame that the STATS Poll has such a significant influence over Playoff selections and Playoff seedings.

Agree on all

someone actually ranked Furman # 3 because he likes Defense

Besides the Stats poll getting it wrong on Furman, I have to mention how they ranked The Rattlers of Tallahassee and Harvard…

Howard was a common opponent
Harvard ripped Howard in a laugher
Florida A&M beat ‘em in a nailbiter

yet Harvard is ORV and Florida Rattlers # 11

Can someone get Harvard on the field with Florida A&M please

ysubigred
January 10th, 2024, 09:53 AM
Agree on all

someone actually ranked Furman # 3 because he likes Defense

Besides the Stats poll getting it wrong on Furman, I have to mention how they ranked The Rattlers of Tallahassee and Harvard…

Howard was a common opponent
Harvard ripped Howard in a laugher
Florida A&M beat ‘em in a nailbiter

yet Harvard is ORV and Florida Rattlers # 11

Can someone get Harvard on the field with Florida A&M pleaseOr YSU..

caribbeanhen
January 10th, 2024, 09:59 AM
Or YSU..

Any trip that close to Philly is always dangerous

I think that loss was still fresh with the majority of the voters

SDFS
January 10th, 2024, 10:58 AM

I didn't have Furman as a Top 4 team. I watched two Furman games this year Wofford and Montana. I thought they played well against Montana. But the overall resume for Furman is extremely lacking. They played one Top Twenty team all year and lost. Hardly grounds for a top 4 ranking. And a big tip of the cap to NDSU. NDSU went 0-3 playing the other Dakota schools this year. Nice recovery.

Massey Ranking: 3,25,86,65,25,82,41,43,117,28,74,73

FUBeAR
January 10th, 2024, 11:18 AM
I didn't have Furman as a Top 4 team. I watched two Furman games this year Wofford and Montana. I thought they played well against Montana. But the overall resume for Furman is extremely lacking. They played one Top Twenty team all year and lost. Hardly grounds for a top 4 ranking. And a big tip of the cap to NDSU. NDSU went 0-3 playing the other Dakota schools this year. Nice recovery.

Massey Ranking: 3,25,86,65,25,82,41,43,117,28,74,73The primary basis defined in your narrative points to your flawed conclusion.

If Massey is our guide for our “Top Twenty,” why do a poll at all? Your opinion / analysis / knowledge is superfluous…by your own logic.

Montana Grizzlies
Tied in Regulation - Away on short week - Top All SoCon NFL prospect RB injured - only 2 carries (2 dives for TD’s)

Chattanooga Mocs
Beat 2x - Home & Away - 1x w/backup QB (Away)

Mercer Bears
Beat by 3+ scores

Western Carolina Catamounts
Beat when ranked #8 - Away

Samford Bulldogs
Beat - Away - Samford beat #23 UTM in last week to eliminate them from Playoffs. They are better than #37.

SDFS
January 10th, 2024, 12:06 PM
The primary basis defined in your narrative points to your flawed conclusion.

If Massey is our guide for our “Top Twenty,” why do a poll at all? Your opinion / analysis / knowledge is superfluous…by your own logic.

Montana Grizzlies
Tied in Regulation - Away on short week - Top All SoCon NFL prospect RB injured - only 2 carries (2 dives for TD’s)

Chattanooga Mocs
Beat 2x - Home & Away - 1x w/backup QB (Away)

Mercer Bears
Beat by 3+ scores

Western Carolina Catamounts
Beat when ranked #8 - Away

Samford Bulldogs
Beat - Away - Samford beat #23 UTM in last week to eliminate them from Playoffs. They are better than #37.

OK, by your logic they played 1 top 10 team and lost. But, they should be ranked number 4 in the country based on that loss. And you are asking everyone to forget about a terrible loss to a really bad team that turned the ball over something like 4 times and Furman still couldn't do anything. Sorry, Furman had a nice team but IMO not number 4. Not enough evidence for me.

FUBeAR
January 10th, 2024, 12:17 PM
OK, by your logic they played 1 top 10 team and lost. But, they should be ranked number 4 in the country based on that loss.
No - they should be ranked in the Top 4 in the country because they were at least as good as 2 of the other Top 4 Teams in the country.

They played and beat, other than the 1-game-slip-up that each of the other 2-4 Teams also had, every FCS Team on their schedule and they played the only other Top 4 Team that they played to a dead heat in 60 minutes of Football, on the road, in a hostile environment, with a short week, (pretty much) without 1 of their best players.

Your fellow voters ranked them accurately for a reason. FUBeAR is sorry you have some type of bias preventing you from being objective in your assessment.

Again, proud of this group of AGS Voters for getting it right. FUBeAR has nothing further to add about this Poll.

SDFS
January 10th, 2024, 01:22 PM
No - they should be ranked in the Top 4 in the country because they were at least as good as 2 of the other Top 4 Teams in the country.

They played and beat, other than the 1-game-slip-up that each of the other 2-4 Teams also had, every FCS Team on their schedule and they played the only other Top 4 Team that they played to a dead heat in 60 minutes of Football, on the road, in a hostile environment, with a short week, (pretty much) without 1 of their best players.

Your fellow voters ranked them accurately for a reason. FUBeAR is sorry you have some type of bias preventing you from being objective in your assessment.

Again, proud of this group of AGS Voters for getting it right. FUBeAR has nothing further to add about this Poll.

"other than the 1-game-slip-up that each of the other 2-4 Teams also had"

OK, lets look at the slip-ups

NDSU - Loses - OT (3) Montana, (1) SDSU, (15) UND, (5) USD.
Montana - Loses - (1) SDSU, (29) N. Ariz
Furman - Loses - OT (3) Montana, FBS South Carolina, (86) Wofford - gave Furman 4 turnovers and still managed to win.

It is clear that the losses are absolutely NOT comparable. It should have been a blow out win for Furman instead they lost (NOTE: It was an important game because they were playing for a playoff Seed- which they got no clue how). Combine that with the soft schedule already discussed. Top 4 - Nope.

POD Knows
January 10th, 2024, 02:13 PM
"other than the 1-game-slip-up that each of the other 2-4 Teams also had"

OK, lets look at the slip-ups

NDSU - Loses - OT (3) Montana, (1) SDSU, (15) UND, (5) USD.
Montana - Loses - (1) SDSU, (29) N. Ariz
Furman - Loses - OT (3) Montana, FBS South Carolina, (86) Wofford - gave Furman 4 turnovers and still managed to win.

It is clear that the losses are absolutely NOT comparable. It should have been a blow out win for Furman instead they lost (NOTE: It was an important game because they were playing for a playoff Seed- which they got no clue how). Combine that with the soft schedule already discussed. Top 4 - Nope.
I had them at 4 based on the showing at Montana. I had a lot of playoff bias in my poll.

SDFS
January 10th, 2024, 03:24 PM
I had them at 4 based on the showing at Montana. I had a lot of playoff bias in my poll.

I can understand that, but because of the regionalization that goes on in the Playoffs Brackets. It is hard to look past the semi final round. And I think they got knocked out in the Quarters. Again, not to say they are a bad team. But, I have them much closer to Idaho, Villanova, USD, and Montana St in my mind. The Montana / Furman game was a fun game but I think Montana had a nearly 200 total yard advantage. Maybe I am down too much on Furman because the conference overall seemed down to me and I watched the Wofford game.

Again, I watched the Wofford game because I didn't understand the high ranking for Furman at that point. I came away even less impressed with them. They were a god awful in that game. A Wofford was a bad team. It was simply bad football.

NY Crusader 2010
January 10th, 2024, 07:24 PM
I literally forgot to vote. Would've pushed HC into the Top 25. Oh well.

PaladinNation
January 11th, 2024, 05:43 AM
I can understand that, but because of the regionalization that goes on in the Playoffs Brackets. It is hard to look past the semi final round. And I think they got knocked out in the Quarters. Again, not to say they are a bad team. But, I have them much closer to Idaho, Villanova, USD, and Montana St in my mind. The Montana / Furman game was a fun game but I think Montana had a nearly 200 total yard advantage. Maybe I am down too much on Furman because the conference overall seemed down to me and I watched the Wofford game.

Again, I watched the Wofford game because I didn't understand the high ranking for Furman at that point. I came away even less impressed with them. They were a god awful in that game. A Wofford was a bad team. It was simply bad football.

It's worthless to argue with you abou—did Furman deserve a final ranking of 4th or 6th. Your view is filtered by Furman losing to Wofford and that the conference overall seemed down. That's your subjective opinion. The SoCon actually performed well in the playoffs going 3-3, that includes Furman and Chatty having a rematch.

Before the Furman/Montana game — the unanimous opinion especially coming from people west of the Mississippi was that Montana would bully and boat race Furman and prove they have been overrated all season. I was at the game, a saw two evenly matched teams, that were uncannily similar. I'll add based on the comments and conversations I had walking out of the stadium with the awesome Griz fans —they felt the same way.

By the way your "I think Montana had a nearly 200 yard total advantage," came from a kick return and a punt return. I'm not making any excuses for Furman, Furman makes a play on those returns Furman wins.

I'm proud of the way Furman played in Missoula, Furman had to travel over 2,200 miles on a short week, play a night game in probably the most hostile environment in FCS football and the game went into overtime.

ElCid
January 11th, 2024, 07:47 AM
It's worthless to argue with you abou—did Furman deserve a final ranking of 4th or 6th. Your view is filtered by Furman losing to Wofford and that the conference overall seemed down. That's your subjective opinion. The SoCon actually performed well in the playoffs going 3-3, that includes Furman and Chatty having a rematch.

Before the Furman/Montana game — the unanimous opinion especially coming from people west of the Mississippi was that Montana would bully and boat race Furman and prove they have been overrated all season. I was at the game, a saw two evenly matched teams, that were uncannily similar. I'll add based on the comments and conversations I had walking out of the stadium with the awesome Griz fans —they felt the same way.

By the way your "I think Montana had a nearly 200 yard total advantage," came from a kick return and a punt return. I'm not making any excuses for Furman, Furman makes a play on those returns Furman wins.

I'm proud of the way Furman played in Missoula, Furman had to travel over 2,200 miles on a short week, play a night game in probably the most hostile environment in FCS football and the game went into overtime.

It's just part of a narrative they are trying to push. Play this game in Travelers Rest and it goes to Furman. But that was in your court and you tried to sleepwalk Wofford. I guess the fact that they are somewhat of a rival a mere 25 miles away and have split their games evenly the last 20 years doesn't mean anything. I'm not sure that people understand how close the SOCON plays in conference. Sure, there was a bit of separation this year, but not universally so. Wofford lost by two scores to UTC and Mercer and one score to WCU. They seemed to have stood up to the harder opponents. Or the better teams relaxed a bit or had some injury holes. It didn't make a lot of sense. People were throwing Wofford around, but they ignore the bigger picture.

Furman ended up in my final four. I think it's hilariously disingenuous for people to cite the "season performance" for some teams as a reason to put them at X ranking and then solely cite "playoff performance" for other teams as a reason to put another team at Y ranking. Consistency seems to be lacking.

Oh, one more thing. Did I mention Furman sucks.👍

Chalupa Batman
January 11th, 2024, 08:10 AM
For your viewing pleasure:

6: South Dakota Coyotes
7: Montana State Bobcats
8: Villanova Wildcats
9: Idaho Vandals
11: Chattanooga Mocs
12: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
13: Lafayette Leopards
14: Mercer Bears
15: Youngstown State Penguins
17: Richmond Spiders
19: Austin Peay Governors
21: Florida A&M Rattlers
22: Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs
23: Western Carolina Catamounts
24: Holy Cross Crusaders
25: Tarleton Texans

The Most Significant Win: North Dakota State Bison
The Most Significant Loss: Austin Peay Governors
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Missouri Valley Football Conference

Houndawg
January 15th, 2024, 07:03 AM
Ummm.. both finished 8-5 lost in the same round of the playoffs and YSU 5-3 in MVFC as opposed to 4-4 for the Dawgs.. they are getting credit for a MAC NIU W IMO.. YSU had tOSU instead.

Hey, since we have such knowledgeable folks on here who compare past games as a measuring tool. I believe SDSU could beat Ohio State since SDSU beat YSU worse the tOSU did.. [emoji848] and also SDSU would give meatchicken a run for the $$ since tOSU did..[emoji57]

Personally, IDGF about polls it's the off season we need something to bitch about [emoji1787]

You should be talking SIU up Red, since it was your signature win for the entire season and it happened in early October. Just sayin'...xcoffeex

Ask the Jacks who's better, they played us both.

Houndawg
January 15th, 2024, 07:43 AM

4-10 could be in almost any order.

Furman had a team worthy of the #4 ranking but so did a half-dozen other teams; this year there was more separation between #1 and #2 than there was between #2-#10

Houndawg
January 15th, 2024, 07:52 AM
Yet in every poll not only is UIW voted ahead of Nicholls, Nicholls is not even ranked in the top 25. After Nicholls was slaughtered by SIU, maybe they don't deserve to be ranked, but then why does a team they beat according to your complaints?

Everybody has that one game, whats crucial is how early in the season it happens

ysubigred
January 15th, 2024, 08:18 AM
You should be talking SIU up Red, since it was your signature win for the entire season and it happened in early October. Just sayin'...xcoffeex

Ask the Jacks who's better, they played us both.I'll start this by. Please reread the last line of the post you quoted..

Nothing against SIU. Actually, a team I root for when YSU is out of the equation. I love coming to Carbondale for YSU vs. SIU. Most fun and best hosts on the road to flightless birds fans.

I believe we both suffer from coaching discrepancies.. to become xDSU level.

A 31- 3 loss was a clinker game for you, but a 17 - 14 loss was signature for you.

The same can be said for YSU 34 - 0 loss to the Bunnies was a clinker game for the Guins. I believe SDSU would say both teams need improved, and the SIU game was their clinker game. Hell, the Bunnies beat us worse than tOSU, and we had the Bunnies at home. Hence is why I said SDSU can beat the suckeyes.. knowing that would never happen.

Next year, the Dawgs will get redemption. YSU will be lucky to win 4 games with the talent pool left at the university, which says the expert YSU fans [emoji6]

Any Given Saturday, my friend.

Houndawg
January 15th, 2024, 09:54 AM
I'll start this by. Please reread the last line of the post you quoted..

Nothing against SIU. Actually, a team I root for when YSU is out of the equation. I love coming to Carbondale for YSU vs. SIU. Most fun and best hosts on the road to flightless birds fans.

I believe we both suffer from coaching discrepancies.. to become xDSU level.

A 31- 3 loss was a clinker game for you, but a 17 - 14 loss was signature for you.

The same can be said for YSU 34 - 0 loss to the Bunnies was a clinker game for the Guins. I believe SDSU would say both teams need improved, and the SIU game was their clinker game. Hell, the Bunnies beat us worse than tOSU, and we had the Bunnies at home. Hence is why I said SDSU can beat the suckeyes.. knowing that would never happen.

Next year, the Dawgs will get redemption. YSU will be lucky to win 4 games with the talent pool left at the university, which says the expert YSU fans [emoji6]

Any Given Saturday, my friend.

It was 17-10 and it wasn't our signature - that would have been NIU, middle-the-pack MAC, upset Boston College, won a minor bowl game.

Not dissing the jacks, I believe they should be Top 25 in the FBS polls, but OSU could have scored 100 points if they wanted to. We can play shoulda woulda next season in the 'dale ....xthumbsupx

ysubigred
January 15th, 2024, 10:03 AM
It was 17-10 and it wasn't our signature - that would have been NIU, middle-the-pack MAC, upset Boston College, won a minor bowl game.

Not dissing the jacks, I believe they should be Top 25 in the FBS polls, but OSU could have scored 100 points if they wanted to. We can play shoulda woulda next season in the 'dale ....xthumbsupxYup.. would've could've should've ended up 31-3 head to head with identical records.. OBTW.. NIU would've finished middle of the pack MVFC.. love schedule and score comparison fans as a guage of how things should've been..

I'll probably skip the 'dale game since the flightless birds are projected to suck so bad and have no chance...[emoji57]

Houndawg
January 15th, 2024, 08:44 PM
Yup.. would've could've should've ended up 31-3 head to head with identical records.. OBTW.. NIU would've finished middle of the pack MVFC.. love schedule and score comparison fans as a guage of how things should've been..

I'll probably skip the 'dale game since the flightless birds are projected to suck so bad and have no chance...[emoji57]

The voters got it right.xcoffeex

Maybe, upgrade your OOC?

ysubigred
January 15th, 2024, 09:39 PM
The voters got it right.xcoffeex

Maybe, upgrade your OOC?Beat the Guins...

Redbird 4th & short
January 16th, 2024, 05:43 AM
Beat the Guins...

I'm with Houndawg on this ... rankings shouldn't turn on one data point, unless all other things are truly equal. SIU has a slightly better overall resume IMO. They performed slightly better and against a slightly tougher schedule. The head-to-head is one data point, and for voters or computers to give that one game the most weight, would amount to an unwinnable daisy chain argument looing at single data points that could put a D-II program as FBS national champion. You both had nice seasons .. and YSU matched up well and played well in that one home game against SIU. And then the season ended for both of you in playoffs, where SIU lost at the #4 seed by 3, and YSU lost at the #8 seed by 17. But there were other data points that tilt the higher ranking in SIUs favor ... not just the NIU win on road, but they had 3 losses to top 4 seeded teams within a TD including #4 Idaho, #1 SDSU, and #3 seed USD. YSU has just one such quality loss to USD.

ysubigred
January 16th, 2024, 07:02 AM
I'm with Houndawg on this ... rankings shouldn't turn on one data point, unless all other things are truly equal. SIU has a slightly better overall resume IMO. They performed slightly better and against a slightly tougher schedule. The head-to-head is one data point, and for voters or computers to give that one game the most weight, would amount to an unwinnable daisy chain argument looing at single data points that could put a D-II program as FBS national champion. You both had nice seasons .. and YSU matched up well and played well in that one home game against SIU. And then the season ended for both of you in playoffs, where SIU lost at the #4 seed by 3, and YSU lost at the #8 seed by 17. But there were other data points that tilt the higher ranking in SIUs favor ... not just the NIU win on road, but they had 3 losses to top 4 seeded teams within a TD including #4 Idaho, #1 SDSU, and #3 seed USD. YSU has just one such quality loss to USD.But,, did they get man handled by the flightless birds?

Nova would have skull dragged Idaho or SIU.. Hey, now I'm sounding like you all with the hypothetical senerios.

I won't have to worry about this next year.. Guins might get 4 W's..

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 16th, 2024, 07:18 AM
But,, did they get man handled by the flightless birds?

Nova would have skull dragged Idaho or SIU.. Hey, now I'm sounding like you all with the hypothetical senerios.

IIRC, YSU has like 16-17 guys in the portal. How come so many? Bunch of defensive players.

ysubigred
January 16th, 2024, 07:33 AM
IIRC, YSU has like 16-17 guys in the portal. How come so many? Bunch of defensive players.I'm not too concerned.. the defense at YSU sucked ass no nice way to say it. The best guys in the xfer portal are one year of eligibility guys needing exposure, IMO.. my ears are hearing that the D coordinator is going to go nuclear on changes for next year, and some in the locker room ran. I have concerns more for the offense.

Redbird 4th & short
January 16th, 2024, 07:57 AM
But,, did they get man handled by the flightless birds?

Yes, YSU beat SIU 31-3 in week 5. As I recall, you guys got to their QB a lot that game. And that aspect was exceptional for both teams. It was one game and you guys came to play, and your defense had an exceptional game.

Houndawg
January 18th, 2024, 09:52 AM
Yes, YSU beat SIU 31-3 in week 5. As I recall, you guys got to their QB a lot that game. And that aspect was exceptional for both teams. It was one game and you guys came to play, and your defense had an exceptional game.

They did have a great game, you almost always do when your d is on the field for only 22 minutes. Long trip, bad weather, key injuries on offense, the signs were there and I think I even called it in the game thread. The only other team to put 30 on us had almost identical posession time, the difference being that NDSU was a case of the better team winning where YSU was just one of those no-show games that happen sometimes. Heck, it even happened to Michigan once years ago against a small college from Nowhere, NC..