PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Robinson Award

Herdman
December 15th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Congrats to Coach Farley!

UNI football: Farley receives Robinson award as leading coach
By Rob Gray • Register Staff Writer • December 14, 2007

Northern Iowa football coach Mark Farley is accustomed to addressing fans and the media.

But a formal speech?

"This is all new to me," Farley said about being honored Thursday as the Eddie Robinson Award winner, an annual plaudit given by the Sports Network to the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision's top coach.

He might need to get used to it.

Farley, who led the Panthers to a 12-1 mark and the first No. 1 playoff seed in school history this season, received the award at a pre-national title game banquet at Chattanooga, Tenn.

During the same event, Panthers quarterback Eric Sanders finished second in voting for the Walter Payton Award, given to the FCS's top offensive player.

Georgia Southern's Jayson Foster won the Payton Award.

"It's a humbling experience, something I'll remember for the rest of my life," said Sanders, who led the Panthers to 12 fourth-quarter or overtime comebacks in his career. "I've been surrounded by some great people."

Farley spread credit for his first national coach of the year award diffusely among many people - from his players and assistant coaches to school administrators and fans of the team.

"You're humbled and honored by it, but it's a team award," said Farley, who has led the Panthers to the playoffs four times in seven seasons. "It's a recognition of our team's accomplishments."

Farley could experience a similar sense of pleasure later this month.

He's a finalist for the FCS version of the Liberty Mutual coach of the year award and the recipient of that honor will be announced live Dec. 29 on ABC.

"There have been a lot of things that have fallen in place and a lot of people who have worked very hard," Farley said of the continued success of the program.

Farley's greatest wish: Still coaching the 2007 team in preparation of Friday's championship game, which will be played between Delaware - the team that upset the Panthers in the quarterfinals - and two-time defending champ Appalachian State.

"I feel guilty that our team's not here," said Farley, whose team lost 21-16 to the Mountaineers in the 2005 title game. "When you fly over the stadium as you come in here, you know what this award is, but at the same time, the drive behind all this was to find a way to get your football team here."