PDA

View Full Version : Why the lack of publicity?

jus10asu
December 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Just wanting to discuss everyone's thoughts on the lack of publicity for FCS (1-AA) football. IMO, this is some of the most exciting football that there is. I've been to the "Big" schools and thats all good but what's up with the extreme lack of talk about FCS. I got on ESPN's website this morning expecting to see something about App and the NC game and the main story was about LSU playing in the BCS NC game. Come on, that game isn't until January 7th!!! I understand this is mostly due to moneyxsmhx xsmhx xsmhx but its like FCS doesn't even exist.

Mntneer
December 15th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Sportscenter was running a piece about the 3 peat. I agree the coverage isn't great, but with the FCS season now over what else is there to say? There's still a whole lot more football yet to be played in that other division ;)

GSU Just One More Time
December 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM
FCS doesn't matter to most people. I agree it sux but until we can get major money to back us then were screwed. I don't know how it is at ASU but most of the students here at GSU are UGA or Tech fans. (not saying they are not GSU Fans as well) I would think it would be the same way with ya'll N.C. St. UNC. Wake fans a long with ASU?

Tailbone
December 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM
As a division, we don't exist.

I was watching the NAIA championship. The broadcasters (CSTV) were lamenting the fact that division 1 doesn't have a play-off, while all other divisions do.
Then in the next sentence made a comment about division I-AA.

It's never going to change with the way the NCAA is currently organized.

jus10asu
December 15th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Sportscenter was running a piece about the 3 peat. I agree the coverage isn't great, but with the FCS season now over what else is there to say? There's still a whole lot more football yet to be played in that other division ;)

I understand that there is a lot of football left to play and they can talk about that now and all. But I was watching sportscenter the other day and i swear they were on like a 30 minute look of the same crap for 3 straight hours while i was studying for exams. And all that was talked about was the heisman and a "Fake" made up imaginary playoff for the BCS. What is the point in that. Never once was FCS, Div II or III football mentioned even with their national title games coming up. Thats sorry if you ask me. I'm a fan of the FBS as well but lets mix it up a little why don't we. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

jus10asu
December 15th, 2007, 06:29 PM
FCS doesn't matter to most people. I agree it sux but until we can get major money to back us then were screwed. I don't know how it is at ASU but most of the students here at GSU are UGA or Tech fans. (not saying they are not GSU Fans as well) I would think it would be the same way with ya'll N.C. St. UNC. Wake fans a long with ASU?

I think a lot of people at APP are fans of teams like UNC and NC State etc. but from the people I know and from what I've seen, most ASU students are ASU fans first and foremost, then root for the others on the side.

AppStateSVX
December 15th, 2007, 06:29 PM
i'm just tired of hearing about the damn Mitchell Report

Applete
December 15th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I would just be happy if most people would stop referring to FCS as Div-II. That irritates the s#%* out of me.

jus10asu
December 15th, 2007, 06:37 PM
i'm just tired of hearing about the damn Mitchell Report

Yeah i think they could talk about the heisman, the BCS, the Mitchell report, and womens volleyball for about 8 months out of the year. And we'll throw a little bit of talk about coaching changes in there too. I wish sports center was just a 24 hour highlight reel.

appstate1998
December 15th, 2007, 08:56 PM

at App...fans are App fans...in basketball though...boone is full of UNC, State, Duke fans first then App

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2007, 09:43 PM
The 1978 split confined these schools to the "kiddie table" in the eyes of the sporting press, and thus the fan at large. It was sold as a means of giving schools a "playoff" opportunity when in fact it was an effort to consign this group to relative obscurity against many I-A schools which were not much different than they were.

As a result, "FCS" might as well mean "forgotten college schools" in today's multicasting world.

appfan2008
December 15th, 2007, 09:47 PM
for football it is all about asu and people sort of like other schools

unfortunately though... basketball is a whole other story here in the state of north carolina and tobacco road

appfan2008
December 15th, 2007, 09:49 PM
also... the thing that pisses me off the most about the publicity is the fact that it seems like d2 and d3 gets about as much if not more pub than fcs does... i hate that

GSU Just One More Time
December 15th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I can't stand the Friday Night Game. Last night they played the Ga. high school state finals. I flipped between the two games. I get up today and watch DII and DIII in the middle of the day. Maybe it is just me but App and Del should have played today at like 6pm. Why are we on friday night like High school kids? That is what pisses me off. The players should be treated better than that. If it was on Saturday I would think Chatt. would make more $ also. Fly in on Friday and out on Sunday. As it is I am sure some people flew in Friday and out Saturday. I could go on for ever about this. I just fill like Friday is for High school Football it would make me happier if it was Thursday night on ESPN. Not FRIDAY ON ESPN 2.

ASU
December 16th, 2007, 09:54 AM
The whole thing is a plan done years ago by the Big (BCS) schools to control almost all the money, prestige, recruiting, publicity, etcetra.
They really need to be sued over this issue.....It makes the other schools look bad, sound bad, poor, inferior to people, and content to take their scraps.....football in college should have 60 maximum scholarship (or something all could agree on), and maybe another division of about 20 scholarships but NOT all of these levels. They buy theirs with the TV money that roles in every year by devising their own system.....the NCAA should have said no years ago. If they try to form their own divisions then the NCAA should boycott TV, and all other media and advertisers associated with it.

ASUMountaineer
December 16th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I would just be happy if most people would stop referring to FCS as Div-II. That irritates the s#%* out of me.

I agree. Yesterday morning, in Chattanooga on Main St. the Captain D's (I know why care about that nasty place) but the sign out front said, "Welcome all great fans of Division II football." If they were open I would have gone in and shown them the game is for the Division I NC. Honestly, it's been in Chatty for how long? xmadx xoopsx

Col Hogan
December 16th, 2007, 12:25 PM
at App...fans are App fans...in basketball though...boone is full of UNC, State, Duke fans first then App

You have just answered the question posed at the begining of this thread...

App has won three NCs in a row...of course, everyone is an App fan at ASU...it's called "The Bandwagon"...

If your basketball team was in the Final Four a few years in a row, those UNC, State, and Duke fans would start to be ASU fans because they attend there...

I'd wager if I did a scientifically-sound poll at ASU I'd discover well over 50% of the student body wanted to go to UNC or State...and for one reason or another did not...They were raised UNC, State or Duke fans...

And this happens everywhere...it's not an ASU thing...

My son went to Ball State University because of a scholarship...most students there were wanna-be IU or Purdue people...

So, why the lack of publicity? Those in positions to give us publicity see the UNCs, State's and Dukes of the world as much more important...

It's the die-hard fans like us who care about our schools who wonder "where's the publicity?"

Here's a good way to explain it...in the sales of hats and shirts...

The majority of people wearing stuff from a BCS school didn't even attend...they are fans, yes...but have no emotional ties other than the sports teams...

Most people you meet wearing ASU, or UMass stuff, usually have a tie...either they attended, or a family member attended, the school...

There are exceptions to this rule...like in Montana where isolation from BCS and pro teams leads most folks to support the local university no matter what division they are in...

Either you accept it...or live constantly ticked off asking "Why the lack of publicity"... xtwocentsx xtwocentsx

bobbythekidd
December 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Either you accept it...or live constantly ticked off asking "Why the lack of publicity"... xtwocentsx xtwocentsx
Don't ya'll just love this guy? Great post djp.xthumbsupx