PDA

View Full Version : update on Catamount coaching search

catamount man
December 15th, 2007, 03:39 PM
http://catamountsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121507aaa.html

In other words, "Nothing to see here. Please move on immediately."

Second verse, same as the first. They only put this out to save what face they have left.

"Like sands in the hourglass..........." so are the days it takes us to land a good coach.

Hey Cullowhee, call me when you're serious about having a winning program.xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

Many thanks to OL FU, gold and black, and Duke John(not Roger!) for helping me last night at Bailey's as ASU once again reminded me of how crappy life can be as a Catamount. The beer and waitress helped a lot as well.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Appdad
December 15th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Hire Kelly Jolly Harper!!!

I am only half joking.

She is a great coach in the making.

catamount man
December 15th, 2007, 03:51 PM
She could definitely turn a few recruits heads!!!xeekx

blackcaesar3k5
December 15th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Sam Wyche is rumored to be interested about WCU gig..

thmst30
December 15th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Feel bad for ya, hate to see ANY SoCon teams struggle. Even our hated rivals. Hopefully you end up with someone great.

catamount man
December 16th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Feel bad for ya, hate to see ANY SoCon teams struggle. Even our hated rivals. Hopefully you end up with someone great.

John Wiley. HA!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

catamount man
December 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM
The hits just keep on coming.xsmhx xmadx xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071216/SPORTS07/71215071/1002/SPORTS

Heck, at this rate, I'M gonna apply for the job.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Eyes of Old Main
December 16th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I had previously wondered if WCU would look at Newberry's coach. Sorry to see it didn't work out.

I'd much rather see you guys get a proven D-II head coach than a FBS assistant with no head coaching experience.

bobbythekidd
December 16th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Div II, Valdosta State, just won a national championship with first year head coach David Dean. I hear they raise some good coaches there.xwhistlex xwhistlex

Eyes of Old Main
December 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Div II, Valdosta State, just won a national championship with first year head coach David Dean. I hear they raise some good coaches there.xwhistlex xwhistlex

So maybe Valdosta State could challenge Lehigh as the "Cradle of SoCon coaches".

gophoenix
December 16th, 2007, 01:58 PM
How much are you guys paying your coach? Or how much will you pay the new coach?

catamount man
December 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM
How much are you guys paying your coach? Or how much will you pay the new coach?

Base salary of $150k. The Paper had incentives for Willis totaling him out at $750k. Something is going on behind the scenes and I've heard most of the riff riff and it just constantly makes me sick.

We are an EMBARRASSMENT to FCS football.xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Mountaineer
December 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM
The whole thing is getting absurd. C'mon Cats..pick someone already. xnodx :D

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071216/COLUMNISTS12/71215072/1002/sports

At what point does the job search for a new football coach at Western Carolina evolve from a thorough process of hiring the best man for the job to the desperate act of finding someone willing to take it?

It’s been 34 days since athletic director Chip Smith fired Kent Briggs and his staff after the program plunged to laughingstock status, but it turns out the giggles were just starting.

WCU football has been a series of blunders on and off the field for more than a year, ever since Smith gave Briggs a three-year extension in Sept. 2006, one game into the last year of his contract.

The Catamounts celebrated this news by reeling off 2 wins and 19 losses over the next two seasons.

gophoenix
December 16th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Base salary of $150k. The Paper had incentives for Willis totaling him out at $750k. Something is going on behind the scenes and I've heard most of the riff riff and it just constantly makes me sick.

We are an EMBARRASSMENT to FCS football.xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Base of 150k isn't that bad. So what is the hold up then????? You guys are getting the screw job in recruiting right now.

bobbythekidd
December 16th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Base of 150k isn't that bad. So what is the hold up then????? You guys are getting the screw job in recruiting right now.
Really! If WCU waits too long no one will want to take that job.

OL FU
December 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
http://catamountsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121507aaa.html

In other words, "Nothing to see here. Please move on immediately."

Second verse, same as the first. They only put this out to save what face they have left.

"Like sands in the hourglass..........." so are the days it takes us to land a good coach.

Hey Cullowhee, call me when you're serious about having a winning program.xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

Many thanks to OL FU, gold and black, and Duke John(not Roger!) for helping me last night at Bailey's as ASU once again reminded me of how crappy life can be as a Catamount. The beer and waitress helped a lot as well.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I enjoyed it. xnodx

Are you sure it wasn't Rogerxlolx

catamount man
December 16th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I enjoyed it. xnodx

Are you sure it wasn't Rogerxlolx

xlolx xlolx Good to see you again. Hope you and the kids have a Merry Christmas!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I'd much rather see you guys get a proven D-II head coach than a FBS assistant with no head coaching experience.

Chattanooga fans have been saying the same thing for 20 years xsmhx

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM

It is always hard to get someone successful (even at a lower division) to take over a bottom dweller (and before WCU fans gets upset...the same goes for Chattanooga).

An up and coming coach has to be very careful...whoever takes over at WCU has to win or the forward progress of their coaching career is over (many just wouldn't want to take the risk)...and winning at a school that has not had success for a while is a high risk proposition.

Like I said, don't get mad at me...everything I say mirrors the problems Chattanooga will also have when they finally give R.A. the heave hoe (barring a miracle season) next year.

gophoenix
December 16th, 2007, 11:33 PM
It is always hard to get someone successful (even at a lower division) to take over a bottom dweller (and before WCU fans gets upset...the same goes for Chattanooga).

An up and coming coach has to be very careful...whoever takes over at WCU has to win or the forward progress of their coaching career is over (many just wouldn't want to take the risk)...and winning at a school that has not had success for a while is a high risk proposition.

Like I said, don't get mad at me...everything I say mirrors the problems Chattanooga will also have when they finally give R.A. the heave hoe (barring a miracle season) next year.

But we did it and The Citadel did it. I don't understand why it would be any harder at WCU or UTC. Especially considering we were far worse than you guys are now when Lembo took over.

SuperJon
December 16th, 2007, 11:35 PM
It's because they hire a guy and then a day later say, "Oh, wait, nevermind."

SuperJon
December 18th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Reading the WCU board, it just gets worse. Some of the WCU players were wanting to get together and run some drills on their own. Things were going good until the players got run off the field...

...so that the band could play a touch football game.

WCU LawCat
December 18th, 2007, 12:36 PM
The chancelor FULLY supports the band and lets them do whatever they want. They truely are outstanding....but enough is enough. Western does not have a head coach right now. Briggs didn't take control of the band situation while he was here. Hopefully a new HC will take control of our cocky band (director). WCU football is in search of a true leader and I hope this search yields just that.

catamount man
December 18th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Found out that, supposedly, the delay is due to an outside consulting firm having the majority of the pull on this one.

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

WHY THE HELL DO WE EVEN HAVE AN ATHLETIC DIRECTOR?!!!

Oh yes, Bardo and Buckner's band can go get screwed for all I care!!!xmadx xmadx

GoldandBlack
December 18th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Found out that, supposedly, the delay is due to an outside consulting firm having the majority of the pull on this one.the delay is due to an outside consulting firm having the majority of the pull on this one.

WHY THE HELL DO WE EVEN HAVE AN ATHLETIC DIRECTOR?!!!

CM, tell me you're joking on this- hiring out the decision on a head coach to a third for-profit party????xeekx

I sure hope that's an ugly rumor, and nothing more.

catamount man
December 18th, 2007, 10:35 PM
CM, tell me you're joking on this- hiring out the decision on a head coach to a third for-profit party????xeekx

I sure hope that's an ugly rumor, and nothing more.

If what my source tonight has revealed to me, it actually may be a good thing. I'm gonna PM you!xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

catamount man
December 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Just PM'ed you G&B. Enjoy!xthumbsupx

catamount man
December 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM
http://catamountsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121907aaa.html

This actually could be a good thing for Catamount football. Taking the wait and see approach.xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

catamount man
December 19th, 2007, 01:30 PM
It's because they hire a guy and then a day later say, "Oh, wait, nevermind."

While I admit the ball may have been dropped on that, believe me, there was a reason why Willis's offer was overturned.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

scbc
December 27th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Have anyone heard who is the front runner for the Western Carolina job or when are they going to start interviewing? Looks like they are going to be behind in the recruiting process unless the hire a coach that's been recruiting already and can get the recruits to come to Western.

whoanellie
December 27th, 2007, 08:18 PM
former App grad, ETSU & Elon HC, Paul Hamilton now at Brevard.Hey He might have one more year of eligibility left for his son. ;-)

walliver
December 27th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I hope this isn't some sort of back-handed way to drop football.xconfusedx

catamount man
December 28th, 2007, 06:02 PM
58 applicants have applied for the job and issues both inside and outside the hiring process led to the search firm being brought aboard.

You can kiss recruiting goodbye unless we land a coach within the next 2 weeks and he has a list that wants to come to Cullowhee. I was told that another HBCU coach has interviewed for the job(not telling which school, but it's FCS) as well.

I have been talking to people in both Carolinas and Georgia about our situation and I've been told a plethora of stories and almost every opinion is not good.

Someone mentioned if this was a back handed attempt to drop football? Only if our chancellor wants to deal with the UNC Board of Govs, loss of advertising, a major drop in male enrollment, local and state politicians calling him, and the NC National Guard called in to break up student riots....sure, he wants that.

He may indeed want to drop football, but he would have one hell of a battle to deal with. Not to mention answering to local yokels who have wondered why restaurant and hotel receivables have dropped in Jackson County, NC.

Bottom line, we will land a coach, maybe even a good one, but it's gonna take a while to get us where we want to be. I wish I could discuss more, but I can't.

Maybe someday. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AGS'ERS!!!!!!!!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

appstate38
December 28th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Hang in there Cats....

catamount man
December 28th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Hang in there Cats....

Thank you.xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

catamount man
December 28th, 2007, 10:07 PM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I'm hearing some good rumors this evening which will HOPEFULLY be true. More to come.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

MACHIAVELLI
December 28th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Joe Taylor

catamount man
December 28th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Joe Taylor

PM me quick!xthumbsupx

MACHIAVELLI
December 28th, 2007, 11:23 PM
HU's Taylor offered Western Carolina job
The Pirates coach well inform the school of his decision today.

BY MARTY O'BRIEN
Daily Press
December 28, 2007

Hampton University football coach Joe Taylor said Saturday that he is interviewing for the head coaching position at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, N.C. Taylor said that he has been offered the job and will inform Chancellor John Bardo today whether or not he will accept.

"I would not be interviewing for the job if I was not interested," Taylor said on Friday night. "As of now I have not made a decision."

Sources at Hampton University said that Florida A&M has also contacted Taylor asking for permission to interview him. Taylor would not comment on that.

Taylor is interviewing for a position that has been vacant for the past 1½ months, when former coach Kent Briggs was reassigned to another position within the university. The Catamounts have won only three games the past two seasons and are winless in the powerful Southern Conference since 2005.

According the Asheville (N.C.) Citizen-Times newspaper, the school offered the job to Newberry coach Zak Willis on Dec. 12, but then rescinded the offer. Willis told the paper that WCU did not give a reason for rescinding the offer. The school then hired one of the nation's top job search firms to help them find a coach.

Taylor has coached at Hampton University the past 16 seasons. He has compiled a 136-48-1 record and guided the Pirates to eight conference titles –- five in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and three in the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.

Taylor guided the Pirates to three consecutive MEAC titles from 2004-06. The Pirates finished 6-5 this past season.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-now-hutaylor1229,0,6135052.story

catamount man
December 28th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Thank you for posting this and I hope he takes the job!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

catamount man
December 28th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Machiavelli,

thanks for the PM.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GoldandBlack
December 30th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Sounds like the search will go on, unfortunately:

Posted: December 30, 2007

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- After missing out on its top two choices, Florida A&M plans to announce former Hampton coach Joe Taylor as its new football coach at a Monday news conference, according to school officials.

Taylor, Florida A&M President James Ammons and new athletic director Bill Hayes will be at the announcement, the Sunday release said.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=329864

appstate38
December 30th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Sounds like the search will go on, unfortunately:

Posted: December 30, 2007

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- After missing out on its top two choices, Florida A&M plans to announce former Hampton coach Joe Taylor as its new football coach at a Monday news conference, according to school officials.

Taylor, Florida A&M President James Ammons and new athletic director Bill Hayes will be at the announcement, the Sunday release said.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=329864
Sounds like things are back to square 1......xoopsx

catamount man
December 30th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Sounds like things are back to square 1......xoopsx

But maybe not for long. Stay tuned!xthumbsupx

WCU LawCat
December 30th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Out of all the rumors that have come out over the coaching hire, the one I heard tonight sounds true. The sources are much more reliable. I hope we all welcome him with open arms.

catamount man
December 30th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Out of all the rumors that have come out over the coaching hire, the one I heard tonight sounds true. The sources are much more reliable. I hope we all welcome him with open arms.

Indeed. Not somebody I was expecting, BUT, could be a good one given his work with offensive lines. Let's wait though until it's official. PLEASE! I don't think I could take another buildup only to be let down.:D :D :D

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!