PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Pre-season...a little early

Sir William
December 15th, 2007, 10:22 AM
OK, I know we are less than 24 hours since App's three-peat. But just for the fun of it, and b/c most of us are ready for the 2008 season to begin (xlolx), who are your pre-season top 3 for next year?

Montana? App State? Northern Iowa? North Dakota State? JMU? Delaware? UMass? Wofford? etc.

Tribe4SF
December 15th, 2007, 10:40 AM
ASU
Richmond
Youngstown State

skinny_uncle
December 15th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I'll get back to you when we find out who our coach is going to be.
xconfusedx

FCS Preview
December 15th, 2007, 10:48 AM
App State has to be the pre-season favorite with Edwards still on the team...

WrenFGun
December 15th, 2007, 10:49 AM
ASU, Richmond, JMU.

SuperJon
December 15th, 2007, 10:50 AM
ASU
Richmond
Youngstown State

Wow, we're playing one, maybe two of those teams.

skinny_uncle
December 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM
ASU
Richmond
Youngstown State
I doubt the Penguins with their QB graduating.

slostang
December 15th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I do not think that Cal Poly will start in the top 3, but I think they have a great shot of finishing there. They return 10 starters on an offense that led the FCS in 2007 in yards per game (487 yd/game) and was sixth in scoring (39.7 pts/game). The return the highest rate QB in Jonathan Dally (197 QB rating) who threw for 2,238 yards, 29 TDs and only 5 INTS and he ran for 763 yards and another 12 TDs. Cal Poly also return one of the top WR in Ramses Barden and one of the better group of running backs with James Noble, Ryan Mole and Jon Hall.

Cal Poly struggled early in 2007 with a young defense, but they started to gel at the end of the year and return 8 starters in 2008. Cal Poly usually has one of the top defenses in the FCS and I expect they will be back towards the top on defense in 2008.

We will know how good they are early seeing that they open with San Diego State, Montana and McNeese State in the first three games. They also play NDSU, SDSU and UC Davis.

NDSUFREAK
December 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM
App State
UNI
Montana

NDSU top 5 or 6 just because of losing Joe Mays, Nate Safe, and Steve Walker....but then again next year might be the best year for an NDSU football team. The running game will be incredibly scary good as well and will be the best running game in the nation.

eagle1
December 15th, 2007, 11:27 AM
EWU (depending on who is hired as the next HC)
NDSU
APP State

McNeese75
December 15th, 2007, 11:31 AM
EWU (depending on who is hired as the next HC) And who you have in the stable to replace those 4 senior OL xnodx
NDSU
APP State

Nichols is going to need protection to continue with his current success

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 12:11 PM
App State
Richmond
Villanova (ambitious)

Reasoning, Next Year Villanova returns 17 of 22 and about 38 out of 44 on the 2 deep, our kicker comes back, so does the punter... we're set

appstate1998
December 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Western Carolina
Towson
Northern Colorado

the year of the underdog

WrenFGun
December 15th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I like the mentions of Villanova and Eastern Washington. Both of those teams should be very good next season. As I've mentioned before, the CAA South is absolutely loaded. JMU will have to play Villanova, UD and UR, in addition to UMass, next season. What a gauntlet for all members of the South with the exception of Nova, who misses out on UMass (though they do get UNH).

EWU is so young and good that they should surely improve. I hope for more from Elon next year, too. Should finally see some change near the top!

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 12:32 PM
The big question mark is how Antwon Young bounces back from his Torn ACL.. if he still has mobility we are ok..
i think we have a ton of potential

Eight Legger
December 15th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Richmond's schedule is looking pretty favorable. We get JMU, Towson and Delaware at home next year, though we do go to Villanova. We also open at Elon, so we'll see how they look early. The next week we go to UVA to beat the Cavs.

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I enjoy Playing Richmond.. they're really the only other CAA school that is comparable to us..

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 15th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I enjoy Playing Richmond.. they're really the only other CAA school that is comparable to us..

William & Mary xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Eight Legger
December 15th, 2007, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=UNH_Alum_In_CT;802009]William & Mary xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

I think he meant "great academically and very good at football." In which case, he's dead on...

:D xcoffeex

spelunker64
December 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Western Carolina
Towson
Northern Colorado

the year of the underdog

:D :D :D

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Speaking of comparable schools, I'm still waiting for the chance for Talley to add Georgetown to the schedule, which appears to be slim and none.

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I'd like to see that happen.. it might get people into our stands..

th0m
December 15th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I like the mentions of Villanova and Eastern Washington. Both of those teams should be very good next season. As I've mentioned before, the CAA South is absolutely loaded. JMU will have to play Villanova, UD and UR, in addition to UMass, next season. What a gauntlet for all members of the South with the exception of Nova, who misses out on UMass (though they do get UNH).

EWU is so young and good that they should surely improve. I hope for more from Elon next year, too. Should finally see some change near the top!

And JMU has ASU at home next year as well! UMass, UD, ASU, Richmond, Villanova, Hofstra xwhistlex Good thing we scheduled a winnable FBS game against Duke xlolx

Seawolf97
December 15th, 2007, 03:58 PM
The discussions on new recruits, who has the toughest schedule, any good transfers coming into the ranks -etc. Before you know it spring camp will be here

FurmanPaladins4138
December 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Look for Furman to return to the playoffs next year. Jordan Sorrells will (presumably) be starting at quarterback for his first year, but he already has plenty of experience playing for an injured Renaldo Gray. He has a good arm and should complement Furmans very speedy receivers well. Cedric Gipson is a quite good running back, as well.

If Furman can get their defensive act together, I think they can go a long way in 08. It'll be 20 years since our last (and only) NC... I think we're ripe for another :)

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I think its just about as much guesswork now as it is at the beginning of the season

appfan2008
December 15th, 2007, 04:10 PM
ASU has to be #1 preseason next year... they only lose at a few positions but have great backups at each of those positions... armanti and many other greats will be back...

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 04:15 PM
not to mention you guys will recruit like a WAC school

alexale23
December 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM
JMU IS GOING TO WIN IT ALL

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Isn't it past your bedtime?

alexale23
December 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM
No its 530 u dumba$$. i got to get in one quick trip by your moms

Fresno St. Alum
December 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM
There we got you at 11 red dots now. If you start to like it too much we'll put you back down to 2 or 3 red dots

LehighFan11
December 15th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I dont know about Nova in the top 3. They surely will be great next year if Young is healthy. The highest I think they would be ranked is 10. I'm looking forward to Lehigh going back down to Villanova.

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Your team had that beast of a QB... he should be hard to replace

Mountain Panther
December 15th, 2007, 05:56 PM
UNI returns six starters on offense and seven on defense. Punter and kicker also back.

Biggest loss is Sanders but Pat Grace (will be a junior) is 6'2" 235 with a cannon for an arm.

Lose four out of five starting O-Line but the backups from this year go 301, 309, 325 & 282 (and they played a lot this year and last).

We really need a stud transfer LB, DE or SS.

umassfan
December 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM
UMass will be stacked again next season. We lose just 3 players on D and 5 on O. As we proved last year... we have started to reload not rebuild in Amherst.

Key losses:
JJ Moore
Racheed Rancher
Matt Lawrence
Matt Austin
David Burris
Jason Hatchell
Charles Walker

Key returns:
Liam Coen QB
Tony Nelson RB
All four of our Secondary
3 DLinemen
2 LBers who saw alot of playing time

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Any idea if the UR/Umass game will be up there or down here?

GrizRchattybound
December 15th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Appy
App State
ASU

Take your pick, until "Amazing" Edwards graduates, they are pretty much unbeatable when he is there and healthy.

proasu89
December 15th, 2007, 07:04 PM
App State
UNI
Montana

NDSU top 5 or 6 just because of losing Joe Mays, Nate Safe, and Steve Walker....but then again next year might be the best year for an NDSU football team. The running game will be incredibly scary good as well and will be the best running game in the nation.

Looking forward to the Dakotas joining in on the playoff fun.

WrenFGun
December 15th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I'm pretty unwilling to give any team with an inexperienced QB much love in the top three next year. If you look at the playoff teams, most were using experienced QB's. It's a lot of pressure to put on a player without much experience, hence my hesitation with NDSU and UNI, along with my reservations about UNH (there are bound to be games you just scratch your head..)..

Of course, there's always Ricky Santos, Armanti Edwards and Rodney Landers who are very good from the get go.

RazorEdge19
December 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Team #1
Team #2
Team #3

I personally think you can't begin to reasonably speculate about a season until you hit April. Simply too many variables. App is surely #1 and should be as 3-time defending champs, but everyone else should wait to make their cases for their 2008 chances until April....

ur2k
December 15th, 2007, 07:17 PM
It all starts with App State, everything else is TBD. Hopefully Richmond can put together another season like this one. Although starting on the road against Elon and I-64 West (UVA) should be tough.

Jerbearasu
December 15th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Let the campaign of "Go Four Moore" begin... Richmond is another great pick being so young and then I always have to put Montana in there because you know they will have home field advantage in the playoffs...

RazorEdge19
December 15th, 2007, 07:32 PM
and I always have to put Montana in there because you know they will have home field advantage in the playoffs...

So? xwhistlex xwhistlex

JayJ79
December 15th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Let the campaign of "Go Four Moore" begin... Richmond is another great pick being so young and then I always have to put Montana in there because you know they will have home field advantage in the playoffs...

and how many times has ASU played on the road in the playoffs?

GrizzlyEdd
December 15th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Anyone who has Montana in the top five to start 2008 is nuts... Replacing 20+ seniors, half the defense, and the most effective part of the offense should get Montana .... ummmm... maybe in the top 15.... With the emergence of EWU this year and tough games against Weber St and Portland St, the Griz may not even win the conference or make the playoffs next year....

This will make me very unpopular with my fellow Griz fans but I honestly feel this is an accurate/realistic evaluation of the 2008 Griz. xeekx

appstate1998
December 15th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I forget is Georgia or Florida on App's 08 schedule? or neither?

Go...gate
December 15th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I'll talk to you after I find out if Colgate is less a couple of players.

NDSUFREAK
December 15th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Looking forward to the Dakotas joining in on the playoff fun.

So am I. xnodx xnodx xnodx xhurrayx

ERASU2113
December 15th, 2007, 08:52 PM
OK, I know we are less than 24 hours since App's three-peat. But just for the fun of it, and b/c most of us are ready for the 2008 season to begin (xlolx), who are your pre-season top 3 for next year?

Montana? App State? Northern Iowa? North Dakota State? JMU? Delaware? UMass? Wofford? etc.

1. ASU
2. UNI
3. NDSU

ERASU2113
December 15th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I forget is Georgia or Florida on App's 08 schedule? or neither?

Neither. I think Florida is '09, LSU in '10, and Georgia in '11.

Not sure if those years are right but none of them are on the schedule for next year.

LSU was, but backed out and moved it to a later date.

BDKJMU
December 15th, 2007, 10:24 PM
App State
Richmond
Villanova (ambitious)

Reasoning, Next Year Villanova returns 17 of 22 and about 38 out of 44 on the 2 deep, our kicker comes back, so does the punter... we're set

-UR also returns 17 starters
- JMU 17-18 (10 offense, 7-8 defense) of 22 (depending on one of the de ends- some eligibility issue), 37-38 of 44 PLUS Holloman, All A-10 tailback from 06' who went out for the season after week 2. Will probably a lot better than this season when lost to UR by 1, UD by 3, ASU by 1, mainly due to turnovers. Will be JMUs deepest, most talented ever, as about as veteran as the 04' NC team. Could even survive a few injuries to make a Chatty run, as long as it wasn't Rodney Landers.

BDKJMU
December 15th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Western Carolina
Towson
Northern Colorado

the year of the underdog

Towson, don't see it happening. Do have Schaeffer back, but lose too much on defense. This is how I think the coaches & media types will pick the CAA South pre season.
1. UR (17 starters back)
2. JMU (17-18 starters back (depending on Wahid). 37/38 of 44 on 2 deep + Holloman
3. Nova (17 starters back (8 offense, 9 defense from their UD game. It willbe Young back at QB instead of the freshman filling in).
4. UD (15 starters back from JMU game notes, but loses Flacco, Cuff, 3 seniors on o-line. Have 9 starters back from a mediocre defense).
5. W&M (18 starters back from the JMU game notes (8 from a really good offense, including Phillips, who will probably throw for about a billion yards, 10 from a bad defense). Plus some injured guys from both sides of the ball.
6. Towson (13 starters back from JMU game notes, 9 on offense but only 4 on defense). Know they've got some injured guys back.

CAA South will be loaded. I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 of 6 have winning records. By my count:
CAA South teams finished 27-21 in conference 07' (12-6 against the CAA North).
CAA North teams conversely finished 21-27 in conference, (6 and 12 against the South).
I wouldn't be surprised to see it at least as lopsided if not more so in 08'.

BDKJMU
December 15th, 2007, 10:44 PM
ASU has to be #1 preseason next year... they only lose at a few positions but have great backups at each of those positions... armanti and many other greats will be back...

ASU will be pre season #1, but ASU loses more than "at a few positions". Against JMU I counted 4 senior starters in the secondary and 6 senior starters on offense, 12 starters slated to return. Course, I'd probably rather have Edwards among 5 senior starters back than have 7 or 8 starters with no Edwards. He's worth several returning starters by himself. Course, I'm sure, like most teams, ASU will have the majority of their 2 deep guys back.

The big wildcard for everyone is I-A transfers. 1st time in a # of years JMU didn't have one, at least that played.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 15th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Towson, don't see it happening. Do have Schaeffer back, but lose too much on defense. This is how I think the coaches & media types will pick the CAA South pre season.
1. UR (17 starters back)
2. JMU (17-18 starters back (depending on Wahid). 37/38 of 44 on 2 deep + Holloman
3. Nova (17 starters back (8 offense, 9 defense from their UD game. It willbe Young back at QB instead of the freshman filling in).
4. UD (15 starters back from JMU game notes, but loses Flacco, Cuff, 3 seniors on o-line. Have 9 starters back from a mediocre defense).
5. W&M (18 starters back from the JMU game notes (8 from a really good offense, including Phillips, who will probably throw for about a billion yards, 10 from a bad defense). Plus some injured guys from both sides of the ball.
6. Towson (13 starters back from JMU game notes, 9 on offense but only 4 on defense). Know they've got some injured guys back.

CAA South will be loaded. I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 of 6 have winning records. By my count:
CAA South teams finished 27-21 in conference 07' (12-6 against the CAA North).
CAA North teams conversely finished 21-27 in conference, (6 and 12 against the South).
I wouldn't be surprised to see it at least as lopsided if not more so in 08'.

I suspect you are about right on the predicted order.

The good news for JMU is our game is down here. It seems the road team has dominated the series recently. Hopefully, it won't be Homecoming!

Villanova benefits from playing Northeastern and Rhode Island.

How much does Hofstra return?

BDKJMU
December 15th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I suspect you are about right on the predicted order.

The good news for JMU is our game is down here. It seems the road team has dominated the series recently. Hopefully, it won't be Homecoming!

Villanova benefits from playing Northeastern and Rhode Island.

How much does Hofstra return?

Don't follow the North as much. Spent enough time looking up CAA South. Too lazy too look up Hofstra. Anyone? Playoffs go to 18 next season, but I highly doubt the CAA gets 5 in again. The usual is 2-3 in a 16 team field. 18 team field, I think it will be 4 teams, 3 from the South, 1 from the North, probably UMass.

LarryBoy
December 15th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Look for Furman to return to the playoffs next year. Jordan Sorrells will (presumably) be starting at quarterback for his first year, but he already has plenty of experience playing for an injured Renaldo Gray. He has a good arm and should complement Furmans very speedy receivers well. Cedric Gipson is a quite good running back, as well.

If Furman can get their defensive act together, I think they can go a long way in 08. It'll be 20 years since our last (and only) NC... I think we're ripe for another :)

A couple of things:

Injury is the only thing that will prevent Sorrells from starting out of the gate next year, and I expect two almost-Ingle-Martin-like years out of him. It's been a long time since we've had a quarterback that knows our offense this well, and he already has about a season's worth of starting experience under his belt.

Cedric Gipson actually graduates this year, but, as much as I liked Cedric, no tears are being shed here. The three-headed attack of Mike Brown, Stephan LaFrance, and R-Fr. Adrian Baker will make this past season's rushing attack look pitiful (and that attack included Jerome Felton). We'll also throw out our best group of receivers in recent memory, should be much faster in the defensive secondary, and return almost all of a d-line with the most sacks in the SoCon, and almost all of an O-line that allowed the least. Obviously, I believe we'll be quite talented next year.

But honestly, even with all of that talent, Furman could still struggle to go 6-5 next year. Our schedule is BRUTAL. We get BOTH NC participants (at App and home vs. Delaware), Virginia Tech, a game at Colgate (We are awful in road games up north), and road trips to Wofford and to the Scott Riddle show at Elon. The only "sure" win we have next year is Western Carolina, and heck, even that could go badly.

My optimistic prediction is that Furman will finish 8-3 and second in the SoCon, with losses to Virginia Tech, App, and our annual "what the crap?" loss. I'm banking on Furman's usually-reliable home-field advantage to help get the job done against the Hens.

To answer the actual question:

1. App State
2. NDSU
3. UNI

seantaylor
December 15th, 2007, 10:59 PM
GSU will be better next year than they were this year(only team to beat Appy at home). We need to replace Foster and our Oline, but we are loaded everywhere else. The entire two deep from the defense is back. A great RB combo with Zeke and Hamilton, and some good WR's. If Billy Lowe can develop at QB, we will be very good.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 16th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Who are the 3 best QB's in the nation? --AND, who has a pass rush? The best combination of those two will AGAIN be #1, #2, #3.

thmst30
December 16th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I'm curious to see if Elon can build on their success this year. Certainly got a QB that will win them some games.

JmuSkinsfan
December 16th, 2007, 01:27 AM
#1 ASU
#2 JMU
#3 UR / NDSU

JMU returns 10/11 starters on offense (not including Holloman, as mentioned above was all A-10 in 2006 before going out for the season and getting redshirted in week 2. Lose DT Baranowsky and All-American and 4 year starter Lezotte at Safety. Young CBs and DL rotation should keep the defense as good as it has been in recent years.

I don't know too much about who is returning starters. As we all know, unlike FBS we don't have to worry about players leaving early. I am not sure what the deal is with NDSU...I know they've had 2 great years in a row, but don't know if that is due to one player or just a great rotation of players coming in.

It's really quite early to be judging this stuff, but I think it is going to be hard not to have ASU and JMU 1/2 to start the season. JMU was the only team in the playoffs to really play ASU tough...and actually, beat ASU except for "the play." Either way, with the season they had this year (lose to UD by 3 while having -4 turnover margin...to UR by 1 in the worst game ever played by JMU in recent memory...and by 1 to ASU as a result of "the play" and a loss to FBS UNC. Add to that that they return 10/11 on that potent offense and 7-8 on defense and they should be set at #2 right behind ASU.

WHAT A GAME that will be come last September when ASU travels to Harrisonburg, Va to take on JMU. Probably going to be the biggest home game to date in JMU history...and should be an amazing atmosphere.

JmuSkinsfan
December 16th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Who are the 3 best QB's in the nation? --AND, who has a pass rush? The best combination of those two will AGAIN be #1, #2, #3.

Is Jayson Foster a Jr. or Sr? Again, I'm not really THAT up to date on top QBs around the FCS level as far as who is graduating or not. However, UD loses Flacco, UNH loses Santos and SIU loses Erik Sanders. And let's not forget about Rhett Bomar of SMU. While we really haven't seen much of him...we can't count him out of the top QBs quite yet...

Right now, IMHO (and this is without knowing Foster's status)...

#1: Edwards
#2: Foster / Landers
#3: Landers / Bomar

Herdman
December 16th, 2007, 01:35 AM
UNI will be interesting because they do loose a lot from this year's team. Top 10 yes, top three I don't think so.

Pre-season Top 3 I'd have to say:
1) ASU
2) Richmond
3) SIU or NDSU

JmuSkinsfan
December 16th, 2007, 01:39 AM
UNI will be interesting because they do loose a lot from this year's team. Top 10 yes, top three I don't think so.

1) ASU
2) Richmond
3) SIU or NDSU

I know we lost to UR and UD in the regular season. I am not trying to take anything away from their fans and the teams for those wins, however, anyone who saw those games knew JMU (aside from turnovers) was ultimately the better team.

If you use the play against ASU, the ultimate champs, as a measuring stick, JMU ranks above UR and UD as they actually (again, without "the play") beat ASU at the Rock. UD couldn't hang with ASU on a neutral field and UR "kinda" hung with ASU at the Rock. That, and JMU returns the same amount of starters as UR, which is why I say JMU over Richmond for a top 3 spot. Either way, JMU and Richmond should both be top 5 teams...

FargoBison
December 16th, 2007, 01:42 AM
NDSU returns....
7/11 on offense
8/11 on defense

D-line and secondary should be much improved, really like what we have coming back on defense. On offense, Roehl and everyone but a few lineman and Steve Walker return. Walker will be hard to replace but Nick Mertans his replacement will have all the same weapons to work with.

Cincy App
December 16th, 2007, 07:06 AM
and how many times has ASU played on the road in the playoffs?

ASU is 20-12 in the playoffs. 19 of those games have been played in Boone, 10 on the road, and 3 at a neutral site.

I would expect that both Montana and GSU have a higher % of home games in the playoffs. Good teams and good fanbases determine playoff sites. Also, homefield doesn't mean everything. Ask UNI, McNeese St, Montana and SIU this year.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 16th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I know we lost to UR and UD in the regular season. I am not trying to take anything away from their fans and the teams for those wins, however, anyone who saw those games knew JMU (aside from turnovers) was ultimately the better team.

If you use the play against ASU, the ultimate champs, as a measuring stick, JMU ranks above UR and UD as they actually (again, without "the play") beat ASU at the Rock. UD couldn't hang with ASU on a neutral field and UR "kinda" hung with ASU at the Rock. That, and JMU returns the same amount of starters as UR, which is why I say JMU over Richmond for a top 3 spot. Either way, JMU and Richmond should both be top 5 teams...

Any word if Sports Network will be releasing a 'Top 25 If not for Turnovers Poll' next week? xeyebrowx

Ud1Hens
December 16th, 2007, 08:41 AM
It's not like those turnovers happened on their own...UD/ASU/UR caused those turnovers, thus were the better team in that aspect. Yes, it is frustrating when your team gives the game away or does dumb things that add to them losing but you can't say A+B=C.

Pantherpower
December 16th, 2007, 09:30 AM
What the hell, I'll give it a shot...

1) ASU--QB Edwards is obviously the difference maker--may end up like McNair and get on the Heisman scene--Yes, there is a precedent there.

2) Richmond--Landers is very impressive--Defense needs a little more speed as they were exposed somewhat in the ASU game.

3) JMU--If coach doesn't get in the way, JMU could go far next year. HUGE offensive line...reminded me of UNI's--unfortunately 4/5 of our O-line graduated:(

Eight Legger
December 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM

We were also the better team against Towson, but they got lucky and scored a TD on the last play of the game to win by 2. I also think we proved that we were better than Vanderbilt, it's just that they had the good fortune to outscore us by 25 or so in the second half. But anyone who was there would definitely say we were better. Also, that ASU game would have totally gone our way if Grayson hadn't fumbled in the first half and given ASU another TD, and then also if ASU hadn't scored those two last fluke TDs....

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Spider
December 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM

We obviously didn't see the same game. Turnovers are a big part of the game and if you can't manage them, you sometimes lose. You were not the better team the day we beat you!

santosballnewhampshire
December 16th, 2007, 11:36 AM
what about unh..... def. was very young this year and with the exccpetion of santos offesnse will not be too bad...... R.J. toman is a very impressive Q he proved that this year vs. delaware. Overall deffense doesnt lose too many guys and offense can still be great

JmuSkinsfan
December 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM
We obviously didn't see the same game. Turnovers are a big part of the game and if you can't manage them, you sometimes lose. You were not the better team the day we beat you!

Yeah, I know what you guys are saying. And again, I'm really not trying to take anything away from your wins. It was just frustrating for me as a fan to lose two close conference games, get sent on the road to ASU in round one, essentially win that game at the Rock, and then sit home to watch the rest of the playoffs from my couch.

Turnovers are part of the game, so I'm not trying to make excuses. Ah, if only Eugene Holloman hadn't gotten hurt and our trio of young freshmen had more experience and knew how to hold onto the ball :(

Either way, Holloman will be back as a RS senior and the fumbling issues will not be as prevalent. If I am opposing teams next year I am going to try and figure out how to stop the Landers / Holloman show. The Landers / ____ insert name here show was awesome this year...and now you add a year of experience to Landers and a 2006 all A-10 running back into the mix...xrotatehx

Polar Bear
December 16th, 2007, 11:38 AM
NDSU returns....
7/11 on offense
8/11 on defense

D-line and secondary should be much improved, really like what we have coming back on defense. On offense, Roehl and everyone but a few lineman and Steve Walker return. Walker will be hard to replace but Nick Mertans his replacement will have all the same weapons to work with.

Ouch my son was a senior on the D-Line, I will remove the dagger in my heart and not take it personal.xbawlingx

DTSpider
December 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM
UR actually returns more than 17 starters. The stat was that this year, 17 of 22 starters were freshmen or sophomores. UR returns 18 starters plus both kickers. In addition, UR brings back 2 preseason all-conference guys who missed this year. Although, vote us low to start the year, we do better as underdogs.

ASU is clearly the preseason #1 for next year.

Eyes of Old Main
December 16th, 2007, 01:20 PM
My optimistic prediction is that Furman will finish 8-3 and second in the SoCon, with losses to Virginia Tech, App, and our annual "what the crap?" loss.

I choose to read that as Virginia Tech, App and Wofford. xlolx

FurmanPaladins4138
December 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=LarryBoy;802945]A couple of things:
My optimistic prediction is that Furman will finish 8-3 and second in the SoCon, with losses to Virginia Tech, App, and our annual "what the crap?" loss. I'm banking on Furman's usually-reliable home-field advantage to help get the job done against the Hens.]

Yeah, so we'll lose to VT (obviously)...but i mean, sometime, if Furman wants to be good, they have to win big games. They have the talent to do it.

Oh, if we could only avoid the "what the crap" loss...
I'm looking forward to the Delaware game.

uofmman1122
December 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
1. ASU - No way they're not #1
2. JMU - I think they've got a good shot next year
3. EWU - Scariest team in 2008, methinks.

I'd put Montana maybe #5 or #6, but they've been shown love before based on prestige, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were given a (little undeserved) top 3 spot.

X-Factor
December 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Ouch my son was a senior on the D-Line, I will remove the dagger in my heart and not take it personal.xbawlingx

Oh, I don't think FargoBison's comment should be taken as a dis to any singular player on the defensive line, the guys really did play great this year. BUT he is correct when saying the NDSU d-line is very young and should be a heck of a lot better next year with most of the unit returning and adding experience. Depth is going to be the biggest difference for next year. There will just be a lot more players to work with at the position.

Polar Bear
December 16th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Oh, I don't think FargoBison's comment should be taken as a dis to any singular player on the defensive line, the guys really did play great this year. BUT he is correct when saying the NDSU d-line is very young and should be a heck of a lot better next year with most of the unit returning and adding experience. Depth is going to be the biggest difference for next year. There will just be a lot more players to work with at the position.

No offense was taken my post was a joking response to FargoBison's post. Its all good. xthumbsupx

chanharrison
December 16th, 2007, 03:17 PM
ok my take

1. ASU... but there are a lot graduating.. so will have to see.. ( ok I am a homer)
2. JMU.... That team was awesome......
3. North Dakota State... finally are playoff eligible.. they are darn good and a scary team...
4. Richmond... a solid young core.. this team will be around for a while..
5. Eastern Washingon...depending on new head coach.. this team has great potential...
6. Montana... do not know much about them but they are always in the picture...
7. UNI.. same as above

i agree with an earlier poster... Elon has some good potential and could be considered the up and comer of the Southern Conference..

any clue how Wofford will be next year.. they were the best DL and OL i have seen all year when they played app.. with that kind of base you will have a good team..

ElonPride
December 16th, 2007, 03:28 PM
ok my take

1. ASU... but there are a lot graduating.. so will have to see.. ( ok I am a homer)
3. North Dakota State... finally are playoff eligible.. they are darn good and a scary team...
5. Eastern Washingon...depending on new head coach.. this team has great potential...
7. UNI.. same as above

i agree with an earlier poster... Elon has some good potential and could be considered the up and comer of the Southern Conference..

any clue how Wofford will be next year.. they were the best DL and OL i have seen all year when they played app.. with that kind of base you will have a good team..

I would think that we'll make some noise. Elon returns 18 starters.

WrenFGun
December 16th, 2007, 04:05 PM
what about unh..... def. was very young this year and with the exccpetion of santos offesnse will not be too bad...... R.J. toman is a very impressive Q he proved that this year vs. delaware. Overall deffense doesnt lose too many guys and offense can still be great

Frankly, after what people saw of UNH's defense, I wouldn't expect much mention, and at best, I would expect to be on the bottom half of the top 25. If people do their homework, they'll realize that UNH has an "easier" schedule than they had last season, though as we've come to find out, no game in the CAA is a cakewalk, particularly with SO QB in his first full-season, with career wins over UD and Iona.

In addition, sure, UNH has a lot of guys returning on defense, but they were awful last season, so there isn't much room for excitement. Not to mention, UNH loses their best three defensive players (Pammer, Karim and Wright). I'm excited about the DT (Young, Long and Taylor), LB (Jackson, Parent and Ware) and DB (Klein, McGuiness, Duper, Souza, Vasso and Clements) positions, but DE needs a lot of work if we're going to improve. UNH generates no pass rush and less containment, and I blame our undersized DE's on both fronts. They need to get bigger and better, and that means improvement from Maroney and Peters and a lot of development from the other young players.

UNH should be just as good on offense next year. Plenty of WR depth, a very versatile, athletic and mobile QB, and a home-run threat in Kackert, if he can avoid running directly into the first person he sees. With games against W&M, Towson, Northeastern, UMaine, Hofstra and URI, along with UMass and 'Nova, they have some definite ability to do serious damage in the CAA. I've mentioned before, but I like them to be favored heading into six of those eight. With a winnable FBS game against Army and OOC games against Albany and Darmouth, this team has what it takes to make the playoffs again. Do they have what it takes to win in the playoffs? That depends on the defense and the ability to run the football.

NYJMUSupporter
December 16th, 2007, 07:25 PM
#1 ASU
#2 JMU
#3 UR
#4 NDSU
#5 EWU

I really believe that JMU has a tremendous shot at winning the title next year. After such a tough loss at APP State, our players are going to go into next year with an insane amount of purpose. They believe that they should have won the National Title this year and they are going to want their revenge. Rodney Landers is also going to have a few new weapons at his disposal. I expect him to be a vastly improved passer, which should really make our offense next to unstoppable. Once again, I think it will come down to turnovers. The only team other than UNC that beat JMU this year, was JMU. If we had held onto the ball, we would have been the ones celebrating in Chatty. Ball control will have to be the focus of our off season training.

Grabholdofyosef
December 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM
ASU will be pre season #1, but ASU loses more than "at a few positions". Against JMU I counted 4 senior starters in the secondary and 6 senior starters on offense, 12 starters slated to return. Course, I'd probably rather have Edwards among 5 senior starters back than have 7 or 8 starters with no Edwards. He's worth several returning starters by himself. Course, I'm sure, like most teams, ASU will have the majority of their 2 deep guys back.

The big wildcard for everyone is I-A transfers. 1st time in a # of years JMU didn't have one, at least that played.
Of the starters, ASU loses

3 of 5 OL (2Gs and the center), RB, TE, top2 WRs on offense

and on defense

the entire defensive backfield

and on special teams the kicker

I believe they return 20 of 22 second stringers including moore at RB who should fill in nicely for richardson. I think the WRs should be fine, but I am worried about the offensive line and the defensive backfiled without lynch.

ur2k
December 16th, 2007, 08:03 PM
We were also the better team against Towson, but they got lucky and scored a TD on the last play of the game to win by 2. I also think we proved that we were better than Vanderbilt, it's just that they had the good fortune to outscore us by 25 or so in the second half. But anyone who was there would definitely say we were better. Also, that ASU game would have totally gone our way if Grayson hadn't fumbled in the first half and given ASU another TD, and then also if ASU hadn't scored those two last fluke TDs....

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

And if we didn't give up that last minute 1st half long fluke TD in the JMU game, it wouldn't have even been a game for them to fumble away at the end.

stevdock
December 16th, 2007, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=JmuSkinsfan;803035]#1 ASU
#2 JMU
#3 UR / NDSU

JMU returns 10/11 starters on offense (not including Holloman, as mentioned above was all A-10 in 2006 before going out for the season and getting redshirted in week 2. Lose DT Baranowsky and All-American and 4 year starter Lezotte at Safety. Young CBs and DL rotation should keep the defense as good as it has been in recent years.

I don't know too much about who is returning starters. As we all know, unlike FBS we don't have to worry about players leaving early. I am not sure what the deal is with NDSU...I know they've had 2 great years in a row, but don't know if that is due to one player or just a great rotation of players coming in.
QUOTE]

NDSU has had a few great players at key positions, QB and MLB. But the most important thing is the rotation of bringing in new players. This will ultimately be the key to next year as we will probably be starting sophomores in both positions next year. Bohl has insisted on creating depth at all positions and the last two years we have really seen it but it's got to continue for us to have a chance next year. I have seen alot of people put us in the top 3. I would say that's a little high with a new QB, but I think we will definitely be there by the end of the year. More realistic to start is us around 7 or 8.

bostonspider
December 16th, 2007, 10:13 PM
JMU can say they "fumbled" away the game versus UR, but two straight UR turnovers on their first two drives of the second half are what put JMU back in the game. Turnovers go both ways, just because JMU's came a little later, does not mean it was anymore costly.

RazorEdge19
December 16th, 2007, 10:15 PM
ok my take

7. UNI.. same as above

Wofford brings back 5 of their front seven on defense but has quality people to replace them.

On offensive line, they lose two I think. And word has it that the two guys stepping in are actually better then the seniors leaving...

Could be interesting if Wofford can build off of that.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2007, 11:33 PM

1) ASU
2) Richmond
3) SIU or NDSU

Take the 2nd round of the playoffs, final 8 teams, plus JMU, UNH, Montana, and McNeese and NDSU. Those will probably be your final 13 in this years standings. Your top 5 will be ASU followed by the next 4 teams with a returning QB with the most starters returning. I took a look at most teams depth charts listed on their football websites, most of them pre season depth charts, which I realize aren't totally accurate, because of this guy beating out that guy, and this guy being injured, etc, but its all I had to go on for teams I'm not familiar with.
With QB returning:
-ASU: JMU game depth chart showed only 5 starters returning on offense, including Superman, plus entire front 7 on defense (but entire secondary seniors).
-UR: 17 starters back including Ward at QB)
-JMU: 17-18 starters back (awaiting eligibility status of defensive end). 10 starters back offense, including Landers at QB, PLUS an all conference tailback Holloman who was out for the season after the 2nd game. On entire offensive 2 deep only lose LC Baker at receiver who missed about 1/2 the season anyway, and tightend who started some games. 7-8 starters back on defense.
-UMass: Coen is back at QB but I looked at their pre season media guide depth chart and counted 4 senior starters on defense and 8 on offense. I know they always get lots of transfers though.
-Montana: depth chart for the Wofford game shows 8 starters returning on offense, including the QB, but only 3 on defense.
-EWU shows their qb returning, 6 starters on offense, but lose 4 on o-line. Shows 7 returning on defense.
-McNeese media guide depth chart shows their qb returning, but only 5 on offense and 4 on defense.

QB a senior
-UD loses Flacco, Cuff, 3 o-line starters, has 9 starters back on defense
-UNH loses Santos. Even though their #2 guy Toman supposedly the real deal, he still has to prove himself over a season. They're not going to be top 10 preseason.
-Wofford: I looked at the depth chart they had listed on their web site that showed 6 starters back on offense, 8 on defense, but their qb is a senior
-UNI: Depth chart shows 6 returning starters on offense, but loses Sanders at QB and 4 o lineman. Shows 7 returning on defense
-SIU : Delaware game depth chart shows 6 returning starters on offense, but loses Hill at QB. Shows 8 starters returning on defense.
-NDSU: pre season depth chart shows 7 starters returning on offense, but qb is a senior. Shows 8 returning on defesne.

None of the other candidates for top 5 depth charts show the # of starters returning that UR and JMU do, much less their QB. So thats how I would rank the top 3 pre season:
1. ASU
2. UR
3. JMU

NDSU, UNI, SIU, UMass, Wofford, Montana, EWU in no particular order are good bets to be in the top 10. Add UD, UNH, McNeese, Villanova (7-4/17 starters returning) and another team from the power conferences that didn't make the playoffs but finished with winning records, will probably round out the top 15. Teams like YSU, GSU, Elon could be top 15-20.

Personally, I think JMU should be pre season top 5, but the voters might not want to have 2 CAA teams pre season top 5, and even though I think JMU should be ahead of UR in the pre season polls, they won't, UR deserves to be ahead of JMU, and the voters might have JMU #6-8. And I know people are going to bombard me with the # of starters I listed for their team is one or 2 off on this or that side of the ball, the depth chart is wrong, blah, blah. And a few people will say I should have mentioned this or that team to be top 10 or 15. A huge wildcard in this is I-A transfers. Course, as others and I've said before, the pre season polls are pretty meaningless, and I just wasted a bunch of time.

slostang
December 16th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Everyone is missing the boat on Cal Poly. They return 18 of 22 starters. 10 of them are back from the top offense in the FCS in 2007 (487 yds/game) and the sixth scoring offense (39.7 pts/game). Cal Poly will be very tough in 2008.

00bluehen
December 16th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Forget rankings. Just please give the 2008 NC trophy to JMU. Their players have purpose, after all. xrolleyesx

McNeese_beat
December 17th, 2007, 12:42 AM
The nice thing for McNeese is we'll see where they stand a lot earlier next season. With Cal Poly, South Dakota State, North Carolina and, if rumor holds true, North Dakota on the non-conference schedule...that's going to be a gauntlet.

McNeese has 9 offensive and 5 defensive starters returning and 30 of 44 back on the two-deep, plus the kicker/punter and an all-American return specialist (from 2006). Plus a starting safety from 05-06 should be back after sitting out 07 for academics.

I think it was clear that the McNeese team from the first 5-6 games in 07 was outstanding. But injuries took a toll. You can't lose an all-American receiver, an all-American defensive end and your leading rusher and still be the same team. By the time the playoffs started, McNeese was without arguably its three biggest difference makers. NOBODY can survive that.
Imagine App. State without Edwards, Richardson and Lynch...not the same team. I know it's not completely analogous because McNeese does not have a player that impacts the game as much as Edwards (who does?) but I dare say that any team that lost its three more important play makers during the course of the season would not be a shadow of its former self by season's end.

The point is: A healthy McNeese team was a legit top 5 team this season until the injuries slowly degenerated them. And with 30 of 44 back on the two-deep, I think it's reasonable that they would again be a top five team. And unlike last year, we'll figure out of they are worthy of a lofty ranking pretty quick.

I suspect they'll be very good and, if healthy, a team capable of a deep playoff run.

Poly Pigskin
December 17th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Everyone is missing the boat on Cal Poly. They return 18 of 22 starters. 10 of them are back from the top offense in the FCS in 2007 (487 yds/game) and the sixth scoring offense (39.7 pts/game). Cal Poly will be very tough in 2008.

If everyone misses the boat, that's fine by me. They'll notice soon enough if we can beat Montana and McNeese. I really like our chances next season.

BDKJMU
December 17th, 2007, 02:06 AM
The nice thing for McNeese is we'll see where they stand a lot earlier next season. With Cal Poly, South Dakota State, North Carolina and, if rumor holds true, North Dakota on the non-conference schedule...that's going to be a gauntlet.

McNeese has 9 offensive and 5 defensive starters returning and 30 of 44 back on the two-deep, plus the kicker/punter and an all-American return specialist (from 2006). Plus a starting safety from 05-06 should be back after sitting out 07 for academics.

I think it was clear that the McNeese team from the first 5-6 games in 07 was outstanding. But injuries took a toll. You can't lose an all-American receiver, an all-American defensive end and your leading rusher and still be the same team. By the time the playoffs started, McNeese was without arguably its three biggest difference makers. NOBODY can survive that.
Imagine App. State without Edwards, Richardson and Lynch...not the same team. I know it's not completely analogous because McNeese does not have a player that impacts the game as much as Edwards (who does?) but I dare say that any team that lost its three more important play makers during the course of the season would not be a shadow of its former self by season's end.

The point is: A healthy McNeese team was a legit top 5 team this season until the injuries slowly degenerated them. And with 30 of 44 back on the two-deep, I think it's reasonable that they would again be a top five team. And unlike last year, we'll figure out of they are worthy of a lofty ranking pretty quick.

I suspect they'll be very good and, if healthy, a team capable of a deep playoff run.

How come your media giude is way off from that? It clearly shows 6 senior offfensive starters at the beginning of the season and 7 defensive senior starters. That = 5 returning on offense and 4 on defense. Your saying 9 and 5. Page 8 under your outlook. I realize the media guide can be a little off, but that off?
http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/mcne/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2007Outlook
And losing 14 of 44 on 2 deep is losing a lot. That is probably at least an avg amount.

BDKJMU
December 17th, 2007, 02:08 AM
If everyone misses the boat, that's fine by me. They'll notice soon enough if we can beat Montana and McNeese. I really like our chances next season.

Maybe they'll be that other team starting out in the in the top 15.

ur2k
December 17th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Take the 2nd round of the playoffs, final 8 teams, plus JMU, UNH, Montana, and McNeese and NDSU. Those will probably be your final 13 in this years standings. Your top 5 will be ASU followed by the next 4 teams with a returning QB with the most starters returning. I took a look at most teams depth charts listed on their football websites, most of them pre season depth charts, which I realize aren't totally accurate, because of this guy beating out that guy, and this guy being injured, etc, but its all I had to go on for teams I'm not familiar with.
With QB returning:
-ASU: JMU game depth chart showed only 5 starters returning on offense, including Superman, plus entire front 7 on defense (but entire secondary seniors).
-UR: 17 starters back including Ward at QB)
-JMU: 17-18 starters back (awaiting eligibility status of defensive end). 10 starters back offense, including Landers at QB, PLUS an all conference tailback Holloman who was out for the season after the 2nd game. On entire offensive 2 deep only lose LC Baker at receiver who missed about 1/2 the season anyway, and tightend who started some games. 7-8 starters back on defense.
-UMass: Coen is back at QB but I looked at their pre season media guide depth chart and counted 4 senior starters on defense and 8 on offense. I know they always get lots of transfers though.
-Montana: depth chart for the Wofford game shows 8 starters returning on offense, including the QB, but only 3 on defense.
-EWU shows their qb returning, 6 starters on offense, but lose 4 on o-line. Shows 7 returning on defense.
-McNeese media guide depth chart shows their qb returning, but only 5 on offense and 4 on defense.

QB a senior
-UD loses Flacco, Cuff, 3 o-line starters, has 9 starters back on defense
-UNH loses Santos. Even though their #2 guy Toman supposedly the real deal, he still has to prove himself over a season. They're not going to be top 10 preseason.
-Wofford: I looked at the depth chart they had listed on their web site that showed 6 starters back on offense, 8 on defense, but their qb is a senior
-UNI: Depth chart shows 6 returning starters on offense, but loses Sanders at QB and 4 o lineman. Shows 7 returning on defense
-SIU : Delaware game depth chart shows 6 returning starters on offense, but loses Hill at QB. Shows 8 starters returning on defense.
-NDSU: pre season depth chart shows 7 starters returning on offense, but qb is a senior. Shows 8 returning on defesne.

None of the other candidates for top 5 depth charts show the # of starters returning that UR and JMU do, much less their QB. So thats how I would rank the top 3 pre season:
1. ASU
2. UR
3. JMU

NDSU, UNI, SIU, UMass, Wofford, Montana, EWU in no particular order are good bets to be in the top 10. Add UD, UNH, McNeese, Villanova (7-4/17 starters returning) and another team from the power conferences that didn't make the playoffs but finished with winning records, will probably round out the top 15. Teams like YSU, GSU, Elon could be top 15-20.

Personally, I think JMU should be pre season top 5, but the voters might not want to have 2 CAA teams pre season top 5, and even though I think JMU should be ahead of UR in the pre season polls, they won't, UR deserves to be ahead of JMU, and the voters might have JMU #6-8. And I know people are going to bombard me with the # of starters I listed for their team is one or 2 off on this or that side of the ball, the depth chart is wrong, blah, blah. And a few people will say I should have mentioned this or that team to be top 10 or 15. A huge wildcard in this is I-A transfers. Course, as others and I've said before, the pre season polls are pretty meaningless, and I just wasted a bunch of time.

UR should start in the polls ahead of JMU, then we can flip flop when you beat us at home since that's the way this series seems to go lately. I hope it's not homecoming again.

BDKJMU
December 17th, 2007, 08:30 AM
UR should start in the polls ahead of JMU, then we can flip flop when you beat us at home since that's the way this series seems to go lately. I hope it's not homecoming again.

Uh, I wouldn't want the pre season 1st place pick for the CAA South. UR can have it...
Since 04'
04' Nova picked 1st, missed playoffs. JMU picked 4th?, finishes 2nd to W&M, wins NC
05' JMU picked 1st, missed playoffs. UR picked 5th, wins South/playoffs
06' UR picked 1st, missed playoffs. JMU picked 2nd, wins South/playoffs
07. JMU picked 1st, finishes 2nd, makes playoffs. UR picked 4th, wins South, playoffs.

BDKJMU
December 17th, 2007, 08:47 AM

#2 offense in yards per game. ASU was #1
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-teamtotaloff.htm

McNeese_beat
December 17th, 2007, 09:18 AM
How come your media giude is way off from that? It clearly shows 6 senior offfensive starters at the beginning of the season and 7 defensive senior starters. That = 5 returning on offense and 4 on defense. Your saying 9 and 5. Page 8 under your outlook. I realize the media guide can be a little off, but that off?
http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/mcne/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2007Outlook
And losing 14 of 44 on 2 deep is losing a lot. That is probably at least an avg amount.

James Jordan, a senior on the offensive line, was hurt in the preseason and his spot ultimately taken by an underclassman (Kyle Link, moved from TE) who returns. Jordan eventually came off the bench. Steven Whitehead was lost in week two and was granted a medical hardship, so I counted him, considering he's a three-year starter. Quinten Lawrence, the other wide receiver, was originally a non-qualifier who earned an extra year. So that's all five offensive line starters, the QB, the TE and the original two starting wide receivers coming back.

On defense, I'm not sure how the media guide had it, but returning starters are Jackson and Lundy at DT, Nelson at LB and Linde and Sibley/Vigers at safety (they split time and both return).

It should be 31 of 44 back actually. I just realized a backup wide receiver I thought was a senior is actually a junior coming back.

McNeese_beat
December 17th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Did some counting:

App has 30 of 44 back from the two-deep (did not count the third receiver spot...you can't have 12 starters like a lot of teams count now...), Delaware returns 37 of 44 (wow!), Wofford 31 of 31, Eastern Washington 32-12, Northern Iowa 30-14, Richmond 39-5 (double wow!)...just a couple I saw off hand for comparison's sake.
Maybe that be a new thread...how many come back on your team's two-deep?

devilhen
December 17th, 2007, 10:42 AM

In what way?

bjtheflamesfan
December 17th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Id go with:

1. ASU (defending chams and one of their biggest weapons still had 2 years left)
2. Richmond (This team is gonna really surprise some people next year
3. NDSU (First year of eligibilty in FCS playoffs...theyll probably be right up there the entire year)

Cranium716
December 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Forget rankings. Just please give the 2008 NC trophy to JMU. Their players have purpose, after all. xrolleyesx

On behalf of the Dukes players and Coach Mickey "I Promise To Kneel and Kick From Now On" Matthews, I gladly accept the NC trophy. ;) xrolleyesx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 17th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Uh, I wouldn't want the pre season 1st place pick for the CAA South. UR can have it...
Since 04'
04' Nova picked 1st, missed playoffs. JMU picked 4th?, finishes 2nd to W&M, wins NC
05' JMU picked 1st, missed playoffs. UR picked 5th, wins South/playoffs
06' UR picked 1st, missed playoffs. JMU picked 2nd, wins South/playoffs
07. JMU picked 1st, finishes 2nd, makes playoffs. UR picked 4th, wins South, playoffs.

What?! No Delaware??? xeekx xlolx

xsmiley_wix

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 17th, 2007, 11:11 AM
In what way?

UR and Villanova are both private schools with crappy stadiums that are never filled... oh, and they only really care about basketball. Except Villanova actually has a good basketball team. :p

xwhistlex ;)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 17th, 2007, 11:20 AM
My preseason rankings:

CAA
SoCon
Gateway
BigSky

:D

Seriously though, it's App. St. and everyone else. A few schools will challenge them, but until Edwards graduates, no reason to bet against them winning it again, and again...

Although the revenge factor is high, I think it will be tough for JMU to stop ASU at home next year. Replacing the defensive QB All-American Tony LeZotte will be extremely hard, and JMU LBs are the one thin position we have on the field. Expect a higher scoring game than the one we saw in Boone this year in the playoffs.

Can anyone make a case for a tougher schedule? I think JMU's will be the toughest, but a solid number of the toughest games will be at home (vs. ASU, UMass, Delaware...)

This past year the winner of that dubious award had to be Southern Utah. Their schedule was pretty sick! xrotatehx

RazorEdge19
December 17th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Can anyone make a case for a tougher schedule? I think JMU's will be the toughest, but a solid number of the toughest games will be at home (vs. ASU, UMass, Delaware...)

Yeah, pick any of the eight SoCon teams...xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

xpeacex

putter
December 17th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Anyone who has Montana in the top five to start 2008 is nuts... Replacing 20+ seniors, half the defense, and the most effective part of the offense should get Montana .... ummmm... maybe in the top 15.... With the emergence of EWU this year and tough games against Weber St and Portland St, the Griz may not even win the conference or make the playoffs next year....

This will make me very unpopular with my fellow Griz fans but I honestly feel this is an accurate/realistic evaluation of the 2008 Griz. xeekx

You're not nuts Edd, you are correct. Honestly, with our existing OC, Montana will be lucky to be ranked in the top 10 to start the year.

uni88
December 17th, 2007, 12:07 PM
UNI
Furman
JMU

An all purple top 3! Taking applications now for the 4th semi-finalist. xsmiley_wix

Seriously, I agree with the numerous other posters that you have to put App St at the top of the list. With AE coming back they're #1 until someone proves otherwise. While I agree that experience at QB can be an important factor you also need to look at experience and talent on both lines. A good OLine is critical for any QB to stay healthy and be successful while a good DLine can make an inexperienced secondary look pretty good.

leatherneck177
December 17th, 2007, 12:11 PM

agreed.

BDKJMU
December 17th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Did some counting:

App has 30 of 44 back from the two-deep (did not count the third receiver spot...you can't have 12 starters like a lot of teams count now...), Delaware returns 37 of 44 (wow!), Wofford 31 of 31, Eastern Washington 32-12, Northern Iowa 30-14, Richmond 39-5 (double wow!)...just a couple I saw off hand for comparison's sake.

2 deep returning is almost as important as # of starters returning. Then of course there's losing an all conference starter is almost like losing 2, and getting one back is almost like getting back 2. Even more so if its an all american. You get my point, so many variables to look at,
-starting qb returning/lost,
-# of starters returning/lost
-# of 2 deep returning lost,
-# of all conference returning/lost
-# of all americans returning/lost
-# of I-A transfers that make an impact (make the 2 deep)- won't know about that till next year
-# of this year's true freshman redshirts that move up to starting positions or 2 deep next season
-Don't expect too many true freshman to make a big impact (start) with the rank teams, but there are always some
-off season surprises
-pre season injuries that knock guys out for weeks or the whole season- summer camp always has them

This is why trying to predict the top 5, or 15, or 25 for next season is a crap shoot. I was just trying to guess what the voters might do in Aug based on this seasons results and the # of starting qbs, starters, and star players returning

BDKJMU
December 17th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Did some counting:

JMU 37 or 38 of 44- waiting on the eligibility of one of the defensive ends, 2nd team All CAA "Hassan Abdul-Wahid, who was listed as a senior this season, is expected to be granted another year of eligibility by the NCAA. Abdul-Wahid transferred to JMU from Virginia Commonwealth, which doesn’t field a football team, and played three seasons for the Dukes. Under NCAA rules, if he completes his degree requirements by the end of this year, he is eligible to play his fourth season."

terrierbob
December 17th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Did some counting:

How long did it take you to come up with this?!

GtFllsGriz
December 17th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I am one of those that also believes that the Griz could be in deep trouble next year although I believe that Hauck is working very hard to plug the holes.

JMU, we were like where you will be next year with a very senior and talented team. I believe that we really underachieved. You just never know what the chemistry or injuries will do to a team. I do not have the answers for the Griz but I am just saying that having a veteran team does not always translate into a championship, or even a good playoff run. There are just too many variables that simple minds (like mine) will never understand.

I think ASU is the #1 team but the above applys to them as well. One key injury or two "letdown games" and you are out of it.

Here's to another 9 months of speculating!

slostang
December 17th, 2007, 01:56 PM
JMU 37 or 38 of 44- waiting on the eligibility of one of the defensive ends, 2nd team All CAA "Hassan Abdul-Wahid, who was listed as a senior this season, is expected to be granted another year of eligibility by the NCAA. Abdul-Wahid transferred to JMU from Virginia Commonwealth, which doesn’t field a football team, and played three seasons for the Dukes. Under NCAA rules, if he completes his degree requirements by the end of this year, he is eligible to play his fourth season."

Cal Poly returns 18 of 22 starters and 34 of 44 players on their two deep.

McNeese_beat
December 17th, 2007, 01:58 PM
How long did it take you to come up with this?!

about 10 minutes looking at available two-deeps on web sites. I had a typo on yours. It should read 31-13 (31 back, 13 lost)...

ysubigred
December 17th, 2007, 02:01 PM

The only reason I was thinking we had a shot xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
December 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM
The problems with the two deep is that it does not really emphasize the loss of the key players, in particular Flacco, Cuff and Hightower. UD is going to have one hell of a time replacing what are easily their best two offensive players while playing their brutal, brutal schedule. I'm not sure UD with Cuff and Flacco could survive that schedule. Jeez.

OL FU
December 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I am gun shy on Furman predictions. I think offensively we are as strong as ever but if we don't find a defense it isn't going to matter a whole lot.

The other key seems to be discipline. We just don't seem to have the same amount as in the past either during the game or afterward. :(

devilhen
December 17th, 2007, 03:48 PM
UR and Villanova are both private schools with crappy stadiums that are never filled... oh, and they only really care about basketball. Except Villanova actually has a good basketball team. :p

xwhistlex ;)

I LIKE that answer!

JmuSkinsfan
December 17th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I LIKE that answer!

Assuming Abdul-Wahid retains his eligibility for next year...

JMU returning 38 / 44 2-deeps is HUGE.

Of course, as some have said, 2-deeps don't really emphasize the losses of key players like Cuff (UD), Flacco (UD), Hightower (UR), LeZotte (JMU), etc. etc.

But it is hard to look past JMU returning 18/22 starters and 38/44 2-deeps...returning their starting QB, entire OL and the return of all A-10 2006 RB Holloman after medical redshirt in 2007...

JmuSkinsfan
December 17th, 2007, 07:30 PM
After reading through all of this thread my top 10 for next year would have to be...

#1: App. State
#2: Richmond
#3: JMU
#4: EWU
#5: UNI
#6: NDSU
#7: Ga. Southern (if Foster is there...no one answered my question earlier)
#8: Villanova
#9: Cal Poly
#10: Hampton ;) jk
#10: McNeese State / Nicholls State

ASU_Pads
December 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Foster is gone. Thank goodness.

JmuSkinsfan
December 17th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Foster is gone. Thank goodness.

Oh okay thanks. For some reason I kept thinking he was a junior. Well, in that case, drop Ga. Southern out of my top 10...but I'm not really sure who to replace them with. I guess bump everyone up thats behind #6 and move in a Montana or Furman

BDKJMU
December 17th, 2007, 08:26 PM

Of course, as some have said, 2-deeps don't really emphasize the losses of key players like Cuff (UD), Flacco (UD), Hightower (UR), LeZotte (JMU), etc. etc.

But it is hard to look past JMU returning 18/22 starters and 38/44 2-deeps...returning their starting QB, entire OL and the return of all A-10 2006 RB Holloman after medical redshirt in 2007...

Plus you forgot about "Slash". Thanks to the NCAA Clearing House not being able to get their ***** together and rule on his academic eligibility till Sept, therefore he couldn't play or practice till then, which pretty much dictated that Mickey Matthews redshirt him. He technically was a true freshman, but he is 2 yrs removed from HS, as he did a year post graduate at FUMA. Kerby Long is going to be a HUGE star- he is the real deal.

"The impact of Baker’s departure — he ends his career ranked eighth in catches (108) and yards (1,434) and sixth in touchdown receptions (13) — could be lessened if freshman Kerby Long emerges the way Matthews is hoping.

Long, originally recruited as a defensive back, redshirted this season and will play with the offense in 2008, Matthews said.

“Everyone will love watching him play next year,” Matthews said. “He’s going to be Slash. We’re going to make sure he touches the ball a lot.”

Matthews said Long, a 6-foot, 180-pounder, will play receiver and tailback and could even line up some plays at quarterback.

Matthews often said during the year that he’d like to play Long, who missed the first month of the season waiting for the NCAA to certify his test scores.

“He was a better athlete than anybody we were playing on Saturday,” Matthews said."
http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=13570&CHID=3&key=Abdul&title=&author=&channelid=

"Not even Maryland or Connecticut could lure away defensive back Kerby Long, an Arlington native who played one post-graduate year at Fork Union Military Academy.

"Five years ago, we would have had no chance of signing Kerby Long," Matthews said. "Maryland and some other schools came in on him in January. We would have had no chance to hold those schools off. We’ve lost a lot of recruits down through the years."

Matthews once again credited Bridgeforth Stadium’s state-of-the-art athletic performance center with helping keep big-time recruits interested in Division I-AA JMU even after bigger dogs come sniffing around.

Long was the most well-regarded player on the signing list, with Matthews likening his addition to that of three-time All-American free safety Tony LeZotte.

"He may be the most highly recruited cat we’ve ever signed," Matthews said. "He’d be right there with Tony.""
http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=8662&CHID=3&key=Kerby&title=&author=&channelid=

The 1st article says JMU started 2 seniors on offense, but thats only if you have 12 starting positions. It says Brown was a fullback, but JMU really didn't normally use a fullback. Brown started I think the last 4-5 games at tight end, 2 when Caussin was out, Caussin the 1st about 2/3 of the season before he got injured. And again, LC baker missed about half the season. There were times when there was zero seniors on the field for JMU's offense. I look at that as 10 starters back on offense, whether thats out of 11 or 12 spots.

Article said defense started 4 seniors, but one of those is Wahid (2nd tean All CAA defensive end) as it mentions, will likely be back.

So that adds up to 10 starters back on offense + Holloman, likely 8 on defense.

bjtheflamesfan
December 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I know that LU is losing a lot of seniors,,,I'll let the more informed LU posters on here go into the details though

ERASU2113
December 17th, 2007, 09:34 PM

Yea JMU is going to be scary for anyone next season. Especially with Landers and the majority of your offense coming back. Anyone who has t o face you guys is in for a battle.

I was nervous about ASU facing JMU in the playoffs. I know we have to travel to face you guys next season. It's going to be a battle, even better than last season.

Hopefully we'll only have to face you guys once...and only once :D

BDKJMU
December 18th, 2007, 12:25 AM
After reading through all of this thread my top 10 for next year would have to be...

#1: App. State
#2: Richmond
#3: JMU
#4: EWU
#5: UNI
#6: NDSU
#7: Ga. Southern (if Foster is there...no one answered my question earlier)
#8: Villanova
#9: Cal Poly
#10: Hampton ;) jk
#10: McNeese State / Nicholls State

It would have taken a minute online to find out Foster is a senior. Never need to ask anyone about a particular player's status- just look it up.

URMite
December 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM

I don't know why but I thought JMU lost more than that. If Abdul-Wahid returns, I thought that the players leaving were big contributors -
Lezotte (DB)
Baker (WR)
Bolton (RB)

and defensive players who played all 12 games -
Barnes
Adams
Baranowsky
Ford
Nowell
Rudd
Brown

Is that right? It will be difficult to say the least to replace LeZotte. I thought Baker took a lot of pressure off the running game when he was in there, I don't know if Long can replace him as a freshman. Holloman more than replaces Bolton, but won't losing so much depth on D weaken it some?

Just starting scouting a bit early.

And to help you guys out we lose both safeties and noseguard on D and center and Hightower on O. We lose nobody else on our 92 man roster. We regain our starting MLB and one all-CAA OL & DE.

Of course, who knows about injuries, transfers, and freshman...

GannonFan
December 20th, 2007, 01:50 PM
JMU's big questions will be the turnovers (I think they'll be much better with that next year) and with the defense. They're going to be just as good, if not a little better, on offense next year. But their defense wasn't lights out this year and they lose a lot of key people who'll be hard to replace. They benefit from the schedule as most of the tough games are at home, but how that defense plays will be the difference between a good year and a great one.

Richmond is still going to be pretty scary, even with the loss of Hightower. Heck, he played injured for several games at the end of the season and Richmond was still unstoppable. With Clawson at the helm, the Spiders are still the preseason fav in the CAA until someone proves otherwise.

Duke Dawg
December 20th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Richmond had a total of 245 yards of offense against us.

i think JMU shut them down pretty good.

or was UR just not "up" for that game like I heard about App State against us.xrolleyesx

umassfan
December 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM
The person who asked if the UMass UR game was at UMass or Richmond... here is your answer... UMass has one tough schedule but will be loaded again this season.

@ Texas Tech
@ Richmond
@ JMU
@ UNH
@ Holy Cross
@ Northeaster
vs Delaware
vs Maine
vs Albany
vs URI
vs Hofstra

with one more game left to schedule.

URMite
December 20th, 2007, 04:23 PM
The person who asked if the UMass UR game was at UMass or Richmond... here is your answer... UMass has one tough schedule but will be loaded again this season.

@ Texas Tech
@ Richmond
@ JMU
@ UNH
@ Holy Cross
@ Northeaster
vs Delaware
vs Maine
vs Albany
vs URI
vs Hofstra

with one more game left to schedule.

Is this right? We had heard we were @UMass and @Hofstra and vs Maine.

JmuSkinsfan
December 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM
On offense Bolton won't be that big of a loss. You have to remember that we lost our All-conference RB Eugene Holloman in the 2nd game and were able to redshirt him (he was a true senior). Holloma DEFINITELY > Bolton. LC is a huge loss, but he was hurt for a majority of the season, including some of the big games and when he DID play he was pretty much a non-factor...at least compared to how he has played in the past. We also have a young guy who was redshirted this year...Julius Graves...who is essentially a clone of LC and might even be better...

On defense no one will argue the impact of losing Lezotte and Baranowsky. However, we return both corners (actually our top 3/4 if I'm right...Ramsey, McGee and McCullough)....

We also return Solzinsky at DE, and some depth at DT...as well as Abdul-Wahid potentially. We were pretty inexperienced at LB this season anyway so I don't think anyone will really argue that losing any LBs will hurt too much so long as we have depth to come in...

ur2k
December 21st, 2007, 08:30 AM

or was UR just not "up" for that game like I heard about App State against us.xrolleyesx

And your high powered attack had 256 total - what's your point?

WrenFGun
December 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM
Goodness, that is a tough schedule for UMass. They're going to have to beat two of UNH, UD, UR, JMU and TT, and four of those games are on the road. Yeesh.

Spider
December 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM

You're still whinning about that homecoming loss...you just got beat by a better team.....xthumbsupx

TCisMYhero
December 21st, 2007, 01:50 PM
...our kicker comes back, so does the punter... we're set

Well obviously.

otto4pres
December 21st, 2007, 03:03 PM
we've got 6 QB's coming back... one of them's gotta be good

ab4app
December 21st, 2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I know what you guys are saying. And again, I'm really not trying to take anything away from your wins. It was just frustrating for me as a fan to lose two close conference games, get sent on the road to ASU in round one, essentially win that game at the Rock, and then sit home to watch the rest of the playoffs from my couch.

Turnovers are part of the game, so I'm not trying to make excuses. Ah, if only Eugene Holloman hadn't gotten hurt and our trio of young freshmen had more experience and knew how to hold onto the ball :(

Either way, Holloman will be back as a RS senior and the fumbling issues will not be as prevalent. If I am opposing teams next year I am going to try and figure out how to stop the Landers / Holloman show. The Landers / ____ insert name here show was awesome this year...and now you add a year of experience to Landers and a 2006 all A-10 running back into the mix...xrotatehx

You didnt essentially win the game, we did, it was 28 to 27, Yall played unreal and almost won, but you didnt win, we put up 28 points on you with 2 missed extra points and we fumbled on the 9 on the opening drive( just to use an excuse similar to what you are saying) I cant wait till next year, it is gonna be a huuuge game, I know yall will bring it again, good luck in 08, and it was a forced fumble not really yalls players fault,although that probably is like a 1 in 25 or 1 in 50 occurence I must admit.

ab4app
December 21st, 2007, 08:17 PM

we were really up for that game, yall just executed your game plan really well and a few mistakes almost cost us the game( missed extra points, fumble in the redzone.) I know yall are gonna be awesome again next year, you were stellar against us in Boone, Who said we werent up for that game,IT WAS THE PLAYOFFS yall just didnt really give us a chance to play app football, great game plan!xbowx

BDKJMU
December 22nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
JMU's big questions will be the turnovers (I think they'll be much better with that next year) and with the defense. They're going to be just as good, if not a little better, on offense next year. But their defense wasn't lights out this year and they lose a lot of key people who'll be hard to replace. They benefit from the schedule as most of the tough games are at home, but how that defense plays will be the difference between a good year and a great one.

Richmond is still going to be pretty scary, even with the loss of Hightower. Heck, he played injured for several games at the end of the season and Richmond was still unstoppable. With Clawson at the helm, the Spiders are still the preseason fav in the CAA until someone proves otherwise.

Offense will be WAY better than this season. Return everyone but LC Baker, who missed about half the season, Brown, who rotated at tightend. and Bolton, who started after Holloman went down, but he didn't have the ability of Yancey or Sulivan at tailback, he just didn't fumble like those 2 guys did. Get Holloman back who went out for season after 2nd game, so losing Bolton doesn't hurt at all- Yancey and Sullivan will be better and as long as they can lessen their fumbling problems, will be capable of providing plenty of depth at tailback. Could even redshirt Noble, who pretty much had his redshirt wasted when it was pulled and he only ended up getting 27 carries. Plus we have Kerby Long, "Slash" above described freshman (2 yrs removed from high school, pg a season at FUMA, would have played this past season if wasn't for delay by NCAA Clearinghouse, will be a star. He'll probably see time at receiver, tailback, maybe even a few snaps at QB
All offensive line back, Caussin at tightend, 5 of 6 top receivers, who all should be better next season. Offense could be downright scary.

Defense will have (if 2nd team all CAA de end Wahid come back) 8 starters, plus 10 of 11 on 2nd string. All 18 of these players, with another year of experience and another year in weight room, should be better. The defense has the potential to be as good as this season, despite losing Lezotte, (consensus All American) Baronwosky (1st team ALL CAA DT) and Barnes (2nd team All CAA linebacker).

BDKJMU
December 22nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
You didnt essentially win the game, we did, it was 28 to 27, Yall played unreal and almost won, but you didnt win, we put up 28 points on you with 2 missed extra points and we fumbled on the 9 on the opening drive( just to use an excuse similar to what you are saying) I cant wait till next year, it is gonna be a huuuge game, I know yall will bring it again, good luck in 08, and it was a forced fumble not really yalls players fault,although that probably is like a 1 in 25 or 1 in 50 occurence I must admit.

Fumble was on the 24. Check the stats. Drive started at the 47 after a long opening kickoff return.

BDKJMU
December 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
we were really up for that game, yall just executed your game plan really well and a few mistakes almost cost us the game( missed extra points, fumble in the redzone.) I know yall are gonna be awesome again next year, you were stellar against us in Boone, Who said we werent up for that game,IT WAS THE PLAYOFFS yall just didnt really give us a chance to play app football, great game plan!xbowx

Fumble wasn't in the redzone, it was at the 24, check the stats.

ab4app
December 23rd, 2007, 07:39 AM
Fumble wasn't in the redzone, it was at the 24, check the stats.

My bad, just making a point that yall played outstanding but you didnt essentially win the game,you were in a great position to win but... We made some costly mistakes as well, thats all I was trying to say. Looking forward to next fall in VA. Gonna be a great game.

D1scout
December 24th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Richmond's schedule is looking pretty favorable. We get JMU, Towson and Delaware at home next year, though we do go to Villanova. We also open at Elon, so we'll see how they look early. The next week we go to UVA to beat the Cavs.

Doesn't Richmond also play UMass next season as well?:)

D1scout
December 24th, 2007, 12:05 AM

How do you mean, "comparable"?xconfusedx

D1scout
December 24th, 2007, 12:06 AM
And JMU has ASU at home next year as well! UMass, UD, ASU, Richmond, Villanova, Hofstra xwhistlex Good thing we scheduled a winnable FBS game against Duke xlolx

xlolx

Hoyadestroya85
December 24th, 2007, 12:18 AM
How do you mean, "comparable"?xconfusedx
I meant the type of school, size, admission requirements etc.

GeeWiz
December 24th, 2007, 02:01 AM
NU returns nine starters on offense and seven on defense.

Obviously we lose Mo Murray on offense which is huge. We have three backs who aren't battering rams like Mo but are versatile. Sr. Alex Broomfield, Soph. John Griffin and Soph. Kurtis Hart will do it by committee. Anthony Orio returns for his senior season and four starters on the O-line return. All-CAA TE Brian Mandeville returns as does both of our starting WR.

On defense we get back DE Jason Vega who missed last year with an injury. Three starting LB return and three starters return in the secondary.

All that said, I know we're not a playoff team but not too far from it. We have a easier schedule than we've had the last two seasons. We don't play '07 FCS playoff teams JMU, Delaware and Richmond and we get UMass, UNH, Villanova and UC Davis at home.

We have road games at Ball State (much easier opp. than Va Tech or Northwestern the last two years), Ga Southern, Towson, Maine, W&M and Hofstra.

NU regressed last season, but the schedule was a factor.

Oh and I know you're wondering about the dropping of the program thing. I would say look for an announcement after the New Year regarding an upgrade for the the athletic program -- which includes football.

WrenFGun
December 24th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Oh and I know you're wondering about the dropping of the program thing. I would say look for an announcement after the New Year regarding an upgrade for the the athletic program -- which includes football.

This is great news! NU owns UNH of late and I know they have a quality football team. With their schedule, they've got a shot to make some noise, especially in an essentially wide open CAA North.

BDKJMU
December 24th, 2007, 04:23 PM
This is great news! NU owns UNH of late and I know they have a quality football team. With their schedule, they've got a shot to make some noise, especially in an essentially wide open CAA North.

Wide open after UMass, who is clearly the team to beat.

D1scout
December 24th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I meant the type of school, size, admission requirements etc.

Not trying to take issue with you but how can you say "comparable" then Villanova is a private school, UMass is public, V has exceptional academic standards for admission verse UMass which has only decent admission standards for a public institution, and truly "size (enrollment) in this case doesn't really matter"!

WrenFGun
December 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Wide open after UMass, who is clearly the team to beat.

UMass has a very, very difficult schedule this season. They have to go 2-3, at worst, against JMU, UR, TT, UNH and UD, and at least three of those are road games. Away against Holy Cross and home against Albany won't be gimmies, either. UMass also loses their top 3 WR's and a number of other contributers, so to me, it's wide open. They do have Coen coming back, but they're replacing the RB's, WR's, some of the OL and some of a very good D.

Last year, UMass played BC and three 7-4 CAA teams. They should be having to deal with better competition this time around.

BisonBacker
December 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM
App State
UNI
Montana

Ahhh jeez here we are again putting Montana in the top three? Are you kidding me? Haven't the last couple seasons proven you don't get there just on rep? I'm sure they will be good, top three I don't think so. xcoffeex