PDA

View Full Version : SWAC Title Game Moving in '08?

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2007, 08:35 AM
They might move up the SWAC title game. Still won't do anything regarding the playoffs due to the Bayou Classic and Turkey Day Classic, but atleast the SWAC would have a champion before the end of the Div I playoffs. That sticks me as odd that they award their championship after the division has theirs...
-------------------
"We're going to look to move it up next year," Sharp said. "If we can get it OK'd by Legion Field, it'll be the weekend after (the) Bayou (Classic).

"If you're banged up you want it. If you're playing at your peak, you want to play the next weekend. It's a double-edged sword. To me, I think it heightens the (anticipation)."

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071215/SPORTS030101/712150356&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

813Jag
December 15th, 2007, 10:24 AM
They might move up the SWAC title game. Still won't do anything regarding the playoffs due to the Bayou Classic and Turkey Day Classic, but atleast the SWAC would have a champion before the end of the Div I playoffs. That sticks me as odd that they award their championship after the division has theirs...
-------------------
"We're going to look to move it up next year," Sharp said. "If we can get it OK'd by Legion Field, it'll be the weekend after (the) Bayou (Classic).

"If you're banged up you want it. If you're playing at your peak, you want to play the next weekend. It's a double-edged sword. To me, I think it heightens the (anticipation)."

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071215/SPORTS030101/712150356&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL
I believe the last two years it has been this late. Usually it has been no later than a week after the Bayou Classic. I really don't like having the game 3 weeks after the Classic.
1999 - 2 actual weeks between Bayou Classic and Championship Game (3 actual weeks for Jackson State)
2000 - Championship Game was the next week (2 actual weeks for Alabama A&M)
2001 - Championship Game was the next week (2 actual weeks for Alabama A&M)
2002 - 2 actual weeks between Bayou Classic and Championship Game (3 actual weeks for Alabama A&M)
2003 - 2 actual weeks between Bayou Classic and Championship Game (same for Alabama State)
2004 - 2 actual weeks between Bayou Classic and Championship Game (same for Alabama State)
2005 - Championship Game was the next week due to Grambling/Alcorn Game rescheduled from September. (3 actual weeks for Alabama A&M)
2006 - 4 actual weeks for both teams since both teams ended their season on 12/18/06.

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2007, 10:29 AM
It's like having the GMAC Bowl after the BCS "Title" game...

Best part for Grambling and JSU is that they've been able to get all this extra practice time, especially after classes ended...

813Jag
December 15th, 2007, 10:33 AM
It's like having the GMAC Bowl after the BCS "Title" game...

Best part for Grambling and JSU is that they've been able to get all this extra practice time, especially after classes ended...
I'd rather it be earlier but that's part of the deal with Birmingham.

unicat87
December 15th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I just wish I could see it on TV today. :) -unicat87