PDA

View Full Version : Here's a question..

furpal87
December 15th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I'm not trying to be a smarta** or anything, but is this the time for Coach Moore to get out? I mean three straight championships and a win at Michigan, what else can you accomplish? It's winning it all or a bad year. He's 60-what? (65 or 66, right?) Don't give me Paterno and Bowden in their duel to the death with each other. If they had playoffs to deal with, they might retire, too. I mean there's a time where you've done it all. Look at Paul Johnson, he's taken Navy to all those bowl games, but when he beat ND (even if they suck now), he knew it was time to move on.

So my questions are: 1) What do you think? 2) Other than more consecutive championships what else can he accomplish?

Just be serious. I'm curious to hear rational opinions, as much out of curiosity as anything.:o

patssle
December 15th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I'm always a fan of seeing sports figures go out on top...but it seems they never do. They always stick around longer than they should.

AppChicago
Not a bad question, but I think he'll Joe Pa it out for at least 3-5 more seasons.

dungeonjoe
I'm not trying to be a smarta** or anything, but is this the time for Coach Moore to get out? I mean three straight championships and a win at Michigan, what else can you accomplish? It's winning it all or a bad year. He's 60-what? (65 or 66, right?) Don't give me Paterno and Bowden in their duel to the death with each other. If they had playoffs to deal with, they might retire, too. I mean there's a time where you've done it all. Look at Paul Johnson, he's taken Navy to all those bowl games, but when he beat ND (even if they suck now), he knew it was time to move on.

So my questions are: 1) What do you think? 2) Other than more consecutive championships what else can he accomplish?

Just be serious. I'm curious to hear rational opinions, as much out of curiosity as anything.:o

I think he should have retired when they went for two--waitaminute that was Lamb... xlolx

Seriously, that is a good question. Moore seems to be about more than just national championships, like shaping lives.

TheValleyRaider
December 15th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Coach Moore won't and shouldn't go anywhere. He's all alone at the top now, in terms of consecutive championships (1 more to catch Tressel overall), so of course there's nowhere to go but down. But, the same can be said for the App. State program as a whole. Not that he hadn't already, but Moore has locked up the ASU job forever, and I can't believe he'd leave anytime soon. He stayed that long without winning a title, what's a few more years, really?

Look at Paul Johnson, he's taken Navy to all those bowl games, but when he beat ND (even if they suck now), he knew it was time to move on.

IMO, PJ left Navy because Georgia Tech had a better offer. He'll do great things there too

SCPALADIN
December 15th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I think he should have retired when they went for two--waitaminute that was Lamb... xlolx

xasswhipx xasswhipx xnonox
LOW BLOW

furpal87
December 15th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I know Johnson got a better offer, but this really was the first time he actively sought it.

Eagle22
December 15th, 2007, 01:00 AM
I think it takes one or more of these three things to happen for Moore to retire:

1) Armanti Edwards graduates
2) Scott Satterfield lured away
3) John Wiley lured away

If I were in the market for a head coach at the FCS level, I'd be doing all I could to try and wrestle Satterfield away. I'd reckon it would be hard though ... I'm guessing he would be a prime replacement for Moore at some point. John Wiley has been a loyal and competent assistant for a ton of years under Moore, so where he figures in the mix I'm not sure .... that was sort of the problem GSU faced when Paul Johnson left ... deciding between Mike Sewak and Rusty Russell ... offense vs. defense.

In ASU's case, they are certainly more the offensive juggernaut right now.

And I like dungeonjoe's response. I think Coach Moore is probably enjoying it now more than he ever has. The past two summers I've spoken with him, he has seem very relaxed and smelling the roses, so to speak.

SCPALADIN
December 15th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Here's another question...
With three in a row, does ASU start seriously looking into going D I-A?

mistersykes
December 15th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I think, as it has been mentioned before, that Coach Moore is enjoying coaching more than ever right now and he is about trying to shape people's lives. He'll hang them up when he's good and ready.