PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian is synonymous with dynasty

ERASU2113
December 15th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Yes we are :D.

Never has a I-AA team won 3 straight consecutive titles. We have a chance for #4 :D xthumbsupx

dungeonjoe
December 15th, 2007, 12:17 AM

Never has a I-AA team won 3 straight consecutive titles. We have a chance for #4 :D xthumbsupx
It is the night of the championship, enjoy it! But remember the long, long memory of those around you.

RadMann
December 15th, 2007, 12:18 AM
I thought Appalachian was synonymous with overalls and banjos! ;)

AppChicago
December 15th, 2007, 12:20 AM

Cute. It's quaint. Stereotypical. Got a nice beat. Easy to dance to. I give it three jugs.

ERASU2113
December 15th, 2007, 12:29 AM

Oh forgot that's part of it too! :D

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 12:38 AM
i think its hard to question that this is the greatest I-AA/FCS team ever..

RadMann
December 15th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Their offense is definitely one of the top FCS offenses ever. Their defense is good, but the strength is the O for ASU. Really great!

Mountaineer
December 15th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Cute. It's quaint. Stereotypical. Got a nice beat. Easy to dance to. I give it three jugs.

xlolx

GSU Just One More Time
December 15th, 2007, 01:01 AM
You did something we were unable to do. We made a run at it three times and could not get it done. Congrats to you but when you win 6 Socon titles in a row a long with a couple of NC then will talk dynasty.

mvemjsunpx
December 15th, 2007, 03:20 AM

What? Seriously? What about the champions that went undefeated? What about all those great Georgia Southern teams, particularly in the late '80's? What about both Montana & Marshall in 1996? Hell, what about Delaware in 2003 or Montana in 2001? App State had 2 FCS losses. There were a few undefeated champions & several champions that were undefeated against FCS/I-AA, including ASU last year. They won the championship, but they're hardly the "best team ever". For that matter, they're not even the best of the three Mountaineer championship teams.

KiddBrewer
December 15th, 2007, 05:02 AM
What? Seriously? What about the champions that went undefeated? What about all those great Georgia Southern teams, particularly in the late '80's? What about both Montana & Marshall in 1996? Hell, what about Delaware in 2003 or Montana in 2001? App State had 2 FCS losses. There were a few undefeated champions & several champions that were undefeated against FCS/I-AA, including ASU last year. They won the championship, but they're hardly the "best team ever". For that matter, they're not even the best of the three Mountaineer championship teams.

i think he was probably meaning that appalachian is the best program ever, not just this years team (who, youre right, was probably not the best of the 3) but im not sure about that.

Baldy
December 15th, 2007, 06:48 AM
xoopsx xlolx

appstate38
December 15th, 2007, 08:50 AM
GSU might be looking at us and thinking we are crazy for this dynasty talk. To be honest, all of our rings will fit on one hand. Until we start putting some on the other one, I personally will wait to start saying dynasty. I can live with 3-peat or quest for 4. Any of those will do.

Cobblestone
December 15th, 2007, 08:54 AM
App. State, you guys are simply the best. Congrats.

Herdman
December 15th, 2007, 08:55 AM
And just think, you'll get a map challenged beauty queen to come long for the ride next year too.

Mountain Panther
December 15th, 2007, 09:53 AM

It wasn't the same "team" that beat us or UMASS. ASU has some pretty tough company when you start comparing them to Youngstown or GSU.

I will call then one of the greatest "programs" ever.

SoCon48
December 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM
You did something we were unable to do. We made a run at it three times and could not get it done. Congrats to you but when you win 6 Socon titles in a row a long with a couple of NC then will talk dynasty.

App just proved it's easier to win a NC than a SoCon title.

xeyebrowx

SoCon48
December 15th, 2007, 11:44 AM
GSU might be looking at us and thinking we are crazy for this dynasty talk. To be honest, all of our rings will fit on one hand. Until we start putting some on the other one, I personally will wait to start saying dynasty. I can live with 3-peat or quest for 4. Any of those will do.

Let's see, how many of GSU's National Championships came while they were in the SoCon?? Answer: 3!xrulesx

appstate38
December 15th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Let's see, how many of GSU's National Championships came while they were in the SoCon?? Answer: 3!xrulesx

You are absolutely right. The Apps have done something nobody else has and that is awesome. All I am sayings is that when I was there we were winning football games and the SoCon but GSU was still winning NC's.

They are still the gold standard for dynasty in my opinion. But at least they can see us in their rear mirror.

AppChicago
December 15th, 2007, 12:20 PM
And just think, you'll get a map challenged beauty queen to come long for the ride next year too.
She sure is pretty, though.

Purple Knight
December 15th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I think it will be even tougher for anyone to go thru the 2008 SoCon season without a couple of losses in conference. I wonder what the odds were at the beginning of the playoffs that the 5-team CAA would win it as opposed to a 2-team anyother conference?

LehighFan11
December 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Prolly not as bad as you think considering App St had to be the favorite with a healthy Edwards. Plus Delaware, JMU, and New Hamp weren't suppose to make it out of the 2nd round.

thirdgendin
December 15th, 2007, 06:54 PM

2, not 3.

appsfan
December 15th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I think it is too early to call us a dynasty. While we have had a 3 year run that is second to none, when I think dynasty, I think of dominating over a longer period of time. Now if we were to win one or two more NCs over the next 4 or 5 years, then that woould be a different story. For now, I am not even going to think about next year as it is time to enjoy #3.xthumbsupx

proasu89
December 15th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I never liked that show. :p

RazorEdge19
December 15th, 2007, 07:21 PM
dy·nas·ty /ˈdaɪnəsti; Brit. also ˈdɪnəsti/ Pronunciation[dahy-nuh-stee; Brit. also din-uh-stee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties.
1. a sequence of rulers from the same family, stock, or group: the Ming dynasty.
2. the rule of such a sequence.
3. a series of members of a family who are distinguished for their success, wealth, etc.

Yeah, App qualifies.

ncman071
December 15th, 2007, 07:56 PM
App State is no doubt a true dynasty. 3 national titles in a row something that has never been done in Division 1 qualifies for sure as a dynasty. not to mention the fact that Jerry Moore has take App to the playoffs 13 out of his 18 seasons with App so far. i believe App/GSU/Montana/Youngstown state can all be considered dynasties given the success they've had.

terrierbob
December 15th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Hey, I'm glad they're dynastic. To be in the same conference with App State is a treat.

CONGRATS MOUNTAINEERS!!!!xthumbsupx xbowx xthumbsupx xbowx xthumbsupx xbowx xthumbsupx xbowx

ERASU2113
December 15th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Hey, I'm glad they're dynastic. To be in the same conference with App State is a treat.

CONGRATS MOUNTAINEERS!!!!xthumbsupx xbowx xthumbsupx xbowx xthumbsupx xbowx xthumbsupx xbowx

By the way, I can't wait for you guys to come to KBS next year. You know payback is a witch xthumbsupx See ya in '08

appfan2008
December 15th, 2007, 08:48 PM
3 titles in 3 years is a dynasty period!

feb18blacksunday
December 15th, 2007, 11:09 PM

That'll be a real treat.....hope she brings along her mom.Real beauty.xthumbsupx

ngineer
December 15th, 2007, 11:37 PM
ASU is certainly up there with the best of the best, but I wouldn't call it a dynasty as yet. Three years is not a very long time. To me a dynasty is a longterm domination, like the Boston Celtics of the 50's-60's. Winning three national championships is definitely a tremendous achievement, but a dynasty will be created if those that follow can maintain. ASU created a blueprint for the spread offense, so long as you have the athletes to execute it. Moore has cemented his legacy with this run.xthumbsupx

thmst30
December 16th, 2007, 12:19 AM
This one right here:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i163/thmst30/appmap.jpg

You're jealous as hell, I can tell.:D
Someone should use this pic as their avatar so I can see it more often.

ASUMountaineer
December 16th, 2007, 10:09 AM

I'm sure there's a map she can read quite well. xsmiley_wix

Hey, there's a lot of beauty around Boone, why not add a little more? xthumbsupx

rob_p469
December 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM

I wouldn't go that far... but they are pretty stinking good. If only their fans could act like champions, they would be a complete package.

AppSt.09
December 16th, 2007, 12:10 PM
App just proved it's easier to win a NC than a SoCon title.

xeyebrowx

That's why we had the top rated conference this year according to the Saragrin ratings

Eyes of Old Main
December 16th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Appalachian certainly has a dynasty going right now, hands down. No way 3 in a row can't be considered a dynasty, particularly since it has never been done before.

I think its a bit early to call them the best I-AA/FCS program of all-time, though. But, then again, I don't think you really can give anybody that title. Over the history of the division, many teams have had periods of dominance, but none has done it without a few bumps along the road. Georgia Southern probably comes closest based off their number of titles, but they've had down times in the mid-90's and the last few years. I think Appalachian is certainly the "team of the decade", but looking at it in any larger context makes it too hard to pick a clear cut winner.

All that being said, congratulations to the entire Appalachian family. You guys are the real deal and have earned your well-deserved place among the greats. Enjoy your win and we look forward to competing with you again next season and beyond.

thmst30
December 16th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't go that far... but they are pretty stinking good. If only their fans could act like champions, they would be a complete package.

Do you EVER post without bashing our fans, we get it, they never should have done that. Your fans aren't all saints either.

Cleets
December 16th, 2007, 01:19 PM
it would be nice to see a big fat sports illustrated article on App. State during the slow period between the bowls and the NFL play offs

they could cover the playoff system in the article
as well as the three year run... and the Michigan defeat...

it would be nice to see and interesting stuff for sports fans... xnodx

proasu89
December 16th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't go that far... but they are pretty stinking good. If only SOME of their fans could act like champions, they would be a complete package.

There, that's better. xthumbsupx

ERASU2113
December 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM
it would be nice to see a big fat sports illustrated article on App. State during the slow period between the bowls and the NFL play offs

they could cover the playoff system in the article
as well as the three year run... and the Michigan defeat...

it would be nice to see and interesting stuff for sports fans... xnodx

It would be awesome to see but do you think it will happen? I sure don't...which is a shame.

Saint3333
December 16th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Team of the 80's - GSU
Team of the 90's - YSU
Team of the 00's - ASU

All three were/are dynasties.

thmst30
December 16th, 2007, 02:07 PM
SI is the one giving us the most love. First the cover, then a two page article on Edwards for Heisman next year, and then after the title game they were the only major sports site to put us as the top story in college football, and we are still the top story on their site two days later (Actually we were until just now, Breaking News Michigan hires Rich Rodriguez from WVU). All others like Foxsports, CBS Sports, and ESPN just put a little headline on the side. Also SI included us in the candidates for Sportsman of the year. They certainly give us the most respect.

ERASU2113
December 16th, 2007, 02:12 PM
SI is the one giving us the most love. First the cover, then a two page article on Edwards for Heisman next year, and then after the title game they were the only major sports site to put us as the top story in college football, and we are still the top story on their site two days later (Actually we were until just now, Breaking News Michigan hires Rich Rodriguez from WVU). All others like Foxsports, CBS Sports, and ESPN just put a little headline on the side. Also SI included us in the candidates for Sportsman of the year. They certainly give us the most respect.

Whoa wait when did this happen?

By the way I forgot. SI was at the championship game Friday night. So it's possibly they may do an article on ASU. I retract my doubts :D

thmst30
December 16th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Whoa wait when did this happen?

By the way I forgot. SI was at the championship game Friday night. So it's possibly they may do an article on ASU. I retract my doubts :D

It was online, not in their magazine, but still very cool. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/12/13/armanti.edwards/index.html?eref=si_topstories

nothingbutjsu
December 16th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I was at the game. The way some ASU fans acted, you're not far from the truth

mvemjsunpx
December 16th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Team of the 80's - GSU
Team of the 90's - YSU
Team of the 00's - ASU

All three were/are dynasties.

I don't think App State is guaranteed "team of the 00's" status yet. If Montana happened to win championships the next two years, they would earn that title. Same with Delaware.

Yosef84
December 16th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I'll save words like "dynasty" for those with more perspective. App has had an unbelievable three year run, but if we have to use the word "dynasty" ourselves, it loses something. Those titles are meaningful only when given by others.

phillyAPP
December 16th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Thanks for aying SOME. I saw alot of overalls,not many banjo's?xsmiley_wix

I hope you had fun.

bench
December 16th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Like it or not, the Mountaineers are now officially the Yankees of FCS. Actually, the Patriots would be a more apt comparison (they were underdogs too at some point, and were supported by unaffiliated fans outside their region), but the point is the same: Fair or not, we're guilty of the cardinal sin in American sports of winning too much. We're no longer the underdogs. We've had an excess of success the last three years, regardless of how richly deserved our recent glory has been. In a division that gets limited attention from the press, we are the media darlings, the cover boys for FCS. Don't think there isn't and won't be resentment.

Americans love pulling for the underdog to take down the champ, love watching the scrappy challenger become a success story, and the very minute they win too much, love rooting for them to fall to the next underdog. We're at the tail-end of this vicious cycle. We aren't the good guys anymore. We are the evil empire, and there will be rejoicing when we finally fall.

Any missteps our program, our players, and our fans make - real or perceived - will be magnified and criticized. Verily, it has begun.

ASUMountaineer
December 16th, 2007, 08:28 PM

What's wrong with banjos? I'm not a fan of the striped overalls, but a little bluegrass music hasn't ever hurt anyone (outside of the movie Deliverance). xnodx

nothingbutjsu
December 16th, 2007, 08:40 PM
What's wrong with banjos? I'm not a fan of the striped overalls, but a little bluegrass music hasn't ever hurt anyone (outside of the movie Deliverance). xnodx

xlolx

Blue Hen Nation
December 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Based on the last three, I'd have to say YES! With regard to a 4th, I think you're losing too many seniors.

Saint3333
December 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I don't think App State is guaranteed "team of the 00's" status yet. If Montana happened to win championships the next two years, they would earn that title. Same with Delaware.

That is a HUGE "IF". With 15 playoff wins, 4 semifinal appearances, and THREE titles ASU with two years of AE remaining I like our chances.

ASU loses a good quantity of players, but Montana and Delaware lose more quality than ASU does for 2008.

Monarch History
December 16th, 2007, 08:58 PM
App State is no doubt a true dynasty. 3 national titles in a row something that has never been done in Division 1 qualifies for sure as a dynasty. not to mention the fact that Jerry Moore has take App to the playoffs 13 out of his 18 seasons with App so far. i believe App/GSU/Montana/Youngstown state can all be considered dynasties given the success they've had.

I whole heartedly agree! xnodx xnodx xnodx

hApPYaPpYFan
December 16th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Like it or not, the Mountaineers are now officially the Yankees of FCS. Actually, the Patriots would be a more apt comparison (they were underdogs too at some point, and were supported by unaffiliated fans outside their region), but the point is the same: Fair or not, we're guilty of the cardinal sin in American sports of winning too much. We're no longer the underdogs. We've had an excess of success the last three years, regardless of how richly deserved our recent glory has been. In a division that gets limited attention from the press, we are the media darlings, the cover boys for FCS. Don't think there isn't and won't be resentment.

Americans love pulling for the underdog to take down the champ, love watching the scrappy challenger become a success story, and the very minute they win too much, love rooting for them to fall to the next underdog. We're at the tail-end of this vicious cycle. We aren't the good guys anymore. We are the evil empire, and there will be rejoicing when we finally fall.

Any missteps our program, our players, and our fans make - real or perceived - will be magnified and criticized. Verily, it has begun.

You are so right......get ready ASU fans we will now have more than a target on our backs. And all the negativity is an effort to spoil the success for not only the fans but the coaches and players. I am sick of the constant whinning and complaining on this board and many others. The green-eyed monster has emerged and is in full force.

eaglewraith
December 17th, 2007, 12:03 AM
That is a HUGE "IF". With 15 playoff wins, 4 semifinal appearances, and THREE titles ASU with two years of AE remaining I like our chances.

ASU loses a good quantity of players, but Montana and Delaware lose more quality than ASU does for 2008.

Not so fast, for team of the 00's, GSU has 1 title already, 10 playoff victories, and 3 semifinal appearances (counting the title year).

If we were to win the title the next 2 years...that would give us 3 titles, 18 playoff victories, and 5 semifinal appearances.

That is more possible than some people think...and GSU seems to have a thing for doing stuff around the end of a decade :)

mvemjsunpx
December 17th, 2007, 12:31 AM

I never said that would happen, but you implied that App State was already the team of the 00's, even with 2 years to go in the decade.

Montana has 13 playoff wins & has 4 semifinal appearances, 3 championship appearances, & one title. They've also made the playoffs every year this decade. The Griz haven't earned the moniker yet, but they could.

Delaware has 10 playoff wins, 3 semifinal appearances, 2 championship appearances, & 1 title. Their numbers aren't as good as Montana's or App State's, but they have an outside shot.

As eaglewraith showed, GSU's numbers are similar to Delaware's.

Saint3333
December 17th, 2007, 07:56 PM
With the recruiting classes the ASU coaches have signed 2006 - 2008 ASU isn't done making long playoff runs.

ERASU2113
December 17th, 2007, 07:59 PM
With the recruiting classes the ASU coaches have signed 2006 - 2008 ASU isn't done making long playoff runs.

Not to mention the recruits that are coming in the recent recruiting classes. We're just going to be getting faster and better, ideally.

Moore said after the NC that the coaches recruit solely on speed and that alone. Size is not a priority for them.

Means the spread offense will continue at ASU for years after he's gone. It's going to be exciting to watch ASU on the field for years to come.

AlphaSigMD
December 17th, 2007, 08:06 PM
If the patriots are a dynasty, then Appalachian State certainly is as well.

ASU_Pads
December 18th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Appalachian could give the Ming Dynasty a run for their money. 300 years of domination isn't out of the question for the Apps. xcoffeex