PDA

View Full Version : Who's on first?

GrizzlyBill
December 14th, 2007, 11:29 PM
The officials lost control of the game. In addition to the play on the field, the officials are supposed to control the coaches on the sidelines AND the spectators. The officials are employees of the NCAA. As has been pointed out on other threads, an interesting question became: Who would have been sued, had a sideline out pass busted up a drunk?

The fans must be kept off the field. The field includes the playing field, sidelines, and end zones. All the officials had to do was stop play, call an official TO, bring both head coaches together at midfield, and announce that play was suspended until the spectators had cleared the field.

It seems to me that the NCAA and member schools were legally responsible for a lot of bad potential results of the situation that developed the last 3 minutes of this NC game. It looked like a general riot was possible there for a bit. If the UD player had happened to hit the wrong person with the ball, it could have gotten a lot uglier pretty fast. The kid was just popping off in frustration and in response to a lot of "rubbing it in." Sure, not exemplary form, but it should never have gotten to that point; but what if he had hit some drunk's girlfriend?

Those fans should never have been there so close against the field of play, even (it looked to me like) IN THE END ZONE taunting the Delaware player as he scored a TD that meant nothing to the game's outcome. Even the ESPN dudes were aghast at the developments. Let's be glad nothing worse happened, and hope that the NCAA takes a sensible look at how to ensure that fans stay off the level of the playing field.

TCisMYhero
December 14th, 2007, 11:44 PM
This brings up an interesting question that I've been pondering all week. It's great that we can sell out our division's championship game now, but had App not been going for their 3rd straight, this sell-out may not have happened. Has FCS outgrown the facilities at Chattanooga? I was there in '05 and was on the field for the whole game. The place is really something to marvel about. Beautiful field, facilities, and amenities. Great city. But if this game would have been at a 50,000 spectator field, similar to Iowa State's Jack Trice, with seats and barriers for ALL fans, this more than likely would not have happened. Thoughts?

GrizzlyBill
December 14th, 2007, 11:50 PM
We can require that spectators at the game stay off the field, sidelines, and endzones out of respect for the game; OR we can enforce it with barricades, as is the case now at the bigger stadiums.

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I think that the refs should have stopped the game and waited until the fans went back to the stands. I also think there should have been some real security to keep the fans in their seats in the first place. If the first few fans had been turned back I think we would have seen a much different situation.

GrizzlyBill
December 14th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I think that the refs should have stopped the game and waited until the fans went back to the stands. I also think there should have been some real security to keep the fans in their seats in the first place. If the first few fans had been turned back I think we would have seen a much different situation.

Exactly.

dungeonjoe
December 14th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I think that the refs should have stopped the game and waited until the fans went back to the stands.
...and further delay Sportscenter????

You are out of your mind;) :)

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 14th, 2007, 11:57 PM
A team should never have to not shake hands with the other team for the sake of their own security...they should have announced over the stadium PA system to please get back into the stands.

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2007, 12:09 AM

I don't know, those refs seemed pretty pissed at ESPN for their timeout crap.

GrizzlyBill
December 15th, 2007, 10:15 AM

So, TV controls the game? That is the price we pay for having the games broadcast? And, the hypothetical injured drunk crowding the sideline would then sue ESPN and the NCAA both, which would undoubtedly cost more that what they made off the game.

dungeonjoe
December 15th, 2007, 10:30 AM
So, TV controls the game? That is the price we pay for having the games broadcast? And, the hypothetical injured drunk crowding the sideline would then sue ESPN and the NCAA both, which would undoubtedly cost more that what they made off the game.
Who do you think decided that the game would be on Friday night?

Tribe4SF
December 15th, 2007, 10:37 AM
The MEAC crew looked a little overwhelmed. I had the feeling that the speed of the game was giving them problems. Frequently seemed confused. Not surprising that they were mere spectators for the crowd coming around the field.

jonmac
December 15th, 2007, 11:52 AM
The game being on Friday is the biggest problem. Just like last week in Boone. That should never happen again. NCAA should negotiate better. Heck, I'm sure that another network would be willing to broadcast the game. Most have nothing but filler programming on today anyway. Of course, I know nothing about the goings on in major television marketing. But the NCAA owns the game and should be able to negotiate what they want. And I think maybe it is time to move to a larger, not much larger, but larger venue. Nothing at all against Chattannooga but there should be no need for standing room only for a NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game.