PDA

View Full Version : 2023 National Championship: #1 South Dakota State vs #2 Montana

Pages : [1] 2

Professor Chaos
December 16th, 2023, 06:59 PM
Game will kick off on Sunday 1/7 at 1PM CT in Frisco, Texas and will be broadcast nationally on ABC.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53403786445_0bf8492caf_o.jpg

Christiank22
December 16th, 2023, 07:01 PM
SDSU by whatever they want

NDSU1980
December 16th, 2023, 07:06 PM
SDSU in a laugher.

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 07:13 PM
This won’t be close. Montanas D looked pretty average against the run in the NDSU game and NDSU is not SDSU. I hope SDSU chokes big in this game but I doubt it SDSU probably won’t gift them the penalty yards NSDU did

bigticket1
December 16th, 2023, 07:17 PM
This won’t be close. Montanas D looked pretty average against the run in the NDSU game and NDSU is not SDSU. I hope SDSU chokes big in this game but I doubt it SDSU probably won’t gift them the penalty yards NSDU did
Gronowski likely doesn't miss all those wide open deep shots.

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 07:29 PM
Well, maybe even more big is the fact that SDSU can run screens and will throw to their backs which will neutralize the Montana blitz. We have no clue offensively to react to that. I think the SDSU oline is just gonna man handle these guys. Football is weird game. Kind of looking forward to the game, don’t really have a dog in the fight but I hate SDSU and hope they get beat by a tipped pass with no time left on the clock.

Born a Rabbit
December 16th, 2023, 08:15 PM

that seems to be very true. at the same time, he missed a number of throws yesterday. maybe the jankes adjust better to the ball in the air than the bison receivers did today?? that is not a criticism of Mark. i think he has more than proven to be a guy who makes the plays when the plays need to be made. that is probably his greatest skill

Griz are definitely a good team. should not and definitely will not be taken lightly. no way that Jimmy lets them be taken lightly. he undoubtedly has a memory forever burned into his brain related to a loss once upon a time, back in his playing days. time for the go around to come around

Born a Rabbit
December 16th, 2023, 08:29 PM
Well, maybe even more big is the fact that SDSU can run screens and will throw to their backs which will neutralize the Montana blitz. We have no clue offensively to react to that. I think the SDSU oline is just gonna man handle these guys. Football is weird game. Kind of looking forward to the game, don’t really have a dog in the fight but I hate SDSU and hope they get beat by a tipped pass with no time left on the clock.

i have been around this site for maybe a handful of years now and i have never seen any type of explanation for your feelings about this. obviously you dont have to explain anything! you and anyone / everyone are welcome to like dislike or hate any team ya want! just that i have seen you say this many times and i wonder if there is an interesting story behind it?? you seem like an intelligent football fan and fan of good football.

for myself- i HATE losing to the bison but i have only respect for the school the athletic program and the football program. most of the time if they are not playing the jacks i find myself cheering for them because i respect the way that they do things more than i respect the way a lot of other programs do things.
also i have always appreciated that the two schools made the move together when none of the other ncc schools had the wisdom or foresight to see that D2 was going to get watered down and that it was the smart move to make, and they definitely helped each other to survive a difficult process when everyone else around them tried to make it harder.
lastly, it is better for the conference to have them win

Hammerhead
December 16th, 2023, 09:01 PM
Most Bison fans hate SDSU because their football team was dirty and their fans vandalize cars.

In case you can't access this site without a subscription: "Perry was engaged with an SDSU offensive lineman on the play he got injured. Near the end of that play, the SDSU player dove down and cut block Perry in the knee area."
https://www.thedickinsonpress.com/sports/bison-lose-dt-perry-for-season

Yes that was a long time ago, but some of us are still mad about Drew Pearson pushing off a Vikings defender in the NFL playoff almost 50 years ago and upper-Midwesterners hold sports grudges for a long time.

i have been around this site for maybe a handful of years now and i have never seen any type of explanation for your feelings about this. obviously you dont have to explain anything! you and anyone / everyone are welcome to like dislike or hate any team ya want! just that i have seen you say this many times and i wonder if there is an interesting story behind it?? you seem like an intelligent football fan and fan of good football.

for myself- i HATE losing to the bison but i have only respect for the school the athletic program and the football program. most of the time if they are not playing the jacks i find myself cheering for them because i respect the way that they do things more than i respect the way a lot of other programs do things.
also i have always appreciated that the two schools made the move together when none of the other ncc schools had the wisdom or foresight to see that D2 was going to get watered down and that it was the smart move to make, and they definitely helped each other to survive a difficult process when everyone else around them tried to make it harder.

Born a Rabbit
December 16th, 2023, 09:18 PM
Most Bison fans hate SDSU because their football team was dirty and their fans vandalize cars.

In case you can't access this site without a subscription: "Perry was engaged with an SDSU offensive lineman on the play he got injured. Near the end of that play, the SDSU player dove down and cut block Perry in the knee area."

Yes that was a long time ago, but some of us are still mad about Drew Pearson pushing off a Vikings defender in the NFL playoff almost 50 years ago and upper-Midwesterners hold sports grudges for a long time.

well i have heard those stories along with the silliness about Rozeboom being an ankle twister. i thought it was only a small number of extreme whatever you call its that actually believed those things symbolized the entire team / program, or fanbase.

anyone could pick out one or two examples of bad things that could be associated with any person or group of people and apply it to the group as a whole. cant remember which one but one of the bison fans has that tag on his account about the left wants to judge every gun owner based on the actions of a few nutjobs. anyway, i want to hope/ believe that reasonable folks know what is true. just as i choose not to decide that every bison fan is a loudmouth or mentally unhinged just because a few of them shoot their mouth off or a few of them think entz is the worst coach ever, despite dealing with nil and other circumstances that predecessors never dealt with and still making it to the final four this year and three other finals with two wins

anyway i did say everyone is welcome to their opinion, and i still mean that, no matter how much i would disagree with it. that said i think the bison are still clearly at the VERY VERY top of fcs football and i congratulate you all on another excellent season

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 09:26 PM

I hate hard butter and cold maple syrup, not a huge fan of beets except in a salad. My hard on for SDSU is probably more centered on a pretty sizable group of idiot fans. Long story, it has been told here before. Not gonna rehash it

I have also stated that I am not a fan of supporting teams from the conference. It is what it is

putter
December 16th, 2023, 09:36 PM
NDSU averaged 242 yards rushing per game Montana held them to 175 on 40 carries, I think that is pretty good. Miller was 9/23 for 157. Yes he missed 2 wide open guys but that happens and He has been pretty efficient up to this game. Montana secondary needs to play better and 2 mistakes could have cost them as well as getting beat and holding on a few important plays.

Born a Rabbit
December 16th, 2023, 09:52 PM
I hate hard butter and cold maple syrup, not a huge fan of beets except in a salad. My hard on for SDSU is probably more centered on a pretty sizable group of idiot fans. Long story, it has been told here before. Not gonna rehash it

I have also stated that I am not a fan of supporting teams from the conference. It is what it is

as i said you obviously did not need to explain it for me. there certainly are some knucklehead fans, but those are everywhere. i was just curious. thought it might be something interesting or entertaining. i will leave it at that

i know others share your opinion about conference schools. and others are more in my camp. i believe there is no question that mvfc is by far the top conference and obviously beating OOC schools proves it. on that tangential note, i think UNI and ISUr were very likely in the top 24 teams this year. i would say UNI without a doubt, although they should have never lost to MoSt if they wanted to prove it

one reason something like that matters is postseason awards. of course the bison and the jacks are far more concerned with holding the final trophy than individual stuff, but i would say the mvfc was definitely under represented on all american teams. i know some think the jacks had too many. i can see argument for that. i can also see argument that they are still somehow underrated in some ways and the conference DEFINITELY was, despite 6 playoff teams

best example i can give- (ZERO disrespect intended to U Albany. i sincerely think they are a good team compared to the fcs landscape, but clearly not in the top 4 in the country despite making the semis) but a LOT was made about the Danes having the number one run defense. well they put up that number playing teams who collectively had a less than .500 record. the jacks on the other hand played teams who were collectively FORTY games over .500 and other mvfc schools played a tougher schedule also. obviously Albany had 2 guys on the all american team. they sure did not look like all americans yesterday and they probably would not have been named to the team if they played all year in the mvfc

again not trying to rip on the Danes. just using this as a good example of why i like to see the conference get the respect that it deserves and therefore tend to cheer for conference teams

uofmman1122
December 16th, 2023, 11:09 PM
We'll have a tall task, but I'm excited for this one.

Bummer that I can't go because I'll be overseas.

Professor Chaos
December 16th, 2023, 11:13 PM
McDowell will have to be significantly better throwing the ball in this one than he has been for the Griz past 2 games if they're going to have a shot.

That said there's something to be said for the fact that every talking head that pontificates about this game will be telling the Griz that they have no business even being competitive. They're playing with house money at this point - we'll see if they can roll sevens.

SteelSD
December 17th, 2023, 12:00 AM
I’m excited to read a whole game thread of Montana fans bitching about the refs not calling more holding penalties.

Utgrizfan
December 17th, 2023, 12:35 AM
McDowell is going to have to play better and thankfully we have a few weeks to iron out things, get healthy, ex. I'm looking forward to a good game.

Sitting Bull
December 17th, 2023, 08:18 AM
Should be a great match-up and atmosphere.

Hard to believe the Griz have never been to Frisco. Curios how they will travel vs the Bison.

Professor Chaos
December 17th, 2023, 08:22 AM
Stats and rankings comparison added to the first post of the thread.

Ridge1982
December 17th, 2023, 09:41 AM
SDSU -14.5 DraftKings
-13.5 FanDuel

Ridge1982
December 17th, 2023, 10:04 AM

Midwesterners as a whole do. We’re still bitching about Denkinger 38 years later.

Mike296
December 17th, 2023, 10:12 AM
I don’t have ties to either team, but I feel like we’re in for another round of dominance for the next few years with this SDSU team. I don’t expect the drop off to be that high for the next few years.

mmiller_34
December 17th, 2023, 01:32 PM

#BookIt

mmiller_34
December 17th, 2023, 01:40 PM
I don’t have ties to either team, but I feel like we’re in for another round of dominance for the next few years with this SDSU team. I don’t expect the drop off to be that high for the next few years.

SDSU has put together an all-time great team. It has been amazing as a Jackrabbit fan to watch.

To get to that next level of dynastic power there are a few steps yet to master:

1. Beat Montana in this championship game.

2. Reload and continue to bury teams. Continue to return to Semi finals / championship games with new players.

3. Weather the future inevitable portal / coaches leaving fiascos — whenever they happen.

All of these remains to be seen. We’ll know 1 of 3 of these answers in the next few weeks.

Bisonator
December 17th, 2023, 03:21 PM
We'll see they are going to lose a lot of starters.

putter
December 17th, 2023, 03:50 PM
We'll see they are going to lose a lot of starters.

That is what was so impressive about NDSU. Total roster turnover, 3 different coaches and nothing slowed down at all.

The Cats
December 17th, 2023, 05:43 PM
SDSU

Ivytalk
December 17th, 2023, 06:47 PM
SDSU by two touchdowns. 35-21 or thereabouts.

Silenoz
December 17th, 2023, 10:09 PM
We'll just need the SDSU that woulda coulda shoulda lost to MSU to show up xdrunkyx

AshevilleApp2
December 18th, 2023, 01:35 AM
Hard to argue against SDSU. But I'll go with the Griz in an upset.

mvfcfan
December 18th, 2023, 08:33 AM
Not sure what to expect, but I'm pulling for the Jackrabbits!

ElCid
December 18th, 2023, 08:45 AM
I'm thinking SDSU, obviously, wins this easily. Montana has caught some breaks to get here, and the Bunnies are a machine right now. Not going to guess at the margin. I don't bet, but if I did, I wouldn't bet against them.

SeattleCat
December 18th, 2023, 09:04 AM
SDSU will win the point of attack on both sides of the ball, I don't see the griz scoring much more than 10 against SDSU. As long as SDSU doubles Gubner the griz d won't pose much of a threat, if they let Gubner penetrate and disrupt then it could turn into a defensive battle. going with SDSU 33-10.

Daytripper
December 18th, 2023, 10:22 AM

I have been around fans of both NDSU and SDSU. Both have fans that are straight-up douche bags, but I consider the large majority of both to be decent people who love their teams, respect the game, and respect opposing teams and fans.

dbackjon
December 18th, 2023, 10:29 AM
Montana in a nail biter

gotts
December 18th, 2023, 10:45 AM
Winning Margin (4-Way) via FanDuel

Montana by 1-13 Pts +470
Montana 14+ +1600
SDSU by 1-13 Pts +185
SDSU 14+ -120

I'll be looking for alternate lines as we approach gametime.

wapiti
December 18th, 2023, 10:55 AM
https://youtu.be/XcxKIJTb3Hg?si=V3VC5gFYrwgjNNPH

POD Knows
December 18th, 2023, 10:57 AM
Montana in a nail biter
Based on what, their dismantling of Furman and NDSU? LMAO.

SteelSD
December 18th, 2023, 11:32 AM
https://youtu.be/XcxKIJTb3Hg?si=V3VC5gFYrwgjNNPH
I wanted SDSU versus Furman in the Chip so I could pull this clip out!

Preferred Walk-On
December 18th, 2023, 11:39 AM
I have been around fans of both NDSU and SDSU. Both have fans that are straight-up douche bags, but I consider the large majority of both to be decent people who love their teams, respect the game, and respect opposing teams and fans.

Pretty sure this is true everywhere. One should never judge a team or fan base on the actions of a few. I think that is why fan is short for fanatic/fanatical, right?

dbackjon
December 18th, 2023, 12:18 PM
Based on what, their dismantling of Furman and NDSU? LMAO.

Based on my gut feeling.

I see the game as having two outcomes: SDSU in a blowout or Montana in a nail-biter.

I feel the Montana nail biter is more likely.

Grizzlies82
December 18th, 2023, 01:19 PM
Hard to argue against SDSU. But I'll go with the Griz in an upset.

You are a wise man, and your children will be blessed!

POD Knows
December 18th, 2023, 01:57 PM
Based on my gut feeling.

I see the game as having two outcomes: SDSU in a blowout or Montana in a nail-biter.

I feel the Montana nail biter is more likely.Why the gut feeling, what is it about Montana that would instill any confidence that they have a chance against SDSU. They barely beat NDSU at home and SDSU crushed the Bison this year, and they needed special teams play after play to beat Furman. I just don't get the allure.

I honestly thought Montana would put a beatdown on NDSU in Missoula and watching that game twice now, that game was for the taking for NDSU and NDSU is light years away from where SDSU is right now. Football is a weird game, a bunch of critical penalties against SDSU, their QB gets struck with a bolt of lightning, their oline and dline get food poisoning before the game, some injuries, I guess anything can happen.

I hope Montana wins but it would be the biggest upset in FCS Natty history.

Grizalltheway
December 18th, 2023, 02:19 PM
Why the gut feeling, what is it about Montana that would instill any confidence that they have a chance against SDSU. They barely beat NDSU at home and SDSU crushed the Bison this year, and they needed special teams play after play to beat Furman. I just don't get the allure.

I honestly thought Montana would put a beatdown on NDSU in Missoula and watching that game twice now, that game was for the taking for NDSU and NDSU is light years away from where SDSU is right now. Football is a weird game, a bunch of critical penalties against SDSU, their QB gets struck with a bolt of lightning, their oline and dline get food poisoning before the game, some injuries, I guess anything can happen.

Montana already holds that distinction, and this would not surpass 1995. Also, why aren't you bringing up the fact that SDSU barely got by MSU, a team UM crushed, and had a relatively close game against 8 seed Nova?

Silenoz
December 18th, 2023, 02:34 PM
Why the gut feeling, what is it about Montana that would instill any confidence that they have a chance against SDSU. They barely beat NDSU at home and SDSU crushed the Bison this year, and they needed special teams play after play to beat Furman. I just don't get the allure.
...and SDSU was a blown call away from losing at home to MSU. The same MSU team that was obliterated by the Griz. Any given Saturday.

I would put my money on SDSU, and I haven't forgotten Big Game Bob's other 3 championships. But you never know.

Grizzlies82
December 18th, 2023, 02:40 PM

I like the Grizzlies chances but am under no illusions about how high a hurdle they face. That said, using your example above; SDSU barely beat Montana State at home and the Grizzlies crushed Montana State by 30 points.

As you point out football is a weird game. Everyone kept doubting this year's Grizzlies. Perhaps rightfully so, they have been told they can't go beat Cal Davis, Idaho, Sacramento St, Montana State, "a very athletic" Furman, or North Dakota State...

Then after each game I read comments how the other team's QB, offense, or their guys in general just had an 'off game'. Whatever it is, somehow these Griz keep exceeding expectations and winning. It certainly hasn't always been pretty, but they believe in themselves and manage to get the job done.

I can easily see Montana winning this one, or if our guys have an "off game" xrolleyesx, getting crushed. My bet is this will be a very good game, with the former not the later outcome.

SteelSD
December 18th, 2023, 02:55 PM
...and SDSU was a blown call away from losing at home to MSU. The same MSU team that was obliterated by the Griz. Any given Saturday.

I would put my money on SDSU, and I haven't forgotten Big Game Bob's other 3 championships. But you never know.
It's interesting how the Griz fans keep bringing up the first FCS game of the season SDSU played claiming that showed weakness but giving themselves a pass for the NAU game because "our team has changed so much since then."

NorCalJack
December 18th, 2023, 03:00 PM
I like the Grizzlies chances but am under no illusions about how high a hurdle they face. That said, using your example above; SDSU barely beat Montana State at home and the Grizzlies crushed Montana State by 30 points.

That's funny, UAlbany said the same thing about us beating 'Nova. UAlbany crushed 'Nova but guess what happened to UAlbany? Hmmm....

SeattleCat
December 18th, 2023, 03:10 PM
That's funny, UAlbany said the same thing about us beating 'Nova. UAlbany crushed 'Nova but guess what happened to UAlbany? Hmmm....

Montana State was also at almost 100% health then as well, by the time we played the gris our LB, CB and Safeties corps were obliterated. We had a 4 string safety that gave up almost every big run the griz had, sad thing was you have Bobcat fans singing that dudes praises for how hard he played, he probably didn't have to play so hard if he was lined up in the right spot and took better angles but he thinks he's a burner... We were also missing 2 TEs, 1 all big sky from last year but his season ended abruptly and about 3 running backs.

POD Knows
December 18th, 2023, 03:14 PM
Montana already holds that distinction, and this would not surpass 1995. Also, why aren't you bringing up the fact that SDSU barely got by MSU, a team UM crushed, and had a relatively close game against 8 seed Nova?
Because it was early in the year. Freaking UND dropped 49 on NDSU and that was irrelevant to what is happening in the present

wapiti
December 18th, 2023, 03:21 PM

So if the MSU @ SDSU was the Rabbits toughest game of the season and SDSU wins the Natty, then that must mean MSU is the 2nd best team in FCS this season.

bigticket1
December 18th, 2023, 03:35 PM
What would the line be on a SDSU vs NAU game ?

Bisonator
December 18th, 2023, 03:42 PM
First games of a season aren't good predictors for late season games, Griz fans should know that first hand, does the 2015 season bring back memories?

I wouldn't give NDSU any better chance then the Griz if they were heading to Frisco. This years SDSU team reminds me of the 2013 Bison team. Maybe not as good as that team but senior laden, battle tested and know what it takes to get it done. That Bison team was not gonna lose. SDSU should win handily but anything can happen I suppose.

Grizalltheway
December 18th, 2023, 03:57 PM
What would the line be on a SDSU vs NAU game ?

Depends. Is SDSU dealing with flu and covid outbreaks while playing at 7,200'?

Grizzlies82
December 18th, 2023, 04:04 PM

I was just using his analogy... barely beat... while crushing. Yet you have a valid point.

Though Montana could have beaten either Villanova or Albany easily, in overtime.

Heard it here first. Book it dude!

Grizzlies82
December 18th, 2023, 04:06 PM
So if the MSU @ SDSU was the Rabbits toughest game of the season and SDSU wins the Natty, then that must mean MSU is the 2nd best team in FCS this season.

If you read the Bobcat Nation website you'd see Montana State has already crowned themselves the 2nd best team in FCS.
All of those close losses drug them right towards the top of the polls.

uofmman1122
December 18th, 2023, 04:11 PM
This Griz team has been told all season that they don't stand a chance against a plethora of teams we ended up beating.

Maybe this next one is the one where everyone is right, but I'm glad we get the chance to play the game.

You won't see me complaining about an overconfident SDSU team and fanbase, though.

Silenoz
December 18th, 2023, 04:30 PM
It's interesting how the Griz fans keep bringing up the first FCS game of the season SDSU played claiming that showed weakness but giving themselves a pass for the NAU game because "our team has changed so much since then."
No one is saying you're weak. We're just saying we have a shot. You're getting all the respect in the world, so I wouldn't take exception to that.

Silenoz
December 18th, 2023, 04:32 PM
Me: "My money's on SDSU"

People: "How dare you even slightly imply that SDSU isn't 100% invincible!"

xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 18th, 2023, 05:08 PM
SDSU by 3 TDs

Christiank22
December 18th, 2023, 05:50 PM
This Griz team has been told all season that they don't stand a chance against a plethora of teams we ended up beating.

Maybe this next one is the one where everyone is right, but I'm glad we get the chance to play the game.

You won't see me complaining about an overconfident SDSU team and fanbase, though.

The griz don’t stand a chance against SDSU. Barring an injury to half the Oline for the Jacks, Davis, and their Qb this game is over by halftime.

Grizzlies82
December 18th, 2023, 05:55 PM
The griz don’t stand a chance against SDSU. Barring an injury to half the Oline for the Jacks, Davis, and their Qb this game is over by halftime.

So Dakota State has a great team.

Though the only aspect of it which really concerns me is the RB Davis. Nobody seems to be able to contain that dude. I hope our guys have better luck than most.

Christiank22
December 18th, 2023, 06:14 PM
So Dakota State has a great team.

Though the only aspect of it which really concerns me is the RB Davis. Nobody seems to be able to contain that dude. I hope our guys have better luck than most.

He’s not the reason the run game is good. It’s their line. Hell WE were getting a massive push with our line against you guys. Something I haven’t seen us do all year.

Utgrizfan
December 18th, 2023, 06:35 PM
Me: "My money's on SDSU"

People: "How dare you even slightly imply that SDSU isn't 100% invincible!"

xlolx

I'm definitely getting that vibe from some Dakota State fans, God forbid we root for our team and how dare we think we have a shot. It's like they want us to roll over, screw that Any Given Saturday.

SteelSD
December 18th, 2023, 06:51 PM
I'm definitely getting that vibe from some Dakota State fans, God forbid we root for our team and how dare we think we have a shot. It's like they want us to roll over, screw that Any Given Saturday.
Sorry, didn't realize we were on Egriz here and was sure this thread was about the upcoming game, not the self help thread for Montana fans. Also, you realize most of the people who have posted in this thread aren’t actually Jacks fans, right?

That being said, let me be the first to offer you some cheese…

JacksFan40
December 18th, 2023, 06:53 PM
It’s also funny because we had a struggle win in our first FCS game last year against UC-Davis and still won the natty by 24 points. Turns out good teams tend to play better as the year goes on.

SteelSD
December 18th, 2023, 06:59 PM
It’s also funny because we had a struggle win in our first FCS game last year against UC-Davis and still won the natty by 24 points. Turns out good teams tend to play better as the year goes on.
I just hope Davis doesn't get hurt, we apparently don't stand a chance without him.

Silenoz
December 18th, 2023, 07:02 PM
Griz fans: "We might have a chance-"

Jackrabbit fans: "WE ARE SO DISRESPECTED"

This is gonna be a long couple of weeks xlolx

AZJack
December 18th, 2023, 07:20 PM
Griz fans: "We might have a chance-"

Jackrabbit fans: "WE ARE SO DISRESPECTED"

This is gonna be a long couple of weeks xlolx

It may a be few long weeks at this rate. xlolx

Griz will be a formidable foe and should be a fun game. I only watched the Furman game in the playoffs and bits of the NDSU game, but the QB play at times would concern me if I was a MT fan.

Do the Griz rotate D-line or have a core group of 5-7? The Jacks have worn down every defensive front they've played this year, the Jacks O-line vs MT D-line is the matchup I'm most interested as a fan.

Christiank22
December 18th, 2023, 07:48 PM

Griz will be a formidable foe and should be a fun game. I only watched the Furman game in the playoffs and bits of the NDSU game, but the QB play at times would concern me if I was a MT fan.

Do the Griz rotate D-line or have a core group of 5-7? The Jacks have worn down every defensive front they've played this year, the Jacks O-line vs MT D-line is the matchup I'm most interested as a fan.

Jacks Oline will absolutely destroy the MT D Line.

Iowagriz
December 18th, 2023, 08:40 PM
Jacks- tell me about the twin brothers, wideouts or slot guys? I only watched part of your Albany game and was impressed with those two. Any other receivers to be aware of?

David is obviously good, but there must be others we should watch.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

ElCid
December 18th, 2023, 08:49 PM
Montana already holds that distinction, and this would not surpass 1995.

You need to elaborate on this claim. Pretty sure this would be bigger.

caribbeanhen
December 18th, 2023, 09:03 PM
How about that number 20 ranking for South Dakota State on Massey

That’s the highest I ever remember an FCS team

I think some North Dakota State teams, before the transfer of power, were definitely in the top 30

Christiank22
December 18th, 2023, 09:08 PM
How about that number 20 ranking for South Dakota State on Massey

That’s the highest I ever remember an FCS team

I think some North Dakota State teams, before the transfer of power, were definitely in the top 30

I don’t know anything about Massey, I know 2013 NDSU was 17 on Sagarin

POD Knows
December 18th, 2023, 09:18 PM
I don’t know anything about Massey, I know 2013 NDSU was 17 on SagarinThis SDSU team is better than the 2013 Bison, prove me wrong, go player for player on O and D. They have advantages almost everywhere. I know it is hard to gauge but they are clearly better at the skill positions on offense, their QB is better, their RB's are better, their receivers are a hell of a lot better and they are better at TE and probably better at O line. I think the D is pretty close.

AZJack
December 18th, 2023, 09:29 PM
This SDSU team is better than the 2013 Bison, prove me wrong, go player for player on O and D. They have advantages almost everywhere. I know it is hard to gauge but they are clearly better at the skill positions on offense, their QB is better, their RB's are better, their receivers are a hell of a lot better and they are better at TE and probably better at O line. I think the D is pretty close.

Just as a side note, Bill Connelly from ESPN has the 2018 Bison team as the best FCS team of all time according to his (maybe ESPN's) metric. This Jacks team is right behind that at the moment. Will take a giant beat down of the Griz to surpass them.

Don't like the Bison at all, but what their program has accomplished is damn impressive and crazy to watch.

Christiank22
December 18th, 2023, 09:34 PM
This SDSU team is better than the 2013 Bison, prove me wrong, go player for player on O and D. They have advantages almost everywhere. I know it is hard to gauge but they are clearly better at the skill positions on offense, their QB is better, their RB's are better, their receivers are a hell of a lot better and they are better at TE and probably better at O line. I think the D is pretty close.

No need to get so defensive for your jacks. I was just pointing out where the 2013 Bison finished. It’s the highest finish for an FCS team on sagarin ever. 2018 Bison are right behind them at 19.

Chalupa Batman
December 18th, 2023, 09:35 PM

It's close. I feel a game between the two teams would look a lot like the game we had against Kansas State in 2013, down to the wire. This SDSU offense against that defense would be an epic matchup.

SteelSD
December 18th, 2023, 10:18 PM
Jacks- tell me about the twin brothers, wideouts or slot guys? I only watched part of your Albany game and was impressed with those two. Any other receivers to be aware of?

The Janke's play out wide. Of the other receivers the main one to watch for is the true Freshman Griffin Wilde. He is the one that took to screen to the house against Albany later in the game. Heavily recruited and likely to be the next true alpha. We run a lot of 12 personnel so other other pass target to watch for is the TE Heins. We don't really utilize a traditional "slot" type scat receiver. All our receivers tend to be 6'2+.

JacksFan40
December 18th, 2023, 10:20 PM

The Jankes are the ones to watch out for. We only really throw to them, Wilde, and Heins.

ElCid
December 18th, 2023, 10:53 PM
I don’t know anything about Massey, I know 2013 NDSU was 17 on Sagarin

I have the history going way back. I'll try to remember to check but I think that #17 was the highest going just from memory. I do remember that one of the worst champ rating number was like around 75. All depends on how connected they are and obviously how good the FBS performs against their FCS opponents in that year.

Chalupa Batman
December 18th, 2023, 11:02 PM
The Jankes are the ones to watch out for. We only really throw to them, Wilde, and Heins.

You guys used to throw to the RB's a decent amount too but I haven't seen much of that the last few games. You'd be smart to bring that back, having a few screen plays in the bag will come in handy against the Griz blitzes. Unfortunately I don't think we've run one since the Obama administration.

caribbeanhen
December 18th, 2023, 11:03 PM
No FBS game for S Dak St this year, any truth in that is because no FBS really wanted to play the Jack a lopes?

Oklahoma St next year?

ElCid
December 18th, 2023, 11:25 PM

I'm sure everyone realizes you can't compare the computer ranking numbers from different years. Totally different animals each and every year. So I'll take your word for it.

#20 is good, but without SDSU playing an FBS game, the transitive connections get further separated and much more unreliable. Like SDSU played YSU, who played Ohio St. Or they played Mercer who played Ole Miss. Not knocking the Bunnies at all, but they'd get beat by a bunch of FBS teams they are rated over in Massey. It's one of its flaws. At a glance, they might win 3-5 games over the top 40 which are nearly all P5. Just an opinion. I might give them an even chance for the next 25 and favor them for all else. Depth would be telling.

uofmman1122
December 19th, 2023, 01:52 AM

This simultaneously makes me really nervous, and somehow actually gives me a little bit of confidence (with a caveat).

McDowell has looked....uh....downright bad the last 2 games. Worse than he's looked all season. That's a credit to Furman and NDSU, but he's making bad decisions and overthinking reads he wasn't struggling with just weeks ago. For example, I think he left nearly 100 yards of scrambles on the field by not taking easy, open running lanes last Saturday, opting to make bad throws, instead. If SDSU can befuddle him like he has been, they'll win easily, but if he can get to playing loose like he was before the Furman game, his playmaking can keep us in it.

He's a frustrating QB to defend against because he's not the best thrower, and he's incredibly awkward running the ball at times, but you lose track of him and suddenly he's either lobbing it to one of our 3 great receivers that's gotten open, or gangling down the field 20 yards at a time after escaping the pocket lol

Utgrizfan
December 19th, 2023, 03:16 AM
Sorry, didn't realize we were on Egriz here and was sure this thread was about the upcoming game, not the self help thread for Montana fans. Also, you realize most of the people who have posted in this thread aren’t actually Jacks fans, right?

That being said, let me be the first to offer you some cheese…

I mean you're the chief offender so far in regards to apparently getting offended/upset when people dare bring up anything but a dominating SDSU win or discuss the game objectively, sorry different opinions seem to be hurting your feelings, seems you need the cheese more then me.

Utgrizfan
December 19th, 2023, 03:22 AM
This simultaneously makes me really nervous, and somehow actually gives me a little bit of confidence (with a caveat).

McDowell has looked....uh....downright bad the last 2 games. Worse than he's looked all season. That's a credit to Furman and NDSU, but he's making bad decisions and overthinking reads he wasn't struggling with just weeks ago. For example, I think he left nearly 100 yards of scrambles on the field by not taking easy, open running lanes last Saturday, opting to make bad throws, instead. If SDSU can befuddle him like he has been, they'll win easily, but if he can get to playing loose like he was before the Furman game, his playmaking can keep us in it.

He's a frustrating QB to defend against because he's not the best thrower, and he's incredibly awkward running the ball at times, but you lose track of him and suddenly he's either lobbing it to one of our 3 great receivers that's gotten open, or gangling down the field 20 yards at a time after escaping the pocket lol

It looked to me he may have been told not to scramble or try to plush the ball downfield as much as possible, There were a couple times during the game where he could have taken off for 15+ yards but instead kept looking and took a sack, cost us FG range once and potentially a TD. Good news is we have three weeks to get completely healthy on the offensive line which will help and for him to work out some things.

JSUSoutherner
December 19th, 2023, 06:22 AM
Got my ticket to Frisco. Hope this game is a good one.

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2023, 06:52 AM

I would rather have hernia surgery than go to the Jacks game. That was my choice.

Griz have a chance, if they have a good game, special teams and defense scores, and the bunnies make some mistakes.

Don't plan on sitting at this game.

Get a good BBQ experience at Hutchins, best BBQ in DFW.

UNHWildcat18
December 19th, 2023, 07:19 AM

So uh, what colors will you be wearing? I admit, when I was a kid and started following FCS football I obviously was a UNH fan and payed attention to the A-10 to then CAA teams at then time. However I actually rooted for the Griz as well, figured I needed a team far away to root for when UNH was out, Montana and NH are very similar. No FBS teams, very outdoorsy state, rural type attitude for the most part, loved the stadium and the jerseys.

That being said I could never justify the money and time unless it was UNH playing in Frisco lol. I hope the Griz pull it off in Frisco, and I don't root for them in a general sense anymore like when I was a kid.

mvemjsunpx
December 19th, 2023, 07:21 AM

This would definitely surpass 1995 in terms of upset level. The '95 title game featured #6 Montana against #5 Marshall—not much of an upset, even with the Herd at home.

ElCid
December 19th, 2023, 08:10 AM
This would definitely surpass 1995 in terms of upset level. The '95 title game featured #6 Montana against #5 Marshall—not much of an upset, even with the Herd at home.

That's what I saw. Not sure how he was cyphering this.

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2023, 08:28 AM
https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma-state/article/oklahoma-state-football-to-play-south-dakota-state-2024-season-non-conference-schedule-190084343/amp/

Would love to see this game now because a denier believed your top 20 ranking is total BS

Iowagriz
December 19th, 2023, 08:41 AM
I read on some forum (egriz?) that McDowell has been playing with a huge throwing hands the last few games. No idea if this is true, but his game does seem different the past two weeks.

I also agree with the above in that he has been tentative to throw and not as decisive on his running decisions. If true, 3 weeks will make a positive difference.

dewey
December 19th, 2023, 09:05 AM

100% agreed with Hutchins. Get there a little early as there is normally quite the line but I can assure you it is worth the wait.

Their most brisket is to die for.

We went to Hard Eight's last year too. That was really good too.

A few other fun things to do is an AT&T stadium tour (home of the Dallas Cowboys) or go to the Stockyards in Fort Worth.

You can park for free about 1-2 blocks East of the stadium on game day.

Dewey

Bisonator
December 19th, 2023, 09:15 AM
Not going thru every position but I'd take 2013 Bison. I may be biased though...:D

POD Knows
December 19th, 2023, 09:26 AM
Not going thru every position but I'd take 2013 Bison. I may be biased though...:DIt would be a great game, that Bison team had "it" but I do not think they were as strong position by position as this SDSU team is, it is a close call. I know that the 2013 absolutely destroyed everybody they played in the playoffs and Natty that year, much like SDSU is doing now (Villanova game was competitive for a while). The biggest difference between the current SDSU and NDSU teams is in the offensive skill positions. O lines are probably a wash, maybe a slight nod to NDSU, D is close, NDSU had a lot of dudes on the 2013 team.

Bisonator
December 19th, 2023, 09:41 AM
I read on some forum (egriz?) that McDowell has been playing with a huge throwing hands the last few games. No idea if this is true, but his game does seem different the past two weeks.

I also agree with the above in that he has been tentative to throw and not as decisive on his running decisions. If true, 3 weeks will make a positive difference.

Why would this be an issue? I thought tiny hands were more of an issue? xlolx

FUBeAR
December 19th, 2023, 09:41 AM

Sent from my SM-S908U using TapatalkNo idea what this "McDowell has been playing with a huge throwing hands" means....but ... anyway ...

Prior to the Furman @ Montana game, FUBeAR inquired (and did his own research) regarding Mr. McDowell.

FUBeAR's curiosity revolved around Mr. McDowell's statistical mediocrity (this is an objective fact; not a subjective criticism) at 3 prior colleges before his sudden ascent to such praiseworthy heights @ Montana for his play against 7 Big Sky Teams and a CAA Team w/a suspect Defense (giving up almost 40 PPG down the stretch).

Furman and NDSU, unquestionably, have 2 of the better Defenses in FCS.

FUBeAR knows it's an almost incomprehensible concept for us Griz fans to even consider....but, perhaps, just maybe, the level of competition Mr. McDowell has seen from a SoCon Team and an MVFC Team vs. that which he faced from those 7 Big Sky Conference opponents and that CAA Team with a suspect Defense, has negatively impacted his results.

At least statistically, if not in fact, SDSU has, by far, the best Defense in FCS. Mr. McDowell may be, again, challenged to produce as easily as he did against those 7 Big Sky opponents and the CAA Team with the suspect Defense.

Grizalltheway
December 19th, 2023, 10:12 AM
No idea what this "McDowell has been playing with a huge throwing hands" means....but ... anyway ...

Prior to the Furman @ Montana game, FUBeAR inquired (and did his own research) regarding Mr. McDowell.

FUBeAR's curiosity revolved around Mr. McDowell's statistical mediocrity (this is an objective fact; not a subjective criticism) at 3 prior colleges before his sudden ascent to such praiseworthy heights @ Montana for his play against 7 Big Sky Teams and a CAA Team w/a suspect Defense (giving up almost 40 PPG down the stretch).

Furman and NDSU, unquestionably, have 2 of the better Defenses in FCS.

FUBeAR knows it's an almost incomprehensible concept for us Griz fans to even consider....but, perhaps, just maybe, the level of competition Mr. McDowell has seen from a SoCon Team and an MVFC Team vs. that which he faced from those 7 Big Sky Conference opponents and that CAA Team with a suspect Defense, has negatively impacted his results.

At least statistically, if not in fact, SDSU has, by far, the best Defense in FCS. Mr. McDowell may be, again, challenged to produce as easily as he did against those 7 Big Sky opponents and the CAA Team with the suspect Defense.

11-0 as a starter and playing for a national title. Perfectly happy with those results.
And I think he means busted up hand, according to the article posted on eGriz.

FUBeAR
December 19th, 2023, 10:43 AM
11-0 as a starter and playing for a national title. Perfectly happy with those results.
Our fellow Griz fans…
McDowell has looked....uh....downright bad the last 2 games. Worse than he's looked all season. That's a credit to Furman and NDSU, but he's making bad decisions and overthinking reads he wasn't struggling with just weeks ago. For example, I think he left nearly 100 yards of scrambles on the field by not taking easy, open running lanes last Saturday, opting to make bad throws, instead. If SDSU can befuddle him like he has been, they'll win easily, but if he can get to playing…like he was before the Furman game…
There were a couple times during the game where he could have taken off for 15+ yards but instead kept looking and took a sack, cost us FG range once and potentially a TD.
…his game does seem different the past two weeks.

I also agree with the above in that he has been tentative to throw and not as decisive on his running decisions.…seem to be looking to explain his performance the past 2 games.

Reckon why you didn’t respond to their comments?

Iowagriz
December 19th, 2023, 11:30 AM

That was a big error of typing on my part. Rumor is that he has a hurt hand....not sure if they are huge hurt hands, or just regular sized hurt hands.

uofmman1122
December 19th, 2023, 11:51 AM
Our fellow Griz fans……seem to be looking to explain his performance the past 2 games.

I get what you're saying here: "He's looked bad because he's finally playing good defenses", and I definitely think that's part of it. None of the Big Sky defenses we saw are as good as those two team's defenses.

But if you watch the film, he has open guys and isn't making the throws like he did before.

He has running lanes on scrambles and read option looks, and he's not taking them like he did before.

It would be one thing if those chances weren't there due to the defense taking them away, but they aren't.

Against SDSU, he has to take everything because the bunnies are going to give him even less than the last two defenses did.

Grizalltheway
December 19th, 2023, 11:51 AM
Our fellow Griz fans……seem to be looking to explain his performance the past 2 games.

It's possible for something to have more than one contributing factor, i.e. he's been playing better defenses AND has an injury to his hand that is detrimental to his performance.

Grizzlies82
December 19th, 2023, 12:11 PM

It seems to be the common fan response as teams advance in the playoffs...

"Well, my guy just didn't play well today" or the equivalent to explain why their player/players did not match their usual output. Whether it was Furman's SOCON MVP not producing, or NDSU QB's 75% completion average falling to just 41%, or in this case us MT fans assessing our QB not playing his best. Sometimes players have an off game. Yet, as you pointed out, typically the real answer is a huge jump up in the quality of competition as the playoffs progress.

This does not mean the average SOCON or MVFC teams are any better than the average Big Sky teams. However, the SOCON Champs, and what's effectively the 2nd best MVFC team, are definitely better than most of the Big Sky teams.

FUBeAR
December 19th, 2023, 12:20 PM
https://youtu.be/nsBByTiKfyY?feature=shared
the SOCON Champs…are definitely better than most of the Big Sky teams.
OMG!!! Can we immortalize this moment on AGS somehow?

Is it possible to bronze a post?

Grizzlies82
December 19th, 2023, 12:41 PM
OMG!!! Can we immortalize this moment on AGS somehow?

Is it possible to bronze a post?

In honor of you becoming an honorary Grizzly, I grant you my permission to both bronze it, and trademark it, if you wish.

Consider it my Christmas gift to you and all of those other deep south teams which can't compete with "Western Speed".

Though don't abuse this gift. No marketing T-shirts, coffee mugs and such. That would be a step too far! A simple bronze should suffice.

JSUSoutherner
December 19th, 2023, 10:46 PM
So uh, what colors will you be wearing? I admit, when I was a kid and started following FCS football I obviously was a UNH fan and payed attention to the A-10 to then CAA teams at then time. However I actually rooted for the Griz as well, figured I needed a team far away to root for when UNH was out, Montana and NH are very similar. No FBS teams, very outdoorsy state, rural type attitude for the most part, loved the stadium and the jerseys.

That being said I could never justify the money and time unless it was UNH playing in Frisco lol. I hope the Griz pull it off in Frisco, and I don't root for them in a general sense anymore like when I was a kid.
Same as last year. SDSU colors.

However if any Griz fans want to bring me a dope hoodie I could be persuaded. (I wear a medium xsmiley_wix)

This will be my fourth time going to Frisco. Even though my team isn't participating, it's still a fun event to go to. The tailgate and getting to see friends in the days leading up to the game are why I really go.

Plus, I was able to get work to pay for my flight down this year. :D

I would rather have hernia surgery than go to the Jacks game. That was my choice.

Griz have a chance, if they have a good game, special teams and defense scores, and the bunnies make some mistakes.

Don't plan on sitting at this game.

I've been to Hutchins a few times. Great place. Was going to go last week but traffic between Denton and Frisco was horrendous so I ended up at Hard Eight in Coppell.

KPSUL
December 23rd, 2023, 07:59 AM
Same as last year. SDSU colors.

This will be my fourth time going to Frisco. Even though my team isn't participating, it's still a fun event to go to. The tailgate and getting to see friends in the days leading up to the game are why I really go.

Well JSU Southerner we've got something in common, this will also be my 4th time going to a FCS Championship game in Frisco - and as I'm sure everyone on AGS knows, my team has never been playing there. The previous 3 include the JSU vs NDSU matchup. I'm a Griz fan for the weekend and I'll be wearing both U of MT and UNH shirts that I'll be able to switch around.

Congratulations to JSU for winning their Bowl Game!

bonarae
December 30th, 2023, 05:49 AM
Bumping this thread. One week has passed since the last post.

For my take:

Score / margin predictions at the final whistle, anyone?

I'll take the Jacks, around 17-24 points.

caribbeanhen
December 30th, 2023, 08:28 AM
Bumping this thread. One week has passed since the last post.

For my take:

Score / margin predictions at the final whistle, anyone?

I'll take the Jacks, around 17-24 points.

Jackaloupes in a blowout at least by 3 TDs

SteelSD
December 30th, 2023, 09:48 AM
Tee time is secured for Saturday. Hotels are booked. Is it Thursday yet?! LFG!

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 1st, 2024, 02:13 PM
Both of these teams are better than Liberty imo....

KPSUL
January 1st, 2024, 03:02 PM
Both of these teams are better than Liberty imo....

Well it looks like Oregon is way better than Liberty!

Professor Chaos
January 1st, 2024, 04:38 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1741949989352243272

So, if you're right and with the same bet amount, you could make more off a 13 point Montana win than you could off of a 42 point SDSU win.

ysubigred
January 1st, 2024, 05:48 PM
Both of these teams are better than Liberty imo....And Florida State..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2024, 12:07 PM
Flight is finally booked. Leggo

UofRfan23
January 3rd, 2024, 02:53 PM
Where is this McDowell hand injury article? I couldn't find on egriz. Assume he'd be better for the title game?

NY Crusader 2010
January 3rd, 2024, 02:57 PM
I think this game ends up being closer than expected. SDSU wins by about a TD.

Grizzlies82
January 3rd, 2024, 03:23 PM
Where is this McDowell hand injury article? I couldn't find on egriz. Assume he'd be better for the title game?

A few games back (Delaware?, Furman?) he banged up his hand. It was obviously bothering him in not only that game but the following week as well.

Perhaps he broke a finger? Whatever it was, it was more than just an annoyance. Regardless, by now I suspect it had time to improve/heal for this weekend's game.

Hope all of our guys are at 100%, they'll certainly need to be.

Paladin1aa
January 3rd, 2024, 08:15 PM
Bunnies by 17

Grizzlies82
January 4th, 2024, 08:42 AM
Could be a close game, though it won't be.

The physical beatdown the Montana Grizzlies administers to the Bunnies this Sunday may be so severe...

The Governor of South Dakota cedes the entire NW corner of her state to North Dakota in order to create a "Safe Zone" between her traumatized citizens and the state of Montana.

Professor Chaos
January 4th, 2024, 10:48 AM

The physical beatdown the Montana Grizzlies administers to the Bunnies this Sunday may be so severe...

The Governor of South Dakota cedes the entire NW corner of her state to North Dakota in order to create a "Safe Zone" between her traumatized citizens and the state of Montana.
We only accept if the Black Hills are included.

caribbeanhen
January 4th, 2024, 12:28 PM
These Frisco threads were much better with Bison fans

I guess if I ever drive cross country again I’ll be skipping dry South Dakota and going north

RahRahRabbits
January 4th, 2024, 01:10 PM
How many teddy bear fans are making the trek down via land? Looks to be about twice as far as the trip from Brookings, so I would imagine more are going through the air.

It was fun last year making the whole 850+ mile drive running into both Jackrabbit and Bison fans at nearly every stop. Plenty of opportunity for friendly banter along the whole way.

Grizzlies82
January 4th, 2024, 08:48 PM
How many teddy bear fans are making the trek down via land? Looks to be about twice as far as the trip from Brookings, so I would imagine more are going through the air.

It was fun last year making the whole 850+ mile drive running into both Jackrabbit and Bison fans at nearly every stop. Plenty of opportunity for friendly banter along the whole way.

Don't know any precise numbers but am expecting a sizeable turnout of Griz fans. The 4,000 ticket allocation disappeared almost instantly. Of course many more bought outside of the schools tickets. Again, no idea on numbers but believe we might have about half the stadium wearing Griz gear.

As to travel, it is a fair distance. Several are driving. However, it is 1,300 miles just from here in Billings (south central MT). Add another 5 or 6 hours for those driving from western Montana. Thankfully the weather is optimum for a long January drive.

Considering the time and distance, myself and many others will be filling the Seattle, Salt Lake, Denver, or Minneapolis airports connecting down there. Or some can take the non-stop flights into DFW on American. The catch is even the most basic economy seats jumped up in price to about $1,000, with American's non-stops even worse. None the less, I have friends who flew today, we fly tomorrow, and others coming in on Saturday. Even though our guys are huge underdogs our fans are anxious to be there. Enjoy the game!
Go Griz!

Grizzlies82
January 4th, 2024, 08:51 PM
We only accept if the Black Hills are included.

They will be yours. Though you will have to allow us to continue enjoying them too.

Grizzlies82
January 5th, 2024, 05:46 AM

You were all warned. A mauling is about to ensue!

Sunday, the tears of grief from South Dakota residents will create flood hazards in Nebraska, Iowa, and all other downstream states! Prepare and be safe. Help yourselves and your loved ones... sandbag your homes, stock up on canned goods, head to higher ground.

Mark my words. I've done all I can to help you folks. I'm off now to bask in the glory of Texas BBQ brisket and a Grizzlies victory.

Go Griz!

Redbird 4th & short
January 5th, 2024, 10:48 AM
That is what was so impressive about NDSU. Total roster turnover, 3 different coaches and nothing slowed down at all.

Still think 2013 was best Bison team, and they lost a lot in 2014 .. yet still won it again over my ISUr in a close game. Sadly, our best year wasn't good enough for their down year.

Speaking of which .. doesn't SDSU lose a lot of starts/reps/stats after this season ?

Catbooster
January 5th, 2024, 11:45 AM
Still think 2013 was best Bison team, and they lost a lot in 2014 .. yet still won it again over my ISUr in a close game. Sadly, our best year wasn't good enough for their down year.

Speaking of which .. doesn't SDSU lose a lot of starts/reps/stats after this season ?
I'm not sure, I've heard/read that they have over 30 seniors (can't remember the exact number), which would be roughly 1/3 of the roster if I'm not mistaken. But I've also heard that due to Covid years, etc. about half of the seniors may be back next year.

Professor Chaos
January 5th, 2024, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure, I've heard/read that they have over 30 seniors (can't remember the exact number), which would be roughly 1/3 of the roster if I'm not mistaken. But I've also heard that due to Covid years, etc. about half of the seniors may be back next year.
They're losing quite a bit I believe - All-American OT Greenfield, All-American OG McCormick, All-MVFC TE Heins, the Janke bros at WR (one is first team all-MVFC and the other is honorable mention), All-MVFC DE Terveer, All-MVFC LB Freeman, All-MVFC DT Van Marel, and 3-yeard starting CB Gales. I'm probably missing some but that's the 6th year guys that I know of that are key pieces of their team. Their All-American RB Isaiah Davis could come back next year but it seems most are expecting him to declare for the NFL draft where he could be a mid-round pick.

I wouldn't expect them to come crashing down into mediocrity though. Pending the results of this game on Sunday they were head and shoulders above any other FCS team this season. Even taking heavy losses they're capable of still being a prime national title contender IMO. One big name not mentioned is their QB and Payton Award finalist Mark Gronowski. I'm pretty sure he could play another 2 years after this one if he wanted to.

CHIP72
January 5th, 2024, 12:43 PM
I don't know if the following has been noted in the thread (haven't read most of the thread), but I'll drop it here:

*In D2, NAIA, and D3 this season, the #1 ranked team at the end of the regular season was undefeated and then reached the championship game. All three #1 teams (D2: Colorado School of Mines; NAIA: Northwestern (IA); D3: North Central (IL)) lost in the championship game. (Two of the three #1 ranked teams were also the defending national champion in their classification, and all three #1 teams played in the title game the previous season.)

Beware South Dakota State (and Michigan)!

NDSU1980
January 5th, 2024, 01:07 PM
The Bunnies roll in this game. I'd be surprised if it isn't over by halftime.

POD Knows
January 5th, 2024, 05:24 PM
They're losing quite a bit I believe - All-American OT Greenfield, All-American OG McCormick, All-MVFC TE Heins, the Janke bros at WR (one is first team all-MVFC and the other is honorable mention), All-MVFC DE Terveer, All-MVFC LB Freeman, All-MVFC DT Van Marel, and 3-yeard starting CB Gales. I'm probably missing some but that's the 6th year guys that I know of that are key pieces of their team. Their All-American RB Isaiah Davis could come back next year but it seems most are expecting him to declare for the NFL draft where he could be a mid-round pick.

I wouldn't expect them to come crashing down into mediocrity though. Pending the results of this game on Sunday they were head and shoulders above any other FCS team this season. Even taking heavy losses they're capable of still being a prime national title contender IMO. One big name not mentioned is their QB and Payton Award finalist Mark Gronowski. I'm pretty sure he could play another 2 years after this one if he wanted to.
Rumors abound regarding their OC going to Northwestern and taking Gronowski with him.

JSUSoutherner
January 5th, 2024, 09:21 PM
Have yet to see a Montana fan here.

RahRahRabbits
January 5th, 2024, 09:48 PM
Have yet to see a Montana fan here.Found a few Griz fans down in Plano/Richardson area at a BBQ place. Seemed like nice enough people despite their gaudy maroon apparel. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

SeattleCat
January 6th, 2024, 07:45 AM

Did you check under rocks? Or perhaps Walmart?

FUBeAR
January 6th, 2024, 07:55 AM
Turn around. We Griz are known for making contact from behind. It got us to Frisco, y’know.

Christiank22
January 6th, 2024, 01:53 PM
Frankly I don’t see a possible way in which Montana makes this even a close game. Will be surprised to see them score more than 10 points

POD Knows
January 6th, 2024, 04:56 PM
Frankly I don’t see a possible way in which Montana makes this even a close game. Will be surprised to see them score more than 10 points
They are gonna need multiple huge plays on special teams to keep this close.

Christiank22
January 6th, 2024, 09:02 PM
They are gonna need multiple huge plays on special teams to keep this close.

Agreed. I would love to see Montana in an upset but SDSU is too good and the rest of the FCS is too bad

UNHWildcat18
January 6th, 2024, 09:12 PM
Sorry but Brosmer deserved the Walton, did a lot more with a significantly weaker OL and team overall. Insert any top 30 QB at SDSU and they are probably still in the ship.

KPSUL
January 6th, 2024, 09:24 PM

First guy I saw wearing Championship game garb was a Griz fan - waiting to pick up our rental cars as DFW.

RahRahRabbits
January 6th, 2024, 10:47 PM
Lots of Griz fans in non-maroon or non-school apparel at all. Asked a couple why they aren't in team gear... said they were saving their shirts for tomorrow...

Do you guys need some financial help up there if you can't afford at least 2-3 shirts total?

Lots of excitement on both sides, tomorrow is going to be a fun day!!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Catbooster
January 7th, 2024, 12:57 AM
Last time they made it to the Championship it was in Chattanooga. Maybe they went to the wrong place.

xdrunkyx

bonarae
January 7th, 2024, 01:49 AM
Excited for today!

Sadly when the championship trophy is awarded, I will still be asleep. Hopeful for a peaceful game.

bonarae
January 7th, 2024, 01:53 AM
I don't know if the following has been noted in the thread (haven't read most of the thread), but I'll drop it here:

*In D2, NAIA, and D3 this season, the #1 ranked team at the end of the regular season was undefeated and then reached the championship game. All three #1 teams (D2: Colorado School of Mines; NAIA: Northwestern (IA); D3: North Central (IL)) lost in the championship game. (Two of the three #1 ranked teams were also the defending national champion in their classification, and all three #1 teams played in the title game the previous season.)

It wasn't noted in this thread until you posted this tidbit.

Hmm, will the Jacks and the Wolverines reverse this disturbing curse of the #1 seed in college football playoffs in 2023? xprayx

bonarae
January 7th, 2024, 01:56 AM
Sorry but Brosmer deserved the Walton, did a lot more with a significantly weaker OL and team overall. Insert any top 30 QB at SDSU and they are probably still in the ship.

But Brosmer moved out before the awarding ceremony; that might be a reason it went to Gronowski.

JSUSoutherner
January 7th, 2024, 07:35 AM
Well JSU Southerner we've got something in common, this will also be my 4th time going to a FCS Championship game in Frisco - and as I'm sure everyone on AGS knows, my team has never been playing there. The previous 3 include the JSU vs NDSU matchup. I'm a Griz fan for the weekend and I'll be wearing both U of MT and UNH shirts that I'll be able to switch around.

Doesn't seem like any of the Montana fans are going to take me up on the request for some Griz gear so I'll be wearing SDSU gear into the stadium.

I'll be wandering around the tailgate lot in a red JSU hoodie this morning, so if you see me come over and say hi. I should be pretty easy to spot based on my experience at The Local the past couple days lol

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 7th, 2024, 08:10 AM
SDSU will take the foot off the pedal in the 2nd so the score will look closer than it truly is.

SDSU 49-13

Pards Rule
January 7th, 2024, 08:46 AM
First guy I saw wearing Championship game garb was a Griz fan - waiting to pick up our rental cars as DFW.

You going to NC? I went in Jan 2012 first NC for NDSU. It was a cold snap in north Texas I recall, chilly!

Pards Rule
January 7th, 2024, 08:53 AM

Wow - yeah and Michael Irvin cribbed Pearson pretty damn good in his Dallas tenure. FINALLY toward the end of his rime there calls were made on that run out and shove off move. I always liked Minny and Bud Grant played for the Eagles! Go Birds! RIP Bud...Hey Im rooting for Buffalo this year - Eagles arent going far and I have family in Rochester NY and always liked city of Buffalo and the Bills. What about the cars!? Inquiring minds ya know!

Pards Rule
January 7th, 2024, 08:57 AM
Winning Margin (4-Way) via FanDuel

Montana by 1-13 Pts +470
Montana 14+ +1600
SDSU by 1-13 Pts +185
SDSU 14+ -120

I'll be looking for alternate lines as we approach gametime.

Anything today on game day. I will be watching.

Pards Rule
January 7th, 2024, 09:04 AM

First time D3 champ Cortland (NY) State. About midway between Binghamton and Syracuse on I-81

Pards Rule
January 7th, 2024, 09:13 AM

LOL I went in 2012 and wore an NDSU shirt and a Lafayette hat with a leopard taped to the top. Amazingly saw another dude with Lafayette sweatshirt at half (it was a chilly weekend that year) and found out he was a local who turned out for the game. Have fun

Ridge1982
January 7th, 2024, 09:27 AM
The first of the final two days of the college football season. :(

KPSUL
January 7th, 2024, 09:30 AM
You going to NC? I went in Jan 2012 first NC for NDSU. It was a cold snap in north Texas I recall, chilly!

Yes, this will be my 4th here in Frisco, But the coldest I've been in Toyota Stadium was a Soccer game in mid-march.

Pards Rule
January 7th, 2024, 11:21 AM
Yes, this will be my 4th here in Frisco, But the coldest I've been in Toyota Stadium was a Soccer game in mid-march.
There was another year I didnt go but I think they had a snow dusting that morning (Sat before Sunday games) and I recall seeing Denton TX, NW of Frisco, actually had a few inches!

JSUSoutherner
January 7th, 2024, 12:13 PM
There was another year I didnt go but I think they had a snow dusting that morning (Sat before Sunday games) and I recall seeing Denton TX, NW of Frisco, actually had a few inches!
There were flurries my first time here in 2015 when we got slapped by NDSU. That **** was cold.

Bison56
January 7th, 2024, 12:45 PM
95% of Griz fans are annoying.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 12:47 PM
I took Montana. I think they have just enough to pull the upset. Plus, as a program they feel "due"....

Bison56
January 7th, 2024, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately SDSU wins easily.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 01:12 PM
Griz have to tackle better. They're yielding way too many yards after contact...

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 01:15 PM
What a drive! 7 minutes!

JacksFan40
January 7th, 2024, 01:17 PM
If the Griz don’t buckle down on defense this will get ugly.

Professor Chaos
January 7th, 2024, 01:19 PM
Apparently someone told this officiating crew that grabbing facemasks is legal - looks like they've missed pretty obvious ones on both teams now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 01:28 PM
Wow! 4th and goal to start the second quarter!

rtzlunar
January 7th, 2024, 01:33 PM
Amazing tackle.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 01:34 PM
Pick! Bad throw....

fencer24
January 7th, 2024, 01:41 PM
Should have been PI, but okay, that's going to be the standard, let it be the standard.

JSUSoutherner
January 7th, 2024, 01:41 PM
Jacks got a gift from the refs there.

Peems
January 7th, 2024, 01:42 PM
Proud of the way the Griz have played so far, but SDSU still looks like they are gonna have their way offensively. We shall see!

fencer24
January 7th, 2024, 01:50 PM
Every minute that passes without the Jacks scoring is giving me hope.

fencer24
January 7th, 2024, 01:57 PM
Thank you Jackrabbits!

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 01:57 PM
Griz get another turnover...now +2...

POD Knows
January 7th, 2024, 01:58 PM
lol. Go Griz.

JacksFan40
January 7th, 2024, 01:59 PM
Perfect field position pissed away by lack of awareness.

Professor Chaos
January 7th, 2024, 02:01 PM
McDowell looks gimpy and unconfident... the Griz have no shot unless he can pick it up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 02:01 PM
SDSU's defense is excellent....

fencer24
January 7th, 2024, 02:09 PM
SDSU's defense is excellent....

Montana's defense is looking pretty good as well.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 02:13 PM
Montana's defense is looking pretty good as well.

Absolutely! From where I sit these are two very evenly matched teams. SDSU has a recent history of being a great second half/4th quarter playoff team against better competition. Time will tell....

Paladin1aa
January 7th, 2024, 02:14 PM
Slow 1st half but Bunnies D is holding.

fencer24
January 7th, 2024, 02:18 PM
Slow 1st half but Bunnies D is holding.

So is their offense xlolx

ysubigred
January 7th, 2024, 02:18 PM
That was uneventful.. 7-3.

Griz came to play, and the Bunnies seemed to expect an easy W.

See who makes the best adjustments in the LR..

FINAL SCORE: 24-3

Gil Dobie
January 7th, 2024, 02:19 PM
Bunny turnovers keeping Griz in the game.

dewey
January 7th, 2024, 02:20 PM
Can ABC/ESPN even be bothered to talk about the FCS title game during halftime? Nope. Washington vs Michigan right away.

Dewey

POD Knows
January 7th, 2024, 02:20 PM
Kind of sloppy first half. Still a ballgame. Need a few more SDSU **** ups but Montana hasn’t really taken advantage of much.

Peems
January 7th, 2024, 02:21 PM
I'm sure this is a classic complaint now, but I sure am not a fan of delaying the championship game so much.
Hope the Griz come out roaring in the second half! I've been entertained so far!

POD Knows
January 7th, 2024, 02:22 PM
Also, ESPN, you can take your halftime deal and shove straight up your ****ing asses. ESAD ****heads

Catbooster
January 7th, 2024, 02:29 PM
Good game so far. Griz are getting the breaks they need to stay in it.

Not capitalizing on the interception and the punt "fumble", 3 points for 2 red zone trips - those don't bode well for the Griz IMO.

fencer24
January 7th, 2024, 02:29 PM
Not sure about all the prognostications that the game would be over before the half are going to come true.

dewey
January 7th, 2024, 02:34 PM
Surprising to see ABC/ESPN bothered to talk about the F S game for a whopping 15-20 seconds.

Come on Griz!

Dewey

caribbeanhen
January 7th, 2024, 02:35 PM
I’m thinking the Montana QB, who I like, is just not going to get it done

POD Knows
January 7th, 2024, 02:36 PM
Hey. Bergen didn’t have a huge run back. It is a freaking miracle

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 02:39 PM
SDSU ball!

Bison56
January 7th, 2024, 02:39 PM
That's a fumble. Not a good way to start the second half.

Catbooster
January 7th, 2024, 02:41 PM
McDowell's helmet looks like it's about 3x too big - it seems like it's 4" away from the back of his head and way high. Wonder what's up with that.

dewey
January 7th, 2024, 02:44 PM
Big stop by the Grizzlies on 3rd down.

Dewey

Catbooster
January 7th, 2024, 02:45 PM
Can't believe they overruled the call on the field for that fumble.

Griz D playing hard

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 02:45 PM
What a punt!

JacksFan40
January 7th, 2024, 02:46 PM
Zero creativity on offense right now, seems like Lujan is counting down the minutes before he can bolt for Northwestern.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 02:55 PM
TD SDSU! Game pressure squarely on the Griz now! They look like they're starting to get frustrated too. Some pushing and shoving after nearly every play on that drive...

Bison56
January 7th, 2024, 03:02 PM
Bunnies starting to dominate.

kdinva
January 7th, 2024, 03:02 PM
SDSU playing like their pants are on fire, Montana looks pensive.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 03:03 PM
SDSU seems to be closing in on the kill shot. That fumble to start the second half completely changed the trajectory of this half....

Houndawg
January 7th, 2024, 03:07 PM
SIU played them tougher than these guys

putter
January 7th, 2024, 03:08 PM
Cliff can’t run and the rabbits have adjusted and Montana has not.so I see the Griz D getting gassed.

UNHWildcat18
January 7th, 2024, 03:09 PM
That and the failure to score on their first drive. Griz look defeated. 21-3 now. Probably a wrap

kdinva
January 7th, 2024, 03:09 PM
WOW,

Houndawg
January 7th, 2024, 03:10 PM
Griz CB #3 is getting a schoolin'

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 03:11 PM
That's the dagger! Montana played a great 32 minutes or so but their margin for error was simply too small. The disparity in QB play has become glaring too...

JacksFan40
January 7th, 2024, 03:12 PM
That fumble pretty much ends this.

putter
January 7th, 2024, 03:16 PM
That's the dagger! Montana played a great 32 minutes or so but their margin for error was simply too small. The disparity in QB play has become glaring too...

Agree.

caribbeanhen
January 7th, 2024, 03:23 PM
The South Dakota Gov gets my vote on hot

POD Knows
January 7th, 2024, 03:26 PM
The South Dakota Gov gets my vote on hot
She is a PILF

caribbeanhen
January 7th, 2024, 03:29 PM
She is a PILF

a what

ysubigred
January 7th, 2024, 03:32 PM
The South Dakota Gov gets my vote on hotI'd drink her bath water..

Sader87
January 7th, 2024, 03:35 PM
She's a fascist too xdrunkyx

Sitting Bull
January 7th, 2024, 03:41 PM

Idiot

Bison56
January 7th, 2024, 03:45 PM

I thought people that went to Holy Cross were smart?

Sader87
January 7th, 2024, 03:47 PM
She is....or has fascistic tendencies anyway.

Would also like to point out that no one played SDSU tougher than Holy Cross did last year in the last 2 years of these FCS playoffs.

putter
January 7th, 2024, 03:51 PM

Would also like to point out that no one played SDSU tougher than Holy Cross did last year in the last 2 years of these FCS playoffs.

You had great QB play as well.

POD Knows
January 7th, 2024, 03:52 PM
If I said that in the FCS board I would get a time out by the mods here. More selective justice. 😛

JacksFan40
January 7th, 2024, 03:57 PM
The political section exists for a reason.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2024, 04:05 PM
Congrats SDSU! Best team from start to finish!

For the Griz, another missed opportunity. They've had numerous bites at the apple but only two titles to show for it. They have a Syracuse/Michigan State hoops vibe to them.

Who will enter the portal? McDowell? Bergen?

POD Knows
January 7th, 2024, 04:07 PM
Kind of a lackluster 3 TD win but the clearly better team won.

Utgrizfan
January 7th, 2024, 04:12 PM
Congrats to SDSU! Yall played a hell of a game, Not going to lie i'm happy you're losing a large number of players this year

putter
January 7th, 2024, 04:13 PM
Congrats Jacks! Hell of a season. Turnovers didnt hurt you and the Griz TO’s killed their momentum. Outstanding team.

McCowboys
January 7th, 2024, 04:15 PM
Congratulations Jackrabbits! Proud of you too, Griz! I have nothing but respect for both teams and their fans.

caribbeanhen
January 7th, 2024, 04:16 PM
Kind of a lackluster 3 TD win but the clearly better team won.

they were 30 points better, McDowell looked like he would rather be somewhere else but that’s what S Dak St does to you

ysubigred
January 7th, 2024, 04:17 PM
If I said that in the FCS board I would get a time out by the mods here. More selective justice. [emoji14]Yup.. guys like you and I are treading on thin ice anywhere we post besides the political board, lol. Xlolx

Utgrizfan
January 7th, 2024, 04:20 PM

She's not a Democrat

Professor Chaos
January 7th, 2024, 04:22 PM
Congrats Jackrabbits - not sure there was any point in the last year that they weren't the clear favorite and they still got it done with relative ease. This is one of the all-time great FCS teams/seasons.

nickp
January 7th, 2024, 04:26 PM
new dynasty is rising Congrats SDSU!!

Utgrizfan
January 7th, 2024, 04:26 PM
Congrats Jackrabbits - not sure there was any point in the last year that they weren't the clear favorite and they still got it done with relative ease. This is one of the all-time great FCS teams/seasons.

How many players are they losing from this team? I know Gronowski could come back but outside of that i've heard they're going to lose a lot of players

atthewbon
January 7th, 2024, 04:27 PM
Great season

ursus arctos horribilis
January 7th, 2024, 04:27 PM
If I said that in the FCS board I would get a time out by the mods here. More selective justice. 

Oh STFU, I've been watching the game and prepping the poll vote so I did not see it instantly...I've been fair to you and everyone else on here so stop whining.

You too bigred, I've given you and POD way more leverage than anyone else around here. Don't need to hear anymore about how unfair everything is for you boys or I can just be unfair going forward and actually earn it.

BTW, there is one mod that corrects or asks anything on these fronts and that is me.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 7th, 2024, 04:29 PM

Don't do this political **** again on the FCS Board. I haven't warned you prior but you should have known this from others anyway. That does not go on here on the FCS board.

Silenoz
January 7th, 2024, 04:33 PM
Welp, 6 championship losses in the last 7 tries. Some of you don't know how good you have it. xdrunkyx

...and yes, I realize it could be 0 championships in that time. So we got that going for us.

Tank Edwards
January 7th, 2024, 04:34 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the best defense we will ever have. Probably the best team we will ever have. What great year it's been.

Sader87
January 7th, 2024, 04:34 PM
Don't do this political **** again on the FCS Board. I haven't warned you prior but you should have known this from others anyway. That does not go on here on the FCS board.

Hey, I didn't bring her up on this thread....others did and were glowingly approving of her....I was just pointing out her political leanings. Truth hurts sometimes.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 7th, 2024, 04:35 PM
Jackrabbits were as advertised and a real juggernaut. Just a great team from top to bottom. Well done Rabbis.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 7th, 2024, 04:38 PM
Hey, I didn't bring her up on this thread....others did and were glowingly approval of her....I was just pointing out her political leanings. Truth hurts sometimes.

They brought her up because she is good looking. She is. I'll go look and see if they brought anything political but if you are wasting my time I'll just kick you off FCS for the first month of next season. I said that is it, so shut it on the debate about it.

Leave any political ideology off of this board...is that clear? If it isn't I can fix it for you.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 7th, 2024, 04:45 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the best defense we will ever have. Probably the best team we will ever have. What great year it's been.

They really are something. Much like 2013 NDSU, and 2017 NDSU, App State, Georgia Southern for several years and so forth, This SDSU team is arguably the best we've seen in FCS.

Houndawg
January 7th, 2024, 04:49 PM

SIU played them tougher than anybody this year - 17-10

SDFS
January 7th, 2024, 04:49 PM
How many players are they losing from this team? I know Gronowski could come back but outside of that i've heard they're going to lose a lot of players

The backup QB for SDSU has ton of potential and I really like him. He is really fun to watch. If you think that the offense is going to take a step back because Gronowski is leaving you are going to be very sad.

Houndawg
January 7th, 2024, 04:51 PM

All of them I hope

caribbeanhen
January 7th, 2024, 04:52 PM
The backup QB for SDSU has ton of potential and I really like him. He is really fun to watch. If you think that the offense is going to take a step back because Gronowski is leaving you are going to be very sad.

Gronowski leaving?

Thought he had 2 years of eligibility left

Professor Chaos
January 7th, 2024, 04:53 PM
I ran through some notables earlier based on players who received postseason conference accolades and their bios on their site:

They mentioned on the broadcast that Davis is gone for the NFL after this game so he's out as well. It will be interesting to see what happens with Gronowski - if the rumors are true and his OC is heading to Northwestern to be their OC and he's from Chicago area originally. I believe he's also graduated already from SDSU. There's literally nothing else for him to accomplish at SDSU that he hasn't already but I think it would be tough to pry him away given what they've all accomplished there together over the last few years but you never know what kind of NIL money might get thrown around.

caribbeanhen
January 7th, 2024, 04:54 PM
SIU played them tougher than anybody this year - 17-10

and lost to Idaho who lost to Albany