PDA

View Full Version : Props to ESPN announcing crew

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2007, 08:19 PM
The first half isn't over, but McDonough and Spielman need their props. They've made the game sound good. xthumbsupx

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I agree. They sound professional and aren't biased. I haven't heard anything about IA except that App. St. beat Michigan. These guys really know their stuff about each team too.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 14th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Not surprised because I've heard them before. Obviously, the producer/director have laid off all the FBS/BCS/Bowl Game/Heisman comments this week.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2007, 08:46 PM
OK, McDonough was wrong that Delaware hadn't played Delaware State before this year, but I'll still give 'em a pass. xthumbsupx

Zoo
December 14th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Great props to these two.

They get two thumbs up from me!

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xlolx

unicat87
December 14th, 2007, 10:50 PM
McDonough and Spielman did all right in my book announcing the game and offering insightful and researched commentary. Missing the TD in the first half while ESPN had them speculating about Rodriguez going from WVU to Michigan was inexcusable, but not the announcers' fault. -unicat87

Rob Iola
December 14th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Rob Stone hustled his butt around the field between both sidelines too - nice job there - hope he survived the crowd at the end...

jonmac
December 14th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Yes, I agree with all posts. It was obvious the producer did not try to add too much stuff like last week. I have been wanting to say this all week, but they both looked very uncomfortable last week with the Heisman interviews. I really don't think they wanted to do that. Much better tonight.

TheValleyRaider
December 14th, 2007, 10:58 PM
So, who would have said going into the game that the ESPN team would do a better job than the officials?

Anyone? ....anyone?

They do deserve props for a good game called (ESPN, that is) xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

BlueHenBoy
December 14th, 2007, 11:15 PM
I would have.

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I was listening to the App announcers but these are the guys who did the UR game last week. They did a good job then so I bet they did fine today. I blame the ESPN producers for the crappy graphics and unrelated subjects during the game.

UMass922
December 15th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Agreed on all counts--excellent job by ESPN tonight, especially compared to how they usually handle FCS games. Maybe they actually paid attention to all those emails that AGSers sent them after last year's game . . .

unicat87
December 15th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Rob Stone hustled his butt around the field between both sidelines too - nice job there - hope he survived the crowd at the end...

You're right. Rob Stone didn't sound too happy at all to have extra guests by the field with him the last few minutes there! xlolx -unicat87

mistersykes
December 15th, 2007, 01:30 AM
I thought that the announcers did a great job compared to what we have often seen in the past. I was pretty mad when they didn't show the touchdown early on because they were talking about something else. Otherwise, pretty good job!

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 15th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Agreed on all counts--excellent job by ESPN tonight, especially compared to how they usually handle FCS games. Maybe they actually paid attention to all those emails that AGSers sent them after last year's game . . .

Never thought I would agree with a UMASS fan xsmiley_wix , But I also agree on all counts. Excellent job by two excellent announcers. They also were candid and honest about all aspects of the game this evening: on the field, off the field, and re: tradition of the programs, coaches, ..... Very professionally done tonight in the booth.

catamount man
December 15th, 2007, 05:35 AM
The AGSers at Bailey's provided our own commentary. HA!!!

Congrats to the Mountaineers...again.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 06:12 AM
I enjoy watching the games with Mcdonough and Spielman.. but i get the impression sometimes that Spielman has had too many shots to the head...

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 15th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I was not at all surprised with the jod McDonough did.
He's been a very good announcer in this area for years and years.
He understands that the event is the star not the announcers.
Fewer and fewer "guys in the booth" seem to get that.

Pantherpower
December 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Never thought I would agree with a UMASS fan xsmiley_wix , But I also agree on all counts. Excellent job by two excellent announcers. They also were candid and honest about all aspects of the game this evening: on the field, off the field, and re: tradition of the programs, coaches, ..... Very professionally done tonight in the booth.

They stopped just short of saying what a joke the officiating was too (all around officiating) Those MEAC refs were out of their league literally and figuratively.

McDonough was correct when he said that the teams that make it there deserve the best officiating in the division, not a bunch of clowns from the MEAC "because it would have been CAA officials, but they were bounced as Delaware was in the championship game so they went to the next league in line to call the game."

longtimemocfan
December 15th, 2007, 08:26 AM
They stopped just short of saying what a joke the officiating was too (all around officiating) Those MEAC refs were out of their league literally and figuratively.

McDonough was correct when he said that the teams that make it there deserve the best officiating in the division, not a bunch of clowns from the MEAC "because it would have been CAA officials, but they were bounced as Delaware was in the championship game so they went to the next league in line to call the game."

I'm sure the Delaware fans appreciated the MEAC officials. Especially when the refs called them (Delaware) Delaware State. xeekx You could tell by the reaction from the Delaware fans it wasn't too welcome.

OldRef
December 15th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Yes, I find it hard to believe this MEAC crew was their highest rated over all. You can't see a lot on television but they seemed out of position and didn't seem to use good mechanics.

The ESPN guys really did step up their game from last year. Maybe the producers and directors were the "A game" guys.

Now I did like the announcers calling to question Mel Kiper xnonox ....wonder if they get called down for questioning the resident "draft expert"?xrulesx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 15th, 2007, 09:12 AM
IIRC, the refs are assigned by a rotation between leagues rather than any kind of ranking system.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 15th, 2007, 10:04 AM
IIRC, the refs are assigned by a rotation between leagues rather than any kind of ranking system.

Mc Donough mentioned that in the 2nd half.

Adding that the teams had earned their way to the game perhaps the refs sould be assigned on merit as well.

OldRef
December 15th, 2007, 10:16 AM
It is my understanding the officials are rated game by game throughout the season both individually and as a crew. The higest rated officals or crews are then chosen for the "plum" assignments.
As I stated above, I find it hard to believe this was MEAC's highest rated crew or position.

colorless raider
December 15th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Hey he's a Red Raider and knows how to hustle!:D