PDA

View Full Version : Stewart Mandel: Armanti Edwards Could Excite Heisman Voters In '08

Appaholic
December 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Nice to open up the SI website and see Armanti on it.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/12/13/armanti.edwards/index.html

lizrdgizrd
December 13th, 2007, 02:47 PM
So we apparently still have 2 openings on our schedule for next season and BCS teams don't want to play us. xchinscratchx

roysboi12
December 13th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Nice to open up the SI website and see Armanti on it.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/12/13/armanti.edwards/index.html

It's an awesome, well-written article. I love Stewart Mandel.

roysboi12
December 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM
So we apparently still have 2 openings on our schedule for next season and BCS teams don't want to play us. xchinscratchx

Haha I wonder why?

Appaholic
December 13th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Pretty cowardly of UNC not to schedule us and choose McNeese St....:(

They finally would have a sold out Kenan Stadium if they were playing in Chapel Hill......lord knows they wouldn't have the stones to come to Boone....

lizrdgizrd
December 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM

They finally would have a sold out Kenan Stadium if they were playing in Chapel Hill......lord knows they wouldn't have the stones to come to Boone....
Why should they come to Boone? xconfusedx

UNC makes a lot more money off a home game than we could guarantee if they came up the mountain. xnutsx

Appaholic
December 13th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Why should they come to Boone? xconfusedx

UNC makes a lot more money off a home game than we could guarantee if they came up the mountain. xnutsx

I agree...we could use the money and it would be more fun to defeat them in Chapel Hill........just find it funny that, given our recent success, we can't get anyone to schedule us, much less come to Boone....maybe we'll have to start paying FBS to play on their field...xlolx

lizrdgizrd
December 13th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I agree...we could use the money and it would be more fun to defeat them in Chapel Hill........just find it funny that, given our recent success, we can't get anyone to schedule us, much less come to Boone....maybe we'll have to start paying FBS to play on their field...xlolx
I'm sure UNC's lack of football prowess didn't have anything to do with that decision. xlolx

I bet we could get a game with a good team for a lower price than normal. :D

roysboi12
December 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Here in Chapel Hill we had several sellouts this year. However to see real football, I still come up the mountain :)

mtnman
December 13th, 2007, 03:21 PM
and how about some of udel fans talking about how dumb he sounds when he speaks, well he is on the deans list,so how dumb could he be/

AlphaSigMD
December 13th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Every time the ASU vs. UNC (University of No Class) comes up, I just get angry at their all-encompassing, completely unfounded and outlandishly exaggerated perception of self-worth. Every breath they take is just another desperate attempt to provide voice to the argument of "Yes, we are just as good as Duke!", "We're one of the public ivy's, so we don't associate ourselves with the common folk over at NC State, ECU and ASU!".

They nearly lost to us last time we played Basketball (Triple OT) and they haven't played us in Football since 1938. Its like losing to us would make them dirty.

SO I SAY WE MAKE THEM DIRTY!

When we win in Keenan (circa 2038), instead of rushing the field and tearing down the goalposts, we should rush the UNC campus and drop a deuce in the old well. xlolx xnodx xthumbsupx

billya
December 13th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Every time the ASU vs. UNC (University of No Class) comes up, I just get angry at their all-encompassing, completely unfounded and outlandishly exaggerated perception of self-worth. Every breath they take is just another desperate attempt to provide voice to the argument of "Yes, we are just as good as Duke!", "We're one of the public ivy's, so we don't associate ourselves with the common folk over at NC State, ECU and ASU!".

They nearly lost to us last time we played Basketball (Triple OT) and they haven't played us in Football since 1938. Its like losing to us would make them dirty.

When we win in Keenan (circa 2038), instead of rushing the field and tearing down the goalposts, we should rush the UNC campus and drop a deuce in the old well. xlolx xnodx xthumbsupx

Sounds like a plan I'll only be 56 by thenxthumbsupx should still be able to drop a deuce in the old well.xwhistlex

mcveyrl
December 13th, 2007, 03:48 PM
and how about some of udel fans talking about how dumb he sounds when he speaks, well he is on the deans list,so how dumb could he be/

I'm not speaking one way or another on Edwards. I've heard one interview (after the UR game) and he sounded well-spoken to me.

BUT, I know plenty of idiots on the dean's list. They just happen to be taking the right classes...

Back OT, that was a great article and I would be excited to see Edwards get some Heisman hype next year. I also like how the article makes clear that the win over Michigan was big, but the NC is MUCH bigger for ASU.

lizrdgizrd
December 13th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I'm not speaking one way or another on Edwards. I've heard one interview (after the UR game) and he sounded well-spoken to me.

BUT, I know plenty of idiots on the dean's list. They just happen to be taking the right classes...

Back OT, that was a great article and I would be excited to see Edwards get some Heisman hype next year. I also like how the article makes clear that the win over Michigan was big, but the NC is MUCH bigger for ASU.
Of course public speaking ability and intelligence don't go hand-in-hand. xcoffeex

roysboi12
December 13th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Last time I checked the only sellout in Holmes Center history was when Chapel Hill came to town and beat the crap out of Appalachian. While I am a die-hard Appalachian football fan, I will also point out UNC beat JMU 37-14, while App only won 28-27.

mcveyrl
December 13th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Of course public speaking ability and intelligence don't go hand-in-hand. xcoffeex

That's true too!

I also know a fair amount of great speakers that are idiots...

In fact, I know more of those than I do idiots on the dean's list.

Either way, AE's prolly got a job when he gets out of school.;)

mcveyrl
December 13th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Last time I checked the only sellout in Holmes Center history was when Chapel Hill came to town and beat the crap out of Appalachian. While I am a die-hard Appalachian football fan, I will also point out UNC beat JMU 37-14, while App only won 28-27.

While the first response is obviously that you can't compare two different games, also in both JMU and Apps defense, that was a completely different JMU team. It was Landers first start and it showed.

roysboi12
December 13th, 2007, 04:06 PM
While the first response is obviously that you can't compare two different games, also in both JMU and Apps defense, that was a completely different JMU team. It was Landers first start and it showed.

Not an attack on JMU by any means, just defending my school. I still can't believe the number of penalties on JMU in that game. How can you have only 6 men on the line five times in the first half. That was ridiculous.

roysboi12
December 13th, 2007, 04:07 PM
As a UNC student and a life-long season ticket holder to Appalachian football, I am lucky that my loyalties have yet to be tested since neither teams have played in my memory.

mcveyrl
December 13th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Not an attack on JMU by any means, just defending my school. I still can't believe the number of penalties on JMU in that game. How can you have only 6 men on the line five times in the first half. That was ridiculous.

I knew you weren't attacking JMU (even though I DID say in JMU's defense). More a statement that you can't compare the two games.

Otherwise, App got beat by Wofford who got beat by NC State...

roysboi12
December 13th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I knew you weren't attacking JMU (even though I DID say in JMU's defense). More a statement that you can't compare the two games.

Otherwise, App got beat by Wofford who got beat by NC State...

Haha yeah we can play the association game all day long.

AshevilleApp
December 13th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Listened to the Richmond game on radio and just saw the AE clips.......there were a few plays where he looked like he was running at twice the speed of the defenders.....friggin amazing

McNeeserocket
December 13th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Hey, McNeese fans feel the same way you guys do about an in state FBS school choosing to play an out of state FCS school. We want to play LSU, but they won't schedule McNeese or any FCS in state school. LSU has scheduled Appst., Citadel, and Western Illinois in the last 5 years. They could play any one of six FCS schools from their home state of Louisiana (McNeese, Northwestern St., Nicholls State, Southeastern Univ. State, Grambling and Southern Univ.)

I think LSU plays Appst. in 2008 and McNeese plays UNC in 2008. Maybe we can convince these schools to switch and all four schools would have a better game and game day atmosphere (although it is hard to beat LSU game day atmosphere no matter who they are playing).

Zoo
December 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM
LOL Florida State and North Carolina for being scared to play Appalachian State. xlolx

I hope Armanti can have Heisman hopes next year.

mmiller_34
December 13th, 2007, 06:32 PM
for some reason this doesnt make sense to me.... Appalachian State -- which received a handful of AP top-25 votes after becoming eligible following the Michigan win....

AppChicago
December 13th, 2007, 06:39 PM
for some reason this doesnt make sense to me.... Appalachian State -- which received a handful of AP top-25 votes after becoming eligible following the Michigan win....

It's a little clunky, but it makes sense. ASU became eligible to receive AP top-25 votes following the UofM win. It received a handful.

BDKJMU
December 13th, 2007, 08:10 PM

Butch Davis's 1st game. Sellout crowd. Huge hype.
Started with landers fumble- UNC TD
2 blocked punts- 2 UNC Tds
Landers INT-UNC field goal
both JMU starting corners out, one injury, one suspension 1 game against those stud receivers.

Was at both games. ASU in their 12th game looked better than UNC in their 1st. Again, hard to compare. UNC was a very young team. They'll be better than 4-8 next season. I know ASU loses a dozen starters, and UNC wouldn't take them lightly, so I would put my $ on UNC in an 08' UNC-ASU matchup in early Sept. But its all for not, as the Tarholes are too chicken **** to play ASU.

Appaholic
December 13th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Hey, McNeese fans feel the same way you guys do about an in state FBS school choosing to play an out of state FCS school. We want to play LSU, but they won't schedule McNeese or any FCS in state school. LSU has scheduled Appst., Citadel, and Western Illinois in the last 5 years. They could play any one of six FCS schools from their home state of Louisiana (McNeese, Northwestern St., Nicholls State, Southeastern Univ. State, Grambling and Southern Univ.)

I think LSU plays Appst. in 2008 and McNeese plays UNC in 2008. Maybe we can convince these schools to switch and all four schools would have a better game and game day atmosphere (although it is hard to beat LSU game day atmosphere no matter who they are playing).

Doesn't surprise me.....I know when Dean Smith was coaching BB at UNC, he flat out refused to play in-state non-conference teams as he did not want to divide loyalties and cause bad blood...I can relate as I was raised a die-hard UNC fan and remain one today....unless they play App, or FCS football teams....

KiddBrewer
December 14th, 2007, 01:55 AM

hes not the best speaker, thats obvious. he gets good grades too im pretty sure, for what ever reasonxcoffeex , but i really do think he is pretty smart from what ive heard.

Bobcat in NC
December 14th, 2007, 06:25 AM
"A big passing night against Richmond on Friday would make him two-for-two. It might also deliver the victory necessary to launch his seemingly improbable Heisman chase."

Seems App's playing Richmond 2 weeks in a row. Sorry, Delaware, you're out...

Oops. xoopsx

UNHWildCats
December 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2007, 10:55 AM
http://www.acils.com/acil/recycle2.gif

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34654

elcid96
June 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Not that App needed another thread, but this is great for FCS football.