PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Semifinal: #5 Albany @ #1 South Dakota State

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2023, 01:26 AM
This game will kickoff at 6PM CT on Friday 12/15 and will be broadcast nationally on ESPN2. The winner advances to the national championship game and will face either North Dakota State or #2 Montana. I expanded the stats breakdown this week to include some season totals with turnovers and redzone attempts and additional averages like sacks and TFLs forced/allowed:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53388746905_7cec27df95_o.jpg

Pards Rule
December 10th, 2023, 06:24 AM
Congrats Danes

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2023, 07:27 AM
This is an intriguing matchup. In order to beat SDSU you have to shut down their run game to a reasonable extent on offense and the most vulnerable part of their defense is the secondary. I'm not saying Albany will win but they matchup with SDSU about as well as anyone with an elite run defense and a talented QB that can extend and make plays.

I get the feeling in the end SDSU's Payton award finalist QB Mark Gronowski will be the X factor but this game could get interesting

ysubigred
December 10th, 2023, 07:42 AM
This is an intriguing matchup. In order to beat SDSU you have to shut down their run game to a reasonable extent on offense and the most vulnerable part of their defense is the secondary. I'm not saying Albany will win but they matchup with SDSU about as well as anyone with an elite run defense and a talented QB that can extend and make plays.

I get the feeling in the end SDSU's Payton award finalist QB Mark Gronkwski will be the X factor but this game could get interestingI hope the weather is good for this one. "IF" you listen to idiot YSU fans, a short QB is not good.. so the Albany QB is useless.. I'm not one of them. That kid is outstanding.

GoooBizon!

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

POD Knows
December 10th, 2023, 09:17 AM
I was pulling for Albany last night because I think they match up better than Idaho but it won’t matter. SDSU will win this game but they will be tested. Weather is supposed to be better next weekend, that will help Albany because that Albany run offense has no chance against SDSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2023, 01:12 PM
Albany has a good defense but SDSU is too well rounded.

Probably close for a half or 3 quarters but the Jacks win by 2 TDs.

Preferred Walk-On
December 10th, 2023, 01:26 PM

It will probably be 21 all after 3 quarters, and once they lose by 21, there will be calls for the Great Danes to be ranked #2 at the end of the season.

But seriously, I do hope it will be a game on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 02:06 PM
It will probably be 21 all after 3 quarters, and once they lose by 21, there will be calls for the Great Danes to be ranked #2 at the end of the season.

But seriously, I do hope it will be a game on Friday.

No just No

the calls were for the coaches to just rank Albany and recognize Idaho just ain’t that good

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 02:13 PM

I think everyone knows what’s coming Bison

but for hopes and dreams Albany did beat Villanova 31-10

Yesterdays Nova team looked a lot better then the team that lost to Albany

I’ll be pulling for Albany and maybe they can get this thing into the 4th Quarter ….

Preferred Walk-On
December 10th, 2023, 02:16 PM
No just No

the calls were for the coaches to just rank Albany and recognize Idaho just ain’t that good

This was in reference to calls on AGS to rank Holy Cross #2 at the end of the 2022 season…to which I agree, “No, just no!”

mango433
December 10th, 2023, 02:59 PM

I’ll be pulling for Albany and maybe they can get this thing into the 4th Quarter ….

I don’t think you can take much from the SDSU-Nova game yesterday due to passing not really being a thing.

KPSUL
December 10th, 2023, 03:29 PM
Albany will have to play better and make fewer mistakes to make the SDSU game as close a Villanova did. It was a gutsy win vs Idaho in the Kibbie Barn, but Idaho played poorly in the 2nd half which isn't going to happen with SDSU in Brookings. It didn't look like the "Real" McCoy at QB for the Vandals in the 2nd half. In the first half McCoy was getting the ball out of his hands quickly and accurately negating the Albany pass rush. The Albany pass rush is legitimately good by any measure, it will be interesting to see how much they can pressure Gronowski. However, Isaiah Davis is the kind of runner that can help keep an D-Line back on their heals.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2023, 03:30 PM

I don’t think these ally oop passes off the back foot are gonna work against SD outside in the elements.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 03:32 PM
This was in reference to calls on AGS to rank Holy Cross #2 at the end of the 2022 season…to which I agree, “No, just no!”

oh ok gotcha

is that as bad as ranking the Bison # 14 in pre-season

talk about preparing for the creek to rise

Preferred Walk-On
December 10th, 2023, 03:40 PM
Albany will have to play better and make fewer mistakes to make the SDSU game as close a Villanova did. It was a gutsy win vs Idaho in the Kibbie Barn, but Idaho played poorly in the 2nd half which isn't going to happen with SDSU in Brookings. It didn't look like the "Real" McCoy at QB for the Vandals in the 2nd half. In the first half McCoy was getting the ball out of his hands quickly and accurately negating the Albany pass rush. The Albany pass rush is legitimately good by any measure, it will be interesting to see how much they can pressure Gronowski. However, Isaiah Davis is the kind of runner that can help keep an D-Line back on their heals.

Both great players, but today's defender thinks they can tackle a RB like Davis shoulder-high. They cannot. If you want to see how to stop Isaiah Davis, see Montana St and Troy Andersen in the semis a couple years ago. Tackling clinic (waist down and wrapping up). While it was fun watching people try to tackle Hunter Leupke chest high, it is infuriating watching this against Isaiah. He is going to get his yards, but if you can prevent YAC, you can prevent big plays that ultimately kill teams.

Preferred Walk-On
December 10th, 2023, 03:42 PM
oh ok gotcha

is that as bad as ranking the Bison # 14 in pre-season

talk about preparing for the creek to rise

Yes, it is as bad as that.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 04:27 PM
I don’t think these ally oop passes off the back foot are gonna work against SD outside in the elements.

Yep the elements are tough and I’m not, I need to see a pool or the sea or feel a warm tropical breeze to watch these games

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it is as bad as that.

Well I love predictions and that was a gutsy one

Ivytalk
December 10th, 2023, 07:17 PM
Albany’s QB has been impressive in this playoff run, but SDSU is just too tough. Jacks by 14.

MUHAWKS
December 10th, 2023, 07:48 PM
ALBANY MONEY LINE.. FUK IT YOLO!

Dane96
December 10th, 2023, 07:54 PM
ALBANY MONEY LINE.. FUK IT YOLO!

Like the Danes, you are playing with house money. Why not?! LOL

Dusty Kitten
December 10th, 2023, 08:23 PM
The Jacks are going to have to throw the ball to win this game

MUHAWKS
December 10th, 2023, 08:41 PM
Like the Danes, you are playing with house money. Why not?! LOL

EXACTLY!! could be like + 700 type money line..The only reason I will go small is bc I have the Danes to win the natty anyway at crazy odds so if they win this game I can hedge and make gauranteed money. so may just take the pts for fun. I love that WR Hicks..

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 09:18 PM
EXACTLY!! could be like + 700 type money line..The only reason I will go small is bc I have the Danes to win the natty anyway at crazy odds so if they win this game I can hedge and make gauranteed money. so may just take the pts for fun. I love that WR Hicks..

Easton was spectacular last night, the more Albany you see the more The more you like them

Also, you can see more on ESPN + while Flo leaves you guessing but always brings the bill

POD Knows
December 10th, 2023, 11:22 PM
Easton was spectacular last night, the more Albany you see the more The more you like them

Also, you can see more on ESPN + while Flo leaves you guessing but always brings the bill
Actually I liked them less after the Idaho game. They looked sloppy on offense and terrible on special teams. Their QB is a high risk type of QB, that is good and bad. He threw a lot of terrible balls on Saturday and got bailed out on a few by a pretty good receiving corp. Their running is also suspect. It looks to me like their #1 is hurting badly. He is a baller but he looks like he is at maybe 70%. That won’t cut it against SDSU. Their D is gonna need to keep them in the game and a low scoring game won’t surprise me.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2023, 05:43 AM
Actually I liked them less after the Idaho game. They looked sloppy on offense and terrible on special teams. Their QB is a high risk type of QB, that is good and bad. He threw a lot of terrible balls on Saturday and got bailed out on a few by a pretty good receiving corp. Their running is also suspect. It looks to me like their #1 is hurting badly. He is a baller but he looks like he is at maybe 70%. That won’t cut it against SDSU. Their D is gonna need to keep them in the game and a low scoring game won’t surprise me.

Good morning and what the hell was your opinion of Albany before the Idaho game?

Do I remember you saying that the Idaho game was the first time you watched Albany all year? Somebody said it but not sure if it was you

It’s almost like you’re trying to hornswoggle some CAA fan into posting Albany can win this game, a tough road environment against a team ranked #26 in the nation on Massey. Remember, Albany was beating up winless Stony Brook and MUHAWKS Monmouth only a few weeks ago, so going across the country and beating a highly ranked Big Sky team in their dome is a quite an accomplishment for Albany. A team that was 3-8 last year. It was a pretty evenly matched game until late and in those kind of games a team can look like a big ugly dog for stretches of the game. I totally agree that # 28 is a baller, there were a few times when I thought he was done, I can’t imagine what South Dakota St is going to do to him but I like that Griffin Woodell kid. The Albany QB Poffenbarger has been one of my favorites and that goes back to last year, he’s a playmaker that is gutsy and a leader and a winner. Elusive enough to keep a play alive and all the sudden TD pass out of nothing.

The real question is can the Bison find a way to beat S Dak St in the finals

MUHAWKS
December 11th, 2023, 08:11 AM
Good morning and what the hell was your opinion of Albany before the Idaho game?

Do I remember you saying that the Idaho game was the first time you watched Albany all year? Somebody said it but not sure if it was you

It’s almost like you’re trying to hornswoggle some CAA fan into posting Albany can win this game, a tough road environment against a team ranked #26 in the nation on Massey. Remember, Albany was beating up winless Stony Brook and MUHAWKS Monmouth only a few weeks ago, so going across the country and beating a highly ranked Big Sky team in their dome is a quite an accomplishment for Albany. A team that was 3-8 last year. It was a pretty evenly matched game until late and in those kind of games a team can look like a big ugly dog for stretches of the game. I totally agree that # 28 is a baller, there were a few times when I thought he was done, I can’t imagine what South Dakota St is going to do to him but I like that Griffin Woodell kid. The Albany QB Poffenbarger has been one of my favorites and that goes back to last year, he’s a playmaker that is gutsy and a leader and a winner. Elusive enough to keep a play alive and all the sudden TD pass out of nothing.

The real question is can the Bison find a way to beat S Dak St in the finals

we have all heard the expression "styles makes fights" in boxing.. no different here- I think Albany matches up well with SDSU, even better than Idaho. The difference being SDSU is a much better overall team, but style wise I think this suits Albany. People have said do not judge from Nova game. Why not? In terms of "up front" why cant we judge from Nova game? Albany has a much better Defensive front than Nova and SDSU did not exactly overpower Nova. If there is no crazy wind, Albany can and will make plays with their athletes. I am not disillusioned here but albany seems made for this type of game meaning- they have several FBS type players talent wise and more importantly physicality wise up front which is needed. The running game thing for Albany sounds and looks like an issue yes, but simply put all of it comes down to one thing- Can Albany O line hold up? If they can hold up I am confident that Albany D CAN hold SDSU to something in the 20's or low 30's... Ad I think Montana wins this game not sure why NDsU is a given. To me, Montana is sitting on a peak game this week.

Chalupa Batman
December 11th, 2023, 08:29 AM
we have all heard the expression "styles makes fights" in boxing.. no different here- I think Albany matches up well with SDSU, even better than Idaho. The difference being SDSU is a much better overall team, but style wise I think this suits Albany. People have said do not judge from Nova game. Why not? In terms of "up front" why cant we judge from Nova game? Albany has a much better Defensive front than Nova and SDSU did not exactly overpower Nova. If there is no crazy wind, Albany can and will make plays with their athletes. I am not disillusioned here but albany seems made for this type of game meaning- they have several FBS type players talent wise and more importantly physicality wise up front which is needed. The running game thing for Albany sounds and looks like an issue yes, but simply put all of it comes down to one thing- Can Albany O line hold up? If they can hold up I am confident that Albany D CAN hold SDSU to something in the 20's or low 30's... Ad I think Montana wins this game not sure why NDsU is a given. To me, Montana is sitting on a peak game this week.

The question isn't just can they hold up, it's can they hold up all game? Villanova did a good job in the first half but the Jacks wore them down and in the 2nd half were going through them pretty easily, even when the Wildcats KNEW that Isaiah Davis was getting the ball.

I agree about Albany on offense, they have some serious athletes and are capable of making some plays and making this game interesting for awhile.

JacksFan40
December 11th, 2023, 08:56 AM
SDSU has proven to be more than just a run first team. Gronowski can torch defenses if needed. Can Albany cover both Jankes and Heins effectively? Can they do that while also respecting the run game? Villanova did great in the first half but by the end Davis was getting 10+ yards each carry. Albany will have to not get worn out by the second half if they hope to win. If Albany can jump out ahead right away and force SDSU to play from behind, which is something we’ve only had to do against Montana State, that could make it an extremely interesting game.

POD Knows
December 11th, 2023, 08:57 AM

The real question is can the Bison find a way to beat S Dak St in the finalsI watched the Richmond playoff game. I didn't think that the Albany QB looked very good in that game either. He is not accurate throwing the ball but maybe these two games are an anomaly. Their D looked good in both games and Idaho is better than Richmond. I did not see Albany during the regular season so all of my comments come down to the last two games regarding their performance.

Ridge1982
December 11th, 2023, 09:02 AM
-22 SDSU per DraftKings

-24 SDSU 5dimes

gotts
December 11th, 2023, 09:23 AM
-22 SDSU per DraftKings

-24 SDSU 5dimes

5dimes line is right on par with Sagarin predictor (-24.26 SDSU after home advantage adjustment)

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2023, 09:47 AM
I watched the Richmond playoff game. I didn't think that the Albany QB looked very good in that game either. He is not accurate throwing the ball but maybe these two games are an anomaly. Their D looked good in both games and Idaho is better than Richmond. I did not see Albany during the regular season so all of my comments come down to the last two games regarding their performance.

I think you and several Bison fans don’t realize how far and above your talent level is when compared to FCS teams.
Didn’t see the Richmond game but Poffenbarger is one of the best in FCS, that won’t cut it in Fargo

MUHAWKS
December 11th, 2023, 09:53 AM
SDSU has proven to be more than just a run first team. Gronowski can torch defenses if needed. Can Albany cover both Jankes and Heins effectively? Can they do that while also respecting the run game? Villanova did great in the first half but by the end Davis was getting 10+ yards each carry. Albany will have to not get worn out by the second half if they hope to win. If Albany can jump out ahead right away and force SDSU to play from behind, which is something we’ve only had to do against Montana State, that could make it an extremely interesting game.

100%-- they are not 22 pt faves for nothing. I understand how good SDSU is and absolutely gronk can do as u say and prob will at some point. You make an excellent point about the flow of the game. If Albay has a bad start I do not think they will hang in there. If I were them I would take the ball if possible and spread it out immediately, 3 step drops, quick hitting slants etc. They HAVE to get a lead and/or some weird stuff early (turnover, ST play-something) but IF that somehow happens Albany is not a team that I think SDSU can just put away like they wuld 95% of other teams and frankly do. The Albany D has the man power to level up in he front 7 and they will need to tackle well, cannot turn 6-10 yard plays into 25+...And then there is the other factor of game plan/coaching- does albany have the prowess there to come up with an NFL style plan. Not sure if anyone watched the Jets/Texans game but the game plan on offense is what led to that result. Albany cannot just take crazy shots and play street ball here- at times they will and need to but I think they need to force SDSU to essentially give up on defending the run. Like come out and be like you know what we cant and wont run the ball but will use the passing game to effectively run the ball. Not sure if SDSU will press in coverage but establish that and then maybe try and run off that-

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2023, 09:55 AM
Albany's offense can't have a 3rd quarter like they had against Idaho. The Danes offense is prone to quick 3 and outs if they can't run the ball which is a huge problem against SDSU. To me, this game feels like one that will be close for a half but over the course of 60 minutes Albany's small margin for error will catch up with them. I have SDSU by 17, maybe more...

POD Knows
December 11th, 2023, 11:14 AM
I think you and several Bison fans don’t realize how far and above your talent level is when compared to FCS teams.
Didn’t see the Richmond game but Poffenbarger is one of the best in FCS, that won’t cut it in Fargo
Pottenbarger is a young guy with huge upside potential and talent. But he is raw as ****. Does Albany have a QB coach, this is a serious question because I don’t know and don’t want to look it up.

If he wants to transfer to NDSU I would welcome him but that is not how they handle this stuff at NDSU. I wonder how long he sticks around at Albany.

acbearkat
December 11th, 2023, 11:35 AM
I’ll be watching this on TV as well as watching the Texas 5A Division 1 state championship game on my laptop. I’ll be doing Substack posts on the 5A and 6A state championship games and the FCS semifinals.

Ridge1982
December 11th, 2023, 11:39 AM
If not for the Montana State semifinals loss, we’re looking at possibly four consecutive FCSCG appearances for SDSU. That’s wild.

Christiank22
December 11th, 2023, 11:48 AM
If not for the Montana State semifinals loss, we’re looking at possibly four consecutive FCSCG appearances for SDSU. That’s wild.

If not for the JMU loss we’re looking at a 7…? 8? Idk peat for NDSU

See how ifs and buts don’t work as well

POD Knows
December 11th, 2023, 12:03 PM
If not for the JMU loss we’re looking at a 7…? 8? Idk peat for NDSU

See how ifs and buts don’t work as wellThrow Covid in there and losing the top FCS QB early to the draft, there is no doubt in my mind that the 2020 team wins the Natty.

UAalum72
December 11th, 2023, 12:04 PM
Pottenbarger is a young guy with huge upside potential and talent. But he is raw as ****. Does Albany have a QB coach, this is a serious question because I don’t know and don’t want to look it up.
OC Jared Ambrose doubles as QB coach. Former Albany QB Will Fiacchi '14, Albany's all-time passing leader, is "Passing Game Coordinator" as well as WR coach. He was previously QB coach at D-III St. John Fisher.

Preferred Walk-On
December 11th, 2023, 12:24 PM

It really is wild going to five straight. Trust me. ;)

Ridge1982
December 11th, 2023, 12:31 PM
Oh, I’m aware, but to see South Dakota be this great considering how they were at the time of their move to FCS is remarkable.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2023, 05:15 PM
Throw Covid in there and losing the top FCS QB early to the draft, there is no doubt in my mind that the 2020 team wins the Natty.

That team would have steamrolled to another title.

RahRahRabbits
December 11th, 2023, 08:26 PM
Oh, I’m aware, but to see South Dakota be this great considering how they were at the time of their move to FCS is remarkable.

As the kids say... this "gave me the ick". South Dakota happens to be the flea-ridden mangy dogs there, Ridge. I will give you a little credit though... you did get the state right... so you're better than ESPN at least.

mmiller_34
December 11th, 2023, 08:29 PM

SDSU has only had 2 (5-6) losing seasons since they joined FCS. We’ve had a lot of good teams between then and now, but when we built our new stadium in 2016, it was like someone dumped jet fuel on our program.

BisonFan02
December 11th, 2023, 09:56 PM
As the kids say... this "gave me the ick". South Dakota happens to be the flea-ridden mangy dogs there, Ridge. I will give you a little credit though... you did get the state right... so you're better than ESPN at least.

ESPN did say this past weekend that the Bison were playing in Brookings....so there's that. xlolx

JacksFan40
December 11th, 2023, 09:57 PM
SDSU has only had 2 (5-6) losing seasons since they joined FCS. We’ve had a lot of good teams between then and now, but when we built our new stadium in 2016, it was like someone dumped jet fuel on our program.
Building the student athlete center back in I believe 2011 was the start. 2011 was still a down year but 2012 saw arguably the best season since the early 60s for SDSU. The SJAC going up in 2014, followed by DJD in 2016 took SDSU from a top 15 program to a top 5 program practically overnight. It’s amazing what happens when you properly fund a program and give them adequate facilities. Who’d of guessed having a weight room in a concrete dungeon, practices in a pasture, and film sessions in a storage trailer didn’t promote good recruiting or player development.

Really does make you wonder where the program would be had the commitment to the program been ramped up back in the 80s or 90s.

TheKingpin28
December 11th, 2023, 11:28 PM
Building the student athlete center back in I believe 2011 was the start. 2011 was still a down year but 2012 saw arguably the best season since the early 60s for SDSU. The SJAC going up in 2014, followed by DJD in 2016 took SDSU from a top 15 program to a top 5 program practically overnight. It’s amazing what happens when you properly fund a program and give them adequate facilities. Who’d of guessed having a weight room in a concrete dungeon, practices in a pasture, and film sessions in a storage trailer didn’t promote good recruiting or player development.

Really does make you wonder where the program would be had the commitment to the program been ramped up back in the 80s or 90s.CAS was a ****hole but seeing a game there was well worth it.

I've mentioned to Thumper (miss that guy) a few times of how envious I am of the DJD but that is was not a smart decision to build an outdoor stadium without the ability to partially/fully enclose it in the winter.

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2023, 12:49 AM
Since my obligations for the semester at K-State wrap up Wednesday I looked to see how far Brookings was from the Little Apple; about 400 miles. That's a bit too much to bite off right now even though I would love to visit SDSU to check out both the institution and the game day experience.

BisonFan02
December 12th, 2023, 09:39 AM
CAS was a ****hole but seeing a game there was well worth it.

I've mentioned to Thumper (miss that guy) a few times of how envious I am of the DJD but that is was not a smart decision to build an outdoor stadium without the ability to partially/fully enclose it in the winter.

Building an outdoor stadium up here is perfectly fine if the goal is FBS and bowl games.

JacksFan40
December 12th, 2023, 11:04 AM
CAS was a ****hole but seeing a game there was well worth it.

If the goal is to remain FCS forever, an indoor stadium would have been the smarter option. If the goal is to eventually go FBS, and outdoor stadium is better. DJD can be expanded for up to 40k attendance, and being outdoors won't matter as much in the FBS since there won't be any home games in December outside of maybe a conference championship depending on what conference it is.

But I do miss CAS. It was a dump but it had character. Loved standing room tickets as they were cheaper and we could go pretty much anywhere in the stadium, and sit anywhere as well since most games were under 75% attendance. One of my favorite games there was 2014 against WIU in a blizzard when Sumner threw 6 TDs. There was maybe 3000 people there, the field was a winter wonderland, and it was just generally a fun time. CAS felt like a D2 or NAIA stadium and that made you feel more connected with the program. DJD doesn't quite give that feel.

SteelSD
December 12th, 2023, 11:43 AM
And don't forget by playing in a dome we wouldn't get to listen to the southern contingent complaining about the morality of winter football in the Northern Plains...

Grizzlies82
December 12th, 2023, 02:29 PM
-22 SDSU per DraftKings

-24 SDSU 5dimes

So Dakota State is good but those numbers look far too generous

KPSUL
December 12th, 2023, 07:28 PM
I'm a little less optimistic about Albany being able to make it a very close game with the Jacks AFTER the Idaho game then I was BEFORE. I though the Danes would beat the Vandals by more and put the game away earlier. Idaho played very poorly in the second half and it took until the middle of the 4th Quarter before Albany could to take advantage. I hope I'm wrong, I'd like to see a good game and it would be great to see a CAA team in the National Championship game for the first time since JMU left for the SBC.

MUHAWKS
December 12th, 2023, 09:34 PM
So Dakota State is good but those numbers look far too generous

agree 100%

caribbeanhen
December 12th, 2023, 11:31 PM
I'm a little less optimistic about Albany being able to make it a very close game with the Jacks AFTER the Idaho game then I was BEFORE. I though the Danes would beat the Vandals by more and put the game away earlier. Idaho played very poorly in the second half and it took until the middle of the 4th Quarter before Albany could to take advantage. I hope I'm wrong, I'd like to see a good game and it would be great to see a CAA team in the National Championship game for the first time since JMU left for the SBC.

I didn’t see Albany beating Idaho by any more than that, especially in that hanger

I can see this game getting away from Albany come third quarter, hope I’m wrong as I will be pulling for Albany

SteelSD
December 13th, 2023, 08:38 AM
The Villanova/SDSU game has really skewed some peoples perceptions of both teams. It's hard to fathom what sustained 35mph winds feel like unless you were there. The centers had to hold on to the ball or the wind was blowing the ball away.

With that said this should be an interesting game. To me the keys are can the Albany front 7 (which has been great this year) hold up against the run. Villanova was stacking the box with 8-10 players at times literally daring SDSU to throw the ball and they still couldn't hold up the whole game. So can the Great Danes?

On the other side, can the SDSU defense contain Poff the Magic QB? Can Albany hit some big shots over the SDSU defense and run just well enough to keep SDSU honest on the defensive side?

Should be interesting to see which defense (if either) can hold up to what the other team can do on offense. Wish I could be at this game but unfortunately my son graduates from college so will miss my first game of the year.

MRuler
December 13th, 2023, 09:51 AM
The Villanova/SDSU game has really skewed some peoples perceptions of both teams. It's hard to fathom what sustained 35mph winds feel like unless you were there. The centers had to hold on to the ball or the wind was blowing the ball away.

With that said this should be an interesting game. To me the keys are can the Albany front 7 (which has been great this year) hold up against the run. Villanova was stacking the box with 8-10 players at times literally daring SDSU to throw the ball and they still couldn't hold up the whole game. So can the Great Danes?

On the other side, can the SDSU defense contain Poff the Magic QB? Can Albany hit some big shots over the SDSU defense and run just well enough to keep SDSU honest on the defensive side?

Should be interesting to see which defense (if either) can hold up to what the other team can do on offense. Wish I could be at this game but unfortunately my son graduates from college so will miss my first game of the year.

An Albany fan here and I am very interested to see what we can do against SDSU. SDSU looks to be as good as advertised. I do think they are suspect to the pass and if the weather is ok I like our chances of moving the chains and scoring. We have moved the ball this way on every team we played including FBS Hawaii and Marshall. I do believe SDSU is on par with both Hawaii and Marshall, they may be better from what I've seen. I am not sure how well we will run the ball, but who knows. Screens and passes in the flats were effective for Nova.

The one thing I am hoping for to kick in is the law of averages. To win 27 or 28 games in a row is hard to do. At some point their winning streak will come to an end. Lets hope that happens Friday night. Also if we manage to get by SDSU I love our chances at the dance vs either Montana or NDSU.

Id wish SDSU luck but they don't need it. GO DANES!!!!!

gotts
December 13th, 2023, 10:34 AM
An Albany fan here and I am very interested to see what we can do against SDSU. SDSU looks to be as good as advertised. I do think they are suspect to the pass and if the weather is ok I like our chances of moving the chains and scoring. We have moved the ball this way on every team we played including FBS Hawaii and Marshall. I do believe SDSU is on par with both Hawaii and Marshall, they may be better from what I've seen. I am not sure how well we will run the ball, but who knows. Screens and passes in the flats were effective for Nova.

The one thing I am hoping for to kick in is the law of averages. To win 27 or 28 games in a row is hard to do. At some point their winning streak will come to an end. Lets hope that happens Friday night. Also if we manage to get by SDSU I love our chances at the dance vs either Montana or NDSU.

Id wish SDSU luck but they don't need it. GO DANES!!!!!

I'm the furthest thing from a Jacks apologist, so I wish Albany luck. As much as it pains me to say it, SDSU is miles ahead in terms of physicality when compared to Hawaii or Marshall. Talking this year's teams, I think SDSU wins a game against either by double digits (they've proven it as recently as 2021 with a team that I feel wasn't as talented as this year's team).

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2023, 10:53 AM
I'm the furthest thing from a Jacks apologist, so I wish Albany luck. As much as it pains me to say it, SDSU is miles ahead in terms of physicality when compared to Hawaii or Marshall. Talking this year's teams, I think SDSU wins a game against either by double digits (they've proven it as recently as 2021 with a team that I feel wasn't as talented as this year's team).
Agreed - based on Sagarin ratings SDSU would be a 16 point favorite against Marshall and a 24 point favorite against Hawaii on a neutral field. Sagarin actually has Albany rated higher than Hawaii.

MRuler
December 13th, 2023, 10:53 AM

Without doubt SDSU will be our toughest game of the year especially after a travel schedule like ours that will be over 20,000 miles when were done(not counting Frisco, TX). We should of beaten both Marshall and Hawaii. I believe SDSU would have beaten both. Not sure it would of been by 20 points but no doubt SDSU wins both of those games.

I was quite surprised that SDSU struggled as much as they did against Nova. I know the wind was blowing etc. who cares, that's football. A blocked punt in my opinion saved you guys and was basically the difference. Again, the pressure is all on SDSU and at some point the law of averages will kick in. If we lose I will be pulling for SDSU the rest of the way.

Dusty Kitten
December 13th, 2023, 04:24 PM
CBS Sports book has SDSU by +21 over Albany
I'm not even sure what else to say other than I would totally put money down on THAT spread ASAP
Yes I think the Jacks are going to win, but 21

Holy Cow

SteelSD
December 13th, 2023, 04:42 PM
Seems like a lot of you are going to make easy money this weekend.

Dusty Kitten
December 13th, 2023, 08:28 PM
Seems like a lot of you are going to make easy money this weekend.

Am I crazy ..?
Doesn't 21+ seem like a heck of a spread against a good defense?
13+ is usually the magic number when Vegas thinks the game isn't going to be close and gamblers are over loading one side of the match
But when it gets to 21 that means NOBODY is betting on one opponent

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2023, 08:42 PM
Am I crazy ..?
13+ is usually the magic number when Vegas thinks the game isn't going to be close and gamblers are over loading one side of the match
I think you're underestimating how good SDSU is. They've got a chance to go down as one of the best FCS teams ever if they finish this deal. Albany's defense has been stellar this year, especially against the run, but they're about to get their biggest test of the season by far. If their defense can continue to hold up they got a puncher's shot if their QB is able to put together a great game but it wouldn't surprise me at all if SDSU ran away with this one.

All the 21 point spread means is that's what sports books have to put it at in order to get relatively equal action on both sides.

MUHAWKS
December 13th, 2023, 09:14 PM
I think you're underestimating how good SDSU is. They've got a chance to go down as one of the best FCS teams ever if they finish this deal. Albany's defense has been stellar this year, especially against the run, but they're about to get their biggest test of the season by far. If their defense can continue to hold up they got a puncher's shot if their QB is able to put together a great game but it wouldn't surprise me at all if SDSU ran away with this one.

All the 21 point spread means is that's what sports books have to put it at in order to get relatively equal action on both sides.

This is correct- but I can say firsthand that FCS lines are way WAY more skewed than FBS. Not sure how much total action these games take but if you are disciplined, know the teams and setups, FCS is the best and easiest place to make real $$ gambling. Just as an example. The week after Monmouth beat Hampton 61-10, Delaware was only 14 pt favorites at HOME. The next week The Hens laid 13.5 to Towson. Lafayette/Holy Cross was another one, and The one I couldnt bet for moral reasons, Albany was only 3 pt faves playing Monmouth the last week of season. I can go on and on and on with these, but I think it is the opposite (meaning I do not think people understand how good Albany is).. with that said, people also dont understand how good SDSU is either, BUT this is virtually the same line as The Nova game which was put out without any knowledge of wind, and Albany stomped Nova. I am not sure there is enough total action for Vegas to make lines to try and get even bth sides which as you say is exactly what they do in other sports. I have seen way too much free money. With that said THIS is NOT THAT. SDSU could def beat Albany by 30+.

MUHAWKS
December 13th, 2023, 09:20 PM
to give you guys a real example of how the books think Albany has no shot. I have Albany to win the natty @ + 8000 .. It is just a $60 bet but that wins $4800. Fan duel cash out is $60.41

4 teams left out of 24 and offering me the same cashout as it was after I made the bet.

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2023, 10:26 PM
Albany has a good FCS team

South Dakota State has a good FBS team

I’m thinking Albany is gonna fall apart in this game

Dusty Kitten
December 13th, 2023, 10:59 PM

Agreed,
as I stated, 21+ means NOBODY is betting on one team ...
But to open Vegas has to set the stage which means this thing probably opened at 16 or 17

I'm thinking everybody must know something I don't know / I just put $85 on Albany to cover

KPSUL
December 14th, 2023, 03:35 PM
Agreed,
as I stated, 21+ means NOBODY is betting on one team ...
But to open Vegas has to set the stage which means this thing probably opened at 16 or 17

I'm thinking everybody must know something I don't know / I just put $85 on Albany to cover

21 points can get on the board in a hurry. In last year's Holy Cross game vs SDSU in the playoff the teams went into the 4th quarter with the score tied and the outcome in doubt. SDSU won that game by 21 points and most fans that watched it remember it as fairly close game.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2023, 03:37 PM
21 points can get on the board in a hurry. In last year's Holy Cross game vs SDSU in the playoff the teams went into the 4th quarter with the score tied and the outcome in doubt. SDSU won that game by 21 points and most fans that watched it remember it as fairly close game.

good point

and why I don’t bet

SteelSD
December 14th, 2023, 04:23 PM
The issue with facing SDSU is can you sustain run defense for 4 quarters against that OL and RB tandem? No team has yet. HC held up for 3 quarters and then the dam broke. Villanova held up into the 3rd quarter and then it was over. SDSU grinds you into the dust and uses the play action passing game to keep you honest. We can beat you through the air, but we prefer to grind out your will over 4 quarters. The only team the last 2 years to hold up to it is Iowa. Can Albany? We will find out tomorrow. But I will say that if they don't have a rotation of players on the D-line the answer is no they won't. Someone who is more familiar with Albany can maybe tell me more about that.

Dane96
December 14th, 2023, 04:28 PM

Very true. My biggest concern (other than fatigue, playing what is essentially the best FBS program Albany has faced this year, etc. lol) is SDSU getting out to a really fast start and going up 14 or so points, forcing Albany to take more chances than it normally would.

Dane96
December 14th, 2023, 04:31 PM
The issue with facing SDSU is can you sustain run defense for 4 quarters against that OL and RB tandem? No team has yet. HC held up for 3 quarters and then the dam broke. Villanova held up into the 3rd quarter and then it was over. SDSU grinds you into the dust and uses the play action passing game to keep you honest. We can beat you through the air, but we prefer to grind out your will over 4 quarters. The only team the last 2 years to hold up to it is Iowa. Can Albany? We will find out tomorrow. But I will say that if they don't have a rotation of players on the D-line the answer is no they won't. Someone who is more familiar with Albany can maybe tell me more about that.

We have an extremely good rotation of DL players for the FCS level. But we are no Iowa and we most certainly haven't faced an OL as good as SDSU. We acquitted ourselves very well against Marshall and Hawaii but they each went over 100 yards on the ground...yet I think SDSU as a better OL and RB than both of those teams.

ElCid
December 15th, 2023, 10:10 AM

Yup. I always get a kick out people who actually point to a betting spread as some sort of accurate gage when comparing teams. Sure it may be close at times, but it ultimately all has to do with how much money is being bet on each side. It "can" be totally divorced from the reality of team quality. Just like computers can be off due to their algorithms limiting the type and number of factors. Sure you could say that people betting may hint to some accurate insight into the teams and that will drive the line to a correct spread. But lots of people bet with limited knowledge of the teams involved or they let their emotions take over. Kind of like some people investing in the stock market. Lol.

POD Knows
December 15th, 2023, 10:16 AM

I’m thinking Albany is gonna fall apart in this gameJust saw the FCS All America team, SDSU has 10 guys that are All Americans, virtually 50% of their starting folks on O and D are All Americans, how is it they struggled against Nova, who had only one All American. The math doesn't work.

ElCid
December 15th, 2023, 10:42 AM
Just saw the FCS All America team, SDSU has 10 guys that are All Americans, virtually 50% of their starting folks on O and D are All Americans, how is it they struggled against Nova, who had only one All American. The math doesn't work.

The same way FCS teams occasionally beat FBS teams. Teams relax a bit, think it is in the bag. Opposition may play above their head for a time as well. Lightening strikes in a favorable way. Momentum hangs with a team. A million tiny factors that add up.

I'm not saying they don't deserve it, but 10 seems a bit excessive and slightly unrealistic as well. It's easy to get tunnel vision for those making the selections when a team is on a roll as they have been. Could be laziness as well on the part of the selectors.

Professor Chaos
December 15th, 2023, 10:59 AM
Means very little in regards to this game but a little factoid that might poke the hornet's nest a bit: the last current FCS team from east of the Mississippi to make the FCS title game is Youngstown St in 2016.

Pards Rule
December 15th, 2023, 02:10 PM
Man im contemplating this 21 points...help me!

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 05:09 PM
Just saw the FCS All America team, SDSU has 10 guys that are All Americans, virtually 50% of their starting folks on O and D are All Americans, how is it they struggled against Nova, who had only one All American. The math doesn't work.

Matchups.

MUHAWKS
December 15th, 2023, 05:25 PM
Line is now 17.5

Bison56
December 15th, 2023, 06:08 PM
Albanys D line getting pushed around early.

kdinva
December 15th, 2023, 06:08 PM
a bit of a flop, flag picked up

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2023, 06:12 PM
Just got in. Albany's offense has to execute or this is going to be ugly...

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 06:13 PM
Davis putting on a clinic

Chalupa Batman
December 15th, 2023, 06:16 PM
Albany offense has to be on point tonight. Jacks offense isn’t going to be stopped very much.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2023, 06:22 PM
Excellent response by Albany so far. But can they execute like this through the air for 60? Poff's arm might fall off...

uofmman1122
December 15th, 2023, 06:23 PM
Whoops

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 06:24 PM
Whelp, that's it for Albany... good game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2023, 06:24 PM
I just don't see how you can beat SDSU being one dimensional. And running wide when you do? It didn't work last week last and it ain't working tonight...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2023, 06:26 PM
Whelp, that's it for Albany... good game.

Still hope for the SUNYs! Cortland and North Central are tied late in the first quarter in the D3 National Title...

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 06:26 PM
I just don't see how you can beat SDSU being one dimensional. And running wide when you do? It didn't work last week last and it ain't working tonight...

They need to run between the tackles and try to expose SDSUs penetration, SDSU is too fast to try and take the edge.

uofmman1122
December 15th, 2023, 06:27 PM
This looks so easy for SDSU

Bison56
December 15th, 2023, 06:30 PM
Way to easy for the bunnies.

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 06:31 PM
Its just a warm up for the finals, probably sit all their starters at halftime.

Bisonator
December 15th, 2023, 06:35 PM
Going to be a long night for the Danes I'm afraid.

Chalupa Batman
December 15th, 2023, 06:36 PM
Its just a warm up for the finals, probably sit all their starters at halftime.

If they’re focused, no one else has a chance.

uofmman1122
December 15th, 2023, 06:45 PM
Alright, feel like I can turn this one off

Go Lehigh TU owl
This is just a total mismatch. Villanova had the "dudes" to push SDSU, Albany does not. Not even close. If the Wildcats played the Danes later in the year VU wins going away....

acbearkat
This one looks like it will be ugly.

MUHAWKS
December 15th, 2023, 06:47 PM
This one looks like it will be ugly.

what makes you say that? LOL

Christiank22
December 15th, 2023, 06:47 PM
There’s a reason the computers put Albany in the middle to bottom of the MVFC. They’re bad

dewey
December 15th, 2023, 06:48 PM
The line I saw earlier was SDSU -20. That was way too low.

Dewey

Christiank22
December 15th, 2023, 06:51 PM
The line I saw earlier was SDSU -20. That was way too low.

Dewey

Seriously. I don’t think Albany would have a winning record if they played in the Valley.

Wins over WIU, ISUb, ISUr Murray… that’s probably it?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2023, 06:54 PM
This reminds of the Georgia vs Hawaii Sugar Bowl a several years ago. SDSU is just an atrocious matchup for Albany. Especially on a short week after the Danes were in Idaho...

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 06:54 PM
Albany should maybe just quit.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2023, 06:55 PM
Be thankful for the D3 Title Game!!

kdinva
ball game

Go Lehigh TU owl
Albany should maybe just quit.

I think some will be portalling at half.....

putter
Albany is scared. I have never seen so many guys with the Ole' tackle drill. Pathetic.

Paladin1aa
Seriously. I don’t think Albany would have a winning record if they played in the Valley.

Yep. The MVFC is solid. Most of FCS is nowhere near the Valley, top to bottom.

Dane96
December 15th, 2023, 06:57 PM
I am going to go drink.

SDSU is an insanely talented footballl team, and Albany looks like **** tonight...a good portion of that because SDSU is a ridiculous football team.

Jacks could easily demolish a large portion of the FBS, a solid Top 30-35 team

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2023, 06:59 PM

Outside of Villanova and Furman Eastern FCS football is flaky right now. With that said those two still have a very high ceiling even though being a private makes it tough to be consistently elite. Now that Chesney is gone from HC and Delaware heading to FBS with their tail between their legs who will fill the void? UNH's run seems pretty much over, Richmond with Huesman and W&M with London aren't UTC? Mercer? WCU? Not buying them reaching this level. I dunno...

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 07:00 PM
Everything coming up Jacks.

Bison56
December 15th, 2023, 07:01 PM
Does Albany have any pass plays other than the hail mary?

Christiank22
December 15th, 2023, 07:03 PM
lol at the espn guy saying the Jacks have a dynasty that’s just as good as NDSUs dynasty. Since when is 1 title a dynasty?

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 07:04 PM
a flicker!

dewey
December 15th, 2023, 07:06 PM
D3 title game for me too.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
December 15th, 2023, 07:10 PM
lol at the espn guy saying the Jacks have a dynasty that’s just as good as NDSUs dynasty. Since win is 1 title a dynasty?
Since this....

https://www.jmu.edu/student-life/_images/dukedog-suit-480x480.jpg

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 07:12 PM
a flicker!
and its gone.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2023, 07:14 PM
This is why the Oilers could never win in the playoffs with the run n' shoot offense. The margin for error is so small...

Christiank22
December 15th, 2023, 07:16 PM
Since this....

Oh god the streamers….

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2023, 07:18 PM
Outside of Villanova and Furman Eastern FCS football is flaky right now. With that said those two still have a very high ceiling even though being a private makes it tough to be consistently elite. Now that Chesney is gone from HC and Delaware heading to FBS with their tail between their legs who will fill the void? UNH's run seems pretty much over, Richmond with Huesman and W&M with London aren't UTC? Mercer? WCU? Not buying them reaching this level. I dunno...

Ive said it before , YSU would beat 90% of FCS. As the 5th rated team in the MVFC , we got beat by the CAA co champ Nova. But I’m watching the MVFC champ curb stomping the other CAA co champ - verdict, top to bottom the MVFC dominates most if not all of FCS. We had 6 teams this year capable of playing with the limited “upper” echelons of FCS.

Bison56
December 15th, 2023, 07:22 PM
Since this....

Worst fan base I've ever been around.

UNHWildcat18
December 15th, 2023, 07:22 PM
Ive said it before , YSU would beat 90% of FCS. As the 5th rated team in the MVFC , we got bea5 by the CAA co champ Nova. But I’m watching the MVFC champ curb stomping the other CAA co champ - verdict, top to bottom the MVFC dominates most if not all of FCS. We had 6 teams this year capable of playing with the limited “upper” echelons of FCS.

You are so utterly full of ****.

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2023, 07:26 PM
I am going to go drink.

SDSU is an insanely talented footballl team, and Albany looks like **** tonight...a good portion of that because SDSU is a ridiculous football team.

Jacks could easily demolish a large portion of the FBS, a solid Top 30-35 team

higher

top 25

JacksFan40
December 15th, 2023, 07:26 PM
Mercer put up more of a fight than this.

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2023, 07:28 PM
Am and I crazy ..?

Yep

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2023, 07:29 PM

I’m thinking Albany is gonna fall apart in this game

I knew it

Professor Chaos
December 15th, 2023, 07:30 PM
I knew it
How come you picked Albany to win then? ;)

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 07:31 PM

Look at you two bitter clown...both your teams home and you talking **** about hypotheticals. As for who Albany would beat in the MVFC, I think they would be alright...I mean they did beat the awesome Vandals who were ranked higher.

UNHWildcat18
December 15th, 2023, 07:43 PM
Look at you two bitter clown...both your teams home and you talking **** about hypotheticals. As for who Albany would beat in the MVFC, I think they would be alright...I mean they did beat the awesome Vandals who were ranked higher.

Truly, watching YSU fans trying and pat themselves on the back all playoffs is hilarious and sad, using hypotheticals and one game scenarios to justify ridiculous statements. Watching Villanova crush them was great.

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2023, 07:44 PM

Anyone else enjoying this MVFC beat down, 😂😂😂

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 07:45 PM
Truly, watching YSU fans trying and pat themselves on the back all playoffs is hilarious and sad, using hypotheticals and one game scenarios to justify ridiculous statements. Watching Villanova crush them was great.

Jealousy is ugly...

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2023, 07:46 PM

theres that CAA inferiority complex again, 😂😂😂

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure why Albany came out of the locker room.

KPSUL
December 15th, 2023, 07:49 PM
This game is a mismatch, but Albany is playing like Great Dane size dog poop. They might be losing to 2023 Stony Brook with the stupid things they are doing so far. Poffenbarger was throwing the ball up for grabs after they fell behind by 14. Woodell should not even be on the field with the condition of his shoulders.

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2023, 07:50 PM
Barely into the second half , Bunnies up 42-0

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 07:51 PM
Anyone else enjoying this MVFC beat down, 

It's fine it was expected, did you see the vegas spread. But it's hilarious you and your 6th place finish in the MVFC being the cheerleader. You are like that fat retarded kid who's the water boy on the football team talking about how "your team" is awesome...

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure why Albany came out of the locker room.

Listen, they way that it works is you win or lose with dignity and that requires manning up even when you are getting smoked. What would you know about that?

uofmman1122
December 15th, 2023, 08:02 PM
I don't think Albany is as bad a team as they're showing tonight, but football is all about matchups, and it is crystal clear that they do not match up well against SDSU at all.

It also doesn't help that SDSU might be at least 20 points better right now than every other FCS team.

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 08:03 PM
I don't think Albany is as bad a team as they're showing tonight, but football is all about matchups, and it is crystal clear that they do not match up well against SDSU at all.

It also doesn't help that SDSU might be at least 20 points better right now than any other FCS team.

Agreed...they aren't losing to anyone in FCS. With that said, really wish UA would have stayed out west on the short schedule. They don't have the talent to keep up as it is and losing 2 days for travel on a short week is brutal. Congrats again to SDSU...hell of a team.

KPSUL
December 15th, 2023, 08:04 PM

It also doesn't help that SDSU might be at least 20 points better right now than every other FCS team.

Exactly.

FUBeAR
December 15th, 2023, 08:05 PM
Is it too early to start talking about how the SoCon’s 3rd best Team is clearly far better than the CAA’s best Team?

UNHWildcat18
December 15th, 2023, 08:07 PM
theres that CAA inferiority complex again, 

You’re like watching Kentucky brag about the SEC as they sit on the couch and watch Bama/Georgia run the show. Keep using that transitive property math so you can feel better about yourself when you look in the mirror.

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 08:20 PM
You’re like watching Kentucky brag about the SEC as they sit on the couch and watch Bama/Georgia run the show. Keep using that transitive property math so you can feel better about yourself when you look in the mirror.

YSU finishes mid-pack in the CAA...and he's talking *ish...hilarious.

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2023, 08:23 PM
How come you picked Albany to win then? ;)

I did? Must of came to my senses

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 08:24 PM
I guess I should have took SDSU to cover twice.

POD Knows
December 15th, 2023, 08:30 PM
This game is a mismatch, but Albany is playing like Great Dane size dog poop. They might be losing to 2023 Stony Brook with the stupid things they are doing so far. Poffenbarger was throwing the ball up for grabs after they fell behind by 14. Woodell should not even be on the field with the condition of his shoulders.
He freaking throws the ball up grabs all the time. He gets away with it in the CAA

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 08:36 PM
I really don't get the hate for UA on this board and in this thread...honestly kind of baffling from fans of teams who are already in the offseason. Kind of weird...yeah, bad showing but insulting the CAA, UA etc. is kind of a weird level if disdain. Albany has been pretty bad, on a good run and had a great season...no one expected UA to win this, the spread in Vagas was 20. I don't get the piling on from fans who's teams have been sitting at home for a while now. Does that make people feel better about their teams? People gonna **** on whomever SDSU smokes in the finals? Like what losers...couldn't even win a championship.

I don't post here a lot but this board is a strange place.

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 08:40 PM
I guess I should have took SDSU to cover twice.

Not only are you unfunny but you're also pretty much illiterate.

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2023, 08:41 PM
Oops, 56-0 !

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 08:41 PM
Not only are you unfunny but you're also pretty much illiterate.

Need a tissue buddy?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2023, 08:45 PM
I have no idea why anyone is watching this. D3 Title Game has been great! The SUNY Sytem still has a shot at a natty!

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 08:47 PM
Need a tissue buddy?

Nah, thanks...wouldn't want to catch whatever afflicts you.

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 08:49 PM
Nah, thanks...wouldn't want to catch whatever afflicts you.
Are all CAA fans this salty when their teams get run out of the stadium? Feel like this was Bill & Mary last year. Bunch of cry babies.

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2023, 08:50 PM
Wow ! 59-0

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 08:51 PM
Are all CAA fans this salty when their teams get run out of the stadium? Feel like this was Bill & Mary last year. Bunch of cry babies.

Didn't you lose by 4+ TD's recently to your bigger brother? And you're throwing rocks? Hilarious!

smilo
December 15th, 2023, 08:52 PM
Villanova will be ahead of Albany in my final ballot finally. I thought SDSU by 30, but holy cow. I didn't think it could be this bad.

Tank Edwards
December 15th, 2023, 08:53 PM
I don't think Albany has anything to be ashamed of. They went in and beat a very good Idaho team. Albany has pretty good all year, and it's a great season for them. This SDSU team is pretty special I think, and when they're on they're on another level.

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 08:53 PM
Villanova will be ahead of Albany in my final ballot finally. I thought SDSU by 30, but holy cow. I didn't think it could be this bad.

Yeah bad showing...they aren't on SDSU level but having watched them all year including on the road at Idaho...they aren't 60pts worse. Absolute ass kicking...played the worst game of their lives.

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 08:55 PM
-
Didn't you lose by 4+ TD's recently to your bigger brother? And you're throwing rocks? Hilarious!

And I didn't go throw tantrum. 59-0, try not to cry yourself to sleep tonight.

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 08:57 PM
-

And I didn't go throw tantrum. 59-0, try not to cry yourself to sleep tonight.

No one is throwing a tantrum, people are talking on a message board. Where's your team playing this weekend? Good luck, I hope you win.

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 08:59 PM
No one is throwing a tantrum, people are talking on a message board. Where's your team playing this weekend? Good luck, I hope you win.
Whatever you need to tell yourself, you picked a fight with me because your team got its ***** pushed in. cry me a river. night cupcake.

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 09:00 PM
Whatever you need to tell yourself, you picked a fight with me because your team got its ***** pushed in. cry me a river. night cupcake.

Picked a fight, I made an observation that there are two miserable sob's in this thread gloating as their team sits at home...you didn't like it, tough luck. You are what you are. Good luck this weekend.

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 09:09 PM
59-0 final...hearty congrats to SDSU team and fans. Special team...enjoy the 'chip game.

robsnotes4u
December 15th, 2023, 09:21 PM
Yeah bad showing...they aren't on SDSU level but having watched them all year including on the road at Idaho...they aren't 60pts worse. Absolute ass kicking...played the worst game of their lives.

It is your perception. If you take into account strength of schedule, as an outsider this score is not a shock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 09:23 PM
It is your perception. If you take into account strength of schedule, as an outsider this score is not a shock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fair enough...I didn't think UA was gonna win..I thought UA would lose by multiple TD's but would be able to put something up. I know SDSU is #1 ranked D as well as their O.

clickclack
December 15th, 2023, 09:29 PM
What's UA's strength of schedule...

WN has it like this...is this garbage? They did beat Idaho #10 ELO on the road. I keep hearing people say Albany didn't play anyone and doesn't belong here. Especially sour Idaho fans on their board.

https://i.imgur.com/SWoVuMJ.png

Ivytalk
December 15th, 2023, 09:35 PM
Congrats to SDSU for its dominant win.

SteelSD
December 15th, 2023, 09:53 PM
Congrats to Albany on a great season. Unfortunately playing us in the semifinals at home hasn’t been enjoyable for the opponents. I think everyone can see how much the wind affected our Villanova game as we do like to have balance.

The Yo Show
December 16th, 2023, 06:04 AM
I really don't get the hate for UA on this board and in this thread...honestly kind of baffling from fans of teams who are already in the offseason. Kind of weird...yeah, bad showing but insulting the CAA, UA etc. is kind of a weird level if disdain. Albany has been pretty bad, on a good run and had a great season...no one expected UA to win this, the spread in Vagas was 20. I don't get the piling on from fans who's teams have been sitting at home for a while now. Does that make people feel better about their teams? People gonna **** on whomever SDSU smokes in the finals? Like what losers...couldn't even win a championship.

I don't post here a lot but this board is a strange place.

To try to renew your faith in both this board and it's posters, it is impressive what Albany did achieve in the fcs this year. Huge improvement from 2022 where they went 3-8.

NY Crusader 2010
December 16th, 2023, 06:41 AM
Great season for Albany. SDSU looks to be on another level right now, even compared to last year's championship team.

Congrats to the Jacks for another trip to Frisco.

NY Crusader 2010
December 16th, 2023, 06:44 AM

I guess some of us will be playing the "whoever has the most competitive playoff loss to SDSU gets the #2 ranking" game again, HAHA.

Southsider
December 16th, 2023, 07:00 AM
[QUOTE=Tank Edwards;3167971]I don't think Albany has anything to be ashamed of. They went in and beat a very good Idaho team. Albany has pretty good all year, and it's a great season for them. This SDSU team is pretty special I think, and when they're on they're on another level.[/QUOTE

Exactly. This is why college football needs another re-allignment. Too many haves and even more have-nots. Congrats SDSU.

ysubigred
December 16th, 2023, 07:53 AM
[QUOTE=Tank Edwards;3167971]I don't think Albany has anything to be ashamed of. They went in and beat a very good Idaho team. Albany has pretty good all year, and it's a great season for them. This SDSU team is pretty special I think, and when they're on they're on another level.[/QUOTE

Exactly. This is why college football needs another re-allignment. Too many haves and even more have-nots. Congrats SDSU.Right.. I've been saying this for years. James Madison and a few others have the luxury of $$ to do the step up. NDSU should have been gone 7 years ago, and SDSU appears ready. On the other hand, many more at the FBS level need to drop back down. One factor we sometimes forget is not always about football movements. So there is that.

Pards Rule
December 16th, 2023, 08:18 AM
Congrats to Albany on a great season. Unfortunately playing us in the semifinals at home hasn’t been enjoyable for the opponents. I think everyone can see how much the wind affected our Villanova game as we do like to have balance.

Yes great season for Danes and Jacks go onto the warmer (maybe?) Frisco for next game. Thank you Jacks - I bet HEAVY UP on you and points so Merry Christmas to my good friends out there.

Hammerhead
December 16th, 2023, 08:54 AM
I'm not convinced SDSU has the money to move up. Any additional funding from the state might also require an equal match to to USD if their politics are anything like North Dakota's. Most Bison fans agree that our location is the biggest factor from getting an invite to an FBS conference. That might help if we had a travel partner (or three travel partners) with all four Dakota schools on the eastern edge of the states.

[QUOTE=Southsider;3168018]Right.. I've been saying this for years. James Madison and a few others have the luxury of $$ to do the step up. NDSU should have been gone 7 years ago, and SDSU appears ready. On the other hand, many more at the FBS level need to drop back down. One factor we sometimes forget is not always about football movements. So there is that.

Chalupa Batman
December 16th, 2023, 03:08 PM
lol at the espn guy saying the Jacks have a dynasty that’s just as good as NDSUs dynasty. Since when is 1 title a dynasty?

I might have to give it a re-listen but I thought he was saying that this years Jacks team is as good as any that NDSU has had in the dynasty run.

Houndawg
December 16th, 2023, 07:14 PM

I'm not so sure about ISUr

Houndawg
December 16th, 2023, 07:25 PM
Fair enough...I didn't think UA was gonna win..I thought UA would lose by multiple TD's but would be able to put something up. I know SDSU is #1 ranked D as well as their O.

I think Albany and Idaho were both overseeded

SteelSD
December 17th, 2023, 12:03 AM
Is it too early to start talking about how the SoCon’s 3rd best Team is clearly far better than the CAA’s best Team?
2nd best, we’ve already established this.

FUBeAR
December 17th, 2023, 12:29 AM
2nd best, we’ve already established this.
Mercer and Albany are both place-fluid within their respective conferences. For the purpose of this text, Albany is identifying as 1st place in the CAA and Mercer is identifying as 3rd place in the SoCon.

Who are you to say they cannot live out their truths?

KPSUL
December 17th, 2023, 08:39 AM
Mercer and Albany are both place-fluid within their respective conferences. For the purpose of this text, Albany is identifying as 1st place in the CAA and Mercer is identifying as 3rd place in the SoCon.

2023 Albany was an anomaly. Here today, gone tomorrow.

SteelSD
December 17th, 2023, 12:09 PM

I will admit my issues and openly come out as standingsphobic

FUBeAR
December 17th, 2023, 12:10 PM
Current Truth > Vacuous Conjecture

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2023, 01:26 PM

Time will obviously tell. But, with SUNY-Cortland winning the D3 National Title (they've been building towards this) I think "small"/"traditional" college football might be something the SUNYs are able to rally behind. Albany's location is generally attractive imo and also tests my "proximity to the state capital theory" in terms of various political/social forces benefiting one institution over another despite a predetermined pecking order suggesting otherwise.

KPSUL
December 17th, 2023, 04:09 PM
Time will obviously tell. But, with SUNY-Cortland winning the D3 National Title (they've been building towards this) I think "small"/"traditional" college football might be something the SUNYs are able to rally behind. Albany's location is generally attractive imo and also tests my "proximity to the state capital theory" in terms of various political/social forces benefiting one institution over another despite a predetermined pecking order suggesting otherwise.

I don't have much confidence in Greg Gattuso as a gameday coach. Some how he has done a good job of building a team from the portal, but almost everyone of note on that team started elsewhere. A lot of them are SRs and Grads and I don't see lightening striking twice for him in the transfer market. I wouldn't be surprised to see Poffenbarger testing the water in the portal, although his stock dropped Friday evening. He would have been better off losing by a TD to Idaho.

Go...gate
December 17th, 2023, 05:00 PM
Congratulations to Albany on an outstanding season!

Go...gate
December 17th, 2023, 05:03 PM

Wow.

Not especially gracious to the team and school that won your own conference.

KPSUL
December 17th, 2023, 06:11 PM
Wow.

Not especially gracious to the team and school that won your own conference.

No it certainly was not!

mainejeff
December 17th, 2023, 06:31 PM
My question is....are UNH's best days behind them?

Chalupa Batman
December 17th, 2023, 08:42 PM

Hope you're wrong, I like seeing new teams come up and stay good. But for some reason I think they go the way of Maine after their run to the semis a few years ago

MRuler
December 18th, 2023, 06:17 AM
Albany will be fine dont worry! They will be competitive in the CAA for years to come similar to Villanova.UA will look different on Defense next season but they get most of their offense back. Couple that with the fact that most incoming transfers want to play for a winner.

Pards Rule
December 18th, 2023, 08:33 AM
Damn...I went heavy up on SDSU staight with points and now Ceasars app says I cant bet anymore unless I watch responsible gaming video! Any of you have this?

KPSUL
December 18th, 2023, 06:19 PM
Hope you're wrong, I like seeing new teams come up and stay good. But for some reason I think they go the way of Maine after their run to the semis a few years ago

Maine was devastated by transfers and coach defections right after the 2018 season. The head coach took a P5 position coach job, and the defensive coordinator went to JMU as the D Coordinator for twice the money. The starting QB (Furguson) went to Liberty, I believe he had to sit out a year and never started. There were other players who left as well. Part of my thinking on Albany was that they would lose a bunch of talent, especially on defense. Today we learn that the anchors of their D-Line DE Juncaj and DT Hills are in the portal. As I posted elsewhere, I think that Poffenbarger might have jumped, but there are so many QBs in the portal already, especially FBS, it probably would not be a smart move.

I also think Greg Gattuso is not a great coach. Give him credit for assembling one of the best transfer teams in FCS this season, but a lot of these guys are one and done. I shouldn't be getting into a pissing contest with any Albany fans over this (and actually won't), all of whom have been calling for his head on a spike for years before this one good season. I think he has been coaching for 9 seasons and even after this 11-4 season, his overall record at Albany is below .500.

KPSUL
December 18th, 2023, 06:31 PM

14 consecutive playoff appearances ending 6 years ago, looks like they may already be in the rear view mirror. But Rick Santos still has more winning seasons ahead of him and I suspect you probably sense that as well. This season was a disappointment at 6-5, particularly with All American offensive talent at QB and RB. Santos' W-L record is 21-14 after 3 seasons coaching the team with one Conference Championship.

Houndawg
December 19th, 2023, 01:22 PM
Maine was devastated by transfers and coach defections right after the 2018 season. The head coach took a P5 position coach job, and the defensive coordinator went to JMU as the D Coordinator for twice the money. The starting QB (Furguson) went to Liberty, I believe he had to sit out a year and never started. There were other players who left as well. Part of my thinking on Albany was that they would lose a bunch of talent, especially on defense. Today we learn that the anchors of their D-Line DE Juncaj and DT Hills are in the portal. As I posted elsewhere, I think that Poffenbarger might have jumped, but there are so many QBs in the portal already, especially FBS, it probably would not be a smart move.

I also think Greg Gattuso is not a great coach. Give him credit for assembling one of the best transfer teams in FCS this season, but a lot of these guys are one and done. I shouldn't be getting into a pissing contest with any Albany fans over this (and actually won't), all of whom have been calling for his head on a spike for years before this one good season. I think he has been coaching for 9 seasons and even after this 11-4 season, his overall record at Albany is below .500.

SIU is in the market, I think Nick Baker is getting an SS check now

KPSUL
December 19th, 2023, 08:15 PM

So is New Hampshire! We've made an offer to one, although I'll keep that on the QT.

I'm sure Baker has nothing age-wise on Rhode Island QB, Kasim Hill. Hill played his first college game in 2017 for Maryland vs Texas.

caribbeanhen
December 20th, 2023, 10:18 AM

The entire CAA’s best days are in the rear view mirror

what’s up ahead is anyone’s guess

mmiller_34
December 20th, 2023, 09:22 PM

Hope you guys get Poffenberger. He was a deer in headlights all night against us.