PDA

View Full Version : Delaware State at James Madison

JMU Duke Dog
September 14th, 2005, 08:58 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

Delaware State (2-0) at No. 8 James Madison (1-1), 6:00

The Dukes didn’t really play poorly in a 31-27 loss to Coastal Carolina, but they couldn’t close things out down the stretch after grabbing a 10-point fourth quarter advantage. The running game didn’t dominate the Chanticleers the way it has against many I-AA opponents. That should change this week against Delaware State, who has a good defense but is not in the same class as the Dukes. The Hornets have allowed only 23 total points this year in wins against Florida A & M and Millersville. They could make some noise as a sleeper in the MEAC, but don’t have a consistent quarterback or running back or the size to match up with James Madison. The Dukes should take out some frustration from last week’s defeat by running all over the Hornets for an easy win. Prediction: James Madison 45, Delaware State 10

I would have to say JMU is favored at home against Delaware State but the Hornets should not be underestimated. I think the above prediction will not occur as the score will probably be closer. JMU coach Mickey Matthews on the Hornets: "They have as much team speed as anyone in the country....They have our attention."

blukeys
September 14th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Delstate has hamstrung their last 3 coaches giving them only 45 to 50 scollies and then expecting them to compete with schools giving out 63. Sessoms has committed to Lavan the full complement of scollies and has done what has to be done on Title IX (The women's v'ball team has increased their scolly players). Lavan has done the smart thing in using some D-IA transfers (he was a D-1A assistant coach) to bolster his defense. Delstate is a tough nut and JMU would be wise to take them seriously. This will be a low scoring affair. If JMU takes DSU lightly there will be a repeat of last Saturday.

I think last Saturday's loss will get the attention of the Dukes and they will prevail. However DSU is a potential MEAC contender and one of those teams no one looks forward to playing. :) :)

Chants '07
September 14th, 2005, 09:15 PM
State pays a visit to the House of Hooters Sept 24th, go get em JMU!!

They're going to get a hungry Chants team either way!!

charliej
September 14th, 2005, 09:36 PM
I recall an article about a few IA transfers.How many did they get?

If DSU goes on a two week win streak, this place could become a real Hornets nest. :p

Big Dawg
September 14th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Watch out for #6 for Delaware St. That guy is a monster.

DSU has a quick defense.

blur2005
September 14th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I'm really hoping that the defeat this past game will wake up JMU. If we played some defense, that Coastal game never would have happened. So hopefully the defense got a kick in the pants and the team will get its act together. Also, I think the running game did dominate, considering we have one guy go for 88 yards rushing, the other 72...but maybe we didn't have the time of possession we normally have. I don't know; point is, we need to wake up and start playing like we can.

rokamortis
September 15th, 2005, 06:49 AM
If we played some defense, that Coastal game never would have happened.

Were you there? You guys played pretty good defense, we just took advantage of a mismatch in your secondary and your coaches wouldn't adjust. Your guys covered pretty well, but they just didn't have the height.

ChickenMan
September 15th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Del St is definately improved... the question is... how much??? We will know a lot more by 9pm Saturday night.

JMUfan2008
September 15th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Were you there? You guys played pretty good defense, we just took advantage of a mismatch in your secondary and your coaches wouldn't adjust. Your guys covered pretty well, but they just didn't have the height.

Ummm....no offense to CCU, you are good and should get respect after that game, but we are a lot better than we played on Saturday. If you thought that was us at our best, you are sadly mistaken. We just kind of "sleepwalked" through the first half, then dropped the sure interception that would have ended the game right then. Now that we have that loss under our belts we have something to prove again so you'll probably see us playing much much better defense (and hopefully get someone who can kick a PAT and 30 yard field goal....)

Tubby Raymond
September 15th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Delstate has hamstrung their last 3 coaches giving them only 45 to 50 scollies and then expecting them to compete with schools giving out 63. Sessoms has committed to Lavan the full complement of scollies and has done what has to be done on Title IX (The women's v'ball team has increased their scolly players). Lavan has done the smart thing in using some D-IA transfers (he was a D-1A assistant coach) to bolster his defense. Delstate is a tough nut and JMU would be wise to take them seriously. This will be a low scoring affair. If JMU takes DSU lightly there will be a repeat of last Saturday.

I think last Saturday's loss will get the attention of the Dukes and they will prevail. However DSU is a potential MEAC contender and one of those teams no one looks forward to playing. :) :)

Mickey is correct that they have allot of team speed at the skills positions and in the d-backfield but the lines on both sides of the ball leave something to be desired. Also have a freshman QB :rolleyes:

In contrast to my Bluehen bretheren I would see a high scoring affair with JMU winning by 3 touches. Gotta rememebr that these guys play in the MEAC where the conferance champ has been exited from the playoffs in the first round, how many years in a row?

As for the I-A transfers, in the local paper it was written that two of them were determined by the NCAA to be ineligible for this season due to academic woes. Why am I not surprised? :eek:

Tubby Raymond
September 15th, 2005, 09:56 AM

I was not at the game but any team giving up 31 points, ain't playing defense

MadisonFootball
September 15th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I gotta say your right, this is my last comment about last week because it really does not matter anymore with a new team just hours away. Point is that our defense played bad and our offense played mediocre.

Lots to work on as our Defense, slothed their way through last week. I am predicting a big win for JMU though ,they need to make a statement and it must be heard.

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Del St is definately improved... the question is... how much??? We will know a lot more by 9pm Saturday night.

Improved, but not by enough to lose to JMU by less than 3 TDs. I agree with Tubby.

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2005, 09:24 PM
UMASS & SALUKIS.....ROCKED DUH HORNETS NEST...LAST SEASON.......DIS SEASON.....DUKEY DAWG...SPRAYS DUH HORNETS WHIFF.....BUG REPELLENT!......JMU IN UH BIG TIME ROLL IT UP!......SORRY INSECT FANS!.......DEL. STATE SIGNS UP SEVERALAH I-A TRANSFERS....BUT WE TALKIN' MEAC...LADS..MEAC!...:rotateh::nod::rotateh:..AWK!