PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the NC Game...anyone feeling the same?

APPALACHIANstate
December 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I am just a simple fan who is just sharing his thoughts, if this is boring just ignore it.

I have a feeling many ASU fans are way to confident. I hope this is just the fans and not the players. This is the CHAMPIONSHIP game, if you don't think kids are going to STEP UP, you are crazy. App has an explosive offense, but they also have a defense that can be hot or cold. They NEED big defensive plays. However, you do not always GET big plays. I believe if the D stays solid, Appalachian will win based on their offense. We should not overlook Delawares offensive combo though. Have a QB that can go deep and a great running back can fool defenses easily.

Whatever happens, happens. Here is to a safe game, and a Mountaineer victory...

appfan2008
December 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I just spoke with a Delaware grad who will be attending the game... He was VERY worried about Armanti and thought that if he did what he did last week it would be no contest... He also thought ASU was the better team but to watch out for Cuff against our run defense...

I feel the same way on all counts

AppStsGr8
December 13th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Long ago, I learned that the game is on the field. You can't beat them with press clippings. Hopefully, our beloved Mountaineers will show up in fine form ... can't wait to hit the road for Chattanooga.

Eight Legger
December 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Without looking, I think JMU and UR are the only teams to have played both App and Delaware this year. We beat JMU by one at their place, UD squeaked by them at UD, and ASU obviously squeaked by JMU. I choose to view the UR-ASU final as the anomaly in this foursome, as Edwards had a career game, our defense was missing a couple guys and ASU was pumped to be playing for a third trip to the NC. (These aren't excuses for why we lost -- just for why the score was a 20-point margin.)

Based on the three tight games, I'd say the NC should be a good game. Obviously if ASU plays the way it did against us, no one will beat them. Even with the guys we were missing on D, I'd venture that our D was better than UD's. ASU could easily put up more than 50 again Friday, but then again so could UD.

If I had to guess, I'd say ASU 45, UD 38.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 13th, 2007, 09:07 PM
ASU seems ready for their annual coronation in Chattanooga.

Our inability to contain AE made them look unbeatable. Look for the Hens to have a better plan to stop him.

UD 28 ASU 23. Go CAA! xthumbsupx

feb18blacksunday
December 13th, 2007, 09:30 PM
That big TE 89 I think will be a key performer for UD's offense. Gotta stop Cuff and don't give up the long pass.

Appaholic
December 13th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I agree....I hope I am confusing our fans excitement with over-confidence.....UD scares me......their leader, Flacco, does not get rattled and we have a tendency to allow teams to get back in the game.....we cannot afford to do that if we are able to get an early lead....

Rob Iola
December 13th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Won't make any predictions, other than to agree that ASU should be the favorite.
Just like UNI...
Just like SIU...
Jump to a 3 score lead and you'll coast.
Come out tight, keep UD in the game, well - Flacco and UD just haven't been making any mistakes...

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 13th, 2007, 10:45 PM
ASU will be pumped!!!!!!!

But don't count out those Hens.........UR passed the ball against ASU.....Flacco should be able to do the same...mix in the run.....equals points on the score board.

.............then there is AE...lightning fast.......Hens......better have contaiment.......but I think you can do it........

ASUdrummer
December 14th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Part of me wants us to blow UD out of the water and part of me wants a great game. Honestly, I think both teams will play to where the latter is more probable. It's the National Championship and BOTH teams know this. I have a feeling all the past games don't really matter, these teams are going to play their hearts out and it's going to be quite amazing to watch!

patssle
December 14th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I havn't seen App play...but from seeing the stats...and watching UD play...I can't help but think this going is going to be a huge App blowout.

But hopefully not...hoping for a great game.

AppChicago
December 14th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I haven't followed UD closely enough to make a totally educated statement on the matter, but I DO feel that App has a penchant for inconsistancy. When we're on, we're phenomenal. When we're off, we allow 2 TDs in the first two minutes of the game and never regain the momentum.

UD seems to be solid and generally dependable, and undoubtedly talented. Cuff and Flacco DO scare me. Then again, we've got our stars, too. Big shiny stars.

If we win, we could win big. In my mind, the narrower the margin is, the worse our chances are. Exponentially, even.

Then again, that's my gut talking.

My brain tells me that it's an honor to just be at the game, and my jewels just keep screaming "GO APP STATE!" over and over.

Tod
December 14th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Hope for a good game, from a guy who couldn't care less (yeah. right!!!).

Lots of "if's, and's or but's"

Let's go!!!

UD wins on a squeeker!

Good luck to both teams!! xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

AppSt.09
December 14th, 2007, 04:14 AM
I feel the same way, but to me it is very hard for an App. St. fan not to gewt cocky. i've been to every game this year except for wofford and seeing what our guys can do it makes me overly confident. but i expect a good game and that our guys will pull out the unthinkable and set the record for many seasons to come!xbowx xnodx

RadMann
December 14th, 2007, 04:40 AM
I just hope the ASU team is as overconfident as their fans are. JMU had ASU and lost. The UR ASU game was tied at 35 in the third before they pulled past UR strong. It really depends on how the teams perform as this is either team's game to win and both are very capable to do so. UD beat the undefeated number one team in the country on the road in the playoffs. Hopefully they can overcome this cocky bunch of fans filling the Stadium in Chatty and their team as well.

cougarpines
December 14th, 2007, 04:42 AM
I feel the same way, but to me it is very hard for an App. St. fan not to gewt cocky. i've been to every game this year except for wofford and seeing what our guys can do it makes me overly confident. but i expect a good game and that our guys will pull out the unthinkable and set the record for many seasons to come!xbowx xnodx

First, it's not hard to be confident based on your performance the last three years. I believe the line is now UD +9. I can get overly confident based on UD's performance in the Navy and NIU games and scared to death based on the UR, JMU and VU games. While I am rooting for the Hen's, I want a good showing for the FCS on Nat'l. TV regardless of who wins. I want these fans of the FBS football factories to see the quality of our game and how a real champion should be determined.

Good luck to all.

Oldhen
December 14th, 2007, 05:15 AM
I have a feeling many ASU fans are way to confident.... App has an explosive offense, but they also have a defense that can be hot or cold.... I believe if the D stays solid, Appalachian will win based on their offense. We should not overlook Delawares offensive combo though. Have a QB that can go deep and a great running back can fool defenses easily.

Way, way, way, too much focus on the skill players.

The game will be won or lost at the LOS.

UD won't 'shut down' Edwards (whatever that means). They're going to try to make ASU work for every yard and keep as many plays as possible in front of them. Discipline and intensity on D. We keep your OL off our LB's, I expect you to get roughly your averages on O in yardage and scoring.

*UNLESS*

...our O can excecute our OC's characteristic ball-control passing scheme efficiently, with a heavy dose of Omar as the counterpuncher. Plays develop quickly, and pressuring the QB is harder. We find we can pass-block without too many worries, we go downfield. That'll look more like the JMU game and less like the UR game. That all requires our OL to win more snaps than they lose, too.

As goes the LOS, so goes the game.

Frankly, I expect great similarities to the quarterfinals's and semifinals's for each team... like when SIU went 10 up on us or when UR tied ASU at 35... in each of these games, there was a point at which the game could have gone either way, but the winning team dug down and asserted itself, and beat their opponent the rest of the way.

Wouldn't surprise me to see this game work out that way, with a point being reached when either team can win it, and the team that wants it more digging in and getting it done.

Again, that'll happen on the LOS.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 14th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I think this game is a classic confrontation between two very different styles of play. App with a lightning-quick qb who is very dangerous in space along with a good RB against Delarare with a pro-type QB who is hard to sack because of his ability to move in the pocket and his height. I think this will be a high scoring game and I believe it will hinge on Delaware's ability to protect Flacco AND their receivers to catch the ball. In watching ASU I think they are very vulnerable thru the air. On the other side I really believe the ASU offense will have a field day against the Delaware D.

I'm pulling for the Hens (even though typing that almost makes me sick!) but I think ASU wins 41-31.

Do any of you think the press is more involved this year? I do, I really think there is some national excitement about this game!

cougarpines
December 14th, 2007, 07:26 AM
I think the ASU win over MU and the draft status of Flacco has brought much more attention to the game than in prior years. That is why I hope it is a good game.

Rob Iola
December 14th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I think the ASU win over MU and the draft status of Flacco has brought much more attention to the game than in prior years. That is why I hope it is a good game.

Plus the sudden Michigan interest in KC - adds that much more to the helmet-based irony...

Hmm, if we put shades on EJ do you think Michigan would take him off our hands by mistake?

boonegoon
December 14th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I really think that if App punts with a 3 score lead with under 2 minutes to go in the first half, I really don't believe that Richmond makes it that close. That being said, Richmond played fabulously during that stretch and showed why they were there. I do think that App is vulnerable to the pass, just watching them give up big pass plays all year and I think that Flacco and Co. can make that work. I think we will score often and fast, perhaps too fast. I see a great game coming and can't wait. Gook luck to both teams and here's to fans on either side not being jack@$$es.

zymergy
December 14th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I think it will come down to TOP, if our Hens can control the clock and keep ASU's offense on the bench it will wear down ASU's defense and keep their offense from getting into any rhythm.

After saying that...My only prediction is whoever has the ball last wins.

UCABEARS75
December 14th, 2007, 09:02 AM
From an outsiders perspective;

I have seen UD play tree times on television and was very impressed. They execute and play hard.

I have seen App St. once this year and of course in prior years and they are scary good when Edwards is healthy.

I believe the game will be close as UD will try to control clock and keep high powerd App. State offense off the field and I believe they will have some success moving the ball.

App. State may have the sexier offense but something just tells me UD will pull this one out.

As a fan of the FCS I really look forward to a great game and wish both teams and their fans the best of luck. You both have lots to be proud of with your incredible teams representing FCS on national television.

ASUG8
December 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I think it will come down to TOP, if our Hens can control the clock and keep ASU's offense on the bench it will wear down ASU's defense and keep their offense from getting into any rhythm.

After saying that...My only prediction is whoever has the ball last wins.

I agree with your last statement for sure. But looking at the JMU game where we had a defense on the field for :40 making the game winning play in the last minute, I think our D is pretty stubborn and will not give up no matter how long they're on the field. We score quickly usually, in that case putting up 28 pts. in 19 minutes. Either way it goes, I'm guessing shootout like all our other games. We'll give up at least 25 pts., but hopefully end up with ours on the high side of that. The matchup on paper looks great with two completely different styles of play.

mikebigg
December 14th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Hard to go against App State in the NC since they have won the last two and this year's team appears to be just as talented. However, Delaware has impressed me in the televised games that I saw (though didn't watch the full game in any of those contests). I am really impressed with Cuff's ability to execute in the ground game and Flacco has a big time arm...Still, Armanti Edwards is a playmaker and a big time playmaker at that. He's a threat from anywhere on the field.

I'm just gonna watch and enjoy the game... good luck to both of yalls!

HIU 93
December 14th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I'm not a fan of either school, but I think Edwards is going to run through UD's defense like a hot knife through butter.

Dixiedawg80
December 14th, 2007, 10:23 AM
To the first post on this Thread, Jerry Moore is one of the best in this business, he'll have our guys ready!

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I think this game will show that the old saying "defense wins championships" is always correct. The team that wins this one will be the one whose defense makes the one or two big stops/turnovers that keep their offense on top. I have no doubt this will be a shootout. xnodx

catbob
December 14th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Go Blue Hens! Yeeeaaaawww!

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2007, 11:48 AM
It's amazing how many new Delaware avatars there are these days.

xdizzyx

LacesOut
December 14th, 2007, 12:15 PM
At the beginning of the week, I was feeling that if UD pulled this one out, I would be surprised. Now? Not so much. Feeling better about this game for the Hens, for some reason.

Good luck to both teams and coaches. Hope both bring their best effort and execution.

Dixiedawg80
December 14th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Go Blue Hens! Yeeeaaaawww!

Do yall actually say that up there, wow!! I did not know this...

APPALACHIANstate
December 14th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Do yall actually say that up there, wow!! I did not know this...

Yeeeaww?

How about a simple ol' Yehaw!

UDChE89
December 14th, 2007, 01:45 PM
For all intents and purposes, half of Delaware's land mass is "southern". Once you get below the C&D Canal, it's much more like Virginia than it's like Pennsylvania.

furpal87
December 14th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Good luck to both teams, but I am rooting for our fellow Southern Conference team. The two most dominant leagues in FCS history face-off again!!! Bring home another one for the SoCon!!!

I-AA Fan
December 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM
If Delaware has the same first half as last week, this one will be over early. Not trying to sound negative, as I think the Saluki D is a bit stronger than App State's, and more accustomed to the Delaware style of ball. However, I just think that ASU can produce points too quickly for UD to fall back too far. Two pieces of advice for the Blue Hens, and it is easier said than done:

1. Conventional wisdom says to follow the pitch man, but with a read option, you cannot do that. Cover the QB & ignore the runner, he will not hurt you anywhere near as bad as Edwards feet. Give the back his points.

2. SMASH MOUTH offense, and the caps are intentional. Stick it to them & don't let up, they will break as they are not used to it.

I-AA Fan
December 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM
...The two most dominant leagues in FCS history face-off again!!! ...

I did not know that two GFC teams were playing each other this weekend. I thought it was SoCon vs CAA?

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I did not know that two GFC teams were playing each other this weekend. I thought it was SoCon vs CAA?
The GFC has yet to dominate anything in FCS. xrulesx

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2007, 04:48 PM
For all intents and purposes, half of Delaware's land mass is "southern". Once you get below the C&D Canal, it's much more like Virginia than it's like Pennsylvania.

lower slower Delaware

very rural

and after I left Delaware I realized that New Castle is rural as well:D