View Full Version : 2023 Youngstown State Post Evaluation

Paladin1aa
December 3rd, 2023, 01:22 PM
YSU made it back to the playoffs after the lingering effects of the Pelini disaster. They have improved each year since DP took over. Next year they will return most starters and would look to go farther both in MVFC and the playoffs. YSU is better than 90% of FCS but still is off of their Championship level of play. However -

Recruiting needs to step up. They have a solid class, the current RFR players who all redshirted , started to break into starting positions this year. YSU remains a young team but building to heavy seniority team , as Nova was this year, is one goal. Another is to sandwich the program around “super” recruits as the current RFR. Both classes either side of those are average and not heavy on real talent. They have to hit home runs each year, not singles.

Im hopeful the coaches will resist the heavy political influence to recruit the Valley, which is heavy in D-II and III talent but limited in D-I, both FBS and FCS. Far cry from what it used to be but population loss, sport specialization and development of talent elsewhere in the U.S. means the easy days of recruiting are long gone. Tressel knew he needed to recruit Florida, Georgia, California and Texas. Still do.

Number 1 is recruiting a QB or two. Brungard, despite being the legacy son of a former National Championship QB, isn’t the answer. Strong leg and weak arm was on display for all to see if you opened your eyes. We may have a QB of the future on the roster who might develope, but he is years away. With 4 of 5 OL starters returning, our dominant RB and a couple of RFR RBs behind him, a stable of decent WRs and TEs, it becomes a focus of attention to look for a portal/ transfer/Juco QB as well as a H.S. Player.

D needs a secondary but we lose only one LB and both starting safeties. The RFR class will help here. Older, bigger and stronger should help too. Our kickers are young and both have performed well..

Finally there the questions about the coaching staff many raise on the cheerleader board. The reality is the AD has sacrificed the money sports over his tenure, building superior facilities at the expense of personnel. You now have a bowling team, lacrosse and brought back swimming and diving. Sports expansion came with a heavy cost to the money sports over the years as their records revealed. The HCs are underpaid as well as their staffs. It is what it is and with steady declining enrollment, YSU will be under pressure for years to come financially. YSU chances of remaining on top were blown with the ADs selection of coaches, their contract extensions and the insane scheduling to appease the fat cats in the loges.

Bottom line, with 12 game schedules next year, most of the team returning experienced and bigger and stronger, the only critical piece missing is a QB. Solve that and YSU not only has a winner, but returns to playoffs again as they setup for future returns with much better personnel . Recruiting coming up quickly. We will see how they do.

The Yo Show
December 4th, 2023, 11:09 AM
I for one am very interested to see how the signing class is this year. If it is like the one from two years ago, I am going to be encouraged.

Dusty Kitten
December 4th, 2023, 11:14 AM
I had YSU beating Villanova - I didn't see the game but I am going to watch the highlight reel today

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2023, 12:53 PM
YSU should join the CAA

penguinpower
December 4th, 2023, 01:24 PM
YSU should join the CAA

I agree 💯%

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2023, 02:36 PM
I agree %

You could be the new Blueguins

SteelSD
December 4th, 2023, 03:24 PM
I agree %
Don't let the door hit you.

Paladin1aa
December 4th, 2023, 07:05 PM
Update -

Back to the drawing board. YSU just had 4 defensive players hit the portal. Three are starters and one is a back up. This is a major problem. Two of those, a LB and DE I could see being picked up by FBS schools.

Paladin1aa
December 4th, 2023, 09:16 PM
The LB in the portal has offers from Michigan St. and Liberty. Expect him to get more. Color him gone.

I see all three YSU starters all getting FBS offers now.

penguinpower
December 5th, 2023, 04:21 AM

The reason is the distance YSU fans have to travel to attend any game. The closest game is Indiana State and that drive is 6 .5 hours.

Villanova isn't the closest but it's a 5 hour drive. Towson is around 4.5 hours drive.

Richmond is essentially the same drive from Youngstown as Indiana State.

YSU can only drive to one game in the MVFC. All other travels are flights.

The Yo Show
December 5th, 2023, 07:04 AM

YSU won't leave for the CAA

ysubigred
December 5th, 2023, 09:09 AM
The reason is the distance YSU fans have to travel to attend any game. The closest game is Indiana State and that drive is 6 .5 hours.

Villanova isn't the closest but it's a 5 hour drive. Towson is around 4.5 hours drive.

Richmond is essentially the same drive from Youngstown as Indiana State.

YSU can only drive to one game in the MVFC. All other travels are flights.Dude, just stop.. Can't even get ****ed up flightless birds fans to attend home games, and ur yapping about fans driving to away games..

Carry on..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
December 5th, 2023, 06:50 PM
A promising year coming up is getting blown up by the portal.

ysubigred
December 5th, 2023, 07:27 PM
A promising year coming up is getting blown up by the portal.You never know.. the YSU defense was as porous as a sponge 23.. maybe the talent on the roster already or what can be obtained via the TP can be a good thing after last year. Next year, we'll find out fast what the flightless birds look like going back to Nova to open the season.

BeamMeUp
December 5th, 2023, 07:31 PM
You never know.. the YSU defense was as porous as a sponge 23.. maybe the talent on the roster already or what can be obtained via the TP can be a good thing after last year. Next year, we'll find out fast what the flightless birds look like going back to Nova to open the season.

Could the mass exodus on defense also signal a change to the defensive coaching staff? 25.4 ppg and 240.5 ypg given up in pass game won't get it done!

ysubigred
December 5th, 2023, 07:33 PM
Could the mass exodus on defense also signal a change to the defensive coaching staff? 25.4 ppg and 240.5 ypg given up in pass game won't get it done!This was my 1st thought.. either to run from or with.

Paladin1aa
December 6th, 2023, 10:22 AM
This is ridiculous. YSU has 10 D players in the portal. Based on who is in the portal, they move from returning a loaded team to rebuilding next year. Something is seriously wrong. You do not recover from a gutting like this right away, especially in the MVFC.

They have just moved from a winning season to a loser next year based on current personnel.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2023, 10:32 AM
This is ridiculous. YSU has 10 D players in the portal. Based on who is in the portal, they move from returning a loaded team to rebuilding next year. Something is seriously wrong. You do not recover from a gutting like this right away, especially in the MVFC.

They have just moved from a winning season to a loser next year based on current personnel.

No No No

The staff just needs to be Portal savvy and get to work, it’s just the way it is now

Delaware lost 9 players on D after last year, not all portal though

ysubigred
December 6th, 2023, 10:33 AM

They have just moved from a winning season to a loser next year based on current personnel.I'm calling bs.. the bitching and whining about the defense was deafening the last two years.. **** these traitors. I say don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Hopefully, some coaches also get on the train out of town. Wouldn't win **** next year with these jokers playing. Two years of the same guys on D, and they're exposed as lower level talent. With the exception of Howard, I'm wondering if this is a blessing in disguise..

Carry on..

ysubigred
December 6th, 2023, 10:40 AM
No No No

The staff just needs to be Portal savvy and get to work, it’s just the way it is now

Delaware lost 9 players on D after last year, not all portal thoughI agree.. there is no loyalty anymore in a student athlete.. I'd look at the rest of the team and pull the scholarships of dead wood.

TRANSFER Portal is the wave of the future.. like it or not, building a program from a recruit to senior is a pipe dream. The flightless birds will keep on the path of mediocrity with that philosophy.

Paladin1aa
December 6th, 2023, 02:37 PM
The early recruiting period is Dec. 20 to the 22nd this year. Roughly 80% of the recruiting will happen then. It will include players coming from the portal, early Juco transfers and the best of the H.S. Players. Late recruiting in Feb won’t deliver as good of athletes and not many of them. YSU is going to find out real quick if they can recover from this. My guess is they can’t.

For sure, if they end up with a bunch of local stars you can assuredly kiss away most of the schollies as wasted. YSU is losing All- MVFC DE Wudke and our stud LB who will start for an FBS program next year. There are other players of value, better than the current players on the roster who will weaken the team with their loss. I marvel at the clowns, especially on the cheerleader board but also here who think you don’t build a program with top heavy older players. Check out the playoff teams this year. That’s exactly how they got there. Nova, IIRC correctly played 19 Grad students and 13 seniors. If you gut those players reaching that level, you lose your ability to compete.

Worse, with a clown for an AD, if you don’t pay your staffs, what kind of competency do you expect you are buying ? On low salaries, of course you are not attracting competent staff. Duh !

I had hoped we were turning the corner, but it appears failure is on the horizon again. But by all means guys, act tough, spit out some bar room language while watching the slow motion destruction of a program who returns to not being able to find their own arse with either hand.

Paladin1aa
December 11th, 2023, 09:17 PM
With 6 starters ( Wudke, Howard, Lehrman, Trowers, Augustin, and Johnson ), 2 backups ( Blake, Treadwell) and our kickoff man and backup PK Medvec gone in the portal, YSU loses nearly all its D starters and some backups. The D is gutted. Recruiting has to center on D players as we have no one near to replace these players with on the roster now. The graduates makes it a clean sweep with 1 starter returning.

The question also has to be asked why so many players from the D are leaving ?

ysubigred
December 12th, 2023, 05:47 AM
With 6 starters ( Wudke, Howard, Lehrman, Trowers, Augustin, and Johnson ), 2 backups ( Blake, Treadwell) and our kickoff man and backup PK Medvec gone in the portal, YSU loses nearly all its D starters and some backups. The D is gutted. Recruiting has to center on D players as we have no one near to replace these players with on the roster now. The graduates makes it a clean sweep with 1 starter returning.

The question also has to be asked why so many players from the D are leaving ?

With the exception of Howard and Wudke, the others are leaving from pure embarrassment DII might want them.

I don't get you. Went from YSUs biggest critic to overly concerned fan LOL..

Keep up the good fight..

GooooooooGuins!

penguinpower
December 12th, 2023, 08:51 AM
With the exception of Howard and Wudke, the others are leaving from pure embarrassment DII might want them.

I don't get you. Went from YSUs biggest critic to overly concerned fan LOL..

Keep up the good fight..

GooooooooGuins!

I agree with Paladin. He's basically saying that Phillips is at a huge disadvantage because of the transfer portal, and the AD's bean counting that's bringing low coaching pay. The root cause of the loss of defensive personnel is more important than the loss of the player's themselves. Is it the coaching or is it that these players feel they can do better, or is Phillips planning on upgrading talent on defense via the portal?

ysubigred
December 12th, 2023, 09:09 AM
I agree with Paladin. He's basically saying that Phillips is at a huge disadvantage because of the transfer portal, and the AD's bean counting that's bringing low coaching pay. The root cause of the loss of defensive personnel is more important than the loss of the player's themselves. Is it the coaching or is it that these players feel they can do better, or is Phillips planning on upgrading talent on defense via the portal?

Oh, no doubt the coaches, especially on D, were lost. I called it from game one against the blind center. The portal is a new reality. Our two biggest losses are in the portal for potentially a better NFL look in their last year of eligibility. The rest may be running from coaches.. I see not much lost there, especially "IF" the flightless birds can score in the portal itself. I hear YSU is strapped for cash compared to most of the top FCS schools, so getting coaching upgrades is going to be difficult.

Paladin1aa
December 12th, 2023, 10:23 AM
I count 16 Seniors gone. The players in the portal probably gone. In addition, the monster RFR class of 24 has lost 8 players no longer here. The D will totally have to be rebuilt. Many of the seniors were backups so you lose two deep at several positions. While I had hoped for playoffs next year, that isn’t going to happen unless they bring in a huge number of transfers/ Jucos that are good. Very good. We will be young with little playing experience. We currently have no QB and yes, I read the insane rankings about BB. Enjoy that fantasy while you can but your bubble will soon pop.

Looking at next years schedule, we are in trouble. We lose Murray, an easy game. OOC we look to be 2-2. Projecting out on the MVFC schedule, given the weaknesses we will have next year, it’s not hard to project a 3-5 record leading to an overall of 5-7. No playoffs and probably not competitive in most games.

Phillips, other than the RFR class , has little to show for all his recruiting and I’m in the camp of those who see poor coaches, especially on D. If he loses more of the RFR class , by injury, transfer or another reason, that class will be decimated and unable to carry the program by itself.

This looks like one of my old predictions coming up after Heacock showed his incompetence. I predicted a losing season coming up followed by more as the program lacks overall talent under Heacock. History is repeating itself.

ysubigred
December 12th, 2023, 10:53 AM
WOW, YSU needs to drop football till they get their **** together.. reading the horse**** above the QB BB has no shot and shouldn't even get a chance to burst his own bubble.. he may end up being a piss poor player like McLaughlin that couldn't cut it at DI...

Comedy at its best [emoji108]

Paladin1aa
December 12th, 2023, 11:32 AM
WOW, YSU needs to drop football till they get their **** together.. reading the horse**** above the QB BB has no shot and shouldn't even get a chance to burst his own bubble.. he may end up being a piss poor player like McLaughlin that couldn't cut it at DI...

Comedy at its best [emoji10

Heres another joke for you - YSU is going to sign a QB in the portal who hasn’t played football for years. We have 3 returning QBs, including everyones favorite local hero BB. Former Ursuline QB Shannon took a baseball schollie to UCF where he failed, played little and batted .149. He didn’t have a lot of FB offers and thought he was Pro baseball material. Another local hero getting his comeuppance. That move tells me YSU is desperate to find a QB because they don’t have one. I expect them to bring in anotherQB as well. There was no need to bring in Shannon who has been out of football for years and had little in FB offers when he did play unless they desparate.

If you watched BB when he did play , his legs are far better than his arm. They held him to throwing short balls as his arm is weak and he is not accurate. He doesn’t read progression well. He doesn’t set for his throw but on the run which makes his throws erratic so footwork is weak. He thinks he is still playing against H.S. D-6 & 7 athletes vastly inferior than this level. A legacy recruit because of a National Championship father, he can’t wear his Dads jock. Todays O is also much different than his Dad ran.

I would have signed him as a 6’, 210 S, not a QB. But he is a local Valley hero and so becomes just another failed schollie players from the king of H.S. Ball in the Nation, the Valley. Just ask any of the clueless fans and they will tell you all about what they don’t know.

DRINK ! 🍺

ysubigred
December 12th, 2023, 12:55 PM
Heres another joke for you - YSU is going to sign a QB in the portal who hasn’t played football for years. We have 3 returning QBs, including everyones favorite local hero BB. Former Ursuline QB Shannon took a baseball schollie to UCF where he failed, played little and batted .149. He didn’t have a lot of FB offers and thought he was Pro baseball material. Another local hero getting his comeuppance. That move tells me YSU is desperate to find a QB because they don’t have one. I expect them to bring in anotherQB as well. There was no need to bring in Shannon who has been out of football for years and had little in FB offers when he did play unless they desparate.

If you watched BB when he did play , his legs are far better than his arm. They held him to throwing short balls as his arm is weak and he is not accurate. He doesn’t read progression well. He doesn’t set for his throw but on the run which makes his throws erratic so footwork is weak. He thinks he is still playing against H.S. D-6 & 7 athletes vastly inferior than this level. A legacy recruit because of a National Championship father, he can’t wear his Dads jock. Todays O is also much different than his Dad ran.

I would have signed him as a 6’, 210 S, not a QB. But he is a local Valley hero and so becomes just another failed schollie players from the king of H.S. Ball in the Nation, the Valley. Just ask any of the clueless fans and they will tell you all about what they don’t know.

DRINK ! [emoji481]BB is awesome and can do the job..

penguinpower
December 13th, 2023, 07:36 AM

DRINK ! 🍺

I agree with most everything you're saying. Regarding the QB, I think YSU did well with Davidson's development. I think they got the most out of him. He was a walk-on if I'm not mistaken. He wasn't going to singlehandedly win you games with his arm. He was inconsistent at times, but he didn't make too many mistakes and did a decent job managing the game.

I don't think BB is the answer. Pedigree means nothing to me when you don't have the physical tools to be compared. Nothing against BB but I wouldn't have him playing QB if I wanted to contend for championships. Not saying he's a bad kid. I hope to be proven wrong but I just don't see it.

BigRed is eluding to the possibility of gutting the defense to replace those players with better recruits. I don't actually think that's the case. I don't think Phillips operates that way. Marcus Hooker should have been a superstar at YSU with as many startsas he had at Ohio State. He had some big games, but didn't have consistent production. That's why I think the problem is not just the DL, but the coaches in defense. I get that players win you games, but they have to be in position, they have to have great technique, and then we lose containment on the ends on defense over and over, it seems to be a coaching problem to me. You can win a lot of games by playing sound football where you don't lose containment and you fit your run gaps etc, but when that's not happening, it doesn't mathow good your athletes are..... you're not going to get the job done on defense.

Paladin1aa
December 13th, 2023, 09:50 AM
YSU has offered an Iowa St LB that’s in the portal. Carston Marshall is 6’2, 225 and he is from Wadsworth. Chances are good we get him. Partial player at Iowa St, both years there, but injured.

You are correct PP. Davidson was a manger as a QB with limited skills but they kept him to plays that fell within his abilities. He was, indeed, a walk on. Since Tressel, YSU has failed big time at securing a talented QB with Kurt Hess being the best of a long line usual failures. Hess was decent and holds many YSU passing records.

YSU is currently struggling in recruiting. Unless things turn around quick, this year may be a bust.

Paladin1aa
December 13th, 2023, 12:21 PM
DL Anthony Johnson has an offer from SMU in the portal.

Paladin1aa
December 13th, 2023, 02:05 PM
DL Anthony Johnson has now added offers from Illinois, Michigan St. and Pitt in addition to SMU. Another major loss for YSU.

Paladin1aa
December 14th, 2023, 03:03 PM
YSU’s Augustin is transferring to USF , a FBS school , out of the portal.

Florida weather is better in the Fall than NE Ohio, lol

Paladin1aa
December 14th, 2023, 07:40 PM
Losing DB Augustin to South Florida, LB Howard to WVU or Mich St. and DL Johnson to Pitt or Mich St.

The Yo Show
December 14th, 2023, 07:47 PM
Paladin, you are negative on Brady Shannon then? He was getting recruiting offers from football in 2020 even until he stated very early on he wanted to focus on baseball so the recruiting stopped. YSU had tried to recruit him back in 2020, and he had offers from Akron and Kent as well at the time. Not saying he is going to be good, but curious why you are so down on him? His film is interesting. He has the right size and is athletic. I am not sure I would write him off so quickly.

Paladin1aa
December 14th, 2023, 08:20 PM
Paladin, you are negative on Brady Shannon then? He was getting recruiting offers from football in 2020 even until he stated very early on he wanted to focus on baseball so the recruiting stopped. YSU had tried to recruit him back in 2020, and he had offers from Akron and Kent as well at the time. Not saying he is going to be good, but curious why you are so down on him? His film is interesting. He has the right size and is athletic. I am not sure I would write him off so quickly.

Yo - he also had an offer from UMass. Offers were all from extremely weak FBS programs. I have serious questions on him. No doubt he was a strong runner. Really tough. But there are questions about his arm. I believe he was an outfielder in baseball and had a strong arm for that. But like many YSU QBs, he was erratic and accuracy was a concern. Not a true Pro style. He is a dual threat and today’s game is brutal on dual threats. Injured, missing games or affected with throwing arm injury from the pounding they take.

My opinion is he was a better FB player which surprised me he went baseball. But he failed at UCF, played very little, wasn’t that good for that level of play and batted .149. The question becomes what is his real desire to play FB ? Turned down full schollies. And, he hasn’t played FB for several years.

I also remember the Ursuline teams he played on had great receivers. He wasn’t a Great passer, but if he got it near them , they caught & turned it into lots of YAC. Stats are somewhat questionable then.

YSU has a questionable QB room now . Short ,local hero BB who has his flaws, a project from Pittsburgh and a kid who played at small school Arcanum until he transferred his last year to Springfield where he lead them into the state championship game. He might develope , but he is not ready now. And now Shannon. I see a weak position for next year unless they really get someone good coming in. But that’s the recent history of YSU - can’t recruit a really good one to save their arse.

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2023, 12:15 PM
YSU recruiting for 2024 is firing up. They have a commitment from Dallas McCracken, 6’4, 265 OL from United Local.

penguinpower
December 15th, 2023, 01:11 PM
YSU recruiting for 2024 is firing up. They have a commitment from Dallas McCracken, 6’4, 265 OL from United Local.

Good or bad?

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2023, 01:44 PM
Good or bad?

Havent seen film yet. United Local in Columbiana County is a D-6 school. He will be the first D-I recruit in the history of the school. First team All Ohio

BeamMeUp
December 16th, 2023, 06:32 AM
YSU commitment from D2 DL Transfer Joseph Loiseau from Gannon. From what I can gather, he chose YSU over offers from Kent State, Kennesaw State, Elon, Campbell, Eastern Michigan, Monmouth, UT Martin, Towson, Indiana State, Murray State, Robert Morris, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Maine, Albany, among others. Sorry I missed some. His Twitter lists more.

ysubigred
December 16th, 2023, 07:58 AM
YSU commitment from D2 DL Transfer Joseph Loiseau from Gannon. From what I can gather, he chose YSU over offers from Kent State, Kennesaw State, Elon, Campbell, Eastern Michigan, Monmouth, UT Martin, Towson, Indiana State, Murray State, Robert Morris, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Maine, Albany, among others. Sorry I missed some. His Twitter lists more.Wow, D2.. he'll get crushed in the MVFC.. like Jaleel LOL..

J.K. I'm a believer that YSUs D needed a shake-up.

Thanks, Beam, for the info.

Paladin1aa
December 16th, 2023, 08:19 AM
YSU commitment from D2 DL Transfer Joseph Loiseau from Gannon. From what I can gather, he chose YSU over offers from Kent State, Kennesaw State, Elon, Campbell, Eastern Michigan, Monmouth, UT Martin, Towson, Indiana State, Murray State, Robert Morris, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Maine, Albany, among others. Sorry I missed some. His Twitter lists more.

Beam - saw that kids Twitter account. 21 offers from FBS and FCS. Many from MVFC, CAA, Southland. Film shows one of the quickest and strongest NTs I’ve ever seen. Easy to see why he was All League. Easy to see why he had so many portal offers. Total domination. Unfortunately only one season left to play. 6’2, 279

Great pick up.

mainejeff
December 17th, 2023, 08:36 AM
What's the word on RB Antuan Gardner from Niles?

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2023, 10:20 AM
What's the word on RB Antuan Gardner from Niles?

Gardner, a 6’ ,205 RB was the Trumbull County Player of the Year, Big 22 Player of the Year(Ytown, Ohio & Pa.) and All Ohio. Set numerous Niles records , including 471 yds in a game and 6 TDs in that game. With a number of offers, I’m told that it may well come down to either Maine or YSU.

The Yo Show
December 17th, 2023, 12:04 PM
Gardner is listed as a 3 star RB on On 3. Not sure if that is accurate but he is a good player.

Who knows if my sources are accurate but I heard he leans YSU.

mainejeff
December 17th, 2023, 03:36 PM
Gardner is listed as a 3 star RB on On 3. Not sure if that is accurate but he is a good player.

Who knows if my sources are accurate but I heard he leans YSU.

Him being from Ohio…I would hope so. Not sure why Maine is actively recruiting that far into the Midwest other than there being a billion FCS programs in the Northeast now all recruiting the same players.

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2023, 04:16 PM
Him being from Ohio…I would hope so. Not sure why Maine is actively recruiting that far into the Midwest other than there being a billion FCS programs in the Northeast now all recruiting the same players.

Not really all that Midwest. The area sits on the Pa. Line, the Northeast. Area is heavily recruited by Northeast schools Colgate, Bobby Morris, St. Francis, Duquesne, Buffalo, Penn St., Pitt, the Ivies, Syracuse, CAA schools, Patriot schools, etc.

Im not sure what the lure is with Maine with the mosquitoes, moose and mud flats at ocean edge. 😁

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2023, 05:05 PM
LB Alex Howard just committed out of the portal to Texas A&M. YSU loses big time player.

mainejeff
December 17th, 2023, 05:16 PM
Not really all that Midwest. The area sits on the Pa. Line, the Northeast. Area is heavily recruited by Northeast schools Colgate, Bobby Morris, St. Francis, Duquesne, Buffalo, Penn St., Pitt, the Ivies, Syracuse, CAA schools, Patriot schools, etc.

Im not sure what the lure is with Maine with the mosquitoes, moose and mud flats at ocean edge. 

Seriously. I would think that the Rust Belt and smoke stacks are much more appealing.

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2023, 05:55 PM
Seriously. I would think that the Rust Belt and smoke stacks are much more appealing.

Hey, I like moose !

mainejeff
December 17th, 2023, 05:58 PM
Hey, I like moose !

And I like the Allegheny woodrat!

Paladin1aa
December 18th, 2023, 12:51 PM
YSU DB Blake has accepted an offer to Toledo.

That is now 4 players transferring up to FBS.

ysubigred
December 18th, 2023, 01:27 PM
YSU DB Blake has accepted an offer to Toledo.

That is now 4 players transferring up to FBS.AND?? Good for them to better their chances to be seen. Looking at their stats this year doesn't seem like as big a deal as your overly dramatic post might insinuate..

You ****ing guys would bitch no matter what the guins do. ****ing defense sucked ass don't see what the big deal is.. worst that could happen is they'll suck ass again next year.. make 8 years in a row [emoji57]

Paladin1aa
December 18th, 2023, 02:10 PM
AND?? Good for them to better their chances to be seen. Looking at their stats this year doesn't seem like as big a deal as your overly dramatic post might insinuate..

You ****ing guys would bitch no matter what the guins do. ****ing defense sucked ass don't see what the big deal is.. worst that could happen is they'll suck ass again next year.. make 8 years in a row [emoji57]

Thats rich. You do know that is now the 4th member of the YSU D that got grabbed up by 4 different FBS schools after they looked at film on the players, eyeballed them and decided to offer those terrible players ! Who also had offers from other major teams from other stupid coaches.

Keep on giving us your evaluations. There maybe a spot along side the Wolf at Alabama at a $million a year for your “ expertise”.

Carry on !

ysubigred
December 18th, 2023, 02:13 PM
Thats rich. You do know that is now the 4th member of the YSU D that got grabbed up by 4 different FBS schools after they looked at film on the players, eyeballed them and decided to offer those terrible players ! Who also had offers from other major teams from other stupid coaches.

Keep on giving us your evaluations. There maybe a spot along side the Wolf at Alabama at a $million a year for your “ expertise”.

Carry on !LOL.. you are rich. Why in the **** do you waste your time. Go help some of the team with your expert evaluations..

Carry on..

Paladin1aa
December 18th, 2023, 02:23 PM
LOL.. you are rich. Why in the **** do you waste your time. Go help some of the team with your expert evaluations..

Carry on..

I did. Scouted for the Alma mater at one time. Also helped the Wolf with recommendations that he signed. You got to see some of them in the Natty under Pelini.

Some how I don’t see your “expertise” carrying much weight with college coaches. Now after playing and coaching, there have been a few who thought I might know something.

Carry on.

ysubigred
December 18th, 2023, 02:48 PM
I did. Scouted for the Alma mater at one time. Also helped the Wolf with recommendations that he signed. You got to see some of them in the Natty under Pelini.

Some how I don’t see your “expertise” carrying much weight with college coaches. Now after playing and coaching, there have been a few who thought I might know something.

Carry on.I'm not trying to give any expert advice. I just played at a high level on defense.. Wolf sucked didn't win **** and 2016 wouldn't have happened without Bozo's add-ons he brought with him.

Bottom line: IDGAF about the portal losses.. I'm saying this isn't as dramatic as your drama fest is implying..

Carry on..

Paladin1aa
December 18th, 2023, 03:41 PM
BTW, I expect the signings starting on Dec 20 to be primarily portal transfers, Jucos and a limited number of H.S. Signees. NLOID in Feb will be mostly H.S. Then. There is also another portal around April 15 or 20th that probably brings in transfers who have completed the Spring game and see greener pastures elsewhere.

The Yo Show
December 18th, 2023, 07:58 PM
Paladin, based on your responses do you think our defensive woes were more scheme related (ie coaching) than personell?

Paladin1aa
December 18th, 2023, 08:07 PM
Paladin, based on your responses do you think our defensive woes were more scheme related (ie coaching) than personell?

YES

BeamMeUp
December 19th, 2023, 07:58 AM
Dathan Hickey, DB transfer from Yale, commits to YSU.

Paladin1aa
December 19th, 2023, 10:15 AM
Looks like we will get Devaughn Perkins, DL, 6’3, 295 from Indianapolis Cathedral H.S.

Also appears Antuan Gardner, RB/Athlete, 6’ ,205 from Niles McKinley H.S. will sign.

The Yo Show
December 19th, 2023, 06:43 PM
Yes Antuan Gardner is an official sign commit. The staff seems to be working their butts off doing recruiting. Still need a few pieces but things seem to be brightening up in my opinion

Paladin1aa
December 19th, 2023, 08:22 PM
YSU has a commitment from UT-Martin transfer TE Austin Bray. 6’6, 250 Played sparingly 2 years catching 3 passes for 33 yds and 1 TD. He was their starting TE. Hope he knows how to block. This one doesn’t make much sense.

Paladin1aa
December 20th, 2023, 10:29 AM
Interesting, YSU just offered 2 days ago a QB from Brecksville, making my predicted recruitment of 2 QBs this class. Colin Seibert is a 6’4, 190 QB.

Dont be surprised if we don’t recruit a third QB for next year on NLOID or the Spring portal transfer opening in April. You heard it here first.

Paladin1aa
December 20th, 2023, 10:54 AM
YSU loses its 5th D player to an FBS school. DE Dylan Wudke transferred yesterday to Univ. of Kansas. He was All MVFC.

Paladin1aa
December 20th, 2023, 01:39 PM
Early signing day is not going well. I’ll have comments later once the class is in place.

They have signings from-

Remy Bose, LB, 6’1, 210, Gateway H.S., Monroeville, Pa.
Stephen Henderson, LB, 6’3, 220, Shaker Hts,Ohio
Brendan Tabachnick, DE, 6’5, 250, North Royalton, Ohio

Paladin1aa
December 20th, 2023, 01:42 PM
YSU has signed QB Colin Seibert who they just offered 2 days ago, 6’4, 190. Brecksville,Ohio

Paladin1aa
December 20th, 2023, 01:48 PM
YSU has signed Gardner RB from Niles McKinley, McCracken from United Local, who they are now showing as a LB (?, lol) and Perkins DL from Cathedral in Indy.

Paladin1aa
December 20th, 2023, 01:53 PM
Red flags are popping up everywhere.

Paladin1aa
December 20th, 2023, 02:19 PM
YSU signed Brandon Chambers, 5’11, 181, S from Farrell,Pa.

Paladin1aa
December 20th, 2023, 02:40 PM
And now for the news - YSU signed 8 players in the early signing period. All H.S. Players. Not a one of the “committed” portal players signed. Zip ! NADA ! By far, FAR, the worst class Phillips has signed. And there is little good to say here. No Jucos. No transfers. If this is the class, YSU is in a world of hurt. Various collection of all league players, not All State. Little or no stars (mostly) in rating services. Film where available of ho hum performance. In short, mostly projects in need of serious work . Some notes-

Gardner not 6’, 205. Closer to 5’10, maybe 190. Blue collar North/South runner. We have much better RBs on roster.
Perkins short ,fat, slow , needs weight room work, limited motor
McCracken played small school football, first D-I athlete in history of school but may bulk up to play here. Weight room. Coach was D.J. Ogilbeefrom Boardman . Coach claims he has good feet. No stars, no film.
Chambers, late signing, good athlete but more involved as a RB, not a S.
All need serious work and no guarantee any will contribute heavily.

When the portal transfers failed to sign and there were some very good ones there, things started to fall apart. Red flags popped up with most of the H.S. Players.

Problems for next year remain in serious need of a QB AND a completely rebuilt D which looks shakey at this point. NLOID and another short portal signing period in April. They still need serious help. Class grade D-.

ysubigred
December 20th, 2023, 04:09 PM
Oh, noooo.. YSU is going to suck and no one will come to the ice castle and watch em' play..

Ummm.. that's what's been happening, LOL..

CAN'T PAY THE KIDS BEST YOU CAN HOPE FOR IS MEDIOCRITY... portal guy doesn't show up in new signees. YSU can't afford them all xblahx

GooooooooGuins!

The Yo Show
December 20th, 2023, 10:07 PM
And now for the news - YSU signed 8 players in the early signing period. All H.S. Players. Not a one of the “committed” portal players signed. Zip ! NADA ! By far, FAR, the worst class Phillips has signed. And there is little good to say here. No Jucos. No transfers. If this is the class, YSU is in a world of hurt. Various collection of all league players, not All State. Little or no stars (mostly) in rating services. Film where available of ho hum performance. In short, mostly projects in need of serious work . Some notes-

Gardner not 6’, 205. Closer to 5’10, maybe 190. Blue collar North/South runner. We have much better RBs on roster.
Perkins short ,fat, slow , needs weight room work, limited motor
McCracken played small school football, first D-I athlete in history of school but may bulk up to play here. Weight room. Coach was D.J. Ogilbeefrom Boardman . Coach claims he has good feet. No stars, no film.
Chambers, late signing, good athlete but more involved as a RB, not a S.
All need serious work and no guarantee any will contribute heavily.

When the portal transfers failed to sign and there were some very good ones there, things started to fall apart. Red flags popped up with most of the H.S. Players.

Problems for next year remain in serious need of a QB AND a completely rebuilt D which looks shakey at this point. NLOID and another short portal signing period in April. They still need serious help. Class grade D-.

Uhhh transfers don't sign? Only people that sign are students going to D1 school for the first time or transferring from a two year college to a 4 year college.

The transfer portal commits don't sign based on that rule (with limited exception D2 to D1, or two year to 4 year).

Now not all the offered transfer portal players committed but yeah that happens.

The players that did commit are:

Dathan Hickey - DB - Yale -,
Joseph Loiseau - DL - Gannon,
Brady Shannon - QB - Central Florida (Baseball),
Austin Bray - TE - UT Martin,
Jace Tutty - DB - Penn State

ysubigred
December 21st, 2023, 07:00 AM
Uhhh transfers don't sign? Only people that sign are students going to D1 school for the first time or transferring from a two year college to a 4 year college.

The transfer portal commits don't sign based on that rule (with limited exception D2 to D1, or two year to 4 year).

Now not all the offered transfer portal players committed but yeah that happens.

Jace Tutty - DB - Penn StateYup

Even a 3rd grader knew that ^^

More to believe that the resident expert is FOS.. and the minions follow him, LOL..

Paladin1aa
December 21st, 2023, 07:36 AM

Jace Tutty - DB - Penn State

Fair enough, Yo. But you would have thought they would have made the announcement that the commitment was completed, part of the incoming class. Typically done with Incoming Jucos and regular transfers. But let’s say they are IN HOUSE-

Tutty was a walk-in at Penn St. Never played a snap. Some film on him from Spring game shows aggression and maybe coverage skills.
Bray played 2 years, at least started the last game but played both years with 3 catches,33 yds and 1 TD
Shannon I already covered. That’s why they brought in a second QB and may bring in a third.
Loiseau is pure gold . The class headliner. He will play and play well.
Hickey no film and not much data. Don’t know what we have here,but one year left.

Does that compensate for the otherwise weak class ? As I view it, not by much except for Loiseau. Overall it’s weak effort by the staff and does little to support the monster RFR class which continues to lose players year by year.

So you got my 2 cents. Like all my predictions, I’m out in the open for all to see and my record over years is there for all to see. Feel free to grade my work over the years.

ysubigred
December 21st, 2023, 09:40 AM
Bottom line on this thread: After sitting with a bunch of parents in Philadelphia and hearing their comments (some of which kids are xfer portal move-ons), I'm a bit more cognizant of what is posted on these boards. Believe it or not, players, friends, and parents read them.

These 8 kids are already a D- without playing a down in college. The reality is that YSU can only get what they can being a mid pack MVFC team with limited funding. Compared to other equal FCS schools, we're probably not as bad as most.

I never played a down in college but had an opportunity higher.. ~ 100 showed up for the 2 day tryout.. only 22 of us made it. Many made the trek for the U.S. with college and NFL experience. Football is about IQ, heart, and will. Size and speed can be improved upon, especially as 17-20 YO kids..

Who in the hell would want to come play in a place like Ytown with ****ed up fans constantly blasting away at recruits..

Paladin1aa
December 21st, 2023, 09:46 AM
BTW, if you want to know what’s going on in the MVFC! I encourage everyone to read about our competitions recruits. So far I have read NDSU, Illinois St and Southern Illinois press releases, including their transfers. Eye opening. Compare that to YSU. And I’ll get around to reading all of the MVFC schools. Do some homework. Then make your own conclusions.

ysubigred
December 21st, 2023, 10:09 AM
BTW, if you want to know what’s going on in the MVFC! I encourage everyone to read about our competitions recruits. So far I have read NDSU, Illinois St and Southern Illinois press releases, including their transfers. Eye opening. Compare that to YSU. And I’ll get around to reading all of the MVFC schools. Do some homework. Then make your own conclusions.Same **** different year..flightless birds tend to take care of SIU and IlSt most years.. NDSU SHOULD BE BCS..

Ur point?

**My point is that these paper tigers at equal universities are either underachieving or recruiting is overrated..

*** YSU PR is incompetent and doesn't market the program well. A presser would have been nice to hype up early recruiting, but who would listen..

Carry on xsalutex

Paladin1aa
December 21st, 2023, 11:24 AM
Members of the MVFC teams announced their early signing classes, including their portal signings. Very impressive and include lots of All State players , & Mr. Football from several states and transfers with meaningful playing time at other colleges. My rough estimate is SDSU had the best class followed by NDSU. South & North Dakota did very well. UNI may be the sleeper. Their class was top notch. ISUr and SIU were o.k. Most, ISUb and Murray I was not overly impressed with, along with YSU. But, hey, read them for yourself.

Safe to say what I read, much of the MVFC will remain leaders in FCS for years to come. Excellent recruiting.

ysubigred
December 21st, 2023, 11:44 AM
All good to know. The FCS is a POS league. Lost its luster with the NIL and xfer portal. All teams in the MVFC are mediocre at best with the exception of NDSU and SDSU. SDSU and NDSU should be gone to FBS and NDSU should have left years ago.

Until there is some sort of realignment FCS will continue to decline in interest. YSU is a victim of its own making due to an economical and geographical situation. Best the flightless birds can hope for is mediocracy and some players that are diamonds in the rough or seriously missed recruits that show up.

GooooooGuins!

Paladin1aa
December 21st, 2023, 12:00 PM
Since we open with Villanova, I checked out their signings. Theirs also include film on each player. Don’t miss the QB from California. Eye opening. Needless to say, they have an excellent class.

BeamMeUp
December 21st, 2023, 07:40 PM
YSU Football Twitter had highlights of the signees? Far too early to be labeling this class a D- without knowing the full load of transfers from the portal that eventually enroll come January. With the graduates plus transfers, Phillips has more scholarships to fill. From what I am hearing, there will be more to come in the coming weeks.

Nova needed a big class as they were poised to graduate something like 16 starters (they were damn good may I add) based on what they were saying on ESPN. They will be the new face of the CAA.

Paladin1aa
December 21st, 2023, 09:07 PM
I found , among others, a real quandary from the transfer portal. YSU had offered Eddie Robinson , RB , from Duquesne when he was in the portal , and he is from Maple Hts. H.S. He was part of the announced class at Southern Illinois that signed. They also signed Murray St. starting QB DJ Walker and their best LB who was also in the portal. Seems several MVFC teams went out of their way to recruit out of the portal starters from other teams rather than stretches or projects. Simply smarter recruiting.

Beam , I hope you are right. They have lost a lot of ground both in portal losses , graduations and failures in early recruiting. We will keep our eyes open to see if they improve their results or if they continue to struggle.

BeamMeUp
January 16th, 2024, 07:59 PM
YSU Football Twitter had highlights of the signees? Far too early to be labeling this class a D- without knowing the full load of transfers from the portal that eventually enroll come January. With the graduates plus transfers, Phillips has more scholarships to fill. From what I am hearing, there will be more to come in the coming weeks.

Nova needed a big class as they were poised to graduate something like 16 starters (they were damn good may I add) based on what they were saying on ESPN. They will be the new face of the CAA.

As I predicted, Youngstown State announced their mid-year transfers today which included 14 transfers. Here is the link (https://ysusports.com/news/2024/1/16/football-penguins-bolster-roster-with-14-additions.aspx).

Of the 14 transfers, 10 were from FBS schools, 2 from FCS schools, and 2 from D2 schools. 7 were on defense and 7 were on offense. I won't go through each individually, but 5 of them were three-star recruits coming out of HS.

Now we look forward to spring ball in a couple months!

GO YSU. BEAM ME UP.

ysubigred
January 17th, 2024, 09:42 AM
As I predicted, Youngstown State announced their mid-year transfers today which included 14 transfers. Here is the link (https://ysusports.com/news/2024/1/16/football-penguins-bolster-roster-with-14-additions.aspx).

Of the 14 transfers, 10 were from FBS schools, 2 from FCS schools, and 2 from D2 schools. 7 were on defense and 7 were on offense. I won't go through each individually, but 5 of them were three-star recruits coming out of HS.

GO YSU. BEAM ME UP.

Thanks Beam.. You never know what you got till they play the game. Two things stand out to me is.. Linebacker, and QB position was already OK for the standards of the coaching staff since they didn't land more than one each in the xfer portal. What was weird was how many wide receivers, this was IMO the most solid position coming back at YSU?!?!

We'll see. Playoffs or bust x406x

Paladin1aa
January 17th, 2024, 10:52 AM

GO YSU. BEAM ME UP.

Thanks for the info Beam. Busy researching the haul but it’s disappointing. First, the best player by my assessment in the December announcement isn’t here. Joe Loiseau , NT from Gannon is nowhere to be found. He was announced earlier, didn’t sign then and not here now either. Some new names and most are stretches. In a nutshell, the recruiting sucks ! What’s with all the unneeded WRs ? We need D players badly. A legitimate QB too. The RBs are another puzzler and they aren’t that great. Fits with my earlier grade of D-. These guys can’t recruit to save their arse. They actually recruited Bukur, a player from Marian, an NAIA school. To compete in the MVFC ? Not FCS, not D-II or D-III. NAI freaking A. Let that sink in.

NLOID coming up early in Feb. Another laugher on the way. What a god damn shame.

BTW, reading the announcements , they couldn’t even get correct info out about where they were from, who they played for, etc. Just more incompetent drivel from the AD office run by a clown.

ysubigred
January 17th, 2024, 03:38 PM
3 FL and 1 GA kid.. right there should tell you they are great [emoji106]

Goooo..Guins

BeamMeUp
January 27th, 2024, 03:09 PM
YSU Defensive Coordinator Jahmal Brown is leaving to take the same position at Mercer (SoCon) where he will be with a former coach he was with in the D2 ranks. Hopefully DP can find the right guy to take charge of our defense for the 2024 season.

BEAMMEUP

Paladin1aa
January 27th, 2024, 04:41 PM
Word is he will have Haneline, already on staff ,take over. However he was effectively the co-coordinator last year and also had a Bowling Green background. Not sure much changes. We’ll see.

There is a big plus here. Haneline was a star at St. Ignaciaus in Cleveland and could be a recruiting weapon. 4 year letterman at BG. The D needs to be much more simple and more aggressive. It was neither last year. Good run D but failure in pass game despite good personnel.

BeamMeUp
February 5th, 2024, 07:17 PM
Late commit to 2024 class. Solomon Farrell, an ATH out of Cincinnati, committed to YSU today.

His recruiting profiles show he is a 3-star recruit that had some solid offers: Indiana, Louisville, West Virginia, Marshall, just to name a few.

https://247sports.com/player/solomon-farrell-46140294/
https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/solomon-farrell-303978?view=pv

Paladin1aa
February 7th, 2024, 04:51 PM
YSU added 6 H.S. Players today on NLOID. Good size but at positions not deemed needed. Nothing stands out with the group. One final push coming in April with another short opening in the transfer portal. Not sure how many schollies they have left to offer. Phillips is not showing recruiting skills. Hold that thought. It will be coming up as the 2024 season progresses.