PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Quarterfinal: #5 Albany @ #4 Idaho

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2023, 12:13 AM
Game kicks off Saturday 12/9 at 7PM PT and will be streaming on ESPN+. Winner moves on to face the winner of #8 Villanova and #1 South Dakota State.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53371744602_bb029ddfc1_o.jpg

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2023, 12:58 AM
I don't know anything about Albany but I think Idaho was a bit overseeded - UI and Montana State should have had each others seeds

CrunchGriz
December 3rd, 2023, 02:51 AM
I don't know anything about Albany but I think Idaho was a bit overseeded - UI and Montana State should have had each others seeds

Well, Idaho did have the head-to-head against MSU.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2023, 07:12 AM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1731296899087438298

EDIT: It appears Dom goofed the time by an hour (or maybe just goofed the time zone) but it's a 7PM PT/10PM ET kick on Saturday 12/9 according to Idaho's website.

KPSUL
December 3rd, 2023, 08:07 AM
On a neutral field I'd take Albany by 14. In the Kibbe Barn - Albany eecks out a winning score in regulation if Greg Gattuso can stay awake 3 hours past his bedtime.

NY Crusader 2010
December 3rd, 2023, 09:29 AM
A game that I wish both teams could win. As a NY state resident, I have to say I'm on the Great Danes' bandwagon so have to side with them. However, Idaho making a run to Frisco in the wake of last year's off campus tragedy and after having made a triumphant return to the FCS ranks, is something I could also get behind.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2023, 10:16 AM
On a neutral field I'd take Albany by 14. In the Kibbe Barn - Albany eecks out a winning score in regulation if Greg Gattuso can stay awake 3 hours past his bedtime.

haha

Idaho overrated of course

Albany underrated

Albany is better but not sure they can escape that Hanger with a win even though they have the better QB

Ivytalk
December 3rd, 2023, 03:29 PM
Idaho ekes out a close one at home.

Dane96
December 3rd, 2023, 04:26 PM
haha

Idaho overrated of course

Albany underrated

Albany is better but not sure they can escape that Hanger with a win even though they have the better QB

This. A road game is a road game...and this is a FAR road game. Albany is the favorite anywhere not named Moscow, ID.

Aside from the fact they effed themselves, SIU effed Albany LOL. But seriously, some of the worst end of game management I've ever witnessed, considering how well SIU's D was playing and the fact their kicking game is ****.

Dusty Kitten
December 3rd, 2023, 05:07 PM
Its impossible to get a feel for this game, Idaho is an inconsistent team, they've got insane talent but I think they have coaching issues sometimes.
Against Montana they refused to change their defensive scheme until it was too late - they have this "we will impose our will" type of attitude, which is totally fine but you also have to scheme it up correctly.

In a very hard fought defensive game they were in the wrong defense until halfway through the 3rd quarter, by then it was too late ...

If Idaho will not adjust and instead goes with "we will impose our will, even in the wrong scheme" they will lose against Albany

GRIZ1948
December 3rd, 2023, 06:07 PM
Idaho will be ready for Albany in Moscow and I think they win. Over rated--who did Albany beat in FBS this year? How many ranked teams did they beat?

- - - Updated - - -

Idaho learned their lesson after the Montana game and beat MSU

NY Crusader 2010
December 3rd, 2023, 07:15 PM
Idaho will be ready for Albany in Moscow and I think they win. Over rated--who did Albany beat in FBS this year? How many ranked teams did they beat?

- - - Updated - - -

Idaho learned their lesson after the Montana game and beat MSU

Albany played two FBS teams, both close losses @ Marshall and @ Hawaii.

Biggest wins are Villanova, who they beat by 3 TDs, and CAA co-champ Richmond, who they beat by 4 TDs. Danes are for real.

clickclack
December 3rd, 2023, 07:30 PM
They didn't just beat teams....two of whom were in the tournament, they destroyed them.

I don't know anything about Idaho but did watch their game last night. They looked like absolute ass. Sure, I'm aware of their record and I'm sure they are better then what I saw but last night was rough. If they roll out of bed thinking they are gonna roll....they will get humbled. Sleep on Albany at your own risk.

Pards Rule
December 4th, 2023, 07:58 AM
Just so please we have two NEW teams in playoffs here

JacksFan40
December 4th, 2023, 09:25 AM
They didn't just beat teams....two of whom were in the tournament, they destroyed them.

I don't know anything about Idaho but did watch their game last night. They looked like absolute ass. Sure, I'm aware of their record and I'm sure they are better then what I saw but last night was rough. If they roll out of bed thinking they are gonna roll....they will get humbled. Sleep on Albany at your own risk.
Idaho is inconsistent as hell. When they are on they can beat nearly anyone in FCS, when they are not on they are horrible, look at the Northern Colorado game. I am picking Albany solely because I think they are more consistent.

WestCoastAggie
December 4th, 2023, 10:15 AM
While I think Albany's front-7 and QB are really, really good, I just don't know if they can handle playing a game at 10 pm their local time in that dome.

POD Knows
December 4th, 2023, 11:04 AM
Albany is gonna roll these guys. 34-17.

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2023, 11:16 AM
While I think Albany's front-7 and QB are really, really good, I just don't know if they can handle playing a game at 10 pm their local time in that dome.

It looks like their game @Hawaii started at 11pm eastern time so they have a little experience handling a super late late kickoff.

Dusty Kitten
December 4th, 2023, 11:17 AM

That would not surprise me, but if the "good" Idaho team shows up, this will be a hell of a game

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2023, 11:27 AM

Well

I was just getting ready to say Albany would roll them at home, but in that dome things will definitely get weird and I can already see those camera hungry refs filling the place with yellow rain

MRuler
December 4th, 2023, 11:48 AM
That would not surprise me, but if the "good" Idaho team shows up, this will be a hell of a game

I agree with this. I do believe this game will be like a boxing match as both teams who are unfamiliar with each other begin to size one another up in the early going. I watched Idaho vs SIU and was disappointed with both teams. I expected more from both teams. I always expect more from Big Sky teams as we haven't had much success against teams out west. Then again this may be the best team Albany has ever fielded. Our D again will be key against their QB. I believe this will be a closer than normal win for Albany.

wapiti
December 4th, 2023, 12:05 PM
I predict a close match that could go either way, but home field advantage takes the W.

dbackjon
December 4th, 2023, 12:11 PM
Idaho in a close one

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2023, 12:55 PM
If you like Albany in this one there's money to be made as 5dimes has Idaho as a 6.5 point favorite.

https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php

uofmman1122
December 4th, 2023, 01:02 PM
Games like this are why I love the playoffs. Having seen Idaho, when they're on on offense they can blitz any team, but they've been horribly inconsistent.

Haven't watched Albany at all. Really excited to see how this one shakes out.

Dane96
December 4th, 2023, 01:27 PM
It looks like their game @Hawaii started at 11pm eastern time so they have a little experience handling a super late late kickoff.

Actually, it started at midnight. Crazy.

I am less worried about the time...I fly to SLC twice a month from Boston...it's not an issue...and the kids won't have an issue, adrenaline will kick in.

I, like others have stated, believe Idaho has A) Some of the best players in the FCS; B) some of the most confounding coaching calls in the FCS; C) Has the kibbie dome; and D) is inconsistent as heck. If B and D are on, combining with C...then the fact that they have some insane talent will be very troubling for Albany.

KPSUL
December 4th, 2023, 01:35 PM
If you like Albany in this one there's money to be made as 5dimes has Idaho as a 6.5 point favorite.

https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php

Trying to push the spread down before you make your Idaho wager?

Houndawg
December 4th, 2023, 01:41 PM
Games like this are why I love the playoffs. Having seen Idaho, when they're on on offense they can blitz any team, but they've been horribly inconsistent.

Haven't watched Albany at all. Really excited to see how this one shakes out.

I couldn't tell which two were supposed to be the world-beaters I'd been hearing about

Houndawg
December 4th, 2023, 01:45 PM
Actually, it started at midnight. Crazy.

I am less worried about the time...I fly to SLC twice a month from Boston...it's not an issue...and the kids won't have an issue, adrenaline will kick in.

I, like others have stated, believe Idaho has A) Some of the best players in the FCS; B) some of the most confounding coaching calls in the FCS; C) Has the kibbie dome; and D) is inconsistent as heck. If B and D are on, combining with C...then the fact that they have some insane talent will be very troubling for Albany.

They are a very good team but I wouldn't call their talent insane, unless I would call our talent insane too, and I wouldn't do that. Get some bad weather and your probability goes up - you play on grass or turf?

clickclack
December 4th, 2023, 02:21 PM

I keep seeing this and I can't believe people keep spouting this nonsense. These are kids, hopped up on adrenaline, most of who guarantee you don't go to bed till 2am anyway. Albany may gets it ass handed to them but it won't be because they flew to Idaho. I'm sure they will be there several days before the game...it's 3 hour adjustment, not 15 hours.

Silly comments.

I think a bigger factor will be youth and experience...from reading Idaho board, they are very very young. I've seen comments here people saying they are inconsistent, I'm sure experience and modulating one's emotions have something to do with that. How will Idaho respond to the hype, will they stay calm cool and collected? To me that's a bigger factor then what time the game is played.

clickclack
December 4th, 2023, 02:27 PM
They are a very good team but I wouldn't call their talent insane, unless I would call our talent insane too, and I wouldn't do that. Get some bad weather and your probability goes up - you play on grass or turf?

Albany plays on turf

POD Knows
December 4th, 2023, 06:44 PM
That would not surprise me, but if the "good" Idaho team shows up, this will be a hell of a gameI hadn't seen a single minute of an Albany game this year until I caught some of the playoff game this year. They looked good against Richmond but Richmond isn't Idaho. Albany, to me, seems more physical on defense but it is hard to tell. The fact that a pretty average SIU team pushed Idaho around for most of that game doesn't really bode well for them.

Grizzlies82
December 8th, 2023, 02:33 PM
This disappeared onto the next page. Time to bump it back into the mix

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2023, 04:14 PM
For some reason I think Albany rolls into Moscow and wins by two possessions. This Danes team has flown under the radar all season. They can leave a big mark in Idaho..

Grizzlies82
December 8th, 2023, 05:49 PM
For some reason I think Albany rolls into Moscow and wins by two possessions. This Danes team has flown under the radar all season. They can leave a big mark in Idaho..

I tend to agree. Albany looks legit.

For whatever reason Idaho appears like a completely different team starting with their Weber State loss. I can only guess their QB McCoy just isn't completely healthy, and he has been the spark plug for them. Unless they snap out of whatever funk they're in they will get smoked by Albany.

Houndawg
December 9th, 2023, 07:33 AM
I tend to agree. Albany looks legit.

For whatever reason Idaho appears like a completely different team starting with their Weber State loss. I can only guess their QB McCoy just isn't completely healthy, and he has been the spark plug for them. Unless they snap out of whatever funk they're in they will get smoked by Albany.

He has to be injured - he was nowhere near as advertised here "...plays the position as well as anybody ever has at this level...". He isn't Joe Flacco

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2023, 08:45 AM
He has to be injured - he was nowhere near as advertised here "...plays the position as well as anybody ever has at this level...". He isn't Joe Flacco

could it be the Big Sky isn’t as high as it’s cracked up to be

Idaho got beat by Southeastern Louisiana last year and your Dogs looked like the better team to me

But all bets are off as nobody knows what will happen when Big Sky meets CAA

Houndawg
December 9th, 2023, 09:50 AM
could it be the Big Sky isn’t as high as it’s cracked up to be

Idaho got beat by Southeastern Louisiana last year and your Dogs looked like the better team to me

But all bets are off as nobody knows what will happen when Big Sky meets CAA

that could be, two top 4 seeded teams that got beat by/lucky to beat AQs, one of them the last one in. Or it could be that the MVFC is as advertised this year.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 05:14 PM
Dates/start times/broadcast information for the semifinal games has been set:

*Albany/Idaho winner at South Dakota State - Friday 12/15, 7:00 PM ET (6:00 PM CT), ESPN
*North Dakota State at Montana - Saturday 12/16, 4:30 PM ET (2:30 PM MT), ESPN2

I'd guess both games will also be streamed on ESPN+, though I haven't seen anything yet confirming that.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 09:08 PM
Albany defense steps up early!

SeattleCat
December 9th, 2023, 09:09 PM
Idaho fans cheering their own fg miss? bless their hearts, I guess they're new at this.

Dusty Kitten
December 9th, 2023, 09:17 PM
That was a nice pass - 7-0 Idaho

Dusty Kitten
December 9th, 2023, 09:22 PM
Feffenhoffer threw a beauty deep too 7-7

Dusty Kitten
December 9th, 2023, 09:23 PM
Fepherneuse / Poffenheffer / Pheffenhoose

Dusty Kitten
December 9th, 2023, 09:27 PM
Ah, Poffenbarger

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, Poffenbarger

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 09:32 PM
I don't think it ever touched him. Special teams continue to be exciting!

Dusty Kitten
December 9th, 2023, 09:48 PM
Usually you get dingbat Idaho or world-beater Idaho, tonight we're getting a delightful mixture of both Dingbat and world-beater

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 09:56 PM
Poff can absolutely sling it. Can drop his arm angles like a pro. Has a little Matt Stafford in him. Not the most athletic guy...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 10:02 PM
Idaho with another big special teams play....

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2023, 10:03 PM
Poff can absolutely sling it. Can drop his arm angles like a pro. Has a little Matt Stafford in him. Not the most athletic guy...

yep just let him throw it and ditch the run

Dusty Kitten
December 9th, 2023, 10:03 PM
Two unsportsmanlike on Dingbat Idaho so far (after a world-beater 73 yard punt return)

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 10:04 PM
TD Idaho! I'm impressed! They look like the more physical team so far which surprises me....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 10:06 PM
Two unsportsmanlike on Dingbat Idaho so far (after a world-beater 73 yard punt return)

They definitely play "fast and loose"! Wear the Vandals moniker well...

Dusty Kitten
December 9th, 2023, 10:08 PM
This is a completely new version of Idaho in this game
They are doing all the dumb things that Dingbat Idaho does and all the amazing things that World-beater Idaho does
and sometimes they are doing both dingbat and world-beater on the same play

Highly unusual

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2023, 10:16 PM
That’s Puff the magic DragonBarger we know

Chalupa Batman
December 9th, 2023, 10:25 PM
I love aggressiveness in coaches, but Eck gets way too aggressive way too often.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 10:25 PM
That’s Puff the magic DragonBarger we know

Just threw a fireball on 4th and 2...

With that said, if you can't run at least a little bit you can't beat SDSU....

Chalupa Batman
December 9th, 2023, 10:32 PM

That was a hell of a catch on that 4th down play.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 10:43 PM
Idaho 16 Albany 14 Half

These two teams appear to be very evenly matched. Mistakes and the "little things" are going to decide this one...

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2023, 10:59 PM
Idaho 16 Albany 14 Half

These two teams appear to be very evenly matched. Mistakes and the "little things" are going to decide this one...

another long return will doom Albany I’m thinking

nobody can run the ball

KPSUL
December 9th, 2023, 11:02 PM

Albany should use Adel more at RB. Woodell is a little over-rated IMHO.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 11:04 PM
Spent reading about the Kibbie Dome and Neale Stadium which proceeded it. This led into a warm hole about an unsolved arson case involving Neal Stadium and Rogers Field at nearby Washington State during the Vietnam War. Interesting stuff.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 11:12 PM
When you can't run it's hard to execute passing the ball down after down. Especially as the field shrinks. This reminds me of a 1990s WAC game without all the points...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 11:19 PM
Costly fumble by Albany!

UNHWildcat18
December 9th, 2023, 11:21 PM
28 for Albany is injured and hobbling after every play, plus the fumble. Time for Greg Gargantuan to think about putting in his backup

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 11:27 PM
Idaho gets to a first and goal but has to settle for a FG

Vandals 19-14

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 11:44 PM
The last two Albany drives have been ugly. Since the fumble on a nice run they've done nothing....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 11:54 PM
Big offensive series coming up for the Danes. Very good field position after a shanked punt...

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 12:00 AM

I’ll remember this

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2023, 12:00 AM
...and when Albany does run it's usually wide with #28. I don't get it...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2023, 12:02 AM
The first two plays of this goal line series have been a disaster for Albany...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2023, 12:06 AM
Danes settle for a FG...

Idaho 19-17 11:32 4Q

It's so hard to score TDs as the field shrinks when you can't run....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2023, 12:11 AM
3rd and 3 and Idaho attempts a nearly impossible corner fade of some sort? Albany will get the ball back...

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2023, 12:13 AM
McCoy is playing like doo doo.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2023, 12:13 AM
Poff!! He missed an easy TD! Wow!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2023, 12:17 AM
Albany running between the tackles and having success...

- - - Updated - - -

Sneak it!

- - - Updated - - -

Sneak it!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2023, 12:20 AM
TD Albany! Really nice drive! Finally had some balance...

UNHWildcat18
TD Albany! Great TD pass. That being said holy crap get 28 off the field, he’s so ****ing hurt. He’s also slow as ****.

POD Knows
It is like a bunch of kids playing in the back yard throwing balls up for grabs.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2023, 12:21 AM
JFC. Nice two point conversion.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2023, 12:21 AM
TD Albany! Great TD pass. That being said holy crap get 28 off the field, he’s so ****ing hurt. He’s also slow as ****.

He can't run wide at all!

Awful 2 pt conversion play....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2023, 12:27 AM
Albany defense with a huge strip sack and recovery!

POD Knows
December 10th, 2023, 12:28 AM
Huge play by the Albany D.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2023, 12:32 AM
Poff with great effort to get the first down. Idaho has only 1 timeout left. This one is near its conclusion....

POD Knows
December 10th, 2023, 12:33 AM
Seriously awesome effort by the Albany QB. game blouses

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2023, 12:36 AM
TD Albany! They're headed to Brookings! Great job Danes!

POD Knows
December 10th, 2023, 12:42 AM
Omg Albany

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 12:44 AM
He can't run wide at all!

Awful 2 pt conversion play....

boom

28 is my man Woodell

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2023, 12:46 AM
Great job Albany! These were two evenly matched teams who operate in a similar manner. Albany simply made fewer mistakes, executed a bit better and was able to get their ground game going when it mattered.

They're going to have a tough time with SDSU though. I'm not sure if you can count of Poff, for as good as he is, to sling the ball 50+ times and win in Brookings. Danes defense should be able to keep SDSU in check unless the offense starts having a bunch of quick 3 and outs.

Dusty Kitten
December 10th, 2023, 12:52 AM
Thank the football gods,
Idaho is such a self absorbed chippy chest pumping bunch of twats ... all the more sweet

ncspiderfan
December 10th, 2023, 12:56 AM
Way to go Danes, great job by defense in second half and Poff and offense coming though.

Good luck next week.

hebmskebm
December 10th, 2023, 12:56 AM
In the post-game interview it sounded like Gattuso said they were flying straight to South Dakota tomorrow morning. Are they really doing that? With the long cross-country flights to and from Albany and the short week it would make sense, but it doesn't seem like something the dorks at the NCAA would allow.

peavy
December 10th, 2023, 01:00 AM
Move over Touchdown Tommy, Reese Poffenbarger has taken the stage. Does he have a catchy nickname yet?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2023, 01:01 AM
In the post-game interview it sounded like Gattuso said they were flying straight to South Dakota tomorrow morning. Are they really doing that? With the long cross-country flights to and from Albany and the short week it would make sense, but it doesn't seem like something the dorks at the NCAA would allow.

Last week was finals week at a lot of schools so it seems plausible.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 01:01 AM

I’ll remember this

Move over Touchdown Tommy, Reese Poffenbarger has taken the stage. Does he have a catchy nickname yet?

Yes he does

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 01:02 AM

I’ll remember this

Well right after you posted that and just like I knew would happen 28, a talent by the way, started running the ball… game winner too

Stick with talent KPSUL

but seriously he was bottled up for 3 quarters and I didn’t like them running him outside either

Dane96
December 10th, 2023, 01:26 AM
yep just let him throw it and ditch the run

Your nephew came up huge. :)

Dane96
December 10th, 2023, 01:29 AM
I’ll remember this

Me too. One of the silliest posts I've seen. Kid is a monster, playing with a shoulder that was banged up pretty badly, as well as a leg.

- - - Updated - - -

Accurate for the first part. Runs a 4.56 on the second part.

That said, for the both of you, I agree that the way he was used tonight was awful. The OL played pretty poorly until about midway through the third. When the OL is playing like crap...don't string him to the outside. Was poor on our OC. But that's just griping by fans right now, myself included.

Dane96
December 10th, 2023, 01:33 AM

I was just told that this is indeed the case due to the start time of 7pm Friday. They would not get back to Albany until 9-10 EST Sunday...then would have to fly out Wed morning. Wouldn't get more than a single practice in.

Bisonoline
December 10th, 2023, 01:38 AM
I was just told that this is indeed the case due to the start time of 7pm Friday. They would not get back to Albany until 9-10 EST Sunday...then would have to fly out Wed morning. Wouldn't get more than a single practice in.

Very smart of them!!!!!

peavy
December 10th, 2023, 03:00 AM
Looks like the plane they arrived to Pullman-Moscow on (on Thurs direct from Albany) is headed (https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX8640/history/20231210/0845Z/KPUW/KSLC)to Salt Lake City now-ish.

Based on what happened with Nicholls, I'll assume this is no longer their plane because that would be a little too easy.

Pards Rule
December 10th, 2023, 06:37 AM

Poof - as in "poof" there goes the opposing teams lead!

Pards Rule
December 10th, 2023, 06:43 AM
Looks like the plane they arrived to Pullman-Moscow on (on Thurs direct from Albany) is headed (https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX8640/history/20231210/0845Z/KPUW/KSLC)to Salt Lake City now-ish.

Based on what happened with Nicholls, I'll assume this is no longer their plane because that would be a little too easy.

Did they charter from ALB? Not sure of cost but they could go to FSD (Sioux Falls SD) and then get another charter back to ALB. Dont think a charter company would want to tie up a plane sitting in FSD for most of a week. Prob a wash with another RT charter vs staying in SD with hotels, meals etc. Would they practice at SDSU field or do USD?

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2023, 07:02 AM
Congrats Albany! Wasn't too long ago that they were in the limited scholly NEC. Shows that an FCS school that commits financially to football (and finds the right coaching staff) can do special things no matter what their previous pedigree was.

UNHWildcat18
December 10th, 2023, 07:11 AM
Me too. One of the silliest posts I've seen. Kid is a monster, playing with a shoulder that was banged up pretty badly, as well as a leg.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, for the both of you, I agree that the way he was used tonight was awful. The OL played pretty poorly until about midway through the third. When the OL is playing like crap...don't string him to the outside. Was poor on our OC. But that's just griping by fans right now, myself included.

To clarify, I don’t think he’s overrated or not a hard worker. Watching the game last night, he had some really bad runs which as you mentioned the OL did poorly on and he was limping and grabbing his shoulder at the same time. I have no idea why GG didn’t play a different running back a few times. Until that last second TD run he was not having a big impact due to the injuries.

I was also really pulling for Albany to win lol! So happy for you guys and repping the CAA.

MR. CHICKEN
December 10th, 2023, 07:24 AM
CAA!

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 07:45 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations 96

Poffenburger was very poised out there, a winner

didn't know WR Brevin Easton was so good

Those false starts were driving me nuts and those Refs…. Talk about X Ray vision as they surely saw everything and more

Good luck in Brookings, maybe a key turnover can be the difference

KPSUL
December 10th, 2023, 08:14 AM

-

First, congratulations to Albany on the win and making it to the Semi-Finals. Nobody on this board, and I mean nobody, was quicker to recognize how good Albany was this season and post it to AGS. I've also ranked Albany considerable higher on the AGS poll than the poll consensus So I'm wondering if you thought those posts and rankings were also "silly"?

The fact that I think a Redshirt Freshman is a "bit" overrated and that Albany should give their Grad student, FBS transfer very capable RB more than two carries in the 1st half is not some crazy observation. Perhaps the phrase "over utilized" may have been a better choice. I was not aware of Woodell's complete medical report, but if he was dealing with significant injury, then that would be an additional reason to use Adel more.

G.G. has tended to use one running back almost exclusively, (i.e. Ibitokun-Hanks and Mofor.) those guys were extremely durable, and Woodell is not at that level yet. I also was concerned this season that Dylan Laube was a bit over utilized by UNH as well, while another capable possession type RB was available.

MRuler
December 10th, 2023, 08:25 AM
To clarify, I don’t think he’s overrated or not a hard worker. Watching the game last night, he had some really bad runs which as you mentioned the OL did poorly on and he was limping and grabbing his shoulder at the same time. I have no idea why GG didn’t play a different running back a few times. Until that last second TD run he was not having a big impact due to the injuries.

I was also really pulling for Albany to win lol! So happy for you guys and repping the CAA.

I agree with the fact that Faysel # 0 I believe is a very capable backup and he should be getting more reps. You could see Woodell is banged up and get 0 at least 10 carries to take the pressure off. After 14 games kids are beginning to wear down. We will need much more from the OL on Friday night

MRuler
December 10th, 2023, 08:27 AM
CAA!

Someone needs to do a wellness check on MU Hawk. He may be on a ledge somewhere.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 08:31 AM
First, congratulations to Albany on the win and making it to the Semi-Finals. Nobody on this board, and I mean nobody, was quicker than Caribbeanhen to recognize how good Albany was this season and post it to AGS. I've also ranked Albany considerable higher on the AGS poll than the poll consensus So I'm wondering if you thought those posts and rankings were also "silly"?

The fact that I think a Redshirt Freshman is a "bit" overrated and that Albany should give their Grad student, FBS transfer very capable RB more than two carries in the 1st half is not some crazy observation. Perhaps the phrase "over utilized" may have been a better choice. I was not aware of Woodell's complete medical report, but if he was dealing with significant injury, then that would be an additional reason to use Adel more.

G.G. has tended to use one running back almost exclusively, (i.e. Ibitokun-Hanks and Mofor.) those guys were extremely durable, and Woodell is not at that level ye. I also was concerned this season that Dylan Laube was a bit over utilized by UNH as well, while another capable possession type RB was available.

FYP

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?336972-CAA-Pick-em-2023-Week-Zero/page7

MR. CHICKEN
December 10th, 2023, 08:32 AM
.........STAYIN' OUT WEST...(IF TRUE)..............IS HUGE......TRAVELLIN' OUT WEST TWICE....IS WHAT.......DID IN "DH BEARS"....FEW YEARS AGO.......BRAWK!

KPSUL
December 10th, 2023, 08:58 AM
.........STAYIN' OUT WEST...(IF TRUE)..............IS HUGE......IT'S WHAT.....DID IN MAINE....FEW YEARS AGO.......BRAWK!

I thought Maine flew back to Bangor after the Weber State win, and then out to Eastern Washington for the Loss in the Semi-Finals. Either way it didn't work well for the Black Bears.
It's tough enough to win to long distance away game in the playoffs, let alone back to back games. Towson managed to beat Eastern Ill and Eastern Washington back to back in the Quarter and Semi Finals in 2013. There is probably another example or two but they don't come to mind.

-

POD Knows
December 10th, 2023, 09:00 AM
Thank the football gods,
Idaho is such a self absorbed chippy chest pumping bunch of twats ... all the more sweet
You noticed that too, this was made the most trash talking and “taunting” I have seen for a while. NDSU has a critical play taking away because our QB did the bow and arrow thing ONCE after a key completion. There should have been 50 taunting penalties in this game alone on Idaho using that standard.

They are a team full of young guys and hopefully some humble pie here and there will help.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2023, 09:05 AM
Enjoy it while it lasts CAA fans because the shelf life is gonna be short.

Gangtackle11
December 10th, 2023, 09:16 AM
Congrats Albany!! xpeacex

Houndawg
December 10th, 2023, 09:18 AM
Thank the football gods,

They were lucky to be there

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 09:20 AM
Enjoy it while it lasts CAA fans because the shelf life is gonna be short.

Nah, Albany is gonna break out the biggest weapon of all, some smothering old fashioned NY state red tape

ysubigred
December 10th, 2023, 09:22 AM
They were lucky to be thereAgree.. clearly SIUs self destruction was a big factor..also letting #1 return the ball really hurt.

I'll also say ur coaching staff is kinda < than..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

MR. CHICKEN
December 10th, 2023, 09:24 AM
I thought Maine flew back to Bangor after the Weber State win, and then out to Eastern Washington for the Loss in the Semi-Finals. Either way it didn't work well for the Black Bears.
It's tough enough to win to long distance away game in the playoffs, let alone back to back games. Towson managed to beat Eastern Ill and Eastern Washington back to back in the Quarter and Semi Finals in 2013. There is probably another example or two but they don't come to mind.

-

...YES.....AH DIDN'T EXPLAIN VERAH WELL.........AH MEANT ....MAINE DIDN'T HAVE DUH LUXURY.....AN' HAD TA TRAVEL TWICE OUT WEST..xembarrassedx..BAWK!

ps...AH EDITED THAT POST......AWK!

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 09:25 AM
They were lucky to be there

This is very true and ESPN will keep these Big Sky teams ranked Sky high for the TV optics of domes and sold out Montana TV optics… Montana deserved their high ranking

The Coaches poll didn’t even rank Albany until when? And Idaho was ranked Big Sky high all year

MUHAWKS
December 10th, 2023, 10:14 AM
Someone needs to do a wellness check on MU Hawk. He may be on a ledge somewhere.

I cannot fault you for not reading every single post on AGS my brother, but only place I will be is Christmas shopping with the $3600 score from your Danes last night. I am no Albany hater so all in good fun but not sure why I would be upset at this!

Well frankly my Hen, I DO give a damn! I will get over it, but honestly just saddened. And yes, FCS IMO, was one of the more pure form of sport. Big time enough were you see tons of guys playing on Sunday, but tight knit enough that you can develop a family. The allure of the road to The FCS playoffs and dreams of Frisco is far better than Saturday night against Kennesaw for the right to go to a bowl played on Dec 17th while people are at work. And for me, I now would not mind being back in the Old NEC trying to just dominate there and get lucky one year. I told everyone in my circle the second the NIL became real and transfer portal "thing" happened that it would destroy our growth. People were like "no way man everyone is in the same boat"... Yeah sure. I envision Monmouth fading into oblivion in this new world in both major sports. It is probably not as bad as I make it out to be but all I know is my passion is waning fast. And FYI I did see your not so subtle 3rd cousin Griffin Woodall post. I hope I am not considered a jinx but as Pard Rules knows, I have already laid into Albany 4.5 and money line. I watched the Idaho game and although I am semi impressed with their passing game at times, the Albany D line could really cause them issues. It is already my largest FCS bet of the year and I am not even done yet. Getting sick of living in this tent it is getting cold. Don't fuk me now Reece.

MRuler
December 10th, 2023, 10:21 AM
I cannot fault you for not reading every single post on AGS my brother, but only place I will be is Christmas shopping with the $3600 score from your Danes last night. I am no Albany hater so all in good fun but not sure why I would be upset at this!

[/B]

Never once did I think you were a UA hater. I was jokingly concerned because of your outlook on CAA football. I am thrilled you had a $3600 score!! Good for you brother.

MUHAWKS
December 10th, 2023, 10:22 AM

[/B]

I am elated for Albany and their fans. An Old school NEC rival of ours and a CAA "almost there" for a few years. This is a great story and it is fun to root for them. Also, not to sound like a self absorbed doosh but as I have stated here before I am a trader for a living and like to think of my betting of football as a side job -I certainly am not in it to lose- but point being- if you cannot check your ego, admit being wrong and all things similar you will get crushed. For me it is not about pride or "being right" but being able to change on a dime- I will admit I have bet emotionally on Monmouth and it has hurt me at times but I am selective and in zero way hold any dislike, disdain or envy for anything Albany. I even have them to win the natty for VERY small at + 8000- Just wish I had put that in when I thought of it before the playoffs started I could prob cash it out right now for nice $..

MUHAWKS
December 10th, 2023, 10:30 AM
Never once did I think you were a UA hater. I was jokingly concerned because of your outlook on CAA football. I am thrilled you had a $3600 score!! Good for you brother.

hahah, ok ow I got it. Yeah, I still am concerned for the CAA and more in particular my team. Even Nova's effort was admirable. But yes, Albany is repping The CAA well. Rather than tangent back to all that crap, Let's just enjoy this. And hey, all my "concerns" may just be emotionally charged and unfounded, but my main concern is for my own school not being able to compete. What Albany has done this year is flat out amazing, especially in this era. I know the Albany area very well having played Juco at HVCC before MU and although the school itself is fine I am impressed at the talent GG allured to go there. Not the easiest sell in the world IMO but culture and attitude matter. I am pumped for next week. Barring some insane weather I truthfully see The Danes being able to hang.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 10:40 AM

[/B]

Congratulations on your bet but Do I at least get a cup coffee as a commission ….. I love it

check out Carib and Hawks from August 27th

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?336972-CAA-Pick-em-2023-Week-Zero/page7

MUHAWKS
December 10th, 2023, 10:45 AM
Congratulations on your bet but Do I at least get a cup coffee as a commission ….. I love it

check out Carib and Hawks from August 27th

well more than a cup of coffee.. You had Albany nailed early. but as I said in a previous post above this, despite by bravado here, in REAL LIFE - get eaten alive for carrying the ego. Admit when you are wrong and be willing to change! If I am ever in PR or You back in North NJ- steaks on me. I will say something that may pIss off the blue blood CAA fans but having albany be "the team" is way more exciting than having it be W&M or DEL or Nova.. Just adds a more fun dimension, but C-Hen no doubt has a savvy feel for all this was was spot on about the Danes and much more.

Dusty Kitten
December 10th, 2023, 10:52 AM
You noticed that too, this was made the most trash talking and “taunting” I have seen for a while. NDSU has a critical play taking away because our QB did the bow and arrow thing ONCE after a key completion. There should have been 50 taunting penalties in this game alone on Idaho using that standard.

They are a team full of young guys and hopefully some humble pie here and there will help.

What gets me is when they don't want to celebrate with their teammates - no, they struggle to pull away from their teammates to prance around solo
I'll never understand that

I'm just old I guess
I played tennis in college because I liked the chess match of the game
i was never good enough to play any of the team sports at that level but I missed the "pack mentality" everything was about the team and I loved that

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 11:00 AM
well more than a cup of coffee.. You had Albany nailed early. but as I said in a previous post above this, despite by bravado here, in REAL LIFE - get eaten alive for carrying the ego. Admit when you are wrong and be willing to change! If I am ever in PR or You back in North NJ- steaks on me. I will say something that may pIss off the blue blood CAA fans but having albany be "the team" is way more exciting than having it be W&M or DEL or Nova.. Just adds a more fun dimension, but C-Hen no doubt has a savvy feel for all this was was spot on about the Danes and much more.

You’re melting the old and dark chambers of my heart MUHAWKS

whomever orchestrated the turnaround from 3-8 last year to Semi finalist this year deserves serious credit

I don’t follow close enough to know the details of how they did it but would love to hear how they did it

MUHAWKS
December 10th, 2023, 11:19 AM

whomever orchestrated the turnaround from 3-8 last year to Semi finalist this year deserves serious credit

I don’t follow close enough to know the details of how they did it but would love to hear how they did it

Albany fans- pls chime in? or actually, do not say a word!!!

UAalum72
December 10th, 2023, 11:19 AM

Bill Nesselt moved from Special Teams Coach to Defensive Coordinator
Joe Bernard moved from DC to Special Teams.

Which unit looks better now?

Bison56
December 10th, 2023, 12:28 PM
Congrats Albany.

peavy
December 10th, 2023, 12:39 PM
Did they charter from ALB? Not sure of cost but they could go to FSD (Sioux Falls SD) and then get another charter back to ALB. Dont think a charter company would want to tie up a plane sitting in FSD for most of a week. Prob a wash with another RT charter vs staying in SD with hotels, meals etc. Would they practice at SDSU field or do USD?

The data indicates they did charter from Albany. After stopping at Salt Lake early this morning, the plane flew to Albany. Danes are back in New York.
https://x.com/UAlbanyFootball/status/1733899267520053428 (https://x.com/UAlbanyFootball/status/1733899267520053428?s=20)

Pards Rule
December 10th, 2023, 12:46 PM
The data indicates they did charter from Albany. After stopping at Salt Lake early this morning, the plane flew to Albany. Danes are back in New York.
https://x.com/UAlbanyFootball/status/1733899267520053428 (https://x.com/UAlbanyFootball/status/1733899267520053428?s=20)

Why would a Sun Country charter stop in SLC though?

Preferred Walk-On
December 10th, 2023, 12:47 PM
NDSU has a critical play taking away because our QB did the bow and arrow thing ONCE after a key completion.

I have seen that move about a couple thirteen-fourteen times since then, and I have yet to see a flag for it since. It’s not even on par with the “consistency” with which targeting is called…which is something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2023, 01:11 PM
Idaho = Paper tiger

peavy
December 10th, 2023, 01:18 PM
Why would a Sun Country charter stop in SLC though?

Not sure on that one. Someone on their board suggested a technical stop for fuel and food. A stop at the ZCMI seems unlikely.

Dane96
December 10th, 2023, 01:40 PM

this. X1000000000

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 02:03 PM

thanks and the answer would be the D fence

you’re OC was at Delaware a few years and word is Danny Rocco got in his way

POD Knows
December 10th, 2023, 03:23 PM
thanks and the answer would be the D fence

you’re OC was at Delaware a few years and word is Danny Rocco got in his way
Albany looked decently solid on both sides of the ball but the special teams are a train wreck. Was it like that all season with them or was last nights game a one off.

Grizzlies82
December 10th, 2023, 03:26 PM

This is excellent. They will have time to go sightseeing to all of the scenic wonders in eastern South Dakota. Consider, somewhere over there is the Corn Palace. Then there are the corn fields, and, and, and, more corn fields.

Of course, they were harvested quite awhile ago so right now it's just empty fields of dirt. However, a creative person could envision the corn growing there in June. Lovely to behold. The kids from New York may enjoy it.

acbearkat
December 10th, 2023, 04:26 PM
I watched the game this morning on ESPN+. I wasn't planning on watching it this morning, but my back tightened up on me this morning, so I stayed home from church. The difference in the game was Idaho missing three field goals and settling for a field goal in the red zone. That's 12-13 points left on the board. What Idaho has done in making the playoffs two years in a row is impressive. They don't have a fertile recruiting base, as most of the teams in the Big Sky don't. UMass needs to join Idaho in dropping back down.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 05:19 PM
I watched the game this morning on ESPN+. I wasn't planning on watching it this morning, but my back tightened up on me this morning, so I stayed home from church. The difference in the game was Idaho missing three field goals and settling for a field goal in the red zone. That's 12-13 points left on the board. What Idaho has done in making the playoffs two years in a row is impressive. They don't have a fertile recruiting base, as most of the teams in the Big Sky don't. UMass needs to join Idaho in dropping back down.

Maybe missing those field Goals was God’s way of making up for all those false start calls Albany got.

Grizzlies82
December 10th, 2023, 05:42 PM
Albany looked decently solid on both sides of the ball but the special teams are a train wreck. Was it like that all season with them or was last nights game a one off.

Clearly they couldn't handle this "Western Speed".

Dane96
December 10th, 2023, 06:04 PM
Maybe missing those field Goals was God’s way of making up for all those false start calls Albany got.

Glad someone else saw this...

ElCid
December 11th, 2023, 10:25 AM
What gets me is when they don't want to celebrate with their teammates - no, they struggle to pull away from their teammates to prance around solo
I'll never understand that

I'm just old I guess
I played tennis in college because I liked the chess match of the game
i was never good enough to play any of the team sports at that level but I missed the "pack mentality" everything was about the team and I loved that

My dad used a phrase for that. He calls it me-ism. "It's all about me." If you voluntarily join a team and are truly a team player, it should be about "us.". Hmm.

UAalum72
December 11th, 2023, 10:48 AM
This is excellent. They will have time to go sightseeing to all of the scenic wonders in eastern South Dakota. Consider, somewhere over there is the Corn Palace. Then there are the corn fields, and, and, and, more corn fields.

Of course, they were harvested quite awhile ago so right now it's just empty fields of dirt. However, a creative person could envision the corn growing there in June. Lovely to behold. The kids from New York may enjoy it.
When driving out to Mount Rushmore we saw a sign on I-90 for a "scenic overlook." It rose about ten feet higher than the road to view a nearly treeless plain. It did have an outhouse, though.

And anyone driving between Boston and Albany on the Mass. Turnpike knows Oacoma, SD, which a sign says is the first time I-90 rises to the altitude you're at when you start descending the Berkshire Mountains in Becket, MA.

SDFS
December 11th, 2023, 01:13 PM
When driving out to Mount Rushmore we saw a sign on I-90 for a "scenic overlook." It rose about ten feet higher than the road to view a nearly treeless plain. It did have an outhouse, though.

And anyone driving between Boston and Albany on the Mass. Turnpike knows Oacoma, SD, which a sign says is the first time I-90 rises to the altitude you're at when you start descending the Berkshire Mountains in Becket, MA.

Ah, overlooking the Missouri River Valley. It's best as the sun is rising or setting. It can be spectacular depending on the conditions. In that area, late at night you can go about 10 miles off the interstate and step out of your car and not see a light anywhere on the horizon. Then look up and see the stars it is amazing. Now, days - I see way too many low orbit satellites.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2023, 05:28 PM
Ah, overlooking the Missouri River Valley. It's best as the sun is rising or setting. It can be spectacular depending on the conditions. In that area, late at night you can go about 10 miles off the interstate and step out of your car and not see a light anywhere on the horizon. Then look up and see the stars it is amazing. Now, days - I see way too many low orbit satellites.

99 Red China ballon’s

Vandal03
December 11th, 2023, 08:29 PM
Congratulations to Albany! They played a great game and made the plays needed to win. I look forward to seeing how they do against SDSU.

Go...gate
December 12th, 2023, 12:07 AM
Pulling for Albany in this one. Well done making this run to the Final Four!