PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Quarterfinal: #8 Villanova @ #1 South Dakota State

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2023, 03:58 PM
Game kicks off Saturday 12/9 at 11AM CT and will be nationally broadcast on ESPN. Winner moves on to face the winner of #4 Idaho and #5 Albany.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53372657146_d8f2039f12_o.jpg

VUCats02
December 2nd, 2023, 04:18 PM
After losing to Drexel today, I can officially confirm Villanova is now a football school.

SteelSD
December 2nd, 2023, 04:22 PM
After losing to Drexel today, I can officially confirm Villanova is now a football school.
Haha, SDSU has always kind of been the basketball school of the Dakotas. But compared to Villanova, not so much!

Pards Rule
December 2nd, 2023, 05:15 PM

I saw that loss! True fact Cats02: Drexel president John Fry is a Lafayette 1982 grad - I know him as I was 1984 grad

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 05:27 PM
SDSU wins but Nova is no pushover. SDSU probably wins by 18 or so

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2023, 05:33 PM
The only hope for the rest of the field is that the Jacks have a letdown somewhere along the way

Nova09
December 2nd, 2023, 06:56 PM
I enjoyed both of our recent playoff games even though both were losses. I would enjoy this even more if we somehow win 😂

CHIP72
December 2nd, 2023, 07:55 PM

Hey now, Villanova is only a football school in the Philadelphia city limits. VU basketball is still undefeated this season against teams not located in Philadelphia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Born a Rabbit
December 3rd, 2023, 03:14 AM
I enjoyed both of our recent playoff games even though both were losses. I would enjoy this even more if we somehow win 

agree with everything you said! both games were enjoyable and i am sure you would enjoy the next one even more if you guys come out on top)) i also enjoyed both matchups with you all. i would have been obviously less happy had the jacks lost but i would still have enjoyed the games

you all have a good football program and all my experiences with Nova fans have been very good. to me they have been the kind of games that i would like athletic competition to be about!! both teams play hard but respect their opponent. both fan bases root hard but respect the other team. as you saw on the other thread, i have a lot of respect for NDSU. believe me i freaking hate losing to them!! HATE IT! but at the end of the day i respect the way they do things and i respect the way you all do things!! and if the Jacks are gonna lose those are the type of teams that are FAR FAR easier lose to

looking forward to a well played, hard played game against your team!!! i have no doubt the jacks will be favored, but also no doubt that if we overlook your team in anyway you could and likely WOULD make us pay! congrats on a strong showing against a very solid YSU team today and i hope both teams will stay healthy and the refs wont do anything stupid to get in the way of a good game

UNHWildcat18
December 3rd, 2023, 03:54 AM
I hope its Saturday, early afternoon when it’s like 39/40 degrees out, weather not a factor.
Villanova will put up a good fight. I think SDSU wins though. A close game would be great

Gangtackle11
December 3rd, 2023, 06:15 AM
Back to Cubby’s !!

xpeacex

Pards Rule
December 3rd, 2023, 06:26 AM
Hey now, Villanova is only a football school in the Philadelphia city limits. VU basketball is still undefeated this season against teams not located in Philadelphia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chip do you mean because they play in the city at Palestra because they are in Villanova, PA outside city limits

Wolffan
December 3rd, 2023, 06:51 AM
Interestingly, Villanova’s star defensive lineman Jake Reichert played for Holy Cross last year in their valiant effort (tied at 21 after three quarters) versus eventual National Champion South Dakota State. Lots of experience on Nova’s squad but they’ll need terrific QB play (think Sluka last year) to keep it close.

CHIP72
December 3rd, 2023, 08:23 AM
I hope its Saturday, early afternoon when it’s like 39/40 degrees out, weather not a factor.
Villanova will put up a good fight. I think SDSU wins though. A close game would be great

It looks like this game will start at 12 PM ET (11 AM CT) and be televised on ESPN.

CHIP72
December 3rd, 2023, 08:26 AM
Chip do you mean because they play in the city at Palestra because they are in Villanova, PA outside city limits

Villanova is still a basketball school in Villanova, PA because VU basketball is undefeated so far this season against teams located outside the Philadelphia city limits.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2023, 08:30 AM
Just announced that this game will be the 11AM CT kickoff on Saturday 12/9 on ESPN. That's typically a nice slot in terms of ratings since it usually follows ESPN College Gameday and the only FBS game that day will be Army/Navy which doesn't kickoff until mid-afternoon - should average 1-2M viewers.

Sader87
December 3rd, 2023, 03:14 PM
This will actually be Reichert's third trip to Brookings in the last 4 years. Twice with HC and this year with Nova....he's playing as a grad student for Nova this year.

Ivytalk
December 3rd, 2023, 03:25 PM
SDSU wins but Nova is no pushover. SDSU probably wins by 18 or so
I agree. SDSU pulls away in second half.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2023, 05:52 PM
This will actually be Reichert's third trip to Brookings in the last 4 years. Twice with HC and this year with Nova....he's playing as a grad student for Nova this year.

The Bunnies better be ready when the figure out Villanova is better than last years Holy Cross

NY Crusader 2010
December 3rd, 2023, 07:05 PM
Haha, SDSU has always kind of been the basketball school of the Dakotas. But compared to Villanova, not so much!

When I was in Brookings, I was impressed with the level of pride the fans had for the Women's Basketball team. IIRC they made it really far in the Ladies' NIT a couple years ago, may have won it. I can't remember, but I think they played Columbia in one of the later rounds. Both SDSU and NDSU have been fairly strong Men's programs in the Summit League since going DI.

NY Crusader 2010
December 3rd, 2023, 07:13 PM
Villanova is really good this year. SDSU going to be tough to beat though, especially with Isiah Davis and the Janke twins closing out their 11th season of eligibility.

If SDSU loses, it might be the first truly wide-open FCS tournament heading into the semifinal round since the Bison run started.

Imagine this in the semis:

Villanova @ Albany
South Dakota @ Montana

Honestly, at that point anything could happen. Especially since both semis would be regional. No one would be flying 2,500 miles to play in crazy weather conditions that they're not used to.

smilo
December 3rd, 2023, 07:19 PM
In the 2016 edition of the game, SDSU deserved it every bit, even though we out gained them. We were pretty mid that year.
In the 2021 edition of the game, SDSU earned the hard fought victory every bit - incredible coaching adjustments - but I thought we were a tad better. Absolutely heartbreaking.

If only the sports gods could even the "expected wins" after dropping two coin flips. But no chance of that. SDSU by 20 imo.

This is probably the worst of Villanova's three quarterfinalist teams in the last decade so I'm pleased to be here. Secondary was soft vs. Youngstown. Waxter is individually great but we won't be able to stop SDSU so easily.

This, however, might be the best Villanova team at the WR/HB positions since the title. But it won't make up for being simply 'good' at other positions.

VUCats02
December 4th, 2023, 09:25 AM
Nova opened up at Draftkings 20 to 1 to win the Championship. There haven’t really been any upsets and everything has gone chalk so far, and now they are 80 to 1. Vegas is giving Nova absolutely no chance to win this game.

JacksFan40
December 4th, 2023, 09:32 AM
Villanova is really good this year. SDSU going to be tough to beat though, especially with Isiah Davis and the Janke twins closing out their 11th season of eligibility.

If SDSU loses, it might be the first truly wide-open FCS tournament heading into the semifinal round since the Bison run started.

Imagine this in the semis:

Villanova @ Albany
South Dakota @ Montana

Honestly, at that point anything could happen. Especially since both semis would be regional. No one would be flying 2,500 miles to play in crazy weather conditions that they're not used to.
Davis is a 4th year Senior and is likely heading to the NFL after this season. Nothing crazy about his eligibility, he's just been a starter since his first year during the COVID spring season.

Pards Rule
December 4th, 2023, 03:01 PM
Nova opened up at Draftkings 20 to 1 to win the Championship. There haven’t really been any upsets and everything has gone chalk so far, and now they are 80 to 1. Vegas is giving Nova absolutely no chance to win this game.

Whats game spread

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2023, 03:04 PM
Whats game spread
5dimes favors SDSU by 21.5: https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php

SteelSD
December 4th, 2023, 03:12 PM
This should be an interesting game. Good history of quality games against Villanova. They have been a CAA team that is able to stand up to us a bit with line play. Was very impressed with Pringle when we played there in 2021. Looking forward to this contest.

Any Villanova fans going to be heading to Brookings?

dbackjon
December 4th, 2023, 03:54 PM
At least Nova can point to basketball...well, at least they have cheesesteaks and scrapple

Nova09
December 4th, 2023, 03:59 PM
In the 2016 edition of the game, SDSU deserved it every bit, even though we out gained them. We were pretty mid that year.
In the 2021 edition of the game, SDSU earned the hard fought victory every bit - incredible coaching adjustments - but I thought we were a tad better. Absolutely heartbreaking.

If only the sports gods could even the "expected wins" after dropping two coin flips. But no chance of that. SDSU by 20 imo.

This is probably the worst of Villanova's three quarterfinalist teams in the last decade so I'm pleased to be here. Secondary was soft vs. Youngstown. Waxter is individually great but we won't be able to stop SDSU so easily.

This, however, might be the best Villanova team at the WR/HB positions since the title. But it won't make up for being simply 'good' at other positions.

I actually viewed the games opposite, 21 we relied too heavily on big play passes, which was often enough to blow gams open but good teams stick around and then you miss one like early 2nd half when receiver was behind d, fall behind, and drop a 40 yarder in endzone, game over.

16 I still don't understand the playcalling when we got into fg range and should have burned clock

Splitting hairs tough, both fun games and as you said, sdsu earned both victories

POD Knows
December 4th, 2023, 06:15 PM
I actually viewed the games opposite, 21 we relied too heavily on big play passes, which was often enough to blow gams open but good teams stick around and then you miss one like early 2nd half when receiver was behind d, fall behind, and drop a 40 yarder in endzone, game over.

16 I still don't understand the playcalling when we got into fg range and should have burned clock

Splitting hairs tough, both fun games and as you said, sdsu earned both victoriesThere really isn't any comparison between the SDSU team of this year and last year with the teams Nova last played against. Completely different animal but Nova has a punchers chance this Saturday, we will see.

Nova09
December 4th, 2023, 06:37 PM
There really isn't any comparison between the SDSU team of this year and last year with the teams Nova last played against. Completely different animal but Nova has a punchers chance this Saturday, we will see.

Oh for sure, this is definitely the best of the sdsu teams so it doesn't matter which of the nova teams was best. Actually, it sucks that this is the best nova team in the past decade as we're running into this buzz saw in quarters. Feels a lot like 08, though this nova is not that good and the conference rivalry/hail mary regular season loss made that dynamic way different. I guess all I'm saying is it sucks to have a really good team go down in round of 8 😂

Gangtackle11
December 4th, 2023, 08:10 PM

Splitting hairs tough, both fun games and as you said, sdsu earned both victories

I was at both games.

The 2016 was a game for the taking for Nova. Dallas Goedaert was a beast that day. Nova scored on the final play of the half to tie it at 7. We had a pick 6 interception dropped by our AA LB in the 4 quarter & a big penalty on Nova pushed them out of FG range later in the 4th. SDSU maneuvered into FG & Adam Vinitieri’s nephew hit the gw FG with less than 2 minutes to go. I think it hit the upright & went through if I recall.

Tough 10-7 loss. Nova had 2 NFL players on their defense & were the #1 FCS defense that season.

The 2021 game SDSU lost their stud RB early, but just pushed Nova around that day taking the 35-21 win at Nova.

SteelSD
December 4th, 2023, 09:14 PM
I was at both games.

The 2016 was a game for the taking for Nova. Dallas Goedaert was a beast that day. Nova scored on the final play of the half to tie it at 7. We had a pick 6 interception dropped by our AA LB in the 4 quarter & a big penalty on Nova pushed them out of FG range later in the 4th. SDSU maneuvered into FG & Adam Vinitieri’s nephew hit the gw FG with less than 2 minutes to go. I think it hit the upright & went through if I recall.

Tough 10-7 loss. Nova had 2 NFL players on their defense & were the #1 FCS defense that season.

The 2021 game SDSU lost their stud RB early, but just pushed Nova around that day taking the 35-21 win at Nova.
True, but two be fair the 2 RB's that replaced him weren't too bad either.

Gangtackle11
December 5th, 2023, 05:36 AM
True, but two be fair the 2 RB's that replaced him weren't too bad either.
Yeah…..my point was more we got pushed around all game by the offensive line. Your backs were superb. It was impressive to watch tbhxpeacex

Pards Rule
December 5th, 2023, 06:44 AM
5dimes favors SDSU by 21.5: https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php

OK what did they have on Doug Burgum odds lol - hes out now

SteelSD
December 5th, 2023, 07:37 AM
Yeah…..my point was more we got pushed around all game by the offensive line. Your backs were superb. It was impressive to watch tbhxpeacex
Yeah, that first half was a great battle. I was impressed with Villanova that day and I'm not happy that Pringle is still around. That dude is a menace!

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2023, 08:29 AM
Yeah, that first half was a great battle. I was impressed with Villanova that day and I'm not happy that Pringle is still around. That dude is a menace!

Hayek is no potato chip either

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2023, 08:49 AM
Hayek is no potato chip either
You're right about that!

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.uQA9xr62UukjyNEEtAIgCAHaLG?rs=1&pid=ImgDetMain

Trying to keep it PG for the FCSD forum. ;)

SteelSD
December 5th, 2023, 09:25 AM
You're right about that!

Now that's a worthwhile thread squirrel!

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2023, 10:39 AM
You're right about that!

in Puerto Rico we see that at the grocery store every day and I always volunteer to pick up the leche and Juevos

Paladin1aa
December 5th, 2023, 11:12 AM
You're right about that!

Go ahead and hit me with XXX. I can take it ! 😎

Nova09
December 5th, 2023, 12:54 PM
Perhaps the Grown Ups leading ladies should come to the game together, Salma to see her namesake wr and Maria to support her alma mater 33228

SteelSD
December 5th, 2023, 01:20 PM
Perhaps the Grown Ups leading ladies should come to the game together, Salma to see her namesake wr and Maria to support her alma mater 33228
Just don’t tell them you are from Saskatchatoon.

Nova09
December 6th, 2023, 06:58 PM
Hey sdsu bros, I'm not really enjoying college basketball season so far, and the NY villanoverbockers need a bridges from Brooklyn to be even sort of a championship threat, so could you like, let me keep watching football? K thx!

VUCats02
December 7th, 2023, 05:31 AM
Can’t believe we are 21 point dogs! Why even play the game??

Wolffan
December 7th, 2023, 07:58 AM
Last year Holy Cross hit SDS with Sluka and that (plus a stout defense) kept things tied up thru the end of the 3rd quarter. Nova doesn't seem to have an offensive mismatch like that (who does?) so it could be a long day for the solid Villanova squad.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2023, 08:26 AM
Last year Holy Cross hit SDS with Sluka and that (plus a stout defense) kept things tied up thru the end of the 3rd quarter. Nova doesn't seem to have an offensive mismatch like that (who does?) so it could be a long day for the solid Villanova squad.

Sluka was definitely the X factor

The Nova QB has got some game though, obviously not a Sluka

let’s see what happens

RahRahRabbits
December 7th, 2023, 10:31 AM
Weather forecast has slowly been getting worse it seems. Game time temp of 26F actual, 11F feels-like, with a chance of snow and 24 mph winds out of the NNW which should certainly be felt on the field.

Beautiful football weather! Even though our local tropical chicken friend would disagree... It will be a bit breezier than the Wildcats are likely used to, but the temp shouldn't be that much out of the ordinary for them... at least not enough to be a major excuse.

Beers just taste better when you have to chug them before they freeze.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2023, 12:39 PM
Weather forecast has slowly been getting worse it seems. Game time temp of 26F actual, 11F feels-like, with a chance of snow and 24 mph winds out of the NNW which should certainly be felt on the field.

Beautiful football weather! Even though our local tropical chicken friend would disagree... It will be a bit breezier than the Wildcats are likely used to, but the temp shouldn't be that much out of the ordinary for them... at least not enough to be a major excuse.

Or chug em before they get warm

CHIP72
December 7th, 2023, 12:42 PM
Can’t believe we are 21 point dogs! Why even play the game??

Didn’t people say stuff like that when in a different sport Villanova played invincible defending national champion Georgetown in 1985?

Catbooster
December 7th, 2023, 12:44 PM

When the cooler is used to prevent freezing the beer instead of to keep it cool at your tailgate - that's football weather

VUCats02
December 7th, 2023, 09:18 PM
Georgetown was only 8 point favorites against Nova in the 1985 championship game.

It’s been a cold November and December in Philly, snow past 2 days in Philly to prep Nova for South Dakota weather!

Warming up this weekend locally though, will be a warm 50 degrees for tailgating the UCLA basketball game Saturday evening at Wells Fargo Center.

SteelSD
December 7th, 2023, 11:49 PM
Georgetown was only 8 point favorites against Nova in the 1985 championship game.

It’s been a cold November and December in Philly, snow past 2 days in Philly to prep Nova for South Dakota weather!

Warming up this weekend locally though, will be a warm 50 degrees for tailgating the UCLA basketball game Saturday evening at Wells Fargo Center.
Actually it will be nice playing a team that can’t use the “we aren’t used to that kind of weather” excuse if they lose. Although, that didn’t stop MSU fans last year from claiming that SD ice is somehow different from Montana ice…

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2023, 02:35 PM
Sounds like there will 25-35 mph sustained winds during this game with gusts over 40. Might wreak havoc with the kicking game and, to a lesser extent, with the passing game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2023, 04:12 PM
I have SDSU by less than a TD. I think Villanova is that good....

POD Knows
December 8th, 2023, 05:48 PM
I have SDSU by less than a TD. I think Villanova is that good....If it is that windy, and Nova is forced to be one dimensional on offense against that D then forget about it. SDSU can survive being run only, they probably have the best o line in the country and great running backs with quality all the way to their #4 RB.

Pards Rule
December 9th, 2023, 06:57 AM
Actually it will be nice playing a team that can’t use the “we aren’t used to that kind of weather” excuse if they lose. Although, that didn’t stop MSU fans last year from claiming that SD ice is somehow different from Montana ice…
Steel, you folks would double over with laughter at Cats02 definition of "snow" in Philly. While temps have been highs of upper 30s there has been just a scattering of snow squalls with no real acculmulation in PHL metro area. My friend from NDSU just checked in from Vermillion and its about 30 degrees but with that 30 mph wind.

Pards Rule
December 9th, 2023, 07:02 AM
I have SDSU by less than a TD. I think Villanova is that good....

Are you betting? Nova and 20.5?

SteelSD
December 9th, 2023, 07:05 AM
Steel, you folks would double over with laughter at Cats02 definition of "snow" in Philly. While temps have been highs of upper 30s there has been just a scattering of snow squalls with no real acculmulation in PHL metro area. My friend from NDSU just checked in from Vermillion and it’s about 30 degrees but with that 30 mph wind.
7am check in from Brookings. Sausage is browning and biscuits ready to go in the oven. And it’s cold and VERY windy in town. It’s going to be a tough day to throw the ball.

Pards Rule
December 9th, 2023, 07:43 AM
7am check in from Brookings. Sausage is browning and biscuits ready to go in the oven. And it’s cold and VERY windy in town. It’s going to be a tough day to throw the ball.

Pics if you can! I only got as far as Sisseton (from Fargo watching Lafayette at NDSU way back in Sept 2011) on the eastern side of SD but was very active on the westwen side when I took a week off after Lafayette at Air Force. Need to go to Mitchell to see George McGovern Museum and Corn Palace and of course visit Brookings, SF, and Vermillion. And go Dallas Goedert! Yes hes playing for my Birds Sunday night vs Dallas!!

Gangtackle11
December 9th, 2023, 07:46 AM
South Dakota State is a tall task in any weather. Nova has had a strong running game this season, but I’m sure SDSU will be a major upgrade defensively for them.

Shame about the high winds because Watkins has a very strong arm & hits the deep ball as well as I’ve seen at the FCS level in a long, long time. xpeacex

Pards Rule
December 9th, 2023, 08:03 AM
Im going Wabbits and points

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2023, 08:26 AM
Weather channel say 35mph sustained winds at kickoff... yikes.

Out of the NW too - should be partially blocked by their IPF on the north side of the stadium but there's an open corridor in the NW corner of the stadium.

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2023, 08:36 AM
Weather channel say 35mph sustained winds at kickoff... yikes.

Out of the NW too - should be partially blocked by their IPF on the north side of the stadium but there's an open corridor in the NW corner of the stadium.

well that helps the Bunnies and it’s not like they really needed any

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 10:06 AM
Well, if the weather in Brookings is even half as bad as it is up by Fargo, it is gonna suck balls. Sustained winds in the high 20 MPH and gusty as hell. Cold and just plain ****ty but I am sure it is 5 to 10 degrees warmer in Brookings. If we had a playoff game up here today, in an outdoor stadium, this guy would be on the couch watching.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:05 AM
No offense to ESPN, especially as it relates to the Army-Navy Game, but I'd prefer if the ESPN GameDay pregame show would finish AT 12:00 PM ET, rather spilling into the start of the TV window of an actual game.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:09 AM
I'm ready for posting on AGS, the Villanova football message board, the Reddit CFB subreddit, and the Reddit FCS subreddit.

I'm all set! xnodxxlolx

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:13 AM
Nice camera work on that 3rd down pass ESPN. xrolleyesx

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh, bad start for VU.

JacksFan40
Well that’s an interesting punt.

Go Lehigh TU owl
And special teams strike early...

Bisonator
December 9th, 2023, 11:14 AM
Lol at that puntxlolx

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:15 AM
They should look at that spot.

Winindy
December 9th, 2023, 11:15 AM
Pretty sure I just saw a tumbleweed roll through.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:17 AM
Villanova defense holds. They needed that.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 11:20 AM
Early in the game but the SDSU oline getting handled by the Villanova D. Kind of reminds me of last nights game.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:21 AM
Mistake by the VU kickoff returner to bring the ball out.

I remember the 2016 game was the same day as the AAC Championship Game when Temple crushed Navy 34-10 in Annapolis.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:23 AM
Definitely looks like VU wants to rely on the run.

Bison56
December 9th, 2023, 11:26 AM
Bonehead penalty.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 11:27 AM
Cmon Nova. No stupid penalties.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:28 AM
Villanova's defense needs to get another stop.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:32 AM
Look at the wind on that SDSU punt.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 11:33 AM
If Nova holds them to 3-0 in Q1 that is a major win. SDSU getting nothing done on O with the wind. Let’s go Nova.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:36 AM
If Nova holds them to 3-0 in Q1 that is a major win. SDSU getting nothing done on O with the wind. Let’s go Nova.

Your comments in this thread are causing my view of North Dakota State to go up 3-4 notches. :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 11:37 AM
Ugh, the 'Nova play sheets are blowing onto the field!

I was at a Pats at Bills game in 2008 (last game of the regular season) when the wind blew the goal posts over. Not sure we'll get to that point.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:39 AM
Ugh, the 'Nova play sheets are blowing onto the field!

I was a Pats at Bills game in 2008 (last game of the regular season) when the wind blew the goal posts over. Not sure we'll get to that point.

Just wait GLTUOwl. xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

Villanova's defense is playing excellent so far.

Bison56
December 9th, 2023, 11:39 AM
This looks like last nights game, teams keep trying to run outside and getting nothing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 11:40 AM
BTW, these announcers are a welcome reprieve from last night's duo....

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 11:43 AM
This looks like last nights game, teams keep trying to run outside and getting nothing.
The linebackers on all these teams are light years faster sideline to sideline than NDSUs. We look slow by comparison.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:44 AM
BTW, these announcers are a welcome reprieve from last night's duo....
It's appalling how bad ESPN's announcers are for any game that isn't a P5 (P4? P2?) game.

Nova09
December 9th, 2023, 11:44 AM
Would love to get a chance with the ball and wind down only 1 score. I know sdsu having trouble throwing with the cross wind but I think i we'd be able to use it to our advantage better. Wo knows though, just want a chance to see

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:45 AM
Huge pass completion by SDSU on 4th down.

Strike that, penalty by the Jackrabbits.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 11:46 AM
What a huge 4th down conversion by SDSU!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 11:47 AM
The head official looks like he's frozen stiff. No idea what that was...

BisonBacker
December 9th, 2023, 11:49 AM
Score update please????

ElCid
Weather obviously playing a big part in this game. Entertaining though. Another two good teams.

Nova09
Score update please????

3-0 sdsu early 2nd nova ball after punt

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:50 AM
Villanova is going to have to pass effectively at least a little bit if they want to win IMO.

Nova09
Yardage approx 40 yards to 40 yards through 3 drives esch

caribbeanhen

geez ESPN loves that Guido Nova Coach

Winindy
December 9th, 2023, 11:52 AM
12 on the field for a SDSU timeout

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 11:52 AM
Score update please????

SDSU's FG to put them up 3-0 was set up by a Villanova punt in SDSU territory that went off the back of a VU player.

ElCid
December 9th, 2023, 11:55 AM
Hah. Nova with a 71 yard punt. Gotta love the wind. That's flipping field position.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 11:56 AM
Villanova is dominating these guys in the trenches. Kind of shocking actually

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 11:57 AM
SDSU had the TE wide open across the middle

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 11:59 AM
Villanova is dominating these guys in the trenches. Kind of shocking actually

I mentioned this last week. Their strength and conditioning resources are second to none at this level...

Winindy
December 9th, 2023, 11:59 AM
SDSU looks slow getting off the ball on O. Just sluggish

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 12:01 PM
One of the VU receivers just leveled a SDSU defender on that Villanova QB scramble.

TheKingpin28
December 9th, 2023, 12:01 PM
Nice TD run for Nova

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 12:02 PM
TD 'Nova! Right up the gut!

CHIP72
Villanova with the touchdown run! But they miss the extra point!

Wildcats lead 6-3 with 7:54 left in the 2nd quarter.

POD Knows
Yes yes yes yes yes yes. Ficking aye. 6-3. Nova Missed xtra point.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 12:03 PM
lol. Shout out to Nicks Burgers. Love that place.

Bison56
December 9th, 2023, 12:04 PM
SDSU looks like they aren't interested in playing today, they are slow.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 12:04 PM
I'm genuinely surprised how Villanova seems to have the upper hand against undefeated #1 South Dakota State.

If the game stays like this, I like the Wildcats' chances at winning.

ElCid
December 9th, 2023, 12:05 PM
Nova score set up by that exchange of 71 and 35 yard punts to let Nova start in SDSU territory. Nice run though.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 12:06 PM
You can still down that! What is he doing?!?!

POD Knows
Omg. Huge break for SDSU

CHIP72
Bud Grant would not approve of that hot box.

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2023, 12:08 PM
Omg. Huge break for SDSU

Nova always good at missing the XP

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 12:09 PM
Did they change the rule where if the ball touches you on the kickoff but its momentum carries it into the end zone you can no longer down it?

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 12:10 PM

I'm still shocked by the time I saw Villanova kick a 45 yard FG to force overtime at Towson in 2019.

JacksFan40
December 9th, 2023, 12:10 PM
The effort by SDSU sucks right now. They don’t seem at all interested in this game.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 12:11 PM
R u ****ing kidding me. Delay of game.

uofmman1122
December 9th, 2023, 12:11 PM
Jacks not looking like the juggernaut they're supposed to be.

Edit: And there's the sack.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 12:12 PM
Bud Grant would not approve of that hot box.

"Hot Box" meant a totally different thing when I was in college...

https://townsquare.media/site/722/files/2022/03/attachment-ParkForrest.png?w=980&q=75

POD Knows
JFC. Nova pissed that series down their leg.

uofmman1122
LMAO what a block!

POD Knows
What a freaking meltdown.

Paladin1aa
December 9th, 2023, 12:13 PM
Blocked punt and score. Rabbits on the rampage

JacksFan40
Well that’s one way to retake the lead.

CHIP72
South Dakota State with the punt block for a touchdown!

All of SDSU's points have been set up by the Villanova punt unit.

POD Knows
Do special teams exist east of the Mississippi.

Go Lehigh TU owl
More special teams action! Wow, I can't recall a playoff year with so many huge special teams plays!

BNATION
December 9th, 2023, 12:16 PM
Can we come back?????

CHIP72
Do special teams exist east of the Mississippi.

In Villanova, PA on the Philadelphia Main Line, no.

ElCid
Well that was timely. The punt game has been hurting SDSU with field position. A block scoop and score takes care of that. The cold looks to brutal.

semobison
December 9th, 2023, 12:17 PM
Nova was outplaying the Jacks, game changing play!

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 12:18 PM
Can this Pringle guy catch a ****ing football.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 12:19 PM
lol. Pringle with the catch.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 12:19 PM
'Nova can't get anything going through the air...

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 12:20 PM
Why are these guys having so much trouble throwing with the wind. Lots of ugly balls

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 12:24 PM
WTF? Villanova kicks a 47 yard FG?

South Dakota State now leads 10-9 with 1:06 left in the 2nd quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 12:24 PM
I honestly didn't think that kick had a chance...

ElCid
December 9th, 2023, 12:25 PM
Good decision to take the points with the wind. 10-9. Extra points miss might loom later.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 12:27 PM
Nova dominates the first half. Down by one at the break. A whopping 40 yards or so of total offense by SDSU.

Nova09
December 9th, 2023, 12:29 PM
I cat stress this enough: villaova NEEDS to choose kicking INTO wind to start 2nd half. We need the wind for 4th and knowing situation

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 12:33 PM
I was talking about that lucky **** recovering the kick off fumble on the 3. SDSU got every bounce and every break in the first half. The Nova D is slapping them hard. Only a stupid delay (unbelievable garbage awareness) and special team crap. Nova has this game if they can stay away from the garbage plays.

Nova09
December 9th, 2023, 12:40 PM
I was talking about that lucky **** recovering the kick off fumble on the 3. SDSU got every bounce and every break in the first half. The Nova D is slapping them hard. Only a stupid delay (unbelievable garbage awareness) and special team crap. Nova has this game if they can stay away from the garbage plays.

I love our coach, he's been with the program forever and I believe is legitimately very good at what he does, but he's guaranteed at least 1 complete head scratcher per close game, he HAS to call that timeout from sideline. Yes a veteran qb shouldn't let it get to hat but head coach: that's your place to step in and right ship. Given everything else, I find it...unlikely we don't pick up 1st down on 3rd or 4th, and even if we don't ad turnover on downs, what has sdsu offense done?

MR. CHICKEN
December 9th, 2023, 12:41 PM
Can this Pringle guy catch a ****ing football.

...NOVA'S WIDE-OUTS...ARE NUMBER 1 & 2....IN FCS.....PER ANNOUNCER......AWK!

SteelSD
December 9th, 2023, 12:42 PM
No innovation in the SDSU offense. Just zone runs. Nova outcoaching the crap out of us.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 12:45 PM
I love our coach, he's been with the program forever and I believe is legitimately very good at what he does, but he's guaranteed at least 1 complete head scratcher per close game, he HAS to call that timeout from sideline. Yes a veteran qb shouldn't let it get to hat but head coach: that's your place to step in and right ship. Given everything else, I find it...unlikely we don't pick up 1st down on 3rd or 4th, and even if we don't ad turnover on downs, what has sdsu offense done?
It was a huge moment and completely inexcusable, you can’t do that against teams like SDSU because you aren’t gonna get many chances. It was a possible 14 point swing there.

MR. CHICKEN
December 9th, 2023, 12:46 PM
No innovation in the SDSU offense. Just zone runs. Nova outcoaching the crap out of us.

...BUT YOUSE....HAVE UH....HOT BOX......SO THERE'S THAT.....xwhistlex......AWK!

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 12:48 PM
Yes. Except on critical possessions in your territory and special teams. Didn’t see a lot of good coaching on the blocked punt. The DC for Nova has shown up. Not so sure about the rest of them.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 12:48 PM
REALLY surprised SDSU took the ball to start the 3rd quarter, rather than the wind in the 4th quarter.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 12:50 PM
Villanova forces the fumble after the SDSU catch and recovers it!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 12:51 PM
Huge defensive play by the 'Nova defense!

Gangtackle11
December 9th, 2023, 12:52 PM
Nice punch out by LB Bell!! xpeacex

Bison56
December 9th, 2023, 12:54 PM
58 for Villanova makes me laugh.

Nova09
December 9th, 2023, 12:57 PM
Great individual plays by sdsu on 2nd and 3rd down. If those falling down guys don't make solo tackles either one of those are 1st down runs

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 01:01 PM
The Jackrabbits offense is getting solid if unspectacular gains on 1st and 2nd down, something they couldn't do in the 1st half.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:02 PM
SDSU's offense does look better this half. I like their offense to be able to drive the field, regardless of direction, a bit more than 'Nova's at this point....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:07 PM
TD SDSU!

Their offense needs to do something or this very well might get away from them....

CHIP72
SDSU with by far their best offensive drive of the day, finish it off with a touchdown.

Jackrabbits lead Villanova 17-9 with 7:01 left in the 3rd quarter.

Dusty Kitten
Villanova looks very well coached

Nova09
Blatant holding

- - - Updated - - -

Holding gave him time he needed to get comfortable in pocket

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 01:09 PM
FWIW, official attendance for this game appears to be 10,216.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 01:12 PM
I think that Watkins throw was a lateral.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:12 PM
Huge first down! wow, what a play...

ElCid
December 9th, 2023, 01:13 PM
I think that Watkins throw was a lateral.

Better of been. He was over line of S. It was.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:14 PM
Perfect call on the screen!

CHIP72
Best drive by either team today while going against the wind.

Good drive by Villanova so far in response to the SDSU touchdown.

Bison56
Nice drive so far.

smilo
December 9th, 2023, 01:15 PM
Better of been. He was over line of S. It was.

I think his leg was behind the line, but it was a lateral any way

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:15 PM
Best drive by either team today while going against the wind.

Good drive by Villanova so far in response to the SDSU touchdown.

I agree! I was having my doubts 'Nova could put together another lengthy drive. Let alone in this direction...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:18 PM
Will SDSU take a timeout after 3rd down to force 'Novas hand?

Won't matter...'nova first down!

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 01:18 PM
Some huge 3rd down conversions by the Wildcats on this drive.

They'll now have the wind at their backs.

JacksFan40
December 9th, 2023, 01:19 PM
Offense finally shows up so naturally the defense starts playing bad.

Dusty Kitten
December 9th, 2023, 01:20 PM
I feel like SDSU should have maybe used some timeouts to keep Villanova facing the wind but I'm on my sofa

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:21 PM
'Nova has done a really good job getting the offense to work in space and/or being able to work laterally (which often is a recipe for disaster against really good teams).

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 01:24 PM
Surprised Villanova didn't go for it there.

The Wildcats do kick the FG, still trail SDSU 17-12 early in the 4th quarter.

Nova09
December 9th, 2023, 01:26 PM
OL needs to stand up on 1st down, get he offside call. Would be 1st goal from 3, instead 2nd goal from 8

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:27 PM
Surprised Villanova didn't go for it there.

The Wildcats do kick the FG, still trail SDSU 17-12 early in the 4th quarter.

I think the FG was the right call. Basically, a layup 2 pt conversion that they needed...but 1 point better..

Bison56
December 9th, 2023, 01:28 PM
Ouch

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 01:28 PM
SDSU with a 66 yard TD run to build their lead to two scores. Back breaker for Villanova.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:29 PM
Wow! Davis to the house! That might be the death blow. SDSU's offense has been much different this half...

uofmman1122
December 9th, 2023, 01:29 PM
SDSU starting to control the LOS

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 01:31 PM
OL needs to stand up on 1st down, get he offside call. Would be 1st goal from 3, instead 2nd goal from 8
Yep.

bulldog10jw
December 9th, 2023, 01:32 PM
Why go for two? A twelve point lead forces Villanova to score two TD's

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 01:32 PM
Not a good decision by Watkins, INT by SDSU.

Bison56
December 9th, 2023, 01:33 PM
What a terrible decision to throw that there.

CHIP72
SDSU is playing MUCH better on offense in the 2nd half.

Go Lehigh TU owl
Looks like the Bison/Yotes game is starting at the perfect time. Time to take a trip down I-29...

Dusty Kitten
December 9th, 2023, 01:34 PM
Villanova better be ready for Zone Block Left to Davis / Zone block right to Davis for the next 12 minutes

JacksFan40
December 9th, 2023, 01:40 PM
Stupid conservative play calling on 3rd down. Passing game has been there even going into the wind, so naturally we run it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:40 PM
If nothing else, SDSU bled a lot of clock...

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 01:43 PM
Watkins has scrambled too much in this game.

Punting here is basically conceding the game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:44 PM
Looks like "Mick" is throwing in the proverbial towel...

UNHWildcat18
December 9th, 2023, 01:47 PM
Villanova played a tough game, SDSU very fortunate for those punt plays. Overall Nova couldn’t make plays in the end can gave up two to SDSU. A very good representation of the CAA though tough match up between CAA2 vs MVFC1

Nova09
December 9th, 2023, 01:47 PM
Punt makes no sense. You have to hold them 3 and out either way, if we failed to get 1st down and then held, very tough fg into wind, ad even if they get it, still 2 score. Punt just gives sdsu more ground to pick up a couple 1st downs and run out clock

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:49 PM
'Nova fought hard but SDSU is the better team. 'Nova was too limited in the passing game. This game was similar to the one last night imo...

VUCats02
December 9th, 2023, 01:50 PM
Nova matched up really well offensively and defensively/in the trenches in this game. Special teams was the difference. Obviously much respect SDSU! Gutsy 21 point cover by the cats.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:52 PM
Nova matched up really well offensively and defensively/in the trenches in this game. Special teams was the difference. Obviously much respect SDSU! Gutsy 21 point cover by the cats.

The three times they've played SDSU they've basically been the 'Rabbits physical equal. Similar to the game two years ago, SDSU got their offense going in the second half while 'Nova did not....

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 01:52 PM
That's it, the fat lady has officially began singing.

VUCats02
December 9th, 2023, 01:54 PM
The three times they've played SDSU they've basically been the 'Rabbits physical equal. Similar to the game two years ago, SDSU got their offense going in the second half while 'Nova did not....

Absolutely. Post Andy Talley I’ve always said that we go into every playoff game with an X’s vs O’s disadvantage in most matchups. We do a lot of things to hurt ourselves in these post Talley playoff games.

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2023, 01:56 PM
Looks like "Mick" is throwing in the proverbial towel...

mafia is big in Philly

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 01:56 PM
Congrats to South Dakota State, they were really impressive in the 2nd half.

Good luck against the Albany/Idaho winner.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2023, 01:58 PM
SDSU earned it over the final 30! Really impressed with their adjustments/reset relative to 'Nova.

This game followed a similar script to 'Nova 2021, Holy Cross 2022. The best teams in the East have the physicality. It's just the "little things". I should include Furman in that list. Private, academic minded FCS schools are still relevant in the East...

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 02:01 PM
Albany/Idaho winner at South Dakota State - next Friday (12/15) at 7 PM ET on ESPN.

North Dakota State/South Dakota winner at Montana - next Saturday (12/16) at 4:30 PM ET on ESPN2.

Dusty Kitten
December 9th, 2023, 02:01 PM
That was impressive - SDSU is game for a fight - Villanova played about as well as I could have imagined and it was not enough
Congrats to the Jacks that was a hard fought battle

ysubigred
December 9th, 2023, 02:18 PM
Don't know "IF" the outcome would be different, but this game in 60 degrees sunny no wind would have been wild.

Congrats to two great teams.

GoooMVFC!!

Gangtackle11
December 9th, 2023, 02:45 PM
Congratulations to the Jackrabbits! I always enjoy watching teams play mistake free football & knock the snot out of their opponents! Unfortunately not vs. Villanova!

Our Cats played tough, but didnt have an answer to the Jackrabbits 2nd half run game!

xpeacex

FU_Paladin08
December 9th, 2023, 03:46 PM
Glad to see the Eastern teams are handily beating the spreads. The only way to get that respect back is to compete in these games, or win of course.

Paladin1aa
December 9th, 2023, 04:21 PM
Good win for the Bunnies.

CrunchGriz
December 9th, 2023, 07:06 PM
Yeah, both SDSU and Montana had their hands full with private schools from back east.

CHIP72
December 13th, 2023, 09:21 PM
According to the Sports Media Watch website, the Villanova/South Dakota State game on ESPN attracted almost 1.85 million TV viewers.

The game drew nearly 69% more viewers than the North Dakota State/South Dakota contest on ABC.

Sports Media Watch - Weekly Sports Ratings, December 4-10 (https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/12/weekly-sports-ratings-nfl-nba-in-season-army-navy-mls-cup-viewership/)

JacksFan40
December 13th, 2023, 10:11 PM
According to the Sports Media Watch website, the Villanova/South Dakota State game on ESPN attracted almost 1.85 million TV viewers.

The game drew nearly 69% more viewers than the North Dakota State/South Dakota contest on ABC.

Sports Media Watch - Weekly Sports Ratings, December 4-10 (https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/12/weekly-sports-ratings-nfl-nba-in-season-army-navy-mls-cup-viewership/)
People probably tuned in expecting Villanova basketball.

I’m kidding but it is interesting that the Heisman ceremony only barely beat out SDSU-Villanova.

Also holy crap is the NFL a ratings monster compared to all other sports.