PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Playoffs Round 2: Youngstown State @ #8 Villanova

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2023, 07:11 PM
Game kicks off Saturday 12/2 at 12PM ET and will be streaming on ESPN+. Winner faces the winner of Mercer and South Dakota State.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53357101966_f7d30aab5e_b.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2023, 07:23 PM
My heart says 'Guins my head says 'Nova by 10...

With that said, I remember 1992 and 1997. I really thought the 1997 Wildcat team was destined for 'Nooga. I actually followed 'Nova football closely growing up. I was a weird kid....lol

CHIP72
November 25th, 2023, 07:24 PM
This should be a fun game.

I'm still a little surprised this matchup hasn't (yet) been moved to Friday 12/1 due to Villanova basketball participating in the Philadelphia Big Five Classic at the Wells Fargo Center on Saturday 12/2. If the Wildcats lose to St. Joe's in the Holy War matchup next Wednesday, VU's basketball game in the Big Five Classic will overlap with VU's football game against Youngstown State at Villanova Stadium.

ming01
November 26th, 2023, 12:13 AM
Really like YSU in this one.

Karl Havoc
November 26th, 2023, 12:25 AM
Game kicks off Saturday 12/2 at 12PM ET and will be streaming on ESPN+. Winner faces the winner of Mercer and South Dakota State. I'll post a matchup breakdown tomorrow when the NCAA stats sites updates with today's games.

I appreciate you starting these threads and posting the stats. If I may, I’d recommend adding sacks for/against to your statistical breakdown. Always good to see which teams protect their QB.

Thanks again!

MR. CHICKEN
November 26th, 2023, 06:59 AM
....BAH DUH TIME....DUH ICE CASTLE....MAGPIES......LIGHT UP.....DEY'RE POST BEHAVIOR......DIS THREAD OVERTAKES....DUH LAFFY/UD THREAD......EVEN WHIFF-OUT....ANY WILDCAT CHATTER.......BAWQ!

Paladin1aa
November 26th, 2023, 09:48 AM
YSU and Nova have a history. YSU is 7-2 all time vs Nova. More important, YSU is 3-0 all time in the playoffs vs Nova. Having seen film on Nova, I’d say it will be a close game between the 5th rated MVFC Penguins and Nova , a Tri Champ of the CAA. Massey shows a very close game as well.

Id say the game falls within a FG either way. Scheme wise, Nova shows a team relying more on the pass than the run and a team oriented towards defending the pass but not the run. YSU is more run oriented while showing great balance run/pass. On D, YSU is geared for stopping the run than the pass. Should be interesting. I’m not sure Nova is as physical as YSU and MVFC style football.

Paladin1aa
November 26th, 2023, 09:57 AM
A couple of more numbers for you -

YSU is 29-8 overall in the playoffs. One big thing I see is the difference I see in strength of schedule. Nova is rated as 40th from their weak CAA schedule. YSU is 20th with their tough MVFC schedule with numerous ranked teams.

Nova won part of a championship with a 40 SoS. YSU finished 5th rated in the MVFC with a 20th SoS.

I like YSUs chances.

MR. CHICKEN
November 26th, 2023, 10:06 AM
..........SEE......AH TOLD YA'S........xblahx.........AWK!

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2023, 10:08 AM
Nova is a tricky team to judge

They always look like a juggernaut vs Delaware, their coaching staff owns the Hens. They also can look like Alpo and lose games they shouldn’t be losing.

They have a nice collection of skill players. WR Pringle is fast and his YPC leads all of FCS. Don’t sleep on Hayek, he is probably underrated this year anyway, I’ve always liked him. They also have a Freshman WR who makes big plays. Running game looked great against Delaware, it always does but that might not translate against the Penguidos of Youngstown

interesting game for sure

MR. CHICKEN
November 26th, 2023, 10:14 AM

They always look like a juggernaut vs Delaware, their coaching staff owns the Hens. They also can look like Alpo and lose games they shouldn’t be losing.

They have a nice collection of skill players. WR Pringle is fast and his YPC leads all of FCS. Don’t sleep on Hayek, he is probably underrated this year anyway, I’ve always liked him. They also have a Freshman WR who makes big plays. Running game looked great against Delaware, it always does but that might not translate against the Penguidos of Youngstown

.....TRUE DAT!....MO' ITALIAN RESTIES.....'TWEEN BOREDMAN @ Y-TOWN........DAN......NAPLES...IN DUH OL' COUNTRY...........OH SOLO MIO/AVEY MARIA/DAT'S AMOR-A.......!!

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2023, 10:28 AM
.....TRUE DAT!....MO' ITALIAN RESTIES.....'TWEEN BOREDMAN @ Y-TOWN........DAN......NAPLES...IN DUH OL' COUNTRY...........OH SOLO MIO/AVEY MARIA/DAT'S AMOR-A.......!!

Like trying to sneak a sunrise past a rooster… Mr C doesn't miss nothing

Tribe4SF
November 26th, 2023, 10:45 AM
Id say the game falls within a FG either way. Scheme wise, Nova shows a team relying more on the pass than the run and a team oriented towards defending the pass but not the run. YSU is more run oriented while showing great balance run/pass. On D, YSU is geared for stopping the run than the pass. Should be interesting. I’m not sure Nova is as physical as YSU and MVFC style football.

Certainly don't see your analysis in the season long stats. Almost the exact opposite from what you're seeing except for YSU stopping the run. Nova ran for more yards than they passed for and YSU passed for more than they ran for. Nova's defense pretty effective overall and defended the run well.

Gangtackle11
November 26th, 2023, 02:51 PM

Nova is the team everyone thinks they can beat. Week after week if you go through this forum you’ll find more detractors than supporters. With the exception of UCF & Albany (a real stinker for Nova) the rest have had Ls hung on them. Some are by large margins.

Nova is a very efficient football team when playing well. They are multi-dimensional offensively with 3 versatile 5/6 year RBs & a QB who can hang 100 yards on the ground if the defense isn’t spying him. (He hasn’t run much the past few games as he has been nursing a lower leg injury, but hopefully the week’s reat has helped). The OLine isnt huge by most standards, but are good at zone & trap blocking.

3 All-Conference WRs have seen many 60+ yard TDs. Our QB is 6’3” & strong arm. Early in his career and less this season he was prone to forced interceptions on bad reads. When he is on its a thing of beauty. He can throw 50+ yards on a string.

Defensively, they have played a 3-3-5 for years. They aren’t huge or filled with stars. They are efficient and find ways to get off the field most Saturdays.

We have played SDSU 2x in 2016 & 2021. We lost 10-7 at Brookings in 2016 & 35-21 at Nova. We played them well the 1st time, but SDSU dominated the 2021 game in the trenches.

It will be interesting to see if YSU has that powerful of a team to beat Nova. Weather appears to be clear & high 30s/low 40s. Shouldn’t be a factor unless its windy.

GL YSU fans. Travel safe to the Main Line if you are coming to the game!

xpeacex

The Yo Show
November 26th, 2023, 04:03 PM
....BAH DUH TIME....DUH ICE CASTLE....MAGPIES......LIGHT UP.....DEY'RE POST BEHAVIOR......DIS THREAD OVERTAKES....DUH LAFFY/UD THREAD......EVEN WHIFF-OUT....ANY WILDCAT CHATTER.......BAWQ!

1. What does it matter? If there is a lot of posts it is showing fan engagement?
2. The UD-Lafayette thread is 37 pages and had 363 posts.
3. There is actually 0 chance this thread ends up being that much of a chatterbox, even with you here trying to ensure that it is :D

Paladin1aa
November 26th, 2023, 04:32 PM
A look at Villanova roster - 19 Graduate players, 13 Seniors, 7 transfers. They are an older team. Eastern oriented.

Schedule ? Powerhouses Stony Brook (0-10), North Carolina A T (1-10) , Lehigh (2-9),Towson (5-6), Colgate (6-5), New Hampshire (6-5), Rhode Island(6-5). Patriot League and CAA. Strikes real fear in one’s heart.

Im not sure we should show up. But I think we will !

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2023, 04:50 PM
A look at Villanova roster - 19 Graduate players, 13 Seniors, 7 transfers. They are an older team. Eastern oriented.

Schedule ? Powerhouses Stony Brook (0-10), North Carolina A T (1-10) , Lehigh (2-9),Towson (5-6), Colgate (6-5), New Hampshire (6-5), Rhode Island(6-5). Patriot League and CAA. Strikes real fear in one’s heart.

Im not sure we should show up. But I think we will !

This is why the earlier mentioned stat sheet is worthless

Paladin1aa
November 26th, 2023, 04:50 PM
Way back machine - 1997 NCAA Playoffs. YSU finishes 3rd in the Gateway, the league that becomes the MVFC. Villanova is the #1 seed vs the #8 seed YSU. YSU rolls in that game on its way to another National title.

Hampton, Villanova, Eastern Washington and McNeese all fall to the Penguins.

The Yo Show
November 26th, 2023, 04:51 PM
Nova is the team everyone thinks they can beat. Week after week if you go through this forum you’ll find more detractors than supporters. With the exception of UCF & Albany (a real stinker for Nova) the rest have had Ls hung on them. Some are by large margins.

Nova is a very efficient football team when playing well. They are multi-dimensional offensively with 3 versatile 5/6 year RBs & a QB who can hang 100 yards on the ground if the defense isn’t spying him. (He hasn’t run much the past few games as he has been nursing a lower leg injury, but hopefully the week’s reat has helped). The OLine isnt huge by most standards, but are good at zone & trap blocking.

3 All-Conference WRs have seen many 60+ yard TDs. Our QB is 6’3” & strong arm. Early in his career and less this season he was prone to forced interceptions on bad reads. When he is on its a thing of beauty. He can throw 50+ yards on a string.

Defensively, they have played a 3-3-5 for years. They aren’t huge or filled with stars. They are efficient and find ways to get off the field most Saturdays.

We have played SDSU 2x in 2016 & 2021. We lost 10-7 at Brookings in 2016 & 35-21 at Nova. We played them well the 1st time, but SDSU dominated the 2021 game in the trenches.

It will be interesting to see if YSU has that powerful of a team to beat Nova. Weather appears to be clear & high 30s/low 40s. Shouldn’t be a factor unless its windy.

xpeacex

I predict a close game either way. I wanted to make the trip over with some friends, but my work schedule this week prevents my ability to travel to it. If the game was later and not noon, I would have been able to manage... maybe for the regular season game next year!

The Yo Show
November 26th, 2023, 05:11 PM
Certainly don't see your analysis in the season long stats. Almost the exact opposite from what you're seeing except for YSU stopping the run. Nova ran for more yards than they passed for and YSU passed for more than they ran for. Nova's defense pretty effective overall and defended the run well.

Going game by game total rushing vs passing for Nova:

Nova @ Lehigh: 284 rushing yards vs 128 passing

Colgate @ Nova: 152 rushing vs 310 passing

Nova @ UCF: 84 rushing yards vs 144 passing

Rhode island @ Nova: 287 rushing yards vs 172 passing

Nova @ Albany: 71 rushing yards vs 198 passing

Nova @ NC A&T: 248 rushing vs 289 passing

Elon @ Nova: 440 rushing vs 36 passing

Stony Brook @ Nova: 158 rushing vs 398 passing

Nova @ UNH: 248 rushing vs 188 passing

Towson @ Nova: 255 rushing vs 300 passing

Nova @ Delaware: 227 rushing vs 222 passing

Season total (so far): 2454 rushing vs 2385 passing

Some games Nova passed more some they rushed more. Without having seen many of their games, based on total stats, I would say it appears they do slightly favor the run but are very balanced. Some games I'm not sure if they had the pass or rush shut down or what the weather conditions were that played into some of those final stat lines.

The Yo Show
November 26th, 2023, 05:15 PM

xpeacex

How many sacks has Nova allowed on their QB this year?

Personally, if Nova has an efficient and dangerous pass game I'm concerned. The secondary has been YSUs weakness and unless it seems like YSU can win the battle in the trenches and pressure the QB, it might be a bad matchup for the guins.

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2023, 05:37 PM
How many sacks has Nova allowed on their QB this year?

Personally, if Nova has an efficient and dangerous pass game I'm concerned. The secondary has been YSUs weakness and unless it seems like YSU can win the battle in the trenches and pressure the QB, it might be a bad matchup for the guins.

Be concerned

penguinpower
November 26th, 2023, 05:40 PM
Be concerned

If they run a 3-3-5 we are licking our chops

Paladin1aa
November 26th, 2023, 05:44 PM
Going game by game total rushing vs passing for Nova:

Nova @ Lehigh: 284 rushing yards vs 128 passing

Colgate @ Nova: 152 rushing vs 310 passing

Nova @ UCF: 84 rushing yards vs 144 passing

Rhode island @ Nova: 287 rushing yards vs 172 passing

Nova @ Albany: 71 rushing yards vs 198 passing

Nova @ NC A&T: 248 rushing vs 289 passing

Elon @ Nova: 440 rushing vs 36 passing

Stony Brook @ Nova: 158 rushing vs 398 passing

Nova @ UNH: 248 rushing vs 188 passing

Towson @ Nova: 255 rushing vs 300 passing

Nova @ Delaware: 227 rushing vs 222 passing

Season total (so far): 2454 rushing vs 2385 passing

Some games Nova passed more some they rushed more. Without having seen many of their games, based on total stats, I would say it appears they do slightly favor the run but are very balanced. Some games I'm not sure if they had the pass or rush shut down or what the weather conditions were that played into some of those final stat lines.

I count 6 games they passed for more yards than running. They ran for only 5 more yards vs Delaware. Nearly even then. While season totals show. More run yards, you have to allow for the weak sisters that they played. In a more competitive game, they were throwing. The 2 games they lost they had few run yards but threw heavy.

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2023, 05:44 PM
If they run a 3-3-5 we are licking our chops

Why?

BeamMeUp
November 26th, 2023, 05:45 PM
A quick glance at those stats on page 1 shows Villanova likes to run the ball (#7 in FCS), while YSU has done well stopping the run (#7 in FCS). Strength vs. Strength.

Whoever wins that battle in the trenches wins this one perhaps??? BRAWK!

penguinpower
November 26th, 2023, 05:54 PM
Why?

We can usually run on a 3-3-5. That's what SIU gave us. We beat their asses on the ground.

Paladin1aa
November 26th, 2023, 05:57 PM
Here’s the sack history-

Nova was sacked 22 times and lost 143 yds.

YSU gave up 15 sacks for 95 yds.

Nova has thrown 8 INTs

YSU has thrown 5 INTs

The Yo Show
November 26th, 2023, 09:52 PM
Here’s the sack history-

Nova was sacked 22 times and lost 143 yds.

YSU gave up 15 sacks for 95 yds.

Nova has thrown 8 INTs

YSU has thrown 5 INTs

Thanks pally. I still think this is going to be a good game, but if we can shut the run game down I won't be as concerned about the passing attack provided we can pressure the QB

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2023, 12:16 AM
Haven't read this thread...don't really intend to...sorry Penguin/Wildcat fans, FUBeAR just ain't that into you.

But...since FUBeAR did the research last summer and opened the file for another reason, he thought he would provide some historical data that may interest the peeps posting in this thread...If this has already been posted here or you are uninterested...FUBeAR don't care.

In the 9 prior Playoffs that have utilized the 24 Team / 8 Seeds (with home games AND 1 week rests prior), the record of #8 Seeds vs. Unseeded Opponents, in Round 2, is:

#8 Seeds = 6 WINS and 3 L's
Unseeded = 3 L's and 6 WINS

The Average Score in the 6 #8 Seed WINS has been ~24-~12; a margin of victory of ~12 points.
The Average Score in the 3 Unseeded WINS has been ~32-~21; a margin of victory of ~11 points.

The upsets have been as follows...
In 2019, #8 Seed Central Arkansas (Southland, at the time, FUBeAR believes) lost to unseeded Illinois State (MVFC) 24-14.
In 2017, #8 Seed Southern Utah (Big Sky) lost to unseeded Weber State (also Big Sky) 30-13.
In 2014, #8 Seed Montana (Big Sky) lost to unseeded Coastal Carolina (Big South) 42-35.

CHIP72
November 27th, 2023, 08:11 AM
A quick glance at those stats on page 1 shows Villanova likes to run the ball (#7 in FCS), while YSU has done well stopping the run (#7 in FCS). Strength vs. Strength.

Whoever wins that battle in the trenches wins this one perhaps??? BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN...IS A DELLAWEAR FAN...HE HATES 'NOVA...SPESHLY AFTER...HIS BLUE HENS...ALLWAYS LOSE...TO THE 'CATS...IN THE...BATTEL OF THE BLUUU

DONUT MIX UP...DELLAWEAR...AND...VILLAHNOVAH...BRAWK!!!

Karl Havoc
November 27th, 2023, 09:06 AM
Villanova is favored by 4.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2023, 10:49 AM

xpeacex

Well GT

Elvis has left the building

looks like Priscellanova will have to find a new old rented mule to beat up on

Nova09
November 27th, 2023, 12:39 PM
Well GT

Beating up on Lehigh regularly is also fun, but then they make excuses "PL rules holding us back blah blah blah"

It's more fun to laugh at all your built in advantages and spending just to end up losing to little old catholic school anyway

dbackjon
November 27th, 2023, 01:29 PM
Villanova upholds the CAA's honor

Paladin1aa
November 27th, 2023, 06:48 PM
I’m hearing YSU TE Benio, an HM All MVFC player who missed the Duquesne game with injury may be back for Nova. YSU should be healthy.

Gangtackle11
November 27th, 2023, 07:04 PM
Well GT

Ironically, we have scheduled Youngstown State to a home & home series & now a playoff game. Maybe the beginning of something? xdontknowxxpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2023, 07:24 PM
Beating up on Lehigh regularly is also fun, but then they make excuses "PL rules holding us back blah blah blah"

It's more fun to laugh at all your built in advantages and spending just to end up losing to little old catholic school anyway

Lehigh hasn't had coaching. At least with Coen those games were generally competitive/fun! 2016 and 2017 were great even if Lehigh fell just short! Lately, they haven't been even close to being competitive because the program is in the tank post-Andy.

BeamMeUp
November 27th, 2023, 09:12 PM
Lehigh hasn't had coaching. At least with Coen those games were generally competitive/fun! 2016 and 2017 were great even if Lehigh fell just short! Lately, they haven't been even close to being competitive because the program is in the tank post-Andy.
Are you venturing to Villanova to cheer on YSU?

Nova09
November 28th, 2023, 09:20 AM

I'm guessing he's in Kansas, or if he IS in Philly area it's to watch basketball

Paladin1aa
November 28th, 2023, 10:03 AM
The area was hit with lake effect snow, blowing winds and 25 degrees. Stay warm, Philly, stay warm,lol

ysubigred
November 28th, 2023, 10:52 AM
.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231128/87268fb09db7e6ae94b99271b3405692.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

BeamMeUp
November 29th, 2023, 08:39 PM
Glad to see these two programs match-up in the playoffs, as well as with the upcoming home and home series starting in 2024. The FCS could sure use these two rivals from the 90s to get back into contention again with the exodus of the likes of Delaware and James Madison.

Paladin... what is your crystal ball showing? Can our Penguins beat the Wildcats a 4th straight time in the playoffs? Can our rush defense slow down their loaded rushing attack.

BEAMMEUP

Go...gate
November 29th, 2023, 10:46 PM

Agreed.

Go...gate
November 29th, 2023, 11:04 PM
Bottom line is that it sounds like a hell of a game.

Paladin1aa
November 30th, 2023, 08:57 AM
Beam -

The CAA Champs vs the 5th rated MVFC team ? I like our chances. We saw some of the BEST run teams in the MVFC. We are no slouches in the run game either. If I’m worried, it’s only in defending the pass. That was our only real problem during the year and it was only a problem against Ohio State and #1 SDSU. SIU had a great pass O and we curb stomped them. The pass D depend on how we match up in the trenches, getting a rush, forcing sacks, making the QB run, etc. Otherwise, we match up well.

People tend to forget that you will have some passes completed. That’s going to happen. But if you stop the big play and force them to work, their own mistakes, drops and penalties limit the damage.

We have a solid run D. Our trench warfare there should hold up. The coaches appear confident. Our long time record against Nova and our threats are a problem for them. As the saying goes - we are agile, mobile and hostile. Sic ‘em

Gangtackle11
November 30th, 2023, 09:29 AM
Beam -

The CAA Champs vs the 5th rated MVFC team ? I like our chances. We saw some of the BEST run teams in the MVFC. We are no slouches in the run game either. If I’m worried, it’s only in defending the pass. That was our only real problem during the year and it was only a problem against Ohio State and #1 SDSU. SIU had a great pass O and we curb stomped them. The pass D depend on how we match up in the trenches, getting a rush, forcing sacks, making the QB run, etc. Otherwise, we match up well.

People tend to forget that you will have some passes completed. That’s going to happen. But if you stop the big play and force them to work, their own mistakes, drops and penalties limit the damage.

We have a solid run D. Our trench warfare there should hold up. The coaches appear confident. Our long time record against Nova and our threats are a problem for them. As the saying goes - we are agile, mobile and hostile. Sic ‘em

Anyone from Nova football or fan of the program has a healthy respect for Youngstown State. That said they will show up on Saturday. Nova will be there. See you then.

xpeacex

MR. CHICKEN
November 30th, 2023, 09:50 AM

....HOPE YA'S...DO MO' BETTERAH.....DEN.....LAST NIGHTS.....ROUNB-BALL.....FIASCO!.....BAWK-BUK-BUK-BUK!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2023, 10:19 AM

Sadly no! But, I'll be at "Octagon of Doom" Tuesday night for the K-State vs 'Nova hoops clash!

If I was back East I would seriously consider attending the football game. I think this is going to be a great battle between two evenly matched teams. I do think 'Nova salts it away late in the 4th to advance even though I'm pulling for the 'Guins!

Gangtackle11
November 30th, 2023, 10:20 AM

....HOPE YA'S...DO MO' BETTERAH.....DEN.....LAST NIGHTS.....ROUNB-BALL.....FIASCO!.....BAWK-BUK-BUK-BUK!

Mr. C,

Don’t waste your time here. Not a good night for CUSA hoops with only WKU winning last night over something called Campbellsville? Lol. WKU, FIU, SHSU, La. Tech, & UTEP all losers!!

Now be a good chicken and run along. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2023, 10:33 AM
Beam -

Remember they had a crazy tie breaker between half of the CAA to determine the “champ”

CHIP72
November 30th, 2023, 10:35 AM
The area was hit with lake effect snow, blowing winds and 25 degrees. Stay warm, Philly, stay warm,lol

Philadelphia doesn't get lake effect snow. It (and the rest of the Northeast Megalopolis) occasionally gets nor'easters, which are what create the really large snowfall events in the region.

If you are on the north/west side of the Appalachians, lake effect precipitation is a factor. If you are on the south/east side of the Appalachians, Atlantic Ocean-enhanced precipitation is a factor.

CHIP72
November 30th, 2023, 10:38 AM

Mr. C,

Don’t waste your time here. Not a good night for CUSA hoops with only WKU winning last night over something called Campbellsville? Lol. WKU, FIU, SHSU, La. Tech, & UTEP all losers!!

Now be a good chicken and run along. xpeacex

On a serious note, with Villanova basketball losing last night and now playing in the 2 PM game on Saturday in the Big Five Classic at the Wells Fargo Center (which I plan to attend - I'll be sporting my Big Five sweatshirt and may even bring 6 hats for brotherhood support, though I'll only wear the Drexel, Penn, and St. Joe's hats!), that will likely reduce the attendance at the Youngstown State/Villanova football game on the Main Line.

ysubigred
November 30th, 2023, 11:32 AM
On a serious note, with Villanova basketball losing last night and now playing in the 2 PM game on Saturday in the Big Five Classic at the Wells Fargo Center (which I plan to attend - I'll be sporting my Big Five sweatshirt and may even bring 6 hats for brotherhood support, though I'll only wear the Drexel, Penn, and St. Joe's hats!), that will likely reduce the attendance at the Youngstown State/Villanova football game on the Main Line.We all can't be winners like Y-town round ballers..

CHIP72
November 30th, 2023, 11:43 AM
We all can't be winners like Y-town round ballers..

When exactly has Youngstown State basketball ever been relevant? They’ve NEVER made the NCAA Tournament since moving up to Division I in 1981.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ysubigred
November 30th, 2023, 12:32 PM
When exactly has Youngstown State basketball ever been relevant? They’ve NEVER made the NCAA Tournament since moving up to Division I in 1981.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm just going off W's last night. I'm a believer that IF the ball is round, it isn't a sport..

Actually who gives a ****.. this is a football playoff thread..

Carry on..

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2023, 01:18 PM
Philadelphia doesn't get lake effect snow. It (and the rest of the Northeast Megalopolis) occasionally gets nor'easters, which are what create the really large snowfall events in the region.

If you are on the north/west side of the Appalachians, lake effect precipitation is a factor. If you are on the south/east side of the Appalachians, Atlantic Ocean-enhanced precipitation is a factor.

Lake effect reaches the Poconos and not much further. I grew up about 15 minutes north of Scranton and we dealt with lake effect snow showers and "flurries" quite a bit.

There was a big pile-up on 271 in Northeast Ohio on Tuesday. I-80 in Central and Western PA is notorious is notorious for white out conditions this time of year and in early spring.

Paladin1aa
November 30th, 2023, 03:01 PM
Game notes are out. YSU starters ready to go. Villanova game notes show most of their starters will show up. Good history of both programs but Nova has little to show for the FCS playoffs. YSU has the 4 titles and numerous runner ups . YSU edge is 7-2 all time and 3-0 in the playoffs vs Nova. YSU playoff record is now 30-8 with the win over the Dukes.

Go Guins !

Gangtackle11
November 30th, 2023, 04:46 PM
Game notes are out. YSU starters ready to go. Villanova game notes show most of their starters will show up. Good history of both programs but Nova has little to show for the FCS playoffs. YSU has the 4 titles and numerous runner ups . YSU edge is 7-2 all time and 3-0 in the playoffs vs Nova. YSU playoff record is now 30-8 with the win over the Dukes.

Go Guins !

Teams haven’t played each other since 1999. Our 5th & 6th year players were in diapers maybe.

Nova current OC Chris Boden was the Cats QB that day. Current & interim YSU President Helen Lafferty was a 40 year faculty member at Villanova.

xpeacex

penguinpower
November 30th, 2023, 06:11 PM
Teams haven’t played each other since 1999. Our 5th & 6th year players were in diapers maybe.

Nova current OC Chris Boden was the Cats QB that day. Current & interim YSU President Helen Lafferty was a 40 year faculty member at Villanova.

xpeacex

Nova' s current head coach and YSU's current head coach were on the staff's of the their current teams when Nova and YSU played each other in the 90's.

That's a neat tidbit of information.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2023, 07:00 PM
I have to think the 1997 meeting is one of the more important games in both programs history? #1 and undefeated Villanova was loaded that year while YSU was slightly under the radar having lost two Gateway Conferences games. With that said, they were highly ranked all year so the Wildcats caught a bit of a bad quarterfinal draw. The 'Guins rolled their playoff momentum all the way to the national championship.

The Yo Show
November 30th, 2023, 07:13 PM

I think Paladin was referring to the Lake effect snow that hit Ytown area / Northeast Ohio on the day he made the post (we had lake effect snow this week).

Paladin1aa
November 30th, 2023, 07:37 PM
I have to think the 1997 meeting is one of the more important games in both programs history? #1 and undefeated Villanova was loaded that year while YSU was slightly under the radar having lost two Gateway Conferences games. With that said, they were highly ranked all year so the Wildcats caught a bit of a bad quarterfinal draw. The 'Guins rolled their playoff momentum all the way to the national championship.

That was another year where we’re not picked to win it, yet the team was solid. YSU finished 3rd in the Gateway , soon to be the MVFC , behind Western Illinois and Northern Iowa. We have had at least 3 other teams better than this years edition that didn’t get in. Had they gotten in, all would had made deep runs, maybe to other titles. A fourth team who didn’t get an invite was similar to this years team. But , we must yield to the wussies of FCS, playing no one in weak schedules , poor strength of schedules and jokes of competitive ability. With a playoff record of now 30-8, no one wants YSU in. The exposure to reality is more than many can bear.

Redbird 4th & short
November 30th, 2023, 08:01 PM
But his point was based on SOS along with his premise that MVFC interior play is tougher than CAA. So the season long stats come down to SOS.

In 2019, my ISUr was supposedly last team in playoffs - many said we didn't deserve a bid as 4th MVFC team in, and MVFC was down that year .. not so. We dominated at SEMO ranked 15 and then UCA ranked 12 with no QB, based on our line play. Yes, we had stud RM James Robinson .. but he ran so easily compared to most MVFC games. It was like he got out of jail. In last game against YSU .. who was not good that year, he got just 22 carries 82 yards. Then at SEMO he got 41 carries 297 yards. Then at UCS he got 37 carries for 210 yards. It was so easy despite our backup QB only throwing 9 passes per game. He never exceed 180 yds in regular season. His best games were in playoffs or nonconf. They new he was running most plays, our our line play just opened bigger holes.

Anyway, Villanova looks legit, but they didn't play a lot of tough teams. They did in fact win impressively most games .. and that says something. Richmond played noone and didn't win many impressively. So Villanova may be legit tough, and still not be as ready for a grind as YSU is, even if they are a better team. And YSU has skill guys too. But their defense is not great. So we shall see if Villanova is ready to grind one out.

Rooting for my MVFC homies, but this is a tough one for YSU to win on road. Villanova took care of business against a weaker schedule. If YSU wins, it will be mainly because they are better prepared for tough game. Still, my gut says Villanova will win this game, but won't be at all surprised if YSU does.

penguinpower
December 1st, 2023, 04:38 AM
But his point was based on SOS along with his premise that MVFC interior play is tougher than CAA. So the season long stats come down to SOS.

In 2019, my ISUr was supposedly last team in playoffs - many said we didn't deserve a bid as 4th MVFC team in, and MVFC was down that year .. not so. We dominated at SEMO ranked 15 and then UCA ranked 12 with no QB, based on our line play. Yes, we had stud RM James Robinson .. but he ran so easily compared to most MVFC games. It was like he got out of jail. In last game against YSU .. who was not good that year, he got just 22 carries 82 yards. Then at SEMO he got 41 carries 297 yards. Then at UCS he got 37 carries for 210 yards. It was so easy despite our backup QB only throwing 9 passes per game. He never exceed 180 yds in regular season. His best games were in playoffs or nonconf. They new he was running most plays, our our line play just opened bigger holes.

Anyway, Villanova looks legit, but they didn't play a lot of tough teams. They did in fact win impressively most games .. and that says something. Richmond played noone and didn't win many impressively. So Villanova may be legit tough, and still not be as ready for a grind as YSU is, even if they are a better team. And YSU has skill guys too. But their defense is not great. So we shall see if Villanova is ready to grind one out.

Rooting for my MVFC homies, but this is a tough one for YSU to win on road. Villanova took care of business against a weaker schedule. If YSU wins, it will be mainly because they are better prepared for tough game. Still, my gut says Villanova will win this game, but won't be at all surprised if YSU does.

100% this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

YSU doesn't play as well on the road. The home field advantage is also going to be real for Villanova, unless YSU figures that out. YSU plays far better at home (except SDSU where they game plan was ****ty and they chased points).

YSU must do better on the road to be able to knock off Villanova. However, YSU has legitimate game experience in tight games where you have to grind it out and the game comes down to the final seconds. That's like every week in the MVFC.

The Yo Show
December 1st, 2023, 05:43 AM
Link to YSU twitter space discussing this matchup (as well as other FCS news):
https://twitter.com/WeAreYoungstown/status/1730391387353272668?t=VfPU3trH5KutAR2bCH350g&s=19

CHIP72
December 1st, 2023, 07:04 AM
YSU doesn't play as well on the road. The home field advantage is also going to be real for Villanova, unless YSU figures that out. YSU plays far better at home (except SDSU where they game plan was ****ty and they chased points).

One minor thing that should be noted is Youngstown State's game at Villanova is a much shorter trip than most/all of their MVFC road games.

Paladin1aa
December 1st, 2023, 07:50 AM
One minor thing that should be noted is Youngstown State's game at Villanova is a much shorter trip than most/all of their MVFC road games.

True. We usually fly for our MVFC games. A bus trip is rare, very rare.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2023, 08:51 AM
True. We usually fly for our MVFC games. A bus trip is rare, very rare.

You’re busing to Philadelphia?

game over

Paladin1aa
December 1st, 2023, 10:07 AM
You’re busing to Philadelphia?

game over

Just saying bus trips here are rare. If we played Kent St or Akron, a bus trip of 45 minutes to an hour would be typical. We fly otherwise. Philly isn’t a trip to Fargo or Brookings. Marriott Philadelphia West is home.

VUCats02
December 2nd, 2023, 09:38 AM
It’s a very strange take and angle but I do believe how crappy Nova’s football stadium is, and having < 6,000 people in attendance for a home playoff football game, is actually a huge advantage playing against teams who are used to playing in more traditional stadiums in front of more people. The noise won’t be a factor, but Nova plays extremely well at home every year as they are used to such a lack of attendance. I think other teams who come in are a little thrown off at how bad the crowd atmosphere is for an FCS playoff game.

Along the lines of what previous people have stated, a regular season neutral court game against Drexel at 2:00 at Wells Fargo Center is a much more important event than this playoff game for 90 to 95% of Villanova fans and that is not an exaggeration.

CHIP72
December 2nd, 2023, 11:02 AM
It’s a very strange take and angle but I do believe how crappy Nova’s football stadium is, and having < 6,000 people in attendance for a home playoff football game, is actually a huge advantage playing against teams who are used to playing in more traditional stadiums in front of more people. The noise won’t be a factor, but Nova plays extremely well at home every year as they are used to such a lack of attendance. I think other teams who come in are a little thrown off at how bad the crowd atmosphere is for an FCS playoff game.

Along the lines of what previous people have stated, a regular season neutral court game against Drexel at 2:00 at Wells Fargo Center is a much more important event than this playoff game for 90 to 95% of Villanova fans and that is not an exaggeration.

If VU’s game with Youngstown State had been moved to Friday night, there’s a good chance I would have tried to head up to the Main Line, even with the 2 1/2 hour trip. But with this game overlapping with the Big Five Classic tripleheader, for which I already bought tickets, there was no way I was headed to Villanova Stadium today, even if the Wildcats had played later in the day at the Wells Fargo Center. (Villanova basketball actually ranks last in my pecking order among the Philadelphia area teams, though I still root them and always attend at least one game per season, usually their game at Georgetown.)

Paladin1aa
December 2nd, 2023, 11:03 AM
Boom - kick teams on target

Paladin1aa
December 2nd, 2023, 11:07 AM
Nova scores. 7-0

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 11:11 AM
#17 for YSU lost contain on that third and long deep in the Villanova end of the field. Trained ****ing monkeys can play D end. That drive is on him. Freaking drives me crazy when I see D ends bite like that and lose the edge.

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2023, 11:11 AM
Nova scores. 7-0
Wow - saw more than a few effort issues on YSU’s D on that drive. How can you be just going thru the motions on the 1st series of a Playoff game?

Strange.

The Yo Show
December 2nd, 2023, 11:24 AM
Fubear, two questions for you unrelated to this game:

1. How did you become a fan of Furman and Mercer?
2. Who would you root for if they play each other?

Paladin1aa
December 2nd, 2023, 11:32 AM
YSU INT of Nova.

YSU FG

Nova 7-3

The Yo Show
December 2nd, 2023, 11:34 AM
I notice they are running Rushton more than Tyshon

Paladin1aa
December 2nd, 2023, 11:36 AM
Farthing TD pass.

YSU 10-7

Paladin1aa
December 2nd, 2023, 11:39 AM
Don’t be surprised if you see Davidson running. 3 man rush and 8 man zone leaves big holes for a QB on fake or tuck and run passes

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 11:41 AM
Gawd. Terrible call on that late hit. I have seen harder mosquito bites.

Christiank22
December 2nd, 2023, 11:41 AM
What the hell was that flag.

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 11:44 AM
Another blown play by a YSU D End.

Paladin1aa
December 2nd, 2023, 11:45 AM
Nova short run TD, but they struggled to do it

Nova 14-10

UNHWildcat18
December 2nd, 2023, 11:45 AM
TD Villanova up 14-10 11:36 left in the half

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2023, 11:55 AM
Christmas Day for Youngstown

SeattleCat
December 2nd, 2023, 11:56 AM
That wasn't Targeting.

Born a Rabbit
December 2nd, 2023, 11:57 AM
it will be disgusting if they throw this kid out of the game for this hit

caribbeanhen
That wasn't Targeting.

A gift

Born a Rabbit
thank gosh

Born a Rabbit
December 2nd, 2023, 11:58 AM
how many more times today will this moron say neck roll football? over under on 75 for one half plus a few minutes of football

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2023, 11:59 AM
Should have upheld that. No need to do anything other than a standard tackle on that play.

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 12:01 PM
Gutless. Go for it on 4th and short at the 35. Weak assed ****.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 12:04 PM
OMG...how does someone get that open down the middle?!?!

MR. CHICKEN
December 2nd, 2023, 12:07 PM
VILLANOVA 21
Y-TOWN 10

ysubigred
December 2nd, 2023, 12:08 PM
Sitting here in person watching this. V is manhandled the guins in the tranches..

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 12:12 PM
Sitting here in person watching this. V is manhandled the guins in the tranches..

If YSU can execute on offense more consistently there's plenty of yards to be had.

ysubigred
December 2nd, 2023, 12:13 PM
If YSU can execute on offense more consistently there's plenty of yards to be had.YSU isn't ready for prime time.. too small too many mistakes.

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 12:13 PM
How was that not PI on that deep ball by YSU.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 12:14 PM
YSU with weird play calling, mistakes and Tomczak is starting to get rattled even when he has room to move around.

ysubigred
December 2nd, 2023, 12:14 PM
How was that not PI on that deep ball by YSU.As usual, we need to beat the refs and a team.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2023, 12:17 PM
Stupid track

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 12:18 PM
Stupid track

Yup! He slid then looks like his cleet got stuck in the pores in the track which tweaked his knee...

SoDakSA
December 2nd, 2023, 12:19 PM
Can someone please let the broadcast crew know that "neck roll football" might not be the most up-to-date reference.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2023, 12:20 PM
Can someone please let the broadcast crew know that "neck roll football" might not be the most up-to-date reference.

I've never heard it and I'm collecting Social Security...

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 12:22 PM
JFC YSU. Nice freaking series before the end of the half.

SoDakSA
December 2nd, 2023, 12:23 PM
I've never heard it and I'm collecting Social Security...

I think the last active NFL player was Moose Johnston for the Cowboys back in the mid-90s, right?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 12:23 PM

Must be a big fan of Villanova alum Howie Long. He loved to rock the roll!

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_editorial_landscape_mobile/f_auto/raiders/e52dguvuwchi5bdcu8ih.jpg

SoDakSA
December 2nd, 2023, 12:45 PM
Now they are just trolling me.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 12:47 PM
YSU has to commit to the run imo.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 12:49 PM
Tomczak is lost out there. A 'Nova TD here and the 'Guins are in deep trouble. They had to be able to run. Not riding the QB's arm to a win....

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 12:51 PM
Gawd. Hideous PI CALL.

stuperman17
December 2nd, 2023, 12:53 PM
Agreed there was no PI at all. Phantom call

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 12:53 PM
TD 'Nova. This might get ugly....

'Nova 28-10 10:44 3Q

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 12:58 PM
YSU might want to get a little more urgent here

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 12:59 PM
Ok. This neck roll football reference is beyond annoying. Had an ESPN announcer do the same thing at a Bison game in the playoffs. I wonder if it is the same guy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 01:00 PM
YSU might want to get a little more urgent here

I think they're in a tough spot. Still enough time to try and wear out the 'Nova D and give their own D a chance to regroup. YSU is not going to ride Tomczak's arm to a win. Still need to run...

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 01:01 PM
Terrible 4th down play call and gets bailed out by the refs. 😆

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 01:04 PM
'Guins got some much needed points. Defense needs a stop to keep them in it. If this is a 2 possession game going into the 4th YSU should consider themselves lucky...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 01:10 PM
82 continues to torch the YSU secondary. Beat two guys that time.....yikes...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 01:13 PM
'Nova matches the 'Guin FG. YSU had them at 3rd and 10 but the secondary can't cover. YSU needs TDs now...

UNHWildcat18
December 2nd, 2023, 01:18 PM
31-10 Villanova. Still a quarter to play. Hope Nova can finish strong!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 01:19 PM
#10 for YSU just dropped a TD...4th down coming up...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 01:21 PM
Sack on 4th down. Tomczak has to at least unload the ball. This one is nearing curtains...

The Yo Show
December 2nd, 2023, 01:27 PM
And that'll do it

Gangtackle11
December 2nd, 2023, 01:29 PM
On to Brookings……Congrats on a nice season YSU. xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 01:29 PM
TD 'Nova!

Wildcats are damn good. They have a lot of athletes! Their strength and condition program is not your typical FCS outfit given the resources the athletic department has. Time to go get some work done done then re-engage in an hour or so for Bobcats/Bison and the stretch run of some of these other games...

UNHWildcat18
December 2nd, 2023, 01:33 PM
Man had to hear so much about the big tough depth of the MVFC all week, great job by Villanova to quiet some of that down. Also way to rep the CAA!

FU_Paladin08
December 2nd, 2023, 01:43 PM
Always nice to have one less Valley team.

ytownchief22
December 2nd, 2023, 01:45 PM
Anybody who thought YSU had a chance to win this game needs to take off the red colored glasses off. They have the worst assistant coaches in FCS. Have no game plan and no idea what they're doing. Bunch of weenies who may be qualified to coach D2 or D3 led by a high school principal. The program is irrelevant.

VUCats02
December 2nd, 2023, 01:46 PM
Dominant performance! Yardage difference was 430 to 190 before the garbage yards, when score was 38-13 early in 4th quarter. South Dakota St will be 10+ point favorites but glad business was taken care of today.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2023, 01:56 PM
That Nova RB should have saved that Penguino walk for next week

The Yo Show
December 2nd, 2023, 02:05 PM
The defensive line, the lb, and the running back all perfected the penguin dance

VUCats02
December 2nd, 2023, 02:06 PM
The announcers just said don’t discount Mercer, they are in a barn burner currently with SDSU……uhhhhhhh what?

The Yo Show
December 2nd, 2023, 02:10 PM
The announcers were terrible, the penguins were terrible. Only thing good about that game was Villanova.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2023, 02:16 PM
Man had to hear so much about the big tough depth of the MVFC all week, great job by Villanova to quiet some of that down. Also way to rep the CAA!

Lets keep it classy, it wasn't that long ago that it was CAA fans who were just as bad and UNH was the committee favorite. xthumbsupx

CHIP72
December 2nd, 2023, 02:19 PM
Couldn’t watch the game, but good win for the Wildcats.

The VU football team is playing better than the VU basketball team today! [emoji44]

Paladin1aa
December 2nd, 2023, 02:46 PM
First off, congrats to Nova. We got beat by a better team. Their reward is to face the big dogs, er… Jack Rabbits of SDSU. Go Bunnies !

my pregame fears happened - our poor secondary cost us. Ditto our usual good run game was missing, making us a one dimension team. Our pass game could have been better, as we dropped passes, but no run game was a major loss. And I’ll add, we got out coached. They were well prepared. We were not.

Next up recruiting. Need a QB ( or two) and some other pieces but have a lot coming back. Please avoid recruiting in the Valley. Please

penguinpower
December 2nd, 2023, 03:40 PM
YSU was the 5th ranked team in the MVFC vs the CAA conference champion. Buckle up for an anal rape that happens to Nova next week.

UNHWildcat18
December 2nd, 2023, 05:12 PM
YSU was the 5th ranked team in the MVFC vs the CAA conference champion. Buckle up for an anal rape that happens to Nova next week.

Honorable choice of words…. also Villanova was 1 of like 4 champions. It’s what happens when you have such a large bloated conference. Sadly

Gangtackle11
December 2nd, 2023, 05:45 PM
Congrats on your season Penguin Nation. We’ll see you in the 2024 regular season.

Agree on horrible choice of words from the one YSU poster.

Nova is the team you hate to lose to & sometimes evokes horrible statements like the one above because you walk away thinking how much better you thought your team would do. 12 games into this season only FBS Central Florida & Albany have enjoyed a win.

Nova knows all too well about the JackRabbits having played them in 2016 & 2021.
South Dakota State is a tremendous team, but we’ll show up. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2023, 05:59 PM
Be concerned

Well I said it

Nova QB looked like he was tossing the ball around in the backyard all day

BeamMeUp
December 2nd, 2023, 06:07 PM
Villanova was simply the better team. Congrats to the Wildcats on pretty dominating win over my Penguins. YSU needs to beef up certain areas of this team in the off-season. Phillips has only picked up a few guys in portal like McLaughlin and King, but he needs to go after a handful this off-season to get this team in a position to compete for a playoff run. If not on August 29th we will be talking about Nova beating us by double digits yet again.

Nova09
December 2nd, 2023, 06:19 PM

38-13 in the 4th is not so different than what SDSU did to you. Don't get me wrong, they ARE better than us, they SHOULD beat us, and I FULLY EXPECT to lose.

But, yotes barely beat you, uni barely beat you, ndsu didn't play so don't know what to think, but I'm pretty sure we'd be the 2nd best mvfc team. Obviously no way to know without playing a full schedule, but this "1st vs 5th" is just silly. We whooped you, who cares what the rest of our conferences did?

Were you on the mvfc bandwagon that no one outside the conference could run on such a strong conference? Yeah 20 something minutes into the game we didn't pass at all and were already dominating. No team outside mvfc can stop that conference's pure running strength? Hmmmm, didn't go so well.

I also love the mockery our 3-3-5 gets from ooc foes, as if we haven't been an elite defense for most of the past 30 years running that.

To every other pens* fan, looking forward to a solid home and home! Good for historically strong somewhat regional fcs to make this happen.

* not the hockey pens fans, they can f right off

penguinpower
December 2nd, 2023, 09:35 PM
I didn't watch the game because I knew that YSU wasn't going to win. If you look at my posts, I figured it would be a good game if YSU could grind it out against Nova. Apparently that didn't happen. That was the best case. In my opinion, playoff don't matter unless you can beat the best team, which YSU couldn't. YSU could play SDSU this year 100 times and they would lose every game. I hope that Nova can be competitive against SDSU. All I'm saying is that I don't think anyone can beat SDSU so for me I don't think YSU deserved the playoffs. YSU is a top 20 team but the gap between YSU and SDSU is huge. In addition, YSU is a very young team with most of the players returning next year. They need a QB and some difference makers on the LOS in addition to better defensive coaches. I'm not upset that YSU lost, I expected it. I can only say that I was hoping for a more competitive game.

That being said, get ready for a machine that could beat every team in the B1G west, the Sunbelt, and the AAC. SDSU is ridiculously good.

Delaware is is the team I bitch about. They didn't deserve to be there last year nor this year.

Redbird 4th & short
December 2nd, 2023, 10:14 PM
38-13 in the 4th is not so different than what SDSU did to you. Don't get me wrong, they ARE better than us, they SHOULD beat us, and I FULLY EXPECT to lose.

But, yotes barely beat you, uni barely beat you, ndsu didn't play so don't know what to think, but I'm pretty sure we'd be the 2nd best mvfc team. Obviously no way to know without playing a full schedule, but this "1st vs 5th" is just silly. We whooped you, who cares what the rest of our conferences did?

Were you on the mvfc bandwagon that no one outside the conference could run on such a strong conference? Yeah 20 something minutes into the game we didn't pass at all and were already dominating. No team outside mvfc can stop that conference's pure running strength? Hmmmm, didn't go so well.

I also love the mockery our 3-3-5 gets from ooc foes, as if we haven't been an elite defense for most of the past 30 years running that.

To every other pens* fan, looking forward to a solid home and home! Good for historically strong somewhat regional fcs to make this happen.

* not the hockey pens fans, they can f right off

You guys are good and deserved a seed. But I don't know how you make the leap to being 2nd best in MVFC based on playing 1 game against YSU at home.

Nova09
December 2nd, 2023, 10:29 PM
You guys are good and deserved a seed. But I don't know how you make the leap to being 2nd best in MVFC based on playing 1 game against YSU at home.

Meh, maybe we aren't that good. How would I know? How would you know? How would ANYONE know?

It's the ysu posters (not just the one I responded to) who keep making this about conference instead of the 2 teams playing. Somehow being 5th in conference and only losing by a little to "1st" actually 3 way tie in other conference would prove something. IDC what our conference does, I want to win. And now that it wasn't close, it's STILL about conference, because the NEXT opponent from your conference will prove how we don't deserve to be here...or something. We SHOULD lose, it's the #1 undefeated reigning champ. Will that make ysu fans proud? I doubt we lose 34-0, but wo knows,.maybe we lose worse. Does that have ANYTHING to do withhow.much better han YSU we are? Our ability to run on YSU? YSU ability to run on us?

penguinpower
December 3rd, 2023, 05:58 AM
Do have a Napoleon complex or something? Nice win by Nova, but the matchup with YSU favored Nova, just as YSU's matchup with SIU flavored YSU.

Next week you get to see how you stack up. The MVFC is a better conference period. You will be tested every which way. That is exactly why the MVFC conference champion is more often than not the National Champion.

Next we you will play the MVFC with no weaknesses. Then you get to see how you stack up. No one has had a favorable matchup with SDSU. I doubt Nova will have a good matchup.

The CAA is a weak conference outside of Nova and Albany. Delaware is a pretender and the beta male over at Stats FCS poll is constantly on his knees with Delaware. The depth of the MVFC makes the conference far more competitive.

Personally, I would like to see YSU go to the CAA because a lot of the games are closer to YSU and the top 3 teams are almost always guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. There are 2 ways to find out how you stack up, a gruelling MVFC schedule or the playoffs. I prefer playoffs because the probability of remaining healthy with 63 scholarships in the MVFC is low. You need some oil money for NIL to get the depth. Not sure how that factors for SDSU, but I wouldn't be surprised. They are a machine and they are deep.

Pards Rule
December 3rd, 2023, 07:05 AM
That Nova RB should have saved that Penguino walk for next week

Sing with me: "Waddle like a penquin"...wow has it been like 35 years Bangles??

Nova09
December 3rd, 2023, 08:03 AM
Do have a Napoleon complex or something? Nice win by Nova, but the matchup with YSU favored Nova, just as YSU's matchup with SIU flavored YSU.

Next week you get to see how you stack up. The MVFC is a better conference period. You will be tested every which way. That is exactly why the MVFC conference champion is more often than not the National Champion.

Next we you will play the MVFC with no weaknesses. Then you get to see how you stack up. No one has had a favorable matchup with SDSU. I doubt Nova will have a good matchup.

The CAA is a weak conference outside of Nova and Albany. Delaware is a pretender and the beta male over at Stats FCS poll is constantly on his knees with Delaware. The depth of the MVFC makes the conference far more competitive.

Personally, I would like to see YSU go to the CAA because a lot of the games are closer to YSU and the top 3 teams are almost always guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. There are 2 ways to find out how you stack up, a gruelling MVFC schedule or the playoffs. I prefer playoffs because the probability of remaining healthy with 63 scholarships in the MVFC is low. You need some oil money for NIL to get the depth. Not sure how that factors for SDSU, but I wouldn't be surprised. They are a machine and they are deep.

We seem to be talking about 2 different things. I KNOW.mvfc is better and I EXPECT sdsu to win (against us, against everyone). What I don't know ow is why a few ysu fans kept bringing that up.

For example, if nova basketball were about to play Gonzaga, I wouldn't be talking about their conferene, I'd be talking about the players we would actually play against (Please ignore that we can't even be the lesser schools of philadelphia)

penguinpower
December 3rd, 2023, 10:33 AM
We seem to be talking about 2 different things. I KNOW.mvfc is better and I EXPECT sdsu to win (against us, against everyone). What I don't know ow is why a few ysu fans kept bringing that up.

For example, if nova basketball were about to play Gonzaga, I wouldn't be talking about their conferene, I'd be talking about the players we would actually play against (Please ignore that we can't even be the lesser schools of philadelphia)

I agree with you here

ysubigred
December 3rd, 2023, 12:46 PM

For example, if nova basketball were about to play Gonzaga, I wouldn't be talking about their conferene, I'd be talking about the players we would actually play against (Please ignore that we can't even be the lesser schools of philadelphia)I agree.. actually, WGAF.. Nova kicked the **** out of the flightless birds, and these dumb asses just need to move on.

Good luck next week. I think you all will be in the game.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2023, 05:48 PM
I agree.. actually, WGAF.. Nova kicked the **** out of the flightless birds, and these dumb asses just need to move on.

Good luck next week. I think you all will be in the game.

they did kind of a close up of the Youngstown contingent

Saw a late 50s looking guy with white beard and it was thinking that’s either Santa or BigRed

ysubigred
December 3rd, 2023, 05:58 PM
they did kind of a close up of the Youngstown contingent

Saw a late 50s looking guy with white beard and it was thinking that’s either Santa or BigRedLOL.. no white beard.. no gut either still SAM LB sized.. yes, last year of 50s.. ur wise ole caribbeanhen..