PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Playoffs Round 2: North Dakota State @ #6 Montana State

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2023, 05:24 PM
Game kicks off Saturday 12/2 at 1PM MT and will be streaming on ESPN+. Winner faces the winner of Sacramento State and South Dakota.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53357559525_afe6d6e9e4_b.jpg

Born a Rabbit
November 25th, 2023, 06:07 PM
this is the clear game of the week next week. at the beginning of the year if anyone would have said these teams were playing in the playoffs, everyone would have bet it was a final four game. bummer this one will be starting during the jacks game. i expect it will be an interesting one to watch and i believe the winner will be favored in the quarterfinal contest a week later.

100% rooting for the bison and an all MVFC contest/ rematch in the quarterfinal, but MSU is way better than they showed last week and i bet they come out with a chip on their shoulder next week after getting embarassed last week and Sac St showed they mean business today too and it will be two close and interesting games in this quarter of the bracket

POD Knows
November 25th, 2023, 07:59 PM
NDSU better shore up the middle of their D between the tackles or this is gonna be a long game. Bison O looks good but that D, wow, I don't know.

2wagriz
November 25th, 2023, 08:08 PM
Neighbors play very tight against good D's. If NDSU cant shore up the seam the neighbors will feast

Chalupa Batman
November 25th, 2023, 08:25 PM
NDSU better shore up the middle of their D between the tackles or this is gonna be a long game. Bison O looks good but that D, wow, I don't know.

Completely agree. People are getting fooled by the last 3 weeks against poor running teams and inferior competition. The Bobcats are going to run all over us next week. But our offense is going to move the ball on them as well, I see a close game where both teams score in the 30's

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2023, 09:16 PM
Completely agree. People are getting fooled by the last 3 weeks against poor running teams and inferior competition. The Bobcats are going to run all over us next week. But our offense is going to move the ball on them as well, I see a close game where both teams score in the 30's
Yup - my thoughts exactly. Teams that can run the ball can exploit the Bison defense and I worry that's what we're going to see Saturday in Bozeman. However, Cam Miller is playing fantastic football right now and if he keeps that up they can score with anyone in the FCS. There's a reason Montana St has won 26 straight home games. This is not a good matchup for the Bison defense and the Bobcats will have had 2 weeks to stew on their buttkicking they got in Missoula... hoping the Bison can channel the same vibes they had in 2010 going into Bozeman.

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2023, 09:24 PM
Dammit! I missed making this poll public like I did the other round 2 games. I guess if you want to make your pick known in this one you'll just have to post it in the thread.

Bisonator
November 25th, 2023, 09:25 PM
Bobcats will run all over us. Gonna need our offense to win this game.

BisonFan02
November 25th, 2023, 11:11 PM
C A T S! Bobcats

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2023, 12:45 AM
The only interesting game of this week.

SeattleCat
November 26th, 2023, 07:59 AM
I have 0 confidence in our coordinators putting together a coherent game plan. If we don't out talent you by a lot we struggle due to enept gameplanning.

JacksFan40
November 26th, 2023, 08:18 AM
Certain Bisonville users will be conflicted between cheering for NDSU versus cheering for Matt Entz to get fired so they can hire Brent Vigen.

ming01
November 26th, 2023, 08:39 AM
Well worried about MSUs run game, but I think we can be okay enough to get the job done. Need to sellout against the run. Cam Miller is playing very confident ball and our receivers have been playmakers lately. Probably cones down to turnovers and converting in redzone.

POD Knows
November 26th, 2023, 08:39 AM
Certain Bisonville users will be conflicted between cheering for NDSU versus cheering for Matt Entz to get fired so they can hire Brent Vigen.
I am out on Vigen. NDSU needs better recruits on D and maybe a closer look at a DC. Never really understood the Petrino hire as I was never impressed with any D he ran.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2023, 09:09 AM

Idaho/SIU will be closer than expected

Hammerhead
November 26th, 2023, 09:10 AM
This is a tough one to predict since the Bison have looked so bad in their three losses. NDSU only played 2 games outdoors during the regular season with two road games in domes.

robsnotes4u
November 26th, 2023, 10:20 AM

Vigen’s next move will not be lateral. He will get picked up by an FBS team, maybe Wyoming if Bohl retires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christiank22
November 26th, 2023, 11:57 AM
Should be an interesting game. I think NDSU pulls it out though. Only way Mt State wins is if they realize their savior Tommy whatever his name is actually kind of sucks and they go with Chambers and start throwing the ball.

The Cats
November 26th, 2023, 12:02 PM
North Dakota State

NDSU1980
November 26th, 2023, 02:30 PM
Massey has NDSU winning by one point, 31-30 but only 52% chance. https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/5545

Grizzlies82
November 26th, 2023, 04:32 PM
I think our little brother MSU wins a tight one. This isn't your grandfather's Buick, nor a representative National Championship Buffalos team.

I see the bobcats with the edge. Obviously an outdoor game. A hostile home field advantage. Coach Vegan understands NDSU's schemes as well as anyone. All the msu coaches have had the past two weeks to prepare for the match up. Don't think it will be easy but suspect MT State wins. As Chalupa Batman stated above, both teams probably scoring in the 30's seems likely.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2023, 12:51 AM
Haven't read this thread...don't really intend to...sorry Bison/Bobcat fans, FUBeAR just ain't that into you.

But...since FUBeAR did the research last summer and opened the file for another reason, he thought he would provide some historical data that may interest the peeps posting in this thread...If this has already been posted here or you are uninterested...FUBeAR don't care.

In the 9 prior Playoffs that have utilized the 24 Team / 8 Seeds (with home games AND 1 week rests prior), the record of #6 Seeds vs. Unseeded Opponents in Round 2 is:

#6 Seeds = 6 WINS and 3 L's
Unseeded = 3 L's and 6 WINS

The Average Score in the 6 #6 Seed WINS has been ~47-~32; a margin of victory of ~15 points.
The Average Score in the 3 Unseeded WINS has been ~26-~10; a margin of victory of ~16 points.

#6 Seeds have 'held serve' in Round 2 in the 5 most recent 24/8 Playoffs.

The upsets have been as follows...
In 2016, #6 Seed The Citadel (SoCon) lost to unseeded Wofford (also SoCon) 17-3.
In 2015, #6 Seed Portland State (Big Sky) lost to unseeded Northern Iowa (MVFC) 29-17.
In 2013, #6 Seed McNeese (Southland) lost to unseeded Jacksonville State (OVC) 31-10.

Karl Havoc
November 27th, 2023, 09:12 AM
Montana State is favored by 1.

Houndawg
November 27th, 2023, 10:05 AM
Montana State is favored by 1.

I'll take Bison peaking at the right time for 200, Alex

Bison56
November 27th, 2023, 01:00 PM
I think our little brother MSU wins a tight one. This isn't your grandfather's Buick, nor a representative National Championship Buffalos team.

I see the bobcats with the edge. Obviously an outdoor game. A hostile home field advantage. Coach Vegan understands NDSU's schemes as well as anyone. All the msu coaches have had the past two weeks to prepare for the match up. Don't think it will be easy but suspect MT State wins. As Chalupa Batman stated above, both teams probably scoring in the 30's seems likely.

The schemes have changed considerably since Vegin was on the staff.

dbackjon
November 27th, 2023, 01:26 PM
Montana State in a close one.

fencer24
November 27th, 2023, 05:04 PM
If NDSU doesn't get the ball first and score, they will be in trouble. That's what the Griz did and the Cats were not able to answer.

dewey
November 27th, 2023, 08:44 PM
The schemes have changed considerably since Vegin was on the staff.

Agreed. Vixen was last part of the NDSU team in 2012 and with considerable coaching/scheme change since then I can't imagine that Vigen has too much insider knowledge. Considering how badly NDSU has beaten MSU the last few times perhaps any "insider" knowledge Vigen has is not very good.

My prediction
NDSU 34
MSU 30

Dewey

SeattleCat
November 28th, 2023, 02:14 PM
The game has sold out so at there will be a good crowd there.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2023, 11:29 AM
Montana State in a close one

I feel Bison can win but that home cooking with the xtra week off will be to much for the Bison to overcome

2wagriz
November 29th, 2023, 12:10 PM
Haven't read this thread...don't really intend to...sorry Bison/Bobcat fans, FUBeAR just ain't that into you.

But...since FUBeAR did the research last summer and opened the file for another reason, he thought he would provide some historical data that may interest the peeps posting in this thread...If this has already been posted here or you are uninterested...FUBeAR don't care.

In the 9 prior Playoffs that have utilized the 24 Team / 8 Seeds (with home games AND 1 week rests prior), the record of #6 Seeds vs. Unseeded Opponents in Round 2 is:

#6 Seeds = 6 WINS and 3 L's
Unseeded = 3 L's and 6 WINS

The Average Score in the 6 #6 Seed WINS has been ~47-~32; a margin of victory of ~15 points.
The Average Score in the 3 Unseeded WINS has been ~26-~10; a margin of victory of ~16 points.

#6 Seeds have 'held serve' in Round 2 in the 5 most recent 24/8 Playoffs.

The upsets have been as follows...
In 2016, #6 Seed The Citadel (SoCon) lost to unseeded Wofford (also SoCon) 17-3.
In 2015, #6 Seed Portland State (Big Sky) lost to unseeded Northern Iowa (MVFC) 29-17.
In 2013, #6 Seed McNeese (Southland) lost to unseeded Jacksonville State (OVC) 31-10.

Even for the teasing ive given you, i also need to add, you do one heck of in depth analysis on here. Good read!

Chalupa Batman
November 30th, 2023, 09:01 PM
If NDSU doesn't get the ball first and score, they will be in trouble. That's what the Griz did and the Cats were not able to answer.

The last few games we've been taking the ball if we win the toss, I'm guessing the Bobcats like to defer if they win so it looks like we'll get the chance to score first. Oddly enough Drake was the first team this year to keep us from getting points on our first drive of the game.

ming01
November 30th, 2023, 10:09 PM
**** it. Give me the Bison.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2023, 11:48 PM
I can't believe there's only 4 pages of discussion for this game! To me at least, it feels like the Bobcats peaked somewhere in mid-October while the Bison have been playing borderline dominant football in November. Still, I'll take a rested MSU team at home in what should be the one of the best games the entire weekend at any level. The atmosphere will be absolutely electric!

What if MSU loses this one? I know the Bison fans will meltdown with an "L" but imo a Bobcat loss is much more devastating. If not now then when? They have a little Buffalo Bills feel to them albeit with more of a pulse....

mvfcfan
December 1st, 2023, 04:40 AM
NDSU has never won a road playoff game. No reason to think that changes tomorrow. MSU 38 NDSU 24

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2023, 06:44 AM
NDSU has never won a road playoff game. No reason to think that changes tomorrow. MSU 38 NDSU 24
Yeah they have... in fact they've won in Bozeman in the playoffs.

Gil Dobie
December 1st, 2023, 07:34 AM
I can't believe there's only 4 pages of discussion for this game! To me at least, it feels like the Bobcats peaked somewhere in mid-October while the Bison have been playing borderline dominant football in November. Still, I'll take a rested MSU team at home in what should be the one of the best games the entire weekend at any level. The atmosphere will be absolutely electric!

What if MSU loses this one? I know the Bison fans will meltdown with an "L" but imo a Bobcat loss is much more devastating. If not now then when? They have a little Buffalo Bills feel to them albeit with more of a pulse....

Melt has already happen on a few occasions this season. Saw a lot of backups in the Drake game. It wasn't a real strenuous game for the starters. No excuses if they lose.

POD Knows
December 1st, 2023, 08:12 AM

There won’t be any bison meltdown with a loss, I think most clear thinking bison fans expect a loss possibly. But I do agree with your statement regarding a MSU loss, at home, again, to NDSU would be far more impactful to their fanbase

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2023, 08:33 AM

Montana St has a very young team - check out their two deep for this game:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_9ahIfaAAA4mHi?format=jpg&name=medium

Assuming they aren't hammered by the transfer portal their window might be on the way open rather than on the way closed. NDSU is a very senior laden team (although many are 4th/5th year seniors who played during the COVID year in their true/redshirt freshman seasons and will be back next year) but Montana St is bringing back a lot more next year than NDSU is.

Consequently SDSU is very senior heavy as well so they should come back to the pack a bit next year as well. Regardless what happens in this game I think Montana St will be among the national title favorites next year - NDSU maybe not so much.

Silenoz
December 1st, 2023, 10:59 AM
What if MSU loses this one?
Calls for Housewright and Garza's heads

SeattleCat
December 1st, 2023, 01:32 PM
Calls for Housewright and Garza's heads

We already want their heads on platters.

fencer24
December 2nd, 2023, 02:16 PM
Seems the Bobcats have figured out how to tackle this week. Good for them.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 02:20 PM
Bobcats still don't have a FG kicker....

Christiank22
December 2nd, 2023, 02:26 PM
Never thought I’d say it as a bison fan… but throw the ball

putter
December 2nd, 2023, 02:35 PM
Bizon lucky to be down only 7

Karl Havoc
December 2nd, 2023, 02:49 PM
This Christmas sweater commercial is driving me nuts. Every single commercial break…

MSUBobcat
December 2nd, 2023, 02:55 PM
Weak ass PI call.

Christiank22
December 2nd, 2023, 02:57 PM
Weak ass PI call.

Correct PI call

SeattleCat
December 2nd, 2023, 03:03 PM
are these NDSU refs? because they're super bias.

Christiank22
I would say a score here would quiet the crowd but it’s already pretty quiet in Bozeman

MSUBobcat
Correct PI call

If you're wearing green and gold colored glasses, these refs are top notch. If you're not ****ing blind, they've been pretty ****ty.

Christiank22
December 2nd, 2023, 03:07 PM
If you're wearing green and gold colored glasses, these refs are top notch. If you're not ****ing blind, they've been pretty ****ty.

Sorry you don’t know the rules very well

Winterborn
December 2nd, 2023, 03:08 PM
There won’t be any bison meltdown with a loss, I think most clear thinking bison fans expect a loss possibly. But I do agree with your statement regarding a MSU loss, at home, again, to NDSU would be far more impactful to their fanbaseAs far as I am concerned we are playing with house money.

We have made it further than I expected to.

Christiank22
December 2nd, 2023, 03:09 PM
Ohhhhh boyyyy… under center is working

Christiank22
December 2nd, 2023, 03:25 PM
Tommy is athletic but doesn’t have the best football IQ. Dumb to run that there

Christiank22
December 2nd, 2023, 04:10 PM
Horns down signal… NDSU gonna win now. Bad luck Kitty cats

Christiank22
December 2nd, 2023, 04:23 PM
That’s game. Congrats Montana State and congrats Montana and SDSU for making the title game

JacksFan40
December 2nd, 2023, 04:44 PM
Tommy had to be helped off the field, couldn’t put weight on his leg.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 04:44 PM
I feel like every Bobcat game I watch Tommy gets hurt.....

Chalupa Batman
December 2nd, 2023, 04:45 PM
Tommy had to be helped off the field, couldn’t put weight on his leg.

Hate to see that happen.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 04:46 PM
Hate to see that happen.

Didn't look good xsmhx

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 04:53 PM
TD Bison! Finally, a great game today!

JacksFan40
December 2nd, 2023, 04:53 PM
Bison tie it at 28 with under 3 to go. See if Chambers can mount a drive here.

Sader87
December 2nd, 2023, 04:55 PM
I would have gone for 2 there but than again I'm 2,000 miles away in my man-cave on Cape Cod :)

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2023, 04:57 PM

Just wait.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 05:00 PM
MSU FG kicker is really shaky so anything more than about 30 yards is probably less than 50/50

JacksFan40
December 2nd, 2023, 05:01 PM
Bison get back to back sacks. Bison will get ball back with a chance to win.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 05:03 PM
What a punt! That was a perfect 60 degree into #10 at nearby Black Bull...

JacksFan40
December 2nd, 2023, 05:03 PM
Heading to OT!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 05:12 PM
TD Bison! MSU will get their chance...

grizband
December 2nd, 2023, 05:12 PM
Cam Miller keeps it to score a TD from 5 yards out. NDSU scores first in OT

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 05:13 PM
Bobcats score on the first play! wow!

grizband
December 2nd, 2023, 05:14 PM
MSU responds with a 25 yard Humphrey TD on their first play in OT

- - - Updated - - -

MSU goes down! The extra point is blocked, NDSU wins 35-34!

Go Lehigh TU owl
XP blocked! wow! their FG kicking ended up being their undoing! sickness in Bozeman! wow!!

kdinva
special teams.....Bizon advance

JacksFan40
Why did I see that coming from a mile away?

MSUBobcat
December 2nd, 2023, 05:15 PM
WTF Vigen. How the **** do you not go for 2.

Go Lehigh TU owl
MSU FG kicker is really shaky so anything more than about 30 yards is probably less than 50/50

I was a bit too optimistic....

Christiank22
Holy ****. Congrats MSU. Unfortunate it had to be this early in the playoffs we met.

Nothing but respect for you. Your city. Your program. I’m genuinely so sorry about Tommy. Dude is a stud.

TheKingpin28
Been at a wedding but wow, what a way to win. Hell of a game for both teams.

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

The Kicker
December 2nd, 2023, 05:16 PM

WrenFGun
Me, thinking back to 2011 or so when Mike McArthur shanked the extra point at Montana State in the playoffs, ending the game against UNH. It sucks man.

Lehigh'98
Yeah. The way NDSU found their run game and QB injuries, I thought for sure they’d go for two to end it there.

Pards Rule
December 2nd, 2023, 05:19 PM
Holy cow! Congrats Bison!!!!

Bison56
December 2nd, 2023, 05:20 PM
What a fun game.

bobcathpdevil56
December 2nd, 2023, 05:22 PM
Congrats NDSU!!! Only choice was go for 2.

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 05:22 PM
Yeah. The way NDSU found their run game and QB injuries, I thought for sure they’d go for two to end it there.I am absolutely shocked, given their kicking issues, that they didn't go for two.

BisonBacker
December 2nd, 2023, 05:25 PM
Horns down signal… NDSU gonna win now. Bad luck Kitty cats

Mic Drop!

WrenFGun
December 2nd, 2023, 05:26 PM
Yeah; they even panned to the fans holding up "2."

Bisonator
We had no business winning that game but I'll take it. Hell of a game Bobcats!

BisonBacker
I am absolutely shocked, given their kicking issues, that they didn't go for two.

One would have thought Vigen would know better given their kicking woes.

Born a Rabbit
December 2nd, 2023, 05:28 PM

officials definitely hurt MSU today. BUT NOT the officials in Bozeman today. it was the idiotic officials who decided that the Bison were not one of the top 8 teams in the country. politics should have nothing to do with deciding the seeds and ANYONE with even 10 percent of a brain knows that MSU and NDSU are UNQUESTIONABLY two of the best 5 or 6 teams in the country yet they end up playing each other today. meanwhile furman, chattanoga, albany, and richmond all play each other when not one of the four could touch either one of these teams

as far as penalties on the field today, i saw good and bad calls in favor of both teams

grossly stupid that these two teams played today and MSU is done

hopefully Tommy is not injured too badly!!

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 05:29 PM
One would have thought Vigen would know better given their kicking woes.I am still in shock, as bad as the Bison D looked pretty much the entire game, how in the hell did they win this game. When I saw MSU line up for the xtra point I said that a blocked kick is the only way the Bison win this game. It was a gift because I doubt NDSU stops a 2 point conversion.

Chalupa Batman
December 2nd, 2023, 05:32 PM
WTF Vigen. How the **** do you not go for 2.

With a gimpy Chambers I’m not sure that’s a good idea, limits the threat of the QB run.

Born a Rabbit
December 2nd, 2023, 05:38 PM
this is the clear game of the week next week. at the beginning of the year if anyone would have said these teams were playing in the playoffs, everyone would have bet it was a final four game. bummer this one will be starting during the jacks game. i expect it will be an interesting one to watch and i believe the winner will be favored in the quarterfinal contest a week later.

100% rooting for the bison and an all MVFC contest/ rematch in the quarterfinal, but MSU is way better than they showed last week and i bet they come out with a chip on their shoulder next week after getting embarassed last week and Sac St showed they mean business today too and it will be two close and interesting games in this quarter of the bracket

this held up pretty well.
this game should have been AT LEAST one round later. congrats to MSU on heck of a season. great fans came to brookings and i thought there was a good chance we could meet again!!! but everyone should know better than to count the bison out. they probably got outplayed today but you cannot underestimate the heart of a champion

grizband
December 2nd, 2023, 05:39 PM
officials definitely hurt MSU today. BUT NOT the officials in Bozeman today. it was the idiotic officials who decided that the Bison were not one of the top 8 teams in the country. politics should have nothing to do with deciding the seeds and ANYONE with even 10 percent of a brain knows that MSU and NDSU are UNQUESTIONABLY two of the best 5 or 6 teams in the country yet they end up playing each other today. meanwhile furman, chattanoga, albany, and richmond all play each other when not one of the four could touch either one of these teams

as far as penalties on the field today, i saw good and bad calls in favor of both teams

grossly stupid that these two teams played today and MSU is done

hopefully Tommy is not injured too badly!!
Which seed would you have replaced with North Dakota State? I'm not saying you're incorrect, just curious about your thoughts on removing one of the 8 seeds.

BisonFan02
December 2nd, 2023, 05:40 PM
The only reason this game happens in the second round is to bail out the garbage teams in the east to have participants.

Christiank22
December 2nd, 2023, 05:45 PM
One more thing. Top 3 environments in FCS right there. More energy in that place than when we played Iowa. Again, sorry it ended this way MSU should have been a semifinal at least

Silenoz
December 2nd, 2023, 05:47 PM
Cats really wasted what should have been their year.

Seems like they should be pretty stacked next year (but losing Chambers is HUGE), but... I dunno. Seems like they're moving backwards the further from Choate's culture/players they get.

Bison56
December 2nd, 2023, 05:48 PM
The only reason this game happens in the second round is to bail out the garbage teams in the east to have participants.

^facts

BisonFan02
December 2nd, 2023, 05:51 PM
^facts

The 7th and 8th seeds got to play YSU and Chatty......

semobison
December 2nd, 2023, 06:09 PM
I am still in shock, as bad as the Bison D looked pretty much the entire game, how in the hell did they win this game. When I saw MSU line up for the xtra point I said that a blocked kick is the only way the Bison win this game. It was a gift because I doubt NDSU stops a 2 point conversion.

Bison defense gave up over 500 yards of total offense and won. I wonder when the last time, if ever that has happened. I almost felt bad for Vigen and the Bobcats…almost!

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2023, 06:13 PM
Honestly this win was a bigger rush for me as a fan than the last time they beat Montana St (which was for a national championship).

#SorryNotSorry

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 06:18 PM
Honestly this win was a bigger rush for me as a fan than the lat they beat Montana St (which was for a national championship).

#SorryNotSorry
Oh, big time for me as well, I expected the Bison to handle MSU in previous games but they got outplayed today and pulled off a shocker, I still can't believe they won that game. I am pretty sure that the better team did not win.

Born a Rabbit
December 2nd, 2023, 06:23 PM
Which seed would you have replaced with North Dakota State? I'm not saying you're incorrect, just curious about your thoughts on removing one of the 8 seeds.

well villanova was ranked behind ndsu going into the final week. WHY did the bison get passed when they beat a very good UNI team very convincingly. but if the board thought nova HAD to be IN for some unknown reason, the bison are better than any of Nova, Furman, or Albany. the only guideline for seeding should be the BEST 8 teams should be seeded. nothing else should be involved in the decision- not travel or anything else. and there is zero chance that NDSU is not one of the best 8 teams

i guess at the end of the day, this works a lot better for me as a Jacks fan. much happier to play Nova this week and not the bison, but the bison should have been seeded and MSU should not be out today

BisonFan02
December 2nd, 2023, 06:26 PM
well villanova was ranked behind ndsu going into the final week. WHY did the bison get passed when they beat a very good UNI team very convincingly. but if the board thought nova HAD to be IN for some unknown reason, the bison are better than any of Nova, Furman, or Albany. the only guideline for seeding should be the BEST 8 teams should be seeded. nothing else should be involved in the decision- not travel or anything else. and there is zero chance that NDSU is not one of the best 8 teams

i guess at the end of the day, this works a lot better for me as a Jacks fan. much happier to play Nova this week and not the bison, but the bison should have been seeded and MSU should not be out today

If this game doesn't happen today, you could've very well had 5 of the final 8 teams from the Dakotas and Montana.

Winterborn
December 2nd, 2023, 06:31 PM
Congratulations CAT fans, it was an awesome game and you gave it your all.

The game had me eating pistachio's like candy, I was so nervous. I have to agree with PODKnows here that I am not sure the better team won but it definitely goes down as one of the games that I will remember most.

Still can't believe we won and that it happened the way it did......

semobison
December 2nd, 2023, 06:41 PM

Nova didn’t have any trouble with Youngstown today and I picked the Penguins. Today Nova looked like a top 8 seed from what I saw.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2023, 07:28 PM
One thing I can agree on with Bobcat fans is that these SOCON referees sucked... the Bison got some big breaks from them today and so did the Bobcats. I feel for you poor SOCON fans who have to deal with this week-in-week-out during the regular season if this was truly one of your two best crews.

BisonFan02
December 2nd, 2023, 07:33 PM
One thing I can agree on with Bobcat fans is that these SOCON referees sucked... the Bison got some big breaks from them today and so did the Bobcats. I feel for you poor SOCON fans who have to deal with this week-in-week-out during the regular season if this was truly one of your two best crews.

Probably too loud and cold for them.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2023, 07:35 PM
Believe it or not this was the first time a Bison RB has had a 100 yard game this season - Tamerick Williams went for 162 and 2 TDs on just 11 carries.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2023, 07:46 PM
If I'm Hunter Poncius (backup O-lineman) I tattoo these lace marks into my arm...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GAYYnnyXcAAjgiq?format=jpg&name=large

Nova09
December 2nd, 2023, 08:35 PM

Why the nova hate? I guess we screwed you by losing to Albany, but that screwed us, too! Albany probably isn't top 8 "good" but they are top 8 "resume," thanks to us.

The real problem is Furman, who has shown no reason to be top 10, and no computer puts as top 10. And they get gifted a fellow conference mate to ensure socon representation.

Then again, I'm not sure yotes are top 5 good, which is not hating on them, just literally saying I don't know what to make of them. But, you failed to take care of business, just like we failed at Albany, so they get rewards, just as Albany does over us (and you)

Chalupa Batman
December 2nd, 2023, 08:54 PM
Why the nova hate? I guess we screwed you by losing to Albany, but that screwed us, too! Albany probably isn't top 8 "good" but they are top 8 "resume," thanks to us.

The real problem is Furman, who has shown no reason to be top 10, and no computer puts as top 10. And they get gifted a fellow conference mate to ensure socon representation.

Then again, I'm not sure yotes are top 5 good, which is not hating on them, just literally saying I don't know what to make of them. But, you failed to take care of business, just like we failed at Albany, so they get rewards, just as Albany does over us (and you)

You're talking to an SDSU fan btw

Nova09
December 2nd, 2023, 09:03 PM
You're talking to an SDSU fan btw

Wait, why does a jackrabbit care where.ndsu is ranked?!? (My bad I should have read he username)

(Also.i should have read the last line where he says he's sdsu fan)

Born a Rabbit
December 3rd, 2023, 02:11 AM
Nova didn’t have any trouble with Youngstown today and I picked the Penguins. Today Nova looked like a top 8 seed from what I saw.

i agree YES Nova looked solid today. i probably stop short of saying they had NO trouble with YSU. i would say they won more than comfortably but they definitely did NOT give me the impression that they beat YSU in a similar fashion every time out. they were the better team today without question!! but i did not get the impression that these two teams are all that unevenly matched

all that said, as i began, you are not necessarily addressing my point, which is that NDSU is a better team than Nova, Furman, or Albany and it makes zero sense to me why Nova was ranked behind NDSU going into the final regular season games but passed them for seeding purposes despite NDSU having a VERY solid win against UNI

so unless your point is that you believe Nova is clearly better than the bison what difference does it make if they beat YSU or not? ultimately none of this is worth arguing and i am not trying to argue with you. but my belief is that the bison DEFINITELY should have been seeded. you disagree? you do not think they are clearly one of the top 8 teams? i would actually say they are clearly in the top 6, let alone top 8

Born a Rabbit
December 3rd, 2023, 02:47 AM
Wait, why does a jackrabbit care where.ndsu is ranked?!? (My bad I should have read he username)

(Also.i should have read the last line where he says he's sdsu fan)

haha seems like you overlooked a few things))

sorry i have no hate or disrespect for Nova and none was intended. just giving my honest opinion. that is that NDSU should have been seeded and because they were not seeded as they should have been MSU is out of the playoffs today when lesser teams will still be playing

after i made that point, someone asked me if NDSU was seeded who should have NOT been. maybe you missed in my response that i believe they are better than Furman, as well as Albany, besides Nova. the additional point i made regarding Nova was that they were ranked behind NDSU in the final week but some how passed them for seeding purposes despite a solid win by NDSU in the final week. nothing about that should have led any reasonable thinking person to move Nova ahead of the bison

but that said, i DO believe that Nova should have also been seeded and one of furman or albany should have been unseeded

FWIW i made a prediction before the bracket was revealed. here it is
1. Jacks
2. Montana
3. USD
4. Idaho
5 and 6 NDSU and MSU coin flip dont care the order
7. Nova
8. Furman

apparently you think albany deserves to be in over furman, i am guessing you are from the east coast and therefore watch more of those teams than i do so i am more than willing to trust your opinion

anyway i have zero hate or disrespect for Villanova. obviously Nova and the Jacks have played a couple times in the last several years. nova is a very solid and respectable program and i have always found the fans to be great as well!! i was strictly being honest that i VERY MUCH believe NDSU should have been seeded. any conversation related to Nova came up adjacent to that

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2023, 10:32 AM

sorry i have no hate or disrespect for Nova and none was intended. just giving my honest opinion. that is that NDSU should have been seeded and because they were not seeded as they should have been MSU is out of the playoffs today when lesser teams will still be playing

after i made that point, someone asked me if NDSU was seeded who should have NOT been. maybe you missed in my response that i believe they are better than Furman, as well as Albany, besides Nova. the additional point i made regarding Nova was that they were ranked behind NDSU in the final week but some how passed them for seeding purposes despite a solid win by NDSU in the final week. nothing about that should have led any reasonable thinking person to move Nova ahead of the bison

but that said, i DO believe that Nova should have also been seeded and one of furman or albany should have been unseeded

1. Jacks
2. Montana
3. USD
4. Idaho
7. Nova
8. Furman

apparently you think albany deserves to be in over furman, i am guessing you are from the east coast and therefore watch more of those teams than i do so i am more than willing to trust your opinion

anyway i have zero hate or disrespect for Villanova. obviously Nova and the Jacks have played a couple times in the last several years. nova is a very solid and respectable program and i have always found the fans to be great as well!! i was strictly being honest that i VERY MUCH believe NDSU should have been seeded. any conversation related to Nova came up adjacent to that

Albany beat Villanova, and convincingly, so I don't see how you seed Villanova and not Albany.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401540606

As a Bison fan, I think they pretty much got the seeds right. It was a tossup between Montana State and NDSU for the final seed in my view and I wasn't mad at not being seeded as I didn't think we earned one.

Catbooster
December 3rd, 2023, 01:32 PM
Congratulations Bison. That was a hell of a game.

Born a Rabbit
December 3rd, 2023, 01:50 PM
Albany beat Villanova, and convincingly, so I don't see how you seed Villanova and not Albany.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401540606

As a Bison fan, I think they pretty much got the seeds right. It was a tossup between Montana State and NDSU for the final seed in my view and I wasn't mad at not being seeded as I didn't think we earned one.

if you see the entire post, you see that i said this was my PRE bracket reveal prediction. after the bracket reveal i realized that albany beat nova convincingly. BUT my reason for including my prediction here was in response to a nova fan thinking that i was hating nova

in response to your thoughts, i realize that some of the bison fans are down on your team and your program, and of course by recent past standards, this years squad is not good. that said i still maintain that they are unquestionably one of the best 6 teams in the country. bison have 3 losses this year. 1 to the undefeated #1 team in the country. one to the #3 seed in the playoffs- i am not a real believer in usd but that does not change the fact they ended up the 3 seed and there is no question that is the seed they deserved, and the other loss to an in state rival. i know it has not been playing out that way to this point, but in state rival games are traditionally volatile. AGAIN i know none of these things happen in recent Bison world, but in the normal world all three of these are very quality losses. in the normal world, the bison are still a very good and dangerous football team. only in recent bison world are they not a good team

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2023, 03:06 PM

1. Jacks
2. Montana
3. USD
4. Idaho
7. Nova
8. Furman

NDSU is better than Idaho

Bisonator
December 3rd, 2023, 03:12 PM
Congratulations Bison. That was a hell of a game.
Classy Catbooster! Good luck to your Cats next season!

Born a Rabbit
December 3rd, 2023, 08:55 PM
NDSU is better than Idaho

VERY high chance what you say is true! but there was ZERO chance NDSU was gonna be a top 4 seed or be seeded above Idaho after the way the season played out. and apparently plenty of your fellow bison fans disagree with me and believe the bison were correctly unseeded, so i suspect you will get more of an argument from them than you will from me

best of luck this week, i will be happy to see the bison whoop usd

Bisonoline
December 3rd, 2023, 09:25 PM
VERY high chance what you say is true! but there was ZERO chance NDSU was gonna be a top 4 seed or be seeded above Idaho after the way the season played out. and apparently plenty of your fellow bison fans disagree with me and believe the bison were correctly unseeded, so i suspect you will get more of an argument from them than you will from me

best of luck this week, i will be happy to see the bison whoop usd

We are better than Idaho. But we didnt deserve to be seeded.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2023, 09:32 PM
We are better than Idaho. But we didnt deserve to be seeded.

Agreed. MAYBE an 8 seed but nothing higher. I think we got the draw we deserved though.

Bisonoline
December 3rd, 2023, 09:34 PM
Agreed. MAYBE an 8 seed but nothing higher. I think we got the draw we deserved though.

Agree

NDB
December 4th, 2023, 09:14 AM
Too bad the FCS playoff committee isn't as slanted as the FBS one.

NDSU should have been a top four seed, based on things.

Bisonoline
December 4th, 2023, 11:34 PM
Too bad the FCS playoff committee isn't as slanted as the FBS one.

NDSU should have been a top four seed, based on things.

Its not the committee thats flawed its the format. Seriously who thought a 4 team playoff was a good thing? All the incarnations these bozos have come up with they have never gotten it right because they are still trying to keep the old bowl system in place.

Pards Rule
December 5th, 2023, 11:05 AM
Doug Burgum departing - thats not an omen right?