PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Playoffs Round 2: Chattanooga @ #7 Furman

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2023, 05:21 PM
Game kicks off Saturday 12/2 at 1PM ET and will be streaming on ESPN+. Winner faces the winner of Delaware and Montana.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53357326228_bfbac83f63_b.jpg

Milktruck74
November 25th, 2023, 06:44 PM
Is Huff back? Will Pearson be healthy? Lots of questions that we wont have answers to until saturday. But what we know is this will be another SoCon Slobber Knocker. It is really hard to beat a team twice in the same season.

Born a Rabbit
November 25th, 2023, 07:11 PM
Is Huff back? Will Pearson be healthy? Lots of questions that we wont have answers to until saturday. But what we know is this will be another SoCon Slobber Knocker. It is really hard to beat a team twice in the same season.

not gonna pretend i know too much about either one of these teams, but is it actually "another" slobber knocker when the leading rusher for one team, in the first slobber knocker, had 60 yards and leading rusher for the other had barely 3 ypc and 48 total yards, and one team got all their scoring on two passes over 65 yards? maybe that is the definition of a slobber knocker? i am not sure

there will be three contests next week between MVFC and Big Sky teams and if i had to bet, i think these 2 teams got a blessing to play another slobber knocker with each other instead of playing one of those teams

if Furman does not have their players back and healthy, it would seem they could have a tough time beating the Mocs again, since they had a nailbiter the first time around, or maybe the Mocs just had the two big plays for scores and didnt do anything else? it doesnt appear they could run the ball much and almost half their pass yards came on two plays

PaladinNation
November 25th, 2023, 07:53 PM
The 1st matchup was pretty much what Born a Rabbit hinted towards.
Furman loses its leading tackler to a targeting call in the first quarter.
Furman then lost Tyler Huff in the first-half.
Chatty had Artopoeus the entire game (he was sacked 5 times).
Chatty's first score was on a nicely thrown ball, but two Furman defenders ran into each other and Whatley caught it and went 67 yards for a TD. The other Moc score was luck, Furman batted a pass that went up in the air and somehow fell right into Mayes hands and he ran it in.
Furman's redshirt freshman QB Carson Jones actually lead Furman on two scoring drives.

From what I've heard Tyler Huff is ready to play as should be Dominic Roberto.
Watching the APSU/Chatt game APSU's defense doesn't compare to Furman's defense.
I'd also look for Furman to finally be healthier at running back.
Roberto hasn't been 100% since probably Western. I've heard Kendall Thomas and the heir apparent RB to replace Roberto, Grant Robinson have been practicing.

Milktruck74
November 25th, 2023, 08:17 PM
While that is all true PN, it is playoff football, and everything that happened in the past matters for nothing! To your above assessment, I'd add that the Mocs were playing their 10th straight week of football, and coming off a tough trip to VMI (which can take it out of a team)...The Mocs were able to get a bye week after Furman to heal up, then esentially played a half game against Bama and a game today...so 10 games in 10 weeks vs 1.5 games in 3 weeks...This Mocs team will look quite different than the one Furple saw a few weeks back....and The Furple team will look quite different too.

Mocs123
November 25th, 2023, 08:25 PM
I'm hoping for a good game next Saturday. The Mocs were without four of their best players against Austin Peay after Jay Pearson went out in the first half. We know Ford and Lowery are done for the year - I have no idea how close Artopeous is to being back, and don't know how bad Pearson's injury is.

Personally, I expect a low scoring defensive slugfest.

apaladin
November 25th, 2023, 08:29 PM
Huff said on the news Minday night he would hsve played today had they played but another week is better. He will be back but whether he is 100% is another question.

Milktruck74
November 25th, 2023, 08:34 PM
Early Forecast looks like rain before and during the game. Not sure that'll make a difference, but...

Mocs123
November 25th, 2023, 08:50 PM
Historically I'd say a rainy game would favor the Mocs as we've had good physical downhill runners like Ford, Craine, Williams (and QB Huesman), but with Ford out, I'm not sure bad weather doesn't favor Furman in this game with Roberto and Huff being big downhill runners.

ElCid
November 25th, 2023, 09:02 PM
Early Forecast looks like rain before and during the game. Not sure that'll make a difference, but...

Just checked the forecast. <1% chance of rain. Low 60s. Light winds. WX shouldn't be a factor.

Milktruck74
November 25th, 2023, 09:12 PM
Huff said on the news Minday night he would hsve played today had they played but another week is better. He will be back but whether he is 100% is another question.

TH at 75% is probably better than about 90% of the FCS QBs out there.

apaladin
November 25th, 2023, 10:07 PM
First never ever pay attention to weather forecast a week in advance as they are never correct. I like to look at them to laugh because they are never right. 2 days ago tge high was supposed to be 52 next Saturday, now it says 66. 😳 Right now it says 38% chance of rain so who knows, the weather geeks surely don’t.

Milktruck74
November 25th, 2023, 10:09 PM
First never ever pay attention to weather forecast a week in advance as they are never correct. I like to look at them to laugh because they are never right. 2 days ago tge high was supposed to be 52 next Saturday, now it says 66.  Right now it says 38% chance of rain so who knows, the weather geeks surely don’t.

Old Farmer's Almanac is surprisingly accurate in the long range....but it is vague too, so....but the patterns are usually spot on!

rtzlunar
November 25th, 2023, 10:31 PM
Furman won in Chattanooga with a freshman backup QB. Now, Cool Hand Luke will try to return the favor at Furman.

ElCid
November 25th, 2023, 11:26 PM
The familiarity of playing a conf-mate in the playoffs sucks. At least we know a SOCON team will advance. LOL.

gofurman
November 26th, 2023, 12:31 AM
I'm hoping for a good game next Saturday. The Mocs were without four of their best players against Austin Peay after Jay Pearson went out in the first half. We know Ford and Lowery are done for the year - I have no idea how close Artopeous is to being back, and don't know how bad Pearson's injury is.

Personally, I expect a low scoring defensive slugfest.

mocs. First always upfront from our perspective. Furman is missing starting OG. Ben out a while.

iffy is Huff at QB and Roberto. We need them. Roberto is more north south big boy than our other guys Him being out hurt bad vs Wofford

i know Ford at RB IS Out. Sorry that’s his career. Hate it he was a great one

who is Lowery ? What position. When did he go out - did he play vs Furman the first game ?

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2023, 04:00 AM
…really hard to beat a team twice in the same season.…Also Milktruck74…93 minutes later…

…everything that happened in the past matters for nothing!https://fixingtheeconomists.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/talkingbothsidesmouth.jpg
———— Milktruck74 ————

Mocs123
November 26th, 2023, 06:44 AM
who is Lowery ? What position. When did he go out - did he play vs Furman the first game ?

All - SoCon Safety (sort of a Safety/Linebacker hybrid in Lorenzo Ward's system). I think he went out during the Furman game. He's the leader of the secondary. To be fair Romeo Wykle has come in and done a nice job in his place, but All-SoCon guys are hard to be without in the playoffs. Next man up though!

PaladinNation
November 26th, 2023, 07:38 AM
Kudos to the MOCS for proving the SoCon was again underrated.
It has to be frustrating for Western to be sitting at home, if healthy they would be making some noise too.

Mocs123 is spot on, this time of year, it's next man up, no excuses.
I like the depth of both teams. I'd have to give the depth nod to Furman though.
We'll see if that makes a difference in their second tilt of the season.

Milktruck74
November 26th, 2023, 11:48 AM
…Also Milktruck74…93 minutes later…

https://fixingtheeconomists.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/talkingbothsidesmouth.jpg
———— Milktruck74 ————

My limited knowledge is advanced enough to understand that dialectics exist.

Milktruck74
November 26th, 2023, 11:56 AM

Lowery was the key to the defense. He was that player that was not only consistent in coverage, he could come up and blow up a run...as well as put serious pressure on a QB. HE was also the VOCAL LEADER that side of the ball needs!!!HE is a huge loss, but Romeo has done a solid job sliding in.

I would expect that (for both squads) it'll be very difficult to keep anybody that is remotely healthy off the field on Saturday.

On another thread, somebody said if everyone on your team is healthy at this point in the season, you played a cream puff schedule!!!!

The Cats
November 26th, 2023, 12:03 PM
Chattanooga

Catbooster
November 26th, 2023, 01:45 PM
It has to be frustrating for Western to be sitting at home, if healthy they would be making some noise too.

I like the depth of both teams. I'd have to give the depth nod to Furman though.
Were they underrated? They got 1/3 of the conference into the playoffs, one being selected as a seed.

If the SoCon was underrated, how does Chattanooga beating Austin Peay 24-21 on the road prove that the conference was underrated?

PaladinNation
November 26th, 2023, 02:14 PM
Were they underrated? They got 1/3 of the conference into the playoffs, one being selected as a seed.

If the SoCon was underrated, how does Chattanooga beating Austin Peay 24-21 on the road prove that the conference was underrated?

Are you serious?
Most of the FCS pundits picked APSU, I believe Chatty was an 8 point dog too.
Also many on here and other places online didn't believe Chatty belong.
Yes the committee did pick two SoCon at-large teams, I will give them credit for that.

Milktruck74
November 26th, 2023, 02:58 PM
Are you serious?
Most of the FCS pundits picked APSU, I believe Chatty was an 8 point dog too.
Also many on here and other places online didn't believe Chatty belong.
Yes the committee did pick two SoCon at-large teams, I will give them credit for that.

Credit Chattanooga AD Mark Wharton for getting 2 atlarge bids...I assure you he did everything that he could to try and get WCU in also...like a brawler in the ring. I hear he went to the mat for the Cats, explaining how difficult of a place VMI is to actually play, but the committee didn't understand. And if WCU could have eeked in, we might have seen the socon with 25% of the field! YEay, nobody gives the SoCon credit, but you gotta bring t each and every week!!! Oh, and GO MOCS!!!

walliver
November 26th, 2023, 06:31 PM
Having seen both teams in action, I would go with Chattanooga. FU’s main QB may be a game-changer, but the TrainBirds seem like a better all-around team.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2023, 07:15 PM
My limited knowledge is advanced enough to understand that dialectics exist.
FUBeAR, admittedly a Bear of little brain, understands that God’s absolute sovereignty over Man includes granting Man free will. So, that dialectic makes sense.

Now do yours.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2023, 08:31 PM
Since FUBeAR did this research last summer and just opened the file for another reason, he thought he would provide some historical data that may interest we peeps posting in this thread...

In the 9 prior Playoffs that have utilized the 24 Team / 8 Seeds (with home games AND 1 week rests prior), the record of #7 Seeds vs. Unseeded Opponents, in Round 2, is:

#7 Seeds = 7 WINS & 2 L's
Unseeded = 2 WINS & 7 L's (In 2016, unseeded Northern Iowa (MVFC) defeated #7 Seed SDSU (MVFC) 13-10. In 2019, unseeded Richmond (CAA) defeated #7 Seed North Dakota (MVFC) 27-24.)

The Average Score in the #7 Seed Wins has been ~41-~23; a margin of victory of ~18 points.
The Average Score in the #7 Seed Losses has been ~20-~17 (still in favor of the #7 Seeds); a margin of victory of ~3 points (for the unseeded Teams; both games were 3 point unseeded upset wins).

In the 7 #7 Seed Wins, only 2 times has the margin of victory been less than double digits. Last year, in 2022, unseeded Furman (SoCon) lost to #7 Seed Incarnate Word (Southland) 41-38. In 2021, unseeded Kennesaw (Big South) almost pulled the upset, before falling 32-31 to #7 Seed ETSU (SoCon).

gofurman
November 26th, 2023, 11:39 PM

no excuses…. but do you not think missing Huff and Robert affected our Wofford game? Didn’t affect us at all. Right. Cmon. FCS just doesnt have the depth

heck NDSU had a ton of injuries last year and that ended their run. When NDSU can’t sustain vs item X ( injuries in this case. ) IT. MATTERS.

gofurman
November 26th, 2023, 11:53 PM
Having seen both teams in action, I would go with Chattanooga. FU’s main QB may be a game-changer, but the TrainBirds seem like a better all-around team.

then how did we win the first time ON THE ROAD. AT UTC. . WITH A BACKUP QB ETC. and With our all conference safety out for targeting for most of the game ? you saw the worst game of our year when we played you all where we purposely held guys out - all conference QB. All conference RB. and y’all knew this. You played smart. Y’all did. Hear me. That was exactly the thing to do. Sent 8/9 in box and hoped our freshman backup qb would be off. And he was. Missing WIDE OPN WRs. 20 yard passes to guys there was no DB within 5 yards of. Simple pitch and catch

you seem only focused on our QB. What about our all conference RB. And with no offense we STILL made y’all - who had a plus 3 turnover margin coming in for the year - good ball security there - turn it over FOUR times in one game. That’s horrible. Our defense is NUMBER ONE IN ALL OF FCS FOR TWO YEARS CONSECUTIVE IN TURNOVER RATIO. TWO YEARS

huff would a killed you if you did that. Just having Roberto we probably win. Plus Huff averages 50+ yards rushing AND is such a diversion as you can t stack the box if he plays. He will pull it and take off to the other side. A running QB is such a weapon as you should well know at Woffd. To hold that out kills us

in so many games we do better than UTC. I know you are going on eye test and you are a smart observer but —-
but Furman 17. UTC 14. AT UTC with Furman backup qb and best safety out
Western 52. UTC 50. So utc lost at home to WCU . vs. Furman 29 western 17. Again. AT WESTERN
Both FURMAN and UTC beat Mercer. Furman was at home granted

Furman 37. VMI. 3. V. UTC 24. VMI. 23.

look UTC can absolutely beat us but if you are going off the game where we played y’all and purposely held our offensive guys out…. What we did leave in since healthy was our D and y’all scored 19. 13 plus a scoop and score. Here’s a stat. NO FCS TEAM HAS SCORED MORE THAN 21 ON FURMAN ALL YEAR. That’s amazing. Western put 52 on Chatt.

again we can certainly lose. Probably 60/40

ming01
November 27th, 2023, 12:00 AM
Wofford loss seems to be a mirage. Ill take Furman.

gofurman
November 27th, 2023, 12:09 AM

Chatt was a 8/9 point underdog to the 9 consecutive win in-their-conference APeay. If they were SoCon APeay wouldn’t have made the playoffs. Probably 4th or 5th in SoCon. Good team but behind Furman. Chatt. Mercer. Probably behind Western Carolina

gofurman
November 27th, 2023, 12:11 AM
Wofford loss seems to be a mirage. I’ll take Furman.

we purposely held out starting qb and best RB to hope they are healthy for playoffs. Doesn’t mean they are 100%. Hope they are

apaladin
November 27th, 2023, 12:18 AM
Just checked 3 different weather sites:
Weather channel. 56% chance of rain high of 63
Accuweather: Cloudy and warmer, high of 67
National Weather Service: Partly sunny high of 64.
Who you gonna believe? None of them. They all will probably miss it. Only job where you can be constantly wrong and keep your job. Lol.

Milktruck74
November 27th, 2023, 05:41 AM
FUBeAR, admittedly a Bear of little brain, understands that God’s absolute sovereignty over Man includes granting Man free will. So, that dialectic makes sense.

Now do yours.

Everything that happened prior to the playoffs is out the window AND it is hard to beat a team twice in a season!

PaladinNation
November 27th, 2023, 06:03 AM
Furman's offense laid a turd at Wofford, no excuses.
An eye test comparing Furman vs Wofford, and Chatt vs Wofford, I'd go with the MOCS too.

The Chattanooga Defense is very good, Furman's defense though is better.
It's kinda odd to me that few people outside of those of us that wear purple mention Furman's defense.

Furman's defensive numbers are eye-popping and back up the consistent play of the DINS defense:
Turnover Margin (Gained/Lost)
+1.45 (+24/-8)
SoCon: 1 FCS: 1
Sacks
SoCon: 1 FCS: 3
Interceptions
SoCon: 1 FCS: 5
Rush Defense
Total Defense (322.9)
SoCon: 1 FCS: 25
* Furman is also number 1 in; red zone, 3rd down, and 4th down defense

Intangibles:
Furman's defensive depth, especially on the front seven has been a difference maker this season. Furman comes into this game, rested, and healthy.
Furman owns two of the two of the top three sacks performances registered in the FCS in 2023.

Special Teams in what could be a defensive battle loom large.
You'd have to give the advantage to Furman.
Ian Williams is surging 10/11 field goals, including a 52-yarder in the last half of the season.
45/62 Kickoffs have been touchbacks.
Furman punter Ryan Lively is the number 2 punter in the SoCon.
Furman has blocked kicks in three of its last four games
(ETSU, Chattanooga, and VMI) and has four on the season (2 FGs, 2 Punts), ranking 10th in the FCS.

The obvious question mark is the Furman offense. And there are a few.
Will Huff play, if he does play will he be limited? Huff is a true dual threat, to be effective, he has to be able to rush the ball.

Will Roberto play, if he does play will he be limited? Furman for most of the season has been down three running backs. Thank goodness the DINS have Wayne Anderson, Jr. I expect Roberto to play, I also expect Grant Robinson to be back (injured against USC) he was Furman's #2, I expect Kendall Thomas to play, he was Furman's number 3.

Word on the street, Furman's O-Line was not healthy when they played Wofford. With two weeks off are they healed up and ready to go?

PaladinNation
November 27th, 2023, 06:42 AM
This post appears to give us an answer about the status of Tyler Huff.
I'll be tuning in at 11:30.
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1728947491167690816

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2023, 06:48 AM
Delaware won a playoff game with a third string true freshman quarterback, remember this name Nick Minicucci

The fourth and fifth string running backs

Down two wide receivers

Down one starting offensive lineman

and finished out the game against Lafayette with three true freshman playing in the defensive backfield

so, having said all that, what does CH think about all the Furman excuses for losing to Wofford ? Yeah I know, it wasn’t a playoff game.

Mocs123
November 27th, 2023, 07:02 AM
I think the philosophy of what Chattanooga's Rusty Wright and Furman's Clay Hendrix want to do are actually pretty similar. Build an elite defense, have a run-first oriented offense with a big physical running back and win the game in the trenches.

Of course Chattanooga's big physical running back is out for the season. The Mocs have some electric wideouts, and despite not knowing who's going to be throwing them the ball on Saturday, I think the Mocs have a chance to make some plays in the passing game.

Furman's defense has been elite for sure. The Mocs defense has certainly looked elite at times (holding Mercer, a playoff team to zero rushing yards), but has given up more big plays than in the past as well. Chattanooga's pass rush can be dominating at times, but the Paladins aren't going to want to sit back in the pocket and throw a bunch, which might not let our pass rushers do their thing. I think the Huff type QB is the type that the Mocs struggle against as he's a dangerous runner.

As for special teams - the Mocs starting kicker (FG/XP) is out and not expected to return. Punter Clayton Crile has filled in and has had his ups and downs. He's got a strong leg, and is more than capable, but has missed a few lately, including two at Austin Peay - I could see this game coming down to an FG in the final moments, so the Mocs will need solid special teams play to have a chance.

Overall I predict a low scoring contest, with one or two plays making the difference.
Keys for the Mocs are -

Special Teams has to be special.
Win the turnover battle.
Control the LOS. - Don't let Huff and Roberto wear you down.
Make Furman earn their yards - i.e. - no big plays.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2023, 07:02 AM
Everything that happened prior to the playoffs is out the window AND it is hard to beat a team twice in a season!
But for the 2nd statement/clause to be relevant, it requires a condition to have occurred in the past (“prior to the playoffs”) and for that condition to have influence on the outcome(s) referenced in the 2nd statement/clause; however, any influence said condition could exert is nullified by the 1st statement clause, as the required condition itself is negated (“thrown out the window”) by the statement/clause.

Thus, dual mouth Milktruck74, as depicted, remains a true characterization as the preceding statements expressed 93 minutes apart remain in unresolvable conflict.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2023, 07:09 AM
Delaware won a playoff game with a third string true freshman quarterback, remember this name Nick Minicucci

Down two wide receivers

and finished out the game against Lafayette with three true freshman playing in the defensive backfield This would be a wonderful, perhaps even relevant post for the Delaware @ Montana thread.

gofurman
November 27th, 2023, 07:45 AM

Down two wide receivers

and finished out the game against Lafayette with three true freshman playing in the defensive backfield

so, having said all that, what does CH think about all the Furman excuses for losing to Wofford ? Yeah I know, it wasn’t a playoff game.

Caribbean, you are a good man - Military as I know.

Just as in the NFL... you REST your guys if you are so lucky to be able to do so. With our all conference QB and all conference RB hurt do you play them to beat Woffd? or rest to try and have them better for playoffs? it is a no brainer. It hurts to watch vs Wofford. It really did.

I can see why a Woffd fan would think UTC is better but all the stats say it is Furman.. IF HEALTHY

Furman 17 beat UTC AT UTC 17-14 with a backup QB
UTC lost to Western at home 52-50.. Furman AT WCU beat Western 27-19.
Both teams beat Mercer.

I was choosing the 3 best SoCon teams.

there is a pattern here.

And Furman beat UTC stright up AT UTC. with a backup QB.

gofurman
November 27th, 2023, 07:50 AM
I think the philosophy of what Chattanooga's Rusty Wright and Furman's Clay Hendrix want to do are actually pretty similar. Build an elite defense, have a run-first oriented offense with a big physical running back and win the game in the trenches.

Of course Chattanooga's big physical running back is out for the season. The Mocs have some electric wideouts, and despite not knowing who's going to be throwing them the ball on Saturday, I think the Mocs have a chance to make some plays in the passing game.

Furman's defense has been elite for sure. The Mocs defense has certainly looked elite at times (holding Mercer, a playoff team to zero rushing yards), but has given up more big plays than in the past as well. Chattanooga's pass rush can be dominating at times, but the Paladins aren't going to want to sit back in the pocket and throw a bunch, which might not let our pass rushers do their thing. I think the Huff type QB is the type that the Mocs struggle against as he's a dangerous runner.

As for special teams - the Mocs starting kicker (FG/XP) is out and not expected to return. Punter Clayton Crile has filled in and has had his ups and downs. He's got a strong leg, and is more than capable, but has missed a few lately, including two at Austin Peay - I could see this game coming down to an FG in the final moments, so the Mocs will need solid special teams play to have a chance.

Overall I predict a low scoring contest, with one or two plays making the difference.
Keys for the Mocs are -

Special Teams has to be special.
Win the turnover battle.
Control the LOS. - Don't let Huff and Roberto wear you down.
Make Furman earn their yards - i.e. - no big plays.

Mocs123 one guy i noticed didn't play in our first game is Quay Wiggles for yall. Good DL. Is he back yet?

gofurman
November 27th, 2023, 07:53 AM
Furman's offense laid a turd at Wofford, no excuses.
An eye test comparing Furman vs Wofford, and Chatt vs Wofford, I'd go with the MOCS too.

The Chattanooga Defense is very good, Furman's defense though is better.
It's kinda odd to me that few people outside of those of us that wear purple mention Furman's defense.

Furman's defensive numbers are eye-popping and back up the consistent play of the DINS defense:
Turnover Margin (Gained/Lost)
+1.45 (+24/-8)
SoCon: 1 FCS: 1
Sacks
Interceptions
SoCon: 1 FCS: 5
Rush Defense
Total Defense (322.9)
SoCon: 1 FCS: 25
* Furman is also number 1 in; red zone, 3rd down, and 4th down defense

Intangibles:
Furman's defensive depth, especially on the front seven has been a difference maker this season. Furman comes into this game, rested, and healthy.
Furman owns two of the two of the top three sacks performances registered in the FCS in 2023.

Special Teams in what could be a defensive battle loom large.
You'd have to give the advantage to Furman.
Ian Williams is surging 10/11 field goals, including a 52-yarder in the last half of the season.
45/62 Kickoffs have been touchbacks.
Furman punter Ryan Lively is the number 2 punter in the SoCon.
Furman has blocked kicks in three of its last four games
(ETSU, Chattanooga, and VMI) and has four on the season (2 FGs, 2 Punts), ranking 10th in the FCS.

The obvious question mark is the Furman offense. And there are a few.
Will Huff play, if he does play will he be limited? Huff is a true dual threat, to be effective, he has to be able to rush the ball.

Will Roberto play, if he does play will he be limited? Furman for most of the season has been down three running backs. Thank goodness the DINS have Wayne Anderson, Jr. I expect Roberto to play, I also expect Grant Robinson to be back (injured against USC) he was Furman's #2, I expect Kendall Thomas to play, he was Furman's number 3.

Word on the street, Furman's O-Line was not healthy when they played Wofford. With two weeks off are they healed up and ready to go?

PNation - check OUR board for a PM

Mocs123
November 27th, 2023, 08:13 AM
Both teams beat Mercer.

there is a pattern here.

Furman had Huff for 1 quarter plus - I think it was the middle of the 2nd quarter when he went out and didn't return (He was 4 of 7 for 37 yards in the air and had 9 yards on the ground). Of course the Mocs were without out starting running back - who as been the backbone of the Mocs offense the past 3.5 years - insignificant I guess since he won't be back for the rematch either, but just pointing out the Mocs were far from 100% on offense. Actually, in my opinion the pivotal play was when we ran a trick play and had our WR throw a pass that was intercepted in the endzone and Furman ran it back 50 yards - that was the momentum swing in the game.

Since you're talking healthy - Furman beat a WCU team without Reid, who put up some absolute eye-popping numbers this season. I'm not saying he would or wouldn't have made a difference in who won or lost that game, but it's obvious that WCU was never the same without him. Not that there is any excuse for the Mocs giving up 52 points to anyone.

I'm not sure if Furman intentionally set their two best offensive players against Wofford or if they just weren't good to go - either way I agree the loss was an anomaly.

The Paladins were six points away from a perfect SoCon record, the Mocs were five points away - I expect a good hard-fought game.

The Paladins are certainly healthier than the Mocs at the moment (The Mocs have 5 expected pre-season starters out for sure and two "questionable" - i.e. - I don't know their status) but the Mocs so far have been deep enough to still win some games.

Mocs123
November 27th, 2023, 08:57 AM
Mocs123 one guy i noticed didn't play in our first game is Quay Wiggles for yall. Good DL. Is he back yet?

Yes, Quay Wiggles is back and did play in the game last Saturday.

Karl Havoc
November 27th, 2023, 09:00 AM
Furman is favored by 4.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2023, 09:22 AM
Furman had Huff for 1 quarter plus - I think it was the middle of the 2nd quarter when he went out and didn't return (He was 4 of 7 for 37 yards in the air and had 9 yards on the ground). Of course the Mocs were without out starting running back - who as been the backbone of the Mocs offense the past 3.5 years - insignificant I guess since he won't be back for the rematch either, but just pointing out the Mocs were far from 100% on offense. Actually, in my opinion the pivotal play was when we ran a trick play and had our WR throw a pass that was intercepted in the endzone and Furman ran it back 50 yards - that was the momentum swing in the game.

Since you're talking healthy - Furman beat a WCU team without Reid, who put up some absolute eye-popping numbers this season. I'm not saying he would or wouldn't have made a difference in who won or lost that game, but it's obvious that WCU was never the same without him. Not that there is any excuse for the Mocs giving up 52 points to anyone.

I'm not sure if Furman intentionally set their two best offensive players against Wofford or if they just weren't good to go - either way I agree the loss was an anomaly.

The Paladins were six points away from a perfect SoCon record, the Mocs were five points away - I expect a good hard-fought game.

The Paladins are certainly healthier than the Mocs at the moment (The Mocs have 5 expected pre-season starters out for sure and two "questionable" - i.e. - I don't know their status) but the Mocs so far have been deep enough to still win some games.
Watched the injury to Person this AM.

When one falls really hard on the shoulder with the arm fully extended, as he did, a lot of not-so-good-things (FUBeAR dropped out of Med School) can happen to the shoulder joint. With the way he was holding his arm/shoulder immediately afterward and with him in a sling in the 2nd half, FUBeAR would be surprised to see #30 playing for the Mocs this week.

Also, noticed Artopoeus is wearing some type of device/brace/pad/strap on his right (throwing) shoulder. It’s mostly hidden under his jersey, but FUBeAR has a sharp eye. Guessing the Paladins don’t see #9 either.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2023, 09:26 AM

Just as in the NFL... you REST your guys if you are so lucky to be able to do so. With our all conference QB and all conference RB hurt do you play them to beat Woffd? or rest to try and have them better for playoffs? it is a no brainer. It hurts to watch vs Wofford. It really did.

I can see why a Woffd fan would think UTC is better but all the stats say it is Furman.. IF HEALTHY

Both teams beat Mercer.

there is a pattern here.

Yes Sir, the one service that has a full time job in peacetime

Mocs123
November 27th, 2023, 09:39 AM
The injury to Pearson didn't look great to me either - particularly the way he was holding his arm coming off the field. Being a senior, I assume if he was able to go back into what was a close playoff game that could have been the last collegiate game of his career, he would have. My guess is that we may know more today or tomorrow.

As for Artopeous - I have no clue, other than he did throw some in practice, but obviously they didn't feel he was good enough to go vs. APSU either. Will another week help? I guess we'll see. The coaches have been high on Schomburg as our QB of the future, and to be honest I thought he played pretty well. He's not as mobile as Artopeous but he seemed like he threw the ball pretty well against Peay. Furman's defense will be a much bigger test than Peay, so if he has to go this week he'll need to make good decisions and the O-Line will need to keep him upright - I think Furman had 5 sacks in the first meeting.

PaladinNation
November 27th, 2023, 12:33 PM
During the Furman Football Show today, Tyler hHuff was one of the two players who also participated.
Tyler said he's good to go, practice some last week, and practiced yesterday.
Roberto wan't mentioned, so I'm not sure of his status.
Clay, as you'd expected has a lot of respect for Chattanooga and Rusty.
He did allude to the fact that APSU's defensive philosophy is different than Furman.

dbackjon
November 27th, 2023, 01:27 PM
Vermin

gofurman
November 27th, 2023, 02:44 PM
Vermin

I recall beating you all in the late 90s in the playoffs. :)

That said, Flagstaff seems a pretty cool place.. snow skiing and great altitude

gofurman
November 27th, 2023, 02:54 PM

I know 5 of the 7 ... Ailym Ford. DB number 7 very good. The starting kicker. - thats 3 but who are the other 2? ( 2 questionable are Artopeus qb and 30 Person great DPOY )

Mocs123
November 27th, 2023, 02:59 PM
I know 5 of the 7 ... Ailym Ford. DB number 7 very good. The starting kicker. - thats 3 but who are the other 2? ( 2 questionable are Artopeus qb and 30 Person great DPOY )

Probably not worth mentioning as they were both hurt in the summer and lost for the year, but Colin Truett (Tackle) and Bryce Goodner (Guard) Truett had 26 starts coming into the year and Goodner started our last 7 games last season, was a SoCon all Freshman and Freshman All American.

Milktruck74
November 27th, 2023, 03:14 PM
Yes Sir, the one service that has a full time job in peacetime

Do you prefer to be called a Puddle Pirate or a member of the Knee Deep Navy? Go Mariners!!! Beat the Coasties!!! Oh, ALREADY DID 39-27!!!!!!

Milktruck74
November 27th, 2023, 03:18 PM
But for the 2nd statement/clause to be relevant, it requires a condition to have occurred in the past (“prior to the playoffs”) and for that condition to have influence on the outcome(s) referenced in the 2nd statement/clause; however, any influence said condition could exert is nullified by the 1st statement clause, as the required condition itself is negated (“thrown out the window”) by the statement/clause.

Thus, dual mouth Milktruck74, as depicted, remains a true characterization as the preceding statements expressed 93 minutes apart remain in unresolvable conflict.

Being reffered to as dual mouth by someone that can't even decide which team to root for (even in the same conference) is rich!!!! We will see you saturday, will you be the one in orange?

gofurman
November 27th, 2023, 03:43 PM
Probably not worth mentioning as they were both hurt in the summer and lost for the year, but Colin Truett (Tackle) and Bryce Goodner (Guard) Truett had 26 starts coming into the year and Goodner started our last 7 games last season, was a SoCon all Freshman and Freshman All American.

It still hurts. Gi hope you have them back next year

dbackjon
November 27th, 2023, 03:50 PM
I recall beating you all in the late 90s in the playoffs. :)

That said, Flagstaff seems a pretty cool place.. snow skiing and great altitude

I was channeling Citdog...

apaladin
November 27th, 2023, 04:01 PM
I do not expect Furman to score much Saturday. UTC has a very good defense but Furman’s defense ranks #1 in 11 defensive categories. The pessimist in me says UTC wins, probably with something odd being the difference, defensive score, kick return or something even rarer.

Milktruck74
November 27th, 2023, 04:18 PM
I do not expect Furman to score much Saturday. UTC has a very good defense but Furman’s defense ranks #1 in 11 defensive categories. The pessimist in me says UTC wins, probably with something odd being the difference, defensive score, kick return or something even rarer.

I hope the pessimist in you is correct!!! I, like you, see a low scoring game that comes down to one or two plays...and maybe they are odd-ball plays...It is SoCon Football, so why should we expect anything different. The only difference is that is SoCon football without SoCon Refs!!!!

PaladinNation
November 27th, 2023, 04:42 PM

I wouldn't expect anything less coming from the Eeyore of the UFFP.

I actually think the opposite happens, I've got a feeling the Furman offense will show up Saturday.

ElCid
November 27th, 2023, 06:13 PM
You guys still here arguing about who lost more players to injury and creating a narrative as an excuse as to why they will lose? It will be hard fought no doubt. Whoever wins better take care of business the following week.

FU_Paladin08
November 27th, 2023, 08:23 PM
I’d love to see the Furman offense roll after the egg they laid at Wofford and a bye week. I have a feeling they start a bit slow and rusty against a tough UTC but grind out the win. Not sure what to expect from the UTC offense. They had some weird play calls on critical 3rd and 4th downs last time against Furman that probably cost them the game. Maybe they go more conventional this time and covert a few.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2023, 09:25 PM
We will see you saturday, will you be the one in orange?
FUBeAR will be the one wearing his…

2023 SOUTHERN CONFERENCE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS

…shirt.

You?

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2023, 08:03 AM
Do you prefer to be called a Puddle Pirate or a member of the Knee Deep Navy? Go Mariners!!! Beat the Coasties!!! Oh, ALREADY DID 39-27!!!!!!

This “Puddle Pirate” went to Antarctica three times on two different Polar Icebreakers. By the way, several years ago, we had a kid show up that was a direct commission from the Merchant Marines, played football at the Merchant Marine Academy. He was good, his maritime experience really helped him become savvy in a tough job. The Coast Guard has lost their nauticalism as all these academy boys drive desks now

Milktruck74
November 28th, 2023, 09:15 AM
This “Puddle Pirate” went to Antarctica three times on two different Polar Icebreakers. By the way, several years ago, we had a kid show up that was a direct commission from the Merchant Marines, played football at the Merchant Marine Academy. He was good, his maritime experience really helped him become savvy in a tough job. The Coast Guard has lost their nauticalism as all these academy boys drive desks now

Ok, so you were in a deep puddle!!!

Mocs123
November 29th, 2023, 09:39 AM
Coach Rusty Wright confirmed in his press conference yesterday that Luke Schomburg will be your starting QB on Saturday. Chase Artopeous is having surgery.

He said whether or not Jay Pearson plays depends on how much he's able to do in practice today.

gofurman
November 29th, 2023, 03:39 PM
Coach Rusty Wright confirmed in his press conference yesterday that Luke Schomburg will be your starting QB on Saturday. Chase Artopeous is having surgery.

He said whether or not Jay Pearson plays depends on how much he's able to do in practice today.

thanks mocs. much appreciated. i do hope. that Artopeous is healthy next year. He is a junior right?

Mocs123
November 29th, 2023, 04:56 PM
thanks mocs. much appreciated. i do hope. that Artopeous is healthy next year. He is a junior right?

Yes, he's a junior. We actually have a fairly young team and should have a strong roster in 2024 - assuming we can keep everyone in the flock so to speak.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2023, 10:24 PM
Yes, he's a junior. We actually have a fairly young team and should have a strong roster in 2024 - assuming we can keep everyone in the *flock so to speak.
* echo OR
* exactness OR
* plagiary OR
* ridicule OR
* mob

...unless y'all are adding ANOTHER mascot... (Pretty sure the NCAA Limit is 63. Y'all are close.)

apaladin
November 30th, 2023, 12:07 AM
Looks like rain in one form or another Saturday, maybe even thunderstorms, Funny we have had very little rain since first of September and now for tbe most important game of the year here it is. Oh well, nothing we can do about it. We would be ok Friday or Sunday but its hitting just right. I will be there regardless along with a few others.

OL FU
November 30th, 2023, 10:14 AM
You guys still here arguing about who lost more players to injury and creating a narrative as an excuse as to why they will lose? It will be hard fought no doubt. Whoever wins better take care of business the following week.

Did you forget my luggage againxcoolx:pxsmiley_wix

wcugrad95
November 30th, 2023, 11:13 AM
Really tough game to call. With Huff back and Chase out, it would seem like Furman would be where to put your money. But I also would have laid money on the Mocs winning the regular season game after Huff went out early in that one. UTC seems to be playing with house money - so I expect them to play with the nothing-to-lose mentality. On the flip-side, Furman ***could*** play a little tight being at home and the expected favorite.

The tempo of the game in the 1st half will be key. Schomburg will need to hit some big pass plays to those shifty and really good WRs to open the game up relatively early for the Mocs to win. If it is another low-scoring game I'd have to go with the Paladins where Huff gets some crucial 1st downs and maybe a big run for a TD to seal it.

I'd guess another one of those 24-21 or 21-14 type games. Which of course means it will probably be a 40-39 shoot-out.

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2023, 11:40 AM
the Paladins where Huff gets...a big run for a TD to seal it.
You don't have to keep suffering, y'know -> https://theocdandanxietycenter.com/ptsd-treatment/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgqGrBhDtARIsAM5s0_loWBnrje7EAL_vtxF OlPlwSdhc0vA6FowoufNAGuOChpj1jm1xz-AaApEaEALw_wcB

ElCid
December 1st, 2023, 09:11 AM
Pouring down rain. I'm sure it's the same down the mountain. I'm only about 20-25 miles north.
Going to be a mucky day tomorrow.

FUBeAR
December 1st, 2023, 09:22 AM
Pouring down rain. I'm sure it's the same down the mountain. I'm only about 20-25 miles north.
Going to be a mucky day tomorrow.
The FieldTurf Revolution 360 playing surface in Paladin Stadium will be muck-free.

Tailgating could be a bit mucky. Fans may be wet.

Will the balls be wet or dry is the question...one of man's endless questions, perhaps.

FUBeAR uses the TMRW (Tomorrow) Weather App and has found it to be very specific and relatively reliable. It is also, often, but certainly not always, different than the 'narrative' provided by almost all other sources.

While TMRW's forecast has mirrored all of the others all week, it showed something different this AM. It's changing...and seems to be for the better. It's showing a good bit of rain in the 2-3 window, but FOG otherwise ... so, FUBeAR is gonna keep watching. Fog is fine.

ElCid
December 1st, 2023, 09:40 AM
The FieldTurf Revolution 360 playing surface in Paladin Stadium will be muck-free.

Tailgating could be a bit mucky. Fans may be wet.

Will the balls be wet or dry is the question...one of man's endless questions, perhaps.

FUBeAR uses the TMRW (Tomorrow) Weather App and has found it to be very specific and relatively reliable. It is also, often, but certainly not always, different than the 'narrative' provided by almost all other sources.

While TMRW's forecast has mirrored all of the others all week, it showed something different this AM. It's changing...and seems to be for the better. It's showing a good bit of rain in the 2-3 window, but FOG otherwise ... so, FUBeAR is gonna keep watching. Fog is fine.

Going to keep people away. Nobody likes to go out on a yucky day when they can be on their jammies and watch it on TV.

FUBeAR
December 1st, 2023, 09:51 AM
Going to keep people away. Nobody likes to go out on a yucky day when they can be on their jammies and watch it on TV.
Aaaah - that won't matter. Paladin Stadium isn't a particularly difficult venue for crowd noise unless it's full....like it was back in FUBeAR's playing days. Crowd-size / Attendance won't have any effect on either Team or the outcome of this game.

Catbooster
December 2nd, 2023, 12:56 AM
Chatt was a 8/9 point underdog to the 9 consecutive win in-their-conference APeay. If they were SoCon APeay wouldn’t have made the playoffs. Probably 4th or 5th in SoCon. Good team but behind Furman. Chatt. Mercer. Probably behind Western Carolina
I was indirectly trying to point out that Chatty beating APU does not prove that the entire Southern Conference was under-rated. Maybe APU was over-rated (which your post seems to indicate). Maybe Chattanooga is just a good team, regardless of which conference they're in. Maybe they were just better on that day...

I get a little tired of the narratives that this conference is over-rated, that one is under-rated, this team is better or worse because they're in whichever conference. And IMO, a team winning a non-conference game does not suddenly prove that their entire conference has been under-rated or over-rated.

Chattanooga got a good win in the playoffs. Congratulations. They should enjoy that - sincerely. There are around 100 other teams that would be happy to have accomplished what they have.

But personally, I don't think that proves that WCU, Furman, VMI, etc. have been under-rated all year.

Catbooster
December 2nd, 2023, 01:13 AM

Both teams beat Mercer.

there is a pattern here.

I'm not so sure it's a no-brainer. By doing that they likely lost the opportunity to play at home up to the championship. Now they have to go on the road after this game (assuming they win). We all know that home field is generally a huge advantage in the playoffs. It might have been the right call, but I don't think it was a no-brainer (depending on the injuries/severity of the injuries).

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2023, 01:18 AM
I was indirectly trying to point out that Chatty beating APU does not prove that the entire Southern Conference was under-rated. Maybe APU was over-rated (which your post seems to indicate). Maybe Chattanooga is just a good team, regardless of which conference they're in. Maybe they were just better on that day...

I get a little tired of the narratives that this conference is over-rated, that one is under-rated, this team is better or worse because they're in whichever conference. And IMO, a team winning a non-conference game does not suddenly prove that their entire conference has been under-rated or over-rated.

Chattanooga got a good win in the playoffs. Congratulations. They should enjoy that - sincerely. There are around 100 other teams that would be happy to have accomplished what they have.

But personally, I don't think that proves that WCU, Furman, VMI, etc. have been under-rated all year.
Which thread should FUBeAR peruse to find your post asserting this same position, albeit in the opposite direction, when Chattanooga lost to North Alabama?

FUBeAR will hang up and listen…

Catbooster
December 2nd, 2023, 01:25 AM
Which thread should FUBeAR peruse to find your post asserting this same position, albeit in the opposite direction, when Chattanooga lost to North Alabama?

FUBeAR will hang up and listen…
I wouldn't bother perusing any posts to find that since I never held that opinion nor stated that opinion.

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2023, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't bother perusing any posts to find that since I never held that opinion nor stated that opinion.
Exactly

Catbooster
December 2nd, 2023, 01:38 AM
Exactly
Perhaps I misinterpreted your post (or maybe you're trying to put words in my mouth).

To be clear, I never thought that Chattanooga's loss to North Alabama proved that the SoCon was good or bad. I don't recall but likely I didn't have Chattanooga ranked after that loss early in the season. But it wouldn't have had any effect on my opinion of the entire conference.

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2023, 02:48 AM
Perhaps I misinterpreted your post (or maybe you're trying to put words in my mouth).

I never thought that Chattanooga's loss to North Alabama proved that the SoCon was good or bad.
Since FUBeAR, apparently, has to spoonfeed the bread crumbs directly to you…

FUBeAR’s point IS…

Regardless of what you now claim that you thought, you have NEVER and would NEVER take the time to make a post expressing this ‘1 OOC game doesn’t mean anything about the conference as a whole’ opinion after a SoCon Team had lost an OOC game to a generally-perceived weaker Team, but here you are, on a thread that has nothing to do with your Team, making your 4th (soon-to-be-5th, undoubtedly) post expressing, and vehemently defending, this opinion after an unseeded SoCon #3 Team beat a generally-perceived stronger (in ‘the conversation’ for a Seed) Team.

If you truly cared about the validity of your opinion, your efforts would have been equal, or at least similar, in both instances and you would be able to direct FUBeAR to at least 1 post stating such after Chatt’s loss to North Alabama. There was certainly no shortage of ‘SoCon Sux’ posts across the breadth of AGS, after the Chatt @ North Alabama game, to which you could have easily responded expressing this heartfelt opinion you claim you have, and have held in the past.

FUBeAR would posit, instead, that you posted this ‘opinion’ as just a ‘standard’ component of a narrative that you and many, many others wish to ensure is enduring. FUBeAR compliments you and all of your like-minded colleagues. You are all doing an excellent job in that pursuit.

Catbooster
December 2nd, 2023, 04:19 AM
Since FUBeAR, apparently, has to spoonfeed the bread crumbs directly to you…

FUBeAR’s point IS…

Regardless of what you now claim that you thought, you have NEVER and would NEVER take the time to make a post expressing this ‘1 OOC game doesn’t mean anything about the conference as a whole’ opinion after a SoCon Team had lost an OOC game to a generally-perceived weaker Team, but here you are, on a thread that has nothing to do with your Team, making your 4th (soon-to-be-5th, undoubtedly) post expressing, and vehemently defending, this opinion after an unseeded SoCon #3 Team beat a generally-perceived stronger (in ‘the conversation’ for a Seed) Team.

If you truly cared about the validity of your opinion, your efforts would have been equal, or at least similar, in both instances and you would be able to direct FUBeAR to at least 1 post stating such after Chatt’s loss to North Alabama. There was certainly no shortage of ‘SoCon Sux’ posts across the breadth of AGS, after the Chatt @ North Alabama game, to which you could have easily responded expressing this heartfelt opinion you claim you have, and have held in the past.

FUBeAR would posit, instead, that you posted this ‘opinion’ as just a ‘standard’ component of a narrative that you and many, many others wish to ensure is enduring. FUBeAR compliments you and all of your like-minded colleagues. You are all doing an excellent job in that pursuit.
Thank you for telling me what my opinion is and what I would and wouldn't do/say/think. I guess I didn't realize that's what I thought. You are an amazingly skilled mind-reader.

If we shouldn't post on threads that have nothing to do with the teams we support, you should be posting far less than you do currently. And AGS will be seeing far less activity in general.

You are right that I never made a post stating that specific game didn't affect my opinion of the SoCon at that time. If I made a post like that about a conference every time a team won/lost I would be very busy as there are lots of those games every year. Instead I've made only a little over 100 posts per year over the 17 years I've been a member of this board (or over 25 posts per month during the season since the majority of my posts are during the football season). Sometimes I have the time and inclination to comment on something, but not that often. Don't hold your breath for me to start making posts about how every game in a season affects my opinion on the team's conference and the many other issues that become discussions on this board.

You're right again that I don't care about your opinion of the validity of my opinion. I'm not going to make posts throughout the season in order to prove to you what I thought at the time. It's just not that important to me.

I made a remark mildly disagreeing that an individual team's win proved something about an entire conference. It's not surprising that you got upset. Your schtick is to play the victim. That's ok . Sometimes it's entertaining, but other times it gets tiresome and over the last year or two it's gradually become the latter more often than the former.

I've always respected and liked Furman (ever since they came up here for a playoff game in the early 2000's and I met a couple fans). You aren't really helping on that front but I keep reminding myself that you aren't representative of the typical Furman fan.

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2023, 04:49 AM
Thank you…and then another load of more (mostly ad hominem) foolishness completely unrelated to the point made
https://www.funimada.com/assets/images/cards/big/5-20.gif

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2023, 08:05 AM
How long have you guys been married?:D

SeattleCat
December 2nd, 2023, 12:13 PM
Chattanooga's frosh QB has some moxy.

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2023, 12:28 PM
Lot of empty seats. From FUBeARS post this week I was expecting a full house.

rtzlunar
December 2nd, 2023, 12:40 PM
Pitiful crowd. I feel like I’m watching the Mocs play a home game.

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 12:44 PM
Lot of empty seats. From FUBeARS post this week I was expecting a full house.
Yes but when you multiply the actual crowd by the gross national product of Belgium / £¥ and carry the one, the numbers are the best in FCS.

MR. CHICKEN
December 2nd, 2023, 12:47 PM
NO CHART NEEDED!.....IT'S

CHATTANOOGA 7
FURMAN 0

MR. CHICKEN
December 2nd, 2023, 12:49 PM
CHATTANOOGA 7
FURMAN 7

SeattleCat
December 2nd, 2023, 12:49 PM
Yes but when you multiply the actual crowd by the gross national product of Belgium / £¥ and carry the one, the numbers are the best in FCS.

minus 1, not carry the one geez...

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2023, 12:51 PM
minus 1, not carry the one geez...
POD had it right.

MVFC > Big Sky

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2023, 01:06 PM
POD had it right.

MVFC > Big Sky

You should find a better coping mechanism.

UNHWildcat18
December 2nd, 2023, 01:39 PM
Honestly, UTC should have been at Albany and Richmond should have been at Furman. These second round cannibalism games are painful. Also the travel wouldn’t be much further for chatty than it was Richmond.

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2023, 02:15 PM
Honestly, UTC should have been at Albany and Richmond should have been at Furman. These second round cannibalism games are painful. Also the travel wouldn’t be much further for chatty than it was Richmond.
https://previews.123rf.com/images/enterline/enterline1712/enterline171200444/92392052-the-word-preach-concept-and-theme-written-in-vintage-wooden-letterpress-type-on-a-grunge-background.jpg

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2023, 02:47 PM
LET’S GO BLUE HENS!!!

https://1000logos.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Delaware-Blue-Hens-logo-1536x864.png

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2023, 03:13 PM

truth

FU_Paladin08
December 2nd, 2023, 06:04 PM
Agreed. They should cross conference whenever possible.

Milktruck74
December 2nd, 2023, 06:22 PM
FooBare, I hope the obese flag twirler from the Furple band recovers. She was so worn out during the pre-game performance that she had to drop down to a knee during the national anthem. She didn't look like she was one to get too much exercise, and at her size the exertion was probably just too much.

2wagriz
December 2nd, 2023, 07:20 PM
Fubear,
I mean what i said earlier. I welcome playing fuMAN on any field. Love your disrespect to the Sky.
Talk soon.
With Love,
Griz Nation.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2023, 07:37 PM
Fubear,
I mean what i said earlier. I welcome playing fuMAN on any field. Love your disrespect to the Sky.
Talk soon.
With Love,
Griz Nation.

He’s in Target shopping for cold weather gear

Chalupa Batman
December 2nd, 2023, 07:46 PM

100%. Richmond & NCCU are both bus trips to Furman so let the winner of that game play the Paladins. Send Chatty on a flight instead of the Spiders. Also avoids a CAA matchup in Albany (even though they didn’t play in the regular season I think all conference matchups in 1st 2 rounds should be avoided whenever possible).

FUwolfpacker
December 2nd, 2023, 07:49 PM
Tough go of it for UTC. As we know from the Wofford game, it’s tough to win when you’re missing a few of your best players. Being down Artopeous, Ford, Person, Lowery (?), and a few others was always going to make it tough. Reggie Davis continued to impress and should be a guy to build around going forward.

Thought Furman played well. Couldn’t hit the big play and couldn’t finish some of the drives, but was happy with how everything looked considering it’s the first time Huff has played in 3+ weeks. D continues to play well. Will be a challenge no matter who it is we play next. Just happy to still be playing.

ElCid
December 2nd, 2023, 09:14 PM
I love to see the stats of each game. Interesting that Furman had 384 yards of O. 192 rushing, 192 passing. That's crazy balanced. 42 rushes, 30 passes. Furman D did good as well.

apaladin
December 2nd, 2023, 10:59 PM
…..of course the weaher geeks got it wrong, told us all week long it was going to rain. Weather was perfect, no wind, warm, the one shower we had came at halftime. The Furman defense was outstanding, They will be tested next week at Montana.

2wagriz
December 2nd, 2023, 11:01 PM
They dont sell that kind down there. I hear hot air is half though.

apaladin
December 2nd, 2023, 11:02 PM
FooBare, I hope the obese flag twirler from the Furple band recovers. She was so worn out during the pre-game performance that she had to drop down to a knee during the national anthem. She didn't look like she was one to get too much exercise, and at her size the exertion was probably just too much.

Really? Was this comment necessary?

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2023, 09:38 AM
Don't think anyone has done this, but someone should...so FUBeAR will....

This 2023 Chattanooga Mocs Team is worthy of HIGH PRAISE.

A brief diversion before we get into that part though. Chatt Football and Chatt Football Fans have been through (and self-inflicted) A LOT since Coach Huesman had them in a pretty darn good place, but decided to depart his alma mater for Richmond, for whatever reason, after the 2016 season. Then, as other SoCon Teams have done, they made a real bad hire as a replacement for Coach Huesman. Coach Wright has had to overcome that, and, as a new HC, he's had to learn A LOT along the way.

Chatt's quitting in the midst of Spring Covid season, while in a position to win the SoCon Championship, and, thus, acquiring their now-less-frequently-used moniker of "Chattaquitta," was either a STUPID decision or a failure to lead properly or both. Then, somehow, that horrible decision/occurrence, apparently, convinced Chatt's Coaches and Fans that they had (already) won the next several years of SoCon Championships, if not FCS Championships. Really, really weird take, but that's where they were....until THIS SEASON.

So...this season couldn't have started any worse for Chatt...losing to North Alabama was a bad look for the Mocs and for the SoCon. They could have spiraled from that loss alone...and, in prior seasons, very well might have. But, they pulled it together and beat KSU's A-Team (which was a pretty darn good Team, that nobody wants to understand how they managed their transition year - but that's another saga), found an accommodating opponent in Charleston, and then had a really good win over a very good (yep, that's right...they are/were) Samford Team.

Onward thru Woffy and then completely heartbreaking, whipsawing, last-second loss to high-flying and VERY GOOD WCU. A win at Mercer followed, albeit aided greatly by Mercer's Offensive woes, but they also learned their bellcow, RB A. Ford, who had carried them thru most of their struggles in prior years, was lost for the season. If the Mocs ever had a reason to return to being Chattaquitta, that time was then. But...NO....not THIS Mocs Team...they soldiered on, undaunted, thru 2 more tough SoCon wins...and then...

Another FU'in heartbreak at home with a chance to clinch the SoCon Championship and a Playoff berth. They lost in the 4th quarter of a stone-cold WAR. Should have devastated them. But, nope, they finished out the string and awaited their fate...now without the Trigger Man - who, frankly, was UNBELIEVABLY GOOD for them all year. Without him....well, much lesser Mocs. He's a REALLY good QB. So, fate smiles on them, they get a bid and then go knock out a Team that was, WITHOUT QUESTION, in the conversation for a Playoff Seed.....but they lose their best Defensive Player, the SoCon DPOY, in the process.

We saw that 1-9 Woffy was able to defeat FU when FU didn't have 2 of their best Offensive Players. Well, Chatt played yesterday without their 2 best Offensive Players AND without their best Defensive Player. It would have taken a literal miracle for them to defeat the #7 (or better)(full-strength) Team in FCS yesterday. But, they didn't seem to act that way. The Mocs came out firing on all cylinders, playing balls out, and took a lead...with only a 3 point deficit at the half. After half, kinda reminded FUBeAR of an FCS vs. FBS game....just not enough bullets in the chambers for the Mocs without their best Players there to make the plays the 'Best Players' make, but they kept firing their weapons and they played HARD until the final whistle.

THIS 2023 Chattanooga Mocs Team never quit. They persisted valiantly. They met adversity with increased effort and heart. They (nor their fans) ever seemed to think, as they have in the past, that they were 'entitled' to Championships without earning them on the field.

Oddly, FUBeAR is really proud of this Chattanooga Team and he knows that his Paladins and Bears are going to have to work very hard to stay ahead of the (new) Mocs Football Program.

BTW - If there is any post-season ranking here...rank the Mocs with Ford, Artopoeus, and Person all 100%...and you ought to have them in the Top 10. You won't, but you should. They ARE THAT GOOD!

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2023, 12:06 PM
Don't think anyone has done this, but someone should...so FUBeAR will....

This 2023 Chattanooga Mocs Team is worthy of HIGH PRAISE.

A brief diversion before we get into that part though. Chatt Football and Chatt Football Fans have been through (and self-inflicted) A LOT since Coach Huesman had them in a pretty darn good place, but decided to depart his alma mater for Richmond, for whatever reason, after the 2016 season. Then, as other SoCon Teams have done, they made a real bad hire as a replacement for Coach Huesman. Coach Wright has had to overcome that, and, as a new HC, he's had to learn A LOT along the way.

Chatt's quitting in the midst of Spring Covid season, while in a position to win the SoCon Championship, and, thus, acquiring their now-less-frequently-used moniker of "Chattaquitta," was either a STUPID decision or a failure to lead properly or both. Then, somehow, that horrible decision/occurrence, apparently, convinced Chatt's Coaches and Fans that they had (already) won the next several years of SoCon Championships, if not FCS Championships. Really, really weird take, but that's where they were....until THIS SEASON.

So...this season couldn't have started any worse for Chatt...losing to North Alabama was a bad look for the Mocs and for the SoCon. They could have spiraled from that loss alone...and, in prior seasons, very well might have. But, they pulled it together and beat KSU's A-Team (which was a pretty darn good Team, that nobody wants to understand how they managed their transition year - but that's another saga), found an accommodating opponent in Charleston, and then had a really good win over a very good (yep, that's right...they are/were) Samford Team.

Onward thru Woffy and then completely heartbreaking, whipsawing, last-second loss to high-flying and VERY GOOD WCU. A win at Mercer followed, albeit aided greatly by Mercer's Offensive woes, but they also learned their bellcow, RB A. Ford, who had carried them thru most of their struggles in prior years, was lost for the season. If the Mocs ever had a reason to return to being Chattaquitta, that time was then. But...NO....not THIS Mocs Team...they soldiered on, undaunted, thru 2 more tough SoCon wins...and then...

Another FU'in heartbreak at home with a chance to clinch the SoCon Championship and a Playoff berth. They lost in the 4th quarter of a stone-cold WAR. Should have devastated them. But, nope, they finished out the string and awaited their fate...now without the Trigger Man - who, frankly, was UNBELIEVABLY GOOD for them all year. Without him....well, much lesser Mocs. He's a REALLY good QB. So, fate smiles on them, they get a bid and then go knock out a Team that was, WITHOUT QUESTION, in the conversation for a Playoff Seed.....but they lose their best Defensive Player, the SoCon DPOY, in the process.

We saw that 1-9 Woffy was able to defeat FU when FU didn't have 2 of their best Offensive Players. Well, Chatt played yesterday without their 2 best Offensive Players AND without their best Defensive Player. It would have taken a literal miracle for them to defeat the #7 (or better)(full-strength) Team in FCS yesterday. But, they didn't seem to act that way. The Mocs came out firing on all cylinders, playing balls out, and took a lead...with only a 3 point deficit at the half. After half, kinda reminded FUBeAR of an FCS vs. FBS game....just not enough bullets in the chambers for the Mocs without their best Players there to make the plays the 'Best Players' make, but they kept firing their weapons and they played HARD until the final whistle.

THIS 2023 Chattanooga Mocs Team never quit. They persisted valiantly. They met adversity with increased effort and heart. They (nor their fans) ever seemed to think, as they have in the past, that they were 'entitled' to Championships without earning them on the field.

Oddly, FUBeAR is really proud of this Chattanooga Team and he knows that his Paladins and Bears are going to have to work very hard to stay ahead of the (new) Mocs Football Program.

BTW - If there is any post-season ranking here...rank the Mocs with Ford, Artopoeus, and Person all 100%...and you ought to have them in the Top 10. You won't, but you should. They ARE THAT GOOD!

First, Thanks for an Honest assessment. One player of note that was out alos was Ruben Lowery III, While JP had the stats to be DPOY, RL3 was the glue guy for that Defense. When he was on the field, the other 10 guys were better. No doubt losing JP hurt the D, but the next man up played pretty well. However, losing RL3 probably hurt worse, simply because of his leadership impact.

Second, you mention the Mocs Fans...In the past, Moc Fans do not travel well. There are a few hardcore folks that make every game, but away games are mainly family. We usually see 7500-8500 fans at home games, but the stadium looks empty because it seats about 22k. So question for you...From my perspective (Away stands) the Mocs contingent looked pretty large. As I peered across the Furple side did not look to very big. I get that the sides are not equal and it is difficult to judge...but I felt like the Mocs fans made up at least 25% of the crowd. Attendance was 8100, so that would mean the Mocs Side was around 2000, That may be a little high and it might have been a perspective thing, but what are your thoughts? Either way, I was happy with the crew that made the trip, it was more than showed up for home games when I played... Only us old folks will get this, but we use to say our games were sponsored by MCI...FRIENDS AND FAMILY!!!