PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Playoffs Round 2: Southern Illinois @ #4 Idaho

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2023, 04:57 PM
Game kicks off Saturday 12/2 at 8PM MT and will be broadcast nationally on ESPN2 and streaming on ESPN+. Winner faces the winner of Richmond and Albany.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53357326243_db6262c50f_b.jpg

Houndawg
November 26th, 2023, 09:20 AM
Don't know anything about Idaho but I expect us to compete well. If the defense doesn't get left on the field for 40 minutes like happened in Fargo it will be close

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2023, 10:31 AM
Don't know anything about Idaho but I expect us to compete well. If the defense doesn't get left on the field for 40 minutes like happened in Fargo it will be close

The QB is the Real McCoy and WR Hayden Hatten make for a dynamic I duo Ho ….

this is a great playoff match up!

Peems
November 26th, 2023, 11:02 AM

Idaho's goal is to slowly slice and dice you en route to a 17 play 11:00min 78yd TD drive. They go for it on fourth and will try and play keep away forever. Sometimes it works!(MSU game) sometimes their gambling back fires and they lose(UM game). But their QB(McCoy) is as good as i've seen at this level this year, and their skill players are top notch.

The Cats
November 26th, 2023, 11:43 AM
Idaho

Houndawg
November 26th, 2023, 12:31 PM
Idaho's goal is to slowly slice and dice you en route to a 17 play 11:00min 78yd TD drive. They go for it on fourth and will try and play keep away forever. Sometimes it works!(MSU game) sometimes their gambling back fires and they lose(UM game). But their QB(McCoy) is as good as i've seen at this level this year, and their skill players are top notch.

Sounds like there are some similarities - SIU often goes for it on 4th down and has good skill players but their o line is their weakest area over all. I put in a homer vote for SIU in an upset.

Chalupa Batman
November 26th, 2023, 12:43 PM

Looking at your schedule, it shows you're a much different team at home than you are on the road. It's doable, but the Salukis will have to reverse that trend to stay in this game.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2023, 01:14 PM
Looking at your schedule, it shows you're a much different team at home than you are on the road. It's doable, but the Salukis will have to reverse that trend to stay in this game.

yes, some, but I'm not sure how much - our two worst defensive performances happened on the road and both times TOP was the reason, near 40 minutes on the field both games for the defense. Weather was a factor at YSU that it won't be in Idaho, where the game will hinge on our ability to run, which wasn't very good against NDSU or SDSU so if Idaho has a d line like those guys we're probably hosed

Grizzlies82
November 26th, 2023, 04:06 PM

Peems sized them up perfectly. The Vandals M.O. is to strive for 40 minutes of possession per game. Somehow your guys will need to get the ball away from them and keep it. If Idaho doesn't get 'playoff stage fright' I expect they'll easily advance into the semifinals.

Last year their QB McCoy was freshman of the year. He is a dangerous dude scrambling for yards or throwing on the run. He is good enough where I won't be surprised if he finishes his career at a Pac 12 school rather than there in Moscow, Idaho.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2023, 04:37 PM
Peems sized them up perfectly. The Vandals M.O. is to strive for 40 minutes of possession per game. Somehow your guys will need to get the ball away from them and keep it. If Idaho doesn't get 'playoff stage fright' I expect they'll easily advance into the semifinals.

Last year their QB McCoy was freshman of the year. He is a dangerous dude scrambling for yards or throwing on the run. He is good enough where I won't be surprised if he finishes his career at a Pac 12 school rather than there in Moscow, Idaho.

Sounds like the difference may be in the non-marquee side of the match up

Grizzlies82
November 26th, 2023, 04:56 PM
Sounds like the difference may be in the non-marquee side of the match up

My guess, for your best odds turn the tables on them. Have your offense permanently clutch the ball to their chests. Don't even hand it to the refs until you score. Keep the damn thing at all times. The Salukis scored in bunches this weekend. Stick with that plan. Score in bunches and make McCoy watch the game from the benches. If that plan works have your University send me a check for my consultation fees. Good luck and you're welcome.

You never know with these playoff games, though I suspect this might be one of the better games this coming weekend.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2023, 05:55 PM
My guess, for your best odds turn the tables on them. Have your offense permanently clutch the ball to their chests. Don't even hand it to the refs until you score. Keep the damn thing at all times. The Salukis scored in bunches this weekend. Stick with that plan. Score in bunches and make McCoy watch the game from the benches. If that plan works have your University send me a check for my consultation fees. Good luck and you're welcome.

You never know with these playoff games, though I suspect this might be one of the better games this coming weekend.

Lets hope they have a bad day on run defense

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2023, 12:42 AM
Haven't read this thread...don't really intend to...sorry Saluki/Vandal fans, FUBeAR just ain't that into you.

But...since FUBeAR did the research last summer and opened the file for another reason, he thought he would provide some historical data that may interest the peeps posting in this thread...If this has already been posted here or you are uninterested...FUBeAR don't care.

In the 9 prior Playoffs that have utilized the 24 Team / 8 Seeds (with home games AND 1 week rests prior), the record of #4 Seeds vs. Unseeded Opponents, in Round 2, is a surprising:

#4 Seeds = 5 WINS and 4 L's
Unseeded = 4 L's and 5 WINS

The Average Score in the 5 #4 Seed WINS has been ~34-~21; a margin of victory of ~13 points.
The Average Score in the 4 Unseeded WINS has been ~30-~23; a margin of victory of ~7 points.

The #4 Seeds seem to be able to only 'hold serve' in even numbered years, except for 2013, as the upsets have been as follows...
In 2021, #4 Seed Sacramento State (Big Sky) lost to unseeded SDSU (MVFC) 24-19.
In 2019, #4 Seed Sacramento State (again)(Big Sky) lost to unseeded Austin Peay (OVC, at the time) 42-28.
In 2017, #4 Seed Central Arkansas (Southland, at the time, FUBeAR believes) lost to unseeded New Hampshire (CAA) 21-15
In 2015, #4 Seed McNeese State (Southland) fell to unseeded Sam Houston State (also Southland) 34-29

2023 seems to fall down on the 'odd' side of things. Idaho is officially now on UPSET ALERT.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2023, 06:43 AM
Haven't read this thread...don't really intend to...sorry Saluki/Vandal fans, FUBeAR just ain't that into you.

But...since FUBeAR did the research last summer and opened the file for another reason, he thought he would provide some historical data that may interest the peeps posting in this thread...If this has already been posted here or you are uninterested...FUBeAR don't care.

In the 9 prior Playoffs that have utilized the 24 Team / 8 Seeds (with home games AND 1 week rests prior), the record of #4 Seeds vs. Unseeded Opponents, in Round 2, is a surprising:

The Average Score in the 5 #4 Seed WINS has been ~34-~21; a margin of victory of ~13 points.
The Average Score in the 4 Unseeded WINS has been ~30-~23; a margin of victory of ~7 points.

The #4 Seeds seem to be able to only 'hold serve' in even numbered years, except for 2013, as the upsets have been as follows...
In 2019, #4 Seed Sacramento State (again)(Big Sky) lost to unseeded Austin Peay (OVC, at the time) 42-28.
In 2017, #4 Seed Central Arkansas (Southland, at the time, FUBeAR believes) lost to unseeded New Hampshire (CAA) 21-15
In 2015, #4 Seed McNeese State (Southland) fell to unseeded Sam Houston State (also Southland) 34-29

2023 seems to fall down on the 'odd' side of things. Idaho is officially now on UPSET ALERT.

Very nice work !!

Houndawg
November 27th, 2023, 07:08 AM

xconfusedx Who?

If the team that played the Jacks or the Yotes shows up it will be down to the wire; if the team that played the Bison shows up.....xsmhx

I'm hoping the dawgs are practicing at night this week to get themselves synced up with the clock

Karl Havoc
November 27th, 2023, 09:07 AM
Idaho is favored by 3.5.

Houndawg
November 27th, 2023, 09:47 AM
Idaho is favored by 3.5.

I would have thought 7-10..their defense isn't as good as their offense?

Karl Havoc
November 27th, 2023, 12:03 PM
I would have thought 7-10..their defense isn't as good as their offense?

The offense is the strength of the team. The defense is good but I wouldn’t say outstanding. You should be able to move the ball. Vegas is projecting only 45 points as there probably won’t be a ton of possessions so that has an effect on the spread.

SP+ actually has SIU power rated higher than Idaho.

The x-factor is Hayden Hatton. The guy is a monster and can single-handedly flip the game. Curious to learn about SIU’s secondary. Do they have a #1 CB that travels with opposing teams top WR?

Also worth noting — Idaho has fumbled 23 times this year which is pretty astonishing. The only reason Weber beat them was because of two fumbles. They need to tighten up the ball security if they want to make a run.

Pards Rule
November 27th, 2023, 12:06 PM
Rooting for Vandals...hard to believe its been a year since Moscow murders

dbackjon
November 27th, 2023, 12:43 PM
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2023, 01:59 PM
I see that this game is also going to be broadcast on ESPN2.... probably explains the late kickoff time. Good exposure for Idaho and SIU to get on a national network even though it is a late slot.

I'm thinking this means that if you're streaming this via ESPN+ you'll need a streaming/cable provider login that has ESPN2 on your plan - someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but just figured I'd give you some forewarning if you have ESPN+ but not the ESPN networks through a cable/streaming provider.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2023, 02:10 PM
I will be watching.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2023, 02:28 PM
I see that this game is also going to be broadcast on ESPN2.... probably explains the late kickoff time. Good exposure for Idaho and SIU to get on a national network even though it is a late slot.

I'm thinking this means that if you're streaming this via ESPN+ you'll need a streaming/cable provider login that has ESPN2 on your plan - someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but just figured I'd give you some forewarning if you have ESPN+ but not the ESPN networks through a cable/streaming provider.

But torture for the fans in the stands. Big chunks of time where there is nothing happening and zero momentum to the game. It just drags on and on. With all the talk about poor playoff attendance I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this. After the SIU/UD semi-final years ago I won't go to an SIU game that is being televised

SIUallDay
December 2nd, 2023, 04:37 PM
But torture for the fans in the stands. Big chunks of time where there is nothing happening and zero momentum to the game. It just drags on and on. With all the talk about poor playoff attendance I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this. After the SIU/UD semi-final years ago I won't go to an SIU game that is being televised

I remember that game going on forever it seemed like. Plus it didn't help that there was speculation about Kill leaving in which he did. It was almost miserable lol.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2023, 04:59 PM
GO DAWGS!!!

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2023, 05:02 PM
Win or lose I hope we bring our A game

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2023, 05:24 PM
I remember that game going on forever it seemed like. Plus it didn't help that there was speculation about Kill leaving in which he did. It was almost miserable lol.

no almost about it, on top of all that we lost the game when the go ahead TD was called back on a lineman downfield penalty

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 08:49 PM
I'm stoked for this! This and some end of the semester work, need to pump out about 2-3 pages, will carry me past midnight without passing out. With that said, I rather not OT...lol

SIUallDay
December 2nd, 2023, 09:25 PM
Defense is looking solid so far.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 09:27 PM
Defense is looking solid so far.

Absolutely! SUI is going to make this a rock fight! Should be a great nightcap!

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2023, 09:34 PM
Great run on 3rd down for a TD

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

SIUallDay
December 2nd, 2023, 09:37 PM
Nice TD, especially since it's a rush and not a pass cause their ground game has been wishy-washy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 09:48 PM
SUI adds a FG off a turnover..

10-0 SIU 11:53 2Q

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2023, 09:48 PM
Nic Baker looks like my 58 year old uncle if he played college football... he's a pretty good QB regardless though.

SIUallDay
December 2nd, 2023, 10:00 PM
The defense is on that ass!

Paladin1aa
December 2nd, 2023, 10:01 PM
Dawgs are playing well

SIUallDay
December 2nd, 2023, 10:02 PM
no almost about it, on top of all that we lost the game when the go ahead TD was called back on a lineman downfield penalty

Yeah, that **** was wild to say the least.

Karl Havoc
December 2nd, 2023, 10:12 PM
Wtf? SIU gets a first down then play is stopped for a review. The refs didn’t announce what they were reviewing then confirmed the play the on the field but then penalized SIU for illegal formation.

I have never seen a penalty thrown after a review.

Chalupa Batman
December 2nd, 2023, 10:16 PM
Wtf? SIU gets a first down then play is stopped for a review. The refs didn’t announce what they were reviewing then confirmed the play the on the field but then penalized SIU for illegal formation.

I have never seen a penalty thrown after a review.

I was confused about that too as no team puts 5 guys numbered 50-79 on the line in punt formations. But I'm thinking it's a penalty in this case because the Salukis had a guy right under center like a QB typically is instead of a direct snap to an upback?

Karl Havoc
December 2nd, 2023, 10:27 PM
I was confused about that too as no team puts 5 guys numbered 50-79 on the line in punt formations. But I'm thinking it's a penalty in this case because the Salukis had a guy right under center like a QB typically is instead of a direct snap to an upback?

That’s a great point. I am so confused.

Maybe there is some obscure rule and SIU really did have an illegal formation… But it also seems like the refs missed it in real time and used a review to enforce a penalty which seems wrong. There was nothing else that happened during the play that would have needed a replay review.

Karl Havoc
December 2nd, 2023, 10:32 PM
If they said SIU didn’t have 7 men on the line of scrimmage then I guess it would make sense. But they said SIU didn’t have “5 men with numbers between 50-79 on the line of scrimmage.” What a bizarre turn of events and it resulted in at least a 3 point swing before half.

Loyl2u
December 2nd, 2023, 10:43 PM
I don’t see where the formation is reviewable ? https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d3/2021-22_D3MFB_NCAAInstantReplayManual.pdf. Maybe they expanded reviewable fouls this year?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 10:44 PM
What a play by Baker!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 10:58 PM
What a turn of events, Idaho miss on an easy TD pass then throw a pick a play or two later....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 11:01 PM
TD Vandals on an 84 yard punt return! Wow!

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2023, 11:02 PM
Nice sequence by SIU. they are moving the ball and run some stupid flea flicker for a huge negative play and then give up a punt return TD. How Saluki of them.

SIUallDay
December 2nd, 2023, 11:02 PM
Dammmmmmn smh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 11:10 PM
SIU's OL needs to step up!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 11:12 PM
Wow! SIU has a TD called back. Brutal penalty. OL is struggling right now...

The call was pretty weak....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 11:14 PM
This might not be Rocky vs Drago but it's still a damn good fight from Moscow!

SIUallDay
December 2nd, 2023, 11:18 PM
Punch that **** in 💪🏽💪🏽

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 11:25 PM
SIU is fun to watch. They are relentless and tough as nails...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 11:30 PM
Nearing crunch time and it's not that late! Here we go!

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2023, 11:41 PM
Weak PI call right there on SIU gives Idaho hope...

TD Idaho. Tied at 17 with 4 minutes to play. Here we go!

SDFS
December 2nd, 2023, 11:45 PM
Heck of a goal line series... he was earlier. But, man - tough call.. SIU has 4 minutes to respond.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2023, 11:50 PM
SIU has yet to kick a 40+ yard FG this year.... just saying.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 11:52 PM
Great execution on 3rd and 5!

BisonFan02
December 2nd, 2023, 11:52 PM
If they're not gonna kick a FG....they need to hurry.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 11:53 PM
SIU is really milking the clock...

BisonFan02
December 2nd, 2023, 11:53 PM
I guess they think they got enough yards to kick a FG.... xlolx

SDFS
December 2nd, 2023, 11:56 PM
Well SIU lining up for a 39 yarder.. It is either SIU win or OT.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2023, 11:56 PM
Haha... Baker doesn't even want to talk to the placekicker. "Don't **** it up dude" is what his eyes said.

EDIT: He ****ed it up. SIU was way too conservative with 3 TOs coming down the stretch.

SIUallDay
December 2nd, 2023, 11:58 PM
Deflected, damn.

BisonFan02
December 2nd, 2023, 11:58 PM
Probably needed to keep some sense of emergency and get a few more yards there SIU.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2023, 11:59 PM
Partially blocked! OT it is! wow!

- - - Updated - - -

Probably needed to keep some sense of emergency and get a few more yards there SIU.....

I agree! They were too casual with yards/time....

BisonFan02
December 3rd, 2023, 12:00 AM
If that ball wasn't tipped, it was gonna be tracking well wide right.

Professor Chaos
Yup... Nick Hill kept 2 TOs in his pocket for what? Was stupid to not call a TO with 20 seconds left and give his offense a chance to get a few more yards.

Go Lehigh TU owl
I'm stoked for this! This and some end of the semester work, need to pump out about 2-3 pages, will carry me past midnight without passing out. With that said, I rather not OT...lol

Well, it's midnight in Kansas!

BisonFan02
December 3rd, 2023, 12:01 AM
Yup... Nick Hill kept 2 TOs in his pocket for what? Was stupid to not call a TO with 20 seconds left and give his offense a chance to get a few more yards.

The offense was rolling.....absolutely dumb.

Tribe4SF
December 3rd, 2023, 12:01 AM
Scratching my head on that clock management.

BisonFan02
December 3rd, 2023, 12:02 AM
I have a feeling we are not done with kicking woes for the evening/morning.

BisonFan02
December 3rd, 2023, 12:03 AM
Scratching my head on that clock management.

Bison-esque with the lack of anything in a 2 min drill situation.

SDFS
December 3rd, 2023, 12:04 AM
Well another Valley vs Sky OT. Lets see how it goes. SIU gets the ball first.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2023, 12:05 AM
SIU lost their edge on offense. Idaho the aggressor now on defense...

BisonFan02
Idaho INT. SIU wasn't making a kick on 4th down there anyway.

SIUallDay
Smh welp

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2023, 12:08 AM
Wow... how do they not review that???

Didn't look like Idaho RB stepped out of bounds and might've scored the game winner.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2023, 12:09 AM
Wow... how do they not review that???

Didn't look like Idaho RB stepped out of bounds and might've score the game winner.

No clue!!

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2023, 12:11 AM
why wasn't SIU using timeouts in regulation to get a shorter FG .. they were letting the clock run and only used 1 timeout. So stupid ??

BisonFan02
December 3rd, 2023, 12:11 AM
why wasn't SIU using timeouts in regulation to get a shorter FG .. they were letting the clock run and only used 1 timeout. So stupid ??

Extremely stupid. I'm still shaking my head.

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2023, 12:12 AM
Haha... Baker doesn't even want to talk to the placekicker. "Don't **** it up dude" is what his eyes said.

EDIT: He ****ed it up. SIU was way too conservative with 3 TOs coming down the stretch.

this .. why were they settling for longer FG and not using timeouts ??

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2023, 12:14 AM
SIU coaches lost that game ... mind boggling.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2023, 12:14 AM
Idaho wins! SIU really screwed up the end of regulation...

BisonFan02
December 3rd, 2023, 12:15 AM
SIU coaches lost that game ... mind boggling.

If that were the Bison, POD Knows and I would be standing next to each other screaming at the Bison to get to the line and go.

SIUallDay
December 3rd, 2023, 12:18 AM
Gotammit. That was a winnable game smh.

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2023, 12:20 AM
Announcer even said SIU placekickers had a tryout this past week to see who would be starter ... so it wasn't a good situation with SIU placekicking. And why wasn't Baker going crazy too about hurrying up. Then he took another 1 yards loss to get it better centered ... 41 yarders are not gimmes even for established kickers. Just bizarre.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
If that were the Bison, POD Knows and I would be standing next to each other screaming at the Bison to get to the line and go.
The end of regulation for SIU was an epic fail. Their kicker sucks but let’s burn time so we can get him a longer field goal. Shocker.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2023, 12:22 AM
Announcer even said SIU placekickers had a tryout this past week to see who would be starter ... so it wasn't a good situation with SIU placekicking. And why wasn't Baker going crazy too about hurrying up. Then he took another 1 yards loss to get it better centered ... 41 yarders are not gimmes even for established kickers. Just bizarre.
41 yards would have been his career long.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2023, 12:23 AM
Glad SIU lost. **** em. Albany gets to go to Idaho. I bet they were screaming at the TV.

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2023, 12:24 AM
Gotammit. That was a winnable game smh.
youre press better be asking the HC those questions about clock mgmt, using timeouts, FG distance, not to mention with kicker tryouts ...

You guys had a nice season, great defense this year .. which is not usually your thing. Tough way to go down .. you guys had this won.

SIUallDay
December 3rd, 2023, 12:31 AM
youre press better be asking the HC those questions about clock mgmt, using timeouts, FG distance, not to mention with kicker tryouts ...

You guys had a nice season, great defense this year .. which is not usually your thing. Tough way to go down .. you guys had this won.
Most definitely but our defense was always stronger in our better seasons. Hate this one couldn't get to see another Saturday when it could have been possible. Should've, would've, could've, with every loss comes a lesson.

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2023, 12:33 AM
Glad SIU lost. **** em. Albany gets to go to Idaho. I bet they were screaming at the TV.

MVFC should have had 4 in quarterfinals, and Big Sky just 1 .. now it's 3 and 2.

UNHWildcat18
December 3rd, 2023, 02:49 AM
MVFC should have had 4 in quarterfinals, and Big Sky just 1 .. now it's 3 and 2.

shoulda coulda woulda. Lucky to even have 3 as MSU made a lot of mistakes.

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2023, 06:05 AM

xbabycryx so much for the whining about the MVFC not deserving six teams in the playoffs this year.

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2023, 06:32 AM
That’s a great point. I am so confused.

Maybe there is some obscure rule and SIU really did have an illegal formation… But it also seems like the refs missed it in real time and used a review to enforce a penalty which seems wrong. There was nothing else that happened during the play that would have needed a replay review.

I think UIs coach gamed the ref on that one - how do you review a non-call?

Gil Dobie
December 3rd, 2023, 08:38 AM

...and NDSU didn't make mistakes? Ask the lineman that 2 holding and 2 false starts called against him to start with.

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2023, 08:48 AM
I think UIs coach gamed the ref on that one - how do you review a non-call?

I was wondering about that one ... they went to review to confirm the 1st downn, and came back with unrelated penalty, and an obscure one ... didn't have 5 people with #s between 50 and 70.

That was a ballsy combination of play calls by SIU coach ... especially starting with personnel to go for it on 4th, then scrambling to get punt team on field with play clock running down, then the reformation ... that is very creative.

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2023, 09:39 AM

youre obviously not an MVFC fan ... but if you didn't see their last drive with game tied, in terms of SIU's timeout and clock mgmt, it was terrible decision to go all in on making sure Idaho didn't get the ball back. I get the logic to a point. But they should have been more focused on getting the shortest FG they could for their backup (3 of 7) kicker. They had all 3 timeouts left .. and their 1st timeout cane with 5 seconds left in game, and was finally used AFTER watching 12 seconds run off the clock before finally running a play. I don't mean struggling to get line up for a play .. I mean SIU was lined up and stepped back to watch 12 seconds run off clock. So now they are at 22 with 5 seconds left and called their 1st timeout. Then they come back out and take a knee losing 2 yards back to 24 to line up the kick. So they used just 2 of 3 timeouts, both in last 5 seconds of game.

What made it really dumb was they were using their back (3 of 7) who according to announcers, had just won the starting job with a tryout during practive this past week. The HC was managing the clock like he had a stud kicker. 41 yards isn't a gimme for an good kicker at this level. Much less a backup who was 3 of 7 this year, and no kicks over 36.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2023, 09:41 AM
MVFC should have had 4 in quarterfinals, and Big Sky just 1 .. now it's 3 and 2.Yea, I am not really into rooting for conference foes in the grand scheme of things, never really quite understood that, truth be told.

That being said, SIU should have won that game but their coaches got the "vapors" in the final few minutes and it slipped away. What is it with special teams and Illinois as a whole. You guys could have kept those ****s from Grand Forks out of the playoffs with decent special teams play. That stuff is frustrating.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2023, 09:45 AM
I think UIs coach gamed the ref on that one - how do you review a non-call?That entire event is a mystery to me, it seemed like it was the equivalent of calling a retroactive holding penalty on a fumble or completed catch play review.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2023, 09:46 AM
I was wondering about that one ... they went to review to confirm the 1st downn, and came back with unrelated penalty, and an obscure one ... didn't have 5 people with #s between 50 and 70.

That was a ballsy combination of play calls by SIU coach ... especially starting with personnel to go for it on 4th, then scrambling to get punt team on field with play clock running down, then the reformation ... that is very creative.Exactly, they had the brains and the presence of mind to do that and then they slipped into a coma during the last 3 minutes of the game.

MR. CHICKEN
December 3rd, 2023, 09:47 AM
youre obviously not an MVFC fan ... but if you didn't see their last drive with game tied, in terms of SIU's timeout and clock mgmt, it was terrible decision to go all in on making sure Idaho didn't get the ball back. I get the logic to a point. But they should have been more focused on getting the shortest FG they could for their backup (3 of 7) kicker. They had all 3 timeouts left .. and their 1st timeout cane with 5 seconds left in game, and was finally used AFTER watching 12 seconds run off the clock before finally running a play. I don't mean struggling to get line up for a play .. I mean SIU was lined up and stepped back to watch 12 seconds run off clock. So now they are at 22 with 5 seconds left and called their 1st timeout. Then they come back out and take a knee losing 2 yards back to 24 to line up the kick. So they used just 2 of 3 timeouts, both in last 5 seconds of game.

What made it really dumb was they were using their back (3 of 7) who according to announcers, had just won the starting job with a tryout during practive this past week. The HC was managing the clock like he had a stud kicker. 41 yards isn't a gimme for an good kicker at this level. Much less a backup who was 3 of 7 this year, and no kicks over 36.

....DIDN'T TAKE UH KNEE................ACTUALLAH RAN UH PLAY...HORIZONTALLY....(2YD. LOSS)...TA GET LITTLE BETTER ANGLE....PER ANNOUNCERS........AWK!

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2023, 09:53 AM
Yea, I am not really into rooting for conference foes in the grand scheme of things, never really quite understood that, truth be told.

That being said, SIU should have won that game but their coaches got the "vapors" in the final few minutes and it slipped away. What is it with special teams and Illinois as a whole. You guys could have kept those ****s from Grand Forks out of the playoffs with decent special teams play. That stuff is frustrating.

Well, come playoffs, I'm an MVFC fan.

In any case, our kicker has a strong leg, but slow approach and not very accurate .. definitely mental, which must be why he takes such a slow approach. We've had a few blocked, but that is also on kicker due to slow approach .. split seconds mean everything on placekicks. He was highly recruited out of HS .. but obviously needs a lot more instruction/refinement. We had couple bad games kicking this years .. cost us EIU game as well: 0 of 2 FGs from 37 and 40, plus a missed XP, we lost by 1 on road. We lost 4 games this year by total of 8 points .. 2 of 4 were arguably on placekicking .. EIU and UND.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2023, 10:04 AM
Well, come playoffs, I'm an MVFC fan.

In any case, our kicker has a strong leg, but slow approach and not very accurate .. definitely mental, which must be why he takes such a slow approach. We've had a few blocked, but that is also on kicker due to slow approach .. split seconds mean everything on placekicks. He was highly recruited out of HS .. but obviously needs a lot more instruction/refinement. We had couple bad games kicking this years .. cost us EIU game as well: 0 of 2 FGs from 37 and 40, plus a missed XP, we lost by 1 on road. We lost 4 games this year by total of 8 points .. 2 of 4 were arguably on placekicking .. EIU and UND.
I won't support SDSU, UND or UNI under any circumstances or in any situation, I was glad when UND lost, I was glad when UNI missed the playoffs again, and I will crack open a bottle of the bubbly if SDSU somehow manages to lose in the playoffs this year. I am sort of meh on the rest of the conference. It is probably a personality disorder on my part not to get ginned up when conference mates achieve some success, I consider them competitors and I am not in the habit of supporting competitors when their success could undermine something or someone I support.

Do Minnesota Vikings fans support the Packers if they are in the Super Bowl and visa versa? Chiefs and Raiders fans? Same principle really.

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2023, 10:07 AM
I won't support SDSU, UND or UNI under any circumstances or in any situation, I was glad when UND lost, I was glad when UNI missed the playoffs again, and I will crack open a bottle of the bubbly if SDSU somehow manages to lose in the playoffs this year. I am sort of meh on the rest of the conference. It is probably a personality disorder on my part not to get ginned up when conference mates achieve some success, I consider them competitors and I am not in the habit of supporting competitors when their success could undermine something or someone I support.

Do Minnesota Vikings fans support the Packers if they are in the Super Bowl and visa versa? Chiefs and Raiders fans? Same principle really.

Loosen up, bro. It's small-time college football....xlolx

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2023, 10:17 AM
Loosen up, bro. It's small-time college football....xlolx:D Can't do it dude, too dug in, I was sort of rooting for SIU last night as I know a few alums from there that I worked with through the years but when the Bud Light Vapor Lock kicked in at the end of the game, I cut them loose.

Also, just for my entertainment, why would my example of Vikes/Packers/Chiefs/Raiders be any different than my point regarding conference foes, because it is PRO FOOTBALL?? That I don't get, why would "vesting" in a pro franchise be more understandable than your local college? I get that it is small time football but that is what we have. Does SIU have any real rivalries? This is a serious question because I don't know. I do know that the guys I know that are SIU alum despise NDSU and would not support them under any circumstances in anything football related.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2023, 10:19 AM

oh bull

You’ve been on the Bunny Wagon all damn year

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2023, 10:48 AM
oh bull

You’ve been on the Bunny Wagon all damn yearI recognize greatness when I see it but SDSU and everybody associated with that place can suck my dick. And I mean that sincerely. Do you honestly think that my remarks regarding their football team means that I wish them success?? Screw that.

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2023, 11:04 AM
....DIDN'T TAKE UH KNEE................ACTUALLAH RAN UH PLAY...HORIZONTALLY....(2YD. LOSS)...TA GET LITTLE BETTER ANGLE....PER ANNOUNCERS........AWK!
yep .. I had said to get a better line on kick ... awwwkkkk ???

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2023, 11:43 AM
Exactly, they had the brains and the presence of mind to do that and then they slipped into a coma during the last 3 minutes of the game.

it was dumb even if you have a stud kicker ... off the charts dumb given their kicking issues. Not to mention, they have a good defense .. so if they left 30 or 45 seconds on clock after a FG, or maybe even a TD ... have some confidence your defense will hold the line. Either way, you play the series to score and they were driving easily

ysubigred
December 3rd, 2023, 12:06 PM
Wow.. drove home from Philly, got home just in time to see this game.

1st off, congrats to Idaho.. they were one of my picks to win it all this year.

2nd condolences to SIU. What a shame you all did a Ytown with self-destruction penalties.

Man, it really sucks to lose a game like that. I guess I'd rather be in my teams situation and take a severe ass whooping and never got my hopes up..

Onwards to next year..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2023, 12:52 PM
:D Can't do it dude, too dug in, I was sort of rooting for SIU last night as I know a few alums from there that I worked with through the years but when the Bud Light Vapor Lock kicked in at the end of the game, I cut them loose.

Also, just for my entertainment, why would my example of Vikes/Packers/Chiefs/Raiders be any different than my point regarding conference foes, because it is PRO FOOTBALL?? That I don't get, why would "vesting" in a pro franchise be more understandable than your local college? I get that it is small time football but that is what we have. Does SIU have any real rivalries? This is a serious question because I don't know. I do know that the guys I know that are SIU alum despise NDSU and would not support them under any circumstances in anything football related.

I don't know, I have zero interest in the NFL - way too much dead time.

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2023, 01:11 PM
Wow.. drove home from Philly, got home just in time to see this game.

1st off, congrats to Idaho.. they were one of my picks to win it all this year.

2nd condolences to SIU. What a shame you all did a Ytown with self-destruction penalties.

Man, it really sucks to lose a game like that. I guess I'd rather be in my teams situation and take a severe ass whooping and never got my hopes up..

Onwards to next year..

I think I'd rather play well enough win against a top 4 seed - there was a lot of talk about there not being six teams of play off caliber in the MVFC and letting another Pioneer team in instead of SIU. Looks like they wanted to leave the wrong team out...:D

ysubigred
December 3rd, 2023, 01:15 PM
I think I'd rather play well enough win against a top 4 seed - there was a lot of talk about there not being six teams of play off caliber in the MVFC and letting another Pioneer team in instead of SIU. Looks like they wanted to leave the wrong team out...:DThis whole playoff seeding is wrong. Nova is MVFC big and physical. They were smashing Guins everywhere. IMHO, Nova would skull drag Idaho.

Preferred Walk-On
December 3rd, 2023, 01:15 PM
it was dumb even if you have a stud kicker ... off the charts dumb given their kicking issues. Not to mention, they have a good defense .. so if they left 30 or 45 seconds on clock after a FG, or maybe even a TD ... have some confidence your defense will hold the line. Either way, you play the series to score and they were driving easily

Um, this^^^

I have never understood playing for a field goal when you have the amount of time left that SIU did (over 4 min left). Not saying you need to hurry, but they took 3 min to move the ball to the Idaho 40 (purposefully), then took one (only one) shot down the field with about 1 min left. I know it is hindsight, but SIU should have used an ever-so-slight amount of urgency to attempt to get the ball closer with a bit more time left to have a few attempts at the end zone. This was prevent offense at its finest, and we all know what prevent anything does.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2023, 02:42 PM
I recognize greatness when I see it but SDSU and everybody associated with that place can suck my dick. And I mean that sincerely. Do you honestly think that my remarks regarding their football team means that I wish them success?? Screw that.

xnodx
:D

Bisonator
December 3rd, 2023, 03:23 PM
SIU choked that one away congrats to Idaho for taking advantage and advancing!

Dane96
December 3rd, 2023, 03:44 PM
Is there an idaho message board?

peavy
December 3rd, 2023, 03:52 PM
Is there an idaho message board?

https://247sports.com/college/idaho/board/vandal-football-103901/