PDA

View Full Version : Beat a I-A and win the NC

89Hen
December 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM
A tidbit from the News Journal (DE paper)... This will only be the second time the I-AA Champion has defeated a I-A in the same season since 1998.

1999 Georgia Southern Oregon State L, 48-41
2000 Georgia Southern Georgia L, 29-7
2001 Montana Hawaii L, 30-12
2002 Western Kentucky Kansas State L, 48-3
2003 Delaware Navy W, 21-17
2004 James Madison West Virginia L, 45-10
2005 Appalachian State Kansas L, 36-8
2006 Appalachian State North Carolina St. L, 23-10
2007 Delaware Navy W, 59-52
2007 Appalachian State Michigan W, 34-32

(YSU won the title and beat Kent State in 1997 and UMass didn't play a I-A in 1998)

So this begs the question... is it worth it to play a I-A from a NC perspective?

appfan2008
December 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM
yes it is worth it... it just shows that winning it isnt worth anything... and in 05 we lost to kansas and LSU!

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Yes, well maybe not for the NC...but, it's worth about $400K.

ERASU2113
December 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Beating a 1-A opponent then winning the NC puts more shine to the championship. At least makes more notice.

You win the NC and can jump up and take down one of the big boys? It should be done every year.

ASU98
December 12th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Does anybody remember what year it was that ASU played Auburn? And, speaking of these things, does anybody know of a web site that shows the outcome of games during ASU's previous seasons, particularly mid-90s?

KiddBrewer
December 12th, 2007, 04:16 PM
and the last time it was done.....deleware beat navy.......uh ohxsmhx

na, i got faith.xthumbsupx

APPST '93
December 12th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Does anybody remember what year it was that ASU played Auburn? And, speaking of these things, does anybody know of a web site that shows the outcome of games during ASU's previous seasons, particularly mid-90s?

I'm thinking '98 or '99.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 12th, 2007, 04:18 PM
FBS games = $$$

ASU98
December 12th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I'm thinking '98 or '99.

Good Gracious. It found it; You were right...it was 99. My how time flies. I really thought it was about four years ago.

Hoboken Dukes
December 12th, 2007, 04:49 PM
gonna happen again next year when we beat the tar out of Duke and then roll thru the sched to the NC!!!!

let's go Hens!

TwinTownBisonFan
December 12th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I say it's worth it... go in to their stadium, take their $250-500k, bring 30,000 of your fans, run all over them, walk away with a win, embarrass a once storied program in front of their recruits... and still not be eligible for the playoffss ;) (this is not sour grapes, I understand the rules, I'm just saying NDSU isn't even a full FCS school yet)

Say what you will, but I like playing the FBS teams, for the exposure, and for the sheer joy when the wins come (and that's been more and more frequent)

I know we've been over this a million times, but tell me you weren't jacked up when Appy won? or how about when NDSU whipped the eventual MAC champs by 30, or when they beat Minnesota with 30,000 Bison fans in the Metrodome? Or when Delaware beat Navy? Hell, even when UMass gave BC all it could handle...

It's good exposure for our brand of football, and I think it's good for college football in general to play up and to play down.

ERASU2113
December 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
gonna happen again next year when we beat the tar out of Duke and then roll thru the sched to the NC!!!!

let's go Hens!

Whoa Duke actually said ok to playing you guys? I feel sorry for them xlolx

HaveFunKc
December 12th, 2007, 05:21 PM

let's go Hens!

Darn!! I was hoping Duke would be our 'cupcake' game next year. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

This is THE GAME! To be the best, you got to beat the best! xthumbsupx

unicat87
December 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I say it's worth it... go in to their stadium, take their $250-500k, bring 30,000 of your fans, run all over them, walk away with a win, embarrass a once storied program in front of their recruits... and still not be eligible for the playoffss ;) (this is not sour grapes, I understand the rules, I'm just saying NDSU isn't even a full FCS school yet)

Say what you will, but I like playing the FBS teams, for the exposure, and for the sheer joy when the wins come (and that's been more and more frequent)

I know we've been over this a million times, but tell me you weren't jacked up when Appy won? or how about when NDSU whipped the eventual MAC champs by 30, or when they beat Minnesota with 30,000 Bison fans in the Metrodome? Or when Delaware beat Navy? Hell, even when UMass gave BC all it could handle...

It's good exposure for our brand of football, and I think it's good for college football in general to play up and to play down.

Great post. But, aren't the xDSUs going to full FCS and Gateway conference members starting with 2008 (next season)? People here in Iowa really started to pay attention when we (UNI) beat Iowa State in convincing fashion.

Also, what was the FCS vs. FBS record this year, what with ASU and NDSU and DE beating FBS teams? -unicat87

Dblue
December 12th, 2007, 05:32 PM

asu98 you can check it out here

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa_team_index.php

Enjoy it:)

Go Hensxthumbsupx

unicat87
December 12th, 2007, 06:32 PM
asu98 you can check it out here

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa_team_index.php

Enjoy it:)

Go Hensxthumbsupx

That College Football Warehouse web site is totally awesome! WOW! xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx -unicat87

ERASU2113
December 12th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Also, what was the FCS vs. FBS record this year, what with ASU and NDSU and DE beating FBS teams? -unicat87

It might have been better than past years but really nothing to write home about. Granted the wins against Michigan, Navy, Wisconsin, Iowa State and so on are great...

other FBS schools played more mediocre FCS schools
Alabama v. WCU
Wisconsin v. The Citadel
Clemson v. Furman
N.C. State v. Wofford
Colorado State v. Ga. Southern

just a few off the top of my head.

Hoyadestroya85
December 12th, 2007, 06:43 PM
its gonna happen next year too..
When West Virginia goes down in week one

unicat87
December 12th, 2007, 06:46 PM
It might have been better than past years but really nothing to write home about. Granted the wins against Michigan, Navy, Wisconsin, Iowa State and so on are great...

other FBS schools played more mediocre FCS schools
Alabama v. WCU
Wisconsin v. The Citadel
Clemson v. Furman
N.C. State v. Wofford
Colorado State v. Ga. Southern

just a few off the top of my head.

You are correct, there were a few FBS walkovers against the FCS as well. I just wondered what the trend was. Thanks! -unicat87

ERASU2113
December 12th, 2007, 06:46 PM
its gonna happen next year too..
When West Virginia goes down in week one

Please do xthumbsupx

I don't like WVU...simply because they use our mascot :D

Not to mention they are overrated

ERASU2113
December 12th, 2007, 06:47 PM
You are correct, there were a few FBS walkovers against the FCS as well. I just wondered what the trend was. Thanks! -unicat87

Yea I think the trend is showing the FCS is starting to compete, if not beat, FBS schools. Looks like it could continue and bring FBS and FCS even closer talent wise.....minus the difference in scholarships. xsmiley_wix

mvemjsunpx
December 12th, 2007, 07:35 PM
A tidbit from the News Journal (DE paper)... This will only be the second time the I-AA Champion has defeated a I-A in the same season since 1998.

(YSU won the title and beat Kent State in 1997 and UMass didn't play a I-A in 1998)

So this begs the question... is it worth it to play a I-A from a NC perspective?

No, it's the third.

Montana lost to Hawai'i and beat Idaho in 2001.

poly51
December 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Scheduling FCS against FBS is great. When you win against them that win lasts forever. The FBS fans never forget that loss. Fresno State fans still talk about being shut out 26-0 the last time they played in San Luis Obispo. And that was in 1979.

Cal Poly is 2-4 against FBS since moving to FCS in 1994.

BigApp
December 12th, 2007, 10:31 PM
IIRC, App and Delaware are the first two FCS teams to defeat bowl-bound FBS schools.

DinoDex200
December 12th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Good Gracious. It found it; You were right...it was 99. My how time flies. I really thought it was about four years ago.

Crazy to think it was Tuberville's first game! If we had the offense we have now, and the talent...we win that game. Auburn was down, and Tubs had cleaned out all the garbage from the Bowden era...

YoUDeeMan
December 12th, 2007, 10:37 PM
IIRC, App and Delaware are the first two FCS teams to defeat bowl-bound FBS schools.

I believe Navy also went to a bowl in 2003. xnodx

ERASU2113
December 12th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Scheduling FCS against FBS is great. When you win against them that win lasts forever. The FBS fans never forget that loss. Fresno State fans still talk about being shut out 26-0 the last time they played in San Luis Obispo. And that was in 1979.

Cal Poly is 2-4 against FBS since moving to FCS in 1994.

Case in point I believe Michigan wants a rematch.
They can play us all they want but we will always have game #1 :D

JayJ79
December 13th, 2007, 12:06 AM

The FCS went 9-68 against the FBS this year.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=87537

JayJ79
December 13th, 2007, 12:09 AM

Central Michigan is also bowl-bound (they're playing Purdue in the Poinsetta Bowl or something).

So add NDSU to the list.

TheValleyRaider
December 13th, 2007, 12:47 AM

Not the first two

Just from the past couple of years:
2006-Portland State over New Mexico (UNM went to New Mexico Bowl)
2003-Delaware over Navy (Navy went to Houston Bowl)
2001-Northwestern State over TCU (TCU went to Galleryfurniture.com Bowl)

That's from combing the above article for the W's vs. I-A/FBS teams and then matching them to any bowls that year. It's not common, but it does happen. Although, for the record, all 3 of those teams lost their Bowl game. Not sure I want to be Michigan or Navy going into this year's game xwhistlex

Peems
December 13th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Tons of faulty info in this thread.:p

First off as already pointed out by a fellow Griz. UM beat Idaho in 2001, the game was rescheduled because of 9/11 I believe and was played after the cat/griz game. Also about the bowl bound teams, Valley Raider cleared some of it up, but just this year didn't NDSU beat MAAC champ Central Michigan(who is bowl bound)?

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Of course it is worth it to play a FBS team. I mean all of the national champions have at least played a FBS team. Just alot of them haven't beaten that FBS team. I know I would love to play ISU every year and would have liked to play Iowa this year since I think we could've finally beat them.

89Hen
December 13th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Of course it is worth it to play a FBS team. I mean all of the national champions have at least played a FBS team. Just alot of them haven't beaten that FBS team. I know I would love to play ISU every year and would have liked to play Iowa this year since I think we could've finally beat them.
A good question may be, how many teams have missed the playoffs by one game thanks in part to losing to a I-A? xeyebrowx

Take your school for example...

2006: UNI 7-4 with a loss to Iowa State
2000: UNI 7-4 with a loss to Boise
1997: UNI 7-7 with a loss to Iowa

It's no guarantee that you would have gotten in at 8-3 (you didn't in 1989 even though you beat Kansas State).

The reason this is a question for Delaware is that our coach is on record of saying perhaps playing a I-A isn't such a great idea every year. The one thing we have going for us though is we can make just as much money scheduling a home game as travelling to Navy. For schools that need the money, I guess it's a tougher choice. xpeacex

89Hen
December 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM
It's no guarantee that you would have gotten in at 8-3 (you didn't in 1989 even though you beat Kansas State).

The reason this is a question for Delaware is that our coach is on record of saying perhaps playing a I-A isn't such a great idea every year. The one thing we have going for us though is we can make just as much money scheduling a home game as travelling to Navy. For schools that need the money, I guess it's a tougher choice. xpeacex
Yet another question arises from above. Would you rather have a I-A win, or a trip to the playoffs (not neccessarily a championship, just a berth)?

In 1985 the Hens beat Navy and Temply but missed the playoffs. I'm not sure which is better. Both games were at home, so there was plenty to cheer about that season. And the Hens make the playoffs enough that missing them one year isn't the end of the world. I'm really not sure which I'd take some years. xeyebrowx xconfusedx

devilhen
December 13th, 2007, 08:41 AM
2001-Northwestern State over TCU (TCU went to Galleryfurniture.com Bowl)

The Galleryfurniture.com Bowl?? That shouldn't count on general principle due to the goofy name!!xeyebrowx

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2007, 09:33 AM
You make some very valid points. We may have made it last year without the ISU loss, but then again we definitely would have made it if we hadn't lost to DII North Dakota at home. I sometimes wonder if it is worth scheduling DII schools. It may be worth scheduling FBS schools, for us at least, because we can make much more money by scheduling a FBS school than if we just had another home game.

Edit: Well I guess I don't know if that is true, but if we beat a big instate school we might get more exposure and get some of the better instate recruits

89Hen
December 13th, 2007, 09:51 AM
You make some very valid points. We may have made it last year without the ISU loss, but then again we definitely would have made it if we hadn't lost to DII North Dakota at home. I sometimes wonder if it is worth scheduling DII schools. It may be worth scheduling FBS schools, for us at least, because we can make much more money by scheduling a FBS school than if we just had another home game.

Edit: Well I guess I don't know if that is true, but if we beat a big instate school we might get more exposure and get some of the better instate recruits
That year I mentioned when you went 8-3 with a win over Kansas State, it would appear you also lost to Mankato State.... I didn't even know Mankato was a state. xeyebrowx

TheValleyRaider
December 13th, 2007, 10:22 AM
The Galleryfurniture.com Bowl?? That shouldn't count on general principle due to the goofy name!!xeyebrowx

Well, I didn't want to count New Mexico playing in the New Mexico Bowl, but you weren't specific enough, so there :p

gt_bison
December 13th, 2007, 01:20 PM
That year I mentioned when you went 8-3 with a win over Kansas State, it would appear you also lost to Mankato State.... I didn't even know Mankato was a state. xeyebrowx

It isn't any more. ;) They've since acknowledged that they are in Minnesota and go by Minnesota State University, Mankato. Or maybe it's Minnesota State University-Mankato. One of Moorhead and Mankato is "-M" and the other is ",M", and I can never remember which is which.