PDA

View Full Version : 2023 AGS PLAYOFF PICK'EM CONTEST (Round 1)

MTfan4life
November 20th, 2023, 11:19 PM
It's finally that time of year again! The 2023 FCS Playoffs are upon us. This will once again be a pick'em contest, rather than a one-time bracket submission.

However, there will be a slight change starting in the round of 8. From that point, you will be predicting not just the quarterfinals, but also the semis and championship.

Here is the link for the picks for Round 1: https://forms.gle/3gNSwDvGrkDQgrpv8

Also, there will be bonus questions for a game of the week from each of the 3 lower division playoff races. I believe both d2 and d3 are currently in the round of 16 and the NAIA is in the quarterfinals. Those bonus picks will only be worth 5 points.

Scoring:
10 points for every correct pick.
Bonus structure:
If less than 1/2 correctly picked game, 2.5 extra points.
If less than 1/3, 5 extra
Less than 1/5, 7.5 extra
Less than 1/10, 10 extra

Deduction structure.
Your score will be deducted by 0.1 for each 1 point your score is off from the predicted margin of victory. That's only if you predict the correct winner. For any incorrect prediction, I will reward you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

You will be rewarded for picking upsets. (Or at least having correctly picked a game less than 50% picked.) Of course, sometimes there are no upsets. (See the 2nd round in 2018.) There will be a couple prizes. You get like a banner below your name, and then also something of additional worth. To earn those, you need to be a consistent poster/user on here. I think we've set the minimum at 100 posts in the past. However ANYBODY with a profile can participate. You can still win bragging rights as a prize and nothing chaps the ass of a full year poster quite like a Novemberist coming in and beating them at one of their games! ;) xlolx

GAME ON.

OH I forgot. If you submit picks, please say so in this thread! That will keep this on the front page so every one can see. Also, that will allow me to review who has entered the contest! Thank you!

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2023, 12:00 AM
Something wrong? Is FUBeAR blocked…or maybe it’s all SoCon fans? :)

2023 AGS PLAYOFF PICK'EM CONTEST (Round 1)
The form 2023 AGS PLAYOFF PICK'EM CONTEST (Round 1) is no longer accepting responses.
Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake.

This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google. Report Abuse (https://docs.google.com/forms/u/0/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaDfLoraf5q7a5kHLXka3g9YD_s6sq4CM8Z6huSTFs hxgr3A/reportabuse) - Terms of Service (https://policies.google.com/terms) - Privacy Policy (https://policies.google.com/privacy)

https://www.gstatic.com/images/branding/googlelogo/svg/googlelogo_dark_clr_74x24px.svg Forms (https://www.google.com/forms/about/?utm_source=product&utm_medium=forms_logo&utm_campaign=forms)

topher99
November 21st, 2023, 07:09 AM
Yeah, it says it's no longer accepting submissions.

wapiti
November 21st, 2023, 10:52 AM
Yeah, it says it's no longer accepting submissions.

I see the same thing.

MSUBobcat
November 21st, 2023, 11:19 AM
Something wrong? Is FUBeAR blocked…or maybe it’s all SoCon fans? :)

2023 AGS PLAYOFF PICK'EM CONTEST (Round 1)
The form 2023 AGS PLAYOFF PICK'EM CONTEST (Round 1) is no longer accepting responses.
Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake.

This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google. Report Abuse (https://docs.google.com/forms/u/0/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaDfLoraf5q7a5kHLXka3g9YD_s6sq4CM8Z6huSTFs hxgr3A/reportabuse) - Terms of Service (https://policies.google.com/terms) - Privacy Policy (https://policies.google.com/privacy)

https://www.gstatic.com/images/branding/googlelogo/svg/googlelogo_dark_clr_74x24px.svg Forms (https://www.google.com/forms/about/?utm_source=product&utm_medium=forms_logo&utm_campaign=forms)

MTFan didn't receive your bribe.... er, dues payment.

RahRahRabbits
November 21st, 2023, 12:10 PM
-- RULES --->>
-- xdontknowx

Translation: (Rules flying right over the head of a confused RahRahRabbits)

...Might have to get my old calculus textbook out... my simple mechanical engineering degree mind is struggling to comprehend this scoring format in my first time participating. Should help my understanding of things when the form is actually open (currently closed for me too). It appears as though you could get a game winner correct, but still gain zero points if, say... NDSU is favored by 102, I say they'll win by 102-150 or so, and then they happen to win by only 2 points over the high-flying Pioneer League champ in a final score of 2-0?

Might have to start a new thread where I just argue with myself to pump my post numbers up. Everyone is invited to watch and/or participate.xlolx

SeattleCat
November 21st, 2023, 12:12 PM
in,. once it's fixed.

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2023, 12:50 PM
Might have to start…with myself to pump my post…up. Everyone is invited to watch and/or participate.xlolx
FUBeAR used to live in LA. Once, while working out in a North Hollywood gym, FUBeAR received an invitation that sounded a lot like this. FUBeAR never went to that gym again.

Hard pass RR Rabits. You do you though … so to speak

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2023, 01:38 PM
FUBeAR used to live in LA.

Bay Minette, Lower Alabama?

MTfan4life
November 21st, 2023, 02:09 PM
Hey, sorry all! I had the Form set to "Not accepting responses." It should be good to go now!

MSUBobcat
November 21st, 2023, 02:12 PM
-- RULES --->>
-- xdontknowx

Translation: (Rules flying right over the head of a confused RahRahRabbits)

...Might have to get my old calculus textbook out... my simple mechanical engineering degree mind is struggling to comprehend this scoring format in my first time participating. Should help my understanding of things when the form is actually open (currently closed for me too). It appears as though you could get a game winner correct, but still gain zero points if, say... NDSU is favored by 102, I say they'll win by 102-150 or so, and then they happen to win by only 2 points over the high-flying Pioneer League champ in a final score of 2-0?

Might have to start a new thread where I just argue with myself to pump my post numbers up. Everyone is invited to watch and/or participate.xlolx

The picks are all H2H, no point spread involved, but you DO individually pick a score, IIRC. So, say you pick the Bison, like everyone, to win 48-7, for a MOV of 41 points, but the game ends 42-14, a MOV of only 28. Your margin of victory was 13 points off (41-28). Multiplied by the .1 deduction means you lose 1.3 points. So your score is 10pts (picked the winner) less the error deduction of 1.3 points = 8.7pts.

Now say the previous applies, except swap that you alone called Drake to thump NDSU by 41, but Drake only whooped 'em by 28. You get the 10pts for the right pick, lose the 1.3 points for the MOV error, BUT since you picked the upset (along with less than 10% of total competitors), you get another 10 points, for a total of 18.7. The most points you can get is 20, which would be being one of just 10% to correct call a major upset (FCS) AND nail the MOV exactly. Theoretically, you could get a pick right and not get any points (or even negative points), i.e. you picked a team to win by 102 and they only won by 1, but your error in guessing MOV would have to be off by 100 or more, which..... yikes.

MTFan, or others, can confirm or refute my interpretation.

Edit: With the sheet now open, you don't pick the score for each team, just the MOV.

crusader11
November 21st, 2023, 02:13 PM
In.

wapiti
November 21st, 2023, 02:19 PM
In and may end in the negative.

KPSUL
November 21st, 2023, 02:26 PM
In

Must be fixed

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2023, 02:31 PM
The picks are all H2H, no point spread involved, but you DO individually pick a score, IIRC. So, say you pick the Bison, like everyone, to win 48-7, for a MOV of 41 points, but the game ends 42-14, a MOV of only 28. Your margin of victory was 13 points off (41-28). Multiplied by the .1 deduction means you lose 1.3 points. So your score is 10pts (picked the winner) less the error deduction of 1.3 points = 8.7pts.

Now say the previous applies, except swap that you alone called Drake to thump NDSU by 41, but Drake only whooped 'em by 28. You get the 10pts for the right pick, lose the 1.3 points for the MOV error, BUT since you picked the upset (along with less than 10% of total competitors), you get another 10 points, for a total of 18.7. The most points you can get is 20, which would be being one of just 10% to correct call a major upset (FCS) AND nail the MOV exactly. Theoretically, you could get a pick right and not get any points (or even negative points), i.e. you picked a team to win by 102 and they only won by 1, but your error in guessing MOV would have to be off by 100 or more, which..... yikes.

MTFan, or others, can confirm or refute my interpretation.

Edit: With the sheet now open, you don't pick the score for each team, just the MOV.
Uh-huh....Team FUBeAR includes a Georgia Tech MS Software Engineering/Mercer BS Computer Science & a Georgia BS Civil Engineering - they can figure all that out. FUBeAR majored in Philosophy, maybe...Uncertain. But, what are we truly certain of in this world? Are we certain we are even actually in this world? Big questions.

topher99
November 21st, 2023, 03:00 PM
In

RahRahRabbits
November 21st, 2023, 03:42 PM

Thanks! The lightbulb has been illuminated! I figured it had to be something like that.

It's finally that time of year again! The 2023 FCS Playoffs are upon us. This will once again be a pick'em contest, rather than a one-time bracket submission.
.....Deduction structure.
Your score will be deducted by 0.1 for each 1 point your score is off from the predicted margin of victory. That's only if you predict the correct winner. For any incorrect prediction, I will reward you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Mr. Montana Fan For Life, thanks for putting this together! The change in scoring from the regular season threw me for a loop here, though it certainly adds some fun complexity. Can you divulge the top-secret information of where you will be getting your official predicted margin of victory from? Not that it's going to matter for me at all, but just curious!

Edit: It's a hard day in the RRR household.... I rescind my obviously ridiculous question in hindsight... thank you Mr. MSUBobcat for straightening me out.... oof.

POD Knows
November 21st, 2023, 04:06 PM
IN

MSUBobcat
November 21st, 2023, 04:32 PM
Thanks! The lightbulb has been illuminated! I figured it had to be something like that.

Mr. Montana Fan For Life, thanks for putting this together! The change in scoring from the regular season threw me for a loop here, though it certainly adds some fun complexity. Can you divulge the top-secret information of where you will be getting your official predicted margin of victory from? Not that it's going to matter for me at all, but just curious!

The predicted margin of victory comes from your submission. Your predicted MOV is compared to ACTUAL MOV after the game to determine your error. I.e. you predict Bison to win by 24, actual results are Bison win by 20 (or 28), difference is 4, point deduction is .4 points. Doesn't matter if your MOV is above or below actual MOV.

ncspiderfan
November 21st, 2023, 04:36 PM
In

Thanks for putting this together MTfan.

I certainly appreciate another chance to finish at or near the bottom for a second time this season to confirm the first time was not a fluke.

RahRahRabbits
November 21st, 2023, 04:38 PM
The predicted margin of victory comes from your submission. Your predicted MOV is compared to ACTUAL MOV after the game to determine your error. I.e. you predict Bison to win by 24, actual results are Bison win by 20 (or 28), difference is 4, point deduction is .4 points. Doesn't matter if your MOV is above or below actual MOV.
https://cdn.blerp.com/thumbnails/41207d80-996f-11eb-a639-d99a6de1ba97

Some days are harder than others.... Today is one of those days... Sorry for the winning the stupidity battle today, folks. Ha! Thank you!

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2023, 05:35 PM
Picks are in!

KPSUL
November 21st, 2023, 05:36 PM
Uh-huh....Team FUBeAR includes a Georgia Tech MS Software Engineering/Mercer BS Computer Science & a Georgia BS Civil Engineering - they can figure all that out. FUBeAR majored in Philosophy, maybe...Uncertain. But, what are we truly certain of in this world? Are we certain we are even actually in this world? Big questions.

The new Avatar looks good! Very intimidating, just like the AGS Playoff Pick'em scoring system.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2023, 05:48 PM
RahRah been watching reruns of Welcome Back Kotter ….

Grizzlies82
November 21st, 2023, 06:01 PM
I'm in.
Thank you for setting this up again!

Bisonator
November 21st, 2023, 07:07 PM
In

Sitting Bull
November 21st, 2023, 07:59 PM
In

JacksFan40
November 21st, 2023, 08:03 PM
In

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2023, 08:42 AM
In

ElCid
November 22nd, 2023, 08:56 AM
In

TrooperCoats
November 22nd, 2023, 01:30 PM
in

The Cats
November 22nd, 2023, 02:33 PM
IN

McNeese75
November 22nd, 2023, 02:36 PM
In

RahRahRabbits
November 22nd, 2023, 03:54 PM
In. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

taper
November 22nd, 2023, 06:00 PM
In

mvfcfan
November 22nd, 2023, 07:56 PM
In

Winindy
November 22nd, 2023, 08:15 PM
in

SUPharmacist
November 22nd, 2023, 08:34 PM
In

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2023, 08:57 PM
Keep on signing up! The more the merrier!

Roamingriz
November 22nd, 2023, 09:09 PM
In

bonarae
November 23rd, 2023, 06:41 AM
In at last. I've been ill the past few weeks hence this affected my time to research on the teams aside from my thesis proposal in the local graduate school.

Carolina010
November 23rd, 2023, 10:07 AM
In

caribbeanhen
November 23rd, 2023, 12:28 PM
I'm on the fence for now. Birthday weekend is coming. Time to rest from the pick'ems for now. xpeacex

Thats weak Bonarae

you could of knocked out the picks in the same time invested a making that post

Happy Thanksgiving! I assume it was yesterday for you

The Yo Show
November 23rd, 2023, 02:16 PM
In!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2023, 04:39 PM
IN

bonarae
November 23rd, 2023, 10:02 PM
Thats weak Bonarae

you could of knocked out the picks in the same time invested a making that post

Happy Thanksgiving! I assume it was yesterday for you

Been ill as well the past few weeks hence I haven't been active on here that much. Will think of the picks now.

ming01
November 23rd, 2023, 10:51 PM
In

APaladindad
November 24th, 2023, 12:31 AM
In support of FURMAN and the SOCON.

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2023, 06:32 AM
Been ill as well the past few weeks hence I haven't been active on here that much. Will think of the picks now.

Be well

atthewbon
November 24th, 2023, 08:57 AM
In. Thanks for doing this

THE DANIMAL
November 24th, 2023, 11:00 AM
I'm in, thank you for tracking all of this.

MR. CHICKEN
November 24th, 2023, 11:12 AM
IN

2wagriz
November 24th, 2023, 05:39 PM
In!
Thank you!!

MTfan4life
November 24th, 2023, 09:25 PM
Just 12 hours left!

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2023, 09:33 PM
In - Thanks!

Good luck & good health to all Teams!

Libertine
November 24th, 2023, 10:43 PM
I'm in

Catbooster
November 25th, 2023, 01:25 AM
In

grizband
November 25th, 2023, 01:32 AM
In

mvemjsunpx
November 25th, 2023, 04:00 AM
In

MTfan4life
November 25th, 2023, 12:09 PM
If you want to see all the picks, they can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gf2Q67IVIKXQFG1yoSydnao3dsDyZZgk6UJnemw7F14/edit?usp=sharing

RahRahRabbits
November 27th, 2023, 11:59 AM
If you want to see all the picks, they can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gf2Q67IVIKXQFG1yoSydnao3dsDyZZgk6UJnemw7F14/edit?usp=sharing

It appears you gave a +2.5 point bonus for having a MOV right on the money, though correct me if I am wrong, I didn't see anything about that in the initial post rules. Was that an intentional decision?