PDA

View Full Version : FCS Head Coaching Changes

acbearkat
November 19th, 2023, 02:48 PM
I believe as of right now there are four head coaching openings in the FCS. They are

Stony Brook
Northwestern State
Southern
East Tennessee State

There are likely to be more head coaching changes announced tomorrow and the rest of the week. None of the coaches who have been fired or will be fired will be receiving a $70 million plus buyout as Jimbo Fisher will be from Texas A&M.

bonarae
November 19th, 2023, 03:41 PM
Columbia as well?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2023, 04:51 PM
Hendrickson is out at Western Illinois

ST_Lawson
November 19th, 2023, 05:30 PM
Hendrickson is out at Western Illinois

Hiring an alum of the program worked out great for SIU and it looks like it's working out well for EIU...but apparently not such a great idea for us. At least, not one who only has 3 years of HC experience at the NAIA level.

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2023, 07:02 PM
Speculative coaching change. Chesney goes to Syracuse. The ‘Cuse can’t afford or attract another sitting P5 coach, and they need someone to “sell the program” and build a culture and perform miracles in recruiting. Syracuse has become a bottom 5 program in a P5, and their recruiting classes are consistently ranked below several G5 programs.

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2023, 07:08 PM
David Archer is out after 11 seasons at Cornell with a 29-71 record. He was a very questionable hire from the start, being a position coach in his early 30’s who did not have a head coach resume. Somehow, he lasted 11 years despite at no time showing he was a competent head coach who was building a winning program.

bonarae
November 19th, 2023, 07:59 PM
David Archer is out after 11 seasons at Cornell with a 29-71 record. He was a very questionable hire from the start, being a position coach in his early 30’s who did not have a head coach resume. Somehow, he lasted 11 years despite at no time showing he was a competent head coach who was building a winning program.

What took Cornell too long to learn? xsmhx

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2023, 08:35 PM
What took Cornell too long to learn? xsmhx

2 theories:

He’s an alum who was very well liked and they thought he could grow into the position.

Cornell does not care about football.

ngineer
November 19th, 2023, 08:57 PM
Speculative coaching change. Chesney goes to Syracuse. The ‘Cuse can’t afford or attract another sitting P5 coach, and they need someone to “sell the program” and build a culture and perform miracles in recruiting. Syracuse has become a bottom 5 program in a P5, and their recruiting classes are consistently ranked below several G5 programs.

Makes sense. Staying within the region, Chesney is a known name that should help their recruiting. Sad to see such a venerable program flounder for so long.

- - - Updated - - -

2 theories:

He’s an alum who was very well liked and they thought he could grow into the position.

Ice Hockey and wrestling at Cornell.

WestCoastAggie
November 19th, 2023, 09:10 PM
I believe as of right now there are four head coaching openings in the FCS. They are

Stony Brook
Northwestern State
Southern
East Tennessee State

There are likely to be more head coaching changes announced tomorrow and the rest of the week. None of the coaches who have been fired or will be fired will be receiving a $70 million plus buyout as Jimbo Fisher will be from Texas A&M.

Texas Southern and South Carolina State

acbearkat
November 20th, 2023, 10:13 AM
There hasn't been any news come out this morning, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear SFA (finished 3-8) and McNeese (finished 0-10) make head coaching changes. The Colby Carthel hire for SFA hasn't worked out the way they thought it would so far.

McCowboys
November 20th, 2023, 10:25 AM
There hasn't been any news come out this morning, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear SFA (finished 3-8) and McNeese (finished 0-10) make head coaching changes. The Colby Carthel hire for SFA hasn't worked out the way they thought it would so far.

A reliable source has said Goff is safe. He is on the second year of his 3-year contract, but the source did say there would be coaching changes, most likely on the defensive side. We will see if this is true.

Ironically, McNeese was very interested in hiring Carthel, but SFA got him instead. I don't really know what the problem has been this season.

acbearkat
November 20th, 2023, 10:27 AM
Northern Arizona has made a head coaching change.

Sources: Northern Arizona making a head coaching change - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-northern-arizona-making-a-head-coaching-change-chris-ball)

dbackjon
November 20th, 2023, 01:05 PM
Northern Arizona has made a head coaching change.

Sources: Northern Arizona making a head coaching change - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-northern-arizona-making-a-head-coaching-change-chris-ball)

I am a little surprised by this. 5-6 this year. Bad loss to UTU, but did beat Montana, Weber and UC-Davis

https://azdailysun.com/sports/local/ball-coaching-staff-out-at-northern-arizona-football/article_f69b4d94-87c3-11ee-a633-7fe548d256af.html

acbearkat
November 20th, 2023, 01:30 PM
Moorhead State is moving in a new direction.

Sources: Morehead State set to make change at head coach - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-morehead-state-set-to-make-change-at-head-coach)

Go Green
November 20th, 2023, 01:38 PM
2 theories:

While I agree that you provided the bulk of the reasons why Archer lasted this long, it's probably worth mentioning that seemingly every season, Cornell would play out of its minds and upset a league power. It happened again this season when they knocked off Yale. As a result, I think Cornell always seemed buy into the "we're SOOO close to turning it around" kool-aid.

Eventually, Cornell got sick of seeing the same story every season and realized that they were never going to turn it around under Archer...

SeattleCat
November 20th, 2023, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't be surprise to see a couple of coordinators at Montana State shown the door, I guess we'll see what happens in a few days.

POD Knows
November 20th, 2023, 03:45 PM
I am a little surprised by this. 5-6 this year. Bad loss to UTU, but did beat Montana, Weber and UC-Davis

https://azdailysun.com/sports/local/ball-coaching-staff-out-at-northern-arizona-football/article_f69b4d94-87c3-11ee-a633-7fe548d256af.htmlNAU had more quality wins than MSU. xnodx

dbackjon
November 20th, 2023, 04:33 PM
NAU had more quality wins than MSU. xnodx

Yup!

acbearkat
November 20th, 2023, 05:13 PM
Texas Southern is now open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McCowboys
November 21st, 2023, 07:02 AM

The Lake Charles American Press confirmed today that Goff would return because "it would be too expensive" for McNeese to buy out the remainder of his contract. I was wrong. He had signed a 5-year contract and so has 3 left. Goff met with AD Schroyer and the AD told him the performance was "unacceptable". Goff promised changes, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Goff talked about recruiting, but if there are not changes on the coaching staff, I don't think that will cut it with McNeese fans. Now, if we were LSU fans, there would be "for sale" signs in the yards of some of the coaching staff. ;-)

Go Green
November 21st, 2023, 08:53 AM
No official word yet, but the Columbia Football Blog is saying that interim HC Mark Fabish will not be retained.

SDFS
November 21st, 2023, 09:48 AM
NAU had more quality wins than MSU. xnodx

So, would that get them the #5 seed and a bye?

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2023, 09:57 AM
The Lake Charles American Press confirmed today that Goff would return because "it would be too expensive" for McNeese to buy out the remainder of his contract. I was wrong. He had signed a 5-year contract and so has 3 left. Goff met with AD Schroyer and the AD told him he was not pleased. Goff promised changes, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Goff talked about recruiting, but if there are not changes on the coaching staff, I don't think that will cut it with McNeese fans. Now, if we were LSU fans, there would be "for sale" signs in the yards of some of the coaching staff. ;-)

This was almost the exact same situation we were in. Essentially a winless season, HC who was at the end of year 2 of a 5-year contract. I'm not entirely sure how we came up with the money...maybe it was a situation where they calculated that the damage from another couple of horrible seasons would cost more than what we're eating on his contract...but we were able to do it. I hope it was the correct decision (if there is one).

dbackjon
November 21st, 2023, 10:42 AM

Sure! We will take it!

TTUEagles
November 21st, 2023, 12:10 PM
Tennessee Tech is making a head coaching change...

McCowboys
November 21st, 2023, 04:45 PM
This was almost the exact same situation we were in. Essentially a winless season, HC who was at the end of year 2 of a 5-year contract. I'm not entirely sure how we came up with the money...maybe it was a situation where they calculated that the damage from another couple of horrible seasons would cost more than what we're eating on his contract...but we were able to do it. I hope it was the correct decision (if there is one).

They wanted this guy bad (and he may still work out) and paid him the highest salary ever for a head football coach at McNeese. IF McNeese still weren't recovering from two back-to-back hurricanes, we might could have managed. In his defense, he came into a pretty bad situation and McNeese had the 3rd youngest team in FCS this season. So there is some hope if he will make some changes with the assistants. The Cowboys have always prided themselves on a good to great defense, and this was the worst ever!
If there is not much improvement next season, I'm sure McNeese will pony up the money from somewhere to buy out his contract.

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2023, 01:34 AM
Columbia as well?

Yep.

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2023, 01:36 AM
No official word yet, but the Columbia Football Blog is saying that interim HC Mark Fabish will not be retained.

I feel badly for Fabish.

Panther88
November 22nd, 2023, 04:25 AM
A small group of us recommended Colby Carthel for the PVAMU HC position immediately after his championship run @ aTm-Commerce.

I believe him being HC @ PVAMU would have been more impactful w/ us than at SFA. He could have easily amassed 2-3 SWAC football championships w/ his ability to recruit + O/D/STs philosophy. Easily.

McCowboys
November 22nd, 2023, 06:41 AM

From todays Lake Charles American Press:

FOOTBALL CLARIFICATION
Athletic Director Heath Schroyer has cleared up some of the questions surrounding the retention of Coach Goff. He said his decision to bring Goff back had nothing to do with the buyout and more about establishing continuity and believing Goff is still the coach to turn this program around. Schroyer said that Goff actually has only two more years on his initial contract with a possible rollover in year five if McNeese wants to extend him.

DFW HOYA
November 22nd, 2023, 11:50 AM
Columbia's statement on its vacancy: yes, another "national" search.

https://gocolumbialions.com/news/2023/11/21/columbia-athletics-announces-nationwide-search-for-head-football-coach.aspx

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2023, 12:59 PM
Columbia's statement on its vacancy: yes, another "national" search.

https://gocolumbialions.com/news/2023/11/21/columbia-athletics-announces-nationwide-search-for-head-football-coach.aspx

For all the difference it will make, maybe Columbia and Cornell should just swap coaches. 🤔

POD Knows
November 22nd, 2023, 01:19 PM
NO, just pointing out that quality wins and a seed do not necessarily correlate, or lack thereof.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2023, 01:26 PM
Illinois State and N Iowa could beat half the playoff teams

8 teams from MVFC

why not ?

Libertine
November 27th, 2023, 09:34 AM
Footballscoop is reporting that Gardner-Webb HC Tre Lamb is leaving for the same job at ETSU.

acbearkat
November 27th, 2023, 08:25 PM
It looks like the Holy Cross job will not be coming open.

Sources: Syracuse search has key figures - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-syracuse-search-has-key-figures)

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 28th, 2023, 11:06 AM
Footballscoop is reporting that Gardner-Webb HC Tre Lamb is leaving for the same job at ETSU.

Confirmed: https://etsubucs.com/news/2023/11/27/football-etsu-names-tre-lamb-football-head-coach.aspx

acbearkat
November 28th, 2023, 11:17 AM
According to Football Scoop, Northwestern State is hiring a Division III head coach in Blaine McCorkie. He is currently the head football coach at Bellhaven University in Mississippi.

Sources: Northwestern State to hire D3 head coach to lead program - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-belhaven-head-coach-blaine-mccorkle-northwestern-state-rebuild)

acbearkat
November 28th, 2023, 11:18 AM
Hue Jackson is out at Grambling after two seasons.

Former NFL head coach to leave college job - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/hue-jackson-to-part-ways-from-grambling)

Libertine
November 28th, 2023, 01:29 PM
According to Football Scoop, Northwestern State is hiring a Division III head coach in Blaine McCorkie. He is currently the head football coach at Bellhaven University in Mississippi.

Sources: Northwestern State to hire D3 head coach to lead program - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-belhaven-head-coach-blaine-mccorkle-northwestern-state-rebuild)

This is an absolute stud hire for the Demons if they pull this off. I had my doubts when he went to Belhaven but doing the job he did there without scholarships is just remarkable. The Southland should be on notice.

acbearkat
November 28th, 2023, 03:49 PM
It looks like Montana State head coach Brent Vigen was a candidate for the San Diego State job, but it looks like the job will be going to former Kent State head coach and former play caller at Colorado, Sean Lewis.

San Diego State search gains focus - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/san-diego-state-search-gains-focus)

ngineer
November 28th, 2023, 03:58 PM
Hue Jackson is out at Grambling after two seasons.

Former NFL head coach to leave college job - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/hue-jackson-to-part-ways-from-grambling)

Doesn't seem like there was a "hue and cry" about this by the fan base....

CA Forever
November 28th, 2023, 05:09 PM
Dan Hawkins is stepping down as HC at UC Davis. Local papers are already reporting that current Cal TE coach and former UCD OC, Tim Plough, is being targeted to take over the program.

B&G
November 28th, 2023, 07:38 PM
Thinking out loud here. Tre Lamb took the ETSU job once G-W was eliminated from the playoffs. What coach or coaches might leave for greener pastures after they get eliminated this week?

Libertine
November 28th, 2023, 08:18 PM
Thinking out loud here. Tre Lamb took the ETSU job once G-W was eliminated from the playoffs. What coach or coaches might leave for greener pastures after they get eliminated this week?

That's a valid thought, especially considering the number of FBS programs who currently have a head coach but, as of this moment, need an offensive or defensive coordinator and who might tap a current FCS head coach to fill those jobs. Would Drew Cronic leave Mercer to call plays for East Carolina? How about Chatty's Rusty Wright to run the defense at Southern Miss?

rtzlunar
November 28th, 2023, 09:09 PM
That's a valid thought, especially considering the number of FBS programs who currently have a head coach but, as of this moment, need an offensive or defensive coordinator and who might tap a current FCS head coach to fill those jobs. Would Drew Cronic leave Mercer to call plays for East Carolina? How about Chatty's Rusty Wright to run the defense at Southern Miss?
Not sure Cronic and Wright would jump at coordinator positions for ****e G5 teams.

B&G
November 28th, 2023, 09:58 PM
Or could a coordinator for one of the eliminated schools grab one of the HC vacancies?

Rumor has it South Carolina St job is being filled by a current D2 coach.

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2023, 09:59 PM
Not sure Cronic and Wright would jump at coordinator positions for ****e G5 teams.
FUBeAR is 99% certain that Coach Cronic is not going to increase the distance from his and his wife's hometown from about 70 miles to about 500 miles. They have family reasons to stay close to home. They are both deeply-rooted in Georgia and Coach Cronic has FULL support of everyone at Mercer, from the President down.

Also, his "Sling T" Offense, while certainly not anything resembling the old-school Triple Option, is not going to be highly attractive to any FBS program that is not a Service Academy. And, that O has met some headwinds this year...and, at times, last year. Coach Cronic has done and is doing a fantastic job as the Head Coach @ Mercer. Mercer's / Coach Cronic's Offense is not quite at that "fantastic" level just yet. FUBeAR would say it's still unproven that it can be consistently successful at the FCS level.

The Mercer Defense, with the exception of the Ole Miss game, has been LIGHTS OUT though - gotta look a little deeper at the Furman, WCU, and Chatt games to see most of those points were as much on Mercer's O and Special Teams as they were on the D....probably moreso. Hanging on to DC, Joel Taylor https://mercerbears.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/joel-taylor/2813, will be the much more likely Coaching retention challenge that Mercer will face this off-season.

For example, his alma mater and former employer, SC State, should have him high on their list of HC candidates. If Gardner-Webb doesn't contact him after his D's have held their usually high-flying O's to an average of ~10 points & ~300 yards the past 2 years, then they aren't paying attention.

B&G
November 28th, 2023, 10:01 PM

I agree that seems unlikely. If Mercer shocked the world and upset SDSU, then I could see Cronic getting a G5 HC job. If Chatty wins this weekend it wouldn’t have the same impact. Coach Wright would likely need a much deeper run for consideration.

Libertine
November 29th, 2023, 07:19 AM

It was more of a plausible hypothetical example as opposed to an assumption.

dbackjon
November 29th, 2023, 07:02 PM
Former EWU and Cal Poly HC Beau Baldwin, who up until today was OC at Arizona State, is rumored to be in discussion with NAU

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2023, 07:26 PM
Jim Parady retires at Marist. Head coach since 1992.

https://goredfoxes.com/news/2023/11/29/football-jim-parady-announces-retirement.aspx

wcugrad95
November 30th, 2023, 01:42 PM
Regarding the SOCON coaches mentioned, as FUBeAR points out, it is probably more realistic that some of the younger coordinators in the league get scooped by some of the G5 programs vs the head coaches getting looks. Wright might be setup for an eventual move, but I'd think it will take a few seasons of playoff football - and even then, it would probably be moving "up" as a coordinator.

I expect Kade Bell to be on some radars for an OC position. I don't know how much coaching with his dad will factor in, but Kade will probably get more attention than Kerwin unless the Cats somehow reel-off several championships in the next 2 or 3 years (Kerwin is 59 - Kade is 30). Let's face it - particularly in the South, many FCS coaching jobs are purely stepping stones. I agree that Mercer's DC should be getting looks, too. Not sure that any of the guys mentioned here (inlcuding Cronic) are going anywhere immediately as head coaches.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2023, 01:45 PM
With Cignetti seemingly headed to Indiana, the Chesney watch has ramped back up....

Wolffan
November 30th, 2023, 03:59 PM
With Cignetti seemingly headed to Indiana, the Chesney watch has ramped back up....

All schools know he's looking given the Syracuse publicity and this would be the time for him to go since next year may not be a good year (and if you are jumping from FBS head coach to FCS head coach you're not going anywhere after a sub par year).

Interestingly (given his coaching background), he can't do the usual move to FCS OC/DC.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2023, 07:09 PM
Regarding the SOCON coaches mentioned, as FUBeAR points out, it is probably more realistic that some of the younger coordinators in the league get scooped by some of the G5 programs vs the head coaches getting looks. Wright might be setup for an eventual move, but I'd think it will take a few seasons of playoff football - and even then, it would probably be moving "up" as a coordinator.

I expect cKade Bell to be on some radars for an OC position. I don't know how much coaching with his dad will factor in, but Kade will probably get more attention than Kerwin unless the Cats somehow reel-off several championships in the next 2 or 3 years (Kerwin is 59 - Kade is 30). Let's face it - particularly in the South, many FCS coaching jobs are purely stepping stones. I agree that Mercer's DC should be getting looks, too. Not sure that any of the guys mentioned here (inlcuding Cronic) are going anywhere immediately as head coaches.

Kade was Papa Bells QB when Jacksonville came into Newark Delaware in 2013 and I think he’s been with Daddy every step of the way starting At Valdosta State, S Florida and now Western Carolina. Kade is a good man.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2023, 07:15 PM
FUBeAR is 99% certain that Coach Cronic is not going to increase the distance from his and his wife's hometown from about 70 miles to about 500 miles. They have family reasons to stay close to home. They are both deeply-rooted in Georgia and Coach Cronic has FULL support of everyone at Mercer, from the President down.

Also, his "Sling T" Offense, while certainly not anything resembling the old-school Triple Option, is not going to be highly attractive to any FBS program that is not a Service Academy. And, that O has met some headwinds this year...and, at times, last year. Coach Cronic has done and is doing a fantastic job as the Head Coach @ Mercer. Mercer's / Coach Cronic's Offense is not quite at that "fantastic" level just yet. FUBeAR would say it's still unproven that it can be consistently successful at the FCS level.

The Mercer Defense, with the exception of the Ole Miss game, has been LIGHTS OUT though - gotta look a little deeper at the Furman, WCU, and Chatt games to see most of those points were as much on Mercer's O and Special Teams as they were on the D....probably moreso. Hanging on to DC, Joel Taylor https://mercerbears.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/joel-taylor/2813, will be the much more likely Coaching retention challenge that Mercer will face this off-season.

For example, his alma mater and former employer, SC State, should have him high on their list of HC candidates. If Gardner-Webb doesn't contact him after his D's have held their usually high-flying O's to an average of ~10 points & ~300 yards the past 2 years, then they aren't paying attention.

Also, his "Sling T" Offense

Hmmmmm sounds familiar

wcugrad95
December 1st, 2023, 08:22 AM
Kade was Papa Bells QB when Jacksonville came into Newark Delaware in 2013 and I think he’s been with Daddy every step of the way starting At Valdosta State, S Florida and now Western Carolina. Kade is a good man.

Kade was the associate head coach/OC at Tusculum when Kerwin got the WCU job. He jumped at the chance to re-join his dad in Cullowhee as the OC. I expect Kerwin will hang around for awhile, and the hope is maybe there is a nice succession plan in place for Kade to take over. But no surprises if a bigger job comes along for Kade to take it.

I have heard rumors he could be up for the ECU OC job, but I can’t find any actual statements or articles even hinting that is happening.

CA Forever
December 1st, 2023, 04:57 PM
Tim Plough has officially been hired as the next HC for UC Davis

https://twitter.com/UCDfootball/status/1730719904209449360

SeattleCat
December 1st, 2023, 04:59 PM
Tim Plough has officially been hired as the next HC for UC Davis

https://twitter.com/UCDfootball/status/1730719904209449360

That was quick. I'm guessing that's been in the works for a little while.

BlueGoldAg
December 1st, 2023, 05:18 PM
That was quick. I'm guessing that's been in the works for a little while.

It was quick but not surprising. Plough is a highly respected former Aggie QB who eventually became the OC for the Aggies before moving on to Boise State and Cal. Davis has a long history of hiring former players like Bob Biggs and Dan Hawkins to be head coaches and many others who were assistants have gone on to be extremely successful coaches such as Chris Peterson was at Boise and Washington among others.

The Aggies wanted to get the head coaching position filled quickly since the early sighing period for recruits is almost here and also because players can declare for the portal beginning on December 4th. The Aggies have already had 3 of their top defensive players announce that they will enter the portal and one, our outstanding LB Teddye Buchanan who will be a 5th year grad student, has already received offers from Cal and Stanford, Washington, Michigan State, Arizona and Oregon State. Hopefully, the announcement of Tim Plough as the new head coach will help prevent many more players from hitting the portal during this time of transition since Plough is so very well known and respected by the Aggies.

acbearkat
December 1st, 2023, 07:01 PM
Columbia has a new head coach.

Source: Fast-rising Division III head coach to take over at Columbia - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-union-college-jon-poppe-columbia-head-coach)

Pards Rule
December 1st, 2023, 07:36 PM
Jon Poppe of D3 Union College named Columbia HC

WWII
December 1st, 2023, 11:51 PM
Just Union, Mt.

Pards Rule
December 2nd, 2023, 07:19 AM
Just Union, Mt.

Thanks - changed it. Isnt that where Bagnoli came from before Penn

WWII
December 2nd, 2023, 08:01 AM
Yes

WestCoastAggie
December 2nd, 2023, 08:16 AM
Or could a coordinator for one of the eliminated schools grab one of the HC vacancies?

Rumor has it South Carolina St job is being filled by a current D2 coach.

So Benedict’s Chennis Berry is going to take that SC State job, huh? Makes sense.

B&G
December 2nd, 2023, 03:30 PM
West Georgia will be announcing their new HC tomorrow.

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2023, 03:52 PM
West Georgia will be announcing their new HC tomorrow.
FUBeAR heard a rumor - initials JT?

B&G
December 2nd, 2023, 06:30 PM
I plead the 5th

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2023, 07:40 PM
I plead the 5th
Football Scoop & FUBeAR knew … https://footballscoop.com/news/west-georgia-finds-new-head-coach

Well-deserved Congrats to Coach!

ejjones
December 3rd, 2023, 03:40 AM
FUBeAR heard a rumor - initials JT?
Great hire… this guy was #1 on a lot of people’s board in Orangeburg.

ElonFirefighter
December 3rd, 2023, 09:42 PM
FUBeAR heard a rumor - initials JT? Started

wapiti
December 3rd, 2023, 09:42 PM
NAU hired Brian Wright from Pitt State

Libertine
December 3rd, 2023, 11:28 PM
Tennessee Tech has hired ODU kickstarter Bobby Wilder as their new head coach.

FUBeAR
December 4th, 2023, 03:41 AM
Started
If so, Coach Taylor owes FUBeAR a fee for his Influence Marketing services.

Pards Rule
December 4th, 2023, 07:10 AM
Tennessee Tech has hired ODU kickstarter Bobby Wilder as their new head coach.

I never ever see anything about TT on here? Are there any TT folks on here?

Libertine
December 4th, 2023, 08:41 AM

Ask and you shall be answered.

Austin Peay's Scotty Walden is leaving to take over UTEP.
https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/12/04/news-utep-expected-to-name-scotty-walden-as-next-head-coach?ref=article_preview_img

(Narrator: "And he was never heard from again.")

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2023, 09:14 AM
Who will Stony Brook hire?

Tough job

TTUEagles
December 4th, 2023, 09:33 AM
I never ever see anything about TT on here? Are there any TT folks on here?

I used to be but, I gave up on TTU football about 4-5 years ago.

dbackjon
December 4th, 2023, 01:25 PM
NAU hired Brian Wright from Pitt State

https://footballscoop.com/news/northern-arizona-hires-pitt-state-head-coach-brian-wright-toledo-florida-atlantic

Catbooster
December 5th, 2023, 01:29 PM
https://footballscoop.com/news/northern-arizona-hires-pitt-state-head-coach-brian-wright-toledo-florida-atlantic
He was an OC at MSU under Ash. So some familiarity with the Big Sky conference.

dbackjon
December 5th, 2023, 03:03 PM
He was an OC at MSU under Ash. So some familiarity with the Big Sky conference.

Yes - and did great rebuilding the Gorillas

Wolffan
December 5th, 2023, 03:30 PM

Tough jobIMHO the school admin dropped the ball by keeping Priore around much too long as he ran the program into the ground...now they are coming off an 0-10 season with a very bare cupboard (roster -wise and assistant coach-wise). Which makes things particularly unattractive in terms of quality coaches trying to move up.

The administration is pleased as punch (and they should be) regarding the academic reputation of the place but has absolutely no interest in building a winning football program. Nor does the student body.

Heavens knows who would even apply. On the bright side, the pay is pretty good and the facilities are not bad.

MR. CHICKEN
December 5th, 2023, 05:27 PM
IMHO the school admin dropped the ball by keeping Priore around much too long as he ran the program into the ground...now they are coming off an 0-10 season with a very bare cupboard (roster -wise and assistant coach-wise). Which makes things particularly unattractive in terms of quality coaches trying to move up.

The administration is pleased as punch (and they should be) regarding the academic reputation of the place but has absolutely no interest in building a winning football program. Nor does the student body.

Heavens knows who would even apply. On the bright side, the pay is pretty good and the facilities are not bad.

JERRY KILL....TOOK ON....NEW MEXICO STATE.......AS BAD UH FBS.....AS EVERAH WAS............DEY'RE'S...ALWAYS SOMEONE WILLIN'.........BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2023, 09:42 AM
IMHO the school admin dropped the ball by keeping Priore around much too long as he ran the program into the ground...now they are coming off an 0-10 season with a very bare cupboard (roster -wise and assistant coach-wise). Which makes things particularly unattractive in terms of quality coaches trying to move up.

The administration is pleased as punch (and they should be) regarding the academic reputation of the place but has absolutely no interest in building a winning football program.

True words

My new son in law attended Stony Brook and had only heard that Stony might have some kind of football team but you couldn’t of paid him to go to a game

KPSUL
December 7th, 2023, 09:53 AM

Stony Brook is only a few seasons past from having a competitive team. There's a lot to sell recruits and transfers at Stony Brook and sometimes a clean slate can be part of the package. A lot of newly hired coaches like to hire a majority of their own new assistants so the quality of the existing staff is not a big factor.

leopardball2010
December 7th, 2023, 10:28 AM

Tough jobBut pays well!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

acbearkat
December 7th, 2023, 11:34 AM
It looks like Cornell has found their next head coach.

Sources: Cornell to hire rival Ivy League coach - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-cornell-to-hire-rival-ivy-league-coach-dan-swanstrom)

acbearkat
December 7th, 2023, 11:35 AM
South Carolina State has hired Chennis Berry as their next head football coach.

South Carolina State set to hire back-to-back conference title-winning Division II head coach - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/benedict-college-head-coach-chennis-berry-south-carolina-state)

Libertine
December 7th, 2023, 11:50 AM

Do you think that SBU facing a significant budget deficit post-COVID had any impact on keeping Priore as long as they did? With all the state and federal funding cuts that the university had to deal with, I could understand not wanting to pay two coaching staffs at the same time.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2023, 12:10 PM
Do you think that SBU facing a significant budget deficit post-COVID had any impact on keeping Priore as long as they did? With all the state and federal funding cuts that the university had to deal with, I could understand not wanting to pay two coaching staffs at the same time.

Seems like declining enrollments and administrators coming to grip with budget reality is circulating on several threads

oceandogs
December 7th, 2023, 01:20 PM

The AD actually extended Priore before the 2022 season. In hindsight, just an insane decision.

Libertine
December 7th, 2023, 02:51 PM
The AD actually extended Priore before the 2022 season. In hindsight, just an insane decision.

Wait, they did what? ...< looks up SB Statesman article about it >... Coming off a 5-6 season? Extended through 2025?? It was signed by all parties without informing the public??? They fired him 14 months later meaning the university that was recently facing a $100 million budget shortfall is now on the hook for half a mil just to Priore for the next three years????

Yeah, that's nuts.

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2023, 03:18 PM
Looks like WIU is getting EIU OC Joe Davis as our new HC (according to reports from twitter and an alert from the ESPN app).
https://eiupanthers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/joe-davis/1342

Last two seasons as OC at EIU. Before that was associate HC/OC at Albany from 2018-21, passing game coordinator/qb coach at Fordham from 2016-17, OC/QB coach at UNI in 2015.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1733952288476045534

wcugrad95
December 10th, 2023, 03:40 PM
Not a head coaching change, but looks like the rumors of Kade Bell being a darkhorse for the OC job at Pitt were real.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2023/12/10/pitt-hires-kade-bell-new-offensive-coordinator/

In a very bad look, WCU's top WR entered the portal last week and already had an offer from Pitt before the hire became official, but that certainly reeks of tampering. It will be interesting to see if that is where Lee ends up, and if any other WCU players (like Dez Reid) head that way. When Kade came to Cullowhee, several of his Tusculum players made their way to Western.

I don't think it changes Western's offense too much, as Kerwin will now just call the plays. We fired our DC and hired the current Tusculum head coach (former UF linebacker who has obvious ties to Bell). Hopefully that move means Kerwin can focus on the offense exclusively (although he always has been more focused on that side).

acbearkat
December 10th, 2023, 04:07 PM
North Dakota State has an opening as Matt Entz will be joining the USC staff as assistant. It will be interesting to see where they go.

Sources: North Dakota State head coach Matt Entz to join Big Ten staff - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-north-dakota-state-head-coach-matt-entz-to-join-big-ten-staff-usc)

acbearkat
December 12th, 2023, 03:04 PM
Gardner-Webb has hired Cris Reisert from Division II Tiffin University as their next head football coach.

Gardner-Webb hiring one of the top Division II coaches - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/gardner-webb-hiring-one-of-the-top-division-ii-coaches)

neverobeyed
December 12th, 2023, 07:34 PM
Looks like WIU is getting EIU OC Joe Davis as our new HC (according to reports from twitter and an alert from the ESPN app).
https://eiupanthers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/joe-davis/1342

Last two seasons as OC at EIU. Before that was associate HC/OC at Albany from 2018-21, passing game coordinator/qb coach at Fordham from 2016-17, OC/QB coach at UNI in 2015.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1733952288476045534

Davis’ fast-tempo offense torched UNI’s defense so bad at a UNI scrimmage that Farley scraped the offense the following Monday. Classic Farley … what could have been.

https://www.panthernation.com/forum/specific-sports-topic-forums/panther-football/713533-brinkman-named-mvfc-defensive-player-of-the-year#post713764

bonarae
December 13th, 2023, 01:38 AM
WMU OC Billy Cosh goes to Long Island.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-western-michigan-oc-billy-cosh-lands-head-job

ST_Lawson
December 13th, 2023, 08:15 AM
Davis’ fast-tempo offense torched UNI’s defense so bad at a UNI scrimmage that Farley scraped the offense the following Monday. Classic Farley … what could have been.

https://www.panthernation.com/forum/specific-sports-topic-forums/panther-football/713533-brinkman-named-mvfc-defensive-player-of-the-year#post713764

Sounds pretty impressive...assuming we can get the players to make it work.

Mike296
December 13th, 2023, 08:52 AM
Ask and you shall be answered.

Austin Peay's Scotty Walden is leaving to take over UTEP.
https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/12/04/news-utep-expected-to-name-scotty-walden-as-next-head-coach?ref=article_preview_img

(Narrator: "And he was never heard from again.")

Posted in another thread about this. I’ll be interested to see if that pans out or not in El Paso. As far as his replacement goes I’m not that thrilled with the hire of Jeff Faris. Great assistant coach don’t get me wrong, but does he have what it takes to step up to a HC job after 12 years as an FBS assistant ? I’m holding my breath right now until I see the end product next season.

Mocs123
December 13th, 2023, 09:08 AM
Posted in another thread about this. I’ll be interested to see if that pans out or not in El Paso. As far as his replacement goes I’m not that thrilled with the hire of Jeff Faris. Great assistant coach don’t get me wrong, but does he have what it takes to step up to a HC job after 12 years as an FBS assistant ? I’m holding my breath right now until I see the end product next season.

UTEP doesn't seem like a very good job. I'm surprised he didn't hold out for a little better job than that. In todays world with the mass exodus that seems to happen with coaching changes (and with the early signing period a few days a way) I expect we'll see more internal hiring for playoff caliber teams when coaches leave in an effort to try and keep the current talent on the roster. It will be interesting to see how that works out for teams as I think in many cases they could get a better coach going external to the program - it really is a double edged sword and I'm not sure which approach will work best.

Libertine
December 13th, 2023, 09:31 AM
Posted in another thread about this. I’ll be interested to see if that pans out or not in El Paso.

UTEP football has posted a winning record just four times in the last 35 years. If Walden can do anything there, it'll be a "miner" miracle.

As far as his replacement goes I’m not that thrilled with the hire of Jeff Faris. Great assistant coach don’t get me wrong, but does he have what it takes to step up to a HC job after 12 years as an FBS assistant ? I’m holding my breath right now until I see the end product next season.

I think the Faris hire is a curious one as well. I get that he's young, presumably intelligent and a Tennessee native but I don't see anything notable on his resume as an assistant; his only experience as a coordinator is one year as the playcaller for Cutcliffe's last Duke team that didn't score a lot of points. Of course, you don't necessarily need to have been a coordinator to be a good head coach but it's generally considered a resume-building step that a lot of AD's look at and will use to sell the hire to their fanbase. I'm just really curious as to how that interview with ASPU's AD went down.

acbearkat
December 13th, 2023, 09:44 AM
UTEP doesn't seem like a very good job. I'm surprised he didn't hold out for a little better job than that. In todays world with the mass exodus that seems to happen with coaching changes (and with the early signing period a few days a way) I expect we'll see more internal hiring for playoff caliber teams when coaches leave in an effort to try and keep the current talent on the roster. It will be interesting to see how that works out for teams as I think in many cases they could get a better coach going external to the program - it really is a double edged sword and I'm not sure which approach will work best.

UTEP is one of the worst jobs in the FBS. It's located in an area where there is not much access to talent, as there is not much talent out there in West Texas. El Paso is a long drive away (or short flight) from either Houston or DFW. UTRGV is starting up football this year, and if they can have winning seasons out in Edinburg, that will be incredible as UTRGV is like UTEP in that there's not much talent nearby (the last big-time recruit to come out of the Valley was Bradley Stephens out of McAllen High School in 2007; Stephens ended up playing at Texas A&M). However, one of the Brownsville schools advanced to the state semifinals this year. Most Valley schools don't get past the second round of the playoffs because they are outclassed in talent.

UTRGV will be participating in the FCS next year as a member of the UAC.

DFW HOYA
December 13th, 2023, 10:32 AM
UTEP is one of the worst jobs in the FBS. It's located in an area where there is not much access to talent, as there is not much talent out there in West Texas. El Paso is a long drive away (or short flight) from either Houston or DFW.

El Paso is halfway between Dallas and Los Angeles.

Libertine
December 13th, 2023, 10:45 AM
HBCU Sports is reporting that Ed Reed wants the Grambling job.

https://hbcusports.com/2023/12/04/source-ed-reed-expresses-interest-in-grambling-state-job/

Y'all may remember Ed Reed as HOF safety for the Ravens and Miami Hurricanes. However, more recently, he was briefly employed -- or officially not, depending on who you ask -- as the HC at Bethune-Cookman last winter. Reed's "30-day Fiance" engagement with the Wildcats ended -- as most TV "reality" romances do -- with some veiled threats, some less-veiled threats, a lot of screaming into the camera and, eventually, lawyers.

I know it may not be the smartest move for Grambling to make but, please, Tigers...for the sake of my personal entertainment, hire Ed Reed.

iBOsbu
December 13th, 2023, 12:34 PM
WMU OC Billy Cosh goes to Long Island.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-western-michigan-oc-billy-cosh-lands-head-job

Barf

Libertine
December 13th, 2023, 01:54 PM
Barf

Why the reaction? Seems like a decent hire from this angle. Dude is young and reasonably successful to this point as a coordinator at the FCS level. I would presume that SBU got him relatively cheaply and on the upswing of his career.

I don't know him or care one way or the other but I'm curious why your distaste.

Wolffan
December 13th, 2023, 02:30 PM
Barf Given the trainwreck that is the Stony Brook University football program - and that is separate and apart from this season's 0-10 record - did you expect an experienced fellow with a track record of great success to actually apply? The only thing more apathetic than the SBU student body when it comes to supporting the football program is the school administration. Too risky for that sort of appicant.

Billy Cosh is 31, understands a good bit about running an FCS offense, and probably has as much chance of succeeding as any other applicant.

If all else fails he can at least play QB - I guarantee he is better than the guys they have had at that position the last two years.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 13th, 2023, 07:31 PM

Faris went and hired Furman Georgie as his TE coach. The same Furman Georgie who was on the business end of a 63-3 burnination by Austin Peay.

My condolences.

Mike296
December 13th, 2023, 11:57 PM
Faris went and hired Furman Georgie as his TE coach. The same Furman Georgie who was on the business end of a 63-3 burnination by Austin Peay.

My condolences.

I’m expecting a dumpster fire of the highest order at this rate in theory. But I can’t really say anything until the new staff gets a chance to play actual games so I’m biting my tongue for the moment.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 14th, 2023, 11:41 PM
I’m expecting a dumpster fire of the highest order at this rate in theory. But I can’t really say anything until the new staff gets a chance to play actual games so I’m biting my tongue for the moment.

Don't say we didn't warn you. Something tells me you could very well be right. I have a feeling a bunch of Furman fans pity the fool who hired him.

wcugrad95
December 15th, 2023, 07:19 AM
Quarles has head coach and OC experience along with deep ties to TN high school football. I agree things sucked at ETSU, but the program had a mass exodus of players when Sanders abruptly retired and suffered through a crazy amount of injuries this year.

Not defending him as he was not a good head coach or OC, but I would think he is the most highly qualified TE coach in all of FCS.

Wolffan
December 15th, 2023, 10:55 AM
Merrimack’s Head Coach, Dan Curran, just hired by Holy Cross. Huge coaching shoes to fill - and tons of graduating talent to replace - but this seems like a smart hire from a nearby Catholic college.

KPSUL
December 15th, 2023, 12:59 PM
Curran is a great choice for Holy Cross. You can't go wrong hiring a UNH football alumnus who played for Sean McDonnell!

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2023, 01:06 PM
Merrimack’s Head Coach, Dan Curran, just hired by Holy Cross. Huge coaching shoes to fill - and tons of graduating talent to replace - but this seems like a smart hire from a nearby Catholic college.

PL schools don't really look very far for coaches:

Bucknell: Dave Cecchini (Former Lehigh OC)
Colgate: Stan Dakosty (Colgate player and assistant since 2001)
Fordham: Joe Conlin (Yale OC)
Georgetown: Rob Sgarlata (Georgetown player and assistant since 1990)
Lafayette: John Troxell (Frankin & Marshall HC)
Lehigh: Kevin Cahill (Yale OC)

Sader87
December 15th, 2023, 02:25 PM
I think this is a very good hire....Curran elevated Merrimack very quickly to an FCS level program from D2.

Ticks off a lot of Chesney-esque boxes coming to HC.

We shall see but I'm excited for this hire.

gravalico
December 15th, 2023, 03:07 PM
I think this is a very good hire....Curran elevated Merrimack very quickly to an FCS level program from D2.

Ticks off a lot of Chesney-esque boxes coming to HC.

We shall see but I'm excited for this hire.Curran's record seems a little sus (as the kids say) but moving the program up had to be a heavy lift.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

acbearkat
December 17th, 2023, 04:58 PM
North Dakota State does not make an internal hire, but hires Tim Polasek as their next head coach.

Sources: North Dakota State taps former assistant as head coach - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-north-dakota-state-to-hire-former-assistant-as-head-coach-tim-polasek)

acbearkat
December 17th, 2023, 05:35 PM
It appears that Grambling will be hiring Mickey Joseph, who is a Louisiana native as its next head coach. His cousin, Terry, is the cornerbacks coach at the University of Texas.

Sources: Grambling working to hire Mickey Joseph - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-grambling-working-to-hire-mickey-joseph)

FUBeAR
December 18th, 2023, 10:32 AM
https://twitter.com/gocamelsfb/status/1736781775513546846

Libertine
December 18th, 2023, 03:47 PM
https://twitter.com/gocamelsfb/status/1736781775513546846

Interesting. Former Husker Mickey Joseph just got the Grambling job and former Husker Mike Minter resigns from his job the next day? Hmmm.

UNHWildcat18
December 18th, 2023, 07:28 PM
https://twitter.com/Merrimack_FB/status/1736889947250938044

Merrimack promotes DC Gennetti to Head Coach. Bigger question is where are they and sacred heart playing next year…

WestCoastAggie
December 19th, 2023, 12:24 PM
https://twitter.com/HBCUSports/status/1737141884244406470?s

FUBeAR
December 19th, 2023, 12:27 PM
https://twitter.com/HBCUSports/status/1737141884244406470?s

https://twitter.com/hbcusports/status/1737141884244406470

SFA 93
December 19th, 2023, 06:29 PM
SFA OC - Matt Storm is out

acbearkat
December 20th, 2023, 11:13 AM
Morehead State has found its next head coach.

Sources: Morehead State hiring new coach - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-morehead-state-hiring-new-coach)

aceinthehole
December 20th, 2023, 11:27 AM
Merrimack promotes DC Gennetti to Head Coach. Bigger question is where are they and sacred heart playing next year…

My guess is they will both be independent with a lot of NEC teams staying on their schedule.

Or they will join the Big South/OVC as an associate.

Libertine
December 29th, 2023, 02:34 PM
https://twitter.com/hbcusports/status/1737141884244406470

According to FootballScoop, this situation has "gone off the rails". Apparently, the board at Texas Southern couldn't come to a consensus on McNair despite multiple meetings and the Tigers are now in the process of investigating other candidates. It seems there is a faction of the TSU board that wants former Houston Texan Andre Johnson to be the new head Tiger, despite the fact that Johnson has never been a coach on any level. Incidentally, this job has now been open since November 20th.

Meanwhile, McNair is out of a job as Alcorn has already named the Braves' current defensive coordinator, Cedric Thomas, as his replacement.

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-texas-southern-head-coaching-search-has-gone-completely-off-the-rails

Libertine
December 29th, 2023, 02:36 PM
FAMU might be open any day now. Willie Simmons has been offered the running backs job at Duke with Mike Elko.

https://hbcugameday.com/2023/12/29/famu-head-coach-willie-simmons-mulling-offer/

UPDATE: He gone.

Libertine
January 1st, 2024, 04:28 PM
Murray State is open. Dean Hood has retired.

https://goracers.com/news/2024/1/1/football-coach-dean-hood-announces-retirement

EDIT: He has taken an off-the-field role at Kentucky.

Libertine
January 4th, 2024, 01:23 PM
Campbell hires HC Braxton Harris from Houston Christian.

Houston Christian has subsequently promoted OC Jason Bachtel to the head chair.

B&G
January 9th, 2024, 06:43 PM
Mercer needs a new Head Coach.

FUBeAR
January 9th, 2024, 06:45 PM
Mercer needs a new Head Coach.
https://mercerbears.com/news/2024/1/9/cronic-resigns-as-mercer-football-head-coach.aspx

Cronic Resigns As Mercer Football Head Coach

MACON – Athletics department officials at Mercer University announced Tuesday evening that Drew Cronic (https://mercerbears.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/drew-cronic/2810) has resigned his position as football head coach to assume the offensive coordinator role with the Navy Midshipmen. A national search will begin immediately to identify Cronic's successor at MU.

Libertine
January 10th, 2024, 10:53 AM
Murray State is set to hire Jody Wright as the Racers' next head coach. Wright is currently the TE's coach at South Carolina but has spent the last 15 years bouncing around the SEC and NFL. Not a flashy name or a splash hire but the guy has definitely built a resume.

https://gamecocksonline.com/sports/football/roster/coach/jody-wright/

Libertine
January 11th, 2024, 10:56 AM
According to HBCU Sports and Dave Campbell's Texas Football, the search for a new head coach at Texas Southern continues unabated. The latest rumor floating around the Tigers is that they are now targeting a former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver and Dancing With The Stars champion, Hines Ward. No word on whether Ward is actually interested.

CockyGeek
January 11th, 2024, 04:56 PM
Jody Wright was a popular name for the JSU job when we thought we were broke and going with a guy with JSU ties.

acbearkat
January 12th, 2024, 12:39 PM
What's going on in Houston? Who is calling the shots? Texas Southern has completely botched their head coaching search. Whoever the athletic director is there should be fired for botching the search.

acbearkat
January 12th, 2024, 02:19 PM
Texas Southern finally has its head coach about a month and a half after announcing they were making a head coaching change. Chris Dishman will be the next head coach of Michael Strahan's alma mater.

Texas Southern finally has a head coach - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-southern-finally-has-a-head-coach-chris-dishman)

Milktruck74
January 12th, 2024, 03:26 PM
I'll bet we see a bunch of FCS HCs take off for FBS position coaching jobs. As the money starts to flow in those "pay for play" leagues, the funds for thhe lessers...FCS and G5/6/7(wherever that one actually lands)...will dry up and these guys know, in order to actually make a decent living, they have to get those teams. What would have been a head scratcher in the past will now become normal. You will see very successful FCS guys move on to position coaching spots at the Big boys. Shoot, it won't be long until the non-field positions (like DFO) at a B1G or SEC school will pay more than a SoCon/CAA/Valley HC gig! It has been impacting FCS coaches for years...but it is about to get much worse!!!!

Gone are the days of a good FCS coach staying at a school for 10+ years...no more Jerry Moores or Mike Ayers out there....the entire purpose of taking a coaching position is to build a step to the next/bigger/better coaching position....Loyalty is a one way street!

putter
January 12th, 2024, 03:46 PM
While not a head coaching change .. Montana’s Bobby Hauck did not sign a new contract at the beginning of the year. His contract is up January 31st. Stay tuned….

Libertine
January 12th, 2024, 10:13 PM
Texas Southern finally has its head coach about a month and a half after announcing they were making a head coaching change. Chris Dishman will be the next head coach of Michael Strahan's alma mater.

Texas Southern finally has a head coach - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-southern-finally-has-a-head-coach-chris-dishman)

Jeez, finally.

What's going on in Houston? Who is calling the shots? Texas Southern has completely botched their head coaching search. Whoever the athletic director is there should be fired for botching the search.

It's college football in Texas. Every board member thinks they're the ones calling the shots and the AD is just there to figure out prices at the concession stands.

PaladinNation
January 13th, 2024, 06:25 AM
I'll bet we see a bunch of FCS HCs take off for FBS position coaching jobs. As the money starts to flow in those "pay for play" leagues, the funds for thhe lessers...FCS and G5/6/7(wherever that one actually lands)...will dry up and these guys know, in order to actually make a decent living, they have to get those teams. What would have been a head scratcher in the past will now become normal. You will see very successful FCS guys move on to position coaching spots at the Big boys. Shoot, it won't be long until the non-field positions (like DFO) at a B1G or SEC school will pay more than a SoCon/CAA/Valley HC gig! It has been impacting FCS coaches for years...but it is about to get much worse!!!!

Gone are the days of a good FCS coach staying at a school for 10+ years...no more Jerry Moores or Mike Ayers out there....the entire purpose of taking a coaching position is to build a step to the next/bigger/better coaching position....Loyalty is a one way street!

No doubt Drew Chronic stepping into the OC role at Navy fits your point. When replacing Bruce Fowler it came down to Des Kitchens (current OC for UVA) and Clay Hendrix. Kitchens actually agreed to be Furman's new head coach, but when he got back to Raleigh, NCST offered him a raise and I don't think his wife wanted to come back to Gville (weird IMO a much better town than Raleigh). Anyways the right move was Clay Hendrix, Clay cares about the program, plus he's a stable veteran coach - I think Clay is at Furman till he decides to retire. My point is Furman IMO almost made a big mistake—Kitchens went from NCST to South Carolina to Virginia. I didn't see Des as a long term head coach in Purple.

I'm not sure what other FCS teams have the same infrastructure Furman has. Three separate one-million-dollar buckets that were donated by donors. One is a bucket for the head coach, another is a bucket for the OC, and the last one I believe supplements the operating budget. FCS teams have to find ways to pay more—heck in the south there are many HS/AD coaches that make way in excess of 100K. I'm pretty sure Quarles was making a very good salary at Maryville.

My last thought on this, is a school's coaching tree. FuBear can go into way more details than I can. The Art Baker coaching tree that he started at Furman is darn impressive, and keeps going and going.

Furman has ex-players, and coaches at every level of football; high-school, college and pro. I don't want Clay to retire anytime soon but when it does happen I think we could see some interesting names interested (such as Brian Bratton-Indy Colts). I think an FCS program can still build loyalty today, but it doesn't happen automatically.

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2024, 12:47 PM

+ 1

Pards Rule
January 14th, 2024, 02:18 PM
Damn is McNair out of a job?

AshevilleApp2
January 15th, 2024, 07:59 AM

Good points, and I think mostly true. But in Jerry Moore's case he was 50ish and I think looking for a place to settle down. He had been a HC at Texas Tech previously. So perception wise, App was a step down. Although I'll take Boone over Texas any time.

OSRacer
January 15th, 2024, 10:59 AM
Murray State hires new coach Jody Wright from SEC....no experience as a head coach but he's been in some good programs. He has a good reputation as a recruiter and we'll need it to compete in the MVFC.

Jody Wright Introduced – Becomes 20th Head Coach in MSU Football History - Murray State University Athletics (goracers.com) (https://goracers.com/news/2024/1/13/jody-wright-introduced-becomes-20th-head-coach-in-msu-football-history)

Sir William
January 15th, 2024, 12:04 PM
Good points, and I think mostly true. But in Jerry Moore's case he was 50ish and I think looking for a place to settle down. He had been a HC at Texas Tech previously. So perception wise, App was a step down. Although I'll take Boone over Texas any time.

I believe it was Baylor. But point taken.

acbearkat
January 15th, 2024, 12:06 PM
I believe it was Baylor. But point taken.

It was Tech.

caribbeanhen
January 15th, 2024, 12:19 PM
It was Tech.

was in Texas

He’s being Technical

Libertine
January 15th, 2024, 03:20 PM
Damn is McNair out of a job?

Yes.

Sir William
January 15th, 2024, 05:53 PM
It was Tech.

You are right. I stand corrected. Moore played for Baylor.

caribbeanhen
January 16th, 2024, 08:32 PM

and just like that, South Alabama and Buffalo head coaches depart for Alabama position coach positions

Not really FCS news but Milktruck is on to something

Milktruck74
January 17th, 2024, 05:59 AM
and just like that, South Alabama and Buffalo head coaches depart for Alabama position coach positions

I may have played those last few years without a helmet, and I throw a bunch of crap against the wall...but every now and again some of it sticks and I appear to be a brilliant prognosticator. This may well be one of those times.

WestCoastAggie
January 17th, 2024, 08:43 AM
Yes.

I bet that coaching firm FAMU will hire will name him as the top candidate for their job. LOL.

ST_Lawson
January 17th, 2024, 08:47 AM

Yup...position coaches at many schools at the P5 level now pay 2-3 times what a HC position at a FCS or low G5 team pays. Already hit us...I guess we'd have been "mid-level FCS" at that point...in 2017 when we lost our HC (Charlie Fisher) to a WR coach position at Arizona State, which tripled his salary.

acbearkat
January 17th, 2024, 09:35 AM
The Harvard job is now open.

Sources: Harvard head coach Tim Murphy to retire - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-harvard-head-coach-tim-murphy-to-retire)

FUBeAR
January 18th, 2024, 07:40 AM
Mercer goes back to the same ‘well’…hiring Lenoir-Rhyne’s Head Coach for the 2nd time in a row.
No Furman ties this time though.

Looks like an outstanding hire!

https://mercerbears.com/news/2024/1/18/mercer-announces-mike-jacobs-as-football-head-coach

Mercer Announces Mike Jacobs As Football Head Coach

MACON – Athletics department officials at Mercer University announced Thursday morning that 21-year collegiate coaching veteran Mike Jacobs has been named as the football program's 21st head coach.

Jacobs, who has compiled a 74-17 (.813) record across head coaching stops at both Notre Dame (Ohio) and Lenoir-Rhyne, boasts the nation's sixth-best winning percentage among active coaches at the NCAA Divisions I and II levels. He is fresh off of a 2023 campaign that saw him lead Lenoir-Rhyne to a 13-2 clip that was accentuated with an appearance in the semifinal round of the NCAA Division II Playoffs.

Libertine
January 21st, 2024, 12:14 PM
FCS-adjacent:

Former Lehigh and Elon HC Pete Lembo is expected to be announced as the new head coach at U of Buffalo.

Libertine
January 25th, 2024, 07:14 AM
Not a head coach change but interesting:

NDSU OC Tyler Roehl has left the Bison for the same position at... Tennessee State?

Granted, Roehl's days were probably numbered in Fargo after he didn't get the Head Coach's chair at NDSU but this is surprising nonetheless.

putter
January 25th, 2024, 03:44 PM
Hauck signs new 3 year deal to stay at Montana

Catbooster
January 27th, 2024, 04:09 PM
Not a head coaching change, but interesting.

https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1751065883412185224

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 30th, 2024, 10:28 PM
I used to be but, I gave up on TTU football about 4-5 years ago.

You got yourselves a hella good coach. Wilder built the ODU program from scratch and had them competing in the upper echelons of the CAA. I was so impressed with Wilder at one point that I sent a note to Tony Basilio nominating him to be Tennessee's next head coach when Derek Dummy got shown the door. I will not be surprised if Wilder has them competing in the OVC-Big South in short order.

Tribe4SF
January 31st, 2024, 06:21 AM
You got yourselves a hella good coach. Wilder built the ODU program from scratch and had them competing in the upper echelons of the CAA. I was so impressed with Wilder at one point that I sent a note to Tony Basilio nominating him to be Tennessee's next head coach when Derek Dummy got shown the door. I will not be surprised if Wilder has them competing in the OVC-Big South in short order.

He rode the wave of Taylor Heinicke while fielding consistently awful defenses. Once Heinicke was gone things got tougher with the 1-11 record in 2019 spelling the end. His early ODU teams were marked by a lack of discipline and a lot of dirty play. The Tribe's first trip there in 2010 was the worst I've ever seen. Jimmye Laycock actually called him out on it in the post-game press conference.

caribbeanhen
January 31st, 2024, 07:04 AM
He rode the wave of Taylor Heinicke while fielding consistently awful defenses. Once Heinicke was gone things got tougher with the 1-11 record in 2019 spelling the end. His early ODU teams were marked by a lack of discipline and a lot of dirty play. The Tribe's first trip there in 2010 was the worst I've ever seen. Jimmye Laycock actually called him out on it in the post-game press conference.

I’m always amazed at how much intelligence these coaches lose when their best players move on

bonarae
February 8th, 2024, 06:27 PM
Until Harvard makes the hire official and Haley reports it, I won’t announce it on this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
February 15th, 2024, 06:26 PM

Kinda reminds me of Butch Jones' time in Knoxville. He rode the wave of Josh Dobbs (eventually) while fielding bad defenses (especially the last two seasons). When Dobbs left, the bottom fell out and Jones got axed the question with two games left. The team quit vs LSU and Vandyland. Tennessee at times had a severe lack of discipline (I don't know about dirty play) and I'm not sure any rival coach called him out in their postgame pressers.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
February 15th, 2024, 06:31 PM
I’m always amazed at how much intelligence these coaches lose when their best players move on

Say what you want to say but Wilder was done in by not getting with the times in CUSA. He did score a share of CUSA east division title in 2016 and a Bahamas Bowl win. He was nearly named the head coach at Florida Atlantic until FAU leadership got a deal done with Lane Kiffin.

caribbeanhen
February 16th, 2024, 06:12 AM
Say what you want to say but Wilder was done in by not getting with the times in CUSA. He did score a share of CUSA east division title in 2016 and a Bahamas Bowl win. He was nearly named the head coach at Florida Atlantic until FAU leadership got a deal done with Lane Kiffin.

Say Say Say what you want….. SPM

It’s just a common observation of mine that talent wins more games than coaches

POD Knows
February 26th, 2024, 09:21 AM
Not a head coach change but interesting:

NDSU OC Tyler Roehl has left the Bison for the same position at... Tennessee State?

Granted, Roehl's days were probably numbered in Fargo after he didn't get the Head Coach's chair at NDSU but this is surprising nonetheless.
He left Tennessee State already. Going to Iowa State as an assistant coach and something offensive coach related. This is a big step up from TSU