PDA

View Full Version : ETSU fires HC George Quarles

Libertine
November 19th, 2023, 01:24 PM
George Quarles is out at ETSU after just two seaasons. The number of coaches that ETSU has fired in all sports the last few years is extraordinary.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38936006/east-tennessee-state-fires-football-coach-george-quarles

Milktruck74
November 19th, 2023, 02:12 PM
They should look at Billy Taylor, HE would be a good one...but he is probably tainted by his time with GQ.

rtzlunar
November 19th, 2023, 02:26 PM
Maybe they can talk Phat Phil Foolmer out of retirement.

Mocs123
November 19th, 2023, 03:08 PM
They should look at Billy Taylor, HE would be a good one...but he is probably tainted by his time with GQ. Billy's a good one for sure. I hate everything ETSU related, but Billy's a quality person and coordinator - no matter what happens I hope he lands a good job somewhere.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 19th, 2023, 03:13 PM
Maybe they can talk Phat Phil Foolmer out of retirement.

maybe to help with the coaching search

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 19th, 2023, 03:23 PM
They should look at Billy Taylor, HE would be a good one...but he is probably tainted by his time with GQ.

Methinks Taylor would want to flush out that Furman Georgie bulljunk out of his system. IJS!

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 19th, 2023, 03:35 PM
Footballscoop had this to say about the matter, Furman Georgie wasn't the only one that was a bust.

https://footballscoop.com/news/etsu-making-a-change-at-head-coach

I would look at Billy Taylor first. The profile I would be looking for in a head coach is documented success at the FCS level.

Two names that fit this description:

- Tyler Roehl - NDSU OC/TE - was a finalist last time it came up
- Bobby Wilder - ODU (2009-2019) - his CUSA editions may not have been anything to write home about but his teams when they were in the CAA were FIRE

Libertine
November 27th, 2023, 09:35 AM
Footballscoop says G-W's Tre Lamb will be the new head Buc.

Mocs123
November 27th, 2023, 09:44 AM
Tre would be a nice hire. Personally, I like ETSU in the dirt so I hope that's not the case.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2023, 09:51 AM
FUBeAR had the opportunity to speak to Coach Lamb before the G-W @ Mercer game on Saturday. Obviously, we didn't discuss pending job changes. In a press conference before the Mercer game, he was asked about having to travel (again) for a 1st round game and he did not seem too happy about it, but more-or-less declined to respond to the question.

One callout - the reason FUBeAR saw Coach Lamb is that he took a few minutes before the game to drop into the Mercer Football Alumni Tailgate Tent and greet/speak to many of his former Players. They REALLY appreciated him doing that. It's a 1st class move. Not many Coaches would take the time to do it, but he cared enough to do so.

Color FUBeAR IMPRESSED!

B&G
November 27th, 2023, 10:47 AM
Coach Lamb was runner up for another job. When he learned he didn’t get it, then he quickly accepted the ETSU job.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 28th, 2023, 11:14 AM
Footballscoop had this to say about the matter, Furman Georgie wasn't the only one that was a bust.

https://footballscoop.com/news/etsu-making-a-change-at-head-coach

I would look at Billy Taylor first. The profile I would be looking for in a head coach is documented success at the FCS level.

Tre Lamb was hired at ETSU yesterday, won a pair of conference titles at Gardner-Webb and got them to the playoffs. Looks like documented success at the FCS level to me.

rtzlunar
November 28th, 2023, 11:21 AM
Quarles seemed to inherit a lot of talent when he took the job. With Quarles’ dismal W-L record, Lamb has a low bar to reach. Seems like a solid hire.

Mocs123
November 28th, 2023, 11:21 AM
Yep, good hire for the Bucs. Honestly if I was in ETSU's shoes (or if the Mocs were hiring a coach) I can't think of a better hire.