PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Preview Week 3

catbob
September 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Big Sky Preview: (bold team = Big Sky team)

Western Oregeon @ #4 Eastern Washington
- Yea, this one is a no brainer. DII vs Meyer, Kimble and Cole. Eagles roll and get some time for their second and third stringers.
- 6-42

Montana Western @ Idaho State
- Again, this is a no brainer, Western isn't even a good Frontier Conference team.
- 10-48

South Dakota State @ #6 Montana
- Finally, something to predict! SDSU has a great running attack with Watson in the backfield, but the Grizzly defense is too good this year, 17th to be precise (rushing). I think the Jacks can hang close, but they will need their fair share of breaks to win this one, and I don't see it happening. Look for something to happen with the Griz QB, whether it be Washingtons coming out, or Berquist getting some time. Oh and did I mention this is at WA-Griz?
What to watch - Grizzlies have 12 injuries to players who see significant time, and it sounds like several of them if not all will not play.
- 13-24

#13 Montana State @ #19 Cal Poly
- This is the best matchup of the week. Cal Poly, who returns a lot of key players from an outstanding defense last year (except Jordan Beck) look to shut down the Bobcat offense often and early. Likewise, the Bobcat defense is vastly improved from a dismal three game slide last year, and have shut down opponents and only allowed 2 touchdowns so far, both to OSU. Poly has an outstanding rush defense while the Cats have an outstanding pass defense. Games are not played on paper, which is why I have to give the nod to the Cats, mainly because I think the defense will shut down the Poly offense, and no one can completely shut down Travis Lulay. If Poly can win the game, it will be on the ground.
What to watch - Poly is 44th in Pass Efficiency Defense, and 16th vs the run. The Cats are 3rd and 74th, respectively. Poly has beaten the Cats 6 times in a row.
- 21-17

Southern Utah @ Northern Arizona
- Southern Utah has looked terrible in their two IAA games, losing badly to Idaho State and Texas State, and managing only 13 points in those two contests, and gave up 72. NAU beat up on DII Adams State and played respectable vs Arizona. Murietta seems to be back on track, but hasn't played an equal opponent in terms of skill, and I don't see this game being much more of a test for him.
What to watch Both quarterbacks hover right around the 50% completion mark, and if either one steps it up a notch, it could mean a W.
- 14-35

Sacramento State @ Portland State
- As the only conference matchup of the week, the only thing Sac has going for them is Ryan Mole. He could end up leading the BSC in yards when all is said and done. But it won't be enough to top a tough PSU team that is hoping to find a ryhthm offensively and defensively this week after a tough road win at UC-Davis.
What to watch Ryan Mole was newcomer of the year last year, rushing for 858 yards on just 146 carries, and was highly recruited RB out of high school.
- 10-27

Weber State @ #10 North Dakota State
- Nobody won more impressively last week than NDSU @ NW St. 35-7 was the final after all was said and done, and NDSU dominated on both sides of the ball, especially defense. Weber is coming off domination by Fresno State, but in which the total yards were basically even (mid300s). I think Weber is a good team this year, possibly 4th or 5th best in the BSC, but NDSU is going to be too much, especially in the Fargo Dome.
What to watch NDSU has two running backs over 100 yards, a QB (Walker) that has thrown just one INT in 94 attempts, and have outscored their opponents 94-14.
- 17-34

Possible upset of the week: Sac over PSU.
Best matchup: MSU vs Poly
Worst matchup: Western vs ISU

Tod
September 14th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Well done, Bob. :)

Lumberjacks76
September 14th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I like the prediction for NAU. I think Jason really gets on track in this one and NAU rolls.

My prediction is: NAU 42, Southern Utah 14

Paul

kmax
September 14th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Nicely done CatBob, thanks. You should put that up on the Nation as well.

JALMOND
September 15th, 2005, 12:19 PM
My predictions this week in the BSC...

W Oregon/EWU---(yawn) EWU 45, W Oregon 7
MT-Western/ISU---(snore) ISU 55, MT-West 7
SDSU/Montana---Griz solve their QB problems and the D is too tough for the Rabbits Griz 48, SDSU 10
Cal Poly/MSU---The big game this week in the Big Sky. Bobcats off to a great start and Cal Poly has been playing well. The game is at SLO and Poly has beaten the Cats 6(?) times in a row. Still, I like the Cats in this one. MSU 30, Cal Poly 28
S Utah/NAU---NAU builds on their excellent showing in Tucson last week. Jacks will show quickly that S Utah is not Arizona. NAU 42, S Utah 7
Sac St/PSU---First Big Sky conference game of the season. PSU has shown some good moments against Oregon State and Davis. Sac St still waiting for those moments. PSU 35, Sac St 10
NDSU/Weber---Weber looked fine against Fresno and awesome against DII. NDSU looks very strong and this game is in Fargo. NDSU personal vendetta against any Big Sky team may result in overconfidence. I say upset in the making. Weber 28, NDSU 26

After last week, all Big Sky teams win this week.