PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 11-18

JALMOND
November 15th, 2023, 08:08 PM
We have now reached the last games of the season in the conference and I have given myself a chance to avoid 20 misses in a season. I am currently at 62-17 and in all the years of predicting the games in the conference, the most wrong guesses I've had was 19 misses. I need to go at least 4-2 this weekend. That said here are my picks for this weekend's Big Sky games. I've listed the games in order of what I think are important, from the least important to the most important. Good luck to everyone this week.

WSU at CP---The Wildcats are trying to build on their winning streak since resuming play after their bye week and they head on the road to face the Mustangs, who played one of the heavies pretty tough last weekend but still seem to be struggling down the stretch. The Wildcats should end the season with a win to build on...WSU 38, CP 17.

PSU at UNC---It is mildly interesting to get to the last game of the season and have a team like the Bears that hasn't won a game yet. Playing at home this weekend against the Vikings, who looked like they already have checked out for the season. The Bears have looked tough, so the Vikings better come to play...PSU 24, UNC 20.

NAU at EWU---The Lumberjacks got a fairly unimpressive win last week over the winless basement dwellers, but a win is a win. They have momentum heading out on the road to face the Eagles, who got thumped by one of the better teams in the conference. Like last week, a dome team playing outdoors in November...EWU 48, NAU 28.

Now to games that count---

ISU at UI---After last week's perplexing loss on the road, the Vandals may have cost them a seed. They will need an impressive win at home over their rivals to look good. The Bengals have had a good season and, while no playoffs are on the horizon, they can derail the hopes of their rival. Still, Vandals take care of business...UI 51, ISU 28.

SAC at UCD---The Hornets picked a bad time for an uninspired home win last week against one of the basement teams. Now they head out to face the Aggies, who have been on a roll that they hope will lead them to a playoff berth. The Hornets could use a win to look good for the committee. The Aggies need one for a chance...UCD 38, SAC 35.

MSU at UM---For the conference title. Two fairly even teams. The Bobcats offense has been dynamic and their defense has been solid. The Grizzlies have been improving every week on both sides as well and now are playing their best football so far. Both teams are strong. Great offenses usually mean the defenses will shine...UM 17, MSU 15.

bonarae
November 15th, 2023, 08:30 PM
Weber
Viks
EWU
Vandals
Sac
Griz

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2023, 09:02 PM
Aww jeeze, Jalmond picked us, now we're screwed.

mvemjsunpx
November 16th, 2023, 02:45 AM
NAU 24-38 EWU — Final game for both coaches?

Weber 34-17 Cal Poly — They got their offense going too late to contend, but the Wildcats can still clinch a winning season

Sac State 24-27 Davis — The Hornets have been pretty middling in conference play, to be honest

Idaho St. 13-38 Idaho — The not-so-biggest rivalry in the state of Idaho…

Montana St. 31-24 Montana — The Griz can't possibly get outcoached as badly as they did last year… right? xnutsx

Portland St. 23-17 NololColol — The Bears have played solid defense at home, but they haven't shown any offense anywhere

wapiti
November 16th, 2023, 09:47 AM
MSU 35 @ 32 UM -- FCS game of the week. 2 top 5 teams going at it. Winner will get the 2 seed. Loser should still have a seed.
The team with the fewest mistakes will win. Opening line has cats with a 3.5 edge. Missoula is a tough place for opponents to win. I have a bad track record when I pick against the Griz, but I think the Cats are the better team.

PSU 24 @ 22 UNCU -- The Bears last chance to have a win on the season.

Sac 27 @ 24 UC Davis -- Causeway Classic. Both teams should be motivated for this one. UC Davis playing for post season play and Sac playing for a possible seed. These 2 appear to be about 30 minute drive from one another. Does that reduce the home field advantage?

NAU 24 @ 32 EWU -- Playing for satisfaction and fun. Home team takes the W.

ISU 21 @ 38 UI -- Is this game much of a rivalry? Idaho playing for a seed.

Weber 17 @ 24 CP -- Playing for satisfaction and fun. Home team takes the W.

MSUBobcat
November 16th, 2023, 11:25 AM
MSU 28 @ UM 23 - This has the makings of a slobberknocker. Going with the Bobcats to force enough FG's instead of TD's when the field gets short.
PSU 28 @ NoCo 17 - The season mercifully comes to an end for the Bad News Bears
Sac St 24 @ Davis 30 - Haven't been impressed with Sac St since their close loss at Idaho (1pt home win over NAU, 8pt @ NoCo, got outlasted by MSU at home, drubbed in the Zoo, Poly hung around) and Davis is at home, fighting for their playoff lives.
NAU 27 @ EWU 31 - Both teams have been a bit Jekyll and Hyde. Going with the Eags on that horrible field.
ISU-o 24 @ Idaho 34 - ISU will keep it close for a while being a rivalry game, but ultimately UI is the better team, at home, with more on the line.
WSU 35 @ Cal Poly 20 - After a disastrous stretch where the Wildcats lost 3 straight to NAU, Davis and EWU, causing me to think they were in the bottom 1/3 of the conference, they surprisingly swept the State of Idaho and will finish above .500 after all to keep that streak alive. Last season under .500 was 2014.

dbackjon
November 16th, 2023, 05:53 PM
Weber
Portland
NAU
MSU
Sac St
Idaho

Grizzlies82
November 16th, 2023, 07:20 PM
WSU at CP--- This year's weak Weber wraps up their season beating up a hapless Cal Poly.

PSU at UNC--- Jekyll & Hide Portland State is not going to be tripped up by a really bad Northern Colorado team.

NAU at EWU--- NAU has a (sometimes) dangerous offense while EWU has absolutely no defense. Giving Eastern WA the win due to their evil red rug and being an November outdoor game.

ISU at UI--- The Idaho Vandals are still hoping for a seed. Idaho will win big and atone for snoozing in Utah last week.

SAC at UCD--- Winner is in the playoffs, the loser will sit home. Davis appears to be the popular pick yet Sac State wins to secure a playoff slot.

MSU at UM--- Sadly I see MSU winning. The bobcats are up against the wall. A win likely gives them #3 seed and a couple of games in Bozeman. While a Montana State loss may send them back to #8 seed with an eventual trip back to So. Dakota State. These cats know they can't win there unless they allow QB's passes beyond the line of scrimmage, and count receptions outside of the end zone. This year's cat/Griz should be a very good game. Yet the Montana Grizzlies are playing for something positive (a likely #2 seed), while Little Brother is playing from desperation to keep their season from ending again over in South Dakota.

JALMOND
November 17th, 2023, 09:02 AM
PSU at UNC--- Jekyll & Hide Portland State is not going to be tripped up by a really bad Northern Colorado team.

The last game last year, the Vikings got tripped up by a really bad Cal Poly team.

MSUBobcat
November 17th, 2023, 09:23 AM
The last game last year, the Vikings got tripped up by a really bad Cal Poly team.

Ruh roh....

Russ B
November 18th, 2023, 07:34 PM

ISU at UI---After last week's perplexing loss on the road, the Vandals may have cost them a seed. They will need an impressive win at home over their rivals to look good. The Bengals have had a good season and, while no playoffs are on the horizon, they can derail the hopes of their rival. Still, Vandals take care of business...UI 51, ISU 28.

I rolled my eyes a little at this, but you ended up UNDER-predicting their score...at half. Wow.

JALMOND
November 18th, 2023, 10:41 PM
We have now reached the last games of the season in the conference and I have given myself a chance to avoid 20 misses in a season. I am currently at 62-17 and in all the years of predicting the games in the conference, the most wrong guesses I've had was 19 misses. I need to go at least 4-2 this weekend. That said here are my picks for this weekend's Big Sky games. I've listed the games in order of what I think are important, from the least important to the most important. Good luck to everyone this week.

WSU at CP---The Wildcats are trying to build on their winning streak since resuming play after their bye week and they head on the road to face the Mustangs, who played one of the heavies pretty tough last weekend but still seem to be struggling down the stretch. The Wildcats should end the season with a win to build on...WSU 38, CP 17.

PSU at UNC---It is mildly interesting to get to the last game of the season and have a team like the Bears that hasn't won a game yet. Playing at home this weekend against the Vikings, who looked like they already have checked out for the season. The Bears have looked tough, so the Vikings better come to play...PSU 24, UNC 20.

NAU at EWU---The Lumberjacks got a fairly unimpressive win last week over the winless basement dwellers, but a win is a win. They have momentum heading out on the road to face the Eagles, who got thumped by one of the better teams in the conference. Like last week, a dome team playing outdoors in November...EWU 48, NAU 28.

SAC at UCD---The Hornets picked a bad time for an uninspired home win last week against one of the basement teams. Now they head out to face the Aggies, who have been on a roll that they hope will lead them to a playoff berth. The Hornets could use a win to look good for the committee. The Aggies need one for a chance...UCD 38, SAC 35.

MSU at UM---For the conference title. Two fairly even teams. The Bobcats offense has been dynamic and their defense has been solid. The Grizzlies have been improving every week on both sides as well and now are playing their best football so far. Both teams are strong. Great offenses usually mean the defenses will shine...UM 17, MSU 15.

I close out the last two weeks 11-1, putting me at 67-18 for the year, and missing 20-miss season.xthumbsupx

Catbooster
November 18th, 2023, 11:05 PM
Nice job Jalmond. Thanks For doing these each season.

Russ B
November 18th, 2023, 11:07 PM

Agreed! xthumbsupx

JALMOND
November 19th, 2023, 02:04 AM

Thanks. I think mvem has been doing his for almost as long as I've been doing them. Also, a shout out to both wapiti and MSUBobcat. I've had a lot of help recently.