PDA

View Full Version : Is this the most anticipated NC game?

89Hen
December 11th, 2007, 01:54 PM
What was the most anticipated (hyped up) National Championship game in I-AA/FCS?

Umass74
No.

AZGrizFan
every year is the most anticipated. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

89Hen
December 11th, 2007, 02:00 PM
No.

Impatient bastages. Vote. :p

asu7
December 11th, 2007, 02:02 PM
UMASS APP

ApPlan
December 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM
2006 UMASS APP

BlueHen86
December 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Other: 2003 Delaware - Colgate.

xhomerx

OL FU
December 11th, 2007, 02:34 PM
It is difficult if not impossible not to be a homer. I assume the question is which game was the most anticipated by the fans at large. Well I have a big hole in my I-AA history. I missed out on most of the 90's due to work. So it is a little difficult for me to answer. I can see where this year could be since both programs are traditional power houses in FCS. But for me, it is a tie. 1985,1988,2001xnodx

GrizDen
December 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I voted "other" for Marshall vs Montana in 1996. Both teams were 14-0 and there was a ton of hype around Moss (those green and white striped Dr. Seuss socks were the worst).

For my non-homer pick, sure, I'll go with this years NC game for two core reasons.
1) It's got representatives that make up 3 of the last 4 Champions (soon to be 4 of 5).
2) FCS is getting more coverage than ever (although not to the level that most of us on AGS would like).

89Hen
December 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM
It is difficult if not impossible not to be a homer. I assume the question is which game was the most anticipated by the fans at large.
That was my intent, votes like BlueHen86's for UD/Colgate wouldn't even register on the national level.

Griz40
December 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I voted "other" for Marshall vs Montana in 1996. Both teams were 14-0 and there was a ton of hype around Moss (those green and white striped Dr. Seuss socks were the worst).

For my non-homer pick, sure, I'll go with this years NC game for two core reasons.
1) It's got representatives that make up 3 of the last 4 Champions (soon to be 4 of 5).
2) FCS is getting more coverage than ever (although not to the level that most of us on AGS would like).
I voted other for the same game Montana/Marshall '96. I will say that this year might be sold out quicker due to location of the two teams playing. App's win in the first game of the season did help to bring some media attention on a national level to FCS but I haven't seen anymore hype for this year's title game as compared to years past outside of this message board.

WUTNDITWAA
December 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM

I'm writing in Marshall/Montana 1996 too. xreadx

LacesOut
December 11th, 2007, 02:46 PM
GSU/Montana.

I think this was the time/game around which I started to actually pay attention to NC games and the I-AA playoffs.

TheValleyRaider
December 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM
From the sound of it, Montana-Marshall in 1996 would be the most anticipated just considering who was involved in the game. I didn't even know about I-AA, but I knew who Randy Moss and the Herd were.

I'd actually throw a vote out for 2005, UNI vs. App St. You had two teams with good fanbases, one was going to win their first title, players like Eric Sanders and Richie Williams. That was a game to look forward to.

GrizDen
December 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM
GSU/Montana.

I think this was the time/game around which I started to actually pay attention to NC games and the I-AA playoffs.

I think this ranks up there from a national perspective. Two storied teams one from each side of the great Mississippi. That game was a fun one to watch (outcome withstanding). To this day, I always cheer for Adrian Peterson to do well in the NFL. That 50+ yard TD scamper in the second half still haunts me.

BlueHen86
December 11th, 2007, 03:24 PM
That was my intent, votes like BlueHen86's for UD/Colgate wouldn't even register on the national level.
I'm not sure any FCS games truly register on a national level.

All people know about Delaware is that people who don't live in it or next to it can't find it on a map. Oh yeah, their QB is a Pitt transfer.
All people know about Youngstown St is that Ohio St's coach came from there.
All people know about Appalachian St. is that they beat Michigan.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but there is a reason our championship game is on ESPN on Friday night, and not ABC on Saturday night.

To try and answer your question in the spirit you intended it (I think) I would say this years game because ASU is a two time champ and they beat Michigan this year.

ButlerGSU
December 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I think the 2000 Georgia Southern/Montana was the most hyped and it turned out to be a great game!

89Hen
December 11th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure any FCS games truly register on a national level...

To try and answer your question in the spirit you intended it (I think) I would say this years game because ASU is a two time champ and they beat Michigan this year.
I was talking about a I-AA national level... all the people here and on I-AA school message boards. xpeacex

blueballs
December 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM
It is hard to argue with the Marshall/Montana matchup when both teams were undefeated...

The YSU/GSU game in 1999 was for title supremacy as YSU had 4 rings and GSU 5 going in... two pretty fair coaches on the sidelines and one of the greatest individual performances and performances by a team in a single quarter happened that day too.

GaSouthern
December 11th, 2007, 04:35 PM
it's easy to forget just how big some of thoes games were in the past, people always think the best _____ happened recently.

GaSouthern
December 11th, 2007, 04:36 PM
...I'd say Marshall vs. Montana btw.

AppStateold299
December 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I noticed a poster earlier put that this year due to the location of both schools. That is why I voted for the GSU vs. Furman. I think the SoCon is hard competition and great rivalries. The NC game being all SoCon is very anticipated, but maybe only by SoCon.

ASU
December 11th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I would have to go along with Appalachian -vs- UMass last year.....
There was just something about their arrogance that got under my skin.

AzGrizFan ...... anyone but us, eh? You truly live up to your sub-text....
"AGS Troublemaker".... you tend to restore my faith in mankind.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 11th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I would say that last year was more anticipated than this year. This year seems to be giant versus underdog, last year it seemed to be giant versus giant. You had two teams that were undefeated in FCS play...the CAA people seemed sure UMass would win...SoCon people seemed sure App. would.

UMass922
December 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Besides the two that UMass has played in, the upcoming game is probably the one I've most looked forward to since I started following I-AA/FCS in '97.

AZGrizFan
December 11th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure any FCS games truly register on a national level.

All people know about Delaware is that people who don't live in it or next to it can't find it on a map. Oh yeah, their QB is a Pitt transfer.
All people know about Youngstown St is that Ohio St's coach came from there.
All people know about Appalachian St. is that they beat Michigan.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but there is a reason our championship game is on ESPN on Friday night, and not ABC on Saturday night.

And all people know about Montana is it's the last best place on earth!!! xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

but don't tell anyone.... xnonox xnonox

AppMan
December 11th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I vote for this year's game based on ASU's win over Michigan and Delaware beating Navy. Those two victories brought a lot of attention to the division and that has carried over to the championship game.

appfan2008
December 11th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I voted for ASU UNI bc I remember both were schools that had never been to the title game and they were probably the two greatest programs that had never been there so that added something to it...

appchuck
December 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I voted for GSU/YSU because of the history of the programs...

Grizo406
December 11th, 2007, 08:30 PM
And all people know about Montana is it's the last best place on earth!!! xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

but don't tell anyone.... xnonox xnonox

I do have a few pics, and if anyone wants to see them, they'll have to ask me nicely...if they want to see them!xwhistlex

Hansel
December 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM
89- anyreason Marshall/Montana didn't make it????? (other than east coast bias)

BTW I accidentally voted for McNeese/YSU :0

Mountain Panther
December 11th, 2007, 09:40 PM
2005 - neither team had won a NC at that point.

unicat87
December 12th, 2007, 01:31 AM

Yes. -unicat87

TheKDL
December 12th, 2007, 02:04 AM
2005 App. State UNI was the best I think. It was a great game that came down to the final seconds.

mvemjsunpx
December 12th, 2007, 03:51 AM
OTHER

Montana vs. Marshall in 1996 was definitely the most anticipated. Both teams were unbeaten & ran 1-2 in the polls the entire season after Montana's 22-20 win the year before. Not to mention Randy Moss was involved. Mick Dennehy called him the best player at any division that year.

The 2007 title game would more fall along the lines of most unexpected. Did anyone really see an App State/Delaware matchup at the beginning of the playoffs?