PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Youngstown St. @ Murray St.

Paladin1aa
November 14th, 2023, 10:00 AM
Regular season comes to an end with YSU traveling to Kentucky. With a chance to win their 7th game and possibly qualify for the playoffs, YSU has some incentive for the game.

They also have a chance for a weak coaching staff to regain some semblance of respect after a blow out loss to SDSU where they failed at virtually every aspect of the game. For whatever mysterious reason they failed to use their best RB who only got 7 carries in favor of a decidedly inferior one, play a running QB who doesn’t pass well and used nothing but bread and butter plays with no surprises or trick plays for a better opponent.

No word yet on how healthy YSU is but they did not appear to lose anyone in the last game. SDSU was, as it appeared, the hardest hitting team YSU has played this season other than Ohio State.

Not much known about Murray St., so awaiting the game notes to find out more about them.

Paladin1aa
November 14th, 2023, 03:45 PM
Game notes are out. YSU is healthy for the game with all starters listed.

Murray St. shows a team that includes 29 transfers/Jucos and a dozen players from Florida. Most players come from near mid-south and Midwest. They have had problems in a weak run game and a QB who has thrown almost as many INTs as TDs. The D has been scored on easily leading to large score games. Accordingly they are 2-8 for a reason.

Game gets televised back in the Valley on MyYTV at 2:00 Eastern.

Paladin1aa
November 15th, 2023, 03:37 PM
Massey is projecting a YSU win by a score of 38-20. That may be a safe prediction. YSU averages around 40 points a game. YSU is one of the MVFC better run D giving up a little more than 100 yds a game. But their pass D is giving up over 2500 yds this season or over 250 yds a game. Fortunately Murray’s QB is throwing almost as many INTs as TDs and shows a poor overall pass O in yds.

Still, it’s a road game where YSU has to be ready to compete. It’s Senior day for the Racers and they can end a potential playoff bid for YSU beating the Guins.

MR. CHICKEN
November 15th, 2023, 04:05 PM
Massey is projecting a YSU win by a score of 38-20. That may be a safe prediction. YSU averages around 40 points a game. YSU is one of the MVFC better run D giving up a little more than 100 yds a game. But their pass D is giving up over 2500 yds this season or over 250 yds a game. Fortunately Murray’s QB is throwing almost as many INTs as TDs and shows a poor overall pass O in yds.

Still, it’s a road game where YSU has to be ready to compete. It’s Senior day for the Racers and they can end a potential playoff bid for YSU beating the Guins.

..........31.4.............BRAWK!

Paladin1aa
November 15th, 2023, 06:09 PM
..........31.4.............BRAWK!

BRAWK !

You sure you don’t own Big Peckers in Ocean City, Md ?

Paladin1aa
November 16th, 2023, 11:48 AM
One interesting aspect of this game is MSUs HC Dean Hood. He is a native of Ashtabula and a former finalist for the YSU job when it was open. Didn’t get the job because as YSU proves over and over again, politics trumps the hire as they insist on only hiring local guys from the Valley for the head job. Of course that hasn’t worked out well for the AD , among his numerous failures. Hood is a long time defensive coach, both by positions and as DC. Former HC at Eastern Kentucky and spent time under Stoops at Kentucky as his Special Teams coordinator.

He may have special incentive playing YSU. Could be some surprises ahead, lol.

Paladin1aa
November 17th, 2023, 02:56 PM
My guess -

YSU. 35

Racers. 14

The Yo Show
November 17th, 2023, 04:22 PM
So paladin, do you think Hood would have been a better hire than Philips?

Paladin1aa
November 17th, 2023, 06:16 PM
So paladin, do you think Hood would have been a better hire than Philips?

Hard to say ,Yo. For sure he had a better resume’. Head coach at Eastern Kentucky, Former DC there under legend HC Roy Kidd. Was also former DC at Wake Forrest and Glenville St. Murray St. is his second head job. Phillips had nothing - never a HC, never a OC or DC. Out of football for years as a school administrator. You tell me. But Phillips had a rich friend from Salem who was rumored going to make a big $$$ donation if Phillips, his good friend, was given the job. Of course was rumored Phillips was denied by the AD to run off the worthless local “stars” or to stop recruiting useless local stars. That, of course , was Wolfs problem as he DID run off local stars and cut wayyyyyyyyy back on local recruits. That made a lot of enemies for the Wolf.

Hood had a lot of experience that Phillips didn’t have. As an Ohio guy, no telling what recruiting contacts he had in state. He did take over a losing program and produce immediate winning seasons. Murray is now over their head in the MVFC so he will have to recruit to match the league.

I simply like to point out the inherent corruption at YSU as they have confined themselves to hiring only local guys as the HC. Heacock failed. Wolf got fired for standing up to the corruption and , of course, Pelini did a number on the program. Yet, they went ahead and hired another local - Phillips. A guy who had been out of football for years and had an otherwise paper thin resume’ of nothing jobs. Just don’t confuse him with Knute Rockne………….

One thing you can say about the AD - he failed a lot but consistently continues making his local decisions. One of these days he might get it right….😂😂😂😂😂

Redbird 4th & short
November 18th, 2023, 07:51 AM
We knocked their QB out of the game ... definitely a little scary, looked like neck or back issue as he was eventually conscious but laying perfectly still. They decided to put him in ambulance and drove him off the field and was hospitalized, though released after day or so. So I doubt he's playing .. no reason to risk anything. But I found no updates.

Paladin1aa
November 18th, 2023, 01:12 PM
YSU takes kickoff and drives down the field. TD pass.

YSU 7-0

Paladin1aa
November 18th, 2023, 01:18 PM
Hood pulls a trick play on a punt for a 1st down. TD pass follows. 7 all.

I expect more surprises from Hood today,lol

Paladin1aa
November 18th, 2023, 01:51 PM
MuST FG

MuST 10-7

Paladin1aa
November 18th, 2023, 02:09 PM
YSU short TD pass. Missed Xpt.

YSU 13-10

Paladin1aa
November 18th, 2023, 02:16 PM
YSU TD pass to Oliver.

YSU 20-10

Paladin1aa
November 18th, 2023, 02:56 PM
YSU drives for a short TD run.

YSU 27-10

Paladin1aa
November 18th, 2023, 04:02 PM
Final

YSU goes on the road at MuST and wins 34-17.

They should be in the playoffs

ysubigred
November 18th, 2023, 07:33 PM
Wondering what the extent of King's injury is.. "IF" the Guins make post-season, he'll be a big factor and needs to b healthy. There are some young guns riding the pine behind him, but wowsa..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
November 18th, 2023, 08:16 PM
Wondering what the extent of King's injury is.. "IF" the Guins make post-season, he'll be a big factor and needs to b healthy. There are some young guns riding the pine behind him, but wowsa..

Dont think King was seriously hurt. He was moving around on the sidelines.

King ran for 152 yds, on 23 carries , of YSUs 217 on the ground. Think he was just tired. He put some real hits on people.

ysubigred
November 18th, 2023, 08:31 PM
Dont think King was seriously hurt. He was moving around on the sidelines.

King ran for 152 yds, on 23 carries , of YSUs 217 on the ground. Think he was just tired. He put some real hits on people.He'll be needed to go forward, no doubt.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2023, 09:19 AM
Final

YSU goes on the road at MuST and wins 34-17.

They should be in the playoffs

One of us will get left out - YSU has the h2h, SIU has the body of work.....both could win a first round game but probably not more

Paladin1aa
November 19th, 2023, 09:59 AM
One of us will get left out - YSU has the h2h, SIU has the body of work.....both could win a first round game but probably not more

Depends on the bracket. I expect the MVFC to kick arse in the openers against the rest of FCS and even the second games could well go our way unless we are forced to play each other. Needless to say I don’t have a very high opinion of most of FCS this year except for the MVFC.

ysubigred
November 19th, 2023, 10:00 AM
One of us will get left out - YSU has the h2h, SIU has the body of work.....both could win a first round game but probably not moreWe'll do well till we hit a Dakota team.. xtwocentsx