PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: McNeese gets apology — and a loss

McCowboys
November 14th, 2023, 06:43 AM
BREAKING: McNeese gets apology — and a loss

Gary Goff received notice Monday from the head of Southland Conference officials that the critical unnecessary roughness call that went against the Cowboys last Saturday was wrong. The second-year McNeese State head coach said he got the apology by text after he asked for clarification on the call that took place late in the fourth quarter that went against the Pokes. The penalty was flagged on safety Jamori Evans and cost the Cowboys any chance of pulling off a comeback. The flag was called on a third-and-14 play with McNeese down by four with just under four minutes left. It led to a first down that was followed by a late Houston Christian touchdown and a 35-24 Cowboy loss. The Conference now says the call, which was also for targeting but that part was waved off after video review, should not have been made.

“It’s disappointing,” said Goff. “Nothing we can do about it now but move on.” It is the second time in his two years with the Pokes that Goff has gotten such a note from the league. It happened last season against Alcorn State when McNeese was uncharacteristically called for eight penalties. At 1-9 overall and 1-5 in the league, the apology didn’t make the Cowboys feel any better.

“A critical penalty in a critical part of the game,” said Goff. “That is not why we lost the game but it didn’t help us.”

Kam Sixkiller made his first career start for the Pokes last week. The true freshman quarterback threw for 249 yards, the most by a McNeese player this season. His 19-for-34 performance solidified his spot as the future QB of the Cowboys. Sixkiller did throw both a touchdown pass and a pick-six against the Huskies. He also had a fumble that stopped a McNeese drive deep in HCU territory. “I like some of the things Sixkiller did, outside the turnovers,” said Goff. “I feel that he is that guy for us moving forward.”

Sixkiller’s lone touchdown pass was a 39-yard strike to fellow freshman Cory O’Bryant, who had a big night himself. O’Brayant ended the night with a career-best six catches for 100 yards and his first college TD. “I’m really excited about Cory,” said Goff. “He has worked really hard and done a lot with his chances.” McNeese’s season has come down to the development and improvement of the younger players. “Exciting me the most is how many young players have gotten into there and performed well,” said Goff. “I like our young guys ai think they will get better. They are getting valuable game reps.”

The Cowboys will finish their season with the annual Battle of the Border in Beaumont, Texas. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m.

KPSUL
November 14th, 2023, 09:06 AM
This happens more than people realize; but with one important difference - Most Head Coaches have the class and professionalism not to make it public.

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2023, 09:07 AM
Hey - Furman got one of those last year for a call in the Samford @ Furman game that may have significantly contributed to costing Furman the 2022 SoCon Championship and to Samford winning that SoCon Championship.

SoCon Executives even went as far as publicly apologizing on social media AND terminating the white hat who was the primary perpetrator of the acknowledged injustice.

But look…Coach Karma kicked in and Furman could go undefeated in the SoCon and has already clinched the outright SoCon title this year while Samford is playing Saturday to, hopefully, avoid having a losing record.

MAYBE - this is the break McNeese needed to turn things around in 2024.

#BlessingInDisguise

McCowboys
November 14th, 2023, 09:51 AM
This happens more than people realize; but with one important difference - Most Head Coaches have the class and professionalism not to make it public.

Maybe they should.

McCowboys
November 14th, 2023, 09:55 AM
Hey - Furman got one of those last year for a call in the Samford @ Furman game that may have significantly contributed to costing Furman the 2022 SoCon Championship and to Samford winning that SoCon Championship.

SoCon Executives even went as far as publicly apologizing on social media AND terminating the white hat who was the primary perpetrator of the acknowledged injustice.

But look…Coach Karma kicked in and Furman could go undefeated in the SoCon and has already clinched the outright SoCon title this year while Samford is playing Saturday to, hopefully, avoid having a losing record.

MAYBE - this is the break McNeese needed to turn things around in 2024.

#BlessingInDisguise

With the way our offense has performed in the 4th quarter this season and up to that point in this 4th quarter, we could have lost anyway. But our struggling defense finally did something good and received a horrible call as a result. It was a real kick in the teeth for a struggling team.

Good luck to FU this weekend!

dbackjon
November 14th, 2023, 10:06 AM

what's wrong with going public?

Refs don't get held accountable enough

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2023, 10:08 AM
Nothing more irritating then a Ref that just needs to throw a flag late in the game

dbackjon
November 14th, 2023, 10:14 AM
Nothing more irritating then a Ref that just needs to throw a flag late in the game

We can agree on something

POD Knows
November 14th, 2023, 10:36 AM
I am still waiting for the apology for that stupid tainting call on NDSU against SDSU during the regular season game. Complete bull**** and if not called, the score is 28-7 or 28-0 at the half. 😀

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2023, 10:45 AM
I am still waiting for the apology for that stupid tainting call on NDSU against SDSU during the regular season game. Complete bull**** and if not called, the score is 28-7 or 28-0 at the half. 
Perhaps those extremely favorable and significantly consequential calls in last year’s UIW game were “apologies in advance.”

POD Knows
November 14th, 2023, 11:34 AM
Perhaps those extremely favorable and significantly consequential calls in last year’s UIW game were “apologies in advance.”Dont remember, refresh my memory, I do know that the Bison got outplayed that game and should have lost.

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2023, 11:50 AM
Dont remember, refresh my memory, I do know that the Bison got outplayed that game and should have lost.
NDSU Fumble ruled not fumble http://amp.thecomeback.com/college-football/fcs-north-dakota-state-incarnate-word-fumble.html

UIW TD Catch ruled not catch - less clear in FUBeAR’s mind, but it was one of those ‘continuation’ things where the ball came out of his hands OOB after he had caught it in the EZ

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2023, 12:19 PM
We can agree on something

I’m sure we agree on more than you can imagine

KPSUL
November 14th, 2023, 02:09 PM
Maybe they should.

For what purpose? The officials can't reverse the outcome of the game, nor can the teams replay the whole game or any part of it. Making it public just makes it more likely that a coach will never get the next phone call or email from the conference's supervisor of officials. There is value in coaches contacting the official's office and making a complaint and the officials validating the coach's concern when warranted. It raises awareness concerning possible officiating errors and can contribute to improving performance, identifying crews or individual officials that need training and closer monitoring, assessing individual competence and if needed, disciplinary or corrective action for officials who get it wrong too often, or even make decisions in a capricious manner. Whining to the local press or fan base accomplishes none of that.

ElCid
November 14th, 2023, 02:19 PM
I'm leery any time someone says a call cost them the game. Bad calls happen. We have all been on both sides of the issue. One call is seldom the deciding factor. When the officials blow a call, they are made to answer, sometimes with their job. Sometimes not. They are human. Unless it is a gross error, they live and learn hopefully. And we all know lots of stuff never gets called that should as well. I watched a couple game recently that flagged plays for unnecessary roughness and targeting. Both were reviewed and the flags picked up. I suppose because the unnecessary roughness part was associated solely with the targeting.

McCowboys
November 14th, 2023, 03:21 PM
All Coach Goff did was contact the SLC office for clarification on the call. I guess like many of us, we are confused by what is and what is not called targeting - and then what about the play resulted in the penalty. That is all he did. He asked legitimate questions. It was the SLC who issued the apology and said it should not have been called. That was the SECOND terrible 15-yard penalty on McNeese on that drive.