PDA

View Full Version : Rhody interviewing !! Your thoughts??

Brad82
December 11th, 2007, 05:55 AM
http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_col_collead11_12-11-07_G3875L0_v9.25487e7.html#
Rizzi,Adrian,Talley,Cosgrove.
A good list. What are your thoughts??

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 11th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Jack Cosgrove??!!! That's a bit of a shocker isn't it?xeekx

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 11th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Could both Cobblestone and Mainejeff both get their wish?

PapaBear
December 11th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Jack Cosgrove??!!! That's a bit of a shocker isn't it?xeekx

I'd heard about this a week or so ago.

It is a bit shocking, if you look only at Cos's history and loyalty to UM. But he's reportedly had a few significant frustrations, lately, with the athletic department. (The field turf issue was a big one, I hear.)

Any URI folks have a bead on the odds of Cos getting hired there?

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 11th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I'd heard about this a week or so ago.

It is a bit shocking, if you look only at Cos's history and loyalty to UM. But he's reportedly had a few significant frustrations, lately, with the athletic department. (The field turf issue was a big one, I hear.)

Any URI folks have a bead on the odds of Cos getting hired there?

Didn't they just announce a plan for new turf?

PapaBear
December 11th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Didn't they just announce a plan for new turf?

Yep. Maybe too little, too late?

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 11th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Coach Cosgrove has proven to be a great recruiter over the years.

Being 5-6 hours further south would only help that.

Combine that with the upgrades that URI has/is doing Cosgrove could be in a position to make Maine look real bad over the next few seasons.
And URI good as well.

I always felt he was a Maine guy thru and thru.
He must be really pissed at someone.

Cobblestone
December 11th, 2007, 08:13 AM
http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_col_collead11_12-11-07_G3875L0_v9.25487e7.html#

Rizzi - Most logical choice of the 4. I hope he gets the job.

Adrian - Very familiar with him from experience, good defense guy. URI has (at least in my lifetime) never had a defensive oriented coach as an HC, perhaps it is time?

Talley - Another defense guy and a helluva player in hs day. Seems too inexperienced as this time though. Although I wouldn't be opposed to him.

Cosgrove - Our newest bridge here in R.I. is the Jamestown-Varrazno bridge which connects the islands of Jamestown and Aquidnick. To my knowledge nobody has jumped off this bridge yet. If we hire Cosgrove I will be the first.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 11th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Adrian - Very familiar with him from experience, good defense guy. URI has (at least in my lifetime) never had a defensive oriented coach as an HC, perhaps it is time?

Talley - Another defense guy and a helluva player in hs day. Seems too inexperienced as this time though. Although I wouldn't be opposed to him.

Cosgrove - Our newest bridge here in R.I. is the Jamestown-Varrazno bridge which connects the islands of Jamestown and Aquidnick. To my knowledge nobody has jumped off this bridge yet. If we hire Cosgrove I will be the first.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Tribe4SF
December 11th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Could this spell the end of the Rams' option attack?xeekx

I sure hope so, because it has given my Tribe fits!xthumbsupx

Tim James
December 11th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I like Adrian from that list.

DinoDex200
December 11th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I have nothing to add to this post other than I think it's awesome that URI's AD is named Thorr. xthumbsupx

MplsBison
December 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Cosgrove might be interviewing in order to get things moving at Maine the way he wants them.

U of North Dakota's HC interviewed at Montana State before deciding he wanted to stay at UND.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 11th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Cosgrove might be interviewing in order to get things moving at Maine the way he wants them.

U of North Dakota's HC interviewed at Montana State before deciding he wanted to stay at UND.

He just signed an extention.

That would make sense if he did this before his new contract.
I'm baffled.

Where the he!! are Mainejeff and Bainsey when you need them?

89Hen
December 11th, 2007, 12:02 PM
From my limited knowledge of the candidates, I would think Adrian would be the best choice. He's familiar with URI, he has HC experience, and experience helping programs turn around. NSU had a great year this year and he helped Bethune Cookman to the playoffs a couple times. He's my pick if I'm URI. xpeacex

PapaBear
December 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM
He just signed an extention.

That would make sense if he did this before his new contract.
I'm baffled.

Where the he!! are Mainejeff and Bainsey when you need them?

Are you saying Cosgrove just signed an extension?

Source, please.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 11th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Are you saying Cosgrove just signed an extension?

Source, please.

I'm going from this...

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=146754&ac=PHspt

I thought it was a done deal.
Am I wrong on this? If so that would explain alot.

PapaBear
December 11th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I'm going from this...

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=146754&ac=PHspt

I thought it was a done deal.
Am I wrong on this? If so that would explain alot.

Not a done deal at all. I'm fairly certain the two parties have met to start discussing Coach Cos' tenure. But I believe (and I can't stress enough that this is ONLY an opinion) Coach Cos is looking for some commitments that have nothing to do with salary and contract length, and everything to do with more significant $$ support for the program, overall.

The staff is out recruiting right now, so I doubt this news will help their efforts.

WrenFGun
December 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM

I "lol'd" here.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 11th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Not a done deal at all. I'm fairly certain the two parties have met to start discussing Coach Cos' tenure. But I believe (and I can't stress enough that this is ONLY an opinion) Coach Cos is looking for some commitments that have nothing to do with salary and contract length, and everything to do with more significant $$ support for the program, overall.

The staff is out recruiting right now, so I doubt this news will help their efforts.

As an outsider looking at the situation and seeing some of the quotes out of admin up there I too questioned what the future support of the program will be.

Good luck.xpeacex

Go...gate
December 11th, 2007, 12:59 PM
You can't have Dick Biddle.

mainejeff
December 11th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Maine is not going to win with Cosgrove at the helm no matter how much money is thrown at the program.

URI is NOT going to hire Cosgrove no matter how many of us wish that they would.

Cosgrove pulled the same thing about 5 years ago when he was up for another contract extension.......he interviewed for the Northeastern job.

Either way, I don't think that any Maine fans are feeling too good about the program right now........it's been a tough year for UMaine athletics in general.......and the common denominator is that AD Blake James has been in charge during that time frame.

dgreco
December 11th, 2007, 01:36 PM
i think talley might be a good cheap fit. use that extra money in other sports, recruiting, upgrades etc... I am surprised they didn't interview Murphy.

PapaBear
December 11th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Maine is not going to win with Cosgrove at the helm no matter how much money is thrown at the program.

URI is NOT going to hire Cosgrove no matter how many of us wish that they would.

Cosgrove pulled the same thing about 5 years ago when he was up for another contract extension.......he interviewed for the Northeastern job.

Either way, I don't think that any Maine fans are feeling too good about the program right now........it's been a tough year for UMaine athletics in general.......and the common denominator is that AD Blake James has been in charge during that time frame.

OK, I'll bite. What has James done, or failed to do, that has contributed to UMaine's lack of competitiveness during his tenure?

mainejeff
December 11th, 2007, 02:16 PM
OK, I'll bite. What has James done, or failed to do, that has contributed to UMaine's lack of competitiveness during his tenure?

I'm just pointing out a fact. Maybe he has nothing to do with anything. Maybe Maine needs to dump their entire athletic program.......I don't know. It's just very frustrating being a Maine Black Bears fan. And we can't even use the "remote location" or the "no money" excuse.

Montana.....UNH......North Dakota State.....South Dakota State......it can be done.

89Hen
December 11th, 2007, 02:47 PM
i think talley might be a good cheap fit. use that extra money in other sports
xeekx Other sports??

dgreco
December 11th, 2007, 04:02 PM
xeekx Other sports??

should of proof read that. I meant other spots. As I stated maybe fieldturf, maybe refurbing the original stands. Recruiting could help if they really put a good effort into that. URI has a nice campus especially near the football field with the Ryan Center. If they could open up the Ryan Center from the stands, that would be a nice addition to incorporate that entire building.

Fordham
December 11th, 2007, 04:22 PM
<phew!>

89Hen
December 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM
should of proof read that. I meant other spots. As I stated maybe fieldturf, maybe refurbing the original stands. Recruiting could help if they really put a good effort into that. URI has a nice campus especially near the football field with the Ryan Center. If they could open up the Ryan Center from the stands, that would be a nice addition to incorporate that entire building.
Gotcha! xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
December 11th, 2007, 06:55 PM

They can and already do. All I have to do is get up from my seat walk up 2 steps, open a door and I am inside the Ryan Center. At that point I can get a hot burger, cold soda and bring them inside the arena and eat. These new stands on the home side are great. The visitors side is in bad shape but plans are under way to fix them up. Meade is looking much better these days.

dgreco
December 11th, 2007, 06:59 PM
They can and already do. All I have to do is get up from my seat walk up 2 steps, open a door and I am inside the Ryan Center. At that point I can get a hot burger, cold soda and bring them inside the arena and eat. These new stands on the home side are great. The visitors side is in bad shape but plans are under way to fix them up. Meade is looking much better these days.

I was thinking where the glass is at the stop of the stands. If they made those into some type of doors, I imagined that as a good way to open concessions and stuff. I could be wrong I havent been there in awhile, but I thought it was level with teh second level and could be easy enough to do.

Cobblestone
December 11th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I was thinking where the glass is at the stop of the stands. If they made those into some type of doors, I imagined that as a good way to open concessions and stuff. I could be wrong I havent been there in awhile, but I thought it was level with teh second level and could be easy enough to do.

That's where the doors are. That's how you get to the concession stands and rest rooms. Some folks even stay inside and watch the game from there if it's cold or raining outsde.

dgreco
December 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM
That's where the doors are. That's how you get to the concession stands and rest rooms. Some folks even stay inside and watch the game from there if it's cold or raining outsde.

Well then it sounds just about right, put the field turf in and hire talley. I think it says a lot, to get a team who was 1-10 to start 4-0, with all the same players. It shows he can inspire, and get kids to play. They only finished 5-5, but then look again the players you have you can only do so much. He would be a good fit I think. He could also drop the I was an NFL coach for recruits.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 11th, 2007, 10:44 PM

Sorry, but URI has made a statement that is not a good one with this list. Jack is not going anywhere. Coach Talley is a cheap alternative, given he's a young, new Div 2 HC, Coach Adrian has got to be near retirement-he was coaching at URI way back in the 1970's with Coach Griffin. There is a guy, recently at ND and NFL-Europe (Peter Vaas) who is creative, knows QB play (took Quinn to #2 in Heisman and won the Maxwell Award), will bring in a pro offense, .... who is available and would do a great job. New England guy, can recruit, ..... Peter chose to stay in the game by going to Duke for a year instead of taking Charlie W's severance pay and paid the price for Coach Roof's dismissal. URI fans, time to really lament-the writing is on the wall if these are the final 4, ...

Fordham
December 12th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Why do you think Stowers failed at URI after being so successful at GSU, , Cobblestone or Brad82?

Brad82
December 12th, 2007, 05:44 AM
VT Wildcat-don't be surpised if some more names come out of hat.
Also,what is wrong with Rizzi? Pete Adrian is 59 I think.
I submitted Vaas's name.

Brad82
December 12th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Stowers certainly had the resume.
QB's got banged up almost every year in that too physical offense. Almost all missed games ea. year. Bad play-calling. Bad defense most years. Could not win close games. Relied to much on athleticism of kids (run by or over opponents) vs. scheming -schedule too tough for that.

Cobblestone
December 12th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Why do you think Stowers failed at URI after being so successful at GSU, , Cobblestone or Brad82?

Stowers certainly had the resume.
QB's got banged up almost every year in that too physical offense. Almost all missed games ea. year. Bad play-calling. Bad defense most years. Could not win close games. Relied to much on athleticism of kids (run by or over opponents) vs. scheming -schedule too tough for that.

Brad's correct on all points. We had a fine athlete for a QB a few years ago named Jayson Davis. This kid took more of a pounding than any of his OL did. He wasn't fragile either; the kid was durable, worked out hard in the weight room but could never finish an entire season because of the beating that a QB takes with the style offense Stowers executed. I might add that no QB under Stowers was able to play an entire season due to injuries. You can't have that at the QB position.

As for play calling, I lost count of the number of times we'd have the ball on our own one yard line and Stowers would have the QB pitch the ball backwards into our own end zone. Usually this resulted in a safety. A few times it resulted in a TD for the defense. How many times did he do this? More than once! One time you make a mistake like that and you learn from it but Stowers did not.

Inability to change. His playbook wasn't working. But he refused to rewrite it our make adjustments. As a result we became THE most predictable offense in the A-10/CAA.

Defense. He simply knew nothing about it. I think he went through 3 Defensive Coordinators (DC) in the time he was coach. Each DC ran a vanilla type defense with no creativity. When you are playing against an O-Line that is much bigger than you (which was almost always the case) it is imperative to do some creative blitzing and defensive alignments. Yet, I saw none of this. In fact one DC left or was fired (I forget which) because he wanted to change the entire defensive scheme and put in defensive plays such as a flex defense, slanted nose tackle alignment, safety blitzes etc. the result? Stowers overruled him and the next season we had another DC.

As Brad said, we very seldom won the close games. A few times we did but usually Stowers would find a way to lose. I can recall a game vs. Villanova (who was in the top 25 at the time) where we had a 6 point lead with a minute left in the game. Villanova had the ball and it was 4th and 18. ALL our defense had to do was protect the down marker and we had a win. Instead Villanova gets a first down, because we had a slow secondary that season, then goes on to score a TD, kick the extra point and win. Sadly, there were too many losses like this.

Most of our games we weren't even close enough for it to go down to the wire. With the style offense Stowers ran, once you fall behind by 2 TD's the game is over. I could handle a close loss, as long as we played a competitive game but when we would lose by 4 or 5 TD's then it became a waste of time to be there.

Discipline. Forgive me on this one because I'm what you'd call an old salt. But I think Stowers had real problems with this. Many games I would see guys on the sidelines waving to their girlfriends in the crowd in the middle of the game while the team was getting pounded on the field. I'm sorry but that shows a lack of discipline.

Don't get me wrong on any of this. Tim Stowers is a good man and a nice guy but this is one case where the nice guy did indeed finish last. I read that he is looking to get out of coaching altogether. He likes fund raising and would like to do that fulltime. I think he would be excellent at this and should be hired for this type of a position. Not everyone is cut out to be a leader and Tim is one of those folks.

I hope this and Brad's reply answer your question.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 12th, 2007, 08:16 AM
How many scholarships does URI fund?

I'd heard they aren't close to 63. Is that true?

Cobblestone
December 12th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure exactly. I think it's just little less than 63. Brad posted once how many it is exactly.

Fordham
December 12th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks Cobblestone and Brad - I'm always curious when a guy who is as successful as Stowers was prior to URI comes in and can't get the job done somewhere else. Makes you wonder how much of it is a systemic URI problem and how much was coaching. Sounds like he had enough issues on his own that he could have certainly been more successful than he was. Whether or not that would have put you in the mix in such a competitive conference, though, I guess remains to be seen.

York's question is a great one and gets at how committed the school is to winning, particularly if the answer is that you're not near the full allotment when competing against other conference schools who are at the max.

Brad82
December 12th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Rhody has 59 scholarships. They feel it is equal to 63 based on in-state $$ equivalencies. Others feel it is not. They feel this puts them in a better situation than some of the other state schools in the conference. It is a tired argument. There has to be 44 good or great players that want to come to Rhody. Two deep is enough to win. BB has done well despite scollie NCAA restrictions.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Rhody has 59 scholarships. They feel it is equal to 63 based on in-state $$ equivalencies. Others feel it is not. They feel this puts them in a better situation than some of the other state schools in the conference. It is a tired argument. There has to be 44 good or great players that want to come to Rhody. Two deep is enough to win. BB has done well despite scollie NCAA restrictions.

59 is far more than I'd heard. Rumors of closer to 35 or so.

Don't agree that you can win with 44.

Most to programs will have 12 or so scholarship players on the red shirt list. Usually frosh not ready to compete yet.

Depth is an issue for any team even with 63. And what about special teams? UNH lost 8 or so kids for the year with injury during the course of the season. I'm sure many other programs were in the same boat.

To compete year after year in the CAA or any top conference for that matter without a full allotment of schollies is very difficult.

A top coach would take that into concideration you'd think.

Brad82
December 12th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I honestly don't believe that every single team in D-1 FCS does not have four kids taking up schollies that should be playing D-3 FB. I have never heard that having 4 less schollies as an excuse by any of the coaches up there.

Cobblestone
December 12th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I will say that we have always had trouble competing with the Virginia schools which is probably why we have never had a playoff appearance since the A-10/CAA was formed. We should however be able to compete with our former Yankee Conference foes. I do not see where UNH or UMASS or Northeastern or Maine have facilities that much better than ours. We are all drawing from the same recruiting pool as well. Sometimes we can steal a win against these guys but no way should we be cellar dwellars in our division of the CAA.

I'm tired of saying it but.... we are a much better fit for the NEC. If nothing else it makes more sense for travel purposes.

danefan
December 12th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I'm tired of saying it but.... we are a much better fit for the NEC. If nothing else it makes more sense for travel purposes.

We'd be happy to trade with you!xthumbsupx

Brad82
December 12th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Might happen.

Husky Alum
December 12th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Whatever the number of scholarships offered really is URI offers enough (and I heard the number was between 55-58) so they can play an FBS team and have the game "count" for bowl eligibility.

What NCAA scholarship restrictions does URI's hoop team have, that others don't have?

They're past the days of Lamar Odom Probation, and last I checked, they offered the same 13 scholarships for men's hoops as most of the D-I schools offer (with the noted exceptions of Ivies, Certain PL schools, and the Service Academies).

MplsBison
December 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I see no reason why URI can't do what UNH and UMass have done the past few seasons.

Cobblestone
December 12th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I see no reason why URI can't do what UNH and UMass have done the past few seasons.

xbeerchugx xhurrayx

MplsBison
December 12th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Obviously getting rid of the TO and bringing the team into the 21st century will help.

Plus you've always got the Mafier down Providence to help out.

Cobblestone
December 12th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Obviously getting rid of the TO and bringing the team into the 21st century will help.

Plus you've always got the Mafier down Providence to help out.

They don't know how to get to Kingston. xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 12th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Will the visitors stands be done for next year?

Cobblestone
December 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Will the visitors stands be done for next year?

I doubt it. If you sit down low you'll be alright, I wouldn't sit up too high though. When the time comes, I can get you on the home side if you come down.

Minuteman87
December 12th, 2007, 12:25 PM
There is a guy, recently at ND and NFL-Europe (Peter Vaas) who is creative, knows QB play ...

Didn't Holy Cross FIRE him a few years ago?

Talley may not be a bad choice. Sometimes you have to take a chance on an up-and-coming guy, catch lightning in a bottle. Would be good to see the Rams turns things around.

But PLEASE URI, don't ever return to the Tom Ehrhardt days. That guy drove me crazy!!! You know he was going to pass on every down and yet he could not be stopped. just kidding btw. All the best in the search.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 12th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I doubt it. If you sit down low you'll be alright, I wouldn't sit up too high though. When the time comes, I can get you on the home side if you come down.

After the Lake Meade incident, all Rhody needs is a bleachers debacle! Are folks at URI trying to kill the program?

Note to self: Bring loads of Tuckerman's Pale Ale to Kingston for Cobblestone so I don't have to sit in the old bleachers! ;) :p :p :p xlolx xlolx xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 12th, 2007, 12:42 PM
After the Lake Meade incident, all Rhody needs is a bleachers debacle! Are folks at URI trying to kill the program?

Note to self: Bring loads of Tuckerman's Pale Ale to Kingston for Cobblestone so I don't have to sit in the old bleachers! ;) :p :p :p xlolx xlolx xlolx

He!! with that....we'll just bring some HOT DAMN and have a who dares to clime to the top contest.xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
December 12th, 2007, 01:39 PM

That'll work!!

Brad82
December 12th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Husky Alum-Rhody BB lost scholarship(s) form Harrick fiasco @ end.
10-1-is their record. They should not be beating teams with more scholarships (unless it is an excuse) as I say.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 12th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I told you before i have a friend who is a coach at URI, and he told me they only use 59.say what you want, but the source does not get much better than that.

I'm sorry I must of forgotten....I'll be sure to pay more attention to your posts in the future.

danefan
December 12th, 2007, 05:41 PM
URI sometimes plays NEC teams, and kills them, there right in between.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last game for URI against an NEC team was in 2005? Its a very different NEC now then it was in 2005. Its a very reasonable proposition to think that Albany is now on the same level as URI.

Comparable opponents:
9/1/07 - 27-23 Fordham over URI
9/8/07 - 23-20 Albany over Fordham

Brad82
December 12th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Rhody has played good teams from all levels and conferences for a long time. They have never avoided anyone. According to a newspaper article http://hamptonroads.com/2007/12/spartans&#37;2526%2523039%3B-adrian-running-top-job-rhode-island job could be decided by this weekend. A little surprising. I would be happy with Coach Adrian,but I would bet it is Rizzi if he wants it.

Cobblestone
December 12th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I told you before i have a friend who is a coach at URI, and he told me they only use 59.say what you want, but the source does not get much better than that.

Is he a football coach on Stowers staff? If so I hope he has his resume updated.

Cobblestone
December 12th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Rhody has played good teams from all levels and conferences for a long time. They have never avoided anyone. According to a newspaper article http://hamptonroads.com/2007/12/spartans%2526%2523039%3B-adrian-running-top-job-rhode-island job could be decided by this weekend. A little surprising. I would be happy with Coach Adrian,but I would bet it is Rizzi if he wants it.

I think you're right. Tough choice though between Rizzi and Talley. I like Rizzi and the job he has done at Rutgers. Talley is young and well educated in coaching. This man could be an up and comer, might be good for Rhody to grab him now. Adrian was good in his day but maybe he needs to think about retiring. The game has changed and passed him by. Cosgrove is just using us to play mind games with the administration at Maine. We hire him and I'll jump into Narragansett Bay via the Jamestown-Verrazano bridge.

I'm disappointed that Martin frm GVSU was not included in the final 4. Maybe he wasn't interested. I think the final list could have been a bit better. Oh well.

Ram Ball
December 12th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I hope they hire Rizzi. Also, great explanation on Stower's problems at Rhody, Cobblestone.

Monarch History
December 12th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Rhody has played good teams from all levels and conferences for a long time. They have never avoided anyone. According to a newspaper article http://hamptonroads.com/2007/12/spartans%2526%2523039%3B-adrian-running-top-job-rhode-island job could be decided by this weekend. A little surprising. I would be happy with Coach Adrian,but I would bet it is Rizzi if he wants it.

I agree that Coach Adrian who has done a fantastic job at Norfolk State would be a great choice. He has taken a mediocre Spartan proram to its first winning season in the FCS. IMHO he would be a great choice.xnodx

dgreco
December 12th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I think you're right. Tough choice though between Rizzi and Talley. I like Rizzi and the job he has done at Rutgers. Talley is young and well educated in coaching. This man could be an up and comer, might be good for Rhody to grab him now. Adrian was good in his day but maybe he needs to think about retiring. The game has changed and passed him by. Cosgrove is just using us to play mind games with the administration at Maine. We hire him and I'll jump into Narragansett Bay via the Jamestown-Verrazano bridge.

I'm disappointed that Martin frm GVSU was not included in the final 4. Maybe he wasn't interested. I think the final list could have been a bit better. Oh well.

to be honest, I think Talley is the guy. He will do a great job at URI. they won't be a cellar dweller with him. They won't come out and win the CAA, but they will know how to close out games unlike this year. They will also get good recruiting from him.

As I said, take Talley, put in fieldturf, and go from their. Huge help. The old stands may suck, but the new stands and the Ryan Center is nice. When comparing Bryant, UNH, Maine etc... they could get those kids no questions. Especially with the field turf. Go Rhody! just not against bryant xlolx xrolleyesx

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM
VT Wildcat-don't be surpised if some more names come out of hat.
Also,what is wrong with Rizzi? Pete Adrian is 59 I think.
I submitted Vaas's name.

Rizzi would be fine. Assoc HC, Special Teams, RB's coach at Rutgers. Head Coach at New Haven, 15-14 overall. Also, GA at URI, coached at Northeastern and Colgate.

Peter Vaas has all kinds of successful experience: D3 HC (Allegheny),D1-AA Off Coord (UNH) and Head Coach (Holy Cross), CFL Off Coord, NFL-Europe Off Coord under Jack Bicknell, NFL-Europe HC experience for TWO teams, 2 stints at ND (Holtz and Weiss-egomaniac), and Off Coord at Duke this past year. He is connected, he is smart, he is absolutely a mother's dream when visiting homes, ....

Peter's only lack of success came in 3 yrs as HC at Holy Cross (his alma mater). He thought with his heart, not his head, taking over a program that dropped scholarships the year before he arrived. Mark Duffner absolutely left the cupboard totally bare, then moved on to Maryland where he was let go in a couple of years of disastrous results. Peter was let go after 3 years -- didn't even get his full 4 years of players.

As a UNH fan, I hope URI doesn't interview him! :D

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 12th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Didn't Holy Cross FIRE him a few years ago?

See my post elsewhere on this thread. Peter made a decision with his heart to return to his alma mater the year after Mark Duffner left a barren cupboard and year after HC dropped scholarships. Peter got 3 yrs only, ... not a fair assessment by any dimension of evaluation.

Monarch History
December 13th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Norfolk State Coach Pete Adrian has withdrawn his name from consideration for the URI position.

http://hamptonroads.com/2007/12/adrian-will-stay-norfolk-state-football-coach

mainejeff
December 13th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Norfolk State Coach Pete Adrian has withdrawn his name from consideration for the URI position.

http://hamptonroads.com/2007/12/adrian-will-stay-norfolk-state-football-coach

Yes!

Go Cosgrove! xthumbsupx

danefan
December 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Doesn't deserve its own thread, but its New England football related: UAlbany OC was hired as New Haven's new Head Coach
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=647109&category=SPORTS&newsdate=12/14/2007

Cobblestone
December 14th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Yes!

Go Cosgrove! xthumbsupx

Sorry Jeff, it's between Rizzi and Talley. Cosgrove is just using us as a bargaining chip and we see it.

mainejeff
December 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Sorry Jeff, it's between Rizzi and Talley. Cosgrove is just using us as a bargaining chip and we see it.

Let's not jump to conclusions! xprayx

Brad82
December 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM
wonder what happened with Adrian to take his name out?
Hope it is Rizzi.

dgreco
December 14th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Doesn't deserve its own thread, but its New England football related: UAlbany OC was hired as New Haven's new Head Coach
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=647109&category=SPORTS&newsdate=12/14/2007

i dont think it will hurt UA, but it was a great hire for UNH.

danefan
December 14th, 2007, 03:39 PM

I agree, its up in the air as to how this will affect UA in the long run. Arguably, our offensive scheme hurt us this year. Maybe a change is good for UA. Great hire for New Haven. Coach Rossumondo is a very intense and dedicated guy, which are great attributes to revive that program.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM

I'm not going to go all Citdog on you but if you're going to call New Haven UNH that would make New Hampshire The UNH.:D

Cobblestone
December 14th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Let's not jump to conclusions! xprayx

xlolx

Here's a deal for you. We take Cosgrove if you take Stowers. Sounds fair to me.

dgreco
December 14th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I'm not going to go all Citdog on you but if you're going to call New Haven UNH that would make New Hampshire The UNH.:D

I am fine with New Hampshire being referred to as The UNH on these forums.