PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette at Lehigh #159. Its that time again!

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2023, 05:55 AM
Thinking it should have own thread? This will be my 44th game God willing. Havent missed since my frosh year. AND my leopard my mom (still alive at 82) bought for me for 50 cent at a gargae sale somewhere in or atound Medford NJ the summer before I started in Easton has of course made all 43 and will be at 44. The coed really love him and want pics with him so we both feel wanted lol! I will have more ruminations on the 43 games so far during the week. The page is yours...

leopardball2010
November 13th, 2023, 06:50 AM
I'm excited for this one. I've always watch it online, maybe made it to a watch party. But I'm thinking about making the drive out this year.

I haven't been to a game in person in years. Haven't even visited campus in probably over 6 or 7 years. Maybe I'll bring my kids out.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Southsider
November 13th, 2023, 06:52 AM
Well, if you are looking for a competitive game, you might want to look elsewhere!

gravalico
November 13th, 2023, 07:34 AM
Some of my most vivid Rivalry memories in no particular order...

As a freshman on the sideline with no chance of actually getting into the game. As the clock winds down one of the upper classmen tells me to put my helmet on. I'm confused...why? I'm not going in? Just then both sides of the stadium poor on to the field and chaos ensues for a piece of the posts.

Sophomore year 1991. Clumps of Goodman stadium field being ripped up and hurled at opposing fans, Bethelem police macing students. No more "going for post".

The week leading up to the game. The facilities crew putting huge wooden boxes around all of the statues on campus to prevent would-be Lehigh vandals coming over to mess with them.

And just how quiet everything was immediately after the games. As a player you're ready to blow off some steam and enjoy the end of a long season. But the vast majority of the student body is done partying usually in some level of unconsciousness. One of the more boring nights of the year for most players.

I said it in another post and I will say it here. I hope Lafayette hangs 50 on Lehigh. I want this game to serve notice that Lehigh isn't winning this game again for a while. Holy Cross and Fordham are the least of Leigh's concerns going forward. It's all about Lafayette stuffing Lehigh into a locker every November for the foreseeable future. Then I want to steal all of their recruits and I want their President to casually mention that perhaps they ought to move down to D2 in casual conversation. That's all I'm looking for. GO PARDS! [emoji249][emoji458]

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2023, 07:37 AM
I'm excited for this one. I've always watch it online, maybe made it to a watch party. But I'm thinking about making the drive out this year.

I haven't been to a game in person in years. Haven't even visited campus in probably over 6 or 7 years. Maybe I'll bring my kids out.

Come on out! Look for me and the pard (shown in avatar with two of the handsome Eli Steward ladies lol)

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2023, 07:43 AM

As a freshman on the sideline with no chance of actually getting into the game. As the clock winds down one of the upper classmen tells me to put my helmet on. I'm confused...why? I'm not going in? Just then both sides of the stadium poor on to the field and chaos ensues for a piece of the posts.

Sophomore year 1991. Clumps of Goodman stadium field being ripped up and hurled at opposing fans, Bethelem police macing students. No more "going for post".

The week leading up to the game. The facilities crew putting huge wooden boxes around all of the statues on campus to prevent would-be Lehigh vandals coming over to mess with them.

And just how quiet everything was immediately after the games. As a player you're ready to blow off some steam and enjoy the end of a long season. But the vast majority of the student body is done partying usually in some level of unconsciousness. One of the more boring nights of the year for most players.

I said it in another post and I will say it here. I hope Lafayette hangs 50 on Lehigh. I want this game to serve notice that Lehigh isn't winning this game again for a while. Holy Cross and Fordham are the least of Leigh's concerns going forward. It's all about Lafayette stuffing Lehigh into a locker every November for the foreseeable future. Then I want to steal all of their recruits and I want their President to casually mention that perhaps they ought to move down to D2 in casual conversation. That's all I'm looking for. GO PARDS! [emoji249][emoji458]

Damn Grav, tell us how you really feel! Are you coming? Your first game I recall was overcast and light rain, mist rain really, at times. Only time I ever missed a quarter - first quarter as I was coming from my former roomates place in Bethlehem, some dude tapped my rear bumper (no time, so no damage lol) on 3rd Street in Bethlehem, and got caught in the 4th St exit traffic at Easton. I think I recall slipping back onto 22, going over bridge, and paying to come back but no traffic coming west as I witnessed sitting in traffic. Gold run! Missed 1st quarter though

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2023, 07:45 AM
Those boxes havent been used in well over 25 years I think. I remember them cropping up I swear first thing Monday morning of Lehigh week. I wonder if they still have them in storage with stickers. Lafayette's box, leopard's box....lol

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2023, 07:48 AM
Coldest game ever - 1987. Mid 20s temp and wind chill in egative territory as it was a BRUTAl NW wind at like 25-35 mph. Warmest had to be the 2009 double overtime at Lehigh. I think hit low 70s? I was on the grass bowl first and only time. 1982 at Easton was very mild too I recall. Ryan Priest with a 92 yard punt return TD. Does that still stand?

gravalico
November 13th, 2023, 07:51 AM
Damn Grav, tell us how you really feel! Are you coming? Your first game I recall was overcast and light rain, mist rain really, at times. Only time I ever missed a quarter - first quarter as I was coming from my former roomates place in Bethlehem, some dude tapped my rear bumper (no time, so no damage lol) on 3rd Street in Bethlehem, and got caught in the 4th St exit traffic at Easton. I think I recall slipping back onto 22, going over bridge, and paying to come back but no traffic coming west as I witnessed sitting in traffic. Gold run! Missed 1st quarter thoughNow is not the time for pleasantries. If you can't engage in pure, unadulterated smack talk during Rivalry week, when can you. At least I'm not going over to their campus to mess with their statues.

crusader11
November 13th, 2023, 07:57 AM
Someone please convince me that Lehigh has a shot in this one.

gravalico
November 13th, 2023, 07:59 AM
Someone please convince me that Lehigh has a shot in this one.Prepare yourself for a bunch of "any given Saturday", "throw the records out the window" talk.

LehighU11
November 13th, 2023, 08:45 AM

Pretty hard without Frank Tavani roaming the sidelines. In 2009, the Pards entered the game at 8-2 following a tough loss against HC for the league title. Lehigh was 3-7, but took LC to OT and won. LU followed that up with a 4 year run where they won all but 3 PL games, while LC began its decline under the Frankasaurus.

ElCid
November 13th, 2023, 09:13 AM
Enduring rivalries like this are what make FCS great!

Having grown up a mere 30-40 miles from these schools brings back memories. Even though I never went to game, I certainly knew about it.

gravalico
November 13th, 2023, 09:22 AM

Having grown up a mere 30-40 miles from these schools brings back memories. Even though I never went to game, I certainly knew about it.+100!

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2023, 09:24 AM

Having grown up a mere 30-40 miles from these schools brings back memories. Even though I never went to game, I certainly knew about it.

ElCid, iut was worth a trip! Did you grow up N,S, E or W of the Valley sir?

Franks Tanks
November 13th, 2023, 09:48 AM

Yes, this is the way. Despite several 200 yard games this year, and just under 1,200 for the season (he missed 1.5 games), I believe Trox hasn’t fully unleashed Jamar Curtis. Jamar has only around 175 carries for the season, as the staff has smartly limited overuse. On Saturday I hope we’re up a few scores in the second half and Jamar is still ripping off 20 yards runs. Go for 300, rub it the hell in. We rarely get to do this to “them”. (I know we’ll want to keep him healthy for the playoffs and just getting a bit fired up over here).

Frank botched that 2009 game by trying to be cute, running risky trick plays early and let Lehigh hand around and gain confidence. All we need to do on Saturday is play like we can and should, and avoid bonehead plays early that will let Lehigh think they have a chance.

ElCid
November 13th, 2023, 09:49 AM
ElCid, iut was worth a trip! Did you grow up N,S, E or W of the Valley sir?

15 miles NE of the Water Gap. In Sussex County NJ on the shores of Swartswood Lake.

gravalico
November 13th, 2023, 09:54 AM
Yes, this is the way. Despite several 200 yard games this year, and just under 1,200 for the season (he missed 1.5 games), I believe Trox hasn’t fully unleashed Jamar Curtis. Jamar has only around 175 carries for the season, as the staff has smartly limited overuse. On Saturday I hope we’re up a few scores in the second half and Jamar is still ripping off 20 yards runs. Go for 300, rub it the hell in. We rarely get to do this to “them”. (I know we’ll want to keep him healthy for the playoffs and just getting a bit fired up over here).

Frank botched that 2009 game by trying to be cute, running risky trick plays early and let Lehigh hand around and gain confidence. All we need to do on Saturday is play like we can and should, and avoid bonehead plays early that will let Lehigh think they have a chance.I had a chance to talk to Jamar after the game on Saturday. Soft spoken, respectful (called me "sir" the whole conversation) and he looks like he's 12. So excited we get him for a couple of more years.

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2023, 01:09 PM
15 miles NE of the Water Gap. In Sussex County NJ on the shores of Swartswood Lake.

Good place in my heart for Sussex. Maternal grandparents retired to bank of Delaware River in Layton NJ. Land still there and I visit from time to time. House was demoed by feds to prevent squatters as it was acquired for Tocks Island Dam project in 1972. They moved out in June 1972. OMG Cid, Newton recently got a Starbucks and Panera on Shop Rite pad. Who would have thought?

CHIP72
November 13th, 2023, 04:28 PM
Lehigh dominated last year's game statistically but shot themselves in the foot enough to allow Lafayette to win.

Excluding the Bucknell game, the Leopards have not been overwhelming in any Patriot League game this season.

CHIP72
November 13th, 2023, 04:30 PM

Note this year's game is at Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2023, 04:38 PM
Lehigh dominated last year's game statistically but shot themselves in the foot enough to allow Lafayette to win.

Excluding the Bucknell game, the Leopards have not been overwhelming in any Patriot League game this season.

Lehigh has won two "true" road wins since the start of 2021 which i found to be alarming after last week's performance; Bucknell in 2021 and Georgetown in 2022.

Lafayette has the coaching advantage and the added motivation to claim the title on Lehigh's home turf. This would be the 'Pards first 9 win season since 1981 iirc! Lafayette has the clear coaching advantage, again, as well as the more balanced team. The only wildcard is the fact that Perri will likely be starting at QB for Lehigh. Silbor simply has not developed as a QB (coaching?) which has significantly compromised the Mountain Hawk's offense this year. As a result, Perri might give the unit some much needed "juice".

The next two rivalry games are in Easton IIRC.

I'm interested to see if there will be any changes made to Lehigh's staff. I'm quietly hoping Hunt "explores his options"....

leopardball2010
November 13th, 2023, 04:44 PM
Note this year's game is at Lehigh.Yes, I do know that. But thank you for confirming. I just figure if I'm going to make the 5-hour drive I might as well stop by campus too.

ElCid
November 13th, 2023, 04:58 PM
Good place in my heart for Sussex. Maternal grandparents retired to bank of Delaware River in Layton NJ. Land still there and I visit from time to time. House was demoed by feds to prevent squatters as it was acquired for Tocks Island Dam project in 1972. They moved out in June 1972. OMG Cid, Newton recently got a Starbucks and Panera on Shop Rite pad. Who would have thought?

I knew lots of folks that got screwed by the dam project. Yup Newton is growing up. Last time I was there was about 15 years ago. I know exactly where Layton is. I only have an Aunt and cousins still in Sussex county. I really want to take my dad back one more time, but he is really old. He could probably make the trip. I want to take him up to where he grew up in the finger lakes as well.

Southsider
November 13th, 2023, 05:21 PM
Lehigh has won two "true" road wins since the start of 2021 which i found to be alarming after last week's performance; Bucknell in 2021 and Georgetown in 2022.

Lafayette has the coaching advantage and the added motivation to claim the title on Lehigh's home turf. This would be the 'Pards first 9 win season since 1981 iirc! Lafayette has the clear coaching advantage, again, as well as the more balanced team. The only wildcard is the fact that Perri will likely be starting at QB for Lehigh. Silbor simply has not developed as a QB (coaching?) which has significantly compromised the Mountain Hawk's offense this year. As a result, Perri might give the unit some much needed "juice".

I'm interested to see if there will be any changes made to Lehigh's staff. I'm quietly hoping Hunt "explores his options"....

Owl, I believe next year is also at Lehigh. Then 2 straight in Easton to coincide with their anniversary. Can anyone confirm?

CHIP72
November 13th, 2023, 07:13 PM
Owl, I believe next year is also at Lehigh. Then 2 straight in Easton to coincide with their anniversary. Can anyone confirm?

That is correct. The 2024 (Lehigh) and 2025 (Lafayette) game sites were flipped because Lafayette wanted the 2025 game, which coincides with the 200th anniversary of the college's founding in 1826 (2025 being part of the 2025-2026 school year), in Easton.

The game sites the next few years are:

2023: Lehigh
2024: Lehigh
2025: Lafayette
2026: Lafayette
2027: Lehigh (resume alternating sites by year)

CHIP72
November 13th, 2023, 07:25 PM

FWIW, I think every college located within about 30 miles of Bethlehem that isn't in Bethlehem (i.e. excluding Lehigh and Moravian) is playing in a postseason football game this season (if Lafayette wins the Patriot League and/or makes the DI-AA/FCS playoffs).

*Lafayette: most likely in DI-AA/FCS playoffs
*Kutztown: D2 playoffs
*East Stroudsburg: D2 playoffs
*Muhlenberg: Centennial/MAC Bowl Series game (and just barely missed the D3 playoffs)
*Delaware Valley: D3 playoffs

But hey, hiring head coaches from successful D2 or D3 programs makes no sense for a school like Lehigh, right?

(One other note: Lafayette head coach John Troxell's former team, Franklin & Marshall, is also playing in one the Centennial/MAC Bowl Series games as the #2 Centennial Conference team, i.e. #3 overall team behind Johns Hopkins and Muhlenberg.)

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2023, 08:26 PM

YES!! LFGO!!!

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2023, 08:30 PM
Well, if you are looking for a competitive game, you might want to look elsewhere!

As much as we all want to see a 50 point LC win, I think this is going to be a competitive game. The X factor may be if Trox has this group so focused and motivated that they just blow Lehigh off the line and dominate the game. Cannot say what the current mental state and focus is of Lehigh, but I have to believe our guys are motivated and focused. I do not think they will be tense - they won this game last year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2023, 08:43 PM
That is correct. The 2024 (Lehigh) and 2025 (Lafayette) game sites were flipped because Lafayette wanted the 2025 game, which coincides with the 200th anniversary of the college's founding in 1826 (2025 being part of the 2025-2026 school year), in Easton.

The game sites the next few years are:

2023: Lehigh
2024: Lehigh
2025: Lafayette
2026: Lafayette
2027: Lehigh (resume alternating sites by year)

Good info Chip! Thanks!

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2023, 09:01 PM
I roll my eyes whenever I hear 'throw the records out the window when it comes to Lafayette-Lehigh'... yes, the records very much matter:

Let's assume a win margin of 3+ games as being significant i.e. Lafayette has 6 wins vs Lehigh 3 wins entering this game.

When 3+ wins better than Lehigh, Lafayette is: 26-5. Biggest Lehigh upsets: 1965, 2008 (3 win margin), 1892 (4 win margin), 1968, 2009 (5 win margin). This year is a 6-win margin for LC. When 6+, Lafayette is 5-0.

When 3+ wins better than Lafayette, Lehigh is: 2-32. Biggest Lafayette upsets: 2013 (4 win margin), 1949 (5 win margin). Lehigh is also 5-0 with a 6+ margin.

The 'biggest' games, where the teams combined for the most wins entering the game: 1981 & 2004 (16 wins), 2005 (15 wins). All three were classics.

You can say 1968 was the biggest Lehigh upset - they had lost their previous three games, and the Pards were on a 3-game winning streak. I do not think the game was even close. Meanwhile, those 2008 and 2009 games show you how much Frank bungled things.

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2023, 05:26 AM
Note this year's game is at Lehigh.

As well as next year!!!

gravalico
November 14th, 2023, 05:33 AM
As much as we all want to see a 50 point LC win, I think this is going to be a competitive game. The X factor may be if Trox has this group so focused and motivated that they just blow Lehigh off the line and dominate the game. Cannot say what the current mental state and focus is of Lehigh, but I have to believe our guys are motivated and focused. I do not think they will be tense - they won this game last year.After the game this past weekend my son and I were in the locker room. John mentioned as we were walking in, "No big celebrations this week". Sure enough it was quiet in there. Men just going about their business. We heard the occasional, "one more!", or "we're not done yet" yelled out but that was it. Certainly beating Fordham did not represent anything extraordinary for them. My son was a bit disappointed, truth be told. They seemed hyper-focused. We shall see.

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2023, 05:34 AM
I knew lots of folks that got screwed by the dam project. Yup Newton is growing up. Last time I was there was about 15 years ago. I know exactly where Layton is. I only have an Aunt and cousins still in Sussex county. I really want to take my dad back one more time, but he is really old. He could probably make the trip. I want to take him up to where he grew up in the finger lakes as well.

It actually was well timed for them. Grandmother had serious dementia and needed a home and they decided to place her near my parents in neighboring Voorhees. Granddad moved to a new concept (for me as a 10 year old) an over 55 community in Lumbeton nearby and would visit her every day, 7 days a week! She didnt know who he was. Anyways yes they would shop at what granddad called the Grand Onion (Union) in Newton. I still remember the little Kodak Photomat they had on the pad. I think your dad would like to see these cherished places one more time. Its worth the trip!

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2023, 05:40 AM
FWIW, I think every college located within about 30 miles of Bethlehem that isn't in Bethlehem (i.e. excluding Lehigh and Moravian) is playing in a postseason football game this season (if Lafayette wins the Patriot League and/or makes the DI-AA/FCS playoffs).

*Lafayette: most likely in DI-AA/FCS playoffs
*Kutztown: D2 playoffs
*East Stroudsburg: D2 playoffs
*Muhlenberg: Centennial/MAC Bowl Series game (and just barely missed the D3 playoffs)
*Delaware Valley: D3 playoffs

But hey, hiring head coaches from successful D2 or D3 programs makes no sense for a school like Lehigh, right?

(One other note: Lafayette head coach John Troxell's former team, Franklin & Marshall, is also playing in one the Centennial/MAC Bowl Series games as the #2 Centennial Conference team, i.e. #3 overall team behind Johns Hopkins and Muhlenberg.)

Yep Russo and Troxell came from D3..no issue in this corner. Good spot Chip! You have to go to game

ElCid
November 14th, 2023, 08:14 AM
It actually was well timed for them. Grandmother had serious dementia and needed a home and they decided to place her near my parents in neighboring Voorhees. Granddad moved to a new concept (for me as a 10 year old) an over 55 community in Lumbeton nearby and would visit her every day, 7 days a week! She didnt know who he was. Anyways yes they would shop at what granddad called the Grand Onion (Union) in Newton. I still remember the little Kodak Photomat they had on the pad. I think your dad would like to see these cherished places one more time. Its worth the trip!

Ok, this is getting scary. My granddad would shop nowhere else but the Grand Union in Newton. I would go with him sometimes in the late 60s and 70s. He lived just outside Newton after he retired. He was a 1916 Syracuse grad, spent time in the trenches in WWI, and was a retired Railroad guy. He was on the Erie-Lakawanna. The one thing that scares me about taking my dad back there is our beautiful house has fallen on hard times. It might break my dad's heart to see it now after he took such good care of it for 36 years. But I'm thankful he is still sharp in the head. I moved him in with me during the virus.

Oh, so as not to detail the thread, I think Lafayette walks away with this one. I've watched them a few times this season. I've been impressed. There appears to be something special going on. Unlike how my Bulldogs are falling apart.

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2023, 12:52 PM
Ok, this is getting scary. My granddad would shop nowhere else but the Grand Union in Newton. I would go with him sometimes in the late 60s and 70s. He lived just outside Newton after he retired. He was a 1916 Syracuse grad, spent time in the trenches in WWI, and was a retired Railroad guy. He was on the Erie-Lakawanna. The one thing that scares me about taking my dad back there is our beautiful house has fallen on hard times. It might break my dad's heart to see it now after he took such good care of it for 36 years. But I'm thankful he is still sharp in the head. I moved him in with me during the virus.

Oh, so as not to detail the thread, I think Lafayette walks away with this one. I've watched them a few times this season. I've been impressed. There appears to be something special going on. Unlike how my Bulldogs are falling apart.

Omg! It is scary. My grandfather and clearly grandmother never returned. I first went back there June 1982 after coming back to Lafayette to hear the grad keynote speaker, Sen. Bill Bradley of NJ (yes the Knick guy). I ended up watching the Sixers blow out the Lakers that Sunday afternoon. LOL, didnt miss anything as I stayed over that night at the frat house I lived in and folks coming back from graduation said he was a terrible speaker. The next day went up to Layton wandered down a rise and found the foundations and the outdoor fireplace built out of Delaware River stones. It is still standing. Years later in 2005, took pictures in fall splendor of that fireplace with sun glinting off river and that was a well received Xmas gift for mom. Just was back in Oct 2022 and got more fall pics AND noted a stone fell out of the fireplace and gave that to her for Xmas! She wants it where her and dads ashes will be, Dad passed 2013. Anyways Chucks Car Wash in Newton, NJ will get some competiton from my firm, Spark Auto Wash as we are looking to build on Rt 206 north at Lowes. Thanks for your support Cid. I dont think we have ever played you folks. With 5 OOCs a great idea! I remember Marc Buoniconte's tragic play from reading about it in the Philly Inquirer way back the year after I graduated in 1984, a Bulldog he was. PS maybe take dad on a tour not going by house? But if I know him, lol, he will be like lets go by the house! Its only up the road! Bless him and the family!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 14th, 2023, 02:51 PM
Given the depths of despair in Birdland, I present the 25th anniversary of Lehigh's 31-7 win over Lafayette to a cap a perfect 11-0 regular season. The goal line stand followed by Jean's TD was awesome....

https://youtu.be/AVkOM3uR31g

gravalico
November 14th, 2023, 02:56 PM
Alright then...

https://youtu.be/miGm3rJKZEI?si=DBf8pIUrXQVM4W-J

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2023, 03:33 PM
Alright then...

Love this one better! Ross had 303 on the ground..how many through air?

gravalico
November 14th, 2023, 03:37 PM
Love this one better! Ross had 303 on the ground..how many through air?One thing I learned from that game is not even pin stripes can help Lehigh's awful uniforms.

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2023, 03:39 PM
Given the depths of despair in Birdland, I present the 25th anniversary of Lehigh's 31-7 win over Lafayette to a cap a perfect 11-0 regular season. The goal line stand followed by Jean's TD was awesome....

Who was Lehigh #11 as QB? I think he was only QB to wear 11 on LU? Damn cant recall name!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 14th, 2023, 03:42 PM
Alright then...

I expected better :D...

First, noone celebrates a 9 year anniversary. Secondly, outside of the game being played at Yankee Stadium that was nothing more than a unique celebration being interrupted by two losing teams headed nowhere.

A better response would have been to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the 2013 game. Lehigh was 8-2, ranked in the Top 20 basically all season and were rather heavy favorites. Then Coen opts against starting Shafnisky and Lafayette rolls at Goodman to "steal" the PL auto-bid. I know Lafayette beat Fordham, still that was a stunning result. Lehigh was coming off a very impressive win over Colgate in Hamilton.xrotatehx xdrunkyx

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2023, 03:44 PM
True story (of course from me!)..Here on Long Beach Island, NJ I saw on Memorial Day weekend a few years ago a dude playing catch (with football of course) on side street with Lehigh Football tshirt driving somewhere. I rolled back and said Im a Pard. He introduced himself as Jorge Portorreal. My next words to him: "You were a bitch!" And he laughed. I said we couldnt stop you dude!

gravalico
November 14th, 2023, 03:44 PM
I expected better :D...

First, noone celebrates a 9 year anniversary. Secondly, outside of the game being played at Yankee Stadium that was nothing more than a unique celebration being interrupted by two losing teams headed nowhere.

A better response would have been to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the 2013 game. Lehigh was 8-2, ranked in the Top 20 basically all season and were rather heavy favorites. Then Coen opts against starting Shafnisky and Lafayette rolls at Goodman to "steal" the PL auto-bid. I know Lafayette beat Fordham, still that was a stunning result. Lehigh was coming off a very impressive win over Colgate in Hamilton.Well, when you've seen the Empire State Building lit up in your team's colors, everything else pales in comparison.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 14th, 2023, 03:48 PM
Well, when you've seen the Empire State Building lit up in your team's colors, everything else pales in comparison.

They did it when SUNY-Cortland and Ithaca played there last season! While a cool experience, the game itself was meaningless.

gravalico
November 14th, 2023, 04:00 PM
They did it when SUNY-Cortland and Ithaca played there last season! While a cool experience, the game itself was meaningless.Particularly if you lost.

CHIP72
November 14th, 2023, 04:54 PM
A negative note about this game - from looking at the game notes for both Lafayette and Lehigh, it appears L-L 159 1) will not be televised on any TV stations/networks outside the Lehigh Valley and 2) even more surprisingly, will not be televised by WFMZ Channel 69, which typically carried the Lehigh TV broadcast. (It will be televised on various Astound/RCN Cable channels and WBPH Channel 60 in Bethlehem; all of these channels will televise the Lafayette broadcast.)

With the former, even living in the DC area there had always been a channel over the last 15 years, at least on Verizon FiOS, that televised this game (excluding 2020 for obvious reasons). Some years, especially when Fox College Sports channels still existed, I'd have a channel where I could watch the Lafayette broadcast and another channel where I could view the Lehigh broadcast.

Franks Tanks
November 14th, 2023, 05:59 PM
A negative note about this game - from looking at the game notes for both Lafayette and Lehigh, it appears L-L 159 1) will not be televised on any TV stations/networks outside the Lehigh Valley and 2) even more surprisingly, will not be televised by WFMZ Channel 69, which typically carried the Lehigh TV broadcast. (It will be televised on various Astound/RCN Cable channels and WBPH Channel 60 in Bethlehem; all of these channels will televise the Lafayette broadcast.)

With the former, even living in the DC area there had always been a channel over the last 15 years, at least on Verizon FiOS, that televised this game (excluding 2020 for obvious reasons). Some years, especially when Fox College Sports channels still existed, I'd have a channel where I could watch the Lafayette broadcast and another channel where I could view the Lehigh broadcast.

It’s all on ESPN + and streaming platforms. I think every single PL game was on ESPN + this fall.

gravalico
November 14th, 2023, 06:10 PM
It’s all on ESPN + and streaming platforms. I think every single PL game was on ESPN + this fall.This is where I watched all my games this year. Cast it up to the TV...awesome experience. Well worth the ten bucks a month for the football season.

ngineer
November 14th, 2023, 07:00 PM

I think next year's game is also in Goodman due to Laughyette's request to adjust schedule so The Game can be played at Fisher during the Leotard's 200th Anniversary.

ngineer
November 14th, 2023, 07:06 PM
Who was Lehigh #11 as QB? I think he was only QB to wear 11 on LU? Damn cant recall name!!

McQuilken also wore #11 for Lehigh during his varsity career (1971-73), frosh couldn't play in '70, or we likely would have won that one, too.

ngineer
November 14th, 2023, 07:12 PM
OK, now I'm ready for may annual Rivalry Salutation...

November 18, 2023...THAT TIME OF THE MONTH FOR THE PUSSIES TO BLEED!!!!xdrunkyxxslapfightxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxx hypedxxhypedxxhypedxxasswhipx

Franks Tanks
November 14th, 2023, 08:26 PM

Thanks for posting, but this makes me feel old.

Looking at some of the players on that Lafayette squad, hard to believe they went 3-8.

Tom Williams: Later transferred to PSU and got some starts at LB

Leonard Moore: He was a really good and criminally underrated RB. Lafayette was offensively challenged during his career, and his yards were very tough ones.

Damian Wroboleski: Very good center with many accolades. Currently the OL/AHC for JMU.

Jim Goff: Spent a few years with the NY Giants on the practice squad.

Phil Yarborough: Newly minted member of the Lafayette HOF, but just a sophomore here

John Green: Big and mean DT

The defense in general had a lot of really tough guys (but perhaps not extremely athletic)

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2023, 08:58 PM
That was the time of the study. Russo left in 1999. Lehigh was an 11-win team but we nearly pulled it off in Russo's last game.

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2023, 09:04 PM
Why Frank should have been fired, Part One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdwYd3_pbc

Why Frank should have been fired, Part Two, as if 1:30 mark doesn't give it away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h06_RCoM51o

gravalico
November 15th, 2023, 05:40 AM
Why Frank should have been fired, Part One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdwYd3_pbc

Why Frank should have been fired, Part Two, as if 1:30 mark doesn't give it away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h06_RCoM51oFellas, it's Lafayette Lehigh week. A time for smack talk, not picking apart losses of the past.

Incidentally, let me put in a word for Frank because he gets no respect on this board. He's a championship winning coach who had to navigate an idiot administration that utterly hated athletics. He recruited and coached some great players. Marsh, Kirchoff, Ohnegian and oh yeah, John Troxell (who loves and respects Frank). Most importantly a more invested, caring coach you're not going to find. It didn't end like he would have liked or deserved but he loves his players and this program. He's still hustling for Lafayette football. I saw it first hand this past weekend. He's a consummate professional who deserves to be remembered better. There... I'm done now. Back to our regularly scheduled program... LEHIGH BLOWS! GO PARDS!

gravalico
November 15th, 2023, 05:46 AM
By the way... Trox shared with me, completely unsolicited, how awesome President Hurd is. He says they take a walk around campus every Wednesday morning to get caught up and stay connected. A real "Ted Lasso" relationship. She's put the kibosh on "shared governance" with the rest of the administration much to their chagrin. She told John, "we're Divsion I and we're going to act like it and we're going to win". Can you imagine if Frank had that? She is determined to squash talk of Easton being only an hour and a half from Phiily and New York, opting instead to turn Easton into a bonafide college town. A draw all its own. Again I say, can you imagine?

NY Crusader 2010
November 15th, 2023, 06:04 AM
Pretty hard without Frank Tavani roaming the sidelines. In 2009, the Pards entered the game at 8-2 following a tough loss against HC for the league title. Lehigh was 3-7, but took LC to OT and won. LU followed that up with a 4 year run where they won all but 3 PL games, while LC began its decline under the Frankasaurus.

Lehigh also almost upset Holy Cross in 2009, with Dom Randolph completing a 4th and goal TD pass to Freddy Santana with just over a minute to go. Had Lehigh won that game, and all other results held, Lehigh wins the PL that year with a 5-6 overall record. In fact, even if HC had beaten Bucknell to end the season (we lost with the auto-bid already clinched), Lehigh still wins the league.

NY Crusader 2010
November 15th, 2023, 06:05 AM
Lafayette should win this game by 3 scores tomorrow.

Was Lehigh's second half offensive resurgence against Colgate, after being down 30-0, all with second stringers in the game? Or should we read into that at all?

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2023, 06:24 AM

WFMZ first live broadcast of the game was the 1981 classic. Chip is this first year 69 isnt broadcasting it? Did 69 have a contract ESPN had to honor and now take over all rights. My friend Elvis from Lafayette (yes hes still alive!) says that ESPN wont even allow fricking local radio broadcasts of PL games.

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2023, 06:27 AM
I think next year's game is also in Goodman due to Laughyette's request to adjust schedule so The Game can be played at Fisher during the Leotard's 200th Anniversary.

Thanks thats it. I remember hearing a lot about him my early years in 80s at LC. Apparently he was a very good QB

Franks Tanks
November 15th, 2023, 06:29 AM
By the way... Trox shared with me, completely unsolicited, how awesome President Hurd is. He says they take a walk around campus every Wednesday morning to get caught up and stay connected. A real "Ted Lasso" relationship. She's put the kibosh on "shared governance" with the rest of the administration much to their chagrin. She told John, "we're Divsion I and we're going to act like it and we're going to win". Can you imagine if Frank had that? She is determined to squash talk of Easton being only an hour and a half from Phiily and New York, opting instead to turn Easton into a bonafide college town. A draw all its own. Again I say, can you imagine?

I had a chance to find myself sort of part of a candid conversation with Bob Sell. I’m a nobody, it was just good fortune. Great things are happening at Lafayette with Hurd in charge.

Hurd is awesome. She loves football, and “gets” Lafayette is general. She also understands how to market and position the school, how to articulate what’s makes the school unique and attractive , and understands rankings are important for attracting students (others have ignored this completely).

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2023, 06:30 AM
That was the time of the study. Russo left in 1999. Lehigh was an 11-win team but we nearly pulled it off in Russo's last game.

I remember that 1999 final Russo game. He had only announced I believe Thursday before the game. I saw it in the Fridays Morning Call they gave away at Fairfield Inn in Allentown PA as I come up the afternoon before the game. What ever happened to that frosh QB that nearly pulled it off for Pards, Harry Armstrong?

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2023, 06:33 AM

Was Lehigh's second half offensive resurgence against Colgate, after being down 30-0, all with second stringers in the game? Or should we read into that at all?

Um 2010, did we move the game? I cant miss my 44th!!! LOLOL

Franks Tanks
November 15th, 2023, 06:36 AM

WFMZ first live broadcast of the game was the 1981 classic. Chip is this first year 69 isnt broadcasting it? Did 69 have a contract ESPN had to honor and now take over all rights. My friend Elvis from Lafayette (yes hes still alive!) says that ESPN wont even allow fricking local radio broadcasts of PL games.

Channel 69 always did a simulcast of the Lehigh/service electric feed. Either ESPN is restricting broadcast rites, or service electric is no longer allowing the simulcast. It could be the latter as the games are broadcast on a channel only available to service electric subscribers. Service electric is losing tons of cable subscribers and may be getting very restrictive with content. 69 is an over the air station. Also, half of 69’s programming is horrible syndicated TV like Judge Judy, so they’d probably love to broadcast the game if allowed.

ElCid
November 15th, 2023, 06:39 AM

We have a network, NEXSTAR, that broadcast a game each week in SC, NC, VA, and I think GA. They were run concurrently on ESPN+. I think it depends on the conference contract with ESPN.

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2023, 06:49 AM
We have a network, NEXSTAR, that broadcast a game each week in SC, NC, VA, and I think GA. They were run concurrently on ESPN+. I think it depends on the conference contract with ESPN.
Cid, how did you watch the Lafayette games you saw this year on ESPN+?

ElCid
November 15th, 2023, 07:58 AM
Cid, how did you watch the Lafayette games you saw this year on ESPN+?

Yup. I get it for Sept, Oct, and Nov and then canx it. I usually watch a few of the NE teams with my dad because he enjoys remembering a lot of the teams. I get to see some of the plains and west coast teams as well. Too bad I can't watch the CAA unless it's an OOC. Lol. I'm forever flipping between games.

Pard4Life
November 15th, 2023, 09:14 AM
I remember that 1999 final Russo game. He had only announced I believe Thursday before the game. I saw it in the Fridays Morning Call they gave away at Fairfield Inn in Allentown PA as I come up the afternoon before the game. What ever happened to that frosh QB that nearly pulled it off for Pards, Harry Armstrong?

Marco Glavic happened.

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2023, 10:06 AM
Marco Glavic happened.
The Canadian!!

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2023, 10:10 AM
Prob among the losses I have witnessed in this series the 2009 double OT loss was the worst. I had my former roomate get SRO tickets for us..We were on the grassy knoll. Damn if that kid, was it Rudolph? was wide open in end zone on that interception. WIDE OPEN! Years later I bumped into Rob Curley at a Wawa and asked him about it. He said his foot slipped as he was making pass so trajectory was down and intercepted.

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2023, 10:12 AM
Of course best win was #150. Close 2nd was the come from nowhere "the Hurt" in 2005, 10 years after the catch in the gloom. Is that what LUers call that Klingerman catch?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2023, 10:27 AM
Of course best win was #150. Close 2nd was the come from nowhere "the Hurt" in 2005, 10 years after the catch in the gloom. Is that what LUers call that Klingerman catch?

I am curious as to why #150 is deemed the best win?

I ask given the quality of the two teams and the actual stakes of the game relative to the prior years. I understand the location but honestly, I don't believe Yankee Stadium was either a great venue for college football or all that unique (basically no historical significance like the original one) given the fact Fordham/Holy Cross played there, Ithaca/Cortland played there, Syracuse/Notre Dame, Syracuse/Pitt just played there this past week, the Pinstripe Bowl is played there every year etc.

From a Lafayette perspective 2013, 2006, 2005 and 2002 seem far more satisfying/exciting. Heck, even watching local legend Erik Marsh, in his final game, run all over Lehigh to clinch the 1994 PL Title, on their home field seems "better". At least the 'Pards had something to show for their losing record (even lost to East Stroudsburg) that year :D.

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2023, 11:55 AM
I am curious as to why #150 is deemed the best win?

I ask given the quality of the two teams and the actual stakes of the game relative to the prior years. I understand the location but honestly, I don't believe Yankee Stadium was either a great venue for college football or all that unique (basically no historical significance like the original one) given the fact Fordham/Holy Cross played there, Ithaca/Cortland played there, Syracuse/Notre Dame, Syracuse/Pitt just played there this past week, the Pinstripe Bowl is played there every year etc.

From a Lafayette perspective 2013, 2006, 2005 and 2002 seem far more satisfying/exciting. Heck, even watching local legend Erik Marsh, in his final game, run all over Lehigh to clinch the 1994 PL Title, on their home field seems "better". At least the 'Pards had something to show for their losing record (even lost to East Stroudsburg) that year :D.

I guess for the venue and the national attention. I agree with others, you point out the 2005 "Hurt" and 2013 was a runaway upset a week after we upset #5 Fordham. 2002 broke the Dark Years and 1994 was a mild upset. It was also a blowout. And the Mountain Hawk was introduced that day. That was the official renaming to Mountain Hawks. Anyways, that game also famous for the Leopard, this year FINALLY getting a name, Roary, engaging in fisticuffs with Lehigh fans on our side. 2006 was when we jumped out to a 28-0 lead, Lehigh came roaring back but missed the XP so trailed 28-27 and then we wheeled off the rest of the points in that game. That one was weird.

CHIP72
November 15th, 2023, 12:13 PM
Channel 69 always did a simulcast of the Lehigh/service electric feed. Either ESPN is restricting broadcast rites, or service electric is no longer allowing the simulcast. It could be the latter as the games are broadcast on a channel only available to service electric subscribers. Service electric is losing tons of cable subscribers and may be getting very restrictive with content. 69 is an over the air station. Also, half of 69’s programming is horrible syndicated TV like Judge Judy, so they’d probably love to broadcast the game if allowed.

I believe Service Electric did not televise Lehigh home football games this season, based on what I saw when I checked Lehigh’s game notes from home games earlier in the season 1-2 days ago. (Because I no longer live in the area and my family still living in the Lehigh Valley doesn’t/has never had Service Electric, I didn’t previously notice it wasn’t listed in the broadcast section of the LU game notes.) Service Electric is still broadcasting some other Lehigh University sports events.

Shifting to Lafayette, in recent years MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network), which focuses on Washington and Baltimore area sports (baseball in particular) and has a coverage area from south central PA to North Carolina, would sometimes pick up the Lafayette Sports Network broadcasts of Lafayette football games. (Other regional sports networks in places like Philadelphia, New York, Chicago, and the San Francisco Bay Area, would also do so occasionally.) However, this season MASN did not televise any Lafayette games, and IIRC based on when I looked at the LC game notes during the season none of the other regional sports networks in the markets listed above (except possibly Philadelphia) did so either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ngineer
November 15th, 2023, 08:13 PM
As much as we all want to see a 50 point LC win, I think this is going to be a competitive game. The X factor may be if Trox has this group so focused and motivated that they just blow Lehigh off the line and dominate the game. Cannot say what the current mental state and focus is of Lehigh, but I have to believe our guys are motivated and focused. I do not think they will be tense - they won this game last year.

Not really. We gift wrapped it for the 'pards. I expect the Hawks to be fired up to end the season on a high note, but moreover, just getting the satisfaction of denying Laughyette the championship should be a spark. Cahill's first Rivalry game, but he's experienced Harvard-Yale for about 12 years and may have a trick or two up his sleeve. Actually, I am glad to see the 'pards finally see some success. Hopefully, we have the boat turned around in a year or so, so we can this Game be the championship game for both. That will bring the intensity and the fans back. Was so disappointed at the "crowd" last year. The worst in my 53 games....

ngineer
November 15th, 2023, 08:31 PM

If I was a betting persons, I would say Laughyette should be a 17 point favorite. However,....Last week's game on the tundra was a classic example of a young team not being 'resilient' when adversity occurred. With 'gate leading 3-0, Lehigh drove the length of the field and had first and goal inside the 10. A couple short runs and pass for a TD, that we saw as a TD, but refs called incomplete. Went to fourth and 1 and we didn't get in. You could feel the air going out of the balloon. 16-0 at the half. Second half was a bunch of penalties and self-inflicted wounds ending up late in the third with Silbor leaving with a leg injury. Senior back up Perri comes in and after a shaky first possession, he found his rhythm and started hitting his targets, along with a 50 yard TD burst up the middle. We had a couple 50/50 balls where another could scores would have occurred. So the team had a mental letdown halfway through and then with the change of QB's found it's stride. This game will depend on the mental readiness to accept the challenge. The team that played Fordham and Holy Cross will give the 'pards all they can handle. The team the played at Colgate will get blown out. For a 'storybook' ending, Perri going out with a tremendous upset and avenging last year's debacle would be sweet. It can happen...I just wouldn't 'bet the ranch on it."

ngineer
November 15th, 2023, 09:39 PM
Not really. We gift wrapped it for the 'pards. I expect the Hawks to be fired up to end the season on a high note, but moreover, just getting the satisfaction of denying Laughyette the championship should be a spark. Cahill's first Rivalry game, but he's experienced Harvard-Yale for about 12 years and may have a trick or two up his sleeve. Actually, I am glad to see the 'pards finally see some success. Hopefully, we have the boat turned around in a year or so, so we can this Game be the championship game for both. That will bring the intensity and the fans back. Was so disappointed at the "crowd" last year. The worst in my 53 games....

This will be my 53rd Rivalry game. Anyone here with more?? My first was 1970 when Laughyette jumped out to a 21-0 lead. We rallied and tied the game at 28. 'pards got ball late in the fourth and drove into Lehigh territory late in the game and tried a 45 yard FG, missing. However, Lehigh DE jumped offside giving 'pards a first down. They moved the ball another 8 yards and kicked with game winner as time expired. The following year we began our exit from "The Desert" after ten years of losing seasons and went 7-4. It took Fred Dunlap 7 years to get his first winning season in 1971, but he created a great foundation for the coming decades. Personally,, my class never lost to Laughyette. Our freshman team (frosh couldn't play varsity back then) beat the 'pards in the "natural bowl" at Lehigh, and then won the next three.

gravalico
November 16th, 2023, 05:31 AM
[/B]
This will be my 53rd Rivalry game. Anyone here with more?? My first was 1970 when Laughyette jumped out to a 21-0 lead. We rallied and tied the game at 28. 'pards got ball late in the fourth and drove into Lehigh territory late in the game and tried a 45 yard FG, missing. However, Lehigh DE jumped offside giving 'pards a first down. They moved the ball another 8 yards and kicked with game winner as time expired. The following year we began our exit from "The Desert" after ten years of losing seasons and went 7-4. It took Fred Dunlap 7 years to get his first winning season in 1971, but he created a great foundation for the coming decades. Personally,, my class never lost to Laughyette. Our freshman team (frosh couldn't play varsity back then) beat the 'pards in the "natural bowl" at Lehigh, and then won the next three.Your memory is amazing. Many people on this board have incredible recall. I only remember the big plays throughout the years. And pretty much only on the Lafayette side. To be able to recall "they gained an additional 8 yards" from some play in some game in the seventies is remarkable.

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2023, 07:32 AM
[/B]
This will be my 53rd Rivalry game. Anyone here with more?? My first was 1970 when Laughyette jumped out to a 21-0 lead. We rallied and tied the game at 28. 'pards got ball late in the fourth and drove into Lehigh territory late in the game and tried a 45 yard FG, missing. However, Lehigh DE jumped offside giving 'pards a first down. They moved the ball another 8 yards and kicked with game winner as time expired. The following year we began our exit from "The Desert" after ten years of losing seasons and went 7-4. It took Fred Dunlap 7 years to get his first winning season in 1971, but he created a great foundation for the coming decades. Personally,, my class never lost to Laughyette. Our freshman team (frosh couldn't play varsity back then) beat the 'pards in the "natural bowl" at Lehigh, and then won the next three.
Im only at 44.. Remember when they saluted 50 gamers in the Rivalrys program? I always expect a hard fought game from Lehigh. Ngineer you and I should have a few cold ones to celebrate our combined ALMOST (getting there) 100 years combined sir. As the junior in this, drinks on me!! GO LEOPARDS!!

Gate83
November 16th, 2023, 03:57 PM
If I was a betting persons, I would say Laughyette should be a 17 point favorite. However,....Last week's game on the tundra was a classic example of a young team not being 'resilient' when adversity occurred. With 'gate leading 3-0, Lehigh drove the length of the field and had first and goal inside the 10. A couple short runs and pass for a TD, that we saw as a TD, but refs called incomplete. Went to fourth and 1 and we didn't get in. You could feel the air going out of the balloon. 16-0 at the half. Second half was a bunch of penalties and self-inflicted wounds ending up late in the third with Silbor leaving with a leg injury. Senior back up Perri comes in and after a shaky first possession, he found his rhythm and started hitting his targets, along with a 50 yard TD burst up the middle. We had a couple 50/50 balls where another could scores would have occurred. So the team had a mental letdown halfway through and then with the change of QB's found it's stride. This game will depend on the mental readiness to accept the challenge. The team that played Fordham and Holy Cross will give the 'pards all they can handle. The team the played at Colgate will get blown out. For a 'storybook' ending, Perri going out with a tremendous upset and avenging last year's debacle would be sweet. It can happen...I just wouldn't 'bet the ranch on it."

Don't mean to intrude on the L/L discussion, but I was in the end zone hospitality tent & the pass in the end zone was right in front of us. We clearly saw the ball on the ground underneath the receiver from our angle, officials got that one right.

Back to your regular programming, I'll keep on eye on your game from the "tundra!"

ngineer
November 16th, 2023, 10:12 PM
Don't mean to intrude on the L/L discussion, but I was in the end zone hospitality tent & the pass in the end zone was right in front of us. We clearly saw the ball on the ground underneath the receiver from our angle, officials got that one right.

Back to your regular programming, I'll keep on eye on your game from the "tundra!"

I will grant it was a close call. From our angle it appeared the receiver had his forearm under the ball, but will give the benefit of the doubt to the official who was closer. We had two other drops later in the game, one which would have been a TD and the other setting us up with a nice long gain around the 'gate 20. Our bane of our season has been failure to execute on big plays. Hopefully, lessons learned. It has been said one learns more from losing than winning. If true, our guys should have collected a good number of credits this year!

ngineer
November 16th, 2023, 10:20 PM
Im only at 44.. Remember when they saluted 50 gamers in the Rivalrys program? I always expect a hard fought game from Lehigh. Ngineer you and I should have a few cold ones to celebrate our combined ALMOST (getting there) 100 years combined sir. As the junior in this, drinks on me!! GO LEOPARDS!!

Accepted! Are you local (in the 'valley'?) GO LEHIGH!! Oh, I see below your avatar "South Jersey" next to the drool...Well, I rarely get to that area anymore. If into collegiate wrestling, and want to see a match, I have season tickets and you can have one we have a 'cold one' afterward.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2023, 11:37 PM
Does anyone know what was the first year the rivalry was broadcasted live? The lack of Lehigh/Lafayette content on Youtube made me crave for some sort of archived library of games. If nothing else, it should be "reasonable" to round up all the games from the late 1970s, early 1980s onward? The 1987 game was uploaded in its entirety on Youtube probably 5-6 years ago but has since been taken down.

DFW HOYA
November 17th, 2023, 12:41 AM
Does anyone know what was the first year the rivalry was broadcasted live? The lack of Lehigh/Lafayette content on Youtube made me crave for some sort of archived library of games. If nothing else, it should be "reasonable" to round up all the games from the late 1970s, early 1980s onward? The 1987 game was uploaded in its entirety on Youtube probably 5-6 years ago but has since been taken down.

Given the importance to both schools this seems like a project that could be coordinated between the archives of both schools and local media.

Pards Rule
November 17th, 2023, 05:57 AM
Accepted! Are you local (in the 'valley'?) GO LEHIGH!! Oh, I see below your avatar "South Jersey" next to the drool...Well, I rarely get to that area anymore. If into collegiate wrestling, and want to see a match, I have season tickets and you can have one we have a 'cold one' afterward.

Sent you a DM Ngineer with my cell. May we finally meet!

Pards Rule
November 17th, 2023, 05:59 AM

Absolutely Owl, remember it well. It was a wise (boo, hiss, that was bad) choice of first live game - the famous 1981 contest. I also recall that year and years after WFMZ 69 would show the game in re runs that evening after game and again on Sunday morning.

Southsider
November 17th, 2023, 06:44 PM
For you locals, Northwestern crushing Palmerton (Mihalich) 30-0 early 2nd

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2023, 07:48 PM

You'd have to consult the book written on the subject. I think the 100th game was televised live. There is ample content from the digital era but not much before 2008. The 1981 game is posted in parts on YT.

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2023, 07:54 PM
Weather tomorrow looks like as beautiful as possible for this time of year: 50 at KO, sunny, and 48 by end of game. It looks to be a little windy but probably not enough to impact a passing game. May be a bit chilly by the end. Poor Engineers... sitting in the shade, while the Pards get to sunbathe. There will be rain this evening from 10PM - 2AM, looks like moderate rain. Has been dry lately so field hopefully absorbs it quickly. Either way... sunny and windy by sunrise.

Pards Rule
November 17th, 2023, 08:19 PM
So if I wanted ot eat and drink after game in Bethlehem, where would you recommend?

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2023, 09:24 PM
So if I wanted ot eat and drink after game in Bethlehem, where would you recommend?

Make your way to 378 North, to Route 22 East, for about 10 miles, last exit in PA... xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2023, 11:37 PM

Social Still or Zest. The Nest for more casual/bar food. Lots of more niche/ethic places if you have a particular interest.

Pards Rule
November 18th, 2023, 07:37 AM
Thanks Franks...Im heading out now! Pards win but tough battle I predict..Ngineer sent you PM with my cell number!

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2023, 09:03 AM
Is a sellout expected?

Bill
November 18th, 2023, 09:43 AM
If I had a good Spanish Inquisition joke here I would use it.

But no, I don't think so.

IslandPard
November 18th, 2023, 09:44 AM
Is a sellout expected?

Don't think so. Both schools were still advertising tickets this week.

Enjoy the game (even though it's in enemy territory). I'll be in my basement enjoying the game. Breaks my heart that I'm gonna miss those epic bathrooms at Badman "stadium".

caribbeanhen
November 18th, 2023, 09:48 AM

Enjoy the game (even though it's in enemy territory). I'll be in my basement enjoying the game. Breaks my heart that I'm gonna miss those epic bathrooms at Badman "stadium".

Mantauk

Be safe out on the water

crusader11
November 18th, 2023, 09:53 AM
Lehigh +10.5

Feels about right.

Engineers have a puncher’s chance today (at least I’ll convince myself they do).

You wonder if this is a close game in the second half, Lafayette feels that pressure. Lot at stake beyond just beating Lehigh.

Both a PL Championship and auto bid to the playoffs.

Lose? Both likely go away.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 10:56 AM
Present in Section EP20!

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 10:57 AM

A friend and I bought 2 tickets at the stadium box office this morning at about 11:15 AM.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2023, 11:01 AM
Wish I could be there. Go Pards!

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 11:05 AM
My view:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231118/a0ddd04f08d9bd2207c0c66dc13011cd.jpg

Late arriving crowd, still mostly tailgating.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 11:08 AM
Leopards convert a 4th and goal at the 2 yard for a touchdown!

Lafayette leads 7-0 with 10:58 left in the 1st quarter.

IslandPard
November 18th, 2023, 11:11 AM
That jumbotron looks like my first big screen rear projection TV from the late 90s! xlolx

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 11:11 AM
Good opening drive by Lafayette, take the opening kickoff and go 75 yards. The big play was the very first play from scrimmage, a 35+ yard pass and run.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 11:24 AM
TD Lehigh after a grinding drive!

7-7 5:03 1Q

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 11:24 AM
Strong response by the Mountain Hawks to the LC touchdown as the hosts put together a 75 yard TD drive on their first possession to tie the game.

It’s 7-7 with 5:03 left in the 1st quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 11:35 AM
I think Lehigh was just gifted a first down to keep a drive going...

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 11:41 AM
I think Lehigh was just gifted a first down to keep a drive going...

Yeah, it looked like he was a yard short.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 11:44 AM
Two possessions, two touchdowns for Lehigh. The Mountain Hawks take the lead.

Lehigh 14 Lafayette 7 with 13:19 left in the 2nd quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 11:45 AM
TD Lehigh! They took advantage of the friendly spot...

Lehigh 14-7 13:19 2Q

IslandPard
November 18th, 2023, 11:55 AM
I don't like this!

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 11:58 AM
Lafayette with a big strip sack/fumble recovery to get the ball inside the LU 20 yard line!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 11:58 AM
Pards with a strip sack deep in Lehigh territory. Great chance to tie it up....

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 12:06 PM
Lafayette takes advantage of the short field to tie the game.

It’s 14-14 with 6:41 left in the 2nd quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 12:18 PM
Lehigh converts a 4th and 3 to keep the drive going then hit a big run to the Pard 1...

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 12:20 PM
Lehigh puts together their third long touchdown drive of the day to reclaim the lead.

Lehigh leads 21-14 with 2:15 left in the 2nd quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 12:20 PM
TD Lehigh! Great drive!

Hawks 21-14 2:15 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 12:22 PM
Lehigh puts together their third long touchdown drive of the day to reclaim the lead.

Lehigh leads 21-14 with 2:15 left in the 2nd quarter.

Lehigh OL is playing really well. Thankfully, #70 looks to be in good shape after getting rolled up on...

crusader11
November 18th, 2023, 12:24 PM
Let's take this 21-14 lead going into the half.

Then Lehigh gets the ball to start the second.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 12:27 PM
For the second time, Lehigh just missed an INT. The latest one could have been a pick 6....

IslandPard
November 18th, 2023, 12:28 PM
We look confused on both O and D.

crusader11
November 18th, 2023, 12:29 PM
30 more minutes for Lehigh to f**** up Lafayette's season!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 12:30 PM
Lehigh 21 Lafayette 14 Half

Hawks outplayed the Pards for the better part of 30 minutes. No fluke so far outside of that generous spot on 3rd down. With that said, Lehigh fans have seen this script before. Perhaps the ending will be different?

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 12:32 PM
Lehigh receives the 2nd half kickoff. I think that LU possession will be critical for the Lafayette defense; they haven’t really stopped the Mountain Hawks offense today. LC doesn’t want to fall behind by multiple scores.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 12:54 PM
Lafayette with the INT to snuff out LU’s first drive of the 2nd half. The Leopards take over on the LU 46 yard line.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 12:55 PM
Lehigh with turnover #2....ugh. This why they are 2-8....

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 12:56 PM
Updated view from the late 2nd quarter:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231118/174bcdfc23c7f5bd6974780b2bcf625a.jpg

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 12:57 PM
Lafayette takes advantage of the short field after the interception to tie the game for a third time.

It’s 21 all with 11:19 left in the 3rd quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 12:57 PM
TD pards! That's two TDs off of two LU turnovers...

21-21 11:19 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 01:12 PM
Lafayette figuring out Lehigh can't stop the pass....

crusader11
November 18th, 2023, 01:14 PM
Unraveling. What an awful ten minutes for Lehigh.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 01:14 PM
Lafayette taking control of the game, they score to reclaim the lead.

Lafayette 28 Lehigh 21 with 4:46 remaining in the 3rd quarter.

Very entertaining game so far.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 01:15 PM
Lafayette taking control of the game, they score to reclaim the lead.

Lafayette 28 Lehigh 21 with 4:46 remaining in the 3rd quarter.

Very entertaining game so far.

As Yogi would say, "It's getting late early for Lehigh". The offense needs to respond...

RichH2
November 18th, 2023, 01:23 PM
Arrgghh. Ugly meltdown by Lehigh. TOs and mistakes. We've seen what Lehigh can do and also why it loses winnable games.

crusader11
November 18th, 2023, 01:25 PM
What kind of defense is Lehigh playing? Absolutely zero situational awareness relative to down and distance.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 01:27 PM
What kind of defense is Lehigh playing? Absolutely zero situational awareness relative to down and distance.

They prefer to play 10 yards off regardless of the circumstances. The conviction is real....

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 01:31 PM
Lehigh really needs a stop here to stay in the game.

crusader11
November 18th, 2023, 01:32 PM
Not going for it on 4th and 2 from near midfield was also highly questionable by Cahill.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 01:33 PM
Lafayette controlling the 2nd half, they score again to take the first multi-score lead of the game by either team.

The Leopards lead the Mountain Hawks 35-21 with 12:31 left in regulation.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 01:34 PM
TD 'Pards! Clear single coverage up top ends in an easy pitch and catch. That should just about wrap up the title. Lehigh's pass defense is terrible...

Pards 35-21 12:31 4Q

Lehigh'98
November 18th, 2023, 01:35 PM
Congrats Pards. Better team top to bottom.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 01:35 PM
Not going for it on 4th and 2 from near midfield was also highly questionable by Cahill.

Yeah, I think Lehigh needed to go for it there.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 01:37 PM
Now Lehigh fumbles the ensuing kickoff with LC recovering.

If Lafayette scores a touchdown here, I think the fat lady will start warming up.

crusader11
November 18th, 2023, 01:39 PM
Lehigh going through the motions now.

Seemed like after Lafayette went up 28-21, they packed it in.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 01:41 PM
TD 'Pards! What a great job by the Lafayette staff in the second half! Complete domination. Lehigh's sideline had no answer...

Lafayette 42-21 10:48

CHIP72
Lafayette with their 6th touchdown of the game, they are in total control. They’ve outscored Lehigh 28-0 in the 2nd half.

Lafayette 42 Lehigh 21

Q4 10:48

Go Lehigh TU owl
Lehigh going through the motions now.

Seemed like after Lafayette went up 28-21, they packed it in.

Similar to last week. Today it just took a little longer...

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 01:43 PM
Turnovers are a big story in this game; they initially kept Lafayette in the game and then helped the Leopards take control of the game.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 01:46 PM
Official attendance: 14,453

crusader11
November 18th, 2023, 01:47 PM
Cahill calls the game like it’s 2005 before coaches realized that you don’t have to auto punt when it’s 4th down.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2023, 01:51 PM
Lafayette pouring it on, they score on a long touchdown run.

Lafayette 49 Lehigh 21

Q4 7:05

The fat lady is officially singing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 01:53 PM
TD Lafayette!!

Pards 49-21 7:01 4Q....the old "Spurrier Special" aka "half-a-hundred" is still very much in play....

RichH2
November 18th, 2023, 02:03 PM
Congrats to Pards. A dominant W and PL title.

Dunno how to even describe Lehigh"s 2nd half. Atrocious.

Cahill best get an outstanding recruit class.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2023, 02:06 PM
Lafayette takes a knee on the Lehigh 5 to avoid the Ol' Half-a-hundred....

Lafayette 49 Lehigh 21 Final

What an ugly first year for Cahill. A legit case could be made Lehigh, at the very least, was "just as bad" last year. Meanwhile, Troxell and the 'Pards win the title in year two and I don't see that train stopping anytime soon. Especially if Chesney bolts....

IslandPard
November 18th, 2023, 02:47 PM
No offense, but you were just out gunned at every position. We could have put up 60+ if we weren't sleep walking in the first half.

leopardball2010
November 18th, 2023, 05:04 PM
I had a great time at the game today. It was awesome to see some teammates who haven't been to a game in a long time either. Watching the trophy ceremony on the field brought back a lot of really awesome memories. Great to shake some hands, see Coach T and congratulate Troxell.

Awesome win, The boys played hard. Now to see who we get tomorrow.

gravalico
November 18th, 2023, 05:09 PM
I had a great time at the game today. It was awesome to see some teammates who haven't been to a game in a long time either. Watching the trophy ceremony on the field brought back a lot of really awesome memories. Great to shake some hands, see Coach T and congratulate Troxell.

Awesome win, The boys played hard. Now to see who we get tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TapatalkSo much fun. Got to be Nova, DE or Albany. Any of whom would be a huge challenge. But this team is not afraid of a challenge! If it is Albany I'm road tripping!

Pards Rule
November 18th, 2023, 06:23 PM
Grav, Im road tripping anywhere! Great game for my 44th Lehigh game. Was seated near to Curtis dad and we got to know one another meeting at parents tailgates at away games (lol even though im not a parent I get invited!). LOL at one point when things werent going well and Curtis was stopped I think a yard short of scrimmage, his dad yells "you got to get upfield, SHORTY!"..Lafayette 2nd half yardage 332 to Lehigh 57. Exactly a few seconds before the last TD by Curtis I turned to my former roomate Phil Hosbach and asked him how many yards do you think Curtis has..100? He said probably about that. I said time for him to reel one off...there you go called it! I would have given co-MVPS to DeNobile and Curtis. Loved going out on field and talking to folks, including John (Leone) and John (Troxell) after game. I saw Lehigh frosh #5 after game going into Copperfields on Airport Road and good naturedly tried to get him to go portal. He told me it was a tough decision between Lehigh and Lafayette as Troxell recruited him hard. Ultimately he siad it came down to..he thought he could get a tad better education at Bethlehem. Adrian was his name, good kid.

Southsider
November 18th, 2023, 06:52 PM
Both LU coordinators need to go. Horrible on both sides of the ball. Oh, throw Sterrett in there too. This season has worn me out! Things need to change!!!

gravalico
November 18th, 2023, 07:05 PM
Both LU coordinators need to go. Horrible on both sides of the ball. Oh, throw Sterrett in there too. This season has worn me out! Things need to change!!!As much as I'm dying to point out that things did just change for Lehigh, I would suggest you give your new guy another year to sort things out before you clean house again. He had a few things going on today for a while.

ngineer
November 18th, 2023, 11:37 PM
Was just able to get on the Board after a long day with my football brothers, fraternity brothers and classmates of 50+ years. Had a great dinner after game with Coach Dunlap and our 1973 Lambert Cup team. Kudos to the Leopards on showing how a champion responds when getting shocked and facing some unexpected adversity. As per the season our weakness in the secondary was the Achilles in conjunction with the turnovers. We all knew going in that the secondary would be an issue with mostly first year players. No question we need a good recruiting season, but I speaking with our players and their parents, they have responded well to Cahill and his approach. This will likely take a couple more years to be in a position to challenge for a league title, as this situation started in the last two years of Coen’s tenure. It was exacerbated by the Gilmore hiring and pandemic. Coach Dunlap, now 95 years young, saw this similar situation in 1965, and it took him 7 seasons to get the full foundation done, but which got us started on a decades run of success. I don’t think our situation is as bad as 1965 (1963-1969 being known as “The Desert Years”), and expect noticeable improvement over the next two seasons. Good luck to the ‘pards next week! Do the Patriot League proud!

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2023, 06:00 AM
Was just able to get on the Board after a long day with my football brothers, fraternity brothers and classmates of 50+ years. Had a great dinner after game with Coach Dunlap and our 1973 Lambert Cup team. Kudos to the Leopards on showing how a champion responds when getting shocked and facing some unexpected adversity. As per the season our weakness in the secondary was the Achilles in conjunction with the turnovers. We all knew going in that the secondary would be an issue with mostly first year players. No question we need a good recruiting season, but I speaking with our players and their parents, they have responded well to Cahill and his approach. This will likely take a couple more years to be in a position to challenge for a league title, as this situation started in the last two years of Coen’s tenure. It was exacerbated by the Gilmore hiring and pandemic. Coach Dunlap, now 95 years young, saw this similar situation in 1965, and it took him 7 seasons to get the full foundation done, but which got us started on a decades run of success. I don’t think our situation is as bad as 1965 (1963-1969 being known as “The Desert Years”), and expect noticeable improvement over the next two seasons. Good luck to the ‘pards next week! Do the Patriot League proud!

Thanks sir! I gave hearty applause to that 73 team when they were recognized on the field. Humorous note, I went ot Copperhead Grill on Airport Rd after game, meeting my former roommate and his Lehigh grad son. Bumped into frosh Lehigh player #5 and his family. His name is Aidan. Anyways I said his number was the same as that killer receiver Jorge Portorreal and Aiden mentioned coach told him about his predecessor in number. He said he had tough choice between schools as Troxell recruited him hard. Slight edge he gave to Lehigh on the better array of academics. At the end I said (a la The Graduate movie, ironically): Aidan, I have one word for you: PORTAL.

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2023, 08:11 AM
Thought not a sellout, it felt like there were more people on had than in previous years - outer parking lots were full and the corners of the visitor stands were nearly full. The wonderful weather also helped. Credit to the Lafayette coaches: they made a huge adjustment after halftime. Defense played more man coverage (probably why White was on his man and jumped the route) and our offense went back to the strategy employed on the first drive: use the middle of the field, spread the field, wide receiver sets... this opened up the middle for Curtis to run more effectively. That bubble screen stuff and between the tackles just does not work effectively. Lehigh did not look like a 2-win team and indeed this was a more competitive game than anticipated. Our pass defense still concerns me - not sure what the solution is there. Questionable PI calls kept Lehigh drives alive or else this may have been worse. This game was also the reverse of 2012: when the Pards led at half and a 'better' Lehigh team dominated the second half.

Probably the most satisfying Lehigh win since Yankee Stadium and most explosive since 2013.

caribbeanhen
November 19th, 2023, 09:19 AM
If Delaware plays Laffy, long day for da Hens

leopardball2010
November 19th, 2023, 10:12 AM
Credit to the Lafayette coaches: they made a huge adjustment after halftime. Defense played more man coverage (probably why White was on his man and jumped the route) and our offense went back to the strategy employed on the first drive: use the middle of the field, spread the field, wide receiver sets...

Probably the most satisfying Lehigh win since Yankee Stadium and most explosive since 2013.

Agree on the adjustments! I got to talk to coach Saint after the game, the defense played well. I think their general philosophy is a bend-but-dont-break style which they accomplished in the second half. They did play some man, but it was a lot of match-up zone. The interception was a disguised blitz with what looked like a roll-3 behind it but that was just on first looks, no film breakdown.

It was my first game in person in 10 years. It was fun to see a lot of the guys from the 2013 team there. And a few guys from the '09 team.

gravalico
November 19th, 2023, 10:24 AM
Agree on the adjustments! I got to talk to coach Saint after the game, the defense played well. I think their general philosophy is a bend-but-dont-break style which they accomplished in the second half. They did play some man, but it was a lot of match-up zone. The interception was a disguised blitz with what looked like a roll-3 behind it but that was just on first looks, no film breakdown.

It was my first game in person in 10 years. It was fun to see a lot of the guys from the 2013 team there. And a few guys from the '09 team.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TapatalkSo much fun going back now.

leopardball2010
November 19th, 2023, 11:00 AM
If Delaware plays Laffy, long day for da HensMost mocks I've seen has Laf headed to Delaware. And I'd like to think the Leopards have a great chance to make some noise.

A few do have us headed down to Richmond with Duquesne headed to Delaware. But that requires both Nova and UAlbany to be seeded

gravalico
November 19th, 2023, 11:03 AM
Most mocks I've seen has Laf headed to Delaware. And I'd like to think the Leopards have a great chance to make some noise.

A few do have us headed down to Richmond with Duquesne headed to Delaware. But that requires both Nova and UAlbany to be seeded

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TapatalkI saw one that said Mercer. Seems a long way to go though for the first round though.

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2023, 11:19 AM
A poster on the Pard board who would know said we did submit a bid. We’ll find out soon.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2023, 11:25 AM
I saw one that said Mercer. Seems a long way to go though for the first round though.

I remember a few years ago (2019) Villanova had to play at Southeast Louisiana in the 1st round, which I thought was ridiculous considering the number of closer, potential opponents for the Wildcats that year.

I'd be surprised if Lafayette plays a team south of the Virginia/North Carolina line or possibly eastern Ohio (Youngstown State) in the 1st round, but stranger things have happened. (I expect Albany will get a seed and 1st round bye.)

leopardball2010
November 19th, 2023, 12:18 PM
A poster on the Pard board who would know said we did submit a bid. We’ll find out soon.I love that we did, would have been surprised to out bid the likes of deleware

Southsider
November 19th, 2023, 12:53 PM

ngineer, we have been hearing the same tune for years now. Give it a year or 2, we are young, better recruits, and on and on. Others have been getting it done. LU has not!