PDA

View Full Version : Richmond vs W&M

Sitting Bull
November 12th, 2023, 02:07 PM
The South’s oldest football rivalry renews on Saturday in Williamsburg. This will be the 134th meeting. The series is dead even at 64-64-5 ties.

This year will again include stakes on the line though likely not the one most would have thought 5 or 6 weeks ago. It’s Richmond coming in hot this year riding a 7 game win streak and a chance to tie for a CAA championship. The Tribe has dropped 4 of their last 6 games. W&M will likely be starting a new QB, Tyler Hughes, who helped engineer a 31-10 comeback win at Hampton yesterday,

Both sides point to some great games - many upsets along the way. My favorite is from 1974. Richmond hosted the game and came in an overwhelming favorite. W&M limped into the game 3-7 and the College had just completed a study whether to disband the football program to concentrate on basketball. The W&M BOV decisively ruled to support and reemphasise the football program and the team came out and just demolished Richmond 54-12.

caribbeanhen
November 12th, 2023, 08:00 PM
Tyler Hughes … London finally saw enough of the lefty I guess

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2023, 08:14 PM
My favorite is from 1974. Richmond hosted the game and came in an overwhelming favorite. W&M limped into the game 3-7 and the College had just completed a study whether to disband the football program to concentrate on basketball. The W&M BOV decisively ruled to support and reemphasize the football program and the team came out and just demolished Richmond 54-12.

What would have led to this? The Indians were coming off a 6-5 season in 1973.

SpiderJPO
November 12th, 2023, 08:56 PM
Looking forward to this rivalry game and expecting another battle between these teams. Last year the Tribe got it done on our home field to win a championship. Hoping the Spiders can turn the tables this year and finish with a share of the CAA Championship, the Capital Cup and a playoff bid.

Tribe4SF
November 13th, 2023, 04:12 AM
Tyler Hughes … London finally saw enough of the lefty I guess

Injury and did not play at Hampton. Both are capable.

MR. CHICKEN
November 13th, 2023, 07:31 AM
...DO YER DUTY TRIBE........STEP ON DUH ARACHNIDS........BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
November 13th, 2023, 07:37 AM
Injury and did not play at Hampton. Both are capable.

oh thanks! I didn’t know Wilson was hurt but he’s been around a long time. I have a pretty good idea all of what he brings and have actually defended him seeing many of your fans being critical of him. I don’t think he forgot how to play since last year, it’s more about William not having the playmakers at WR to help him.

The Cats
November 13th, 2023, 07:38 AM
Richmond wins

MR. CHICKEN
November 13th, 2023, 07:55 AM
Richmond wins

....DIS IS WHAA........YER IN....DUH CAA CELLAR.....xsighx.....BRAWK!

MRuler
November 13th, 2023, 08:23 AM
Wm & Mary and NOVA needs to win as well!! xsmiley_wix

KPSUL
November 13th, 2023, 09:11 AM
Richmond trending up, W&M Struggling for the last several weeks. So clearly, given the happenings in the bloated 15 team CAA this season, W&M wins by 14.

caribbeanhen
November 13th, 2023, 09:22 AM
Richmond trending up, W&M Struggling for the last several weeks. So clearly, given the happenings in the bloated 15 team CAA this season, W&M wins by 14.

this actually makes a lot sense

Sitting Bull
November 14th, 2023, 09:42 AM
W&Ms offensive line is going to decide the game, one way or another. They will need to protect the QB, regardless who plays. Still unclear but looks like Hughes again.

URs defense has been the spark in their winning streak. They have a great LB in Wheeler who I think made the key stop on 4th and 1 to win the 2021 game.

ncspiderfan
November 14th, 2023, 05:57 PM
W&Ms offensive line is going to decide the game, one way or another. They will need to protect the QB, regardless who plays. Still unclear but looks like Hughes again.

URs defense has been the spark in their winning streak. They have a great LB in Wheeler who I think made the key stop on 4th and 1 to win the 2021 game.

Good point about Spider defense Bull. They now are tied for FCS in defensive TDs with 5, 3rd in takeaways with 23 and 3rd in 3rd down conversion defense at 28.7% nationally in both those stats. Wheeler went over 100 tackles last week for his fourth straight year.

They did get Williams back at WR who was one of Udinski's big targets last year, been out all season until last week, but he is not listed on the two deep for this game and did not get hurt last week, so idk the status.

Starting QB can throw it some but runs like Yoder. He and the backup were out versus Hampton and Spiders started a walk on which did not work out well with the only first down in the first half being by penalty, defense just got worn out. They played the true freshman in the second half but too little too late and now they are in a must win situation. Ended up burning a freshman's redshirt until starter got healthy, and he is now the backup. Spiders right now are close to last year's team IMO excepting Udinki and Herres, just not getting much respect due to the Hampton loss and throw in Morgan State loss which I thought was the end of the season until they took Albany to double OT, their defense is good.

Just info but it's the Capital Cup, every player on both teams will play like NFL draft prospects this Saturday as you well know.

I look for a tight one at the end, let's hope a safe one.

Sitting Bull
November 16th, 2023, 05:45 AM
Also Senior Day - 28 to be recognized before the game. Big class.

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. – The William & Mary football team will conclude its regular-season slate when it hosts Richmond for the Capital Cup Game sponsored by C&F Bank at Zable Stadium on Saturday at 1 p.m. The contest will also be the Tribe's Senior Day.

W&M will honor 28 seniors prior to kickoff – Marcus Barnes, Caden Bonoffski, Elijah Booth, Marcus Crowell, Jonathan Egwuatu, Bart Francois, Rian Haigler, Justin Hiller, Garrett Huyck, Malachi Imoh, Kevin Jarrell, Isaiah Jones, Jaedon Joyner, John Kearney, Mattijs Lasore, Nate Lynn, Tyler Oedekoven, Tyler Payne, John Pius, Ryan Poole, Sammy Sarantis, Imari Smith, Drew Sotka, Malcolm Spencer, Brayden Staib, Colton Turner, Will Whitehurst and Bronson Yoder.

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2023, 08:03 AM
Also Senior Day - 28 to be recognized before the game. Big class.

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. – The William & Mary football team will conclude its regular-season slate when it hosts Richmond for the Capital Cup Game sponsored by C&F Bank at Zable Stadium on Saturday at 1 p.m. The contest will also be the Tribe's Senior Day.

W&M will honor 28 seniors prior to kickoff – Marcus Barnes, Caden Bonoffski, Elijah Booth, Marcus Crowell, Jonathan Egwuatu, Bart Francois, Rian Haigler, Justin Hiller, Garrett Huyck, Malachi Imoh, Kevin Jarrell, Isaiah Jones, Jaedon Joyner, John Kearney, Mattijs Lasore, Nate Lynn, Tyler Oedekoven, Tyler Payne, John Pius, Ryan Poole, Sammy Sarantis, Imari Smith, Drew Sotka, Malcolm Spencer, Brayden Staib, Colton Turner, Will Whitehurst and Bronson Yoder.

Everyone including myself saw William & Mary as the preseason favorite

SB, What happened in the Burg this season ?
Yoder coming back next year?

NY Crusader 2010
November 16th, 2023, 08:18 AM

He'd be a 6th year senior next year, if eligible.

Tribe4SF
November 16th, 2023, 08:34 AM
He'd be a 6th year senior next year, if eligible.

He never took a redshirt and only played in four games this year so he does have another year coming. Other guys who have a year coming if they chose are Imoh, Pius, Haigler, Barnes, Francois, Sarantis and Turner.

Sitting Bull
November 16th, 2023, 12:44 PM

I’m not savvy enough to know. From what I read from other Tribe posters, we lost a lot more talent than previously thought - Lester, Pitts, Newton, etc.

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2023, 12:50 PM
I’m not savvy enough to know. From what I read from other Tribe posters, we lost a lot more talent than previously thought - Lester, Pitts, Newton, etc.

I remember Pitts, big dude

Sitting Bull
November 16th, 2023, 01:19 PM
I remember Pitts, big dude

We were also 4-0 this year until Yoder got hurt, 2-4 since.

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2023, 01:31 PM
We were also 4-0 this year until Yoder got hurt, 2-4 since.

Injuries do matter

I watched your game with Wofford, something seemed a little off with the offense. Left some points on the field

KPSUL
November 16th, 2023, 03:35 PM
He never took a redshirt and only played in four games this year so he does have another year coming. Other guys who have a year coming if they chose are Imoh, Pius, Haigler, Barnes, Francois, Sarantis and Turner.

I don't think a medical waiver for a 5th year player works automatically when a player appear in 4 games or less, the way it does for a Redshirt Freshman year. This may be old news, but I believe the player/team has to request the medical waiver from the NCAA.

Tribe4SF
November 16th, 2023, 05:38 PM
I don't think a medical waiver for a 5th year player works automatically when a player appear in 4 games or less, the way it does for a Redshirt Freshman year. This may be old news, but I believe the player/team has to request the medical waiver from the NCAA.

I don't believe it would be medical. He played as a true freshman and every year since so he has a regular redshirt coming.

Sitting Bull
November 17th, 2023, 09:11 AM
Game comments from Richmond Times Dispatch

https://richmond.com/sports/college/schools/university-richmond/caa-preseason-favorite-w-m-assumes-spoiler-role-in-rivalry-game-vs-ur/article_359db142-8550-11ee-9813-cfc9f4634230.html

KPSUL
November 17th, 2023, 05:58 PM
The tribe finds a way to win this one and eecks out the one and only 7-4 playoff bid from the CAA.

NY Crusader 2010
November 17th, 2023, 06:41 PM
The tribe finds a way to win this one and eecks out the one and only 7-4 playoff bid from the CAA.

They'd need a decent amount of help. What's tough is that Richmond might not even end up being considered a quality win. If Richmond loses to W&M to fall to 7-4, they're almost certainly out of the Top 25, with losses to Hampton and Morgan State. W&M also has a bad loss to Towson.

KPSUL
November 17th, 2023, 07:45 PM
They'd need a decent amount of help. What's tough is that Richmond might not even end up being considered a quality win. If Richmond loses to W&M to fall to 7-4, they're almost certainly out of the Top 25, with losses to Hampton and Morgan State. W&M also has a bad loss to Towson.

The Loss to Towson won't look so bad after the beat URI. But I agree, is Richmond loses @ W&M, Richmond is out of the Top 25 and the playoffs, W&M in.

TribeGuy
November 18th, 2023, 06:11 AM
W&M (after winning against Richmond) will easily make the playoffs when:
Illinois St beats N. Dakota
NDSU beats UNI
Austin Peay beats Cent Ark
VMI beats W Carolina
Sac St beats UC-Davis
Char So beats Gardner-Webb
Rob Morris beats E. Illinois
Georgetown beats Holy Cross
HCU beats UIW
Towson beats Rhode Is.
Murray beats Youngstown
Morgan St. beats Howard ( so, NC Central goes to the Celebration Bowl)

That is all that needs to happen.
GO Tribe!!!

NY Crusader 2010
November 18th, 2023, 11:26 AM
W&M (after winning against Richmond) will easily make the playoffs when:
Illinois St beats N. Dakota
NDSU beats UNI
Austin Peay beats Cent Ark
VMI beats W Carolina
Sac St beats UC-Davis
Char So beats Gardner-Webb
Rob Morris beats E. Illinois
Georgetown beats Holy Cross
HCU beats UIW
Towson beats Rhode Is.
Murray beats Youngstown
Morgan St. beats Howard ( so, NC Central goes to the Celebration Bowl)

That is all that needs to happen.
GO Tribe!!!

Looks very similar to the Holy Cross upset wish list! Minus us losing to Georgetown of course.

You can add Lehigh over Lafayette as that would put HC in as an auto (if we beat G'town) as opposed to competing with you guys at the outer edge of the bubble.

Sitting Bull
November 18th, 2023, 06:00 PM
Another one for the books. W&M scores with no time on the clock - forgoes OT extra point try - and instead fails on 2 point conversion pass, losing 27-26. Spiders led 27-17 with 8 minutes remaining.

Given the momentum, few Tribe fans had any issue with the 2 point try,

A beautiful day and near capacity crowd in Williamsburg,

SpiderJPO
November 18th, 2023, 06:45 PM
Great game but don't forget to mention the refs gave you a heck mulligan with the ridiculous interference call with no time left on clock. Both players looking back for ball that no one was going to catch anyway. Game should have been over right then. Cup and series lead back to Spiders! Glad this rivalry is again meaniful for one or both teams each year.

Sitting Bull
November 18th, 2023, 07:57 PM
The last time the home team won in this series was 2017. Makes for a good atmosphere.