View Full Version : Cat/Griz 2023

wapiti
November 12th, 2023, 10:39 AM
For the Big Sky championship and for the 2 seed.
Discuss

100%GRIZ
November 12th, 2023, 10:47 AM
Should be a Dandy - In Missoula & playing for the two seed. Trick plays, Turnovers, & Defense wins this one. Go Griz!

uofmman1122
November 12th, 2023, 10:58 AM
The drama doesn’t get any better than this.

Hauck could exorcise a lot of demons this Saturday with a win.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 12th, 2023, 01:45 PM
The drama doesn’t get any better than this.

Hauck could exorcise a lot of demons this Saturday with a win.

I'd say a rematch in the chipper would equal it or even better it but I am sure you meant as a regular season game. I've always thought it would be cool if this game was not only for the BSC but also a battle between 1 & 2 in the nation so this is close enough for me.

Back then, I just never thought the Bobcats would be able to hold up their end of the deal.:D

Catbooster
November 12th, 2023, 03:24 PM
Should add a poll.

6 weeks or so ago I was pretty confident about this game (though a rivalry like this is never a sure thing) but the Griz have really turned it around. On paper this should be a great game but being Cat/Griz, nothing would shock me.

I still think the Cats will get the win. Put us on opposite sides of the bracket and let's try to get a rematch in Frisco.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 12th, 2023, 06:29 PM
Should add a poll.

6 weeks or so ago I was pretty confident about this game (though a rivalry like this is never a sure thing) but the Griz have really turned it around. On paper this should be a great game but being Cat/Griz, nothing would shock me.

I still think the Cats will get the win. Put us on opposite sides of the bracket and let's try to get a rematch in Frisco.

Those are exactly my thoughts all the way through.

robsnotes4u
November 12th, 2023, 06:36 PM
I'd say a rematch in the chipper would equal it or even better it but I am sure you meant as a regular season game. I've always thought it would be cool if this game was not only for the BSC but also a battle between 1 & 2 in the nation so this is close enough for me.

Back then, I just never thought the Bobcats would be able to hold up their end of the deal.:D

This game isn't the end of the season for either. They could play twice, if so the second is more important. A Cat/Griz FCS would be awesome. Some of us will need to stay back from Frisco and protect the State.

The shootings and crime in Billings are getting out of hand.

I hope both teams stay away from injuries to make runs in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Catbooster
November 13th, 2023, 03:17 PM
Opening line:
https://twitter.com/SportsBetMT/status/1724135707944587512

MSUBobcat
November 13th, 2023, 03:22 PM
Opening line:
https://twitter.com/SportsBetMT/status/1724135707944587512

Spread reflects Massey prediction, but O/U is a bit higher.

dbackjon
November 13th, 2023, 03:36 PM
Cats by 5

SeattleCat
November 13th, 2023, 03:42 PM
Haley is picking the griz, I like it because he always picks the griz and is never right.

Silenoz
November 13th, 2023, 04:28 PM
Cats win 6 out of 10

But you never know. Entire game comes down to us scheming against the run. Obviously that was a debacle in 2022 and... uh whenever that other one was.

uofmman1122
November 13th, 2023, 04:35 PM
Haley is picking the griz, I like it because he always picks the griz and is never right.
He picked the cats last year and the year before.

Catbooster
November 13th, 2023, 04:45 PM
A few interesting stats for trivia
https://twitter.com/88tomcat/status/1723736277814530427
https://twitter.com/88tomcat/status/1723727472783458516
https://twitter.com/s_akem18/status/1723741898869760233

uofmman1122
November 13th, 2023, 04:59 PM
A few interesting stats for trivia
https://twitter.com/88tomcat/status/1723736277814530427
https://twitter.com/88tomcat/status/1723727472783458516
https://twitter.com/s_akem18/status/1723741898869760233
I love it.

Kind of like how in 2019, I really dug into the stats the week before the game, down to common opponents, how Montana's defense was keeping their opponents considerably under their YPC and rushing yard averages all year, and lighting up defenses when they played them at a higher rate than other teams. It told a pretty clear picture: UM had a huge advantage against MSU's one-dimensional offense, and MSU's defense was in trouble.

Then we got dog walked in Bozeman because the stats don't mean anything in this one. lmao

Needless to say, I don't really delve that deeply into it anymore haha. We have to figure out a way to stop your offense, or we're gonna have a bad day. That's pretty much it.

SeattleCat
November 13th, 2023, 05:33 PM
He picked the cats last year and the year before.
I swear he always picks against us.

SeattleCat
November 13th, 2023, 05:34 PM
All I know is this is going to be one helluva game.

uofmman1122
November 13th, 2023, 07:31 PM
I swear he always picks against us.
Griz fans say the same thing lol

Utgrizfan
November 13th, 2023, 08:13 PM
Cats win 6 out of 10

But you never know. Entire game comes down to us scheming against the run. Obviously that was a debacle in 2022 and... uh whenever that other one was.

I mean we shut them down pretty well in 2021 the last time they came to Missoula. Granted I don't think we will completely stop their running game, but if we can replicate what Idaho did in combination with Home Field advantage I like our chances.

MSUBobcat
November 13th, 2023, 08:49 PM
I mean we shut them down pretty well in 2021 the last time they came to Missoula. Granted I don't think we will completely stop their running game, but if we can replicate what Idaho did in combination with Home Field advantage I like our chances.

Well, in 2021 they shut down McKay, who got benched and transferred before the playoffs even started, and thus Tommy Mellott emerged.

robsnotes4u
November 13th, 2023, 09:23 PM

Coach Housewright shut them down. He outsmarted himself, instead of doing what they do best. Sometimes he tries to get to cute. I think the Griz will need to score 30+ to win, and I don't think they can with the three guys returning on defense this week.

Getting Chambers his touches is a major key.

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2023, 07:18 AM
Leopard fan intruding here. Hey, Im rooting for the Cats as my good friend, alumus Ron Holm, RIP about 5 years now, worked at Hanna Autowash Systems in Portland OR as I was marketing the equipment out East. He was in charge of national oil company sales and I was working with Texaco and Shell to garner orders for Hanna. Anyways, true story, I attended the Lafayette-Lehigh game (as I have every year since frosh 1980) in Easton, in 2006 with my former college roommate. Pards win so we go out to Woodys in nearby Forks Twp PA to celebrate after. In the back area they had, of all things, a Griz-Cats watch party! And my roommate knew one of the folks there - I think he was a Griz? Anyways spent some time and told them my connection to the Bobcats. Ron and I would always converse over the phone on how our respective teams were faring during season. Of course I called Ron from that watch party!

Grizzlies82
November 14th, 2023, 11:13 AM
Leopard fan intruding here. Hey, Im rooting for the Cats as my good friend, alumus Ron Holm, RIP about 5 years now, worked at Hanna Autowash Systems in Portland OR as I was marketing the equipment out East. He was in charge of national oil company sales and I was working with Texaco and Shell to garner orders for Hanna. Anyways, true story, I attended the Lafayette-Lehigh game (as I have every year since frosh 1980) in Easton, in 2006 with my former college roommate. Pards win so we go out to Woodys in nearbt Forks Twp PA to celebrate after. In the back area they had, of all things, a Griz-Cats watch party! And my roommate knew one of the folks there - I think he was a Griz? Anyways spent some time and told them my connection to the Bobcats. Ron and I would always converse over the phone on how our respective teams were faring during season.

There is a surprising number of cat/Griz Watch Parties all over the country. Each year you can find one in almost every state, and in some states it can be found in multiple cities. Whether we are in Seattle, Washington or Washington, DC we Montanans are interested in this game.

Often it has a knack for the unexpected to happen. This year, although the game will be played in Missoula, the bobcats are favorites. It appears to be a rather even match up which could come down to the wire. Therefore, one or the other will probably win by 30 points.

It is nice of you to remember your friend Ron. I'm sure he was a good man. Too bad he had to suffer for much of his life as a fan of "Little Brother".
Go Griz!

Catbooster
November 14th, 2023, 11:21 AM
Leopard fan intruding here. Hey, Im rooting for the Cats as my good friend, alumus Ron Holm, RIP about 5 years now, worked at Hanna Autowash Systems in Portland OR as I was marketing the equipment out East. He was in charge of national oil company sales and I was working with Texaco and Shell to garner orders for Hanna. Anyways, true story, I attended the Lafayette-Lehigh game (as I have every year since frosh 1980) in Easton, in 2006 with my former college roommate. Pards win so we go out to Woodys in nearbt Forks Twp PA to celebrate after. In the back area they had, of all things, a Griz-Cats watch party! And my roommate knew one of the folks there - I think he was a Griz? Anyways spent some time and told them my connection to the Bobcats. Ron and I would always converse over the phone on how our respective teams were faring during season.
It doesn't look like there are any official watch parties in New Jersey, but here's a list of them in case you're in a different area that day. I'm sure there are other parties various places but these are the ones where an alumnus from one of the schools is organized enough to get it reserved early enough to get on the list, etc.

https://www.msuaf.org/s/1584/index.aspx?sid=1584&gid=1&pgid=401

Roamingriz
November 14th, 2023, 12:04 PM
Lots of crossover but these are the Griz flavored ones.

https://www.grizalum.org/events/grizcat/watch-parties.php

MSUBobcat
November 14th, 2023, 12:21 PM
It doesn't look like there are any official watch parties in New Jersey, but here's a list of them in case you're in a different area that day. I'm sure there are other parties various places but these are the ones where an alumnus from one of the schools is organized enough to get it reserved early enough to get on the list, etc.

I will be partaking in the Denver crossover party at Brooklyn's at BALL ARENA (leave it to dUMb to tell their fans to go to the Pepsi Center, which it hasn't been since 2020 xlolx). When the NFL schedules were announced, we jumped on and bought tickets to Broncos (her team) vs. Vikings (my team) without paying attention to the date. So we have to go down to Denver a day earlier than planned so we aren't driving during the Brawl.

We also bought tickets to the season opener against the Raiders, which meant we were in flight for most of the SDSU game xoopsx. Really bad planning for our NFL vs MSU gamedays this year.

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2023, 12:59 PM

Thank you Catbooster. I will be in Bethlehem PA for the Lafayette-Lehigh game (my 44th, never missed one since frosh year, 1980) and I will check the list. My former roommate and his son (yikes - a Lehigh grad..true!!) will be coming. Maybe we can find good eating place around Bethlehem that has the game. There were like 25 or so folks at the one in Forks Twp with kids and all.

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2023, 01:07 PM

Thx Roamin...aye, checked both your folks sites (I presume they interlap) and no Lehigh Valley ones. PA is only in Philly and suburban Pitt (Monroeville). Im staying the Sat night because Im going to Jim Thorpe PA on Sunday. Since Eagles are off this Sunday (play Monday night vs Chiefs) I dont have to be in front of TV Sunday afternoon. Hey could any of you good folks tell me what channel the game is on? Seriously nothing could be finer than celebrating a Leopard win AND watching your game at the same time as hoisting the brews. I could prob pay bartender to put it on ONE tv right? Thanks Grizzlies82 for your thoughts about Ron. Here is our company, Hanna and Coleman merged in 2005: www.colemanhanna.com

MSUBobcat
November 14th, 2023, 01:22 PM
Thx Roamin...aye, checked both your folks sites (I presume they interlap) and no Lehigh Valley ones. PA is only in Philly and suburban Pitt (Monroeville). Im staying the Sat night because Im going to Jim Thorpe PA on Sunday. Since Eagles are off this Sunday (play Monday night vs Chiefs) I dont have to be in front of TV Sunday afternoon. Hey could any of you good folks tell me what channel the game is on? Seriously nothing could be finer than celebrating a Leopard win AND watching your game at the same time as hoisting the brews. I could prob pay bartender to put it on ONE tv right? Thanks Grizzlies82 for your thoughts about Ron. Here is our company, Hanna and Coleman merged in 2005: www.colemanhanna.com (http://www.colemanhanna.com)

No nationwide TV station broadcast (it's on the local TV chain, Montana Television Network), but it IS on ESPN+ so any sports bar worth its salt should be able to help you out.

SeattleCat
November 14th, 2023, 03:35 PM
No nationwide TV station broadcast (it's on the local TV chain, Montana Television Network), but it IS on ESPN+ so any sports bar worth its salt should be able to help you out.

Your right any sports bar should have ESPN+ but man a lot don't. I was in the Tri-cities, at a sports bar owned by a MSU alum and still didn't have ESPN +... Just sad.

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2023, 04:00 PM
Your right any sports bar should have ESPN+ but man a lot don't. I was in the Tri-cities, at a sports bar owned by a MSU alum and still didn't have ESPN +... Just sad.

Thanks sad but true. Prior to our Colgate game I called 4 or 5 bars here on Long Beach Island NJ (LBI) and got apologetic responses: they didnt have. I tried to follow on ESPN phone game stats but it SUCKS. BTW on a local LBI Facebook site I posted a couple years ago a car parked here that had Montana plates. I said good to see you if you know this person from Big Sky country. ALSO, back in early Sept 2021 I flew into Denver to drive down to Colorado Springs to watch Lafayette first game vs Air Force ever - and furthest west game (beating 2011 in Fargo vs NDSU which I also attended) which the Leopards being 44 point dogs ONLY lost by 21 - AF got a TO at midfield and eventually scored with 6 mins left. After that I took a week off to drive the Mountain West. Stayed in Cheyenne (loved it) and over to SD to see Rushmore and Badlands first time. I stayed at historic Franklin Hotel in Deadwood, SD. Of coutse trying to clear states off my 50 list one morning drove an hour to Alzada MT just over the border and had lunch at the only cafe there and drove back. I want to do more of MT of course and see Custer Last Stand site (I read a very good book about that). I have left the big two as I call them - HI and AK as well as ID, AL and OK. But theres more to Montana. Damn, um tourism board, can we adopt that as a great slogan! I just made it up.

SeattleCat
November 14th, 2023, 04:47 PM
Thanks sad but true. Prior to our Colgate game I called 4 or 5 bars here on Long Beach Island NJ (LBI) and got apologetic responses: they didnt have. I tried to follow on ESPN phone game stats but it SUCKS. BTW on a local LBI Facebook site I posted a couple years ago a car parked here that had Montana plates. I said good to see you if you know this person from Big Sky country. ALSO, back in early Sept 2021 I flew into Denver to drive down to Colorado Springs to watch Lafayette first game vs Air Force ever - and furthest west game (beating 2011 in Fargo vs NDSU which I also attended). After that I took a week off to drive the Mountain West. Stayed in Cheyenne (loved it) and over to SD to see Rushmore and Badlands first time. I stayed at historic Franklin Hotel in Deadwood, SD. Of coutse trying to clear states off my 50 list one morning drove an hour to Alzada MT just over the border and had lunch at the only cafe there and drove back. I want to do more of MT of course and see Custer Last Stand site (I read a very good book about that). I have left the big two as I cal them - HI and AK as well as ID, AL and OK. But theres more to Montana. Damn, um tourism board, can we adopt that as a great slogan! I just made it up.

You need to hit Western Montana, Eastern Montana is what we like to call West Dakota... because it's flat and boring. You'll need to venture West of Billings, everything East might as well be the Dakotas or Canada, first stop, Red lodge MT. Great little town, lots of shops and outdoor activities. Next place I'd stop would be Livingston, other great little town know for their good eats and 90mph winds. From there head South into the Paradise Valley, one of the most picturesque places on planet (This is where the Yellowstone ranch from TV is supposed to be set), Stay the Night in Chico Hotsprings and continue you're journey South to Yellowstone National park. Enjoy the sites in Yellowstone, just don't pet the Buffalo or the bears that's a no no and a good way to end up in the news and on Tic Tok. After a REALLY REALLY slow drive through Yellowstone I'd stop at West Yellowstone for dinner and room. Then continue North toward Big Sky, you can stop there, its beautiful but not much beyond that in the summer unless you like Mountain hiking and wildlife that may or may not eat you. Staying on the same road will deliver you to 4 corners (West Bozeman/South Belgrade) if you turn just before the old strip club (I think its a steakhouse now) on Cottonwood Rd that will take you on a super scenic back road into Bozeman and right into MSU. (Hyalite road off Cottonwood is a nice road up into the Mountains to a reservoir and many trailheads of world class hiking). From Bozeman you really have to make a choice whether you want to take in Southwestern Montana or Northwestern Montana. Southwestern Montana is Gold country, if you like the Old West, Southwestern MT is for you. If you like the Wilderness then head to Glacier National Park and the Kalispell area, I would suggest taking a road off I90 just West of Three Forks called Milligan Canyon Road/Boulder Cut-off. Take a right a follow this road all the way to HWY 69 (This road starts out asphalt but quickly turns to dirt, don't take a car you'll need an SUV) from this dirt road you most likely see some great wildlife (Elk, Deer, Coyotes, even Wolves if you're lucky and a whole bunch of cows). After you hit HWY 69 turn right and head to Boulder, its a beautiful drive through a river valley, then from Boulder North to Helena. Hop of I15 at the HWY 12 exit and head west all the way through Helena, you can stop in old Downtown Helena if you'd like, its pretty cool, but then continue on HWY to Avon. Take MT 141 to Helmsville then West on 200 to clearwater, then North at the giant Cow (hwy 83) you can't miss it and everyone who's anyone from MT knows exactly what I'm talking about. HWY 83 will take you on the East side of Flathead lake and on into Kalispell.

For SW Montana you're going to want hit Ennis, Virginia City, Butte, Anaconda, Phillipsburg and over to Hamilton and up to Missoula. Enjoy the trip and 1 piece of advice, if you see a restaurant or Bar in the middle of nowhere, stop and eat there its most likely really good food.

MSUBobcat
November 14th, 2023, 05:58 PM
You need to hit Western Montana, Eastern Montana is what we like to call West Dakota... because it's flat and boring. You'll need to venture West of Billings, everything East might as well be the Dakotas or Canada, first stop, Red lodge MT. Great little town, lots of shops and outdoor activities. Next place I'd stop would be Livingston, other great little town know for their good eats and 90mph winds. From there head South into the Paradise Valley, one of the most picturesque places on planet (This is where the Yellowstone ranch from TV is supposed to be set), Stay the Night in Chico Hotsprings and continue you're journey South to Yellowstone National park. Enjoy the sites in Yellowstone, just don't pet the Buffalo or the bears that's a no no and a good way to end up in the news and on Tic Tok. After a REALLY REALLY slow drive through Yellowstone I'd stop at West Yellowstone for dinner and room. Then continue North toward Big Sky, you can stop there, its beautiful but not much beyond that in the summer unless you like Mountain hiking and wildlife that may or may not eat you. Staying on the same road will deliver you to 4 corners (West Bozeman/South Belgrade) if you turn just before the old strip club (I think its a steakhouse now) on Cottonwood Rd that will take you on a super scenic back road into Bozeman and right into MSU. (Hyalite road off Cottonwood is a nice road up into the Mountains to a reservoir and many trailheads of world class hiking). From Bozeman you really have to make a choice whether you want to take in Southwestern Montana or Northwestern Montana. Southwestern Montana is Gold country, if you like the Old West, Southwestern MT is for you. If you like the Wilderness then head to Glacier National Park and the Kalispell area, I would suggest taking a road off I90 just West of Three Forks called Milligan Canyon Road/Boulder Cut-off. Take a right a follow this road all the way to HWY 69 (This road starts out asphalt but quickly turns to dirt, don't take a car you'll need an SUV) from this dirt road you most likely see some great wildlife (Elk, Deer, Coyotes, even Wolves if you're lucky and a whole bunch of cows). After you hit HWY 69 turn right and head to Boulder, its a beautiful drive through a river valley, then from Boulder North to Helena. Hop of I15 at the HWY 12 exit and head west all the way through Helena, you can stop in old Downtown Helena if you'd like, its pretty cool, but then continue on HWY to Avon. Take MT 141 to Helmsville then West on 200 to clearwater, then North at the giant Cow (hwy 83) you can't miss it and everyone who's anyone from MT knows exactly what I'm talking about. HWY 83 will take you on the East side of Flathead lake and on into Kalispell.

For SW Montana you're going to want hit Ennis, Virginia City, Butte, Anaconda, Phillipsburg and over to Hamilton and up to Missoula. Enjoy the trip and 1 piece of advice, if you see a restaurant or Bar in the middle of nowhere, stop and eat there its most likely really good food.

All very good advice, but the start of the "trip" lacks er... direction. If you were flying into Billings, go south toward Cody, WY. I don't typically recommend WY for anything, but it's short so I allow it. You can go into Cody if you want to see what it offers, but we usually turn off 18 miles before that onto Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, then motor up to Cooke City for a bite and beverage at Miner's Saloon. Then backtrack slightly and head down the Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge, another quaint mountain town. You can do it the reverse way (Red Lodge>Beartooth Hwy>Cooke City>Chief Joseph>Laurel) but we prefer the views going the way I described, and if your plan was to continue west there's a nice drive thru Roscoe ("Where the Hell is Roscoe!"-Grizzly Bar slogan) and connects to I-90 at Columbus, saving some backtracking.

End thread derailment.

stonemd
November 14th, 2023, 06:22 PM
For the Big Sky championship and for the 2 seed.
Discuss

oops you meant 3 seed

uofmman1122
November 14th, 2023, 06:43 PM
oops you meant 3 seed
If MSU wins, it might be a tough call, but there's no way Furman is getting the #2 seed over a 10-1 Montana team that has 3 top 10 wins.

Furman has 0. MSU would have 2 from a much harder schedule, so it's not at all out of line to say the winner would get it over them.

robsnotes4u
November 15th, 2023, 08:12 AM
If MSU wins, it might be a tough call, but there's no way Furman is getting the #2 seed over a 10-1 Montana team that has 3 top 10 wins.

Furman has 0. MSU would have 2 from a much harder schedule, so it's not at all out of line to say the winner would get it over them.

Correct, people forget how much SOS plays into the Committee discussions. How teams lost and who the lost to makes a difference. A one possession loss to the #1 team on the road carries can carry as much weight as any of Furmans wins.

What did 11—0 give Holy Cross last year? 8 seed

Silenoz
November 15th, 2023, 12:26 PM
just before the old strip club (I think its a steakhouse now)
No, it's a deli or something. Where every lunch is like $20, which is pretty par for the course for Bozeman unfortunately.

SeattleCat
November 15th, 2023, 01:19 PM
No, it's a deli or something. Where every lunch is like $20, which is pretty par for the course for Bozeman unfortunately.

Well still in the business of serving meat ;)xlolx

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2023, 04:17 PM
Hey thanks for the routings Cat and Bobcat. Yeah my intent is to hit the MT, Yellowstone and ID. Thanks so much!! GO LEOPARDS

robsnotes4u
November 16th, 2023, 08:21 AM
Hey thanks for the routings Cat and Bobcat. Yeah my intent is to hit the MT, Yellowstone and ID. Thanks so much!! GO LEOPARDS

When you get this way, and if you are heading through the park, send me a message. Living in Billings, we go to YNP about 6 times a year. One one of two places, the other is Yellowtail Dam, we take friends and relatives that visit.

I am an avid outdoorsman, and know specific area where we almost see specific species; Mountain goats on Beartooth pass, sheep, elk , moose, bears (12 in one day two years ago), and wolves. I would be more than happy to send you a map.

Every other year I host German Wrestlers for the Montana/German Cultural Exchange Program and we do a two day tour off the park. A great a experience for the young men, and women

robsnotes4u
November 16th, 2023, 08:24 AM
A lot of things are the same with these two teams last year and this year, one difference I see after watching last years game again, is the Griz quarterbacks. A lot of people are high on McDowell, he has done a good job since taking over, but I think he is at least a step or two back from Johnson.

Thoughts

acbearkat
November 16th, 2023, 08:53 AM
I'll watch some of the game and hopefully the audio is good on the TV. When I watched some games on ESPN+ about a month ago, the audio on the TV wasn't good.

wapiti
November 16th, 2023, 09:04 AM
Who is doing the play by play and commentary for the game on local TV this year?

I found this: https://www.montanasports.com/college/brawl-of-the-wild-how-to-watch-the-122nd-meeting-between-montana-and-montana-state
Jay Kohn will handle the play-by-play call. He will be joined in the broadcast booth by color analysts Ty Gregorak and Marty Mornhinweg,

I much prefer Ty's commentary over Marty's. Ty does a much better job of not showing a bias for either team and is much more knowledgeable about the game and explaining it.

Grizalltheway
November 16th, 2023, 09:22 AM
Who is doing the play by play and commentary for the game on local TV this year?

I found this: https://www.montanasports.com/college/brawl-of-the-wild-how-to-watch-the-122nd-meeting-between-montana-and-montana-state
Jay Kohn will handle the play-by-play call. He will be joined in the broadcast booth by color analysts Ty Gregorak and Marty Mornhinweg,

I much prefer Ty's commentary over Marty's. Ty does a much better job of not showing a bias for either team and is much more knowledgeable about the game and explaining it.

That's a ridiculous statement. Marty coached in the NFL for 20 years.

bobcathpdevil56
November 16th, 2023, 09:34 AM

The only good TV Marty ever made was the funny clip when he was arguing with Favre.

wapiti
November 16th, 2023, 09:40 AM

Of course you would love Marty's bias for one team over the other.

MSUBobcat
November 16th, 2023, 09:51 AM

What does the NFL have to do with his bias seeping out in his commentary?

Grizalltheway
November 16th, 2023, 10:00 AM
If you guys weren't MSdUi grads, you would have been able to infer that I was referring to the "much more knowledgeable about the game" portion of his post. xcoffeex

wapiti
November 16th, 2023, 10:04 AM
If you guys weren't MSdUi grads, you would have been able to infer that I was referring to the "much more knowledgeable about the game" portion of his post. xcoffeex

Ty does a much better job of explaining that knowledge to the audience without a bias.

Roamingriz
November 16th, 2023, 10:23 AM
Marty is better at the non sequitur, which adds to the entertainment in a way that Ty does not. Marty is inadvertently funnier.

uofmman1122
November 16th, 2023, 10:25 AM
Not sure what you were referencing here. Haley picked the cats for the 3rd year in a row lol

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/11/fcs-football-week-12-preview-and-predictions-tighten-the-seatbelt-before-a-wild-finish/

uofmman1122
November 16th, 2023, 10:30 AM
Ty does a much better job of explaining that knowledge to the audience without a bias.
You were the one who said Ty was "much more knowledgeable about about the game", which is demonstrably untrue. That's what GATW had issue with.

I think Marty would be a lot better if he didn't have to constantly carry that hack Jay Kohn, who is so awful.

wapiti
November 16th, 2023, 11:00 AM
You were the one who said Ty was "much more knowledgeable about about the game", which is demonstrably untrue. That's what GATW had issue with.

I think Marty would be a lot better if he didn't have to constantly carry that hack Jay Kohn, who is so awful.

Part of having "more knowledge" is being able to explain that knowledge to an audience. Marty struggles to explain; Ty does not. Thus Ty has more knowledge because he is much better at articulating that knowledge.

uofmman1122
November 16th, 2023, 11:37 AM
Part of having "more knowledge" is being able to explain that knowledge to an audience. Marty struggles to explain; Ty does not. Thus Ty has more knowledge because he is much better at articulating that knowledge.
You're just making up your own definition of something and then telling people they're wrong about it lmao

MSUBobcat
November 16th, 2023, 11:40 AM
Holy ****... this is the worst Brawl of the Wild thread that I can think of. The animosity has sure died down as us posters have aged! ESG, GCG!

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2023, 12:17 PM
When you get this way, and if you are heading through the park, send me a message. Living in Billings, we go to YNP about 6 times a year. One one of two places, the other is Yellowtail Dam, we take friends and relatives that visit.

I am an avid outdoorsman, and know specific area where we almost see specific species; Mountain goats on Beartooth pass, sheep, elk , moose, bears (12 in one day two years ago), and wolves. I would be more than happy to send you a map.

Every other year I host German Wrestlers for the Montana/German Cultural Exchange Program and we do a two day tour off the park. A great a experience for the young men, and women

Yes thanks Rob. Added you as friend sir

SeattleCat
November 16th, 2023, 03:58 PM
https://x.com/MSUBobcats_FB/status/1725237636523315703

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2023, 04:40 PM
Demo'ing my new and improved matchup stats breakdown I'll be doing for the playoff game threads. Let me know what you think I should add/remove/update:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53336552526_37f54f0bb9_b.jpg

mvemjsunpx
November 16th, 2023, 05:28 PM

No kidding. Marty is annoying, but likable. Kohn doesn't even know what's going on half the time.

Silenoz
November 16th, 2023, 05:31 PM

I knew what you meant.

Marty's announcing faults aside, I think it's fair to say he "knows the game"

uofmman1122
November 16th, 2023, 05:42 PM
No kidding. Marty is annoying, but likable. Kohn doesn't even know what's going on half the time.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/836903088664871005/1174856554772697180/wolverine.png

robsnotes4u
November 16th, 2023, 07:05 PM
Yes thanks Rob. Added you as friend sir

You are welocme

robsnotes4u
November 16th, 2023, 07:09 PM
Demo'ing my new and improved matchup stats breakdown I'll be doing for the playoff game threads. Let me know what you think I should add/remove/update:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53336552526_37f54f0bb9_b.jpg

Great job

fencer24
November 16th, 2023, 10:57 PM
I'm amazed at how the two teams are pitting strength against strength so often. I know it doesn't mean much, and we will have to wait until around 4 p.m. Saturday to be sure, but the numbers indicate a really close game.
And then there's Wa-Griz.

uofmman1122
November 17th, 2023, 12:04 AM
I'm amazed at how the two teams are pitting strength against strength so often. I know it doesn't mean much, and we will have to wait until around 4 p.m. Saturday to be sure, but the numbers indicate a really close game.
And then there's Wa-Griz.
The cats have had a nasty habit of proving our “strength” (rush defense) isn’t actually much of a strength. Really hoping this is the year we finally shut down their option rushing attack.

I remember last year before the Brawl, we were like the #5 rushing defense in FCS, and after the NDSU game, we had dropped to like 55th. Gotta do a better job this year.

AshevilleApp2
November 17th, 2023, 03:04 AM
Will it be cold? Will it be loud?

mvemjsunpx
November 17th, 2023, 07:46 AM
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/836903088664871005/1174856554772697180/wolverine.png

Hell, I'd settle for Greyson Davis at this point. xrotatehx

SeattleCat
November 17th, 2023, 08:33 AM
The cats have had a nasty habit of proving our “strength” (rush defense) isn’t actually much of a strength. Really hoping this is the year we finally shut down their option rushing attack.

I remember last year before the Brawl, we were like the #5 rushing defense in FCS, and after the NDSU game, we had dropped to like 55th. Gotta do a better job this year.

It can be done, but playing super aggressive like the griz like plays right into MSU's run game. MSU has struggled with teams not biting on presnap motions and staying at home, playing their gap. griz Lbs need to be patient and not be chasing guys presnap. If Tommy figures out what you're doing, you're F'd.

acbearkat
November 17th, 2023, 09:12 AM

I would imagine you are being sarcastic.

MSUBobcat
November 17th, 2023, 09:47 AM

Actually... not cold. Sunny and low 40's during the game.

It's only cold and loud for playoff games against teams from the south, I think. xlolx

Grizzlies82
November 17th, 2023, 10:27 AM

Always cold & loud at Univ of Montana.

Forecast was 38 degrees at kickoff (not a factor as this is a typical June day for Bozeman), though the "LOUD" part will be.
They will be able to hear the stadium crowd 200 miles away in Bozeman. That's without the use of the bobcat's stupid tiny cowbells or other noise makers.

bonarae
November 18th, 2023, 03:56 AM
No more marching bands in this and future Cat/Griz games...

https://www.kbzk.com/news/montana-news/montana-montana-state-agree-visiting-bands-wont-play-at-cat-griz-going-forward

AshevilleApp2
November 18th, 2023, 09:38 AM
I would imagine you are being sarcastic.

Nah. Just old.

Catbooster
November 18th, 2023, 12:00 PM
No more marching bands in this and future Cat/Griz games...

https://www.kbzk.com/news/montana-news/montana-montana-state-agree-visiting-bands-wont-play-at-cat-griz-going-forward
To clarify for those who don't click your link: The home marching band will be there but the visiting team will no longer bring theirs.

MSUBobcat
November 18th, 2023, 12:27 PM
All settled in at the watch party in Denver. Looks like there'll be a pretty close to capacity (~500) crowd, pretty evenly split. Should get wild. Let's ****ing go!

POD Knows
November 18th, 2023, 02:22 PM
What in the name of everything holy was Montana doing putting in a back up in a two minute drill when the first string guy was shredding MSU. This might be the dumbest thing I have seen in a while

semobison
November 18th, 2023, 02:32 PM
17-0 Griz at the half. Bobcats attempt 3 passes in the first half, 0 completions!

POD Knows
November 18th, 2023, 02:43 PM
17-0 Griz at the half. Bobcats attempt 3 passes in the first half, 0 completions!
20-0. Did you watch the last 2 minutes. The collective coaching IQ was a ZERO.

SeattleCat
November 18th, 2023, 03:58 PM
What an absolute wreck, grats griz fans good win.

Silenoz
November 18th, 2023, 05:51 PM
I will no longer act like I have any idea how these games will go. Fool me 7 times Cat Griz.

Catbooster
November 18th, 2023, 05:54 PM
That wasn't what I wanted. Congrats to the Griz. They were the better team today by a lot. Considering where they were a month or two ago, that is quite the turn-around and I'll have to give Bobby and the team credit for their work.

Happily, I don't think there were any injuries so that won't hurt either team in the playoffs.

wapiti
November 18th, 2023, 07:05 PM
Congrats to the Griz. They were the better team .

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2023, 07:43 PM
I've watched MSU in every game this season and I know damn well that today they did not play anywhere near their ceiling and it stings hard when you watch your team not get it done. We played well, had a good strategy and got this one. It feels great to be on this side of table. Two really good teams that might meet again but I think the Cats will do some damage in the playoffs and have a rematch with SDSU on that side of the bracket.

To watch that many Montana boys out there today (92) playing FCS football for really high level football was great to see. Much respect for my Montana friends in Bozeman and I am sure you will be celebrating soon.

Grizzlies82
November 18th, 2023, 07:44 PM
What in the name of everything holy was Montana doing putting in a back up in a two minute drill when the first string guy was shredding MSU. This might be the dumbest thing I have seen in a while

I too would have loved the coaches to put the pedal down with the starter and score another 1st half TD. However, the coaches were giving a true Freshman QB playing time. He is now the #2 QB and has only played in three games. So it's understandable especially since it's the cat/Griz game.

POD Knows
November 18th, 2023, 08:06 PM
I too would have loved the coaches to put the pedal down with the starter and score another 1st half TD. However, the coaches were giving a true Freshman QB playing time. He is now the #2 QB and has only played in three games. So it's understandable especially since it's the cat/Griz game.
Are you messing with me? This game was huge and they had a chance to basically put it away at halftime. It was a good thing that MSU doubled down on the stupidity by calling a time out with 5 seconds left and then leaving 1 on the clock after the sack and then rough the kicker on a long field goal.

Anyway. The Griz looked real good today. Game was never really in doubt. Offensive execution and play calling by MSU was offensive. The Montana LBs are real good sideline to sideline. Different gear than a lot of teams

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2023, 08:34 PM
Are you messing with me? This game was huge and they had a chance to basically put it away at halftime. It was a good thing that MSU doubled down on the stupidity by calling a time out with 5 seconds left and then leaving 1 on the clock after the sack and then rough the kicker on a long field goal.

Anyway. The Griz looked real good today. Game was never really in doubt. Offensive execution and play calling by MSU was offensive. The Montana LBs are real good sideline to sideline. Different gear than a lot of teams

I can see the point but I think the coaches have been trying to get him some time because this is the first year in like 6 or 7 that we had a starter make it through the season or at least have them at the end of the season. It has cost us so prepping the kid and having some pressure on him after a few series has been what they have been doing for several weeks now. It was pretty short time left and the mistakes made on that drive were not his, but granted it would have been better with Clif I would think.

I'd have done it your way but I didn't have any problem with the way did it even at the time they did so.

Grizzlies82
November 18th, 2023, 08:36 PM

I believe you nailed it, certainly by the end of the first half the "Game was never really in doubt". I believe that's what the Grizzlies coaches felt and saw an excellent window (2 minutes before half) to give the freshman some valuable experience.

POD Knows
November 18th, 2023, 09:03 PM
I believe you nailed it, certainly by the end of the first half the "Game was never really in doubt". I believe that's what the Grizzlies coaches felt and saw an excellent window (2 minutes before half) to give the freshman some valuable experience.
Nah. Finish the half strong and there would have been plenty of time for him to get reps in the second half.

uofmman1122
November 18th, 2023, 09:17 PM
EZ GAME!! Let’s go Griz!

What a day!!

MTGRIZ
November 22nd, 2023, 10:25 AM
Great Video that was done.

https://x.com/BSullytyme/status/1727092552409522474?s=20

Pards Rule
November 22nd, 2023, 10:34 AM
Hey Griz fans...maybe we will be out there? A tough game vs Delaware! LETS GO PARDS!

Bisonator
November 22nd, 2023, 11:18 AM

Great vid thanks for sharing!

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2023, 12:20 PM

Thanks. That was very nice. Initially Link seemed to baulk then it worked fine!